SyndiCon 1997: A Different View.

MJordan104

May 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/14/97

A Con with a View by Monica Jordan
Mjord...@AOL.COM

On my way home on the plane from Baltimore, I wondered what I would write
about this weekend. There are a lot of things I can complain about, but
there are many more I can applaud. SyndiCon is the third Highlander
Convention I've been to. I went to SyndiCon last May, and The Gathering
III in Denver last October. And now this one. All three have been a huge
learning experience for me.

The BEST part of this particular weekend was meeting face to face with the
people from this awesome newsgroup. And to those people what I want to do
first, is apologize. Being there were challenges during the Con (I didn't
get a single autograph due to the horrendous scheduling/organization of
the Autograph Sessions) that it was enough to make me lose my salvation.
I had to retire to my room and pray. :-) I'd let the situation control my
attitude instead of letting my attitude control the situation. I don't
believe in whining, but boy did I whine some that weekend. <g> I
apologize.

I also want to apologize for leaving sooner than I'd intended. Last year
I was able to drive to SyndiCon, but since I'd move to Phoenix, I had to
fly out there, and I spent Sunday and Monday with my family in Virginia.
I missed the *very* thing I went there for: getting to know my fellow
newsgroup brothers and sisters. I have never met a nicer group. The only
one I'd met before the weekend, was Beej (when I stopped there in my drive
across our nation). I knew she'd be sweeter than the best cheesecake in
town <g> but the others were just as sweet. I met a few people I chat
with frequently on AOL: Maria (RoseBudSal) and Christine (Cgolytlee). My
wonderful roommates: BJ "Beej" Nelson and Debbie "The Debster" Schuman.
Debbie brought me a gift! That was so sweet of her but I didn't bring her
anything. :-( And she kept me calm when I'd lost myself. (I'm still
surprised I acted that way). I met Trudy (HoltRam) who made those
wonderful A.T.H. buttons (I met so many more people that way). I also
met, Cyndi Breault and her husband; Matt "Dayspring" Noel (who won for his
Ramirez costume) (loved the short film, Matt!). Kathy Morey, who was so
sweet. Met Jette (Bosslady) Goldie (love her beautiful voice). Linda
Hansen and her beautiful southern charm. And I finally met Vicki Farmer
and her friend Erin. Plus there were many others I met because of the
identifying button of the newsgroup. I know I've forgotten others. I
told myself to write names down but I didn't listen. I apologize again
for the names I omitted.

I could go into the party Beej held in the room (packed, packed, packed)
and I could talk about that sensuous Sheena Easton Music video with a very
young and sexy Adrian Paul, and I could talk about all the wonderful
things that happened at the Con, but I won't. <g> I'm sure others will
cover all that. If not, the play-by-play as I remember, will be on my web
site soon.

Anyway, as I was saying, before I got sidetracked, how beautiful everyone
from the newsgroup were. I was SO impressed. This is when you realize
that the media only concentrates or publishes the negative about the
Internet. Face it. In life, there is always a negative side to
everything, but you have a choice whether you choose to magnify the
positive or magnify the negative. (That is so true. When I began to
concentrate on the negative of the weekend, I was ready to go home! But
after calming down and thinking about my new friends, I realized that
there were plenty more positives than negatives.)

Everyone taking care of everyone and Beej making sure that everyone was
settled. (She was kind off like the "mama" of the group. I'll tell
you... I was so worried about meeting every one and wondering if they'd
like me once they met me in person, but I had nothing to worry about.
They welcomed me with open arms and hugs and kisses. Man, that was cool.
I'm not the huggy-kissy type, but with such nice folk, you can't help it.
(I esp. got a lot of hugs as a comfort of not getting one single
autograph. I did at the other two and I just couldn't comprehend how I
didn't get any this time. (shakes head) Lack of organization will do
that for you. Even Adrian said from stage that more organization was
needed.) But I did take beautiful pictures of all the five cast members.

It was so much fun to see Adrian, Peter, Richie, Elizabeth and Jim on
stage at the same time. Adrian had his own Q&A but he came onstage while
the four were doing their Q&A. I didn't recognize Adrian at first (being
the first time seeing him up close). He looks fantastic with the short
hair and goatee he wore. Beej kept insisting she'd shave it off, but even
she said he looked darn fine with it!! <g> My picts of him came out
great. Wish I had a scanner so I could put it on the web site. I'll work
on it.

Well, this is all I'll post for now. I'll sit down later in the week and
write out what I remember of the Con and post it on my web site. I know
many others will post their thoughts to the newsgroup and mine would just
be a lot of repeating. Oh, but I have to share this one bit of the
weekend. Being this is my third Con in the past year and half, and seeing
Stan Kirsch at all of them, I must say he's certainly relaxed a lot! He
was a lot more raunchier than usual. Even called himself "The Richster."
I loved that. :-) This story will probably be shared by many, so why not
one more? <g> It was during the Auction, and Stan and Adrian were on
stage (they usually do this bit together. Adrian suggested they should go
on the road and call it the Stan and Adrian show.) Stan was auctioning
off some item (which I can't remember) and he suggested that if they bid
a certain amount, he'd answer the question "boxers of briefs." Well, he
got the bidding he wanted and said that he wore boxers (even showed them
to the audience) and that Adrian wore briefs (to which Adrian asked "how
would you know" while at the same time looking down his pants to see what
he wore) :-) Stan continued on and managed to do something I'd never seen
him do while both did the auction: leave Adrian speechless. Stan went on
to say that while he was "hanging loose" (double entendre intended because
he wears boxers) Adrian was "backed up tight." The shocked look on
Adrian's face was priceless. I couldn't believe it myself. And that was
just *one* of Stan's many double entendres of the evening. But it was my
favorite.

My second favorite is the "I'm deaf, not stupid" line started by Adrian
during his Q&A. Stan caught on to it and used it as much as he could. He
was auction off something else, while Adrian sat down at the table. Stan
quipped to someone in the audience who must have been talking to him that
"He's the deaf one" pointing towards Adrian. The whole room turned to
look at Adrian and I wasn't disappointed when he caught on by responding
"And he's just stupid." Adrian sat down and thanked Stan for giving him
such an easy one. I loved it, as the crowd did too. They bantered a lot
between each other, each trying to up the other one, but it was nice when
Stan got the audience to sing Adrian happy birthday, then they hugged
after ward. Stan said that that got him off from getting a present, but
Adrian said "No it doesn't." I tell you... it's great to see the
camaraderie and the bond between those two, and especially between the
whole cast. My picts of all five of them show a group who is comfortable
with each other and aren't above teasing one another. A friend of mine
used to ask me why I teased her so much. I told her it was because I
liked her that I teased her. If people tease you is because they know you
trust them and know they are only kidding and it's all in good clean fun.
No outright maliciousness intended, just good clean fun. That's what I
saw on stage between all the actors.

That was longer than I intended but I had to share it. There's more to
come later. I just wanted to share what a wonderful time I had because of
meeting other A.T.H. members. The Gathering IV is coming up in the spring
of 1998 and I wouldn't mind going in order to get together with everyone
again, and this time I won't leave when it's getting good! <g> I also
plan on writing a letter of solutions for all the problems and challenges
that I encountered at SyndiCon. I'm not so much upset with the fact I
didn't get up close to the actors and get autographs, but I was upset by
the lack of communications and the lack of leadership and organization at
the Con. (In one incident that turned pretty ugly, a Con Staff person had
issued three different orders in the span of five minutes. It was *very*
frustrating.) It could've have been better but when the lines of
communications break, then nothing great is accomplished. Enough said.

I had a wonderful time and can't wait to repeat it in the near future.
Thanks and later!!!

Monica J.
Mjord...@aol.com

Final thought: Someone asked Adrian how he felt about Cons and returning
to them. Can he believe it or does he get used to it? His answer said a
lot about his character. He said he felt "honored." I've only seen
Adrian at one other con, but he was very relaxed here. Even danced a bit
on stage, not a lot, but certainly more than he did at Gathering III.
Usually he doesn't want to, unless that's part of his personality, but it
was nice to see him dancing that "funky street stuff" as he called it. He
said he learned "poppin' and lockin'" then later studied ballet. And
guess who he said was one of his favorites nemesis? Horton. I know. I
screamed too. <g> All in all, it was a great weekend.

Final final thoughts: There's some spoilers for next season included
below. I'll leave the obligatory twenty four spaces. If you read it,
it's your fault!!! Remember that!

In
The
End
There
Can
Be
Only
One!
In
The
End
There
Can
Be
Only
One!
In
The
End
There
Can
Be
Only
One!

How true those words ring. As far as TPTB are concerned, of the four
supporting actors that interact with Duncan MacLeod, none are returning as
of the weekend of the Con. The writers only have six episodes worked out
so far and all revolve around The Highlander (as it should IMO) :-)
There's a strong probability that Peter Wingfield will not be returning to
reprise the role of Methos (according to Peter himself). Some contractual
talks, but it's bloody likely he won't be back. Stan hasn't signed up
either and neither has Elizabeth. I'm not sure about Jim. The writers
mentioned there would be no Gathering in the final episode but there would
be a resolution to Duncan's character. And this is DEFINITELY the last
season of Highlander the series. (A fourth movie has been in the talk
stages for years and probably will continue that way.) There will only be
thirteen episodes. All filmed in Paris. Maurice was back briefly in a
5th season episode, but he ended up on the cutting room floor. He owns a
jazz club now. What else can I think about? Oh, the writers also said
that Kenny is dead! It won't happen onscreen though, and Adrian also said
he wished he could've offed the little one. <g>

One last thing: I just heard Adrian danced at Jim Byrnes concert. Man,
too bad I missed it but couldn't afford it. (whine, whine, pout, pout).

Regina Michelle Wilhelm

May 23, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/23/97

All right, I'll bite: Where IS Gathering IV?

Please reply to ME, since I don't get on the NG very often, 'specially
right now....

Reggie :)
Picc Chick
Tuba Chick (Tuba Wooba) (Tuba Diva) (Tuba Shiva)
Oregon Marching Band
Oregon Basketball Band
Oregon Wind Ensemble
EX-Uniform Manager, 1995-96 "No Raccoons"

"Hmmm. No. I have never had that urge. I did have the one with
the chocolate and the toes, though."
-Psychiatrist's Couch; Mr. Flibble's Page of Fun

"Shut up, kid." -Guinan, to Wesley Crusher, Star Trek

"Richie, shut up." -Duncan MacLeod, Highlander