Is Harmon Rabb Thomas Magnum in disguise?

已查看 39 次
跳至第一个未读帖子

Brent McKee

未读,
2003年4月24日 05:30:332003/4/24
收件人
Random connections from someone recovering from the flu.

Well of course not -- at least not literally -- but there are
considerable similarities.

1. Harmon Rabb is named after his father -- Magnum's father's name
was Thomas Magnum (who was in turn named after his own father -- we
don't know the name of Harm's grandfather).

2. Harmon Rabb's father and grandfather were both naval officers --
Thomas Magnum's father and grandfather were both naval officers
(although Magnum's grandfather was still alive -- harm's died at
Midway).

3. Harmon Rabb's father was lost in a war (Vietnam) -- Thomas
Magnum's father was lost in a war (Korea).

4. Harmon Rabb's mother re-married to a well-to-do civilian -- Thomas
Magnum's mother re-married to a well-to-do civilian.

5. Harmon Rabb discovered a brother he never knew existed -- Thomas
Magnum discovered a daughter he never knew existed.

6. Harmon Rabb often operates as an investigator -- Thomas Magnum was
an investigator (private that is).

So did David Bellisario recycling his Magnum character as Harmon Rabb?

--
Brent McKee

To reply by email, please remove the capital letters (S and N) from
the email address

"If we cease to judge this world, we may find ourselves, very quickly,
in one which is infinitely worse."
- Margaret Atwood

"Nothing is more dangerous than a dogmatic worldview - nothing more
constraining, more blinding to innovation, more destructive of
openness to novelty. "
- Stephen Jay Gould (1941-2002)

Wedge911

未读,
2003年4月24日 11:33:332003/4/24
收件人
very interesting stuff

Wayfarer

未读,
2003年4月24日 12:41:552003/4/24
收件人
Has anyone ever noticed how many characters in his productions have issues
with their fathers? Enough it makes me wonder where that is coming from --
look at JAG:

We never hear about AJ's father AT ALL, not even fond remembrances, not a
word - and that says something.

Bud's father was an abusive alcoholic.

Mac's father was an abusive alcoholic.

Harm's father was absent (yes Bud's & Mac's were absent via alcoholism &
Harm's because he was at war, but either way they were absent)

Harriet's father seemed fine but there was something she said in the episode
where she introduces them to Bud that made me wonder -- seems like she
joined the Navy in defiance - running away from something . . .

Sturgis's father was gone a lot also because he was military (or is that an
excuse?) and Sturgis describes him as very stern, almost ridged -- don't
hear a lot of warmth there.

--
Marta
(if you email me directly you need to remove the X )

Wayfarer

未读,
2003年4月24日 13:12:452003/4/24
收件人
Oh Yeah -- forgot Coates -- does she have a sweet loving daddy? No! Hers
is like Sturgis's (only much worse) -- an overbearing, dogmatic, strict,
stern, "Man of the Clothe"!

Do any of the characters have a loving father? Congresswoman Latham was
raised by her mom and two aunts wasn't she? Culps' father was CIA and we
are given the impression he was also an absentee father. Well maybe
Lt.Manetti, but then hers was also a stern military man wasn't he?

How many episodes have dealt with son father conflict -- seems like a lot
with the son usually failing to live up to the dad or the dad is withdrawn
and cold causing problems in the son's life -- remember the episode where
Harm slugs a dad who Harm blames for his son's suicide?

Ronnie Wexler

未读,
2003年4月24日 15:13:102003/4/24
收件人
In article <ntUpa.1149$ma6.64...@newssvr30.news.prodigy.com>,
Wayfarer <Wayf...@swbell.net> wrote:

> Has anyone ever noticed how many characters in his productions have issues
> with their fathers? Enough it makes me wonder where that is coming from --
> look at JAG:
>
> We never hear about AJ's father AT ALL, not even fond remembrances, not a
> word - and that says something.
>
> Bud's father was an abusive alcoholic.
>
> Mac's father was an abusive alcoholic.
>
> Harm's father was absent (yes Bud's & Mac's were absent via alcoholism &
> Harm's because he was at war, but either way they were absent)
>
> Harriet's father seemed fine but there was something she said in the episode
> where she introduces them to Bud that made me wonder -- seems like she
> joined the Navy in defiance - running away from something . . .

Interesting observations! I thought Harriet's problem was with an
overly controlling mother, tho.

Ronnie

Ronnie Wexler

未读,
2003年4月24日 15:19:102003/4/24
收件人
Back in ancient days when I was in college, one of my English
professors structured our readings around the premise that each of us
is engaged in an ongoing struggle to differentiate ourselves from our
fathers, and it didn't matter if we were male or female.

Personally I think it's to differentiate ourselves from our PARENTS,
particularly those things we view as bad, or "not us". The struggle
only ends, if it ever does, when we realize that it's ok to incorporate
some of our parents in what we are, and to work against those things
that we view as inappropriate for ourselves, but can't necessarily just
turn off. I think Bellisario is around my age (early 50's), so this
might just be something that he is working through for himself.

Ronnie

In article <hWUpa.35$fL.28...@newssvr11.news.prodigy.com>, Wayfarer

Helen Rapozo

未读,
2003年4月24日 16:56:222003/4/24
收件人
On Thu, 24 Apr 2003, Wayfarer wrote:

> Do any of the characters have a loving father? Congresswoman Latham was
> raised by her mom and two aunts wasn't she? Culps' father was CIA and we
> are given the impression he was also an absentee father. Well maybe
> Lt.Manetti, but then hers was also a stern military man wasn't he?

I sort of remembered she mention her dad was a tobacco farmer.

Allen E Forkum

未读,
2003年4月25日 03:03:552003/4/25
收件人
I am surprised there hasn't been some type of Magnum appearance in the show.
Remember Magnum re-enlisted in the Navy in the last Magnum episode.
"Brent McKee" <bSm...@shaw.caN> wrote in message

Brent McKee

未读,
2003年4月25日 05:16:472003/4/25
收件人

"Allen E Forkum" <for...@cox.net> wrote in message

> I am surprised there hasn't been some type of Magnum appearance in
the show.
> Remember Magnum re-enlisted in the Navy in the last Magnum episode.

I don't think a Magnum appearance would be very likely for a couple of
reasons. First the fictional world. Thomas Magnum would probably be
a contemporary of A.J. or Tom Boone's but his years out of the navy
probably would have left him way behind them on the promotion curve.
It's likely he would be out of the Navy again because of this. He and
his daughter may well be back in Hawaii. On the other hand, there is
apparently a group of people who contend that Magnum is dead by the
end of the final episode and the last scenes take place in "heaven".

In the real world, there is no way that Selleck would reprise Magnum
in anything but a feature (he's stated this publicly) with all of the
main cast, and one gathers that there's some difficulty in making that
project happen. Unfortunately. (The cross-continuity implications
are immense -- if Thomas Magnum exists in the same universe as "JAG",
then so does Jessica Fletcher, and the Simon Brothers, one of whom
bears a stunning resemblance to the Marine Sergeant who was accused
attempting to kill his wife but put his faith in the padre who is up
for sainthood....)

Ray Geneburn

未读,
2003年4月25日 07:30:142003/4/25
收件人
With the difference, as I see it, that the Rabb character is about six moves
ahead of everyone else, except Mac.

"Brent McKee" <bSm...@shaw.caN> wrote in message

Ray Geneburn

未读,
2003年4月25日 07:31:422003/4/25
收件人
I don't think Bud's father is an alcoholic.

"Wayfarer" <Wayf...@swbell.net> wrote in message

Joe Davila

未读,
2003年4月25日 07:41:012003/4/25
收件人

"Allen E Forkum" <for...@cox.net> wrote in message
> I am surprised there hasn't been some type of Magnum appearance in the
show.
> Remember Magnum re-enlisted in the Navy in the last Magnum episode.

If I remember correctly, he went back in as a Seal commander. Him and AJ
could have played buddies. Wait a minute! Magnum? A Seal commander? The
hat! It was Magnum who killed Singer!

Joe
USN (RET)

Karen Chuplis

未读,
2003年4月25日 09:31:222003/4/25
收件人
in article XS8qa.65580$KE2....@fe10.atl2.webusenet.com, Ray Geneburn at
Ra...@bellsouth.net wrote on 4/25/03 6:31 AM:

> I don't think Bud's father is an alcoholic.

Well, yeah, he is. It's been the center of several episodes. He's reformed
now, but it was a real problem and Mikey was on the same road for a while.

Karen

Allen E Forkum

未读,
2003年4月25日 16:52:192003/4/25
收件人
It would not be so impossible. Magnum held the rank of Commander or Lt.
Commander and he was in counterintelligence so a long career in that area is
not improbable. Yeah I know Selleck claims to not want to appear as Magnum.
Don't forget they were trying to do a crossover in Quantum Leap where Sam
jumps into Magnum but they could just not assemble everyone at the same
time. AS for resemblances, doesn't Big Bud Roberts look a lot like Jim
Bonnick and Mack from the Navy?

"Brent McKee" <bSm...@shaw.caN> wrote in message

Robert

未读,
2003年4月25日 06:40:032003/4/25
收件人

"Brent McKee" <bSm...@shaw.caN> wrote

< (The cross-continuity implications
> are immense --

Hehehe....wasn't Lt. Robert's uncle (his father's twin brother)
killed in a car bomb meant for Magnum? He's gotta know the rest of the
family......*grin*

---

Robert

未读,
2003年4月25日 17:23:182003/4/25
收件人

"Allen E Forkum" <for...@cox.net> wrote

>AS for resemblances, doesn't Big Bud Roberts look a lot like Jim

> Bonnick and Mack from the Navy?

http://us.imdb.com/Name?MacKay,%20Jeff

Ray Geneburn

未读,
2003年4月26日 06:32:292003/4/26
收件人
My take on him, if memory serves, is that he is still a heavy drinker at
times and abused his boys (presumably to make them into men) and probably
their mother, although we never got to see her.

I've not seen Mikey take a drink.

Ray

"Karen Chuplis" <kchu...@earthlink.net> wrote in message

Karen Chuplis

未读,
2003年4月26日 07:49:322003/4/26
收件人
in article D6tqa.18905$vJ4....@fe03.atl2.webusenet.com, Ray Geneburn at
Ra...@bellsouth.net wrote on 4/26/03 5:32 AM:

> My take on him, if memory serves, is that he is still a heavy drinker at
> times and abused his boys (presumably to make them into men) and probably
> their mother, although we never got to see her.
>
> I've not seen Mikey take a drink.
>
> Ray

Hmmm. I guess I was assuming from the shiner he got in the first episode.
But I guess it was just Dad's handywork. Although I've seen him drink in
bars, not to excess. My mistake!

Karen

Ray Geneburn

未读,
2003年4月26日 10:20:002003/4/26
收件人
That's okay, Karen. I've been known to make them too. After all, that's
what makes us human.

Ray

"Karen Chuplis" <kchu...@earthlink.net> wrote in message

James

未读,
2003年4月26日 15:35:472003/4/26
收件人

I could see a crossover between the two shows happening. IIRC Thomas Magnum

re-enlisted in the Navy in the last Magnum episode.

Personally I prefer Magnum to Jag- hard to beat TC, rick, higgins etc and
that cool ferrari.

James

Please remove "NOSPAM" to reply by e-mail

---------------------------POST VIA--------------------------------
news://nntp.xusenet.com http://www.xusenet.com

LadyC

未读,
2003年4月26日 23:00:322003/4/26
收件人
L O L

"Joe Davila" <b...@not.com> wrote in message news:<0a4986c2f1cadf4220712dc202212fcf@TeraNews>...

ACP

未读,
2003年4月28日 06:03:032003/4/28
收件人
On Thu, 24 Apr 2003 09:30:33 GMT, "Brent McKee" <bSm...@shaw.caN>
wrote:
...snipping....

>So did David Bellisario recycling his Magnum character as Harmon Rabb?
>--
>Brent McKee

YES, almost. Magnum was a bit more irresponsible than the Hamm, but
otherwise, they are the same shallow, uptight, phychologically damaged
characters.

I wonder if the star of the new spinoff series will have the same
personality.

BTW -- I wonder why they didn't recycle the Higgins character.

acp
---------

ACP

未读,
2003年4月28日 06:03:092003/4/28
收件人
On Thu, 24 Apr 2003 16:41:55 GMT, "Wayfarer" <Wayf...@swbell.net>
wrote:

>Has anyone ever noticed how many characters in his productions have issues
>with their fathers? Enough it makes me wonder where that is coming from --
>look at JAG:

...snipping....

>Harriet's father seemed fine but there was something she said in the episode
>where she introduces them to Bud that made me wonder -- seems like she
>joined the Navy in defiance - running away from something . . .

Her MOTHER!!! She is a beast!
As far as bad parents on JAG go, she's the 2nd most annoying I've
seen, with Big Bud being the worst.

ACP

未读,
2003年4月28日 06:32:342003/4/28
收件人
On Thu, 24 Apr 2003 10:56:22 -1000, Helen Rapozo <hra...@lava.net>
wrote:

Yes, but she also said she was from a military family -- her
grandfather (or maybe great gfather) all the way on down to her.

acp

Ray Geneburn

未读,
2003年4月29日 07:15:232003/4/29
收件人
Neither has Rabb. :-)

"DRP535" <drp...@nospam.softhome.net> wrote in message

> On 26 Apr 2003 11:35:47 -0800, "James" <sun...@NOSPAMyahoo.ca> wrote:
>

> >I could see a crossover between the two shows happening. IIRC Thomas
Magnum
> >re-enlisted in the Navy in the last Magnum episode.
> >
> >Personally I prefer Magnum to Jag- hard to beat TC, rick, higgins etc and
> >that cool ferrari.
>

> The Ferrari was indeed very cool, but Magnum never had Catherine Bell !!
>
> It's a very tough call especially as I know for a fact that the Ferrari
> used in Magnum was only a GRP mock-up on the chassis of a much more
mundane
> GM product.

Robert

未读,
2003年4月28日 06:55:122003/4/28
收件人

"ACP" <acpe...@io.com> wrote

> BTW -- I wonder why they didn't recycle the Higgins character.

Chegwidden? Only putatively in charge, sometimes only _pretends_ to
be exasperated with Thomas/Harm, male pattern baldness *grin*,
straight-laced, stiff-necked, gruff military men on the outside, loveable
chaps on the inside. Ya know, this is kinda fun....

Magnum > Rabb
Robin > SecNav
Higgins > Chegwidden

Who else?