I met Kyle Secor. Very Long(delete if you aren't a fan of his. You've been warned)

BGfanSpark

Aug 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/16/98
Hi All,

First, let me start off by saying the following is an account of my trip
to Fells Point on Friday. I've only posted here a few times, so I hope you will
be gentle in your critiques of my post. If you're not a fan of Kyle's, this
might not be of any interest to you, so please go on to the next post, O.K.
Second, I am not an english teacher, nor have I ever claimed to be, so
let me apologize up front for any and all spelling errors, typos, improper use
of punctuation and grammatical errors.
Lastly, I apologize for taking up so much space but being concise was
never one of my strengths. I hope you enjoy!!!

On Friday, I decided it was time to make my pilgrimage to Fells
Point (I was tired of hearing about other peoples encounters with the cast). I
loved it there, so much so, that I'm ready to move there. Guess what? I got to
meet Kyle!!! Infact, he was the only one I did meet!!!! I still can't
believe it. I got down there about 12:30pm. I had to drive around the block a
few times before a spot openned up at the meters right in front of Jimmy's and
the Admiral T. I went in and looked around the Admiral T. then walked down the
street turned at the corner got to about where the Waterfront is and I saw
this guy talking to a woman with a dog in front of the station house. He kind
of looked like Kyle but I thought he looked too thin and too short but I kept
an eye on him anyway. Then the girl said something to him and he laughed. As
soon as I heard his laugh, I knew it was him. So I walked a little further down
the
street and crossed it. I was looking out at the water until he was about 10
feet away and I turned around and said Hi and asked if I could get his
autograph. He kind of gave me this look like why do you want my autograph
(then I could practically see the lightbulb come on in his head, like oh yeah,
I'm on a TV show) he smiled and said "sure, absolutely". He said "do you have
paper and a pen". So I pulled out the companion book, I had already put a
paperclip to where his photo was so I could find it quickly, if I had to. I
handed him the book and he was like "what is this I'm signing", he turned it
over and read the title and he said "what is this about". "I didn't know
anything about this" and he started thumbing through my book. He was with some
guy and the guy said this is the unofficial one the official one comes out
soon. I said I think it comes out in Sept. Then, Kyle said "so I take it
you're not really a fan"? "You probably never even seen the show, right"? I
said well, I've watched it maybe once or twice!!! We both laughed. He
signed my book then I asked his friend if he wouldn't mind taking a photo of
Kyle and me, he said sure and next thing I know Kyle is picking out a shot
along the water that will make a good background for my photo (Once a director
always a director!!). He picked a spot for us in front of some boat that is
docked there. I thanked him, he said "anytime" and he was on his way. Now,
I'm beside myself, I can't believe I met Kyle. I went down to Baltimore alone
so I didn't have anyone to share my joy with. So I pulled out my cell phone
and called my sister at work. I sat on the curb between to cars and told her
my story. We finished talking and I popped up between the two cars only to
find Kyle about 15 feet away, walking towards me!!! So then I remembered that
I had promised my friend in Illinois that if I got to see Kyle, Clark or
Richard I would get them to sign something for her (while I was in the Admiral
T, I bought Homicide postcard for her). So as he got a little closer I said I
hate to bug you again but....I told him of my promise to my friend and he was
like "no problem" so he asked her name and I said Paula (Karing21) and just as
Paula came out of my mouth, I realized he didn't sign my autograph to me,
personally. So I said Paula, hey wait a minute how come she gets a name and I
didn't. It just came out, I couldn't help myself. He laughed and said "that's
why I came back, you see I was so caught off guard by the book that I forgot
to ask you your name, so what is your name"? (I know he really wasn't coming
back down the street for that reason but I still think it was cute!!!) So I
said Markie and he said "Hi Markie it's nice to meet you". I said it was nice
to meet him, as well. So he said "do you want me to write your name above my
signiture"? I said, YES I DO!! So I hand him the book and the postcard and he
said "I've never seen this postcard before, where did you get this, you have
everything"!!!! So I tell him where and he starts to sign the card and he says
"so how do I go about spelling this" and I say, Paula, you don't how to spell
Paula? And he's like "no, Markie!!! How do I spell Markie". So I spell it for
him as he's looking through the book for the 2nd time and the whole time he's
looking he's going "M-A-R-K-I-E", "M-A-R-K-I-E", "M-A-R-K-I-E", "M-A-R-K-I-E",
over and over again!!! So he writes my name and looks at the photo of himself
from "Delusion" and says "that's such an old photo it doesn't even look like
me anymore, infact I'm not even sure that is me"!!!! We both laughed. We
actually were laughing most of time we were talking with each other. So that's
my story of meeting Kyle Secor. I found him to be very nice and very sweet. He
had on a tan shirt with stripes on the arms, black pants, a baseball cap,
glasses (yes, they were clear glass and yes, I looked right into his eyes as
we talked but it all went by so fast that it didn't register. I couldn't tell
you what color his eyes were if my life depended on it. I was a little
nervous.) and he was carrying a back pack. Even when I was talking to him, I
thought he didn't look that tall but I took the photos to a 1hr place when I
got home and the top of my head is level with his shoulder (I also happenned
to be wearing 5 inch platform sandals. I don't want anyone to think I'm that
tall, I'm 5'2".), so I guess he really is tall but he doesn't have an
overbearing presence. He looked really thin too. He's not a real big boned guy
either, so he comes off smaller. I think I may have to make a few more trips
to Fells Point, before the weather turns cold. I still can't believe that I
was only there for about 10 minutes before spotting him!!! If I had been 10
minutes late I would of missed him. I believe it was destiny!!! (Just
kidding). I ended up staying until about 5:30pm. I had Iced coffee in the
Daily Grind. I bought a T-shirt and had some drinks with some people who were
in the Waterfront. Then we left there and had more drinks in Koopers. I
couldn't of asked for a better trip!!! I'd love to know if Kyle is still
going M-A-R-K-I-E. I'm sure he's not but in my little world, he is!!!!
Remember the episode when Tim and Frank are talking about their first
girlfriends and Kyle kept repeating his girlfriends name and said it was like a
mantra? I wouldn't mind if wants to use M-A-R-K-I-E as his new mantra!!! That's
not too much to ask for, is it? I mean in the big picture of life with wars,
hunger, homelessness, etc. This is only a tiny speck compared to those
things!!!! Sorry, you'll have to bear with me, I think I've had about 5 hrs
sleep in the last 3 days and way too much coffee, so I'm a little delirious
right now. I also saw David Simon, he walked past me two times in two different
places but I decided not to bug him. I only had the companion book with me and
since TPTB didn't really have anything to do with this book I didn't think he
would sign his page, anyway.
Take care,

Markie,
Who believes using paragraghs is way overated!!!!

Saxwhit

Aug 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/16/98
Thanks for the play-by-play Markie! I enjoyed it.

CarolSW
"Every city is a living body." - St. Augustine

tuf...@webtv.net

Aug 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/16/98
M-A-R-K-I-E,

What a thrilling story, and well-told.

I'm envious of your encounter...except for the part about the five-inch
platforms, don't you get nosebleeds up there? I'm a Doc Marten and
Birkenstock kinda gal, myself. Oh well, whatever.

Kudos to you for being so well prepared with book, postcard, camera,
etc. Are you able to post the photograph somewhere so we can all fuel
our envy?

Maura

Karing21

Aug 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/16/98
Hey, M-a-r-k-i-e, thanks for getting me the a-u-t-o-g-r-a-p-h from K-y-l-e!

CWagg72971

Aug 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/16/98

>. Guess what? I got to
>meet Kyle!!!

M-A-R-K-I-E, You must be the luckiest woman on the planet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm
sooooooooooooo envious. Way to go!
WAGGER

CWagg72971

Aug 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/16/98
>Hey, M-a-r-k-i-e, thanks for getting me the a-u-t-o-g-r-a-p-h from K-y-l-e!

You have a very good friend in M-A-R-K-I-E.
WAGGER

MGilli4994

Aug 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/16/98
Markie, great travelcasting. And just think, you've provided us all with tips
and supplies to have on hand for the Homicon in Baltimore, Columbus Day
weekend. (hint, hint) We need to have the photos we want autographed already
paperclipped so the books open easily, troops. Now click those Bics and let's
try to live up to the example set by Markie.

Ruth Rickard

Aug 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/17/98
As previously stated by some other posters before me, I'm practically --
almost completely --
turned green with envy.... Not only is (in my opinion, anyways) Kyle the
most yummy of the cast, but for me, he has the most interesting
character development........
In short, he Rules!!!

So now I wonder..I live just outside of Richmond.....How come I never
see fit to trek on up to ol' Bawlmer????

Elizabeth
erick...@hotmail.com

Lauren Koons

Aug 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/17/98

great story......yeah, Kyle is quite thin as is mentioned by everyone
who's ever seen him in person, including me who also thinks Belzer looks
thinner on tv than in person. I have yet to read any Kyle story in which
he isn't a complete gentleman. next time I see him I'm definitely going
to make a point of saying hello and getting his autograph, and telling him
how good he was on St. Elsewhere. tre lucky lucky you!

--

--Lauren, RC Buffy--

--
"Romper, stomper, bomper, blue. I see Jimmy and Julie. Except she never
saw me. I spent years in front of that friggin' tube and she never once

CWagg72971

Aug 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/17/98
> I have yet to read any Kyle story in which
>he isn't a complete gentleman. next time I see him I'm definitely going
>to make a point of saying hello and getting his autograph, and telling him
>how good he was on St. Elsewhere.

He really was good on St. Elsewhere wasn't he? I loved that plotline and he
was wonderful in it.
WAGGER

Lewis Koppel

Aug 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/17/98

Lauren Koons wrote:

> great story......yeah, Kyle is quite thin as is mentioned by everyone
> who's ever seen him in person, including me who also thinks Belzer looks
> thinner on tv than in person.

If this is so (and from my personal experience it is) I wonder what the Big
Man looks like in person. Anyone ever seen Ned Beatty in person? I would be
interested to know.

> --
> "Romper, stomper, bomper, blue. I see Jimmy and Julie. Except she never
> saw me. I spent years in front of that friggin' tube and she never once
> saw Beau in the magic mirror. That BITCH!"
> - Beau Felton, from "A Model Citizen"

LOL!!! I remember that vividly. Another great part of that conversation was
Munch talking about how he watched King Twinklehead's Magic Birthday Hour (I
think that's what it is called) and after receiving ridicule from Kay, Beau,
and Stan he walks away in a huff, only to be plead with by Stanley to come
back to "Aww.... Twinky come back!!!"

Gma...@webtv.net

Aug 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/18/98
This ep was on BravoCanada last night and I'd somehow forgotten how
brilliant it was. I think this one's a shining example of what the show
used to be and is no longer.

There were several subplots:

Munch at the liquor serving course ('Take your elephant and get out,
Detective!)

Lewis, Bayliss, and Emma Zoole (Kay: Beau said something about you
having sex in a cofooon?)

Munch and Howard (they work so beautiflully together) with the kid who
shot his brother. It was great to see Munch's cynicism replaced by
passion, particularly in light of his response to the journalist's 'guns
for toys' program.

Pembleton on the Wilgis interrogation ("She manipulated me...over the
line")

This ep., and season 3 in general showcase the writers' "craft"; the
ability to layer and weave several seemingly unrelated threads into a
cohesive whole. Gee would probably describe it as a well-made lasagne,
each taste and texture stands alone, but is integral to the whole.

In the recent episodes, all we seem to get are Large Important Cases.
Nobody calls anyone else 'Twinkie". <sigh>

Finally, there was Beau Felton. We saw him playful "Make way for King
Twinklehead" (by the way, that bitch never said 'Maura' either),
mischievious (advising Bayliss to tell Lewis about Emma), needy with
Russert in the garage, and finally, the devastation as he walked into
his newly emptied house. I was never a big Felton fan, but to see that
big tough guy crumbling in the bathroom after that wacko took his
kids....I'm getting misty just thinking about it.

Time for a visit to the Daniel Baldwin page.

Maura

Lauren Koons

Aug 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/18/98
CWagg72971 (cwagg...@aol.com) wrote:
: > I have yet to read any Kyle story in which

what cinched it for me was the fact that at the time practically no actor
would even think to play a gay man dying of AIDS and Kyle did it with such
style and grace and such good acting that he should have won, or at least
been nominated for an Emmy for that performance. he outacts Tom Hanks in
the same role a hundred times over.

--

--Lauren, RC Buffy--

Bruce Mills

Aug 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/18/98
In article <35D8878A...@idt.net>, Lewis Koppel <lkop...@idt.net> wrote:
>> - Beau Felton, from "A Model Citizen"
>
>LOL!!! I remember that vividly. Another great part of that conversation was
>Munch talking about how he watched King Twinklehead's Magic Birthday Hour (I
>think that's what it is called) and after receiving ridicule from Kay, Beau,
>and Stan he walks away in a huff, only to be plead with by Stanley to come
>back to "Aww.... Twinky come back!!!"

This ep was shown on Bravo! last night, and what I think was probably the
best part was, after all the jokes they made at Munch's expense, and the
grief he gave Meldrick over "crunhing and munching", he goes home to an
cleaned-out house. The song they used over that was chilling!

It ain't all fun and games, boys and girls. You don't learn *that* on
Romper Room.

Bruce

"Fontana, you bastard!"
-Bruce, on A.T.H.

CWagg72971

Aug 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/19/98
>what cinched it for me was the fact that at the time practically no actor
>would even think to play a gay man dying of AIDS and Kyle did it with such
>style and grace and such good acting that he should have won, or at least
>been nominated for an Emmy for that performance. he outacts Tom Hanks

You're right, Lauren, he should have gotten an Emmy for that performance. I
liked Tom Hanks in Philadelphia, but Kyle did it first and he did it better.
WAGGER

Scruf1224

Aug 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/19/98
Very cool story, I grinned while reading the damn thing. I just went to Fells
Point 2 weeks ago. I was visiting family in Ellicott City,MD. Mom and I went
down to the Point. I took pictures of all the familiar sights, had lunch at the
Waterfront, bought a HLOTS coffee mug, and had a great day. However, shooting
for season 7 was to begin teh next day, when I would be back in Detroit =(. Oh
well, always next time =). Congrats on meeting Kyle.

Allen Wilson

Aug 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/19/98
Of all the characters on HLOTS, next to Falsone and Ballard, Beth Felton
seems to be the most hated and despised. She's called all sorts of names.
But why?

Maybe she'd had it with being married to a man who fools around. So she
takes the kids and leaves him. What's so wacko about that? Adultery is a
form of spouse abuse, in my opinion. And we're always congratulating women
who leave abusive husbands. What's so different about Beth Felton?

debbie wilson

Vampyres Incorporeal

Aug 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/19/98
In article <35DA5DE9...@access.mountain.net>, Allen Wilson <twil...@access.mountain.net> gasped with their last breath

Ummmm, that would probably be because she calls his partner fourteen
times a day, cuts up his suit in front of him, undresses in front of
him while begging him to comeback/goaway, then eventually disappears,
without a trace, with his children. Oh wait, and then shows back up
after he's shot, tells him he'll get to see his kids, changes her
mind, changes her mind again, changes her mind. . .

Beau is no knight in white, but Beth is a done-gone-daddy. . .

Poly "If it pretends to be Napoleon, it's probably crazy" RC
v...@netdirect.net

Lauren Koons

Aug 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/19/98

I just got my season three tapes back and happened to put the tape in and
rewind it to the point where Beau comes to see his kids and Beth says that
they're at her mother's. this is after she's told Beau that they would be
there for him to see. Beau had amazing control b/c I would have just
smacked her after pulling such a stupid stunt. face it, Beth Felton is
just a looney....on top of which you note she didn't show up after it was
confirmed that Beau was murdered. even Stan's ex showed up after he got
shot.

--

--Lauren, RC Buffy--

--
"Romper, stomper, bomper, blue. I see Jimmy and Julie. Except she never
saw me. I spent years in front of that friggin' tube and she never once
saw Beau in the magic mirror. That BITCH!"

Lynn

Aug 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/19/98
Allen Wilson wrote:

>[snip] What's so different about Beth Felton?

This is a joke, right?

Lynn

Gma...@webtv.net

Aug 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/19/98
Beth threw Beau out BEFORE he began the affair with Russert. As far as
we know, she didn't even know for sure that he was seeing someone else
while they were separated.

She cut up his suit, changed the locks, used her kids as weapons against
their dad, told her son she'd get him a 'new daddy', dragged Kay into
the middle of the whole thing, kept giving Beau mixed messages about
what she wanted....the list goes on. And then the bitch stayed only 5
minutes when he was in hospital and didn't come to his funeral.

The woman was clearly unbalanced. Beau doesn't win any points for
hooking up with Russert during the separation, but at least he tried to
make the marriage work in the end. As he said, "The kids are kids. The
adults need to work out the problems"....or something like that.

I suspect that all Beth needed was a course of post-partum
antidepressants. Hormones can make you a whacko.

Maura

Meghan Hicks

Aug 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/19/98
As far as ex-wives go, I'd rather see whacked-out, unbalanced, freaky-deaky
Beth than the blandly bitchy Janene -- and that ain't just because I like
Beau's type of greasy a million times more than Falsone's. At least Beth has
some flair, some personality. I don't condone anything she's done, but she's
more true-to-life and she's got more style than Janine Falsone's got in her
little pinky finger.

What's with these portrayals of ex-wives on TV? We're supposed to think a
woman who has not previously been described as an unfit mother (other than
she's dating a new guy -- getting on with her life? how dare she?!?) needs
to give her ex-husband, a detective who works alternating shifts and
often-limitless hours, sole custody of their three-year-old son? Anybody who
watched ER from the first season saw Mark Greene's wife ("Jen") get
downgraded from Ambitious Lawyer to Whore-Slut-Bitch. Let me get this
straight: if the husband is the Main Character, the wife must be Evil, not
due to any crimes she committed, but simply by virtue of the fact that she
chose to divorce Mr. Main Character?

Beth may not have acted like an adult, but neither do most real-life adults
in the midst of a divorce. The facts are, women *do* change locks, *do*
disappear with their kids and refuse to let the fathers see them, *do* slice
up suit jackets in one breath and remove their clothes in the next. They
might not be sane, they might not be mature, but they do exist.

That's why our show is (was, IMO) so good. It didn't take the cheap, easy
way out with Beth and Beau . "Well, she cheated on me so she is bad and I
must seek custody and she's even worse because I lost." Or worse: "Well, we
got divorced for an unknown reason so she is bad and even though she lets me
see him whenever I want (which is whenever I have the time) I must seek
custody and I lost so now I realize I was wrong." Bleeccchhhh!

Meghan

--
It doesn't matter what I do as long as I don't care about the results.
And that's why now, I'm getting naked.

-- Jeff, "SubUrbia"

Ehrhead

Aug 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/20/98
Quoth the ever-changing Maura:

>snip<

>Finally, there was Beau Felton. We saw him playful "Make way for King
>Twinklehead" (by the way, that bitch never said 'Maura' either)

From the oft-mentioned Laura Lippman's _Charm City_ (which I've almost
finished):

"Tess still had a soft spot for *Romper Room,* despite the fact that
the Magic Mirror never saw a Tess, or even a Theresa, in all the years
she watched." (p. 166)

Ah, to have been a Billy or Bobby or Susie...
*Sigh.*

Ehrhead
She never said *my* name, either.

Lauren Koons

Aug 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/20/98
Meghan Hicks (meh...@netservewsd.com) astutely wondered:
:
: What's with these portrayals of ex-wives on TV? We're supposed to think a

: woman who has not previously been described as an unfit mother (other than
: she's dating a new guy -- getting on with her life? how dare she?!?) needs
: to give her ex-husband, a detective who works alternating shifts and
: often-limitless hours, sole custody of their three-year-old son? Anybody who
: watched ER from the first season saw Mark Greene's wife ("Jen") get
: downgraded from Ambitious Lawyer to Whore-Slut-Bitch. Let me get this
: straight: if the husband is the Main Character, the wife must be Evil, not
: due to any crimes she committed, but simply by virtue of the fact that she
: chose to divorce Mr. Main Character?

wow. I've never thought of this before until now. and I have to say that
I agree with what you've said. but, I think this is part of the more
grand scheme of people who write for TV who don't have a clue as to how to
write for women. I do, however, give them more credit on tv than I do in
the movies. but, I'm still bugged by the fact that no matter where you
look on tv, men and women can't be friends. they always end up sleeping
together. one of the reasons I was so fond of Beau and Kay...they were
partners, they worked very close together, and yet were not paired up as
probably would have happened had the show been, I don't know, NYPD BLUE
for example. *snort*

--

--Lauren, RC Buffy--

--
Old Woman: "Night before last there was a naked man with a crossbow
running up and down W. 74th Street."

Lynn

Aug 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/20/98
(Lauren Koons) wrote:

>[snip]I think this is part of the more

>grand scheme of people who write for TV who don't have a clue as to how to
>write for women. I do, however, give them more credit on tv than I do in
>the movies. but, I'm still bugged by the fact that no matter where you
>look on tv, men and women can't be friends. they always end up sleeping
>together. one of the reasons I was so fond of Beau and Kay...they were
>partners, they worked very close together, and yet were not paired up as
>probably would have happened had the show been, I don't know, NYPD BLUE
>for example. *snort*

No kidding. It's one of the reasons I liked the X-files so well when it
started. I always thought Howard and Scully were the two most realistic
women on tv.

I remember when The Line of Fire came out, and I wondered why the two main
characters (Eastwood & Russo(?))had to have a relationship. A friend said
that was the only way the writers could get her to help him. I said, why
couldn't they just be collegues who liked and respected and trusted each
other's judgement? She just looked at me and said,, "Huh."

Wow. What a concept.

Lynn

MGilli4994

Aug 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/20/98
From: eh...@hotmail.com (Ehrhead)
Date: Wed, Aug 19, 1998 11:26 PM

Quoth the ever-changing Maura:

>snip<

Miss Frances never said my name on Ding Dong School, either. And, take it from
me, folks: it's great to go through life without finding your name on pencils
and bike license plates and refrgerator magnets. This has recently come to my
attention.
Monica, RC Mayhem

MGilli4994

Aug 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/20/98

From: lk...@is5.nyu.edu (Lauren Koons)
Date: Thu, Aug 20, 1998 8:54 AM

I heard that they have allowed a woman who can write to move to L.A. recently.
Barring the emergence in the world of tv writing of a genius like Shakespeare,
who seemed to be able to get into the heads and hearts of any male or female
character of any age, circumstance, or motivation, I suggest that TPTB consider
hiring some people who have an inside track on women. They can be identified
readily by what Pat Paulsen chose to call "The shape of their skin." (Rest in
peace, Patrick)
Monica, RC Mayhem

Gma...@webtv.net

Aug 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/20/98
Monica astutely pointed out:
<snip>

:::And, take it from me, folks: it's great to go through life without
finding your name on pencils, and bike license plates, and refrigerator
magnets.:::

Amen to that. Imagine my utter horror when I went to Ireland in 1990 and
found 'Maura' emblazoned on everything from shoelaces to keychains.

Still, it would have been nice to be 'seen' through the magic mirror.

Maura

TVFan87656

Aug 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/21/98
Gma...@webtv.net wrote:

>Lewis, Bayliss, and Emma Zoole (Kay: Beau said something about you
>having sex in a cofooon?)

That was my favorite part of the ep. Beau's reaction to Tim's confession of
coffin sex, then everyone else telling Meldrick about it, one by one. Poor
Meldrick, when Stan said Tim went out on a date with Emma, I thought he was
going to choke on his food.

>Pembleton on the Wilgis interrogation ("She manipulated me...over the
>line")

I disliked that story so much, I was just waiting for it to end. Season 6 is
mentioned as having sensationalistic cases (yet another reason why I'm not
looking forward to those reruns), but the White Glove Killer was one of the
most boring, over-lengthy, trashy cases I've seen on Homicide. And that was in
the show's "good old days" season 3. After that was over, I worried that I'd
also dislike the rest of season 3. Fortunately, I loved most of it. So I don't
think every ep was wonderful just because it was in an earlier season, but the
writing for a lot of the characters, especially Kay and Gee, was better back
then.

TVFan87656

Aug 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/21/98
Allen Wilson <twil...@access.mountain.net> wrote:

>Of all the characters on HLOTS, next to Falsone and Ballard, Beth Felton
>seems to be the most hated and despised. She's called all sorts of names.
>But why?

I didn't like Beau in the "my children" story, at least not for the first
three episodes. But Beth was even worse. I don't hate her as much as some,
because at least she wasn't on many episodes, like Brody or Falsone or Ballard,
but I'd say that she was as annoying as Wu in Wu's on First. She was one of the
characters who appear in a few episodes and irritate you so much you never want
to see them again. I felt more pity for her when she came back after Beau was
shot, but I never liked her.

I'd meant to ask about this. Does anyone else think it didn't make sense when
Beth refused to let Beau's kids come to his funeral? Beth let them come to see
him when he was shot, and even if they hadn't spoken in six months, I think his
death would have shaken her up enough to come to the funeral with their
children.

Lauren Koons

Aug 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/21/98
MGilli4994 (mgill...@aol.com) wrote:
:
: Miss Frances never said my name on Ding Dong School, either. And, take it from
: me, folks: it's great to go through life without finding your name on pencils

: and bike license plates and refrgerator magnets. This has recently come to my
: attention.

I've spent the better part of my life seeing everything emblazoned with
the names "Laura" and "Laurie." feh...only recently has the name "Lauren"
begun to appear and now I don't even care anymore. and I don't think that
woman ever saw "Lauren" in her stupid mirror. that's probably why I felt
such a connection to that quote of Beau's.

--

--Lauren, RC Buffy--

--
Logan: "Let's give this one to Profaci and give him something to do
besides the donut run."

Lewis Koppel

Aug 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/21/98

Meghan Hicks wrote:

> As far as ex-wives go, I'd rather see whacked-out, unbalanced, freaky-deaky
> Beth than the blandly bitchy Janene -- and that ain't just because I like
> Beau's type of greasy a million times more than Falsone's. At least Beth has
> some flair, some personality.

Beth did have flair and personality, but I think the best ex-wife-husband
relationship on the show so far has been Stan and his ex. And I don't only say
this because I think Stanley Bolander was the best character ever on HLOTS. It
only happened during the City that Bleeds trilogy, but I liked seeing the side
of the Big Man that he didn't show any other time. He really seemed
disappointed that he was separated from the woman that he seemed to love a lot.
There was no sadness about their respective divorces between Beth and Beau or
Calzone and Janine, but Stanley seemed to have a heartfelt sadness for how
something so precious to him could've turned out. It is so apparent if you go
to the tape in (I think it's) Dead End that he really missed her when he talked
to her about how he didn't remember some important things in history, or where
he was, or why he was there, but he remembered the first time he ever laid eyes
on her.

Not only that, but it also appeared that Marge (his ex) also regretted her
decision to have a divorce. This was more intangible, because I saw it not only
in that she stayed at his bedside for almost the whole time he was there, but
simply the way she looked at him.

Ben

schlock

Aug 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/21/98
MGilli4994 wrote:
>> Miss Frances never said my name on Ding Dong School, either. And, take it from
> me, folks: it's great to go through life without finding your name on pencils
> and bike license plates and refrgerator magnets. This has recently come to my
> attention.

Ayuh...but the end is in sight. My mother found a coffee mug with
Michaela on it the other day. Worse yet, the name Michaela is #16 on
the list of popular baby names for last year...in a completely idiotic
spelling, that is. Mikayla, indeed. Well, it's still better than
Makala, or <ack> Micheala.

I bet I just offended a bunch of you who have friends or relatives with
those names. Well, it's my name and I'll bitch about how people are
"spelling" it all I want.

schlock
--
"I've got a ferret sticking up my nose." --John Cleese
http://www.stanford.edu/~schlock

sean patrick palmer

Aug 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/21/98

For what it's worth schlock, i have a similar problem.

I hate Shawn or, God forbid, Shaun.

Nope. Unacceptable.

Sean

C. ESQUIVEL

Aug 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/21/98
Beth might as well have killed Beau. Ever had your kids taken from you
by an ex? Been there. Don`t know if a bullet could hurt more.

Repl<Chuck.E...@USA.net>

Homicide42

Aug 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/22/98
I think Beau's death would have been better if he was murdered by Beth. This
storyline is a little better but well used. Also, if she would have killed
him, and went into hiding with her kids. This would have made the story
interesting and very tragic.

Todd

Aug 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/22/98
On Fri, 21 Aug 1998 19:36:45 -0700, schlock
<sch...@leland.stanford.edu> thus spake:

>I bet I just offended a bunch of you who have friends or relatives with
>those names. Well, it's my name and I'll bitch about how people are
>"spelling" it all I want.
>
>schlock

Recently I caught the spelling of Dr. Laura's kid's name: Dwerjyk
(pronounced Derek). Tell me that kid ain't gonna be in therapy for
the next 25 years.

Todd

Todd

Aug 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/22/98
On 21 Aug 1998 05:55:30 GMT, tvfan...@aol.com (TVFan87656) thus
spake:

>I disliked that story so much, I was just waiting for it to end. Season 6 is
>mentioned as having sensationalistic cases (yet another reason why I'm not
>looking forward to those reruns), but the White Glove Killer was one of the
>most boring, over-lengthy, trashy cases I've seen on Homicide. And that was in
>the show's "good old days" season 3. After that was over, I worried that I'd
>also dislike the rest of season 3. Fortunately, I loved most of it. So I don't
>think every ep was wonderful just because it was in an earlier season, but the
>writing for a lot of the characters, especially Kay and Gee, was better back
>then.

One of the best Box scenes ever. Oh well, different storks . . .

Todd

Ae763

Aug 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/22/98
Schlock wrote

>Ayuh...but the end is in sight. My mother found a coffee mug with
>Michaela on it the other day. Worse yet, the name Michaela is #16 on
>the list of popular baby names for last year...

When I was growing up, I could never get anything with my name on it since no
one ever had the name Ashley. I absolutely hated it, especially when someone
said "actually" really fast because it sounded like they were talking to me, or
when they shortened it to Ash. All I could think of when someone called me
that was ashtray. Well, for at least the last five years, it has been one of
the five most popular names. I can't go anywhere without being inundated with
mothers calling Ashley. I know this doesn't equate to being a traumatic
experience, but I have never liked my name. As for Michaela, that is the only
way I have ever seen is spelled, and I do like it better than the alternatives.

Ashley, RC Rusty who should have started using her middle name "Lynn" years
ago.

Todd

Aug 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/22/98
On 22 Aug 1998 13:01:07 GMT, ae...@aol.com (Ae763) thus spake:

>When I was growing up, I could never get anything with my name on it since no
>one ever had the name Ashley. I absolutely hated it, especially when someone
>said "actually" really fast because it sounded like they were talking to me, or
>when they shortened it to Ash. All I could think of when someone called me
>that was ashtray. Well, for at least the last five years, it has been one of
>the five most popular names. I can't go anywhere without being inundated with
>mothers calling Ashley. I know this doesn't equate to being a traumatic
>experience, but I have never liked my name. As for Michaela, that is the only
>way I have ever seen is spelled, and I do like it better than the alternatives.

It must be just as bad for your siblings--Tyler and Brittany. You
could always change your name to Michaela.

Todd

Ae763

Aug 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/22/98
Todd wrote

>It must be just as bad for your siblings--Tyler and Brittany. You
>could always change your name to Michaela.

My former boss' 7-year old daugter is Brittany and his 5-year old son is Tyler.
Please shoot me if I ever get that cutesy.

Ashley, RC Rusty

schlock

Aug 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/22/98

Avoid "Kaitlin" too. I think every kindergarten in the country has five
of 'em, in various cutesy spellings. It's a decent name, I suppose, but
trendiness has shot its usefulness to hell.

Top ten girls' names from last year: Sarah, Emily, Caitlyn, Brianna,
Ashley, Jessica, Taylor, Megan, Hannah, Samantha.

Top ten boys' names from last year: Michael, Matthew, Nicholas, Jacob,
Christopher, Austin, Joshua, Zachary, Andrew, Brandon. (Just like
Melrose Place!)

FWIW, the lists of names are at:

http://www.babynames.com/ (their server is being slow now, but it was up
last night.)

In its previous incarnation, the list included the names along with
every spelling permutation of each, and how many kids were named each of
'em. I liked that one better...I could swear at the twenty-five or so
people who named their kid Mikala, Micheala, Micchaela (aargh!), etc...

TMGMSW

Aug 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/22/98
schlock wrote;

>Worse yet, the name Michaela is #16 on

>the list of popular baby names for last year...in a completely idiotic
>spelling, that is. Mikayla, indeed. Well, it's still better than
>Makala, or <ack> Micheala.
>

>I bet I just offended a bunch of you who have friends or relatives with
>those names. Well, it's my name and I'll bitch about how people are
>"spelling" it all I want.

I just KNEW it!! schlock, we really Do have something in common -- try to
find a mug spelled TERI and I'l give you $.11 !

Miss Francess, or Miss Nancy, or whomever, on Romper Room always saw a "Terry"
-- every now and then -- and she was always a he! Go figure. My next door
neighbor was Lisa - - Hell, she saw her every morning!

Teri
RC Nirvana

"I require three things in a man. He must be handsome, ruthless and stupid." --
Dorothy Parker (1893 -1967)

Todd

Aug 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/22/98
On Sat, 22 Aug 1998 11:37:26 -0700, schlock
<sch...@leland.stanford.edu> thus spake:

>I could swear at the twenty-five or so
>people who named their kid Mikala, Micheala, Micchaela (aargh!), etc...
>
>schlock

Try the micchaela with a little parmesan on top. It's faboo.

Todd

Todd

Aug 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/22/98
On 22 Aug 1998 19:13:05 GMT, tmg...@aol.com (TMGMSW) thus spake:

>I just KNEW it!! schlock, we really Do have something in common -- try to
>find a mug spelled TERI and I'l give you $.11 !
>
>Miss Francess, or Miss Nancy, or whomever, on Romper Room always saw a "Terry"
>-- every now and then -- and she was always a he! Go figure. My next door
>neighbor was Lisa - - Hell, she saw her every morning!

"Teri" is not at all uncommon. I knew one in elementary school.
Bitch still hasn't called me.

Todd

TMGMSW

Aug 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/22/98
Teri wrote;>>I just KNEW it!! schlock, we really Do have something in common

-- try to
>>find a mug spelled TERI and I'l give you $.11 !
>>
>>Miss Francess, or Miss Nancy, or whomever, on Romper Room always saw a
>"Terry"
>>-- every now and then -- and she was always a he! Go figure. My next
>door
>>neighbor was Lisa - - Hell, she saw her every morning!

Todd replied;

>"Teri" is not at all uncommon. I knew one in elementary school.
>Bitch still hasn't called me.

Todd , sweetness, I really have been meaning to call you.

Teri
RC Nirvana

"I require three things in a man. He must be handsome, ruthless and stupid"

- - Dorothy Parker (1893 - 1967)

Rose Marie Holt

Aug 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/22/98
In article <35DF0F...@leland.stanford.edu>,

sch...@leland.stanford.edu wrote:

> Top ten boys' names from last year: Michael, Matthew, Nicholas, Jacob,
> Christopher, Austin, Joshua, Zachary, Andrew, Brandon. (Just like
> Melrose Place!)

This torqued me because when I was 18 (a l-o-n-g time ago) I had a friend
whose last name was Zack and I thought it would be a cool unusual name for
a boy.

Sure enough, when I had a boy 15-odd years later, Zach, and Zack, even,
were very common, so...settled for a middle name, Bear, and a conventional
but not common 1st name.

The Schmidts

Aug 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/22/98

Ae763 wrote:

> Todd wrote
>
> >It must be just as bad for your siblings--Tyler and Brittany. You
> >could always change your name to Michaela.
>
> My former boss' 7-year old daugter is Brittany and his 5-year old son is Tyler.
> Please shoot me if I ever get that cutesy.
>

> Ashley, RC Rusty

The most hideous version of the name Brittany that I have seen is "Britni." Poor
thing. When she spells it for people, she might as well just say
"B-r-i-t-n-i-yesmyparentsareidiots."

Kristin
RCW
--
If, after I depart this vale, you ever remember me and have
thought to please my ghost, forgive some sinner

schlock

Aug 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/22/98
Todd wrote:
> Recently I caught the spelling of Dr. Laura's kid's name: Dwerjyk
> (pronounced Derek). Tell me that kid ain't gonna be in therapy for
> the next 25 years.

It probably explains why the kid had to do a round of Hooked On
Phonics.

Todd

Aug 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/22/98
On Sat, 22 Aug 1998 16:46:53 -0500, The Schmidts
<ssch...@accesscomm.net> thus spake:

> The most hideous version of the name Brittany that I have seen is "Britni." Poor
>thing. When she spells it for people, she might as well just say
>"B-r-i-t-n-i-yesmyparentsareidiots."
>
>Kristin
>RCW

Knew a very young, not-too-well-educated, single mom way back when who
named her kid Briona. When I said, "Bree-oh-na," she said, "That's
not how it's pronounced! It's Bree-ah-na." I told her the kid should
get business cards that say "It's Bree-ah-na," because she'll be
hearing that her whole life.

Todd

Karing21

Aug 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/23/98
As someone who always wanted a really unusual name--one where you can call
someone you haven't talked to in a while and don't have to give your last name
when they ask, "Who?"--I thought it would be fun to hear what some of our more
unusual names are on the ng (I know many of you have already tossed in your 11
cents), and find out how your unusual name has helped shape your personality.

If you don't have a different name, mention some of the stranger ones you know.
My brother's Brice (not that unusual, granted, but he NEVER has to give his
last name). I have some cousins named Torin, Travor, Trenda, and Tadson. And I
know a woman who was named Vorita (after an old oven or something--go figure!).

Karin

"Sometimes I wish I could be you, just so I can be friends with me," Angelica,
Rugrats

fro...@erols.com

Aug 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/23/98
On 23 Aug 1998 03:07:01 GMT, kari...@aol.com (Karing21) wrote:

>As someone who always wanted a really unusual name--one where you can call
>someone you haven't talked to in a while and don't have to give your last name
>when they ask, "Who?"--I thought it would be fun to hear what some of our more
>unusual names are on the ng (I know many of you have already tossed in your 11
>cents), and find out how your unusual name has helped shape your personality.

I think this is a really cool topic, Karin.

Let's see... my name is Felicia, which was relatively unusual until
every soap opera in creation got ahold of it (I'll forgive H:LotS use
of it tho!) My last name, Rockko, is only unusual because of the
spelling. Although it sounds it, it's not an Italian name -- there
are no k's in Italian. Instead, it was contrived to sound Italian by
my grandfather during the depression when, long story short, he
couldn't get work because of his skin color.

Other unusual names I've known: Vincenza, Ermalinda, Olen, Tanitra,
Ria, Kabreeb, General (whose last name is Grant. haha), Beaver,
Slade, Bopa, Pamoushad, and Mishetashan. I can't think of any more
off hand.

-Felicia, rapidly becoming more common

Mardelle

Aug 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/23/98
My daughter went to school with a charming girl, last name Lear, whose parents
had the gall to name her Shanda.

-- Mardelle, who doesn't mind her name but is sick and tired of spelling it
out

Dwayer

Aug 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/23/98
t-w...@writeme.com (Todd) wrote:

>Recently I caught the spelling of Dr. Laura's kid's name: Dwerjyk
>(pronounced Derek). Tell me that kid ain't gonna be in therapy for
>the next 25 years.
>

>Todd

I hope Dwerjyk turns out to be a big kid. He's liable to take a
beating at school just for his name.

Cheers,
Will AKA Spike RCMP
--
****
"If people don't know what you're doing,

Astra1995

Aug 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/23/98
>If you don't have a different name, mention some of the stranger ones you
>know.
>My brother's Brice (not that unusual, granted, but he NEVER has to give his
>last name). I have some cousins named Torin, Travor, Trenda, and Tadson. And
>know a woman who was named Vorita (after an old oven or something--go
>figure!).
>

>Karin

I once knew a girl named Shalina who had a brother named Bristan and a good
friend (boy) named Tristan.

I've also heard the name Azure, which I absolutely love and if I ever had a
daughter I would name.

Astra*RC Hullabaloo
whose just a boring old Kelli
who prefers her nickname

Astra1995

Aug 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/23/98
>From: mard...@aol.com (Mardelle)

I once met a girl named Candace Cain. I felt so bad for her. What are parents
thinking?

PSulli615

Aug 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/23/98
>From: kari...@aol.com (Karing21)
>Date: Sat, Aug 22, 1998 23:07 EDT

>As someone who always wanted a really unusual name--one where you can call
>someone you haven't talked to in a while and don't have to give your last
>name when they ask, "Who?"--I thought it would be fun to hear what some of our
>more unusual names are on the ng (I know many of you have already tossed in
your
>11 cents), and find out how your unusual name has helped shape your
personality.

>If you don't have a different name, mention some of the stranger ones you
>know.

Well, my name's fairly standard. (That's Patty with a "y" not and "i" or an
"ie", thankyouverymuch...) but a number of my students have had very unusual
names. Ismael, Shaoni, Bysheim, Marzunio and Zakiyy.

Todd

Aug 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/23/98
On Sun, 23 Aug 1998 15:14:18 GMT, dwa...@pcisys.net (Dwayer) thus
spake:

>I hope Dwerjyk turns out to be a big kid. He's liable to take a
>beating at school just for his name.
>
>Cheers,
>Will AKA Spike RCMP
>--

He's taking karate, just like mommy.

Todd

Todd

Aug 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/23/98
On Sun, 23 Aug 1998 12:09:26 GMT, fro...@erols.com thus spake:

>Other unusual names I've known: Vincenza, Ermalinda, Olen, Tanitra,
>Ria, Kabreeb, General (whose last name is Grant. haha), Beaver,
>Slade, Bopa, Pamoushad, and Mishetashan. I can't think of any more
>off hand.
>
>-Felicia, rapidly becoming more common

Just had an e-mail from a friend who attended his high school reunion.
He had gone to school with a girl named Kira Precter.

Todd

HulaGirl

Aug 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/23/98
I work with people named Kawika (w pronounced as a v) , Kekoa and
Puni. Maybe that's more common here , but I know they'd never have to
mention their last names to me.

JoeM

Aug 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/23/98
On 23 Aug 1998 14:42:20 GMT, mard...@aol.com (Mardelle) wrote:

>My daughter went to school with a charming girl, last name Lear, whose parents
>had the gall to name her Shanda.

No, lemme guess: their son was named King.

</me couldn't resist>

-- JoeM (RCMP Lumberjack)
Keeper of the Clue-by-Four
brickbat at hotmail dot com
--
Disclaimer: Any resemblance between the above views and those of my
employer, my terminal, or the view out my window are purely

Laura

Aug 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/23/98
JoeM wrote:

> On 23 Aug 1998 14:42:20 GMT, mard...@aol.com (Mardelle) wrote:
>
> >My daughter went to school with a charming girl, last name Lear, whose parents
> >had the gall to name her Shanda.
>
> No, lemme guess: their son was named King.
>
> </me couldn't resist>

When I was a kid, I always said that I wanted to marry a man whose last
name was Bridge. If we ever produced any kids, they'd have be named
George Washington (if a boy) or Brook Lynn (if a girl). Then I actually
met someone who named their daughter Brooklynn (guess where they were
from??) and was appalled.

Laura

Rose Marie Holt

Aug 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/23/98

> On Sun, 23 Aug 1998 15:14:18 GMT, dwa...@pcisys.net (Dwayer) thus
> spake:
>
> >I hope Dwerjyk turns out to be a big kid. He's liable to take a
> >beating at school just for his name.

> He's taking karate, just like mommy.

Todd, you talk like a fan ;'), so knowledgable.

The Schmidts

Aug 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/23/98

Dwayer wrote:

> t-w...@writeme.com (Todd) wrote:
>

> >Recently I caught the spelling of Dr. Laura's kid's name: Dwerjyk
> >(pronounced Derek). Tell me that kid ain't gonna be in therapy for
> >the next 25 years.
> >
> >Todd
>

> I hope Dwerjyk turns out to be a big kid. He's liable to take a
> beating at school just for his name.

The kid should just give up and change his name to "Deerjerk". That's
what he's going to be called anyway.

BubbazMom

Aug 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/23/98

>If you don't have a different name, mention some of the stranger ones you
>know.

My sister taught twins Lemongello and Orangello and Lesterene and Lavorice.
I am not making this up.

Cheryl

MGilli4994

Aug 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/23/98
A relation of mine once got a classlist in a New York City public school which
featured the following names: Maria Bologna, Dorothy Cheese, Precious Childe,
and J. August September. ( The J. stood for, you guessed it, July)
At a school where I worked, all of the following were called to some office or
other during one day: Susan B. Anthony, Sherlock Holmes, Montgomery Ward, Jim
Brown, John Brown, Ulysses S. Grant, and Carseata Calhoun. (This last refers to
the family custom of naming the children after the places they were born, like
Peoria, Rome, and so on.) Every single one of those kids was a nice one, by the
way, and Sherlock's son, Sherlock Holmes, jr. graduated last year, I believe.
I always opined that if there were ever a Monroe family in the town, their
daughter would be named Marilyn, and they would be astounded that people would
make any Hollywood connection.
Monica, RC Mayhem

Jenny Rose

Aug 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/24/98
I went to college with a girl with the last name O'Lone. Her father
did not want a daughter. He named her Shelby. Poor child.

Jenny Rose
__________

"I smell blood and an era of prominent madmen." - W.H. Auden

Todd

Aug 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/24/98
On Sun, 23 Aug 1998 16:45:14 -0700, rmh...@micron.net (Rose Marie
Holt) thus spake:

>Todd, you talk like a fan ;'), so knowledgable.

Unfortunately, KFI is one of the few stations to come in clearly near
the beach. Her show falls right at lunchtime, and usually it's enough
to make me want to put my foot through the dashboard. When she made a
13-year-old girl cry, I was ready to drive straight to the station and
throttle her 5'2", karate-chopping bag of bones myself.

Todd

Ann Zewen

Aug 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/24/98

BubbazMom wrote:

>My sister taught twins Lemongello and Orangello and Lesterene and Lavorice.
>I am not making this up.

My cousin taught a boy named Guy -- pronounced Gooey.

And I went to college with a woman named Merry Christmas -- no kidding!

--
Ann
"Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." _ Dennis Miller

NWCM

Aug 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/24/98
Astra1995 wrote:

> I once met a girl named Candace Cain. I felt so bad for her. What are parents
> thinking?
>
> Astra*RC Hullabaloo
> whose just a boring old Kelli
> who prefers her nickname

I used to test hearing in public schools so I saw just about every name
in Ventura County. It was fun seeing the "hot" names come in every year
with the kindergardners and there were also gepgraphical elements. If
you saw a Xochilt ("So chee") she was from Fillmore. Anyway the two
names that have stayed with me lo these many years are Adam Baum and Sky
King (Simi Valley and Ojai respectively).

Nancy
Native of Fillmore not named Xochilt

KWLAW1

Aug 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/24/98
I went to high school with a guy named "Jolly Blume." His parents should have
been shot for doing that to him.

Kathy

Dave Locke

Aug 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/24/98
KWLAW1 cast forth electrons:

> I went to high school with a guy named "Jolly Blume." His parents should have
> been shot for doing that to him.

A guy I went to high school with was named Dayton Cleveland. A couple
of grades below was a chap named Seymour Offutt. One time I hired a
temp worker named Muff Creamer. One of the members of the HMO I used
to work for was named Heidi Ho, and another was Bambi-Dawn Smith.

Parents can be cruel...

--
Dave | dave...@bigfoot.com | http://www.angelfire.com/oh/slowdjin/
Dutch, Injun, Irish, Limey, Scotch | "Proud to be a mammal"

Laura

Aug 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/24/98
Dave Locke wrote:

> One of the members of the HMO I used
> to work for was named Heidi Ho, and another was Bambi-Dawn Smith.
>
> Parents can be cruel...

Bambi-Dawn? That's not just cruel, that's downright sick.

Laura

Brenda

Aug 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/24/98
In article <199808230307...@ladder01.news.aol.com>, Karing21
<kari...@aol.com> writes

>As someone who always wanted a really unusual name--one where you can call
>someone you haven't talked to in a while and don't have to give your last name
>when they ask, "Who?"--I thought it would be fun to hear what some of our more
>unusual names are on the ng (I know many of you have already tossed in your 11
>cents), and find out how your unusual name has helped shape your personality.
>
>If you don't have a different name, mention some of the stranger ones you know.
>My brother's Brice (not that unusual, granted, but he NEVER has to give his
>last name). I have some cousins named Torin, Travor, Trenda, and Tadson. And I
>know a woman who was named Vorita (after an old oven or something--go figure!).
>

>Karin
>
>"Sometimes I wish I could be you, just so I can be friends with me," Angelica,
>Rugrats
I collect odd names from the Births columns of the Daily Telegraph and
The Times here in England. Here are some from the last few years,
surnames included:

FEMALE:
Cressida Dandelion Aliki Britannia St George de Little
Beatrice Florence Sweet-Honey-Bee Crewe Read
Hope Ann Glory Deborah Podger Paston Kannor
Albany Maisie Mandeville Bartlett
Izott Tween
Phemella Pinney
Misty Miller
Osburh Scheherazade Rigg-Widdowson

MALE:
Admiral Donovan Schofield
Oakley Satchell
Scroop Doddington Blatch
Stanhope Tiger Dorrington Bangay
Prosper Thomas Kingdom Handel Unger-Hamilton
Napoleon Scarisbrick
Harlequin Hodgson-Tuch

And two families obviously mad about Ancient Greece and Rome and Babar:

Lysander Coriolanus Theodore Barron, a brother for Spartacus, Octavius
and Achilles

The Falconer triplets, Pom, Flora and Alexander.

Two little brothers who belong to the library where I work are called
Gilbert and Philbert.
We used to have two elderly readers called Esmeralda Snodgrass and
Obadiah Clutterbuttie.
The worst name I have encountered was that of a poor little girl a few
years ago. Presumably her parents had met at a performance of "The
Mikado" as she was called Yum-Yum Norman; not a nickname, it was on her
birth certificate.

Brenda

--
Public User

Karing21

Aug 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/24/98
Brenda <bre...@rydelib.demon.co.uk> said:

>I collect odd names from the Births columns of the Daily Telegraph and
>The Times here in England. Here are some from the last few years,
>surnames included:

(lengthy list snipped)

>Two little brothers who belong to the library where I work are called
>Gilbert and Philbert.
>We used to have two elderly readers called Esmeralda Snodgrass and
>Obadiah Clutterbuttie.
>The worst name I have encountered was that of a poor little girl a few
>years ago. Presumably her parents had met at a performance of "The
>Mikado" as she was called Yum-Yum Norman; not a nickname, it was on her
>birth certificate.

And I thought Wodehouse invented peculiar names! "Obadiah Clutterbuttie" sounds
like someone Bertie Wooster might end up engaged to (without his knowing it, of
course).

A. Kimbrough

Aug 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/24/98
I always thought that my last name, Kimbrough, was unusual until I heard it
used in the show finale of "Seinfeld." However, my sister's name is
Geela....it has been misspelled and mispronounced in every way possible.

I also went to school with a guy name Cleveland Brown. Poor guy.

MGilli4994

Aug 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/24/98
Rumor has it that Charles Dickens used to grab names from the newspapers of the
day and supplement then with those found on gravestones, of which in his time,
London was nicely full. I believe some of his fans are still using his methods
over there. It is fun to use telephone books to make odd combinations.
Sometimes they are naturally occurring, though. My sister found once, to her
unutterable delight, in the Washington DC phone book a Bopeep Jackson.
Monica, RC Mayhem

Rob Williams

Aug 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/24/98
My wife went to school with a girl named Candy Cane. This is true. She
was, by the way, the biggest Candy Cane you ever saw...close to 6 feet
tall.
Rob

Dave Locke

Aug 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/25/98
Rob Williams cast forth electrons:

> My wife went to school with a girl named Candy Cane. This is true. She
> was, by the way, the biggest Candy Cane you ever saw...close to 6 feet
> tall.

My ex's maiden name was Claus. One of her brothers married a woman
named Sandy. Yes, they got a lot of calls at Xmas.

Todd

Aug 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/25/98
On Mon, 24 Aug 1998 18:32:08 +0100, Brenda
<bre...@rydelib.demon.co.uk> thus spake:

>We used to have two elderly readers called Esmeralda Snodgrass and
>Obadiah Clutterbuttie.

Sounds like something out of "Lord of the Rings."

>The worst name I have encountered was that of a poor little girl a few
>years ago. Presumably her parents had met at a performance of "The
>Mikado" as she was called Yum-Yum Norman; not a nickname, it was on her
>birth certificate.
>

>Brenda

Not as bad as the guy in England whose name is Frankenstein Pitt.

Todd

Ehrhead

Aug 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/25/98
Quoth Cheryl:

>My sister taught twins Lemongello and Orangello [snip]

>I am not making this up.

You know, I always thought that was an urban legend, right up there
with the parents who thought the hospital had named their daughter
Female (pronounced "fee-MAAH-lee").

Ehrhead

Ehrhead

Aug 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/25/98
Quoth Monica:

> It is fun to use telephone books to make odd combinations.

Highway exit signs that look like they could be names are fun, too. My
current favorite is on I-75 in Ohio: Anna Minster (two separate towns,
of course).

My list of friends and acquaintances with interesting names isn't
terribly long -- Kina, Velvet, Sharlette, Altovise, Reyna (pronounced
like Renée), Orza -- of course, this list doesn't include those with
names evocative of their heritage (Dorotka, Ewa, Mercedes, Nuala,
etc.)

Ehrhead
Who once dumped a guy flat for calling her MegAN (no offense, Meghan).

Allen Wilson

Aug 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/25/98
My middle name is Alanna, which I've always loved. Never was a Debra Sue or Debra
Ann or Debra Lou. Debra (never Deborah) Alanna. Coupled with my maiden name,
Minor, this gave me the initials DAM. Loved it.

I work with a woman whose name is Isolde (pronounced ee-sol-day). And yes, she has
to spell it all the time.

Debbie Wilson

Laura

Aug 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/25/98
Dave Locke wrote:

> Rob Williams cast forth electrons:
>
> > My wife went to school with a girl named Candy Cane. This is true. She
> > was, by the way, the biggest Candy Cane you ever saw...close to 6 feet
> > tall.
>
> My ex's maiden name was Claus. One of her brothers married a woman
> named Sandy. Yes, they got a lot of calls at Xmas.

I had a college professor by the name of Stu Beach. You'll never guess
what his wife's name was? That's right...Sandy, Sandy Beach.

Laura

Laura

Aug 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/25/98
Ehrhead wrote:

> Highway exit signs that look like they could be names are fun, too. My
> current favorite is on I-75 in Ohio: Anna Minster (two separate towns,
> of course).

And here in New Jersey on the Garden State Parkway, we have Clark
Westfield. Two seperate towns, but they go together to make a great
name.

Laura

Dwayer

Aug 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/25/98
kwl...@aol.com (KWLAW1) wrote:

>I went to high school with a guy named "Jolly Blume." His parents should have
>been shot for doing that to him.
>

>Kathy

At the bank where I used to work, we had fun with our customers'
names. One poor guy was named Jimmy E. Carter, having been born in
1976. He said his parents were hard core democrats.

I thought that was bad until I met another customer, a girl whose
first name was "Reagan" and, yes she was born just after Ol' Ronny's
inauguration.

I'm thankful my parents weren't creative with my name. . .

Cheers,
Will AKA Spike RCMP
--
****
"If people don't know what you're doing,
They don't know what you're doing wrong."
--Sir Arnold Robinson, _Yes, Minister_

Dwayer

Aug 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/25/98
bubb...@aol.com (BubbazMom) wrote:

>>If you don't have a different name, mention some of the stranger ones you
>>know.
>

>My sister taught twins Lemongello and Orangello and Lesterene and Lavorice.

>I am not making this up.
>

>Cheryl

A teacher friend of mine once taught a little girl who was named
"Female Jones." They pronounced it fe-MAH-lay.

Poor kid. To be cursed with such dumb parents.
Cheers.

Lauren Koons

Aug 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/25/98
A. Kimbrough (kimb...@ameritech.net) wrote:
: I always thought that my last name, Kimbrough, was unusual until I heard it

: used in the show finale of "Seinfeld." However, my sister's name is
: Geela....it has been misspelled and mispronounced in every way possible.

Charles Kimbrough, who was on Murphy Brown, also shares your last name.
he's the guy who played Jim Dial. and, he's also quite a singer as I love
to hear him sing on the Original Cast Album and CD of "Company." I'm
hoping that he'll pop back on B'way in a new musical so I can hear him
sing some more.

--

--Lauren, RC Buffy--

--
Logan: "Let's give this one to Profaci and give him something to do
besides the donut run."
--Law & Order, "American Dream"

Laura

Aug 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/25/98
Dwayer wrote:

> At the bank where I used to work, we had fun with our customers'
> names. One poor guy was named Jimmy E. Carter, having been born in
> 1976. He said his parents were hard core democrats.
>
> I thought that was bad until I met another customer, a girl whose
> first name was "Reagan" and, yes she was born just after Ol' Ronny's
> inauguration.
>
> I'm thankful my parents weren't creative with my name. . .

Same here. My ex-brother-in-law named his third soe Bjorn Krister. I
snidely remarked that they should just have named him "throw the volley
ball at my head". Names like that don't go over too well where they live
(which is in a town akin to a trailer park). Their first born has to go
through life with the unfortunate name of Alf. How sad.

Laura

Meghan Hicks

Aug 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/25/98
Ehrhead wrote:

> Quoth Monica:
>
> > It is fun to use telephone books to make odd combinations.

> <snip>

> My list of friends and acquaintances with interesting names isn't
> terribly long -- Kina, Velvet, Sharlette, Altovise, Reyna (pronounced
> like Renée), Orza -- of course, this list doesn't include those with
> names evocative of their heritage (Dorotka, Ewa, Mercedes, Nuala,
> etc.)
>
> Ehrhead
> Who once dumped a guy flat for calling her MegAN (no offense, Meghan).

Hey, none taken. From my memoirs, "The Oldest Living Woman Named Meghan
Tells All":

"I have always struggled with how my name should officially be pronounced:
is it 'May-gen' rhyming with 'pagan'? Or 'Meg-in,' rhyming with 'beggin'?
Confusion started early; my parents call me 'Meg', or in cases of extreme
affection, 'Missy Meg' or 'Princess Meggy-Sue-Sue of the Yukon.' My Aunt
Ruby had a penchant for calling me 'Maggin,' a tradition that has been
picked up by Poly RC's son. A substitute teacher once turned my face a
blazing shade of red by calling me 'Mee-gin' in front of my entire seventh
grade class with a voice full of such puzzlement I knew she thought she'd
look up to see an exotic headdress in the third seat from the back. Due to
the spelling of my name, a few of my friends thought it was cute to call
me 'Meg-HAN,' the 'han' pronounced like Han Solo. I've never in
seriousness been called 'Meg-ANN,' despite the spelling of my name."

Please rest assured that the extra "H" in my name doesn't change the
pronunciated from the general and widely-accepted "Megan," such as in
Megan Russert. It just makes it more exotic, a little more Gaelic, and
much easier for unobservant people to misspell my name.

Meghan

--
The strongest bulwark of authority is uniformity;
the least divergence from it is the greatest crime.

JoAnne Schmitz

Aug 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/25/98
On Sat, 22 Aug 1998 23:49:37 GMT, t-w...@writeme.com (Todd) wrote:

>On Sat, 22 Aug 1998 16:46:53 -0500, The Schmidts
><ssch...@accesscomm.net> thus spake:
>
>> The most hideous version of the name Brittany that I have seen is "Britni." Poor
>>thing. When she spells it for people, she might as well just say
>>"B-r-i-t-n-i-yesmyparentsareidiots."

Britny Fox was a singer or soft-porn star, wasn't she?

>>Kristin
>>RCW
>
>Knew a very young, not-too-well-educated, single mom way back when who
>named her kid Briona. When I said, "Bree-oh-na," she said, "That's
>not how it's pronounced! It's Bree-ah-na." I told her the kid should
>get business cards that say "It's Bree-ah-na," because she'll be
>hearing that her whole life.

I used to work with a woman whose name was Debbie. But it wasn't spelled that
way. It was spelled "Debe."

That's right, it looked like it should rhyme with Glebe or Plebe or Dweeb. Or
sound like the first words out of the mouth of someone who just bought Hooked on
Phonics. Deh Beh.

JoAnne, Nitpick Riot Chick

MGilli4994

Aug 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/25/98
I graduated from high school with a girl named Cindy Jones. She dated a guy
named Rick Rella. I wasn't invited to the wedding, but hey...
Monica, RC Mayhem

MGilli4994

Aug 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/25/98
From: Laura <astro...@home.com>
Date: Tue, Aug 25, 1998 9:04 AM

per:
Laura
It gets worse with me. In long and boring meetings, I tend to play with names
as a form of literary daydreaming. Once I made a list of Superintendents of
Schools in a certain state and pairing them with the names of their
districts,then invented a whole back story for each. It took about four hours,
which was about one hour less than these Supers took to talk about their
myriad, and largely to me invisible, accomplishments. So you get a name like
Cabot DiAngelo, which I interpreted to mean that the rebellious daughter of a
haughty Boston family had run off with her Italian dancing master.
Man, we really are off topic, aren't we? The season cannot start too soon, for
good reasons and this one, too.
Monica, RC Mayhem
notions (now you see why) and tactical nukes (that, you don't want to see why;
trust me)

Dave Locke

Aug 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/25/98
MGilli4994 cast forth electrons:

> I graduated from high school with a girl named Cindy Jones. She dated a guy
> named Rick Rella. I wasn't invited to the wedding, but hey...

And he called her "Pumkin'"?

Dave Locke

Aug 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/25/98
Laura cast forth electrons:

> Ehrhead wrote:
>
> > Highway exit signs that look like they could be names are fun, too. My
> > current favorite is on I-75 in Ohio: Anna Minster (two separate towns,
> > of course).
>
> And here in New Jersey on the Garden State Parkway, we have Clark
> Westfield. Two seperate towns, but they go together to make a great
> name.

My favorite highway sign is one in Califunny, and I have a photo of
it. It reads:

New Cuyama
Population 562
Ft. above sea level 2150
Established 1951
____
Total 4663

Bruce Mills

Aug 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/25/98
In article <35e22e7...@news.mindspring.com>,

Todd <t-w...@writeme.com> wrote:
>On Mon, 24 Aug 1998 18:32:08 +0100, Brenda
><bre...@rydelib.demon.co.uk> thus spake:
>
>>We used to have two elderly readers called Esmeralda Snodgrass and
>>Obadiah Clutterbuttie.
>
>Sounds like something out of "Lord of the Rings."

More like "Bored of the Rings"...

Bruce

Novack

Aug 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/25/98

>>>If you don't have a different name, mention some of the stranger ones you
>>>know.

I once went to school with a girl named Shirley Whirly, and she was the
school slut, go figure!

Gonigal

Aug 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/25/98
In article <6rv7lk$b...@netaxs.com>, "Novack" <isi...@hotmail.com> writes:

>I once went to school with a girl named Shirley Whirly, and she was the
>school slut, go figure!

What a coincidence, my wife Shirley's maiden name was Whirly, and I...,
HEY!!!!

(Seriously, you opened yourself up to a major lawsuit with that post.)

-D.G.

Gma...@webtv.net

Aug 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/25/98
The woman who runs the library for the Ministry where I work is a frail,
silver-haired gentlwoman with the unlikely appellation Vicki Tingle.

Maura
don't pronounce it Moy-ra

Fraught with Anxiety

Aug 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/25/98
Speaking of unusual names...

I work in a photo lab and now know that, if anyone's interested,
Luther Mahoney is alive and well and sending film for development in
New Jersey. That one, needless to say, produced a giggle as i was
filling out the logbook.

-Felicia

It is loading more messages.