Lion Like a Hunting Flame ...

Murielle

Jul 9, 2009, 2:34:50 PM7/9/09
... Seriously, does anyone know, or even have an inkling, what this title
means, or refers to?

Murielle

Libby

Jul 9, 2009, 6:32:24 PM7/9/09
In message <hLq5m.17726$dd4....@newsfe10.iad>, Murielle
<muri...@invalid.com> writes

>... Seriously, does anyone know, or even have an inkling, what this title
>means, or refers to?
>
>Murielle

It's Millennium - they do obscure titles from time to time! ;)

It's "Loin", not "Lion". Helpful links as follows:

<http://www.millennium-thisiswhoweare.net/> (the starting point for a
lot of MM info)

In particular:

<http://millennium-thisiswhoweare.net/cmeacg/episode.php?mlm_code=111>

----quote----
The episode's title is taken from "The Ballad of the Long-Legged Bait"
by Dylan Thomas. Among the quatrains included in the six-page poem is
one that reads, "And steeples pierce the cloud on her shoulder / And the
streets that the fisherman combed / When his long-legged flesh was a
wind on fire / And his loin was like a hunting flame." The poem is known
for its surrealistic metaphors concerning sex and sexuality and, as a
result, the line chosen as the episode's title seems an apt means of
depicting the fantasy-prone sexual mindset of serial killer Art Nesbitt.

----end quote----

Plus: There's a probable reason why the killer was named "Nesbitt".
--
Libby

Murielle

Jul 10, 2009, 2:00:44 AM7/10/09

"Libby" <Ad...@chelonium.plus.com> wrote in message

Thank you, Libby! I watched the series from the first episode on, taped it,
then bought the series on DVD. I've watched the entire series countless
times and I always read "Lion". You are the first person whose pointed that
out to me. What a difference that makes, even without the Thomas reference.
(head desk!)

I've always suspected I'm a bit dyslexic, but seriously this is
embarrassing.

Murielle

Libby

Jul 10, 2009, 3:08:20 PM7/10/09
In message <jOA5m.975$oG1...@newsfe12.iad>, Murielle
<muri...@invalid.com> writes

Murielle,

I'm glad to have helped solve the puzzle for you. But I don't think
there's any need for embarrassment. Given the word "Hunting" in the
title, it's pretty natural to see the first word as "Lion" as those two
go together for most people.

And I wouldn't have got the literary reference if someone way more into
literature hadn't first pointed it out. Originally I thought it was just
some strange idea by the writer!

--
Libby

Murielle

Jul 12, 2009, 12:25:42 AM7/12/09

"Libby" <Ad...@chelonium.plus.com> wrote in message

Hi Libby,

LOL! It's just that it's been over ten years since I first watched the
episode.

I've loved Dylan Thomas since my early twenties. I may even have read the
"The Ballad of the Long Legged Bait" but I'd be willing to bet real money I
read "lion" there too. I should go check my DT books and see if it's in
there.

Actually, just looking it up on google would be easier.

Murielle