How did Richie become an Immortal?

Rifleman

Jan 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/29/96
I know that Richie was 'born' again as an Immortal sometime in the second
season (I don't know which episode), but all through the first season (at
least as far as I've seen) Richie has never been considered an Immortal,
he neither senses them and Duncan doesn't treat him as an Immortal (or
Immortal in training). I know in "The Gathering" that Connor says that
"...that the boy will need looking after..."., possibly implying that he
was an Immortal and needed looking after. If so, do both Duncan and Connor
know that he will become an immortal?
Please clear this up for me :)
Thanks, Rifleman

par...@gas.uug.arizona.edu
S...@vms.ccit.arizona.edu
r...@life.arizona.edu

B D "...and I will show you fear in a handful of dust..."
E O
A W "There can be only one!!!"
R N -any Immortal about to behead another Immortal
!

Gary Thompson

Jan 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/30/96
Rifleman <par...@GAS.UUG.Arizona.EDU> wrote:

>I know that Richie was 'born' again as an Immortal sometime in the second
>season (I don't know which episode), but all through the first season (at
>least as far as I've seen) Richie has never been considered an Immortal,
>he neither senses them and Duncan doesn't treat him as an Immortal (or
>Immortal in training). I know in "The Gathering" that Connor says that
>"...that the boy will need looking after..."., possibly implying that he
>was an Immortal and needed looking after. If so, do both Duncan and Connor
>know that he will become an immortal?
> Please clear this up for me :)
>Thanks, Rifleman

As far as I know, there are no episodes that confirm your speculation. In fact,
pre-immie buzz was never mentioned... only here in speculation. The episode you
refer to where Ritchie becomes an immie is "The Darkness" which is season two,
episode four. They barely touch on what exactly happened though until they meet
Ritchie and Tessa's killer in season 3.
Gary Thompson
"The Psycho"
72607...@compuserve.com
HTTP://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/psychotps

Gary Thompson

Jan 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/30/96
72607...@compuserve.com (Gary Thompson) wrote:

(nothing)

(Signature lines test...)

Psychotic Dragon
-==(UDIC)==-
Gary Thompson
AKA "The Psycho"
72607...@compuserve.com
HTTP://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/psychotps

Greg Siering -- `Have telnet, will travel.'

Jan 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/30/96
In article <4ekgd4$c...@dub-news-svc-1.compuserve.com>,
72607...@compuserve.com (Gary Thompson) writes:
> As far as I know, there are no episodes that confirm your speculation.
[that there was a way Duncan and Connor knew Richie is an immortal]

Sorry for not being able to name episodes, but in the episode with the
two French bank robbers, an older immortal found a youth and seemed to
know he was immortal. He took the youngster under his wing and
trained him to be a master criminal. When he felt his protoge was
"ready," he said so and shot him, stopping his aging in his prime.
Any kind souls able to offer episode or character names without much
difficulty?

And in "Avenging Angel," Duncan *seemed* to know what was happening
when the wounded psycho first ran in front of his car. And I don't
think I remember a buzzing, just a knowledge of what was happening.

Ah, but since I am usually cooking dinner while I watch, I make no
claims to solid knowledge of any episode.

Greg

_______
Greg Siering |.-----.|\
Department of English || || |
Ball State University ||_____|| |
00gjs...@bsuvc.bsu.edu , ' ,`======='/
http://bsuvc.bsu.edu/~00gjsiering/ , , , ' /:::::::/
~~~~~~~~

Gary Thompson

Jan 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/30/96
72607...@compuserve.com (Gary Thompson) wrote:

(nothing signature test).. should be the right one...

Gary Thompson

Diana Hamilton

Jan 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/30/96

Gary Thompson <72607...@compuserve.com> wrote:
>>Immortal in training). I know in "The Gathering" that Connor says that
>>"...that the boy will need looking after..."., possibly implying that he
>>was an Immortal and needed looking after. If so, do both Duncan and Connor
>>know that he will become an immortal?
>
>As far as I know, there are no episodes that confirm your speculation.In fact,
>pre-immie buzz was never mentioned.. only here in speculation.The episode you

I was wondering if Duncan picked up such a buzz in "Avenging Angel."
Cahill was running through traffic with a not-yet-fatal wound when
Duncan sensed him. He seemed to die for the first time in the Templar
museum once Duncan caught up with him.

Or did he actually die when first stabbed by the whore? Opinions?

--
Diana Hamilton -- hami...@alumni.umbc.edu -- Baltimore, MD USA

nguyen tri hoang

Jan 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/30/96

there is a web site for highlander if you haven't already seen it.

try doing a netsearch and you'll probably find it.
they have descriptions of the tv episodes for the first and second
season.

richie becomes an immortal in the fourth episode.

at the end he and tessa are mugged.
the mugger shoots both, but only tessa dies.
that's it. no complicated events that lead up to his "rebirth."

tri

Nash

Jan 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/30/96
In article <1996Jan30...@bsuvc.bsu.edu>, 00gjs...@bsuvc.bsu.edu
says...

>In article <4ekgd4$c...@dub-news-svc-1.compuserve.com>,
>72607...@compuserve.com (Gary Thompson) writes:
>> As far as I know, there are no episodes that confirm your speculation.
> [that there was a way Duncan and Connor knew Richie is an immortal]
>
>Sorry for not being able to name episodes, but in the episode with the
>two French bank robbers, an older immortal found a youth and seemed to
>know he was immortal. He took the youngster under his wing and
>trained him to be a master criminal. When he felt his protoge was
>"ready," he said so and shot him, stopping his aging in his prime.
>Any kind souls able to offer episode or character names without much
>difficulty?
>
>And in "Avenging Angel," Duncan *seemed* to know what was happening
>when the wounded psycho first ran in front of his car. And I don't
>think I remember a buzzing, just a knowledge of what was happening.
>
>Ah, but since I am usually cooking dinner while I watch, I make no
>claims to solid knowledge of any episode.
>
>Greg

There is none, but the producers and Adrian Paul both said, on numerous
occassions, that Richie's immortality was planned from the start. Check the
Highlander Archive for Adrian Paul's AOL interviews, they shed some interesting
light on the subject (not to mention Adrian Paul's BLATENT plugging of his own
fan club).

Regards,
Aarethin D'Nash

P.E.A.C.E. He mentioned it every other answer.

Catalano

Jan 31, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/31/96
to 00gjs...@bsuvc.bsu.edu
In one of the very first episodes, as Duncan was (ahem) involved with
Tessa, he suddenly broke off to come into the antique shop to challenge
Richie who was playing with a sword. Clearly he had sensed Richie as an
immortal. This was their first intro. He evidently realized Richie was
not yet fully vested, but kept an interest. In a later episode he also
acknowleged this ability with a young rebellious woman that he saw
through the transition.

Mesia13

Jan 31, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/31/96
In article
<Pine.SOL.3.91.960129...@argon.GAS.UUG.Arizona.EDU>,
Rifleman <par...@GAS.UUG.Arizona.EDU> writes:

>I know that Richie was 'born' again as an Immortal sometime in the second

>season (I don't know which episode), but all through the first season (at

>least as far as I've seen) Richie has never been considered an Immortal,
>he neither senses them and Duncan doesn't treat him as an Immortal (or

>Immortal in training). I know in "The Gathering" that Connor says that
>"...that the boy will need looking after..."., possibly implying that he
>was an Immortal and needed looking after. If so, do both Duncan and
Connor
>know that he will become an immortal?

> Please clear this up for me :)

This sparks another question for me. Since Duncan already knew that Richie
was going to be Immortal someday, and Richie had an interest in sword
fighting, why didn't Duncan teach Richie how to use a sword -before- his
first death? This would have saved a lot of angst in 'Eye For An Eye' when
Richie was desperately preparing for battle with Annie. In one episode (I
believe 'Eye Of the Beholder') Richie, still mortal, asked Duncan to teach
him and Dunc said, "Absolutely not." Wasn't he just putting Richie in that
much more danger by -not- preparing him for what was to come? After all,
he didn't have to -tell- Richie that his life would one day depend on what
he was learning.

A very confused Mesia
"If there is magic on this planet, it is in the sea."

the eggplant ranger
Plesiosaur Seven-Headed-Hydra ThunderZord
NinjaBlueFootedBoobyZord power
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
"Would it confuse it if we ran away some more?"
"Oh , shut up. And go and change your armor!"
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
"Time is an illusion, lunchtime doubly so." -Ford Prefect
"With your shield or on it." -Lt. James Brody
"You can't die, stupid. You're immortal!"
-Juan Sanchez Villalopa Ramirez

lcr...@scf.usc.edu
Mes...@aol.com

the eggplant ranger
Plesiosaur Seven-Headed-Hydra ThunderZord
NinjaBlueFootedBoobyZord power
"Would it confuse it if we ran away some more?"
"Oh, shut up. And go and change your armor!"
"Time is an illusion, lunchtime doubly so." -Ford Prefect
"With your sheild or on it." -Lt. James Brody

Catalano

Jan 31, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/31/96
to 00gjs...@bsuvc.bsu.edu

Lperla

Jan 31, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/31/96
Actually, there are two other inidicators. In the original episode, could
it be that Duncan actually felt Ritchie instead of Slan Quince. It seemed
that way. It seemed that Slan showing up was only a coincidence. If not,
it would be the only time Duncan was fooled that way.

Also, there was also an episode where Ritchie was looking for his parents.
Based on many of the comments Duncan made, you can infer that he knows
Ritchies is/will be an immortal and therefore will never know his parents.
You could also argue that Duncan's comments are just reflections of his
own past musings on his lineage.

I guess the series producers/writers are the only ones who know for sure.
I think I read somewhere that they planned Ritchie's immortality from the
start.

Jeff DeKelver

Jan 31, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/31/96
Gary Thompson wrote:

> Rifleman <par...@GAS.UUG.Arizona.EDU> wrote:

[Snip]

> >Thanks, Rifleman

[Snip]

> They barely touch on what exactly happened though until they meet
> Ritchie and Tessa's killer in season 3.

What was the name of the episode where they meet up with the killer
of Richie, and Tessa? I don't think that I've seen it... What was
it about? What was the story line? Who was in it?

I'm just curious...

Jeff DeKelver
deke...@vnet.ibm.com

Nash

Feb 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/1/96
In article <310FEC...@vnet.ibm.com>, deke...@vnet.ibm.com says...

>What was the name of the episode where they meet up with the killer
>of Richie, and Tessa? I don't think that I've seen it... What was
>it about? What was the story line? Who was in it?
>
>I'm just curious...

Don't know the title. Duncan and Richie found out the little schmuck's
name, and tracked them down. Duncan didn't want revenge; he told Richie he'd
been down that road, and it didn't lead anywhere. Richie didn't believe him
and went after him. And of COURSE the kid was so stoned when he shot Richie
and Tessa he had no idea he'd done it. Richie convinced him REAL fast, though.
Almost threw him off a building, but the little butt-pimple had a wife and a
kid on the way, so Richie didn't do it.
Sigh.
And there was a counter-plot running regarding MacLeod and an immie who
used Rottweilers to take down another immortal and then hold him until they
could be killed. Nice guy, huh?

Regards,
Aarethin D'Nash

Can you tell I miss Tessa?

Flame

Feb 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/2/96
The name of the episode is Leader of the Pack. It's the fourth episode of the
fourth season and is supposed to be rerun in April.

Flame

Rache Bartmoss

Feb 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/2/96
He was the twelfth caller.

There can be only me,
Bartmoss

"You kill anybody?" "Just cops." "No real people?" "Just
cops." -Mr. Pink and Mr. White, "Reservoir Dogs."

everett bradley s

Feb 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/5/96
yeah, Slan(richard moll) is who Duncan sensed,it wasn't richie. I
missed the episode where richie was exposed as an immortal, but in
episodes previous to that, richie was able to come into a room without
duncan knowing it.

On Thu, 1 Feb 1996, J. M. Reinhard wrote:

> But didn't Connor and Richard Moll (Slan?) show up within a few moments of
> this? I assume you're talking about the ep. where Richie snuck into the
> shop to help himself to some antiques?
>

> --
> nym...@babel.mv.com are you //\/\\ sick //\/\\ of me yet? <J. M. Reinhard>
> Fans Against Legal Harrassment\\/\//[FALH]\\/\// Ask me about my boxer shorts.
> "Nobody loves me, everybody hates me, I'm going to the garden to eat worms..."
> If everybody was as nutzoid as I am, //\/\\ I have an excuse... !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
> Earth would be a safer place to live \\/\// ??????????? Insanity is hereditary.

Nash

Feb 6, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/6/96
In article <Pine.Sola.3.91.96020...@ux5.cso.uiuc.edu>,
beve...@ux5.cso.uiuc.edu says...

>yeah, Slan(richard moll) is who Duncan sensed,it wasn't richie. I
>missed the episode where richie was exposed as an immortal, but in
>episodes previous to that, richie was able to come into a room without
>duncan knowing it.
>
>On Thu, 1 Feb 1996, J. M. Reinhard wrote:
>
>> Catalano <cata...@gort.canisius.edu> writes:
>>
>> > In one of the very first episodes, as Duncan was (ahem) involved with
>> > Tessa, he suddenly broke off to come into the antique shop to challenge
>> > Richie who was playing with a sword. Clearly he had sensed Richie as an
>> > immortal. This was their first intro. He evidently realized Richie was
>> > not yet fully vested, but kept an interest. In a later episode he also
>> > acknowleged this ability with a young rebellious woman that he saw
>> > through the transition.
>>
>> But didn't Connor and Richard Moll (Slan?) show up within a few moments of
>> this? I assume you're talking about the ep. where Richie snuck into the
>> shop to help himself to some antiques?

No, you're thinking of two different epsiodes. The one with Slan was
the first, "The Gathering." The one refered to above featured Joan Jett, and
was later in the season.

Regards,
Aarethin D'Nash

God, Joan, that HAIR!

Lycanthro

Feb 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/10/96
An immortal knows another possible immortal when they come in contact with
them. This past weeks episode showed that and so have several in the
past. Thats why Duncan took Richie under his wing. He would learn about
immortals, but not be treated as one, until he became one. Why train him
for something that may not come to be. And so you know Richie and Tessa
were shot by a mugger, Tessa died. Richie was reborn.

Ron Ivy

Feb 12, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/12/96

Article 25205 of alt.tv.highlander:
From: jbo...@awod.com (Nash)
Subject: Re: How did Richie become an Immortal?
Date: 1 Feb 1996 04:52:33 GMT

>What was the name of the episode where they meet up with the killer
>of Richie, and Tessa? I don't think that I've seen it... What was
>it about? What was the story line? Who was in it?
>
>I'm just curious...

Don't know the title. Duncan and Richie found out the little schmuck's
name, and tracked them down. Duncan didn't want revenge; he told Richie he'd
been down that road, and it didn't lead anywhere. Richie didn't believe him
and went after him. And of COURSE the kid was so stoned when he shot Richie
and Tessa he had no idea he'd done it. Richie convinced him REAL fast, though.
Almost threw him off a building, but the little butt-pimple had a wife and a
kid on the way, so Richie didn't do it.
Sigh.
And there was a counter-plot running regarding MacLeod and an immie who
used Rottweilers to take down another immortal and then hold him until they
could be killed. Nice guy, huh?

Regards,
Aarethin D'Nash

Can you tell I miss Tessa?

The episode was 'Leader of the pack'. By the way, when will Richie learn
to trust what Mac is telling him and stop running off half-cocked? It can
get a little annoying.

Ron

Brian White

Feb 16, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/16/96
I think the reason they did this in the first episode was to make it
confusing. First you think that it's Richie he senses, then the others
come around. I believe that they meant to have Richie be immortal at
first, then scrapped the idea, then a season or so later, they decided
to go back with their first idea.

-- Brian White whit...@uidaho.edu

David

Jul 5, 2021, 10:21:12 AM7/5/21
I wanted to know the answer to this question (was Richie always immortal), and found a clear answer from Bill Panzer (Executive Producer).

He basically states in an interview that they weren't sure, but had considered it. By the time of filming, they were set enough on the idea, that they added all the foreshadowing we see in the Highlander series.

I lay it all out here if you're interested: https://oldcynic.com/was-highlander-richie-ryan-always-going-to-be-immortal

jills...@gmail.com

Jul 5, 2021, 7:50:22 PM7/5/21
Yes indeed! I like your choices of pictures.