Camping With Clark

Sharon Joy

Mar 17, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/17/96
Just a note to say how much I loved Ordinary People. It's been one of my
all-time favorites since it first aired this fall. It's so full of
wonderful L&C WAFFs, great comedy-character opportunities for TH & DC, and
relationship stuff. Love those camping scenes. What a welcome bit from
the recent arc. I can't even rewatch Forget me Knot.

Not too pleased about recent spoilers. I assumed, after reading the
Singer interview somewhere (AOL, Krypton Club - I don't remember) that
they *do* get back together again and that they do get married. He seemed
to want to assure fans that everything will be all right. I still think
it will. There seem to be so many new possibilities now that Lois knows,
that they can be honest with one another.

That's it. I wanted to cheer Ordinary People on with an A+, not be
negative about the current arc. Hard to do..... Well, back to lurking....

"Let's fly first class!"
---Sharon J

Colonel X

Mar 18, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/18/96
In article <sjoy-17039...@sip-14273.public-dialups.uh.edu> sj...@uh.edu (Sharon Joy) writes:
>That's it. I wanted to cheer Ordinary People on with an A+, not be
>negative about the current arc. Hard to do..... Well, back to lurking....

Here's proof positive that people look at different things when they
watch "Lois & Clark."

Sharon remembers the WAFFs, the romance, the cuddling, the tender bits,
the honesty and openness between our heroes and gives the episode an
A+. (As is her right, absolutely. I would not think of disparaging her
in any way when I say the following:)

I remember the head of the villain, a stupid celebrity guest star,
another reliance on kryptonite, another stereotype, a third act in
which nothing happens and the plot screeched to a dead halt and of
course the whole liquid nitrogen thAYng, which I hope we don't have
to go into again. I want to bury "Ordinary People" with an F. The only
hour of TV fantasy I've ever *hated* more than it was that "Space: 1999"
seg "The Rules of Luton," which I'm even more capable of ripping
apart.

With "Lois & Clark," it is absolutely and totally impossible to please
all of the people all of the time.

On assignment in Athens, Georgia,
Colonel X.

Expect the unexpected.

Sue Tremblay

Mar 18, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/18/96
I must agree this was a great WAFF opportunity and IMHO it was
a great time for fans to get a good dose to tide us over until
the next new episode.

Sue.Trembl...@nt.com

Richard K Bethell

Mar 18, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/18/96

Sharon Joy (sj...@uh.edu) writes:
> Just a note to say how much I loved Ordinary People. It's been one of my
> all-time favorites since it first aired this fall. It's so full of
> wonderful L&C WAFFs, great comedy-character opportunities for TH & DC, and
> relationship stuff. Love those camping scenes. What a welcome bit from
> the recent arc. I can't even rewatch Forget me Knot.
>
> Not too pleased about recent spoilers. I assumed, after reading the
> Singer interview somewhere (AOL, Krypton Club - I don't remember) that
> they *do* get back together again and that they do get married. He seemed
> to want to assure fans that everything will be all right. I still think
> it will. There seem to be so many new possibilities now that Lois knows,
> that they can be honest with one another.
>
> That's it. I wanted to cheer Ordinary People on with an A+, not be
> negative about the current arc. Hard to do..... Well, back to lurking....
>
> "Let's fly first class!"
> ---Sharon J

I agree wholeheartedly with your assessment of "Ordinary People."

My favourite moments - Spencer Spencer, saying, "Oh Superman, what a way
to go!"
Clark, during their fireside chat saying that he felt "lost...found".
--
Richard Bethell * cj...@freenet.carleton.ca * rbet...@magi.com
"I'll assimilate you, * http://www.ncf.carleton.ca/~cj434

KalElFan

Mar 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/19/96
In article <18MAR96.21...@UGA.CC.UGA.EDU>, Colonel X
<GOG...@MUSIC.CC.UGA.EDU> writes:

>>That's it. I wanted to cheer Ordinary People on with an A+, not be
>>negative about the current arc. Hard to do..... Well, back to
lurking....

>Here's proof positive that people look at different things when they
>watch "Lois & Clark."
>

>[parts deleted]

>I remember the head of the villain, a stupid celebrity guest star,
>another reliance on kryptonite, another stereotype, a third act in
>which nothing happens and the plot screeched to a dead halt and of
>course the whole liquid nitrogen thAYng, which I hope we don't have

>to go into again. I want to bury "Ordinary People" with an F....

I'll second your comments and add two more, Colonel: (i) a plot that
involves headless corpses is a bit much for a show in the 8:00-9:00
Sunday timeslot that does very well in the young children demo-
graphic; and (ii) the villain's situation reminded me a little bit too
much of the Christopher Reeve tragedy -- too much for it to be made
light of. I know the writers didn't intend it that way, but I just
couldn't help thinking about it.

I wasn't a regular reader of the group back when the show originally
aired on 9/24/95 (the day before Reeve's 43rd birthday, BTW), so I
wasn't going to comment. But like you, I'm surprised at the amount
of praise *many* FoLC have heaped on this episode. It was my
least favorite of season 3 (When Irish Eyes Are Killing would
probably be a reasonably close second, followed by FMN last
week a little more distant third.) If anything, it shows how much
stock many FoLC place in Lois-Clark WAFF scenes, and the
fact they'll take them wherever they can find them. ABC and TPTB
take note, if you really are thinking about a reset or long-term
standstill in that regard.

KalE...@aol.com

Sharon Joy

Mar 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/19/96
> >Here's proof positive that people look at different things when they
> >watch "Lois & Clark."

Isn't diversity great!

> >I remember the head of the villain, a stupid celebrity guest star,
> >another reliance on kryptonite, another stereotype, a third act in
> >which nothing happens and the plot screeched to a dead halt and of
> >course the whole liquid nitrogen thAYng

My mind (and my remote) always skip over those. In fact, when I watched
it Sunday night when it aired, I was surprised at how much I usually skip
over when watching that episode! Truly selective viewing, huh!

> stock many FoLC place in Lois-Clark WAFF scenes, and the
> fact they'll take them wherever they can find them.

Absolutely! Why watch a story about headless corpses and stupid villains?

;)

--Sharon