Spearchucker & Klinger

Chuck Stoddard

Jun 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/30/98

It has been said that the Spearchucker character was removed because it was
discovered there were no black doctors in the Korea. Using this logic am I
to assume that there was an openly cross dressing corpsman in Korea?

Just thinking, maybe too much.

Thanks

Dan

Jul 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/1/98

Consider this, they took Duke out because they didn't want too many main
characters, this might also be a contributing factor in taking Spearchucker
out, on top of the fact that there were no black doctors in the Korean war. Now
I don't know this for sure, but I think they didn't have in mind trying to have
exact historical accuracy, though they may have figured that a lot of people
would figure out that there were no black doctors and it would be a much bigger
in accuracy than their occasional blooper. And true, there may have not been
any cross-dressing corpsmen in Korea, but I am sure it is a safe bet to say
that there were several corpsmen bucking for a section-8 discharge, so the
creators of the show thought this would be a funny way to portray one of those
people. This may not be correct, so if anyone can support or deny this, the
info would be appreciated. On a trivia note, Jamie Farr is the only cast
memeber that actually fought in the Korean War! =)
later
Dan

Chuck Stoddard wrote:

--

ICQ: 7916909
1! 2! 5! -Three sir!- 3!

MsF

Jul 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/1/98

Dan wrote:

> Consider this, they took Duke out because they didn't want too many main
> characters, this might also be a contributing factor in taking Spearchucker
> out, on top of the fact that there were no black doctors in the Korean war. Now
> I don't know this for sure, but I think they didn't have in mind trying to have
> exact historical accuracy, though they may have figured that a lot of people
> would figure out that there were no black doctors and it would be a much bigger
> in accuracy than their occasional blooper. And true, there may have not been
> any cross-dressing corpsmen in Korea, but I am sure it is a safe bet to say
> that there were several corpsmen bucking for a section-8 discharge, so the
> creators of the show thought this would be a funny way to portray one of those
> people. This may not be correct, so if anyone can support or deny this, the
> info would be appreciated. On a trivia note, Jamie Farr is the only cast
> memeber that actually fought in the Korean War! =)
> later
> Dan
>
> Chuck Stoddard wrote:
>
> > It has been said that the Spearchucker character was removed because it was
> > discovered there were no black doctors in the Korea. Using this logic am I
> > to assume that there was an openly cross dressing corpsman in Korea?
> >
> > Just thinking, maybe too much.
> >
> > Thanks

Was this character in the book? Why would the series be
concerned about "historical" accuracy if Hooker wrote about
the guy and included him in the book. Hooker states that his
characters were compilations, so it is interesting why this
character would be depicted as black in the book without some
sort of historical precedent or some reason on Hooker's part.

It just doesn't make sense for the TV crowd to say it was
not historical when the book and the movie depicted this
character as black.

PAUL GADZIKOWSKI

Jul 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/2/98

MsF (cic...@ticnet.com) wrote:
: It just doesn't make sense for the TV crowd to say it was

: not historical when the book and the movie depicted this
: character as black.

If it's true that there were no black surgeons in MASHes, then it makes
more sense for them to have dropped the character than for Hooker to have
created him. What I suspect the case truly is, however, is that Hooker and
the TV producers had different creative visions dictated by their media
and/or the stories they wanted to tell.

--

http://members.iglou.com/scarfman:
Paul Gadzikowski, scar...@iglou.com Bedivere's Round Table - Cartoons -

Elric heard Erekose laugh bitterly, "Why cannot I - we - ever be faced
with a small problem, a domestic problem? Why are we forever involved with
the destiny of the universe?"
Corum replied just as Elric began to nod into a half-doze. "Perhaps
domestic problems are worse. Who knows?"

_The Sleeping Sorceress_ by Michael Moorcock

Gumbo ...

Jul 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/2/98

On Wed, 01 Jul 1998 00:05:59 -0400, Dan <upsan...@FRYSPAMalltel.net>
Wrote In Sacrificial Blood & Sweat:

>> On a trivia note, Jamie Farr is the only cast
>>memeber that actually fought in the Korean War! =)
>>later
>>Dan

Wait a minute.. If he has actually in the Korean War then he would have to
been between 18-20 at the time and the TV show MASH didn't happen for
another 20 years later. Korean War was if I remember right 1950-1952 and
MASH started when in 1972? So that would make him in his 40's when he
started MASH...

Too Big...Too Sexxy...Too Talented...The Lamer Killer
Gumbo ...
Wasted Youth Inc.
Mortal Kombat Extreme
ob...@mindspring.com
The Enforcer of MKX... Judge... Jury... Executioner...

Dan

Jul 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/2/98

Hey, it could have been, Gary Burgough was in his 30's when he was in MASH. Pretty
interesting, eh?
later
Dan

Gumbo ... wrote:

Standridge Family

Jul 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/2/98

Dan wrote:

> Hey, it could have been, Gary Burgough was in his 30's when he was in MASH. Pretty
> interesting, eh?

And David Ogden Stiers was younger than Gary!

Abigail

Jul 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/3/98

Chuck Stoddard (stod...@byelectric.com) wrote on MDCCLXIV September
MCMXCIII in <URL: news:01bda46a$c4fc4e40$8242110c@stoddard>:
++ It has been said that the Spearchucker character was removed because it was
++ discovered there were no black doctors in the Korea. Using this logic am I
++ to assume that there was an openly cross dressing corpsman in Korea?

Yeah, and Ho Jon disappeared because there were no Korean boys in Korea.

Abigail

Abigail

Jul 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/3/98

Dan (upsan...@FRYSPAMalltel.net) wrote on MDCCLXV September MCMXCIII in
[...]

Wasn't Klinger based on certain things Lenny Bruce was supposed to
have done?

ObTrivia: What is Klinger wearing at the end of the first episode
he appears in?

Abigail

Steve B

Jul 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/3/98
Could it possibly be that Jamie Farr only served in Korea, but did not actually fight in the war?

That would have allowed him to be the right age at the time of the series, although I think he did look older and could have been 40 when the series started.

Steve B

p.s. here's a line from an episodeI found particularly funny tonight:  Mulcahy "This isn't one of my sermons, I expect you to listen to me!"

Gumbo ... wrote:

> On Wed, 01 Jul 1998 00:05:59 -0400, Dan <upsan...@FRYSPAMalltel.net>
> Wrote In Sacrificial Blood & Sweat:
>

> >> On a trivia note, Jamie Farr is the only cast

> >>memeber that actually fought in the Korean War! =)

Egbert Hannink

Jul 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/3/98

>Wait a minute.. If he has actually in the Korean War then he would have to
>been between 18-20 at the time and the TV show MASH didn't happen for
>another 20 years later. Korean War was if I remember right 1950-1952 and
>MASH started when in 1972? So that would make him in his 40's when he
>started MASH...

Jamie Farr was born on January 7th, 1936
If I'm not mistaken he was 14 in 1950, and I think that's pretty young to be
in a war.
And 36 in 1972. (first episode of MASH)

Steve

Jul 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/3/98

The Internet Movie Database Tour http://us.imdb.com/tour.html says JF was
born July 1, 1936 - still a bit young, but maybe he lied about his age, the
way Col. Potter did in WWI.

Steve

Dan

Jul 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/3/98

Don't shoot the messenger now! I just got that off of a trivia game called, (You
guessed it) "M*A*S*H Triva". You can find it at http://saglac.qc.ca/~poupart, or
email the guy who created itm pou...@sgalac.qc.ca. That is where I saw that he
had fought in the Korean war, if it isn't true, sorry. But I put out a
challenge, someone ought to research this and find out the real answer.
later
Dan

Steve wrote:

George Hiebert

Jul 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/4/98

Ray Muir wrote:

> On 3 Jul 1998 09:44:59 GMT, abi...@fnx.com (Abigail) Rambled on About
> Re: Spearchucker & Klinger with:

> >ObTrivia: What is Klinger wearing at the end of the first episode
> > he appears in?
>
> Nothing!

C'mon Klinger put on a dress or somethig.
Or at least a slip.

Tod

Jul 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/8/98
What I would like to know is how they ever got the approval from the network
S&P folks to have a black character on any show named "Spearchucker"? If
this is not racially inflamatory, I don't know what is. Has anyone
suggested that that is why the character was removed?

Tod

Elf

Jul 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/9/98
"Tod" <thg...@ecom.net> writes:

Well, the reason why they called him Spearchucker is because the
characters name in the movie was also Spearchucker.

I've no idea why you think this is a racist name to give a black man,
but since I'm not from the US I can't really tell if it is. If it is,
you must remember that the humour in the movie was very morbid and
dark, so maybe that's why the staff of MASH 4077 called him that? Not
as an insult to him, but as a "up yours" message to racism.

But as I said, I don't see any racism in the name at all.

Could someone please remind me, did Frank bunk with Spearchucker,
Hawkeye and Trapper in the Swamp, or did he move in when Spearchucker
left the show?

How did the guy playing Spearchucker react to being written out of the show?

--
-Elf-

Deja Moo: The feeling that you've heard this bullshit before.

Bill Kinkaid

Jul 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/10/98
Elf <e...@nobacon.intervett.no> wrote:

>"Tod" <thg...@ecom.net> writes:
>>
>> What I would like to know is how they ever got the approval from the network
>> S&P folks to have a black character on any show named "Spearchucker"? If
>> this is not racially inflamatory, I don't know what is. Has anyone
>> suggested that that is why the character was removed?
>>
>Well, the reason why they called him Spearchucker is because the
>characters name in the movie was also Spearchucker.

In the movie someone asked him "why did they call you Spearchucker".
He said "I used to throw the javelin".

Bill in Vancouver
(delete EAT-SPAM-AND-DIE
from e-mail address to respond)

PAUL GADZIKOWSKI

Jul 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/10/98

: >"Tod" <thg...@ecom.net> writes:
: >> What I would like to know is how they ever got the approval from the network
: >> S&P folks to have a black character on any show named "Spearchucker"? If
: >> this is not racially inflamatory, I don't know what is. Has anyone
: >> suggested that that is why the character was removed?
: >Well, the reason why they called him Spearchucker is because the
: >characters name in the movie was also Spearchucker.
: In the movie someone asked him "why did they call you Spearchucker".
: He said "I used to throw the javelin".

"Spearchucker" has also been used, or so I gather, as a reference to
Afro-Americans' ancestors' "primitive" origins before being imported to
this continent as slaves; this will be what Tod refers to above. However,
dialog from the movie notwithstanding, I assume Hooker chose the nickname
for the character as an allusion to the passes he threw as a quarterback.

--

http://members.iglou.com/scarfman:
Paul Gadzikowski, scar...@iglou.com Bedivere's Round Table - Cartoons -
Archy the Cockroach - DOCTOR WHO, STAR
DrWho on LambdaMOO, DownMOO, MOOchine TREK [including T*R*E*K] and BUFFY
THE VAMPIRE SLAYER fanfiction

"Fan fiction is a way of the culture repairing the damage
done in a system where contemporary myths are owned
by corporations instead of owned by the folk."
Henry Jenkins, director of media studies at MIT
Author of "Textual Poachers: Media Fans and Participatory Culture"

Luns

Jul 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/10/98
The reason why Spearchucker was written out of the show, was because the
writers found out, that there was no black men in the korean war

Abigail

Jul 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/10/98
Elf (e...@nobacon.intervett.no) wrote on MDCCLXXIII September MCMXCIII in
++ Could someone please remind me, did Frank bunk with Spearchucker,
++ Hawkeye and Trapper in the Swamp, or did he move in when Spearchucker
++ left the show?

Spearchucker never "left", he just faded away. And yes, Spearchucker
and Franks shared the Swamp with Hawkeye & Trapper. See for instance,
"Germ warfare". Also note that in the first episode of the second season
(Divided we stand) Hawkeye mentions sharing the Swamp with 3 other people.

++ How did the guy playing Spearchucker react to being written out of the show?

Could anyone explain to me why we always get questions about Spearchucker
getting written out of the show, and never about Ugly John or Ho John,
who both appeared in episodes later than Spearchuckers last?

Abigail

fransic

Jul 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/10/98
Abigail wrote:
> Could anyone explain to me why we always get questions about Spearchucker
> getting written out of the show, and never about Ugly John or Ho John,
> who both appeared in episodes later than Spearchuckers last?
>
> Abigail

maybe someone is just interested in spearchucker at the moment. if
you're interested in the other characters then so be it and start a new
subject, but don't bother people if they are interested in something
else. you are not miss mash.

deepf...@hotmail.com

Jul 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/11/98
In article <01bd9ebb$fb0dcae0$53f6ffc2@default>,

"Luns" <lun...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> The reason why Spearchucker was written out of the show, was because the
> writers found out, that there was no black men in the korean war

Point of correction - there were lots of Black men in the Korean war. There
were Ethiopians, to start large, a whole country of Black people. There were
also Black Americans and Canadians.

What you probably meant to say was that there were no Black American Field
Surgeons in Korea

Deep Fish out of Korea

PAUL GADZIKOWSKI

Jul 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/11/98
Luns (lun...@hotmail.com) wrote:
: The reason why Spearchucker was written out of the show, was because the
: writers found out, that there was no black men in the korean war

No black >surgeons<.

PAUL GADZIKOWSKI

Jul 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/11/98
Abigail (abi...@fnx.com) wrote:
: Could anyone explain to me why we always get questions about Spearchucker
: getting written out of the show, and never about Ugly John or Ho John,

: who both appeared in episodes later than Spearchuckers last?

Because Spearchucker was a Swamp Man. He was one of the four lead
characters by billing in the movie, and in Hooker's sequel novels "...
Maine" and "... Mania" all four Swampmen open a practice together in
Spruce Harbor. Better to ask why we get questions about Spearchucker more
often than Duke.

Abigail

Jul 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/12/98
PAUL GADZIKOWSKI (scar...@iglou.com) wrote on MDCCLXXV September
MCMXCIII in <URL: news:Evy9n...@iglou.com>:
++ Luns (lun...@hotmail.com) wrote:
++ : The reason why Spearchucker was written out of the show, was because the
++ : writers found out, that there was no black men in the korean war
++
++ No black >surgeons<.

Maybe Larry can settle this once and for all? Did Spearchucker disappear
because there were no black surgeons (and if so, why wasn't there
a replacement character?) or did Spearchucker disappear for the same
reason Ho John and Ugly John disappeared? (Not wanting too many regulars)

Abigail

Egbert Hannink

Jul 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/12/98
> [snap]

> or did Spearchucker disappear for the same
>reason Ho John and Ugly John disappeared? (Not wanting too many regulars)
I believe also Duke (from the movie) wasn't in the series because of too
many regulars.

Elsig

Jul 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/12/98

>Did Spearchucker disappear >because there were no black surgeons (and if so,

why wasn't there a replacement character?) or did Spearchucker disappear for

the same reason Ho John and Ugly John disappeared? (Not wanting too many
regulars)>

Extensive research indiated there were no black surgeons in MASH units in
Korea.

We were not interested in empty tokenism.

We also had to cut down on the number of characters in the series for budgetary
reasons.

As with Radar's poor nameless Teddy bear, this is another subject we might tuck
in and put to sleep for awhile.

Larry G.