Was Hercules filmed in HD?

SFTV_troy

Jul 11, 2009, 5:00:19 PM7/11/09
Before I run out and buy the SD-DVDs, I'd like to know if Hercules was
filmed in HD quality? I'm going to guess the answer is "no" same as
Star Trek TNG, DS9, and VOY with the only final version being a
Betacam or other standard-def videotape.

If the answer is "yes" then I'll just wait for the Bluray disc.

krp

Jul 11, 2009, 5:27:36 PM7/11/09

"SFTV_troy" <SFTV...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

If it was "FILMED" then it is FILM quality. If done on VIDEO then it could
be anything. If all else fails, look on the box.

SFTV_troy

Jul 12, 2009, 7:29:20 AM7/12/09
On Jul 11, 4:27 pm, "krp" <kr...@verizon.net> wrote:

> If it was "FILMED" then it is FILM quality. If done on VIDEO then
> it could be anything. If all else fails, look on the box.

Thanks for telling me what I already know, but not answering the
question of which one it was (filmed or video'd). Good grief.

By the way if it was mastered on videotape then, like Star Trek, it's
probably Betacam (analog) or DigiBetacam (SD). So no high-definition
version.

Ubiquitous

Jul 12, 2009, 8:55:48 AM7/12/09
SFTV...@yahoo.com wrote:

>Before I run out and buy the SD-DVDs, I'd like to know if Hercules was
>filmed in HD quality? I'm going to guess the answer is "no" same as
>Star Trek TNG, DS9, and VOY with the only final version being a
>Betacam or other standard-def videotape.

HD didn't even exist back then.

--
It is simply breathtaking to watch the glee and abandon with which
the liberal media and the Angry Left have been attempting to turn

Alan F

Jul 12, 2009, 10:15:16 AM7/12/09
Ubiquitous wrote:
> SFTV...@yahoo.com wrote:
>
>> Before I run out and buy the SD-DVDs, I'd like to know if Hercules was
>> filmed in HD quality? I'm going to guess the answer is "no" same as
>> Star Trek TNG, DS9, and VOY with the only final version being a
>> Betacam or other standard-def videotape.
>
> HD didn't even exist back then.

TV shows shot on 35mm film can be remastered in HD. 35mm film has
higher resolution than 1080p HD, so there are many older TV shows which
can remastered to HD. Most hour long dramas and some sitcoms were shot
on film. That is how the original Star Trek series from the 60s can be
released on HD-DVD and now Blu-ray. Seinfeld was shot on film, and
despite being edited on video, it was a valuable enough property that
the studio went back to the 35mm masters and re-edited and remastered
the show to create the HD versions now being aired in syndication and on
TBS-HD. Unfortunately, they cropped the original 4:3 framing while
opening the framing to the side a bit, to 16:9 for the widescreen look.

The problem with more recent shows such as Hercules with Kevin aSorbo
is how much of the special effects were SD CGI and that the show
was likely edited in video. I never watched the series much, but
thinking back it had a film look, so it was very likely shot on either
35mm or super 16mm film, because 24p HD video was not in common use
then. So much of the show could probably be remastered in HD, well
grainy HD given the limits of the film stock and production quality, but
would a studio find it profitable to spend the bucks for a one time
syndicated series to do so? Not likely

Oddly enough, it is the older shows from the 1950s to the 1970s/esrly
80s that are cheaper to remaster in HD because they were edited on film
so there are film masters on hand which can be cleaned up and directly
re-telecined in HD. OTOH, the first 3 seasons of Northern Exposure from
the early 90s have been shown in 4:3 HD, so the hit TV series from the
80s and 90s may eventually show up on Blu-Ray - after the studios have
milked DVD season box sets down to the last buck.

Alan F

Anim8rFSK

Jul 12, 2009, 1:08:49 PM7/12/09
In article <YNGdnb_yaZqNbcTX...@giganews.com>,
Alan F <afig...@xxverizonx.net> wrote:

> The problem with more recent shows such as Hercules with Kevin aSorbo
> is how much of the special effects were SD CGI and that the show
> was likely edited in video. I never watched the series much, but
> thinking back it had a film look, so it was very likely shot on either
> 35mm or super 16mm film, because 24p HD video was not in common use
> then.

But the fx are really low end video. I don't think we'll ever see
HercHD.

--
Uncle Jack: "Will, you're invisible!"
Will: "Invisible? I can't be! I can touch myself!"

writerpatrick.webs.com

Jul 12, 2009, 1:57:05 PM7/12/09

"Alan F" <afig...@xxverizonx.net> wrote in message

> Ubiquitous wrote:
>> SFTV...@yahoo.com wrote:
>>
>>> Before I run out and buy the SD-DVDs, I'd like to know if Hercules was
>>> filmed in HD quality? I'm going to guess the answer is "no" same as
>>> Star Trek TNG, DS9, and VOY with the only final version being a
>>> Betacam or other standard-def videotape.
>>
>> HD didn't even exist back then.
>

> Oddly enough, it is the older shows from the 1950s to the 1970s/esrly
> 80s that are cheaper to remaster in HD because they were edited on film
> so there are film masters on hand which can be cleaned up and directly
> re-telecined in HD. OTOH, the first 3 seasons of Northern Exposure from
> the early 90s have been shown in 4:3 HD, so the hit TV series from the
> 80s and 90s may eventually show up on Blu-Ray - after the studios have
> milked DVD season box sets down to the last buck.

This was a big issue back when HD was first developed. Many older shows
could be converted while many newer shows couldn't. There was also the
concern over too much filtering, mainly because all the actresses skin flaws
would be apparent in HD.

--
Patrick McNamara
E-mail: patjmc...@gmail.com

Adam H. Kerman

Jul 12, 2009, 4:45:10 PM7/12/09
Anim8rFSK <ANIM...@cox.net> wrote:
>Alan F <afig...@xxverizonx.net> wrote:

>> The problem with more recent shows such as Hercules with Kevin aSorbo
>> is how much of the special effects were SD CGI and that the show
>> was likely edited in video. I never watched the series much, but
>> thinking back it had a film look, so it was very likely shot on either
>> 35mm or super 16mm film, because 24p HD video was not in common use
>> then.

>But the fx are really low end video. I don't think we'll ever see
>HercHD.

Let's hope not.

SFTV_troy

Jul 13, 2009, 10:51:00 AM7/13/09
On Jul 12, 7:55 am, Ubiquitous <web...@polaris.net> wrote:

> HD didn't even exist back then.

Yes it did. It's called film. I know ye younger folks probably never
heard of film (RIP polaroid and kodachrome), but it consists of a
black material that is sensitive to light. The exposed areas are
stripped away and the non-exposed areas remain dark, thereby capturing
an image which can be projected to the screen.

Oh and the Japanese had HDTV all the way back to the 1980s (called
MUSE). It was analog based.

SFTV_troy

Jul 13, 2009, 10:53:37 AM7/13/09
On Jul 12, 12:57 pm, "writerpatrick.webs.com"

> concern over too much filtering, mainly because all the actresses skin flaws
> would be apparent in HD.

You mean they look like us - average.

SFTV_troy

Jul 13, 2009, 10:56:35 AM7/13/09
On Jul 12, 3:45 pm, "Adam H. Kerman" <a...@chinet.com> wrote:

> Anim8rFSK  <ANIM8R...@cox.net> wrote:
>

> >But the fx are really low end video.  I don't think we'll ever see
> >HercHD.
>
> Let's hope not.

Hercules doesn't have a lot of CGI, maybe 30 seconds per episode
(average), so it would be fairly easy to redo the CGI so it matches
the HD 35mm Film quality.

Well whatever. I'll just go buy the Season 5 DVD. Someday I can show
my grandchildren how television used to look (a poor 480i quality).