Vic Tayback in an episode?

Matt J. McCullar

Nov 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/12/98
From the FAQs I've read, Vic Tayback is supposedly in the MASH episode
where Hawkeye & Trapper try to get an incubator for the unit. I've seen
this episode only a couple of kajillion times, but I don't recall him
ever appearing in ANY episode of MASH.

This is not to say I don't believe it, because he may have simply been
edited completely out of this particular episode. The MASH episodes we
see today are at least 10% shorter than when they were originally
broadcast.

Vic Tayback is perhaps most famous as Mel Sharples, owner of Mel's Diner
on the TV series _Alice_. He died about 10 years ago.

Is he in this or any MASH episode, and just been spliced out?

Matt J. McCullar
Arlington, TX

George Hiebert

Nov 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/13/98
Vic Tayback- I've seen him on the Monkees, I've seen him on Star Trek
but I don't recall ever seeing his mug on MASH. I'm quite sure he's not
in the Incubator.
Remember his famous line: "Stew it Flo!" Alice, what a waste of airtime
that was.

Matt J. McCullar

Nov 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/13/98
Thanks for the replies! Unfortunately, I'm stuck with Win 3.1 and
therefore can't download or access the episode guide from CoolRider.
Could I trouble someone for a brief synopsis of where Mr. Tayback
appears? Thanks!

Matt J. McCullar
Arlington, TX

"A big red bird with fuzzy pink feet."

Matt J. McCullar

Nov 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/13/98
George Hiebert wrote:

> I've seen the Incubator a zillion times and there's no Vic Tayback.
> I don't know why he's in the episode guide, maybe he was in a scene that
> was cut or something. I'ld know his mug anywhere and it ain't in that
> episode. I seem to recall this being discussed before. Maybe someone can
> shed some light.

Thanks, George! Either Tayback was listed by mistake, or (more likely)
he was edited out in subsequent syndication packages.

Somebody out there somewhere has this on tape. Could we trouble you to
check the credits at the end of the episode? The proof should be
there. I know for a fact that Johnny Haymer (Sgt. Zale) has been
snipped completely out of one episode in reruns, yet his name still
appears in the end credits.

Matt J. McCullar
Arlington, TX

"Give me an incubator, or give me death!"

Matt J. McCullar

Nov 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/13/98
George Hiebert wrote:

> Matt J. McCullar wrote:
> >
> > Somebody out there somewhere has this on tape. Could we trouble you to
> > check the credits at the end of the episode? The proof should be
> > there. I know for a fact that Johnny Haymer (Sgt. Zale) has been
> > snipped completely out of one episode in reruns, yet his name still
> > appears in the end credits.
>
> I've got the columbia house tape with the incubator. Just checked the
> closing credits....NO Vic Tayback.

Thanks, George! Vic Tayback had a characteristic loud, boisterous voice
which made him instantly recognizable, even in a crowd scene. He played
a baddie on the original _Star Trek_. But I don't recall ever seeing
him in MASH.

As I remember "The Incubator," the first guy they talked to was a
quartermaster captain, played by Eldon Quick. He said that he could let
them have a jukebox or a pizza oven, but not an incubator. Then they
went to a major, known later as "The Scrounge" or something like that.
I forget that actor's name. Then they went to a colonel, played by
Logan Ramsey (he also played a baddie on _Star Trek_ once). He's the
guy who could sell you a B-52 with a week's notice (crew is extra).
Then the general at the press conference.

Matt J. McCullar
Arlington, TX

"May I present Private 'Biff' Wellington."

Tim Tompkins

Nov 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/14/98

George Hiebert wrote in message <364CF7...@direct.ca>...

Look at the episode guide.

36. The Incubator (K-412)
December 1, 1973
Written by Larry Gelbart and Laurence Marks
Directed by Jackie Cooper
Guest Stars: Robert F. Simon, Logan Ramsey, Vic Tayback

Hawkeye and Trapper battle the Army in their efforts to get a badly
needed
incubator for the 4077th.

George Hiebert

Nov 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/14/98
Tim Tompkins wrote:

> Look at the episode guide.
>
> 36. The Incubator (K-412)
> December 1, 1973
> Written by Larry Gelbart and Laurence Marks
> Directed by Jackie Cooper
> Guest Stars: Robert F. Simon, Logan Ramsey, Vic Tayback
>
> Hawkeye and Trapper battle the Army in their efforts to get a badly
> needed
> incubator for the 4077th.

I've seen the Incubator a zillion times and there's no Vic Tayback.

Cory

Nov 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/14/98
In article <364edee9....@165.87.194.238>,
rjm...@ibm.REMOVE.TO.REPLY.net says...
> It's been so long since I've seen that episode I don't remember it
> all. Could Vic have been with the reporters when Hawkeye and Trapper
> are giving that general hell about the incubator.
> --
> Ray...
> ewz...@voz.arg Sorry - ROT13
> Radar's Bear has NO name.

Vic Tayback, if memory serves me right, was one of the guys in supply or
something like that. I distinctly remember him being in that eppy, but I
forget exactly where. He had something to do with helping track down and
procure the incubator... again, if I recall correctly.

--- Cory

--
Cats purr... e-mail doesn't. *Remove 'purr' to reply*

George Hiebert

Nov 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/14/98

PAUL GADZIKOWSKI

Nov 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/14/98
Matt J. McCullar (mccu...@flash.net) wrote:
: As I remember "The Incubator," the first guy they talked to was a

: quartermaster captain, played by Eldon Quick. He said that he could let
: them have a jukebox or a pizza oven, but not an incubator. Then they
: went to a major, known later as "The Scrounge" or something like that.
: I forget that actor's name.

Major Morris. I don't know the actor's name, but he was a burly
middle-aged fellow and it's not inconceivable that whoever wrote the
episode guide quoted in this thread mistook him for Vic Tayback.

For years I had an audio recording of the 1974 primetime rerun of this
episode (I may still have it somewhere, in fact), and I'm certain that Vic
Tayback had no speaking part in it.

--
http://members.iglou.com/scarfman - DOCTOR WHO, STAR
Paul Gadzikowski TREK (including T*R*E*K) and BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER

Beware angering those who will not kill.

WAYNE MCMILLAN

Nov 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/17/98
Gregory Harrison, from Trapper John M.D., was in an episode where a plan was
made for him to have a conjugal visit with his newlywed wife. I believe the
wife was Linda Kelsey, from "Lou Grant."

Matt J. McCullar

Nov 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/19/98
to Elsig
Elsig wrote:

> Here is my recollection of the matter.
>
> Originally, <I> was going to play the supply sergeant. I decided against it
> for a variety of reasons.
>
> We then hired Vic Tayback for the role. I can't remember why, but we weren't
> happy about the way the scene turned out - so we hired another actor and reshot
> it with him playing the part that Tayback had and that I hadn't.
>
> Someone obviously screwed up when putting the final credits together.
>
> Larry G.

From the guy who started this whole business:

Vic Tayback's name appears in a FAQ file about guest stars, but several
other fans have said that his name does NOT appear in the end credits of
"The Incubator," or any other episode. I asked about this because I
don't have cable and the versions of M*A*S*H I see today have been
edited beyond belief. Some episodes I have on tape from the early 80's
when another station showed them off of 16mm film and didn't really edit
them per se, just let the film continue to roll while they ran
commercials between acts! I know of at least one episode that
completely edited out Johnny Haymer, although his name remained in the
end credits. I've seen every episode dozens of times over the years,
but not once did I remember seeing Vic Tayback in any of them.

Gee, you've got me wondering now. I wonder what he was like in his
role...

I still chuckle when I see "Captain Tuttle....... as Himself". :)

Why did M*A*S*H stop using Ugly John? I really liked John Orchard and
one of the funniest sight gags in the series was when he put himself to
sleep with the ether on Trapper's boxing glove.

Elsig

Nov 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/20/98

George Hiebert

Nov 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/20/98
Matt J. McCullar wrote:

> Gee, you've got me wondering now. I wonder what he was like in his
> role...

I agree, would love to see what the scene was like with Tayback. Guess
we'll never know. I recall this being discussed before.

Matt J. McCullar

Nov 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/20/98
PAUL GADZIKOWSKI wrote:

> Elsig (el...@aol.com) wrote:
> : We then hired Vic Tayback for the role. I can't remember why, but we weren't

> : happy about the way the scene turned out - so we hired another actor and reshot
> : it with him playing the part that Tayback had and that I hadn't.
>
> Envisioning the scene with Tayback in it, and contrasting it with the
> scene as aired, I have to agree that it works better as aired. Tayback's
> manner would've come off as more confrontational, whereas the guy who
> played the final version of the scene was just nuts.

I hadn't thought about it that way, but you're right! Tayback probably
would have worked as a motorpool sergeant or a D.I. in the Marines.

Dunno if anybody else remembers this, but in "The Incubator," Hawkeye
and Trapper both salute the guy in supply (he's a major).

Elsig

Nov 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/21/98
Correction:

Originally, <I> was going to play the supply sergeant.

Sorry.

Larry G.

GO PACK!

Nov 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/21/98
Anybody want to wager that a question like this posted in another
newsgroup would get an answer from one of the shows creators?
Betcha' they don't get this stuff over at alt.tv.blossom...

Thanks, Mr. G.

el...@aol.com (Elsig) wrote:

>Here is my recollection of the matter.
>
>Originally, <I> was going to play the supply sergeant. I decided against it
>for a variety of reasons.
>

>We then hired Vic Tayback for the role. I can't remember why, but we weren't
>happy about the way the scene turned out - so we hired another actor and reshot
>it with him playing the part that Tayback had and that I hadn't.

Elsig

Nov 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/21/98
"Thanks, Mr. G."

My pleasure. I keep trying to correct my original reply on this thread, making
it clear that <I> was going to play the supply sergeant. I hope it works this
time.

Best,

Larry G.

Elsig

Nov 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/21/98
It still didn't work. I, me, the undersigned, was going to play the supply
sergeant.

Larry G.

The Shadow

Nov 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/21/98

Elsig wrote in message :

>It still didn't work. I, me, the undersigned, was going to play the supply
>sergeant.
>
>Larry G.

You would have done a good job at it Sgt. Gelbart.
I hereby promote you to the rank of Lt. Commander, a well deserved jump in
rank from a man who has proven himself in combat...I've seen you on
Politically Incorrect !

The Shadow
Captain of the wise-cracks

PAUL GADZIKOWSKI

Nov 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/21/98
Elsig (el...@aol.com) wrote:
: We then hired Vic Tayback for the role. I can't remember why, but we weren't

: happy about the way the scene turned out - so we hired another actor and reshot
: it with him playing the part that Tayback had and that I hadn't.

Envisioning the scene with Tayback in it, and contrasting it with the

scene as aired, I have to agree that it works better as aired. Tayback's
manner would've come off as more confrontational, whereas the guy who
played the final version of the scene was just nuts.

--

http://members.iglou.com/scarfman - DOCTOR WHO, STAR
Paul Gadzikowski TREK (including T*R*E*K) and BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER
fanfiction - Bedivere's Round Table - Cartoons - Archy
scar...@iglou.com the Cockroach - Mostly text-only easy-to-download files

- NEW 11/14: THE EIGHT DOCTORS Chapter 3;
WHO/STtng/BUFFY crossover preview 3

That was Zen. This is Tao.

PAUL GADZIKOWSKI

Nov 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/21/98
Elsig (el...@aol.com) wrote:
: It still didn't work. I, me, the undersigned, was going to play the supply
: sergeant.

I think you just weren't giving your server enough time to get the message
to the newsgroup. I saw it three times.

Matt J. McCullar

Nov 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/21/98
George Hiebert wrote:

> Major Morris: "I was a gynecologist in a women's prison."
> Trapper: "We're not here for true confessions."

I hate to nit-pick, but he said he was a pediatrician in a women's
prison. Henry Blake lived next door to a gynecologist. "I'd hate to
ask what's on the other side," said Trapper. :)

Matt J. McCullar

George Hiebert

Nov 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/22/98
Matt J. McCullar wrote:

> PAUL GADZIKOWSKI wrote:
> >
> > Elsig (el...@aol.com) wrote:
> > : We then hired Vic Tayback for the role. I can't remember why, but we weren't
> > : happy about the way the scene turned out - so we hired another actor and reshot
> > : it with him playing the part that Tayback had and that I hadn't.
> >
> > Envisioning the scene with Tayback in it, and contrasting it with the
> > scene as aired, I have to agree that it works better as aired. Tayback's
> > manner would've come off as more confrontational, whereas the guy who
> > played the final version of the scene was just nuts.
>
> I hadn't thought about it that way, but you're right! Tayback probably
> would have worked as a motorpool sergeant or a D.I. in the Marines.
>
> Dunno if anybody else remembers this, but in "The Incubator," Hawkeye
> and Trapper both salute the guy in supply (he's a major).

Major Morris: "I was a gynecologist in a women's prison."

Elsig

Nov 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/22/98
Thanks for the promotion.

Lt. Com. G

Hawk32075

Nov 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/22/98
Ummm shouldn't that be Lt Col.? Lt Commander is a navy rank, where as Lt Col.
is Army (as well as Air Force and Marines)

Lt Col. James Macleod
Biloxi, MS M*A*S*H 4077th

The Shadow

Nov 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/22/98

Not in Starfleet command...beam me up Scotty.

Captain James T. Kirk
U.S.S. Enterprise