Drunken scenes on MASH

Kevin Bergamine

Feb 3, 2002, 3:14:47 PM2/3/02
In many of the episodes all of the MASH members {yes, even Radar}
got totally drunk. Which of the MASH members do you think was the
funniest when inibriated {or which of the MASH actors did an excellent
job of portraying his or her character drunk}?
I liked the two episodes where Hawkeye and BJ were drunk while
conjuring up jokes on Frank and also on Penobscott. They were funny
waddling about while giggling and figuring out what to do to them. What
do you think?

Feb 3, 2002, 10:01:42 PM2/3/02
Henry was the King. Maclean was the best at playing drunk.

.H.

Andrew Smith

Feb 3, 2002, 7:47:32 PM2/3/02
Well, if I had to rank them :)

Potter
Henry
Charles
Margaret
Hawkeye
Frank
Radar
Klinger
Father Mulcahy
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
The camp mutt
BJ

;)

Tony Perodeau

Feb 4, 2002, 2:43:33 AM2/4/02
Andrew Smith <Andrew....@its.monash.edu.au> wrote in message news:<3C5DDA24...@its.monash.edu.au>...

I agree with the above rankings, except that I'd put Klinger near the
top with Potter, Henry and Charles.

-Tony

John Tidwell

Feb 4, 2002, 6:51:53 AM2/4/02
Silly question time....

We've seen Hawkeye drinking.

We've seen Hawkeye hung over.

When did we actually see him drunk?

John

CartoonB

Feb 4, 2002, 8:50:44 AM2/4/02

Welcome to Korea
Alcoholics Unanimous
Margaret's Marriage

I'm sure there are more; I just can't think of any right now. I'll post again
if I think of more.

Abyssinia,
Barrie

"All I know is what they taught me at command school. There are certain rules
about a war and rule number one is young men die. And rule number two is
doctors can't change rule number one." -- Lt. Col. Henry Blake

Ernest Tomlinson

Feb 4, 2002, 12:13:52 PM2/4/02
On Sun, 3 Feb 2002 19:01:42 -0800, "H" <D...@netcom.ca> wrote:

>Henry was the King. Maclean was the best at playing drunk.

He certainly was. His line from the episode with Leslie
Nielsen, when he's accused of being drunk, is classic (how
does it go? something like, "That's a lie, and I'm going
to press charges, the _minute_ I'm sober.")

Charles was a good drunk, too; I like the line where he's
celebrating his supposed appointment as Chief of Thoracic
Surgery at <mumble>. Saying "Thoraxix" is a nice touch,
but I love it when he drunkenly accuses Hawkeye and BJ
of having "beer-soaked brains".

The least satisfying drunken performances came from BJ,
I think; I remember the scene where he staggers back into
the Swamp, after he and Klinger go on their anti-Radar
rampage. Neither when he's acting silly, nor later in
the scene when he suddenly gets all angry and weepy,
is Mike Farrell convincing. But then, Mike Farrell was
never a very convincing actor. <runs away before the flame-
war starts>

Cheers,

Ernest.

Kahvis

Feb 4, 2002, 1:27:32 PM2/4/02
<<The least satisfying drunken performances came from BJ,
I think; I remember the scene where he staggers back into
the Swamp, after he and Klinger go on their anti-Radar
rampage. Neither when he's acting silly, nor later in
the scene when he suddenly gets all angry and weepy,
is Mike Farrell convincing. But then, Mike Farrell was
never a very convincing actor. <runs away before the flame-
war starts>>
As someone who happily pisses on the name of Mikle Farrell whenever I get the
chance, I gotta disagree here. I thought his scene with Hawkeye in Potter's
office, where he apologized for slugging him and bemoans not seeing important
events in his daughter's life, and admitting his anger towards not only Radar
but Trapper is misplaced was one of the show's best moments.
--Evil Lord Kahvis--
Vist the Imperial Kahvis Website at:
http://hometown.aol.com/kahvis/page1.html

AOHELL actually

Feb 4, 2002, 2:01:02 PM2/4/02
>"H" D...@netcom.ca
>Date: 02/03/2002 10:01 PM Eastern

>Henry was the King. Maclean was the best at playing drunk.

I'll second that.

Eddie
======================================
"We will not tire, we will not falter and we will not fail"
George Dubya Bush

George Hiebert

Feb 4, 2002, 3:08:36 PM2/4/02

"H" <D...@netcom.ca> wrote in message

> Henry was the King. Maclean was the best at playing drunk.

Yup, Mac plays the best drunk, hands down.
My second choice is Linville. You don't see Frank drunk too often but when
you do it's gold.
Least fave is Farrell, I'm not convinced.
I also cringe on occasion when Potter is drunk, though he has had some good
scenes, like when that general who wants a personal physician drops by his
office.

David Long

Feb 4, 2002, 11:27:10 PM2/4/02
I'll add to the list of episodes with Hawkeye drunk....

Abyssinia, Henry
Fallen Idol
A Night at Rosie's
Private Charles Lamb
Der Tag

...and I'm sure there are more....

Abyssinia,
David Long

Best Care Anywhere
http://www.bestcareanywhere.net
(to return soon)

"CartoonB" <cart...@aol.com> wrote in message

David Long

Feb 4, 2002, 11:34:24 PM2/4/02
I agree as well. Stevenson played a very convincing drunk. One of my
favorite scenes with him drunk was in "The Ringbanger" (Leslie Nielsen
episode) when he turns in his chair, holds up something and says "Don't
move, Korea, this is a stick-up!" My second favorite drunk is actually
Radar. He wasn't drunk too often, but it was funny when he was. The scene in
"The Gun" when he's in post-op defending his actions and the gunshot is
heard comes to mind ("My bear went off!"). His scene in the Officers' Club
in that one was funny too ("35 years...my earthworms will be dead and
buried."). They gave him some great lines and I think Gary Burghoff did a
great job delivering them.

Abyssinia,
David Long

Best Care Anywhere
http://www.bestcareanywhere.net
(to return soon)

"AOHELL actually" <esolo...@aol.comnospam> wrote in message

Tony Perodeau

Feb 5, 2002, 12:47:12 AM2/5/02
> The least satisfying drunken performances came from BJ,
> I think; I remember the scene where he staggers back into
> the Swamp, after he and Klinger go on their anti-Radar
> rampage. Neither when he's acting silly, nor later in
> the scene when he suddenly gets all angry and weepy,
> is Mike Farrell convincing.

My guess is that Farrell's attempts to slur like a drunk sounded so
horrible that directors preferred to let him talk in a normal tone.

-Tony

MOFTAP

Feb 6, 2002, 11:12:22 PM2/6/02
Kahvis wrote:
>I thought his scene with Hawkeye in Potter's
>office <snip> was one of the show's best moments.

You, me, and "The Other Brad" are probably the only ones here that think so ;-)

Becca

Paul Gadzikowski

Feb 7, 2002, 4:58:42 PM2/7/02
MOFTAP wrote:

Not necessarily so. *I* think "Period of Adjustment" is the epitomy of what we
might call "dramatic M*A*S*H", touching as it does both on the feelings of the
characters as some of them come and go and the feelings of those who never get to
go. The character turnover and the hell on earth that is war were the two things I
thought capturing made M*A*S*H special, and this episode sums them both up. Though
our Farrell-bashers are leading me to examine his performance more than I did
before, the reservations about it I'm picking up from them don't change my feelings
about this *story*.

--
Paul Gadzikowski - scar...@iglou.com since 1995
http://members.iglou.com/scarfman

"Writing about music is like dancing about architecture."

MOFTAP

Feb 8, 2002, 7:28:29 PM2/8/02

Then Paul wrote:

>Not necessarily so. *I* think "Period of Adjustment" is the epitomy of what
>we
>might call "dramatic M*A*S*H"

I stand corrected :-)

Becca

hooper...@gmail.com

Feb 4, 2016, 8:52:30 PM2/4/16
Well said. My personal favorite is Winchester's sloppy-drunk tirade in "young and restless" episode. (Bobby Shafto speech) ..priceless

Andy K.

Feb 16, 2016, 2:00:51 PM2/16/16
On Thu, 4 Feb 2016 17:52:29 -0800 (PST)
hooper...@gmail.com wrote:

> Well said. My personal favorite is Winchester's sloppy-drunk tirade in "young and restless" episode. (Bobby Shafto speech) ..priceless

The "one day he'll be older than me" speech? Yeah, that was a good one. :)

My favourite is Margaret's "Oh, I'm not so think as you drunk I am!" in one of the earlier seasons.

--
AndyK

bryon...@gmail.com

Apr 5, 2018, 8:14:30 PM4/5/18
Hawkeye Get Your Gun

He goes to the South Korean hospital for surgical aid and when he and Potter are returning they find a canteen full of booze packed by Klinger (or Zoltan the Gypsy) and they get hammered while driving, end up in a foxhole under fire, and Potter drunkenly attempts to convince very drunk Hawkeye to use his sidearm, to which Hawkeye eventually replies "I will heal their wounds, treat their wounds, BIND their wounds, but I will not INFLICT their wounds." Powerful speech in a moment of clarity and true-to-Hawkeye defiance amisdt a drunken moment of intensity.

timh...@gmail.com

Mar 15, 2020, 10:25:24 AM3/15/20
I thought Jamie Farr's drunk scenes in Period of Adjustment were very amateurish. And BJ's scene a little later was not convincing at all. I think Margaret is a cool drunk. "Who was that?"

Iggy Ren

Mar 15, 2020, 8:27:38 PM3/15/20

<timh...@gmail.com> wrote in message
>I thought Jamie Farr's drunk scenes in Period of Adjustment were very
>amateurish. And BJ's scene a little later was not convincing at all. I
>think Margaret is a cool drunk. "Who was that?"

There have been multiple times when all four surgeons were drunk. I really
with they would've done a show where there was a deluge when they were all
drunk. They would've had to send all the patients to another Mash or get
other doctors in.

Of course the reason they never did this story is because it would have made
villains of the main characters: bad for television.

paul.st...@gmail.com

May 20, 2020, 4:48:08 AM5/20/20
Most definitely Margaret, she miss switt must have practiced so very much,it makes me cry with laughter every time I watch those episodes, been watching since about 1977,and love too watch every day if I can,long live laughter.

WVR Spence

Sep 5, 2021, 9:13:20 PM9/5/21
"Fallen Idol" where he came into the ER still drunk from the night before

Andy K.

Sep 6, 2021, 3:07:30 AM9/6/21
In the B.J.'s first episode (can't remember the name), when Hawkeye and
Radar drive him from Seoul to the MASH, and they stop in Rosie's bar
to get hammered.

In 'A Night at Rosies', where Hawkeye, B.J. and Scully sit at a table,
and drunkenly sing and discuss forming Rosieland, a sovereign country,
not involved in the war.

In the episode where they try to pal with Frank Burns to get him over
his break-up with Hot Lips, they all get drunk together, and after he
passes out in his cot, Hawkeye and B.J. stick a toe tag on his toe,
laughing drunkenly about it. Frank later ends up accidentally falling
into a parked ambulance car, which takes him to a frontline medical
station and they have to go get him back.

I can think of at least two more cases, and I'm sure I'm forgetting
some more.

--
AndyK