So close!

doc...@gmail.com

Nov 11, 2019, 12:22:03 PM11/11/19
I'm so close to completely cracking this case, I'm reaching out to anyone else who's come this far so we can nail down the last details together.

On one hand, "Lost" seems to have been about a struggle between Widmore's and Benry's competing scams to put up some person or persons as a supposed pipeline to a living Alvar Hanso or as witness to his last wishes.

On the other, one of them -- probably Widmore -- seems to have gone to a lot of trouble to create Sawyer as a Manchurian candidate and a false witness to Aaron's birth, while pretending to the rest of the world that Aaron was Kate's -- which in reality he was! Nobody would create a double reverse like that without strong motivation, and "Lost" supplied a lot of other clues to disputed bloodlines, as in the allusions to the Priory of Sion hoax and the literal forked line of blood Naomi seemed to have left.

But what evidence is there that Aaron is connected in such a way as to make his parentage a big stakes issue? And how does that plot relate to the competing Alvar Hanso scams?

I'll consider the possibility that this is one of those "trade" mysteries, in which two villains do something like trade murder victims or otherwise help each other so they both benefit and deflect suspicion. But I'm more attracted to the idea that these plots are joined by some detail I've yet to ferret out.

Bobbo in Andover-o

doc...@gmail.com

Nov 15, 2019, 5:29:03 PM11/15/19
> I'll consider the possibility that this is one of those "trade" mysteries, in which two villains do something like trade murder victims or otherwise help each other so they both benefit and deflect suspicion. But I'm more attracted to the idea that these plots are joined by some detail I've yet to ferret out.

But now I've just gotten a great hint that the trade hypothesis is the correct track. I just watched a YouTube analysis of "Strangers on a Train", a Hitchcock movie I haven't seen. The analysis said the movie alluded a lot to a motif of doubles, which right away connects it to "Lost". But "Lost" appears to also have referenced 3 specific bits of that movie:

1. Hitchcock having trouble getting on the train with a bass violin, like Charlie with his bass guitar;

2. someone's being questioned, responding, and then the questioner choking her to death, as we saw a few times on "Lost"; and

3. the whole "go back" motif as on "Lost", just with trains.

As if "Lost" weren't loaded enough with Hitchcockian allusions to "Psycho" and "North By Northwest", plus Alvar Hanso's name sounding similar to Alfred Hitchcock, now "Strangers on a Train". That last is about a trade of murder victims. Would "Lost" have given such a strong hint if "Lost" did not concern a trade of crimes?

I don't suppose "Lost" to have been about strangers on a plane; I think the deal was struck long before that, and on "Lost" it actually stuck.

Bobbo in Andover

MummyChunk

Feb 24, 2020, 1:59:57 PM2/24/20
Interesting theories. Thanks for
posting.

This is a response to the post seen at:
http://www.jlaforums.com/viewtopic.php?p=513528053#513528053

doc...@gmail.com

Feb 27, 2020, 8:44:28 PM2/27/20
In the meantime I've picked up the clues relating "Lost" to "Strangers on a Train", which adds evidence that this is a "trade" mystery. The allusions to "Strangers on a Train" include Charlie's difficulty getting his musical instrument onto the airplane (a la Hitchcock entering the train) and the to-do in a couple of scenes with a line of questioning leading to the answerer's being strangled to death.

That's the third Hitchcock movie I've noticed "Lost" allude to, the others being "Psycho" and "North by Northwest". Plus, the name Alvar Hanso reminds one of Alfred Hitchcock.

Bobbo in Andover

doc...@gmail.com

Feb 27, 2020, 8:45:49 PM2/27/20
Darn, I'd forgotten I already posted about this!