Updated Spoilers on OW

Zoomway

Mar 16, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/16/96

Well, I can now see why ABC did not hop on the boards here to try and
quell the disquiet the 'wedding' arc caused. A) because there is no
wedding in the arc, and B) The episode isn't quite the WAFF one might
expect. I'm reminded of what a frightened Scrooge said to the ghost of his
partner, "Speak to me, Jacob, but speak comforts to me." Marley replies,
"I have none to give." Remember when I said Dr. Unethical gets dispatched
early on? Bzzzz, wrong answer. Lois actually has a love scene with him!
Have you hurled yet?<g> L&C do get back together in a very waffy manner,
but, well, you'll have to decide if you really care at this point<g>
Nothin' says lovin' like a vibro whammy (ironic 'wham' is in the name) You
can stop speculating on the Oedipus part of the title, that refers to Bad
Brain and Herkimer Johnson's mom.

All of these spoilers come courtesy of a friend of mine from ABC. He says
that his employer (ABC) is definitely interfering with Lois and Clark. He
said don't expect the writers, cast or Singer himself to admit it, because
even though ABC is rancid butter, it's on their side of the bread, and
they know where their paychecks come from. This really isn't surprising,
and no one means to lie, but fear will do that to ethics sometimes. Dean
claiming that 3 endings to And The Answer Is were not filmed, and then
confessing on Good Morning America that three endings *were* filmed. Cast
members last year saying ABC was the stumbling block to a revelation last
season, but Singer saying ABC had nothing to do with it this season. Whom
do you believe? Well, I believe my friend since he's actually been there
for the committee bangings. If you want L&C married, you'd better write
ABC, not they'll give a darn when the ratings are good, but they may come
across if they start to slide.

Zoom (watching L&C through a glass darkly ;)

KalElFan

Mar 16, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/16/96
In article <4ie4o0$5...@newsbf02.news.aol.com>, zoo...@aol.com (Zoomway)
writes:

In light of these spoilers that have just come to us courtesy of Zoom
and her ABC source, you might want to seriously consider writing ABC.
I posted some sample wording in the "Petition: The Sequel" thread,
along with ABC's snail mail address.

I'd always assumed they would go through with the wedding in May,
and that they were just trying to drag it out with the false one in
February. But I suppose it's always possible this is a reset, and
that ABC really does think they can go on sucking and blowing
into next season or who knows when. At some point, I think they
will see mass defections that will send the series down in flames.
As a long-time fan of Superman, I'd hate to see that happen because
it will probably take many years to repair the damage and move on.

KalE...@aol.com

MissyToo

Mar 17, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/17/96
Networks are distributors, not creators, no matter what they would have us
viewers think. I also realize that quite often, they think they are also
more qualified to make story decisions for their shows than the producers
they HIRED TO DO THE CREATING!

If you aren't aware of how stupid some of these decisions can be, check
out a book called "A Martian Wouldn't Say That!" by Leonard B. Stern &
Diane L. Robison.
They compiled memos from TV execs that perfectly illustrate why network
execs should concentrate on business decisions, and leave the CREATIVE
decisions to the producers! One of my favorites is: "PLEASE avoid
anything morbid, inappropriate or detrimental to his image in the display
of the dead, gay midget lying under the toilet."

Or maybe: "Can we make the rabbi less Jewish?"

Quite honestly, on a more serious note, I used to watch "Lois & Clark"
because it was fun, but lately I've been reminded why I stopped watching
TV in the first place. If they continue to make this "Lois & Clark: The
New Adventures of the King Of Pain", then I think most of the viewers will
find something else less agonizing. It also could cause a backlash of
anger toward the entire "Superman" genre and damage the success of the
film project, not to mention the merchandising endeavors. It doesn't make
much BUSINESS sense to deliberately push the viewers emotional buttons for
ratings points, because eventually, the're too angry and resentful to
stick around for the next ratings sweeps.

Just my $.02

Missy

"The heart is wiser than the intellect"

RFellows

Mar 17, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/17/96
In article <4ie4o0$5...@newsbf02.news.aol.com>, zoo...@aol.com (Zoomway)
says:

(snip)

> and B) The episode isn't quite the WAFF one might
(snip)

>L&C do get back together in a very waffy manner,
>>
>Zoom (watching L&C through a glass darkly ;)

What does WAFF mean?

Thanks
RFellows

Chris4DC

Mar 17, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/17/96
Warm and fuzzy feeling.
W A F F

Hope this helped :)

Christopher D Blue

Mar 17, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/17/96
In article <4ige3r$r...@newsbf02.news.aol.com>,

MissyToo <miss...@aol.com> wrote:
>If you aren't aware of how stupid some of these decisions can be, check
>out a book called "A Martian Wouldn't Say That!" by Leonard B. Stern &
>Diane L. Robison.
>They compiled memos from TV execs that perfectly illustrate why network
>execs should concentrate on business decisions, and leave the CREATIVE
>decisions to the producers! One of my favorites is: "PLEASE avoid
>anything morbid, inappropriate or detrimental to his image in the display
>of the dead, gay midget lying under the toilet."
>
>Or maybe: "Can we make the rabbi less Jewish?"

And after you've finished reading that, you comic-book types might
wish to head off to your local shop and pick up some back issues of
Eclipse titles "DNAgents" and "Crossfire." Writer Mark Evanier has worked
extensively with network television, doing variety shows, sitcoms,
cartoons, and what have you. He started writing essays on the industry,
and tagging them onto the letter columns. Eventually, they cut back the
pages of story to give more room for his essays. By the time he started on
"Crossfire," the essays were printed under the banner "Show Business."
"Crossfire" actually never even had a letter column, and word was that
people were buying the book more for "Show Business" than for the stories,
though the Crossfire stories developed into some very good, very biting
satire into the entire Hollywood TV machine.
On a serious note, he devotes one essay to exactly how powerful
the letters from viewers really are in Hollywood (hint: *extremely*
powerful--capable of changing a show literally minutes before it is
taped--or after). He goes into exactly how far some people will go to
sell a TV show (would you believe faking a heart attack on a 747 in order
to get the plane to land in a city other than its destination, so the
person could get to a meeting with someone who he knew didn't want to talk
to him anyway?). And I guarantee that you will not laugh harder all month
than you will when you read the story about the elephant on the variety show.

Later,

--Blue!
Those fools on the Science Council--THEY LAUGHED AT ME! |-| | * |/'
They said I was MAD...that my theories wouldn't work! |-| |~*~~~o~|
But I'll show them--I'LL SHOW THE ENTIRE WORLD!!! |-| | O o *|