Crabapple Cove, Maine

Stefan Schmiedl

Nov 24, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/24/96

Hi everyone,

we seem to have a small problem here in Germany.

The topic is Hawkeye's hometown Crabapple Cove supposedly in Maine.

But nobody over here is able to find it ...

Any help on this (-: matter of life and death :-) would be appreciated.

--
Stefan Schmiedl <mailto:sw...@regensburg.netsurf.de>
Ittlinger Str. 27c <http://soon/to/come>

ble...@aol.com

Nov 24, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/24/96

I have never been able to find it either. I think it was made up just for
M*A*S*H.

Scott Thomas

mrqu...@aol.com

Nov 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/25/96

Crabapple Cove, Maine is easy to find. You drive north from Boston, cross
the Maine/Massachusetts border, and turn west....or is that east? Maybe
you just go straight ahead. When you come to the first moose on the
right, you're almost there.

The truth is, that there probably is no Crabapple Cove, Maine. The
introduction to the MASH book by "Richard Hooker" concludes this way:

"The characters in this book are composites of people I knew, met
casually, worked with, or heard about. No one in the book bears more than
a coincidental resemblance to an actual person."

So it's probably fair to assume that if he made up the people, he made up
the places they're from.

Mike and the Mrs. 2

Nov 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/29/96

Some of the places anyway. I guess that "Crabapple Cove" sounded like a good
name for a town in Maine. I doubt that there is such a place, but I think
that it was the writer's intention to show that people from all sorts of towns
and places got thrown together in the Korean war. It's also an interestine
contrast, Pierce, a small town doctor, is as good as Winchester, who with all
his money could have been anything.

Viggy

mrqu...@aol.com

Nov 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/30/96

Viggy writes: " It's also an interesting
contrast, Pierce, a small town doctor, is as good as Winchester, who with
all
his money could have been anything."

Comparing Pierce and Winchester as doctors is a bit of a
stretch...Winchester was a creation of Burt Metcalfe and the staff writers
in the sixth season when they had to find a "replacement" for Frank Burns.
Therefore, neither novelist Richard Hooker nor Gelbart/Reynolds had any
intention of demonstrating that Hawkeye from tiny Crabapple Cove could be
as good a surgeon as a brahman from Bahstahn. Furthermore, I don't
remember Hawkeye ever saying where he went to medical school or received
his surgical training. (Derkomai -- HELP! with this one if you know it,
please.) For all we know, it could have been at Massachusetts General,
where Chahles got his.

Workin...@worldnet.att.net

Nov 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/30/96

I think Hawkeye spent some of his "medical training" time in Chicago. How
else would have been so familiar with the Dearborn Street Station
and Adam's Ribs?

Just guessing here. Ya'll correct me if I'm wrong.

Arlene

ROGER P. PIZIO

Nov 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/30/96

mrqu...@aol.com wrote:

> Viggy writes: " It's also an interesting
> contrast, Pierce, a small town doctor, is as good as Winchester, who with
> all
> his money could have been anything."
>
> Comparing Pierce and Winchester as doctors is a bit of a
> stretch...Winchester was a creation of Burt Metcalfe and the staff writers
> in the sixth season when they had to find a "replacement" for Frank Burns.
> Therefore, neither novelist Richard Hooker nor Gelbart/Reynolds had any
> intention of demonstrating that Hawkeye from tiny Crabapple Cove could be
> as good a surgeon as a brahman from Bahstahn. Furthermore, I don't
> remember Hawkeye ever saying where he went to medical school or received
> his surgical training. (Derkomai -- HELP! with this one if you know it,
> please.) For all we know, it could have been at Massachusetts General,
> where Chahles got his.

He did his resdiency in Boston. I forget the name of the hospital but I beleive it
wasn't Mass gen. It is mentioned in the episode were his old flame, Carly if
memory serves, shows up and he ends up proposing himself into a corner.

Scott

Z...@ICI.NET <--------PLEASE POST PRIVATE REPLIES HERE

Chris Borg

Ken Houskins

Dec 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/10/96

Chicago sounds like a good assumption. As for the quality of medical
care...Hawkeye's father was a doctor and would have been a great
influence on how he practiced medicine. I don't think Charles's father
was a doctor. Besides, money and education don't make the better doctor
-- desire to help sick (and wounded) people makes the man and the doctor
better. Hawkeye has that quality. Charles only cares about position
and wealth. You tell me...who is the better man?

Karen H. knpo...@mail.eos.net

Happy Holidays!!

ROGER P. PIZIO

Dec 12, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/12/96

Furthermore, I don't
> > : > remember Hawkeye ever saying where he went to medical school or received
> > : > his surgical training. (Derkomai -- HELP! with this one if you know it,
> > : > please.) For all we know, it could have been at Massachusetts General,
> > : > where Chahles got his.
> >
> > : I think Hawkeye spent some of his "medical training" time in Chicago. How
> > : else would have been so familiar with the Dearborn Street Station
> > : and Adam's Ribs?
> >
> > : Just guessing here. Ya'll correct me if I'm wrong.
> >
> > : Arlene

I seem to recall that he did his residency in Boston. This was mentioned in the episode
were his old college flame/all-most-fiancee (Carly?) shows up. Also latter in the
series, Charles eps, there was a referece to him sneaking off to see red sox matinee
games.

Of course that could all be the result of faulty memory and I appologize if it is.

Scott Z...@ICI.NET

Elsig

Dec 13, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/13/96

For additional trivia, please know that Hawkeye's old flame, the one who
shows up in the episode entitled, "The More I See You," was the actress
Blythe Danner, the mother of Gwenyth Paltrow.

Larry

Elsig

Dec 13, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/13/96

Just to correct my spelling - Blythe Danner's daughter's name is Gwyneth
Paltrow.

Larry

Michael Bister

Dec 16, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/16/96

Ken Houskins <knpo...@mail.eos.net> wrote:

> care...Hawkeye's father was a doctor and would have been a great
> influence on how he practiced medicine.

I did not know, that Hawk's father was a doctor. In the novel, he is a
fisherman at Crabapple Cove, and lives in really poor conditions.
Perhaps someone can help me. In what situation is it said, that Hawk's
father is a doctor?

Michael

B.Merkley

Dec 17, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/17/96

Many times in the TV series it is mentioned that Hawk's dad is a
doctor. Only in the book is his dad a fisherman...re. the "finest
kind" quotes in the book

Bruce
Remember kids, once you have pulled the pin, Mr. Grenade is no longer
your friend.

B.Merkley

Dec 17, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/17/96

Brian Cannell

Dec 17, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/17/96

In article <199612161...@pppe133.uni-muenster.de>, Michael Bister
<bis...@uni-muenster.de> writes

>Ken Houskins <knpo...@mail.eos.net> wrote:
>

>> care...Hawkeye's father was a doctor and would have been a great
>> influence on how he practiced medicine.
>
>I did not know, that Hawk's father was a doctor. In the novel, he is a
>fisherman at Crabapple Cove, and lives in really poor conditions.
>Perhaps someone can help me. In what situation is it said, that Hawk's
>father is a doctor?
>

>Michael

One example is during the episode where they are planning a party for
their folks back home and coming up with excuses why it couldn't happen.
Hawkeye says that his father would not leave Crabapple Cove because of
his patients, which Hawkeye always thought of as more important than
himself.

Cheers
--
Brian Cannell
br...@warthog.demon.co.uk

Tim Helmer

Dec 18, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/18/96

Michael Bister wrote:

> Ken Houskins <knpo...@mail.eos.net> wrote:
>

> > care...Hawkeye's father was a doctor and would have been a great
> > influence on how he practiced medicine.
>
> I did not know, that Hawk's father was a doctor. In the novel, he is a
> fisherman at Crabapple Cove, and lives in really poor conditions.
> Perhaps someone can help me. In what situation is it said, that Hawk's
> father is a doctor?
>
> Micheal

If memory serves me, wasn't it the episode when Hawkeye's father goes in
for an operation? The one where Hawkey and Winchester confide in each
other.... After Hawkeye receives the good news that his dad is going to
be alright and he gets through to him on the phone he says "Do what you
tell your patients to do. Do what the nurses tell you to do!"

Tim...

Karen Hoskins

Dec 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/20/96

Michael Bister wrote:

> Ken Houskins <knpo...@mail.eos.net> wrote:
>

> > care...Hawkeye's father was a doctor and would have been a great
> > influence on how he practiced medicine.
>
> I did not know, that Hawk's father was a doctor. In the novel, he is a
> fisherman at Crabapple Cove, and lives in really poor conditions.
> Perhaps someone can help me. In what situation is it said, that Hawk's
> father is a doctor?
>
> Michael

There was an episode where the families planned a get together through
their M*A*S*H relatives. Hawkeye said his father was too busy and would
never leave his patients. Hawk had always believed his father put his
patients over him. He got a surprise in the form of a letter from Pop
Pierce saying his patients could live without him a few days. He'd be
happy to meet the families of the people who meant so much to him in
Korea. I'm about 90% sure. I'll have to watch some tapes to see for
sure (my M*A*S*H tapes aren't labeled).

Karen H. knpo...@mail.idt.net

rbass...@gmail.com

Apr 8, 2019, 7:10:48 PM4/8/19
It is not a real town

cnc...@gmail.com

Jul 23, 2020, 10:41:06 AM7/23/20
There is no Mass Maine border you dumb bastard.

Iggy Ren

Jul 29, 2020, 4:05:56 AM7/29/20

<cnc...@gmail.com> wrote in message
> There is no Mass Maine border you dumb bastard.

Who are you talking to?

Stephen Johnson

Jan 24, 2022, 11:25:40 PM1/24/22
On Wednesday, July 29, 2020 at 4:05:56 AM UTC-4, Iggy Ren wrote:
> <cnc...@gmail.com> wrote in message

I don't know where this thread came from but I enjoyed every second of it.
There apparently isn't a crab apple cove, but I love the dialouge.

regards,
Scuba