What happened to Spearchucker?

Frank Nocera

Sep 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/28/99
Did they ever explain why Spearchucker Jones was no longer at the
4077th?I don't think he was killed or things woulda turned serious much
sooner than they did.

Abigail

Sep 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/28/99
Frank Nocera (vai...@webtv.net) wrote on MMCCXX September MCMXCIII in
<URL:news:23898-37F...@newsd-242.iap.bryant.webtv.net>:
++ Did they ever explain why Spearchucker Jones was no longer at the
++ 4077th?

Not in the show. But the FAQ lists rumours on why people have left
the show.

Abigail

http://www.newsfeeds.com The Largest Usenet Servers in the World!
------== Over 73,000 Newsgroups - Including Dedicated Binaries Servers ==-----

Cory

Sep 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/29/99
In article <23898-37F...@newsd-242.iap.bryant.webtv.net>,
vai...@webtv.net says...

> Did they ever explain why Spearchucker Jones was no longer at the
> 4077th?I don't think he was killed or things woulda turned serious much
> sooner than they did.

Isn't Spearchucker the one who just disappeared one day because TPTB of
M*A*S*H realized that there were no african-americans in Korea (or maybe
it was african-american doctors in Korea) or something and wrote out the
character?

--- Cory

--
*REMOVE* the 'purrs' to reply...

Brad

Sep 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/29/99

vai...@webtv.net (Frank Nocera) wrote:
> Did they ever explain why Spearchucker Jones was no
> longer at the
> 4077th?I don't think he was killed or things woulda
> turned serious much
> sooner than they did.

Research showed that there were no black doctors in Korea,
only soldiers. I think this might be one of those questions
that could raise a riot on this newsgroup if someone's in a
bad mood. It's in the FAQs next to the name of Radar's
teddybear.:-)

Brad

Skylerman

Sep 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/29/99
The thing I read was TBTB thought there were too many characters for us
to grasp on the small screen (underestimating our intelligence yet
again, haha). All those people worked for the movie, but they thought
it was too many to keep track of for TV, so Spearchucker, Ugly John, Lt.
Dish, and a couple others were all dumped pretty much at the same time.

Elsig

Sep 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/29/99
>The thing I read was TBTB thought there were too many characters for us to
grasp on the small screen (underestimating our intelligence yet again, haha).

We never underestimated your intelligence. You simply overestimated our
budget.

LG

Abigail

Sep 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/29/99
Cory (onyx3...@xoommail.com) wrote on MMCCXX September MCMXCIII in
<URL:news:MPG.125b5dcaf...@news.mindspring.com>:
++ In article <23898-37F...@newsd-242.iap.bryant.webtv.net>,
++ vai...@webtv.net says...
++ > Did they ever explain why Spearchucker Jones was no longer at the
++ > 4077th?I don't think he was killed or things woulda turned serious much
++ > sooner than they did.
++
++ Isn't Spearchucker the one who just disappeared one day because TPTB of
++ M*A*S*H realized that there were no african-americans in Korea (or maybe
++ it was african-american doctors in Korea) or something and wrote out the
++ character?

That's part of the reason. The other reason was they didn't want to
have to many main characters. Around the same time, Ugly John and Ho Jon
disappeared as well. And the latter didn't because they realized there
were no Korean boys in Korea.

As for African-Americans, Ginger Bayliss was a semi-regular with a minor
role in the first years, and she was an African-American.

Note that in a later year episode, Charles has his teeth taken care
of by a black dentist. Would there be black dentists in Korea, but no
black surgeons?

SptmbrWind

Sep 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/29/99
>We never underestimated your intelligence. You simply overestimated our
>budget.
>
>LG

Elsig has spoken... :)

SptmbrWind

Sep 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/29/99
>Around the same time, Ugly John and Ho Jon
>disappeared as well. And the latter didn't because they realized there
>were no Korean boys in Korea.

I'm not sure I understand...

Genna Reeney

Sep 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/29/99
SptmbrWind wrote
| Abigail wrote

A joke. See reasons for Spearchucker's departure.
--
Genna

Skylerman

Sep 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/29/99
I always found it odd Ho-Jon appeared after the first episode as in the
pilot they were sending him to college :-)

Steve Girotti

Sep 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/30/99
could have been worded a bit differently though...
something like '.. and i doubt that Ho-Jon disappeared because there were no
Korean boys in Korea' would have been more understandable. but no offense to
Abigail of course...

Genna Reeney <willowWATE...@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message

Dr. Poomph

Oct 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/2/99
In article <37F294...@earthlink.com>, Skylerman
<drad...@earthlink.com> wrote:

> I always found it odd Ho-Jon appeared after the first episode as in the
> pilot they were sending him to college :-)

Just because he was accepted to college didn't mean that he would
immediately leave. You usually apply a half a year or so in advance.

we all read way too much into things like this.

Bertram Bourdrez

Oct 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/20/99
SptmbrWind wrote in message "Re: What happened to Spearchucker?":

Hence the smiley.

Bert

--
Bertram Bourdrez (bour...@casema.net) ICQ# 32236129

Haynes Lee

Nov 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/2/99
Hawkeye and Trapper sold him in his sleep.

On Tue, 28 Sep 1999 22:00:09 -0400 (EDT), vai...@webtv.net (Frank
Nocera) wrote:

>Did they ever explain why Spearchucker Jones was no longer at the

>4077th?I don't think he was killed or things woulda turned serious much

>sooner than they did.

Abigail

Nov 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/3/99
Haynes Lee (l...@adan.kingston.net) wrote on MMCCLIV September MCMXCIII in
<URL:news:381e2ad3...@gollum.kingston.net>:
++ On Tue, 28 Sep 1999 22:00:09 -0400 (EDT), vai...@webtv.net (Frank
++ Nocera) wrote:
++
++ >Did they ever explain why Spearchucker Jones was no longer at the
++ >4077th?I don't think he was killed or things woulda turned serious much
++ >sooner than they did.

I wonder, why do people always ask this about Spearchucker? They never
explained why Ugly John was no longer there. Or Ho John. Or Ginger.
Or sgt Zale. Or nurse Cutler. Or capt. Spaulding. Or General Hammond.
Or several other minor figures that appeared in more than one episode. Why
not ask about them?

Skylerman

Nov 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/3/99
I always wondered that myself as they dissapeared at the same time. Kind
of like a MASH "Blair Witch" Project. Maybe they were all in the Mess
Tent together when the stove exploded and the gov't covered it up, lol.

Louis Brand

Nov 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/6/99
I think the reason so many people want to know what happened to
Spearchucker in the series is because he was a fairly important
character in the movie and in the series of books. Sort of a major minor
character: He helps win the big game in the movie and the first novel,
and in M*A*S*H Goes To Maine, he's an integral part of Hawk's scheme to
get the Finest Kind Clinic and Fish Market built, as well as the new
hospital. In M*A*S*H Goes To New Orleans, it's Spearchucker who plots
the scheme to get Hawkeye out of town while his new baby is being born,
thereby setting up the plot.

PAUL GADZIKOWSKI

Nov 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/10/99
Abigail (abi...@delanet.com) wrote:
: I wonder, why do people always ask this about Spearchucker? They never

: explained why Ugly John was no longer there. Or Ho John. Or Ginger.
: Or sgt Zale. Or nurse Cutler. Or capt. Spaulding. Or General Hammond.
: Or several other minor figures that appeared in more than one episode. Why
: not ask about them?

Perhaps because Spearchucker was one of the leads in the novel and the
movie, whereas the other incidental characters who disappeared were always
incidental characters.

--
Paul Gadzikowski, scar...@iglou.com
http://members.iglou.com.scarfman

What >I< say to myself is, "What would Winnie-the-Pooh do?" ... which of
course amounts to the same thing.

Brad

Nov 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/11/99
In article <382a...@news.iglou.com>, scar...@iglou.com (PAUL
GADZIKOWSKI) wrote:

> Perhaps because Spearchucker was one of the leads in the novel and
> the
> movie, whereas the other incidental characters who disappeared
> were always
> incidental characters.

I think it's also because Spearchucker was a member of The Swamp. He
was supposed to be a member of The Swamp, but was of course written
out. I thought he fit in well for the short time he was there. I like
his scenes in 'The Moose' and 'Henry, Please Come Home'.

Abigail

Nov 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/11/99
PAUL GADZIKOWSKI (scar...@iglou.com) wrote on MMCCLXIII September
MCMXCIII in <URL:news:382a...@news.iglou.com>:
++ Abigail (abi...@delanet.com) wrote:
++ : I wonder, why do people always ask this about Spearchucker? They never
++ : explained why Ugly John was no longer there. Or Ho John. Or Ginger.
++ : Or sgt Zale. Or nurse Cutler. Or capt. Spaulding. Or General Hammond.
++ : Or several other minor figures that appeared in more than one episode. Why
++ : not ask about them?
++
++ Perhaps because Spearchucker was one of the leads in the novel and the
++ movie, whereas the other incidental characters who disappeared were always
++ incidental characters.

General Hammond, Ho John and Lt. Dish all appeared in the movie.

JayZ755

Nov 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/12/99
>> Perhaps because Spearchucker was one of the leads in the novel and
>> the
>> movie, whereas the other incidental characters who disappeared
>> were always
>> incidental characters.
>
>I think it's also because Spearchucker was a member of The Swamp. He
>was supposed to be a member of The Swamp, but was of course written
>out. I thought he fit in well for the short time he was there. I like
>his scenes in 'The Moose' and 'Henry, Please Come Home'.
>
>Brad

Well Duke Forrest was never even written in.

Really, a lot of the occasional characters or one shots in the early years did
their jobs well. Or their parts were written well. But the cast already had 6
good regulars. Of the rest, it was easy to write Mulcahy into stuff, and
Klinger was the most popular. That's 8, and there isn't that much room for
anyone else in a half hour show.

In an ideal world, every scene that Rizzo ever appeared in would be replaced by
a supporting player from the early years.

Jay

Elf

Nov 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/12/99
jay...@aol.comspamaway (JayZ755) writes:

| In an ideal world, every scene that Rizzo ever appeared in would be replaced by
| a supporting player from the early years.

Amen!

-Elf-
--
Mail: e...@mo.himolde.no URL: http://www.mo.himolde.no/~elf/ IRC: Elf/Alv

"Out of my mind. Back in five minutes."

George Hiebert

Nov 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/12/99
Elf wrote:

> jay...@aol.comspamaway (JayZ755) writes:
>

> | In an ideal world, every scene that Rizzo ever appeared in would be replaced by
> | a supporting player from the early years.
> |

> Amen!
>
> -Elf-

Agreed, I could have really done without Rizzo.

Gerard

Nov 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/12/99
In article <382C40...@direct.ca>, George Hiebert <ge...@direct.ca>
wrote:

> Agreed, I could have really done without Rizzo.

If that happened, the acting world would not have Laura Dern, if it wasn't
for at least some inspiration from her father (who, yes, played Rizzo).

Mary Cini

Nov 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/12/99
>If that happened, the acting world would not have Laura Dern, if it wasn't for
at least some inspiration from her father (who, yes, played Rizzo).>

Get outta town! I didn't know that.

.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯ )>¥<( ¯`·.,¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.-->¥<--.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯ )>¥<(
What happened at my house this week?
Read "Circling the Cul-de-Sac" at
http://www.griper.com

Pam Burke

Nov 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/12/99
I think thats a little harsh!

--
Pam :)

************************************
Pam Burke
Charlottetown, PEI
hawk...@mash4077.com
************************************

Elf

Nov 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/12/99
"Pam Burke" <hawk...@mash4077.com> writes:

| I think thats a little harsh!

What is? That Rizzo should never been invented, or claiming that GW Bailey is
Laura Dern's father?

Brad

Nov 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/12/99
In article <19991112012940...@ng-fe1.aol.com>,
jay...@aol.comspamaway (JayZ755) wrote:

> >I think it's also because Spearchucker was a member of The Swamp.
> He
> >was supposed to be a member of The Swamp, but was of course
> written
> >out.

> Well Duke Forrest was never even written in.

No but in the TV series, Spearchucker_was_. And he was a member of The
Swamp. And that's why people ask about him. People ask why he left. He
was going to be a semi-regular, not as equal as Hawkeye and Trapper,
but in his fair few episodes per season. But the research didn't
support his being there.

Duke Forrest wasn't written into the TV series. Hence he wasn't there
at all.

> In an ideal world, every scene that Rizzo ever appeared in would
> be replaced by
> a supporting player from the early years.

When Rizzo was there, Zale had left. So they replaced one "occasional
character" with another.

PAUL GADZIKOWSKI

Nov 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/12/99
Abigail (abi...@delanet.com) wrote:
: PAUL GADZIKOWSKI (scar...@iglou.com) wrote on MMCCLXIII September

: MCMXCIII in <URL:news:382a...@news.iglou.com>:
: ++ Abigail (abi...@delanet.com) wrote:
: ++ : I wonder, why do people always ask this about Spearchucker?
: ++ Perhaps because Spearchucker was one of the leads in the novel and the
: ++ movie, whereas the other incidental characters who disappeared were always
: ++ incidental characters.

: General Hammond, Ho John and Lt. Dish all appeared in the movie.

But they weren't Swampmen. They were incidental characters all along.

--
http://members.iglou.com/scarfman: The Daily Cartoons
Paul Gadzikowski - DOCTOR WHO, STAR TREK, BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER,

JayZ755

Nov 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/13/99
>> In an ideal world, every scene that Rizzo ever appeared in would
>> be replaced by
>> a supporting player from the early years.
>
>When Rizzo was there, Zale had left. So they replaced one "occasional
>character" with another.
>
>Brad

I have no problem with occasional characters. I had a problem with the quality
of the performance.

Jay

Joeytrom

Nov 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/14/99
Wasn't it mentioned in an early episode that Duke Forester was transferred out
of the 4077th?

Mikael Uhlin

Nov 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/14/99
Joeytrom wrote:
>Wasn't it mentioned in an early episode that Duke Forester was
>transferred out of the 4077th?

The character was named Duke Forrest and yes, Hawkeye and Trapper once
mentioned a doctor Forrest who "was here last year" or something like that.

endeavoring...@gmail.com

Jan 18, 2018, 9:40:46 AM1/18/18
They sold him.

Iggy Ren

Mar 3, 2018, 9:32:06 PM3/3/18

<endeavoring...@gmail.com> wrote in message
> They sold him.

His character was discontinued when the writers realized there were no black
surgeons in Korea.

ncrdbl1

Apr 6, 2018, 4:20:28 AM4/6/18
Anyone ever stop and think that focus groups just did not care for the character and thus he was written out.

Hell if you going to start removing things which were not actually in Korea at the time you would remove half the show.

thirt...@gmail.com

Jun 15, 2019, 6:32:59 AM6/15/19
Somebody should have told Dr. Alvin Blount who was a Chief of Surgery for a MASH unit in Korea that he wasn't black and therefore didn't need to join the landmark lawsuit that led to desegregating Hospitals in the south.

stephan...@gmail.com

Apr 11, 2020, 7:55:12 PM4/11/20

stephan...@gmail.com

Apr 11, 2020, 7:56:59 PM4/11/20

jasonaw...@gmail.com

May 20, 2020, 1:06:08 PM5/20/20
I think this is the one of the oldest necros I've ever seen