"I Love Lucy" was Sunday Nighs’s Number 1 Scripted Show, Nearly Twice as Many Viewers as “Mad_Men” Finale

Ubiquitous

May 20, 2015, 7:25:13 AM5/20/15
Sunday night: Two reruns of “I Love Lucy” from the 1950s, colorized
(objectionable, but ok whatever) scored the highest total viewers of
all scripted shows that night.

“Lucy” had 6.4 million total viewers. That’s almost twice the very high
“Mad Men” score of 3.3 million viewers on Sunday. That’s shows with
scripts. The Billboard Music Awards had 11 million, and “60 Minutes”
had 9 million.

But of all the other shows on TV Sunday night– Dateline, The Simpsons,
Battle Creek– Lucy prevailed.

“Lucy” scored twice as many total viewers as Andy Samberg in “Brooklyn
Nine Nine.”

The two episodes of “Lucy” looked terrible, I thought. The beautiful
original black and white looked garish and Crayola like. But “Lucy” is
the Shakespeare of television comedy. A few others come close, but
Lucy, Desi, Vivian Vance and William Frawley were in a league of their
own. All their writers and directors were, too.

--
"If Barack Obama isn't careful, he will become the Neville Chamberlain
of the 21st century."

anim8rFSK

May 20, 2015, 10:09:42 AM5/20/15
In article <mjhqsj$se7$6...@dont-email.me>,
Ubiquitous <web...@polaris.net> wrote:

> Sunday night: Two reruns of “I Love Lucy” from the 1950s, colorized
> (objectionable, but ok whatever) scored the highest total viewers of
> all scripted shows that night.
>
> “Lucy” had 6.4 million total viewers. That’s almost twice the very high
> “Mad Men” score of 3.3 million viewers on Sunday. That’s shows with
> scripts. The Billboard Music Awards had 11 million, and “60 Minutes”
> had 9 million.
>
> But of all the other shows on TV Sunday night– Dateline, The Simpsons,
> Battle Creek– Lucy prevailed.
>
> “Lucy” scored twice as many total viewers as Andy Samberg in “Brooklyn
> Nine Nine.”
>
> The two episodes of “Lucy” looked terrible, I thought. The beautiful
> original black and white looked garish and Crayola like. But “Lucy” is
> the Shakespeare of television comedy. A few others come close, but
> Lucy, Desi, Vivian Vance and William Frawley were in a league of their
> own. All their writers and directors were, too.

Yeah, all these people on facebook are yelling about how great the color
looks and how it proves colorization is all wonderful and shiny and I'm
like "this looks like crap"

--
Wait - are you saying that ClodReamer was wrong, or lying?

Hunter <>

May 20, 2015, 4:09:06 PM5/20/15
On Wed, 20 May 2015 05:23:10 -0400, Ubiquitous <web...@polaris.net>
wrote:

>Sunday night: Two reruns of “I Love Lucy” from the 1950s, colorized
>(objectionable, but ok whatever) scored the highest total viewers of
>all scripted shows that night.
>
>“Lucy” had 6.4 million total viewers. That’s almost twice the very high
>“Mad Men” score of 3.3 million viewers on Sunday. That’s shows with
>scripts. The Billboard Music Awards had 11 million, and “60 Minutes”
>had 9 million.
>
>But of all the other shows on TV Sunday night– Dateline, The Simpsons,
>Battle Creek– Lucy prevailed.
>
>“Lucy” scored twice as many total viewers as Andy Samberg in “Brooklyn
>Nine Nine.”
>
>The two episodes of “Lucy” looked terrible, I thought. The beautiful
>original black and white looked garish and Crayola like. But “Lucy” is
>the Shakespeare of television comedy. A few others come close, but
>Lucy, Desi, Vivian Vance and William Frawley were in a league of their
>own. All their writers and directors were, too.
----
Those "I Love Lucy" reruns were on CBS which is in 96.37% of
households with at least one television set...:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CBS#Stations

...while "Mad Men" was a cable show on AMC which isn't in as many
households only in 81.5% of house holds with at least one TV set...:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AMC_%28TV_channel%29

...so the audience pool is different and so an unfair comparison.

------>Hunter

"No man in the wrong can stand up against
a fellow that's in the right and keeps on acomin'."

-----William J. McDonald
Captain, Texas Rangers from 1891 to 1907

Ubiquitous

May 20, 2015, 5:56:27 PM5/20/15
anim...@cox.net wrote:
> Ubiquitous <web...@polaris.net> wrote:

>> The two episodes of “Lucy” looked terrible, I thought. The beautiful
>> original black and white looked garish and Crayola like. But “Lucy” is
>> the Shakespeare of television comedy. A few others come close, but
>> Lucy, Desi, Vivian Vance and William Frawley were in a league of their
>> own. All their writers and directors were, too.
>
>Yeah, all these people on facebook are yelling about how great the color
>looks and how it proves colorization is all wonderful and shiny and I'm
>like "this looks like crap"

So is it safe to assume the still in the original article was re[presentative
of what aired?

anim8rFSK

May 20, 2015, 7:46:36 PM5/20/15
In article <n00rfk$bf9$2...@dont-email.me>,
web...@polaris.net (Ubiquitous) wrote:

> anim...@cox.net wrote:
> > Ubiquitous <web...@polaris.net> wrote:
>
> >> The two episodes of “Lucy” looked terrible, I thought. The beautiful
> >> original black and white looked garish and Crayola like. But “Lucy” is
> >> the Shakespeare of television comedy. A few others come close, but
> >> Lucy, Desi, Vivian Vance and William Frawley were in a league of their
> >> own. All their writers and directors were, too.
> >
> >Yeah, all these people on facebook are yelling about how great the color
> >looks and how it proves colorization is all wonderful and shiny and I'm
> >like "this looks like crap"
>
> So is it safe to assume the still in the original article was re[presentative
> of what aired?

yeah

Ubiquitous

May 21, 2015, 4:07:27 AM5/21/15
anim...@cox.net wrote:
> web...@polaris.net (Ubiquitous) wrote:
>> anim...@cox.net wrote:

>>> Yeah, all these people on facebook are yelling about how great the color
>> >looks and how it proves colorization is all wonderful and shiny and I'm
>> >like "this looks like crap"
>>
>> So is it safe to assume the still in the original article was
>> epresentative of what aired?
>
>yeah

<Lucy>
Ewww!