Desi's Second Wife

Ltb3105

May 31, 2003, 11:41:46 AM5/31/03
Does anyone know if Desi's second wife, Edith, is still alive? What does she
look like and where did they meet? You hardly read anything about them.

Laura

Throckmorton

May 31, 2003, 7:11:30 PM5/31/03

"Ltb3105" <ltb...@aol.com> wrote in message

If I weren't feeling so lazy now, I'd reach over and get my copy of "A Book"
to see. LOL.

Lani Covey

May 31, 2003, 9:48:41 PM5/31/03
In, "A Book" as I scanned it quite thoroughly tonight, on page 319 in the
Epilogue, paragraph six, I find the mention of "...my wife, Edie, ...". I see
no photo nor further discussion about her.

LC

Davy McGlawn

Jun 1, 2003, 1:36:56 AM6/1/03
Hi there! Desi's second wife, I believe they called her Edie, passed away,
if memory serves me correctly! I do not know when or too much about her,
myself, but I do recall hearing that she passed away. We heard almost
nothing of Gary Morton's passing, either! I didn't even know it till some
time afterwards! So they are all gone now. Sad, really! Such young children
they left behind, it seems! Anyway, just thought I'd leave my feedback! Have
a great one, guys! ~Davy

RJ

Jun 1, 2003, 11:18:41 PM6/1/03
ltb...@aol.com (Ltb3105) wrote in message news:<20030531114146...@mb-m13.aol.com>...

> Does anyone know if Desi's second wife, Edith, is still alive? What does she
> look like and where did they meet? You hardly read anything about them.
>
> Laura

I don't know who exactly "Edith" is, but my copy of "A Book" [Desi
must have done some really heavy soul searching before he came up with
that name!] has the following inscription:

"Dedico este libro a mi esposa cariñosa, Esther Rolle."

Uniblab

Jun 2, 2003, 7:47:52 AM6/2/03
"Ltb3105" <ltb...@aol.com> wrote in message
> Does anyone know if Desi's second wife, Edith, is still alive? What does
she
> look like and where did they meet? You hardly read anything about them.

Edie Arnaz died in 1985, a year before Desi.

Matt Kaiser

Jun 2, 2003, 10:03:46 AM6/2/03
el_p...@yahoo.com (RJ) wrote in message news:<3ac7f5e5.03060...@posting.google.com>...

> ltb...@aol.com (Ltb3105) wrote in message news:<20030531114146...@mb-m13.aol.com>...
> > Does anyone know if Desi's second wife, Edith, is still alive? What does she
> > look like and where did they meet? You hardly read anything about them.

Edith Mack Hirsch died in 1985. She was a redhead, like Lucy. While
Desi found some happiness with Edith, it didn't really stop his
gambling and drinking ways. Lucy says in her bio, "Love Lucy" that she
had known Edith for years, and was pleased that they had gotten
married. When Edith died, Lucy made extra efforts to keep in touch
with Desi, as his health was not so good at the time.

Lucy did find true happiness and stability with Gary Morton (I have a
Lucy video that ERRONIOUSLY states that she was married to GARRY
MOORE, of I've Got a Secret fame). In fact, she was married to him
longer than Desi. Desi had respect for Gary, and kidded him a lot
about Gary outlasting him with Lucy.

While Gary made occasional guest appearances on The Lucy Show, Desi
never appeared on camera again for Lucy. Lucy had asked Desi on
various occasions to be on the show, but Desi prefered just producing.

In fact, Desi didn't appear on camera again until the 70s. Most
notable of his appearances was on Saturday Night Live. Desi relished
the idea of doing live TV. The producers had to keep Desi away from
the crew, because Desi kept trying to supervise the crew as he used to
do with Desilu. They reminded him that they only hired him to host the
show and perform. According to the Saturday Night Live book, everyone
loved working with Desi. Lorne, however, was concerned about Desi's
stamina. While singing "Cuban Pete" and later "Babalu", he came to
life, displaying the same energy he had 20 years ago. Lorne could see
in close up shots that Desi's lips were turning blue and thought he
might collapse on live TV. Of course, Desi was fine.

Jim Bennie

Jun 2, 2003, 3:21:59 PM6/2/03
In <79d2d1c7.03060...@posting.google.com>, mgf...@lycos.com (Matt

Kaiser) wrote:
> In fact, Desi didn't appear on camera again until the 70s.

What years were the 'The Mothers in Law' on the air?

Jim

Rob Ray

Jun 2, 2003, 8:08:57 PM6/2/03
mgf...@lycos.com (Matt Kaiser) wrote in message
> In fact, Desi didn't appear on camera again until the 70s...

Desi played a matador, Raphael Del Gado, on several episodes of "The
Mothers-in-Law" from 1967 through 1969.

JMSinLA

Jun 2, 2003, 9:56:21 PM6/2/03
>> In fact, Desi didn't appear on camera again until the 70s.

Nope! See http://us.imdb.com/Name?Arnaz,+Desi

He did guest shots on The Virginian, Laugh-In, and other shows, in addition
to his own show, "The Mothers-in-Law".

downfu...@gmail.com

Mar 19, 2016, 5:55:46 AM3/19/16
She died in 1985. A year before Desi died.