Who Mourns for Iolaus?

Vesta

Oct 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/21/98
Someone made a comment on this newsgroup(s) along the lines of the title
of this soung, which naturally, took me to the original song. (Which,
naturally, took me to writing this filk of it.)

***************
Who Mourns for Iolaus?

To the tune of: The Last Mourner
(Song based on the Star Trek episode "Who Mourns for Adonis?")
Music by Larry Warner
Lyrics by ve...@internetcds.com

In the jungle lies the ruins and remains of a temple
That once stood as proud as the sky
In my heart throbs the bitterest pain of a lost friend
On my cheek are tears that I have cried.

All my lifetime, I have known him, we were from the same village
And we played as brothers do
And with time and with living, we become more forgiving,
(Though you more for me than I for you.)

No more will we take a stand back to back
No more will we fight against the tide
For yea, though I'm not the only one who mourns you
I feel only emptiness inside.

Together, we walked boldly and fought the good fight
But Dahok sacrificed you to be free
And it's true, I betrayed you -- and my own soul with you --
The one who died that day should have been me

No more will we work in my mother's fields
No more will we gather laurel leaves
For I know I am the only one who truly mourns you
And forever, I shall be the one whom grieves.

In the morning I see the ruin and remains of my best friend
Who once stood proud and alive
On the wind blows the bittersweet sounds of Mt. Olympus
And the friend who taught me how it's best to die.
***************

Vesta
--
Speaking only for myself and my evil twin Skippy.

Bill

Oct 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/22/98
to ve...@internetcds.com
Well, I think that is a great poem, but Iolaus needs something more
upbeat.

I will miss him, but we are talking business here and he probably just
didn't sign his contract.

lmm

Oct 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/22/98

I thought it was a beautifully
written poem.

Michael did sign a contract
for 22 episodes this season
according to I believe the
president of his fan club,
who has posted this on
the HTLJ forum. The question
then becomes will he be Iolaus?

And on the TV Guide forum
I read this spoiler from a poster,
netnick Shadow. Shadow, if your
on this newsgroup as well, I'm hope
I am reporting what you said correctly
and that you do not mind that I am
doing it.

Bruce Campbell was reported to have said
either in a chat or e-mail, not sure which
that he is directing/and or acting in the
episode that brings Iolaus back. DahoK
needed Iolaus hero's heart so he possessed
Iolaus. HerK then has to fight Dahok for
Iolaus's soul and performs an excorcism
so to speak. Bruce is also said to have
reported that Michael as Iolaus will be in
a later episode called "Just Passing Through!"
So Michael, if this is true must be staying with
the show and more than likely as Iolaus.

Sue

Oct 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/23/98
On Thu, 22 Oct 1998 08:51:39 -0600, Bill <b1a...@telusplanet.net>
wrote:

Please see the post in this group titled, "Iolaus News! <Spoiler> for
news from the convention on the blond hunter. He *did* sign a
contract, and he *will* be back.

sho...@my-dejanews.com

Oct 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/23/98
In article <01bdfe0c$25c3e620$e08382d1@default>,

Bruce Campbell didn't say any of that in any of his chats, interviews, or his
website, with the exception that he is directing "Redemption" (described as
"The Exorcist" meets "The Last Temptation of Iolaus"), and Michael Hurst is
in that. Bruce never revealed whether Iolaus is 'brought back'. (Ever
read/see "The Last Temptation of Christ"? He decides in the end, it really
was all worth dying for after all)

The only person Bruce mentions as being in "Just Passing Through" is
Autolycus. He's *extremely* frugal with his words in email, preferring short
answers he can just whip off, and I'd be very surprised if he revealed plot
details to someone via email.

--Shirley

Bill

Oct 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/23/98
to lmm
Seems like good news though very convoluted!!!

lmm

Oct 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/24/98
Hi all,

I did repost later that
the part about Iolaus
coming back was not
based on what Bruce
had said. That it was the
poster on the TV Guide
forum who had drawn
this conclusion. He apparently
based his theory on the Exorcist
part of the "Excorcist meets
the Last temptation of Christ" and
from the guesses that people have
been making about Dahok possesing
Iolaus. The poster did say it was
unconfirmed and from the website
not an e-mail, which I also put in the second post.
And I also said it wasn't in this post about
Just Passing Through. I have read so many
diffrent posts on this subject that I am starting
to get way too confused.

I am sorry for adding to the confusion,
Someone said on another list that there
is just far too many rumors and speculations
going on and she is just going to sit back
and watch and see what actually unfolds
on the screen. I think I'm going to do the
same.

Again I apologize.

sho...@my-dejanews.com

Oct 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/24/98
In article <01bdff0d$07b1ea40$358482d1@default>,

I agree, it can get confusing pretty fast! I think it's natural considering
how beloved the Iolaus character is, and feelings are running high about the
situation.

Jael

Oct 25, 1998, 2:00:00 AM10/25/98
Just as an aside, my fanfic of the same title is finally finished, and for
anyone who enjoyed the first few pieces I posted to this newsgroup, I'll be
happy to email the completed product. It's about 7500 words.

Jael
--
OH MY GOD THEY'VE KILLED IOLAUS!
YOU BASTARDS!

Wikewike

Oct 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/26/98
That was a wonderful poem.Hercules couldn't have said it better.
~~T~~