Iolaus - What the he** ????

Phil Marshall

Jan 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/22/99
Are the producers -trying- to kill off their own shows ?

I am sick of it. Iolaus was dead at the start of the season, then they
brought him back. So now what happens - they kill him off again. If the
actor who plays Iolaus ( sorry, I don't know his name, but I really
enjoy his charactor. They make a fantastic team ! ) wanted to leave the
series, I wish they had left him dead at the start of the season.

All of this killing off the stars, then bringing them back has worn me
out. Upsetting too. If Iolaus is truly gone, I think I' ll just kiss
off BOTH Herc & Zena.

Maybe that's the real reason the ratings are down - people are fed up
with the crappy storylines, and prefer the episodes from the earlier
seasons. I know I do.

Phil

FrasierFan

Jan 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/23/99
For those who DON'T want to know the current Renaissance spin on the Iolaus
fiasco (no OTHER word for it).

For what it's worth, Michael Hurst (Iolaus) is NOT leaving the show/production
company. Furthermore, the "Jester" character from last season's "Stranger in a
Strange World" will become the "new" Iolaus. This is so the people in charge
could create a "dramatic story arc" by assassinating (not just killing off
here, we're talking CHARACTER assassination) Iolaus. This is the current
situation as most of us "unworthy viewers" see it (THEIR attitude toward us).
If you ARE unhappy with this situation, any blame can be laid at the feet of
the PRODUCERS of this show (and the writers), not any of the cast, or even all
the writers.

And yes, *I'm* mad about it too. There are several websites which you can post
to complain, also several websites contain addresses to write to Renaissance
Pictures to let your feelings be known.

Thank heavens the producers of my OTHER favorite show "Frasier" (like THAT'S a
surprise with the screenname) actually have the sense to LISTEN to the people
who watch the show, and adjust "wonderful new story arcs" that aren't working.
Maybe that's why THEY win the Emmys.

Going off to sulk now,
Suzanne
We have met the enemy, and it is SPAM!!!!!!!!

Susan M. Sanders

Jan 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/23/99
In article <8416-36...@newsd-104.iap.bryant.webtv.net>,
BLUELI...@webtv.net (Phil Marshall) wrote:

FOR REDEMPTION AND THE REST OF SEASON 5

> Are the producers -trying- to kill off their own shows ?

Seems clear to me. This has been the *dumbest* season of any show *ever*!

> I am sick of it. Iolaus was dead at the start of the season, then they
> brought him back. So now what happens - they kill him off again.

Yep, string people along for months, get them expecting to see a
"redemption", then hand them this load of crap.

> All of this killing off the stars, then bringing them back has worn me
> out. Upsetting too. If Iolaus is truly gone, I think I' ll just kiss
> off BOTH Herc & Zena.

Me too. The head writers have said that Iolaus will be back (but it's not
clear if they're referring to "real" Iolaus or "alt" Iolaus) but even if
he does come back, I'm not sure anybody will really care anymore. Just
how long do they think they can drag this out before everybody gets, as
you say, just worn out? They'd better turn this thing around *real
quick*, or I don't think anybody will be watching anymore.

> Maybe that's the real reason the ratings are down - people are fed up
> with the crappy storylines, and prefer the episodes from the earlier
> seasons. I know I do.
>
> Phil

Oh, you're hardly the only one, Phil. Lots of folks have already quit
watching, and lots more, like me, are right on the verge. Even if I stick
out this season, having gotten this far into it, I'll be thinking *long
and hard* before getting back into anything next season that will be under
the control of the weasle boys.

Susan M. Sanders

Jan 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/23/99
In article <19990123004700...@ng-fi1.aol.com>,
frasi...@aol.com (FrasierFan) wrote:

> Going off to sulk now,
> Suzanne
> We have met the enemy, and it is SPAM!!!!!!!!

Wrong, Suzanne! We have met the enemy, and it is Taperticus and the Weasle Boys!

FrasierFan

Jan 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/23/99
Well, I suppose I COULD change my sig file, Sue, but I've gotten SO fond of
this one (perhaps a generic "Renaissance Pictures" as an addendum? :)

Czaerana

Jan 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/23/99
>Thank heavens the producers of my OTHER favorite show "Frasier" (like THAT'S
>surprise with the screenname) actually have the sense to LISTEN to the people
>who watch the show, and adjust "wonderful new story arcs" that aren't
>working.

Really! In an article in the local (Memphis) paper the "Frasier" PTB admitted
they were wrong in keeping him out of work and away from the station. They
listened to actors and fans!

Cynthia

FrasierFan

Jan 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/23/99

Having been a fan of BOTH series almost since the inception (at roughly the
same time), I see a lot of parallels here, Cynthia. Both Iolaus and Niles
developed WAY beyond what the original premise of both shows had envisioned
(and basically CHANGED the direction on both shows). Of course, having two
HIGHLY talented actors breathe life into these characters made all the
difference (the fact that they're both cute blond guys is PURELY coincidence
:)).

Anyway, one of the creators/executive producers of Frasier was VERY actively
involved with alt.tv.frasier for sometime (actively in the sense that people
with the limited amount of time he had CAN be involved). He's recently cut his
amount of participation down dramatically for a variety of reasons, but it was
SUCH a great experience to get and receive feedback from someone "behind" the
scenes with almost no OUTSIDE screening involved. Gave most of us a "feel" for
what went on in the show itself. There were other "production team" members
that would also contribute from time to time (the casting director being the
most prominant) which was an even GREATER kick.

I just find it sad that so many people on a much "bigger" (well, it IS, both in
ratings and in critical acclaim) show than anything Renaissance has could take
the time out of THEIR busy schedules to get a feel for "what's going on out
there" while Renaissance has an attitude of "whatever we do is RIGHT,
automatically". I myself kind of doubt I'll have any interest in future
Renaissance projects of ANY kind after this kind of cavalier attitude. It's
just no FUN, anymore. :(

Suzanne

Alleigh

Jan 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/23/99
On 23 Jan 1999 05:47:00 GMT, frasi...@aol.com (FrasierFan) wrote:

>For those who DON'T want to know the current Renaissance spin on the Iolaus
>fiasco (no OTHER word for it).

>For what it's worth, Michael Hurst (Iolaus) is NOT leaving the show/production
>company. Furthermore, the "Jester" character from last season's "Stranger in a
>Strange World" will become the "new" Iolaus. This is so the people in charge

But he would be dead as well - they seemed to of forgotten that if
someone dies in one world they die in the other as well. Personally if
this happens I will most likely only tape the shows in case I decide
to watch further on down the road

Czaerana

Jan 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/23/99

>>For what it's worth, Michael Hurst (Iolaus) is NOT leaving the
>show/production
>>company. Furthermore, the "Jester" character from last season's "Stranger
>in a
>>Strange World" will become the "new" Iolaus. This is so the people in
>charge
>
>But he would be dead as well - they seemed to of forgotten that if
>someone dies in one world they die in the other as well.

Funny that the viewers remember that but not the producers and writers!!

Cynthia

Kathryn Rushent.

Jan 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/23/99
Please, Lord, say it ain't so. I've always preferred the Iolaus character
to the Herc character, even if, by definition, you required the latter to
have a TV series about his character in order to get the former... but,
really, to replace the real thing with the alternative giggling dork that
was barely bearable in the first place? I am a professional writer and
scriptwriter-- that isn't just a major mistake in losing the original
character (not to mention drawing out his death scene for TWO THIRDS OF A
SEASON!!!!!) but it spells a major loss in audience numbers and the
not-too-eventual death of the series.
In a word: Yuck.

Susan M. Sanders <ssan...@umich.edu> wrote in article
<ssanders-230...@pm461-40.dialip.mich.net>...

> In article <8416-36...@newsd-104.iap.bryant.webtv.net>,

me...@execpc.com

Jan 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/23/99

Phil Marshall wrote:

> Are the producers -trying- to kill off their own shows ?
>

> Maybe that's the real reason the ratings are down - people are fed up
> with the crappy storylines, and prefer the episodes from the earlier
> seasons. I know I do.
>
> Phil

I have had the feeling since last season that the writers/producers were
sick of Hercules & were deliberately trying to sabotage the show. Even if
it is not deliberate, that's exactly what they're doing. As far as I'm
concerned, there have only been about 2 or 3 shows that I've enjoyed since
Season 3. In the first three seasons, they had a wonderful balance of humor
and adventure. This was one of the main things that attracted me to the
show. In the last two seasons, they lean too far in either one direction -
either the shows are very bad burlesque (chicken & pigs - please!) or
they're too dark and brooding. Most seem like cheap rip-offs of B-rated
horror films. I have friends who stopped watching completely last season
because they said the show was boring.

Point 2: Hercules' two most important relationships were with his mother
and Iolaus. These relationships humanized him, toned down his
self-righteous attitude and made him into both an interesting and
sympathetic character. Without them, I wonder how interesting the show
would have been. Let's face it. Hercules' smug certainty that he was
always right & always knew what was best could get annoying.

Hercules' relationship with Iolaus worked precisely because it was long
standing. They had been friends since they were children so we understood
their closeness. The alter Iolaus may actually be an interesting character
- I don't know yet - but he is not the same. He does not have the same
history with Hercules, and the relationship will lack depth.

Point 3: I don't know about you, but I was highly insulted by Tapert's
comment that the Hercules fans would ignore the inconsistencies and his smug
certainty that the loyal fans would stick with the show & that the new story
line would bring in new viewers. Look at the figures, buster!

I watched all last season because I kept hoping that the next episode would
be better. I probably will continue watching this season, but I'm not
taping any of the shows anymore. I can only stand to watch them once. On
the other hand, I've probably watched & thoroughly enjoyed all the shows
from the first three seasons!

me...@execpc.com

Jan 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/23/99
They do. They just seem to think that we're all idiots & will not
notice.

Czaerana

Jan 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/24/99
> In the first three seasons, they had a wonderful balance of humor
>and adventure. This was one of the main things that attracted me to the
>show. In the last two seasons, they lean too far in either one direction -
>either the shows are very bad burlesque (chicken & pigs - please!) or
>they're too dark and brooding.

The same can be said for "Xena"!

>Point 2: Hercules' two most important relationships were with his mother
>and Iolaus.

I hate that TPTB killed off Alcmene. I liked her relationship with Herc. I
also liked the portrayal of an older woman happily married to a younger guy
(Jason).

Cynthia

Alleigh

Jan 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/24/99
On Sat, 23 Jan 1999 22:28:09 -0600, me...@execpc.com wrote:

>Phil Marshall wrote:
>
>> Are the producers -trying- to kill off their own shows ?
>>
>> Maybe that's the real reason the ratings are down - people are fed up
>> with the crappy storylines, and prefer the episodes from the earlier
>> seasons. I know I do.
>>
>> Phil
>
> I have had the feeling since last season that the writers/producers were
>sick of Hercules & were deliberately trying to sabotage the show. Even if
>it is not deliberate, that's exactly what they're doing. As far as I'm
>concerned, there have only been about 2 or 3 shows that I've enjoyed since

>Season 3. In the first three seasons, they had a wonderful balance of humor

>and adventure. This was one of the main things that attracted me to the

I have liked most of the 5 seasons of Herc - I even like these current
episodes - I just don't like resurrections that much.

Brule31x63

Jan 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/25/99
>They do. They just seem to think that we're all idiots & will not
>notice.

Mmm, *I* am an idiot.

Hey, I liked `Redemption`, and so, I'm happy, while you non-idiots are
spitting mad. Tough break, that.
Cleanthes

The pith o' sense, and pride o' worth,
Are higher rank than 'a that.

Kenneth R. Horan

Jan 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/25/99

Phil Marshall wrote in message
<8416-36...@newsd-104.iap.bryant.webtv.net>...

Are the producers -trying- to kill off their own shows ?

I am sick of it. Iolaus was dead at the start of the season, then they

brought him back. So now what happens - they kill him off again. If the
actor who plays Iolaus ( sorry, I don't know his name, but I really
enjoy his charactor. They make a fantastic team ! ) wanted to leave the

series, I wish they had left him dead at the start of the season.

All of this killing off the stars, then bringing them back has worn me
out. Upsetting too. If Iolaus is truly gone, I think I' ll just kiss
off BOTH Herc & Zena.

Maybe that's the real reason the ratings are down - people are fed up

with the crappy storylines, and prefer the episodes from the earlier
seasons. I know I do.

Phil

Actually, the story line made perfect sense to me...remember Dahak only
needed "the heart of a warrior" to enter the world (or so said Gilgamesh). I
for one kind of expected to see Dahak come back via Iolaus' body...I was
sort of hoping to see Iolaus come back but I guess it's not to be...I really
liked him!