Question For ELSIG

David

Dec 27, 2002, 9:27:21 AM12/27/02
Love your writing on the show. M.A.S.H. is my all time favorite.

Is there any way we could get some outtakes added to the DVD's? They would
be so fun to watch.

Thanks

Elsig

Dec 27, 2002, 12:29:21 PM12/27/02
>Is there any way we could get some outtakes added to the DVD's? They would
be so fun to watch.

Yes, they would, but the DVD's are strictly a Fox run operation, and they do
what they like.

LG

J.D.S.

Dec 27, 2002, 2:00:39 PM12/27/02

First of all.. a belated Merry X-mas and an early Happy Newyear wish
from cold Denmark.

Second, as an extra X-mas gift to us M*A*S*H*'natics in here, would
you describe the funniest situation you had on the set.?
Outtake or other experience during the time you set your mark on the
series...

Regards

J.D.S.

Elsig

Dec 27, 2002, 3:43:42 PM12/27/02
> as an extra X-mas gift ...would you describe the funniest situation you had
on the set, Outtake or other experience during the time you set your mark on
the series...

The cast wasa extremely disciplined when it came to doing only the lines that
were written for them. There was no improvisation, no unauthorized changing of
dialogue.

Attending the dailies one day (the dailies being a screening of the film
footage shot the day before), I heard Alda deliver the following line to
another character:

"Close the nor."

I turned to Alda and asked him why he said "nor" instead of "door," since "nor
made absolutely no sense at all.

He said that "nor" was the word written in the script (part of some rewrite I
had sent to the sound stage where they were filming the episode).

I said it was clearly a typo, that he should have said "door" instead of "nor,"
that "nor" made no sense at all.

Alda's reply: "We thought you meant something by it."

Merry Christmas.

LG

ShandaRose

Dec 27, 2002, 4:03:09 PM12/27/02

thats too funny. Were they afraid you would beat them over the head if they
didn't perform exact to the script? Also -- did he end up editing that scene?
I'd LOVE to see that on one of the episodes and say that I knew the history
behind that blooper LOL

Shanda

RNeill22

Dec 27, 2002, 4:29:32 PM12/27/02
>Subject: Re: Question For ELSIG
>From: el...@aol.com (Elsig)

What a great anecdote! Thank you for posting that.

RN

Ken Carriere

Dec 27, 2002, 5:52:53 PM12/27/02

"Elsig" <el...@aol.com> wrote in message

That is too funny. Thank you so much for posting that.

--Ken

Elsig

Dec 27, 2002, 6:07:28 PM12/27/02
>Were they afraid you would beat them over the head if they didn't perform
exact to the script?

There are worse things than being beaten over the head. There is the awareness
that you let the team down.

> Also -- did he end up editing that scene?

We fixed it.

LG

J.D.S.

Dec 27, 2002, 6:09:53 PM12/27/02
On 27 Dec 2002 20:43:42 GMT, el...@aol.com (Elsig) wrote:

>Alda's reply: "We thought you meant something by it."

LOL.. Thanks for sharing that story with us, made my evening here...

Oh and by the way.... Now 20 years after, the question still remains..
Did you mean something by it ??? ;-)

Best wishes for the New Year

J.D.S.

John Baxindine

Dec 27, 2002, 11:39:05 PM12/27/02
el...@aol.com (Elsig) wrote in message news:<20021227180728...@mb-mv.aol.com>...

> > Were they afraid you would beat them over the head if they didn't perform
> > exact to the script?
>
> There are worse things than being beaten over the head. There is the awareness
> that you let the team down.

Too often it seems that, to some people, diverging from the script
doesn't count as "letting the team down."

That the M*A*S*H actors paid you that respect says a lot about you and
a lot about them.

John

wen...@cix.compulink.co.uk

Dec 28, 2002, 9:25:13 AM12/28/02
In article <6572f0d.02122...@posting.google.com>,
baxi...@yahoo.com (John Baxindine) wrote:

> Too often it seems that, to some people, diverging from the script
> doesn't count as "letting the team down."

Some performers make their living by doing that because they are great
improvisers -- Robin Williams, for one (also the Marx Brothers. There's
a famous story about George S. Kaufman attending a performance of The
Cocoanuts on Broadway and interrupting a conversation he was having at
the back of the theater to stare at the stage. "What?" said his friend.
"Ssh," said Kaufman. "I think I just heard one of my original
lines.").

Nice that in this case they had such respect for the quality of the
writing.

wg

Elsig

Dec 28, 2002, 1:27:52 PM12/28/02
>There's
>a famous story about George S. Kaufman attending a performance of The
>Cocoanuts on Broadway and interrupting a conversation he was having at the
back of the theater to stare at the stage. "What?" said his friend. "Ssh,"
said Kaufman. "I think I just heard one of my original lines."

About another Kaufman show:

After the successful opening night, he went off for a brief holiday. Upon his
return, he said he was to see the show again, now that it had been running
awhile, saying it was time "to take out all the improvements."

LG

Brad

Dec 28, 2002, 5:09:05 PM12/28/02

"John Baxindine" <baxi...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> el...@aol.com (Elsig) wrote in message
> > > Were they afraid you would beat them over the head if they didn't
perform
> > > exact to the script?
> >
> > There are worse things than being beaten over the head. There is the
awareness
> > that you let the team down.
>
> Too often it seems that, to some people, diverging from the script
> doesn't count as "letting the team down."

I saw an interview with Woody Allen once, and he said he gives actors the
script and says "this is what happens, feel free to put it into your own
words". He said some actors still don't vary the words. Alda's worked for
Woody a few times, and he did a marvellous job, particularly in Crimes and
Misdemeanors. I wonder how much Alda stayed true to Woody's words.

And let's not forget poor ol' Ring Lardner Jr who got the Academy Award for
MASH in 1970. He was furious apparently that his words didn't appear on the
screen. I still believe he was truly worthy of course, Altman and the actors
couldn't have embellished or adlibbed without the framework of the script.

--
Brad

ESolomonso

Dec 28, 2002, 9:31:25 PM12/28/02
>el...@aol.com (Elsig)
>Date: 12/27/2002 3:43 PM

>The cast wasa extremely disciplined when it came to doing only the lines
>that
>were written for them. There was no improvisation, no unauthorized changing
>of
>dialogue.

> I heard Alda deliver the following line to

>another character:
>
> "Close the nor."

>I turned to Alda and asked him why he said "nor" instead of "door," since
>"nor
>made absolutely no sense at all.
>

>I said it was clearly a typo, that he should have said "door" instead of

>"nor,"
>that "nor" made no sense at all.
>
>Alda's reply: "We thought you meant something by it."

If you think about this, for the cast *not* to question what you "wrote" is
quite a compliment, even if it made no sense and proved to be a typo.

Eddie
======================================
If I want to chew the fat, I'll eat a sandwich.

wen...@cix.compulink.co.uk

Dec 30, 2002, 11:49:42 AM12/30/02
In article <20021228132752...@mb-mu.aol.com>, el...@aol.com
(Elsig) wrote:

There are so many great Kaufman stories.

wg

wen...@cix.compulink.co.uk

Dec 30, 2002, 11:49:43 AM12/30/02
In article <aul7g4$890mv$1...@ID-137736.news.dfncis.de>,
mouse...@hotmail.com (Brad) wrote:

> Alda's worked for
> Woody a few times, and he did a marvellous job, particularly in
> Crimes and
> Misdemeanors. I wonder how much Alda stayed true to Woody's words.

Dunno, but curiously enough the father of one of my oldest friends
played the philosopher/professor in that movie. And AIUI he actually
did either make up or alter to fit himself the lines he said.

It was a very odd experience seeing him -- I knew he was in a Woody
Allen movie, but not which one, and anyway I'd forgotten about it, so
all of a sudden he comes on the screen, huge, and I nearly screamed, "My
God, that's Michael's father!"

wg

Elsig

Dec 30, 2002, 11:53:23 AM12/30/02
>If you think about this, for the cast *not* to question what you "wrote" is
quite a compliment, even if it made no sense and proved to be a typo.

Exactly.

The cast also acted as script police, never failing to tell those guest actors
who were inclined to insert a word of their own here and there just where they
could insert those words.

LG

Elsig

Dec 30, 2002, 12:24:41 PM12/30/02
>There are so many great Kaufman stories.

When Kaufman visited Moss Hart's estate in Bucks County, Pennsylvania, he had
to drive past several hundred trees that Hart had planted on his property.

"Shows you what God would do if He had the money," said Kaufman.

LG

Tim Randall

Dec 30, 2002, 1:52:37 PM12/30/02
Hello Everyone,
I just read over the response about out-takes on Mash. I was very happy
to find a few of these on a video set that I bought at a Christmas Tree
Shop in Up-State NY, last year. This is a 5 tape set that has bloopers
and out-takes from a lot of old movies and shows, just so happens Mash
was one of these shows. I don't know exactly how many are on here but
there are at least 4 or 5 min. of them and you talk about funny :) This
has been the only place that I have seen bloopers of Mash. I do wish
that they would make a whole dvd of them and the behind the set stuff.
We Mash fan's, love that kid of thing. The 5 tape set is called,
Hollywood's Funniest All Star Bloopers and it is put out by Good Times
Video. They have bloopers by Dukes of Hazzards, I Love Lucy, Star Trek,
Happy Day's and so many more shows and movies. I thought I was in Heaven
when I happen to buy it. Then when I saw the Mash bloopers, I knew that
I was :)
ELSIG, you wrote that it will be up to the Fox people to put them on a
dvd for us (Bloopers):
Question: is there a e-mail or snail mail address for them, that would
take us directly to them on this subject? If so, I'm sure we all would
write to them and ask for this. I know that I would.
I wish that there was a archive of all of the posts that have been made
here. I always want to ask a question but I will feel like a real dumb
butt, if it has been asked before. Also being new to this, I might just
sound like an out-of-town'r :)
I also wanted to let ELSIG know how much this show means to me
personally. I posted the other day, it's a little further down on the
list, something like, Hello Everyone. In that, it tells of why Mash is a
Big part of my life and will be, in the lives of people that have not
even been born yet. This show has such Great staying power and it shows
so many emotions. I like what I heard one day about Mash, it's a Dramady
and it is. So much Drama and then that twist of Comedy. I know I read
some place that one of the newer show on NBC, Scrubs, is to tv, what
Mash has been. The only reaction I have is. Bull Stuff! I like Scrubs
but it is no Mash and it does not even hold a candle to Mash. Scrubs is
a Comedy, on it's best day, but there is nowhere near the environment or
the Drama that Mash is. I know no other show that holds a candle to Mash
and I don't think there will ever be one.
I know that I have read about the years, that people liked Mash the best
and I do agree with the one's that liked the first three years the best.
Please don't ever get me wrong though, I love all of them, right to the
last second of Good-Bye, Farewell, Amen...
I am just so glad that we have a place to come to and write and read
about, something that all of us hold so near to our hearts. Keep up the
good work, my fellow Mashfessors :)
Have A Great Day,
Tim :)

JayZ755

Dec 30, 2002, 10:24:41 PM12/30/02

Where they could insert those words? No wonder M*A*S*H never won the Good
Conduct Emmy.

I do find it ironic that a show which celebrated the mavericks over the Frank
Burns types would stick so close to the script. Could have made a good idea
for an episode. M*A*S*H gets a cockamamie sounding order from some general.
They run through the chain of command, everyone insisting and showing that this
is exactly what the general wanted. Finally they get to the general, who tells
them that he wrote it down wrong. Why didn't they show some initiative and do
the right thing? Why would they possibly think an order like that was worth
obeying?

Jay

This space intentionally left blank.

ShandaRose

Dec 31, 2002, 2:32:41 AM12/31/02

>>The cast also acted as script police, never failing to tell those guest
>>actors
>>who were inclined to insert a word of their own here and there just where
>>they
>>could insert those words.
>>
>>LG
>>

>Where they could insert those words? No wonder M*A*S*H never won the Good
>Conduct Emmy.
>
>I do find it ironic that a show which celebrated the mavericks over the Frank
>Burns types would stick so close to the script. Could have made a good idea
>for an episode. M*A*S*H gets a cockamamie sounding order from some general.
>They run through the chain of command, everyone insisting and showing that
>this
>is exactly what the general wanted. Finally they get to the general, who
>tells
>them that he wrote it down wrong. Why didn't they show some initiative and
>do
>the right thing? Why would they possibly think an order like that was worth
>obeying?
>
>Jay

It probably would have won them an Emmy! (or is that the movies? I can never
get those awards straight LOL)

***Shanda, cracking up at the thought of such an episode

Elsig

Dec 31, 2002, 12:12:54 PM12/31/02
>you wrote that it will be up to the Fox people to put them on a dvd for us
(Bloopers):
>Question: is there a e-mail or snail mail address for them, that would take us
directly to them on this subject?

You might write to:

20th Century Fox TV
Box 900
Beverly Hills, CA 90213

LG

Elsig

Dec 31, 2002, 12:14:17 PM12/31/02
Good premise for an episode, Jay.

LG

ESolomonso

Dec 31, 2002, 3:44:51 PM12/31/02
> el...@aol.com (Elsig)
>Date: 12/31/2002 12:12 PM

>>Question: is there a e-mail or snail mail address for them, that would take
>us
>directly to them on this subject?
>>

>You might write to:
>
>20th Century Fox TV
>Box 900
>Beverly Hills, CA 90213

Don't be surprised when a year later, you still haven't heard back from Fox. I
wrote to them a long time ago and never received a reply. (Snail mail)

CaptJosh

Jan 1, 2003, 12:30:56 AM1/1/03
"Cory" <see...@mindspring.com> wrote in message
> On 31 Dec 2002 07:32:41 GMT, ShandaRose said the following:
> <snip... see previous post in thread...>

> > It probably would have won them an Emmy! (or is that the movies? I can
never
> > get those awards straight LOL)
>
> Emmys are TV, and Oscars are films released to movie theaters and such.
> I used to get 'em confused, too.

Then there are the Golden Globes, SAG awards, etc...
Too damn many awards shows.

CaptJosh

---

Brad Filippone

Jan 1, 2003, 1:05:30 AM1/1/03
CaptJosh (capt...@phantos.subspacelink.com) wrote:
: "Cory" <see...@mindspring.com> wrote in message

: news:MPG.187b9f3b4...@News.CIS.DFN.DE...
: > On 31 Dec 2002 07:32:41 GMT, ShandaRose said the following:
: > <snip... see previous post in thread...>
: > > It probably would have won them an Emmy! (or is that the movies? I can
: never
: > > get those awards straight LOL)
: >
: > Emmys are TV, and Oscars are films released to movie theaters and such.
: > I used to get 'em confused, too.
: >
: Then there are the Golden Globes, SAG awards, etc...
: Too damn many awards shows.

Well you can narrow them down to the Emmys and the Academy Awards
(Oscars). Plus the Grammies if you're into music. The rest are
important, but are ultimately just pretenders.

The Other Brad

Tim Randall

Jan 1, 2003, 3:22:19 AM1/1/03
Thank you elsig,
I will get on to them and see what we can get done. I do know that they
have the bloopers and the behind the tents stuff, if we can just get
them to give it up.
I know that you are going to think I am nuts but I feel honored that you
wrote back to me about this. You hear, or read it as the case might be,
that we appreciate you but we really, really do. I am glad that we have
your insight on all of this stuff.
I am watching the first disk on the second set of dvd's tonight. I am
enjoying a New Years drink and watching some of the best TV ever. Thank
you for all you have done.
Another Huge Mash Fan,
Tim

wen...@cix.compulink.co.uk

Jan 1, 2003, 11:59:09 AM1/1/03
In article <20021230122441...@mb-fo.aol.com>, el...@aol.com
(Elsig) wrote:

Yes! One of my favorites!

There were also of course many stories about GSK and women -- although
he was married for a very long time to Beatrice, for most of their
married life they pursued separate sexual careers (there's an
explanation in one of his biographies as to why; it was rather sad). So
the story goes that GSK had taken some beautiful young woman out to
dinner and had ordered the soup. Thinking it looked good, I guess, she
reached out with her spoon and took a mouthful. Well, GSK had a germ
phobia, so he promptly called the waiter (on, I guess, one of the rare
occasions the waiter responded appropriately -- GSK also had a lifelong
battle with waiters. And chairs.) over and ordered another bowl of
soup, telling her in words I can't remember that it was his soup, etc.

The woman was, naturally, somewhat miffed. The evening wears on, and
dinner is eaten. GSK escorts her home, and leans in to kiss her. "I
see you're not worried about my germs NOW." GSK: "I've been looking at
you all evening, and I've decided it's worth it."

wg

Brad

Jan 1, 2003, 5:26:59 PM1/1/03

"Brad Filippone" <al...@chebucto.ns.ca> wrote in message

The Emmy's *maybe*, but the Academy Awards? How often are there worthy
winners?

--
Brad

PAUL GADZIKOWSKI

Jan 1, 2003, 9:21:31 PM1/1/03
CaptJosh <capt...@phantos.subspacelink.com> wrote:
: Then there are the Golden Globes, SAG awards, etc...

: Too damn many awards shows.

Only if you watch them.

--
Paul Gadzikowski, scar...@iglou.com since 1995
http://members.iglou.com/scarfman

My heroes are all supporting characters.

CaptJosh

Jan 1, 2003, 11:13:18 PM1/1/03
"PAUL GADZIKOWSKI" <scar...@shell1.iglou.com> wrote in message

> CaptJosh <capt...@phantos.subspacelink.com> wrote:
> : Then there are the Golden Globes, SAG awards, etc...
> : Too damn many awards shows.
>
> Only if you watch them.

Believe me, I don't. But I get tired of all the ads for them.

Brad Filippone

Jan 2, 2003, 12:01:26 AM1/2/03
Brad (mouse...@hotmail.com) wrote:

: "Brad Filippone" <al...@chebucto.ns.ca> wrote in message

: news:auu0fa$k82$2...@News.Dal.Ca...
: > CaptJosh (capt...@phantos.subspacelink.com) wrote:
: > : "Cory" <see...@mindspring.com> wrote in message
: > : news:MPG.187b9f3b4...@News.CIS.DFN.DE...
: > : > On 31 Dec 2002 07:32:41 GMT, ShandaRose said the following:
: > : > <snip... see previous post in thread...>
: > : > > It probably would have won them an Emmy! (or is that the movies? I
: can
: > : never
: > : > > get those awards straight LOL)
: > : >
: > : > Emmys are TV, and Oscars are films released to movie theaters and
: such.
: > : > I used to get 'em confused, too.
: > : >

: > : Then there are the Golden Globes, SAG awards, etc...

: > : Too damn many awards shows.

: >
: > Well you can narrow them down to the Emmys and the Academy Awards

: > (Oscars). Plus the Grammies if you're into music. The rest are
: > important, but are ultimately just pretenders.

: The Emmy's *maybe*, but the Academy Awards? How often are there worthy
: winners?

Almost every year. Unworthy movies don't even get nominated.

The Other Brad