fun trivia

Sir Ron4suzannah

Feb 25, 2002, 7:15:27 PM2/25/02
what two people from mash move were in the series name the actors and
their characters

Randy

Feb 25, 2002, 8:44:17 PM2/25/02
In article <4622-3C7...@storefull-106.iap.bryant.webtv.net>,
SirRon4...@webtv.net (Sir Ron4suzannah) wrote:

> what two people from mash move were in the series name the actors and
> their characters

too easy

Gary Burghoff (Radar)and Jo Ann Pflug (Lt. Dish)

BTW, what ever happened to Spearchucker? This has to be an old
question but just watching Season 1 on DVD makes me ask?

Chris Beilby

Feb 25, 2002, 8:51:57 PM2/25/02

> BTW, what ever happened to Spearchucker? This has to be an old
> question but just watching Season 1 on DVD makes me ask?

Spearchuckler was dropped when it was found out by the production staff that
there were no black surgeons in M*A*S*H units during the Korean War.

George B. Eldredge, Jr.

Feb 25, 2002, 9:36:47 PM2/25/02

It would be easy....if that were truly the answer (karen phillips played
dish in the series, not jo ann pflug)...if the question refers to actors
who appear as the same character in both the movie and the t.v. series,
then gary burghoff (radar) and g. wood (general hammond). timothy brown
played spearchucker in the t.v. series, and some corporal in the movie
whose name i can't remember offhand (if he even had a name onscreen).

of course if you want characters who appeared in both the movie and the
series then that is a whole other list.

Matt J. McCullar

Feb 25, 2002, 10:53:37 PM2/25/02

"Sir Ron4suzannah" <SirRon4...@webtv.net> wrote in message

> what two people from mash move were in the series name the actors and
> their characters

Bring that sentence in and I can add punctuation by Wednesday.

Sir Ron4suzannah

Feb 26, 2002, 9:25:15 AM2/26/02
gary burghoff as radar lt dish was played by karen philipps on tv

Manic

Feb 26, 2002, 12:47:30 PM2/26/02
"Chris Beilby" <cbe...@hroads.net> wrote in message

You would think that during the ten years the Korean War lasted, at least
*one* black surgeon would have turned up...

;o)

--
Brother Manic
shave my čyébrows to reply

Gumbo ...

Feb 26, 2002, 9:48:51 PM2/26/02
On Tue, 26 Feb 2002 17:47:30 GMT, "Manic" <manic@deprčssivé.co.uk>
wrote:

>>You would think that during the ten years the Korean War lasted, at least
>>*one* black surgeon would have turned up...
>>
>>;o)

Sorry to say but No... You have to remember that Korean War took place
during the 50's and even though Mash showed an ok relationship between
whites and blacks... A lot of America didn't...

Thats why in the one episode about the racist Sargent who wanted the
right color blood... Hawkeye and Trapper tell him about the doctor who
created Plasma and that he bleed to death because he was black and the
hospital was for whites only...

Gumbo ...

Feb 26, 2002, 9:50:09 PM2/26/02
wrote:

>>You would think that during the ten years the Korean War lasted, at least

>>*one* black surgeon would have turned up...
>>
>>;o)

I replied to this already but I read it too fast the first time and
didn't notice the bit about the war lasting 10 years...

Yea... You would think one would have shown up...

George B. Eldredge, Jr.

Feb 26, 2002, 10:23:58 PM2/26/02
"Gumbo ..." wrote:

> Thats why in the one episode about the racist Sargent who wanted the
> right color blood... Hawkeye and Trapper tell him about the doctor who
> created Plasma and that he bleed to death because he was black and the
> hospital was for whites only...

minor note...dr. charles drew didn't "create" plasma, he developed the process
by which the red blood cells can be separated from the plasma in the blood,
which allows the donation to be kept longer (i.e. blood banks).

-gbe

Brad Filippone

Feb 26, 2002, 10:59:41 PM2/26/02
Gumbo ... (Gu...@mkx.org) wrote:
: On Tue, 26 Feb 2002 17:47:30 GMT, "Manic" <manic@deprčssivé.co.uk>
: wrote:

There's also the racist officer in "The Tooth Shall Set you Free"

The Other Brad

JayZ755

Feb 27, 2002, 12:26:44 AM2/27/02

That is what we have been told. I should point out that there was a black
dentist mentioned in Otto Apel's book about his M*A*S*H.

There must have been black surgeons in society. I am assuming that segregation
applied to hospitals in the south too, so blacks in that part of the country
had to provide their own surgeons.

I think there were four actual M*A*S*H units, and three surgeons per unit.
Surgeons seldom served more than a year. Let's assume about 15 surgeons passed
through each unit during the war - that's about 60. Again going by Apel, the
Army made an effort to draft people who had benefited from aid programs in the
past. At least a few of the surgeons could have been volunteers, too. Perhaps
black weren't very prominent in either of those groups. The number of black
surgeons from non-southern areas probably was lower than the percentage of
blacks in the population. A number of factors, including chance, could have
explained why there were no black surgeons in Korea and still some in the
general population.

I should also point out that, IMO, had Spearchucker been deemed a popular or
essential character; TPTB would have conveniently ignored the fact that there
were no black surgeons in Korea. :)

Jay

This space intentionally left blank.

Andrew Smith

Feb 27, 2002, 6:23:03 PM2/27/02

> I should also point out that, IMO, had Spearchucker been deemed a popular or
> essential character; TPTB would have conveniently ignored the fact that there
> were no black surgeons in Korea. :)

I agree. I have always taken the official justification for the removal
of Spearchucker with a grain of salt. Fact remains his character was not
popular enough to survive in an already character-rich cast. But,
because the actor was black, the show's producers probably thought it
prudent to draw on history to justify his exclusion to prevent people
jumping to the ridiculous conclusion that he was omitted because of the
colour of his skin.

Gumbo ...

Feb 27, 2002, 11:49:48 PM2/27/02
On Wed, 27 Feb 2002 03:23:58 GMT, "George B. Eldredge, Jr."
<gbej...@cox.net> wrote:

>>minor note...dr. charles drew didn't "create" plasma, he developed the process
>>by which the red blood cells can be separated from the plasma in the blood,
>>which allows the donation to be kept longer (i.e. blood banks).
>>
>>-gbe

History note taken and learned... =)

Gumbo ...

Feb 27, 2002, 11:52:25 PM2/27/02
Maybe Larry (Elsig) could shed some light on this and maybe find out
why whoever wrote the episode didn't look into the story/facts...

On a side note... Since the episode and Mash was taking place in the
50's and Hawkeye and Trapper were in the Korean War. News maybe came
across only in bits and pieces and maybe at the time... This is what
they heard that the doctor wasn't helped because of going to a all
"white" hospital and later on the real truth was finally known.

Appreciate the link... Learned a lot from it...

On Tue, 26 Feb 2002 21:01:52 -0600, Cory <ony...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>>> Thats why in the one episode about the racist Sargent who wanted the
>>> right color blood... Hawkeye and Trapper tell him about the doctor who
>>> created Plasma and that he bleed to death because he was black and the
>>> hospital was for whites only...
>>

>>FTR, the story about Dr. Charles Drew's death is apparently bogus...
>>
>>http://www.urbanlegends.com/death/charles.drew/charles_drew.html
>>
>>--- Cory

Manic

Feb 28, 2002, 5:02:08 AM2/28/02
"Gumbo ..." <Gu...@mkx.org> wrote in message

tee hee

Glad you saw it on the second reading. I /was/ beginning to worry...

Elsig

Feb 28, 2002, 10:36:42 AM2/28/02

>Maybe Larry (Elsig) could shed some light on this

If it is, in fact, a verifiable urban myth, I'm afraid I bought it.

LG

Manic

Feb 28, 2002, 10:52:23 AM2/28/02
"Elsig" <el...@aol.com> wrote in message

> >Maybe Larry (Elsig) could shed some light on this
> >

> If it is, in fact, a verifiable urban myth, I'm afraid I bought it.
>
> LG

I wouldn't feel too bad. The episode *was* made before the existence of
useful things like snopes. Mind you, the Straight Dope /was/ in print at the
time...
http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a5_073.html

Gumbo ...

Feb 28, 2002, 8:53:36 PM2/28/02
On 28 Feb 2002 15:36:42 GMT, el...@aol.com (Elsig) wrote:

>>If it is, in fact, a verifiable urban myth, I'm afraid I bought it.
>>
>>LG

I would play it off that Hawkeye and Trapper knew the real truth but
just wanted to change the story a little to make the racist soldier
feel bad...