Michael Moriarty badly beaten in unprovoked attack.

Damonald

Jan 10, 2002, 1:57:51 AM1/10/02

Wednesday, January 09, 2002

Global BC
Actor Michael Moriarty beaten outside Maple Ridge bar.

MAPLE RIDGE, B.C. - A Hollywood actor who now makes his home in Vancouver
has been badly beaten and hospitalized.

Both police and hospital officials are being tight-lipped, but a number of
sources confirm that Emmy award-winning actor Michael Moriarty was badly
beaten at about 2:45 a.m. Wednesday.

It happened outside the Wolfe Lounge at the Quality Inn Motel in Maple
Ridge.

Apparently, the 60-year-old had been drinking at the lounge with a friend
when police say three to five males attacked him.

The attack, which was unprovoked, left Moriarty on the ground unconscious.

According to one source, he was bleeding from both ears, had an injured eye,
and a broken wrist, but there is no confirmation of that.

Moriarty was transported to Ridge Meadows Hospital in Maple Ridge where a
source told BCTV News on Global Moriarty was in emergency and could not be
disturbed.

The actor most recently appeared in a Vancouver courtroom charged with
assault after allegedly slapping his common-law wife while they were out at
a Vancouver restaurant.

The charges against him were stayed on Jan. 31st.

Moriarty has been frank about his difficulties with drinking, but it isn't
known what role that may have played in the assault.

Police did arrest a suspect, but he was apparently released on an appearance
notice.

© Copyright2002 Global BC

Walt

Jan 10, 2002, 2:22:00 AM1/10/02
Damonald:

Thank you for your post. If this is the end for Moriarity, it's a truly sad
ending for a man that was brilliant as Ben Stone in the first four seasons of
"Law and Order."
Walt

E-mail me at: Free...@juno.com

Message has been deleted

Ktcloe

Jan 10, 2002, 6:20:56 AM1/10/02
That is terrible; 5 guys against a 60-yr.-old man! I understand that MM is
home, and will probably be ok.
T.

Jana Peterson

Jan 10, 2002, 12:58:30 PM1/10/02
I liked him in L & O alot....but I'd hate to think at 60 I'd be out at a
bar at 230 am in the first place. Odd, that.

MartyG5723

Jan 10, 2002, 3:24:24 PM1/10/02
It's odd, him being in a bar, because our news here in LA reported that he had
joined AA and was doing well - sober for several months. Sad to think he might
have fallen off the wagon already.
MartyG
I Will Remember You
Will You Remember Me?

Walt

Jan 10, 2002, 3:25:56 PM1/10/02
Jana:

I don't entirely agree on a 60-year old in general, however, in MM's and many
other cases like his, he probably should have been more careful than to be at a
bar that late.

Damonald

Jan 10, 2002, 9:35:11 PM1/10/02
He is doing ok and resting at home, although the details are still somewhat
sketchy from todays followups on the local news stations. A reporter was
seen in one story, knocking on Mr. Moriarty's door, but someone inside the
house threatened to call the RCMP if she and the cameraman didn't leave. He
is a excellent actor, and not just from "L & O." His career spans several
decades and covers a wide range of rolls. He must be doing something right
to have won an Emmy for his portayal of Ben Stone. He was to have sought
counselling through AA after his acquital last January in BC Provincial
court here in Vancouver over the slapping of his girlfriend in a Milestone's
restaurant on Robson street in late 2000. Let's hope he is able to bounce
back from this bad time in his life. We all fall down sometimes.
"Damonald" <damo...@lynx.net> wrote in message

nos...@thankyou.com

Jan 10, 2002, 11:57:55 PM1/10/02
I've always considered Moriarty a brilliant actor and very talented man. It's so sad that his alcoholism is not only suppressing that gift, but may also lead to a premature death....a bit more info on the recent beating, here in the Vancouver suburb of Maple Ridge BC.

Thursday , Jan 10, 2002

Maple Ridge brawl  Law & Order actor in hospital after beating outside B.C. pub

VANCOUVER (CP) - American actor Michael Moriarty, best known for his role on the hit TV series Law & Order, was in hospital Wednesday after he was beaten outside a Vancouver-area pub, a  Vancouver TV station reported.    Police looking for suspects in Moriarty beating    The station quoted sources as saying Moriarty, 60, was set upon early Wednesday in the parking lot of a Maple Ridge hotel after an evening of drinking.    The sources said three to five men attacked Moriarty and the attack was unprovoked.    Ridge Meadows Hospital in Maple Ridge would confirm only that Moriarty had been admitted.    A year ago, Moriarty appeared in Vancouver provincial court and avoided an assault conviction and criminal record by agreeing to court-ordered terms to behave himself as he continues treatment  for alcoholism.    The Crown directed a stay of proceedings on an assault charge in a slapping incident involving his common-law wife.    The court placed Moriarty on a 12-month peace bond under a $1,000 surety and ordered him to have no contact with the complainant, Margaret Brychka, when he's drinking.    His lawyer said then that Moriarty was undergoing treatment for alcohol addiction and the assault was an "unfortunate incident" involving two people who had been drinking at different  establishments that day.    Moriarty declined to talk about his treatment outside court.    It was the second time booze put Moriarty at odds with the law since he moved to Canada in 1996. He avoided charges after a bar brawl in Halifax in 1997.    Though his career has spiralled into relative obscurity, Moriarty is a highly acclaimed actor who reached the pinnacle of his career playing Ben Stone, the straight-arrow assistant district attorney on  Law & Order.    But since leaving the award-winning series in 1994 and moving to Canada, Moriarty has appeared a troubled man.    He was arrested by Halifax police in 1997 after a drunken brawl in a bar. He later apologized for his behaviour, including a racial slur aimed at a black officer, and was not charged.    He moved to Vancouver soon after.    In some Vancouver court appearances on this assault charge, Moriarty appeared unsteady on his feet, unshaven and leaning heavily on a friend.    Moriarty was born in Detroit on April 5, 1941, and attended Dartmouth College in the early 1960s, majoring in theatre. He went on to study at the London Academy of Music and Dramatic Arts as a  Fulbright Scholar.    Moriarty was critically acclaimed for his role in the 1973 film Bang The Drum Slowly and won a Golden Globe award in 1978 for his role in the TV mini-series Holocaust.    By 1990, after a long string of critical successes, Moriarty was cast as Stone, the intense, incorruptible New York prosecutor in Law & Order, which grew into a perennial hit.    He left the show in 1994, citing then-U.S. attorney general Janet Reno and her campaign against TV violence.    In Canada, he has alternately shunned and stalked publicity.    In Halifax, he attempted to found a Republican party. He has considered running for mayor of Vancouver and as an independent presidential candidate in the United States.    Moriarty has an impressive list of accolades, including two Emmy awards and a Tony in addition to his Golden Globe.    Since moving to Canada, he has been nominated for Gemini awards for his work in the critically acclaimed 1998 television series Major Crime and the series Psi Factor.    He also writes poetry and has recorded a jazz CD.

Thursday , Jan 10, 2002

Actor jumped  Police looking for suspects in Moriarty beating

MAPLE RIDGE (CKNW) - RCMP in Maple Ridge are still looking for more suspects in the beating of actor Michael Moriarty early this morning.    Law & Order actor in hospital after beating outside B.C. pub    Moriarty and a friend were jumped by three to five people outside a bar on the Lougheed Highway. The actor, a former lead on the series Law & Order, was knocked unconscious and beaten up  badly enough to require treatment in hospital.    An arrest was made on suspicion of assault but that suspect was later released. Police are asking anyone who might have witnssed the incident, or have information on it, to give them a call.

Erasmus Brown

Jan 12, 2002, 12:49:55 AM1/12/02

> He is doing ok and resting at home, although the details are still
somewhat
> sketchy from todays followups on the local news stations. A reporter was
> seen in one story, knocking on Mr. Moriarty's door, but someone inside the
> house threatened to call the RCMP if she and the cameraman didn't leave.
He
> is a excellent actor, and not just from "L & O." His career spans several
> decades and covers a wide range of rolls. He must be doing something right
> to have won an Emmy for his portayal of Ben Stone.

He didn't. I think he won for "Holocaust," the miniseries, also starring
Meryl Streep.

Ktcloe

Jan 13, 2002, 8:22:11 AM1/13/02
> I think he won for "Holocaust," the miniseries, also starring
>Meryl Streep.

That was an incredible mini-series; MM was terrific, as a detached SS officer.

Terry

Hunter

Jan 14, 2002, 1:26:08 AM1/14/02
Jana Peterson <jp...@u.washington.edu> wrote in message news:<Pine.A41.4.43.020110...@homer34.u.washington.edu>...

> I liked him in L & O alot....but I'd hate to think at 60 I'd be out at a
> bar at 230 am in the first place. Odd, that.
----
Actually I was hoping for the opposite: Assuming I am not happily
married, I hope I have enough of a social life to be able to go out on
the town at 60, instead of staring at the four walls. Just leave out
the alcoholism part.

But even if he was stark raving drunk shouting obsenities at every
passerby, there is NO excuse for beating up a 60 year old man, even if
he swung at you first! It is almost the same as fighting with a 10
year old kid. And 5 against one? Those guys were real men!! <sarcasum>

----->Hunter

Timothy John Forbes

Jan 14, 2002, 6:57:20 PM1/14/02
I saw Michael Moriarty in "Emily of New Moon," a CBC television series
that ran from 1996 to about 1999. He plays the father of the title
character, a character who dies early in the show and then appears in
flashbacks. Incidentally, Linda Thorson, who appeared on L&O on
Halloween, appeared in some episodes in 1998 (as does A&E's Nero Wolfe,
Maury Chaykin). MM was very good in the show. When I heard he was
trying to form a Republican Party in Canada, however, I had the feeling
he might try to stir up some trouble for no really valid reason. It
seemed like a repeat of his apparent feud with Janet Reno in 1994. I
live near Canada (in Rochester, NY), and know some Canadians; they ARE
different than Americans.

MM is a tremendous actor (as is his successor, Sam Waterston). But I
have to wonder if his trouble is beyond alcohol. It seems he is
malcontent with life in general, and that is a pity. I think he can
still offer his audience plenty, and I hope he can achieve some level of
contentment in his personal life, so that he can focus on his performing
career. Perhaps we might yet see some more of Ben Stone; that would be
nice. I am sorry to hear about his troubles. He does not deserve this;
no one does.

Alan Pollock

Jan 14, 2002, 8:35:15 PM1/14/02
Timothy John Forbes <tfo...@rochester.rr.com> wrote:
> I saw Michael Moriarty in "Emily of New Moon," a CBC television series
> that ran from 1996 to about 1999. He plays the father of the title
> character, a character who dies early in the show and then appears in
> flashbacks. Incidentally, Linda Thorson, who appeared on L&O on
> Halloween, appeared in some episodes in 1998 (as does A&E's Nero Wolfe,
> Maury Chaykin). MM was very good in the show. When I heard he was
> trying to form a Republican Party in Canada, however, I had the feeling
> he might try to stir up some trouble for no really valid reason. It
> seemed like a repeat of his apparent feud with Janet Reno in 1994. I
> live near Canada (in Rochester, NY), and know some Canadians; they ARE
> different than Americans.

> MM is a tremendous actor (as is his successor, Sam Waterston). But I
> have to wonder if his trouble is beyond alcohol. It seems he is
> malcontent with life in general, and that is a pity. I think he can
> still offer his audience plenty, and I hope he can achieve some level of
> contentment in his personal life, so that he can focus on his performing
> career. Perhaps we might yet see some more of Ben Stone; that would be
> nice. I am sorry to hear about his troubles. He does not deserve this;
> no one does.

How true - nobody deserves to be attacked by a bunch of drunken cowards.

As for Moriarty, I'd rather not even vaguely associate his political antics
with this recent incident. I find his political bent whacky, but then I
suspect he'd find mine the same. His political beliefs need not be seen as the
result of some mind-malady. Nex

Barry Posner

Jan 16, 2002, 7:30:50 PM1/16/02

Damonald wrote:

> court here in Vancouver over the slapping of his girlfriend in a Milestone's
> restaurant on Robson street in late 2000.

Hey, I used to eat lunch there all the time. Never saw MM there, though.

bp

Damonald

Jan 18, 2002, 8:52:41 PM1/18/02
There was a news report on one of the local staions here in Vancouver on
Thursday that played a portion of a telephone interview with MM, in which he
said he is recovering, but complained that his nose was slightly fractured
and that his shoulder was very sore. Maple Ridge RCMP have named one suspect
so far and are looking for more. Moriarty also said he is pursuing criminal
charges.

sptsg...@gmail.com

Jan 5, 2020, 5:23:05 PM1/5/20
I like Mike. Great actor. In Utah he would be welcome

the...@bigmailbox.net

Jan 6, 2020, 9:07:33 PM1/6/20
On Sunday, January 5, 2020 at 5:23:05 PM UTC-5, sptsg...@gmail.com wrote:
> I like Mike. Great actor. In Utah he would be welcome

But he wants to live in Canada. He has Canadian citizenship.