Lost: 10 Plot Lines That Were Not Used In The Show

MummyChunk

Jan 16, 2024, 6:58:03 AMJan 16
Lost: 10 Plot Lines That Were Not Used In The Show

Lost was a groundbreaking show that captivated millions of viewers
with its complex and mysterious storylines. However, not everything
that the writers planned or introduced made it to the screen. Some
plot lines were dropped, changed, or forgotten along the way, leaving
fans wondering what could have been. Here are 10 plot lines that were
not used in the show.

10. The Outrigger Chase

One of the most intriguing scenes in season five was the outrigger
chase, where Sawyer, Juliet, Miles, Jin, and Daniel were pursued by
unknown assailants in another boat while time traveling. The scene
ended with a gunshot hitting Juliet, but the identity of the shooters
was never revealed. The writers had planned to revisit this scene in
season six, but they ran out of time and decided to leave it as a
mystery.

9. The Sickness

The sickness was a mysterious condition that affected some of the
island's inhabitants, such as Rousseau's team, Claire, and Sayid. It
was implied that the sickness was caused by the Smoke Monster, who
could infect and manipulate people. However, the exact nature and
symptoms of the sickness were never explained, and it was largely
ignored in the final season. The writers admitted that they did not
have a clear idea of what the sickness was, and that it was more of a
metaphor for the corruption of the island.

8. Walt's Powers

Walt was one of the most intriguing characters in the show, as he
seemed to have special abilities that were connected to the island. He
could manifest things with his mind, such as a polar bear and a bird,
and he could also appear in places where he was not physically
present, such as the Swan station and Shannon's vision. However,
Walt's powers were never fully explored, and he was written out of the
show after season two due to the actor's growth spurt. The writers
later explained that Walt was a "special" person, like
Hurley, who had a connection to the island's energy.

7. The Temple

The Temple was introduced in season five as a mysterious and ancient
structure that served as a sanctuary for the Others. It was also the
place where Sayid was resurrected and infected by the sickness.
However, the Temple was quickly destroyed in season six by the Smoke
Monster, who massacred most of the Others. The Temple's history,
purpose, and secrets were never revealed, and it seemed to be a wasted
opportunity for the show's mythology.

6. The Cabin

The cabin was another mysterious location that was introduced in
season three. It was the place where Ben claimed to communicate with
Jacob, the island's protector. However, it was later revealed that the
cabin was actually occupied by the Smoke Monster, who had been
impersonating Jacob. The cabin also had some strange properties, such
as being surrounded by a ring of ash, and appearing and disappearing
in different locations. The cabin's origin, meaning, and rules were
never explained, and it was eventually burned down by Ilana in season
six.

5. The Numbers

The numbers 4, 8, 15, 16, 23, and 42 were one of the most prominent
and mysterious elements of the show. They appeared in various places
and contexts, such as the Hatch, the lottery, the radio transmission,
and the lighthouse. They also corresponded to the candidates that
Jacob had chosen to replace him as the island's protector. However,
the numbers' significance, origin, and power were never clarified, and
they seemed to be more of a coincidence than a destiny. The writers
stated that the numbers were just "numerical expressions of the
island", and that they had no greater meaning.

4. The Statue

The statue of Taweret, the Egyptian goddess of fertility, was one of
the most striking and mysterious images of the show. It was seen in
its full form in season five, when the time travelers witnessed its
construction by an ancient civilization. It was later destroyed by a
tidal wave caused by the Black Rock, leaving only its foot remaining.
The statue's relevance, symbolism, and connection to the island's
history and mysteries were never explored, and it remained as a
background element in the show.

3. The Dharma Initiative

The Dharma Initiative was one of the most important and intriguing
organizations in the show. It was a scientific project that conducted
various experiments on the island in the 1970s and 1980s, involving
electromagnetism, time travel, psychology, and zoology. The Dharma
Initiative also built several stations and facilities on the island,
and had a conflict with the Others, who eventually wiped them out in
the Purge. However, the Dharma Initiative's origin, goals, funding,
and results were never fully explained, and they seemed to have no
relevance to the island's true nature and purpose.

2. The Flash-Sideways

The flash-sideways were the main narrative device of season six,
showing an alternate timeline where the Oceanic 815 flight never
crashed on the island. The flash-sideways depicted the characters'
lives in Los Angeles, where they had different outcomes and
relationships. However, the flash-sideways were not a real timeline,
but a purgatory-like realm where the characters' souls gathered after
their deaths, before moving on to the afterlife. The flash-sideways
were a controversial and confusing concept, as they had no connection
to the island's story, and they seemed to undermine the characters'
development and choices.

1. The Source

The Source was the ultimate mystery of the show, the heart of the
island and the reason for its existence. It was a bright light that
emanated a powerful energy, which could heal, extend life, and enable
special abilities. It was also the home of the Smoke Monster, who was
created when his human form was thrown into the Source by his brother
Jacob. The Source was the main plot point of the final season, as the
Smoke Monster tried to destroy it, while Jack and the other candidates
tried to protect it. However, the Source's origin, nature, and rules
were never explained, and it was more of a vague and mystical concept
than a satisfying and logical answer.

View the attachments for this post at:
http://www.jlaforums.com/viewtopic.php?p=659096079#659096079

Robert Goodman

Jan 16, 2024, 11:22:42 AMJan 16
On Tuesday, January 16, 2024 at 6:58:03 AM UTC-5, MummyChunk wrote:

> 10. The Outrigger Chase

> The writers had planned to revisit this scene in
> season six, but they ran out of time

Any claim by the makers of the show that they ran out of time in season 6 can be easily dismissed. They had to stretch a lot in season 6 to use up time. So any clues they'd expected to give by this scene, they already did. We were supposed to figure out the time travel was fake -- a lot of acting by other characters to convince the few Manchurian "candidates".

> 9. The Sickness

We were supposed to figure out that too was fake.

> 8. Walt's Powers

Fake.

> 7. The Temple

> The Temple was introduced in season five as a mysterious and ancient
> structure

Nothing ancient about it.

> 6. The Cabin

> It was the place where Ben claimed to communicate with
> Jacob, the island's protector. However, it was later revealed that the
> cabin was actually occupied by the Smoke Monster, who had been
> impersonating Jacob.

No such thing was revealed. Jacob was a projection of Ben's imagination. Not that he thought Jacob was real, but Ben wanted others to believe it. Didn't you get it via the allusions to "The Wizard of Oz" and "Psycho"? The smoke monster couldn't impersonate anyone.

> 5. The Numbers

"815" was an allusion to lost engine 115, which you can read about. You can read about the 23 enigma in its appendix in "Illuminatus!", or see the movie "The Number 23". "42" is "the answer"; the question, as another friend of Damon Lindelof and mine, John Pachak, adduced is, "What is paradise?" See, the pips on a pair 'o' dice add up to 42. You're on your own about 4 and 16.

> 4. The Statue

Projected by the huge holograph projector, the Lighthouse. There was never anything built but the "fine foot".

> 3. The Dharma Initiative

A cover story. The Swan logo was a parody of that of TV detective show series "Department S", the swan silhouette resembling the "S", and "dharma" sounding like "Department" with a mouth full of something. I was the one who first interested Damon in "Department S".

> 2. The Flash-Sideways

> The flash-sideways
> were a controversial and confusing concept,

Intentionally confusing.

> as they had no connection
> to the island's story, and they seemed to undermine the characters'
> development and choices.

Its connection was simple: Most of its scenes occurred BEFORE the "island" adventure. And they were not in any alternate world, although some of it may have been with "alternate characters": doubles of the ones we were familiar with -- literal lookalikes the "survivors" were chosen to resemble, helped in some cases by plastic surgery.

> 1. The Source

> the Source's origin, nature, and rules
> were never explained, and it was more of a vague and mystical concept
> than a satisfying and logical answer.

Because bullshit. That's all it was meant to be.

Bob in Andover NJ