"Crying" scenes

MOFTAP

Dec 24, 2002, 1:59:15 AM12/24/02
The other day I started thinking about all the pivotal scenes in M*A*S*H that
involved a character crying. Here are some of the scenes that came to mind for
me, and I thought maybe someone else would like to add to the list. I hope I
got all the scenes and episode titles right ...

Sometimes You Hear the Bullet: Hawkeye's emotional scene with Colonel Blake
after the death of his friend is perhaps the most consequential crying scene of
the whole series.

Check-Up: Hawkeye and Trapper get misty-eyed as they bid farewell to each
other.

Abysinnia, Henry - Everyone in the O.R. cries upon word of Colonel Blake's
death.

Dear Mildred - Potter gets teary when Radar presents him with a horse for his
anniversary.

Quo Vadis, Captain Chandler - A solitary tear rolls down Captain Chandler's
cheek with the poignant acknowledgement that God sometimes answers prayers in
the negative.

The Nurses - Margaret's famous "lousy cup of coffee" speech.

Fallen Idol - Radar starts crying in the midst of Hawkeye's rant, angering
Hawkeye and causing him to rant some more.

Dear Sis - Father Mulcahy appears to be crying when he reflects on his actions
towards an unruly soldier; Margaret cries while denying that she is upset about
spending Christmas in Korea.

Are You Now, Margaret - Margaret cries at the thought of testifying before a
Congressional committee investigating communism in the U.S.

Goodbye, Radar - Colonel Potter gets choked up saying goodbye to Radar.

Period of Adjustment - A drunk B.J. sobs at the thought of being away from his
family for so long.

Oh, How We Danced - B.J. weeps while watching a home movie from his wife on his
anniversary.

Bless You, Hawkeye - An over-the-top crying scene as Hawkeye recalls a
near-drowning incident as a child.

Foreign Affairs - Charles cries at the realization that his relationship with a
French nurse is over.

Goodbye, Farewell and Amen - Everybody cries.

I could think of one more scene but couldn't place the episode, and that's
Margaret crying when the stray dog she'd been feeding got hit by a jeep.

I'm looking forward to reading your additions and comments ...

Becca

MOFTAP

Dec 24, 2002, 2:33:43 AM12/24/02
Here are two more that I remembered:

Heal Thyself - Captain Newsome's emotional breakdown brings tears to all.

Old Soldiers - There's not a dry in the house during Colonel Potter's touching
toast to his lost comrades.

Becca

Sean Carroll

Dec 24, 2002, 7:44:38 AM12/24/02
On 24 Dec 2002 06:59:15 GMT, mof...@aol.com (MOFTAP) wrote:

>I could think of one more scene but couldn't place the episode, and that's
>Margaret crying when the stray dog she'd been feeding got hit by a jeep.

That was 'Images', if I am to trust the Best Care Anywhere webpage.
Better known as 'the episode where Radar wants to get a tattoo', I
believe.

--Sean
http://www.livejournal.com/users/spclsd223/

Brad

Dec 24, 2002, 2:49:22 AM12/24/02

"MOFTAP" <mof...@aol.com> wrote in message

"Images" was the dog eppy.

Radar cries in "Hepatitis", when Hawkeye is giving everyone a blood test.
Hawkeye gives him a fatherly talk about women.

--
Brad

Brad

Dec 24, 2002, 2:50:49 AM12/24/02

"Brad" <mouse...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> "MOFTAP" <mof...@aol.com> wrote in message

<snip>

> > I could think of one more scene but couldn't place the episode, and
that's
> > Margaret crying when the stray dog she'd been feeding got hit by a jeep.
>
> "Images" was the dog eppy.
>
> Radar cries in "Hepatitis", when Hawkeye is giving everyone a blood test.
> Hawkeye gives him a fatherly talk about women.

Sorry for not snipping my first post.

--
Brad

Brad

Dec 24, 2002, 2:59:34 AM12/24/02

"MOFTAP" <mof...@aol.com> wrote in message
> The other day I started thinking about all the pivotal scenes in M*A*S*H
that
> involved a character crying. Here are some of the scenes that came to
mind for
> me, and I thought maybe someone else would like to add to the list. I
hope I
> got all the scenes and episode titles right ...

<snip>

> I could think of one more scene but couldn't place the episode, and that's
> Margaret crying when the stray dog she'd been feeding got hit by a jeep.
>
> I'm looking forward to reading your additions and comments ...

How about "Pressure Points"? Col. Potter when he thinks he can't perform
surgery anymore and yells at the young docter.

"Father's Day", I'm pretty sure Houlihan cries in this one after she thinks
her father is leaving the 4077th on her acount.

--
Brad

Bob Gassel

Dec 24, 2002, 8:49:49 AM12/24/02
I cried after seeing the ep where a goat ate the payroll..does that count?

BG

LTterp

Dec 24, 2002, 9:48:29 AM12/24/02
Couple of crying scenes when they are watching home movies -- I'm sorry I
forgot the episode names tho :(

One where Colonel Blake's wife is waving poignantly and the children are
holding up signs that say "Miss You", and Hawkeye says "Henry if you don't give
the command to cry, I will".

Other episode where Radar's mom sends the movie from Iowa (the one where Radar
"looks a lot like your dog Ranger" LOL), and Radar cries when his "mom" (him)
waves to him and says "I love you Walter"

Linda T.

Ken Carriere

Dec 24, 2002, 10:31:30 AM12/24/02

"MOFTAP" <mof...@aol.com> wrote in message
> The other day I started thinking about all the pivotal scenes in M*A*S*H
that
> involved a character crying. Here are some of the scenes that came to
mind for
> me, and I thought maybe someone else would like to add to the list. I
hope I
> got all the scenes and episode titles right ...

> Bless You, Hawkeye - An over-the-top crying scene as Hawkeye recalls a

> near-drowning incident as a child.

Ack! When I first saw this as a seven-year-old I couldn't stand it. It made
me think that, despite what everyone was saying, it wasn't okay for boys to
cry. If a madman had broken into my house at that moment and severed both my
feet with wire-cutters, I guarantee I would have successfully fought to
withhold my tears.

Since then, whenever there has been a crying scene in MASH, I am reminded of
that episode and all positive effect is lost.

(But I still love the program. Greatest TV show ever, bar none.)

He helped me into the water.
Into the water?
Yeah, he helped me out of the water.
You said 'into' ....

Katarina Johnsson

Dec 24, 2002, 3:50:12 PM12/24/02

"MOFTAP" <mof...@aol.com> skrev i meddelandet

> The other day I started thinking about all the pivotal scenes in M*A*S*H
that
> involved a character crying. Here are some of the scenes that came to
mind for
> me, and I thought maybe someone else would like to add to the list. I
hope I
> got all the scenes and episode titles right ...

<snip>

> I'm looking forward to reading your additions and comments ...
>
> Becca

Can't remember the namne ot the episode but it's the one where Henry Blake
get's a letter from his wife who is having an affair. The episode also
involves the circumsticion (sp?) of a boy. Anyway, there is some talk about
Henry crying throughout the episode and I think Henry cries when he finally
calles his wife.

Katarina

Brad

Dec 24, 2002, 4:42:30 PM12/24/02

"Katarina Johnsson" <katarina...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> Can't remember the namne ot the episode but it's the one where Henry Blake
> get's a letter from his wife who is having an affair. The episode also
> involves the circumsticion (sp?) of a boy. Anyway, there is some talk
about
> Henry crying throughout the episode and I think Henry cries when he
finally
> calles his wife.

"Life With Father". Is somebody writing all these down? This is great.

--
Brad

vb

Dec 24, 2002, 6:42:09 PM12/24/02

"MOFTAP" <mof...@aol.com> wrote in message
> The other day I started thinking about all the pivotal scenes in M*A*S*H
that
> involved a character crying. Here are some of the scenes that came to
mind for
> Becca

B J's anniversary is another..

V.B.

Bob Gassel

Dec 24, 2002, 10:39:53 PM12/24/02
Didn't Frank cry while having a fit in Margaret's tent in "Change of Command"?

BG

Brad Filippone

Dec 24, 2002, 11:13:24 PM12/24/02
I can't believe no one's mentioned the young guy in "The Billfold
Syndrome." The one that Sydney had hypnotised.

The Other Brad

Brad

Dec 25, 2002, 1:20:10 AM12/25/02

"Brad Filippone" <al...@chebucto.ns.ca> wrote in message

> I can't believe no one's mentioned the young guy in "The Billfold
> Syndrome." The one that Sydney had hypnotised.
>
> The Other Brad

I think we're just doing the Regular Cast. Otherwise the list will go on and
on.

--
Brad from Oz.

Brad Filippone

Dec 25, 2002, 8:32:40 AM12/25/02
Brad (mouse...@hotmail.com) wrote:

: "Brad Filippone" <al...@chebucto.ns.ca> wrote in message

Ahh okay. Makes sense.

The Other Brad

Sean Carroll

Dec 25, 2002, 2:54:09 PM12/25/02
On Wed, 25 Dec 2002 08:42:30 +1100, "Brad" <mouse...@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>"Life With Father". Is somebody writing all these down? This is great.

It's probably already been mentioned, but yesterday FX did a marathon
of Christmas episodes (Dear Dad, Dear Sis, Death Takes a Holiday) and
in one of them (don't remember which), after they all find out they're
not going to be able to get a turkey for the holiday, they're all
venting about not being home and everything, and Margaret says she's
fine, despite tears glistening on her cheeks. Someone says, 'Wow,
Margaret, you're a rock, huh?' and she just says, 'Someone has to be.'

It had to be one of the latter two eps, because I seem to remember BJ
and Colonel Potter were there.

--Sean
http://www.livejournal.com/users/spclsd223/

Dec 25, 2002, 11:17:18 AM12/25/02
Especially in the later years where they seemed to be trying to make the
viewers cry. "Let's hit them over the head with it." The emotion in the
early days had more effect because they were not ramming it down you're
throat every chance they got. It means less when it is done all the time.

.H.

Cory <see...@mindspring.com> wrote in message
> On Wed, 25 Dec 2002 04:13:24 +0000 (UTC), Brad Filippone said the
> following:

> > I can't believe no one's mentioned the young guy in "The Billfold
> > Syndrome." The one that Sydney had hypnotised.
> >
> > The Other Brad
>

> That was just on sometime in the last week, too, I think. I *still* get
> a lump in my throat with that eppy. The other one, when it comes to
> guest stars having a meltdown, is the eppy with Edward Herrmann's <sp?>
> character, Steve Newsome, who fills in for Charles, IIRC. I just
> happened to think of this one just now, probably because it was just on
> within the last three days or so,
>
> Newsome becomes psychologically paralyzed in the middle of an O.R.
> session (I don't remember the trigger, though, oddly enough), walks out,
> and goes back to the swamp. The docs find him sitting there on one of
> the bunks staring at his hands, and Newsome talks about how he "can't get
> the blood off" them. On a side note... I can't believe it has taken this
> long to click, but Herrmann is now a (semi-)regular on Gimore Girls as
> Rory's grandfather.
>
> I agree with Brad from Oz, though, that I think we're just compiling
> regular cast members here. Otherwise, as OzBrad points out, the thread
> would grow to epic proportions.
>
> --- Cory

PAUL GADZIKOWSKI

Dec 25, 2002, 7:06:47 PM12/25/02
Katarina Johnsson <katarina...@hotmail.com> wrote:
: Can't remember the namne ot the episode but it's the one where Henry Blake

: get's a letter from his wife who is having an affair. The episode also
: involves the circumsticion (sp?) of a boy. Anyway, there is some talk about
: Henry crying throughout the episode and I think Henry cries when he finally
: calles his wife.

Yes. "Oh, Lorraine - an orthodontist!"

--
Paul Gadzikowski, scar...@iglou.com since 1995
http://members.iglou.com/scarfman

"You'll need an adaptor."

PAUL GADZIKOWSKI

Dec 25, 2002, 7:09:04 PM12/25/02
Cory <see...@mindspring.com> wrote:
: Newsome becomes psychologically paralyzed in the middle of an O.R.
: session (I don't remember the trigger, though, oddly enough), walks out,

There wasn't a specific trigger. He'd been building up to an overload all
along and finally he just hit it.

PAUL GADZIKOWSKI

Dec 25, 2002, 7:14:28 PM12/25/02
No one's mentioned any of my favorites:

"The first time my daugther called somebody 'daddy' ... and it wasn't me!"

"And the doctor will warm himself over the open wound. Can anyone look on
that and not feel changed?"

"He was the best damn O.D. we ever had."

Howard Fein

Dec 26, 2002, 1:02:15 PM12/26/02
"H" <d...@attcanada.ca> wrote in message news:<8flO9.21926$H67....@tor-nn1.netcom.ca>...

> Especially in the later years where they seemed to be trying to make the
> viewers cry. "Let's hit them over the head with it." The emotion in the
> early days had more effect because they were not ramming it down you're
> throat every chance they got. It means less when it is done all the time.

Very true! I find Hawkeye's quiet, understated crying in "Sometimes
You Hear The Bullet" MUCH more powerful than his jarring bawlfest
eight years later in "Bless You, Hawkeye". True, he'd apparently been
outside the O.R. for some time when Henry came out to console him, but
the low-keyed, but unmistakable pain in his voice over being unable to
save his friend is a real gut jabber- especially for an episode that
up to that point had been typically raucous for the first season.

I keep thinking that if "Sometimes You Hear-" had been made in the
post-Radar era, Alda would be wailing away "WAAAAHHH- He DIED right IN
FRONT OF ME!! I couldn't SAVE him!! Those BASTARDS! This damned WAR!!
WAAAAHHH-". Of course, Potter would've immediately sent for Sidney.

What's interesting was that two separate Season 5 (the last Frank
season) episodes had Hawk cope the possible loss of his eyesight ("Out
of Sight, Out of Mind") and sleepwalking ("Hawk's Nightmare"). The
former episode abounded with writer-director-actor Alda's trademark
introspective speeches and 'superhuman Hawkeye' moments (despite, or
because of his temporary blindness, he can detect a surgical error via
his sense of smell), but generally avoided being TOO preachy, a common
fault of Season 4 through 7 Alda-scripted eps. The phony baseball
radio broadcast scene ("Strike three!" CRACK! "No, wait- he got a
piece of it!") is very funny despite its obvious symbolism, i.e.
without your eyesight, you have to rely on what you hear, which can
get you into trouble.

"Nightmare", on the other hand, had very little humor- unusual for a
Prelutsky script. The provocation for Hawk's sleepwalking is somewhat
similar to what caused his sneezing in "Bless You-": suppressed
resentment for his old stateside buddies. But in both episodes, Alda
mercifully spared us from a loud, embarrassing crying scene.

It happens to have been the first post-Radar episode, "Period of
Adjustment", that featured a major character dramatically breaking
down- in this case, BJ. Of course, being very drunk combined with the
emotional trauma he'd just experienced may have partially justified
his tears. It was in that season that Mike Farrell received his only
Emmy nomination. I fear this was the episode submitted to the academy
that led to his nomination. Problem was, there was absolutely nothing
comedic about Farrell's performance in that episode- it was basically
a dramatic performance. Ironically, Harry Morgan won the supporting
actor Emmy that season- probably for the maudlin "Old Soliders".

Nobody seems to have mentioned Season 9's "The Life You Save" in which
Charles becomes obsessed with death and goes to the front line where
he observes a soldier passing away. There are tears from Stiers
(ouch!!), but he underplays the scene nicely and with relative
dignity- nothing less than one would expect from a Winchester. Stiers
received HIS only Emmy nod that season as well- probably for that
episode -although it would have been more fitting if it were for "No
Laughing Matter", one of the few truly funny post-Radar eps. It
mattered little: he lost to Danny DeVito.

I always go out of my way to see "Sometimes You Hear-", and avoid
"Bless You Hawkeye" and the 'baby strangling' storyline of "Goodbye
Farewell and Amen".

George Hiebert

Dec 26, 2002, 1:39:27 PM12/26/02

"Howard Fein" <hf...@nycboe.net> wrote

> I keep thinking that if "Sometimes You Hear-" had been made in the
> post-Radar era, Alda would be wailing away "WAAAAHHH- He DIED right IN
> FRONT OF ME!! I couldn't SAVE him!! Those BASTARDS! This damned WAR!!
> WAAAAHHH-". Of course, Potter would've immediately sent for Sidney.

I think you're absolutely right. I shudder to think what they would have
done with "Bullet" in the later years, but I think your synopsis is pretty
accurate.

Dwayer

Dec 26, 2002, 2:27:45 PM12/26/02
In message <239c4fa3.02122...@posting.google.com>,
hf...@nycboe.net (Howard Fein) wrote:

>Nobody seems to have mentioned Season 9's "The Life You Save" in which
>Charles becomes obsessed with death and goes to the front line where
>he observes a soldier passing away. There are tears from Stiers
>(ouch!!), but he underplays the scene nicely and with relative
>dignity- nothing less than one would expect from a Winchester. Stiers
>received HIS only Emmy nod that season as well- probably for that
>episode -although it would have been more fitting if it were for "No
>Laughing Matter", one of the few truly funny post-Radar eps. It
>mattered little: he lost to Danny DeVito.

Thank you for reminding me of this episode. This is again a case of
DOS saving a problematic episode. Had the focus been on BJ or
Hawkeye, I suspect that this story would have surpassed "Old Soldiers"
and "Death Takes a Holiday" on the cloyingly maudlin scale. However
Stiers' subtlety really makes this episode work for me.

Cheers.
Will
--
****
"If people don't know what you're doing,

halpiemeister

Dec 26, 2002, 2:50:08 PM12/26/02
My favorite is in Dr. Pierce and Mr. Hyde when Hawkeye is discussing
great songs that came out of World War II and starts singing, teary
eyed "I'll Be Home for Christmas."

ShandaRose

Dec 26, 2002, 3:07:09 PM12/26/02

>My favorite is in Dr. Pierce and Mr. Hyde when Hawkeye is discussing
>great songs that came out of World War II and starts singing, teary
>eyed "I'll Be Home for Christmas."

Oy that tears my heart out every time I see that episode!!! And, its ten times
better on the dvd without 1/2 of the episode cut out! Shanda
(whose kitten is eating my foot right now)

MOFTAP

Dec 26, 2002, 4:29:00 PM12/26/02
>My favorite is in Dr. Pierce and Mr. Hyde when Hawkeye is discussing
>great songs that came out of World War II and starts singing, teary
>eyed "I'll Be Home for Christmas."

Wow, I can't believe I forgot that one ... although I am always puzzled by
Hawkeye's claim that he remembers lying on the rug and listening to that song,
making it sound like he was a kid at the time, which is not likely.

Becca

halpiemeister

Dec 27, 2002, 10:28:57 AM12/27/02
mof...@aol.com (MOFTAP) wrote in message news:<20021226162900...@mb-bd.aol.com>...

That's an excellent point. I've always wondered about that too.
Wouldn't Hawkeye have been in his 20s when that song came out? He was
probably in medical school at the time. It kind of takes away from
the pathos of the scene to think of it that way, though.
Interestingly enough, Alan Alda would have been about 7 when the song
came out. Perhaps he was thinking of his own childhood when he
performed the scene.

Barrie

Dec 27, 2002, 12:11:16 PM12/27/02
>I am always puzzled by
>> Hawkeye's claim that he remembers lying on the rug and listening to that
>song,
>> making it sound like he was a kid at the time, which is not likely.

>Wouldn't Hawkeye have been in his 20s when that song came out? He was

>probably in medical school at the time.

The same thing goes for Radar. When Hawkeye asks him if he knows that song,
Radar says something about it being "before my time". Well, if he was 18 in
1950, and the song was written in 1943 (which it was; I checked), he would have
been 10 or 11 years old when it came out, old enough that he probably would
have remembered it 7 years later. Especially because back then, all those songs
were sung in schools and stuff, to make kids support the war. So he definitely
should have known it, I think.

Abyssinia,
Barrie

"All I know is what they taught me at command school. There are certain rules
about a war and rule number one is young men die. And rule number two is
doctors can't change rule number one." -- Lt. Col. Henry Blake

Brad

Dec 27, 2002, 4:25:32 PM12/27/02

"halpiemeister" <alh...@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message

> mof...@aol.com (MOFTAP) wrote in message
> > >My favorite is in Dr. Pierce and Mr. Hyde when Hawkeye is discussing
> > >great songs that came out of World War II and starts singing, teary
> > >eyed "I'll Be Home for Christmas."
> >
> > Wow, I can't believe I forgot that one ... although I am always puzzled
by
> > Hawkeye's claim that he remembers lying on the rug and listening to that
song,
> > making it sound like he was a kid at the time, which is not likely.
> >
> > Becca
>
> That's an excellent point. I've always wondered about that too.
> Wouldn't Hawkeye have been in his 20s when that song came out? He was
> probably in medical school at the time.

It's not so unlikely. In M*A*S*H, Hawkeye's supposed to be about 26 or 27
years old (straight out of med school, am I wrong?). So if the song was
recorded in 1943, Hawkeye could have been -- assuming it's 1951 -- 18 or 19
years old. Not too old to be listening to the radio, hearing that song, and
sniffing the rug.

--
Brad

MOFTAP

Dec 27, 2002, 7:15:20 PM12/27/02
> In M*A*S*H, Hawkeye's supposed to be about 26 or 27
>years old (straight out of med school, am I wrong?).

I don't know how old he was "supposed" to be, but I never thought he looked
that young. Alda, by the way, was 36 at the start of the series. If Hawkeye
was 36 in 1951, he would've been 28 in 1943.

Just speculating ...

Becca

MOFTAP

Dec 27, 2002, 9:20:38 PM12/27/02
>It's not so unlikely. In M*A*S*H, Hawkeye's supposed to be about 26 or 27
>years old (straight out of med school, am I wrong?). So if the song was
>recorded in 1943, Hawkeye could have been -- assuming it's 1951 -- 18 or 19
>years old.

Just one more thing ... in listening to the reunion show tonite, they showed a
clip from "Sometimes You Hear the Bullet" in which Hawkeye mentions being "milk
monitor" in 5th grade, and that was during the Depression. So let's say he was
11 in 1930, then he would've been 24 in 1943.

Becca

Brad Filippone

Dec 28, 2002, 12:14:24 AM12/28/02
MOFTAP (mof...@aol.com) wrote:
: > In M*A*S*H, Hawkeye's supposed to be about 26 or 27

: Just speculating ...

In "Sometimes You Hear the Bullet" he speaks of being in school during the
Great Depression. He was in charge of the milk! Does this help with his
age?

The Other Brad

Brad Filippone

Dec 28, 2002, 12:14:54 AM12/28/02
MOFTAP (mof...@aol.com) wrote:
: >It's not so unlikely. In M*A*S*H, Hawkeye's supposed to be about 26 or 27

Someone got to it before me! :)

The Other Brad

MOFTAP

Dec 28, 2002, 12:35:21 AM12/28/02
>Someone got to it before me! :)

TOB, just goes to show that great minds really do think alike ;-)

Becca

wen...@cix.compulink.co.uk

Dec 28, 2002, 9:25:13 AM12/28/02
In article <p13k0v83t3u6jl98p...@4ax.com>, se...@kua.net
(Sean Carroll) wrote:

> yesterday FX did a marathon
> of Christmas episodes (Dear Dad, Dear Sis, Death Takes a Holiday)

Query: does FX show anything *but* MASH?

wg

wen...@cix.compulink.co.uk

Dec 28, 2002, 5:52:38 PM12/28/02
In article <MPG.187784c01...@News.CIS.DFN.DE>,
see...@mindspring.com (Cory) wrote:

> I know there's the possibility that you were being facetious, but
> yes... BTVS and The Practice are two other shows that FX runs that I
> can think of off the top of my head. FX also re-airs "24", like 3-4
> days, I think, after it originally airs on FOX.

I don't get FX most of the year, but when I visit my friends in
Harrisburg, PA, they do -- and I have yet to click past that channel
when it *wasn't* showing MASH. It was actually more or less a genuine
question.

wg

Sean Carroll

Jan 1, 2003, 12:54:17 AM1/1/03
On Sat, 28 Dec 2002 19:33:42 -0600, Cory <see...@mindspring.com>
wrote:

> Not that there's anything wrong with it, but FX is sort of
>a 24/7 M*A*S*H channel.

Certainly nothing wrong with it. And before that they showed mostly
the X-Files all the time, which is my favourite show (M*A*S*H is in
the Top 5 somewhere, not sure where). Also nothing wrong with that.

It seems like a lot of cable networks lately are trying to build
themselves around a very limited repertoire. I know when TNN changed
from 'The Nashville Network' to 'The National Network' and began
calling themselves 'The New TNN', they seemed to show nothing but
Baywatch, Star Trek, and wrestling 24/7.

Though it may get irksome if they're always showing a show you don't
like, one great advantage to this phenomenon is that certain shows,
you can tune into almost any time of day, which is quite wonderful if
they happen to be shows that you like.

--Sean
http://www.livejournal.com/users/spclsd223/

wen...@cix.compulink.co.uk

Jan 1, 2003, 11:59:09 AM1/1/03
In article <MPG.18780cf25...@News.CIS.DFN.DE>,
see...@mindspring.com (Cory) wrote:

> Not that there's anything wrong with it, but FX is sort of
> a 24/7 M*A*S*H channel.

This is indeed my experience. I remember clicking past one time and
hearing, "And this weekend, our MASH marathon weekend," and thinking,
"How can they tell?"

But it seems to me we are really losing the concept of channels beyond
the main networks unless they really are niche things (the tennis
channel...golf channel...food channel...weather channel). The fact is a
lot of people don't really care any more (if people ever did) what
channel you watch, just what programs you see. Tivos and other PVRs are
of course accelerating the trend by creating the "Me" channel. It's
increasingly kind of like what Usenet would be if no one subscribed to
newsgroups but just used Google to search the mass of news for what they
wanted.

I suppose we're on our way to the TV equivalent of Top-40 radio.

wg

PAUL GADZIKOWSKI

Jan 1, 2003, 9:20:16 PM1/1/03
Sean Carroll <se...@kua.net> wrote:
: Though it may get irksome if they're always showing a show you don't

: like, one great advantage to this phenomenon is that certain shows,
: you can tune into almost any time of day, which is quite wonderful if
: they happen to be shows that you like.

Perhaps one day every television show that wasn't junked before the cable
explosion will have its own channel.

My heroes are all supporting characters.

PAUL GADZIKOWSKI

Jan 10, 2003, 6:58:46 AM1/10/03
to SunKing23
On Thu, 10 Jan 2003, SunKing23 wrote:

> >My heroes are all supporting characters.
>

> Like Dick O'Neill in "38 Across" and "BJ Papa San"??? (General Marion Prescott)
> Wonderful actor.

I remember him from BARNEY MILLER, which is where I saw him first. He
played a bunkeresque cop named Kelly in more than one episode.

> Catch his performance in the 1974 film THE TAKING OF PELHAM
> 1-2-3.

I saw that, on tv, in the 70s. I don't remember O'Neill in it (though,
just for a second when you said this, I misremembered that he was in the
Martin Balsam part. He could have done it too).

Actually what I meant by this is that my favorite characters from my
favorite properties are rarely the nominal heroes. I started watching
M*A*S*H for Henry Blake. Then there's Spock. The title character of DOCTOR
WHO is a supporting character, who inherited the show when the hero left
after two years and it went on twenty-four more. My favorite character in
Superman is Clark Kent.

SunKing23

Jan 9, 2003, 9:58:04 PM1/9/03
>> Not that there's anything wrong with it, but FX is sort of a 24/7 M*A*S*H
channel.

M*A*S*H is the equivalent of my "comfort food", so i don't mind it being
aired so much, even though i have most of the episodes on videotape and DVD.

>Certainly nothing wrong with it. And before that they showed mostly the
X-Files all the time, which is my favourite show (M*A*S*H is in the Top 5
somewhere, not sure where).

It's fifth for me, behind (in order from one through four) MONTY PYTHON'S
FLYING CIRCUS, THE SIMPSONS, KOLCHAK: THE NIGHT STALKER and THE TWILIGHT ZONE,
but somehow i seem to find a calming effect work its way on me more than those
other shows. THE X-FILES is either seventh or eighth, trailing DR. KATZ,
PROFESSIONAL THERAPIST and the '60s STAR TREK.

>It seems like a lot of cable networks lately are trying to build themselves
around a very limited repertoire. I know when TNN changed from 'The Nashville
Network' to 'The National Network' and began
calling themselves 'The New TNN', they seemed to show nothing but
Baywatch, Star Trek, and wrestling 24/7.

They don't show the *original* STAR TREK, though, dü they?

"Can you imagine the mentality of a person that watches wrestling?" (badly
paraphrased, i know)--Max Von Sydow in the 1986 Woody Allen film HANNAH AND HER
SISTERS

Seriously, though, it's all about "the numbers" now. Gottagottagotta be
Number One all the time. My mum and i were watching the 1975 version of
ROLLERBALL, and i was amazed at how prophetic it was about the corporate greed
that ensconces Amerikkka @ this time. Unbelieveable!

>Though it may get irksome if they're always showing a show you don't like, one

great advantage to this phenomenon is that certain shows,you can tune into

almost any time of day, which is quite wonderful if they happen to be shows
that you like.

>--Sean

I won't disagree w/that. There is something comforting in familiarity, like
being an animal having its cage door opened and it not fleeing.

"What are we gonna do now?"--Joe Strummer, The Clash, "Clampdown," from
LONDON CALLING

SunKing23

Jan 9, 2003, 10:06:36 PM1/9/03
>My heroes are all supporting characters.

Like Dick O'Neill in "38 Across" and "BJ Papa San"??? (General Marion Prescott)

Wonderful actor. Catch his performance in the 1974 film THE TAKING OF PELHAM
1-2-3. By the way, it also features Sal Viscuso (the "P.A. announcer") as a
police officer making the ransom drop to the hijackers in a subway tunnel).
Excellent film if one can find it.

Yours, etc.,

+<:-P <--Pope Nick, Executive Secular Consultant To the Swiss Navy

wen...@cix.compulink.co.uk

Jan 14, 2003, 5:04:37 PM1/14/03
In article <20030109220636...@mb-mk.aol.com>,
sunk...@aol.com (SunKing23) wrote:

> Like Dick O'Neill in "38 Across" and "BJ Papa San"??? (General Marion
> Prescott)
> Wonderful actor. Catch his performance in the 1974 film THE TAKING OF
> PELHAM
> 1-2-3. By the way, it also features Sal Viscuso (the "P.A. announcer")
> as a
> police officer making the ransom drop to the hijackers in a subway
> tunnel). Excellent film if one can find it.

It's out on DVD. It was, I believe, the role that really began to
establish Walter Matthau's career as a lovable curmudgeonly hero. (Up
until then, he'd played villains, because no one knew what to do with
him. Odd to think of now, because he had such a wonderful face.)

wg

PAUL GADZIKOWSKI

Jan 15, 2003, 10:29:38 AM1/15/03

:
: It's out on DVD. It was, I believe, the role that really began to
: establish Walter Matthau's career as a lovable curmudgeonly hero. (Up
: until then, he'd played villains, because no one knew what to do with
: him. Odd to think of now, because he had such a wonderful face.)

Surely Matthau had done at least one screen adaptation of a Neil Simon
play before 1974? 'The Odd Couple' at least, and probably 'Plaza Suite' I
would think.

"Colonel O'Neill, we can't call it the Enterprise."

halpiemeister

Jan 15, 2003, 3:04:29 PM1/15/03
PAUL GADZIKOWSKI <scar...@shell1.iglou.com> wrote in message news:<3e257...@news.iglou.com>...

> wen...@cix.compulink.co.uk wrote:
> : sunk...@aol.com (SunKing23) wrote:
> :> Like Dick O'Neill in "38 Across" and "BJ Papa San"??? (General Marion
> :> Prescott)
> :> Wonderful actor. Catch his performance in the 1974 film THE TAKING OF
> :> PELHAM
> :> 1-2-3.
> :
> : It's out on DVD. It was, I believe, the role that really began to
> : establish Walter Matthau's career as a lovable curmudgeonly hero. (Up
> : until then, he'd played villains, because no one knew what to do with
> : him. Odd to think of now, because he had such a wonderful face.)
>
> Surely Matthau had done at least one screen adaptation of a Neil Simon
> play before 1974? 'The Odd Couple' at least, and probably 'Plaza Suite' I
> would think.

That's correct. Actually, he became known as a gifted comedic actor
back in 1966 when he won a best supporting Oscar for his first
appearance with Jack Lemmon in The Fortune Cookie. Between that time
and Pelham 1-2-3, he appeared in several comedies, including the Odd
Couple and Plaza Suite (as well as the under-appreciated A New Leaf
with Elaine May). I agree, though, that Pelham 1-2-3 was probably the
first film to showcase Matthau's talent as a leading man in a drama.