"What The Fuck, Jeopardy": Jeopardy Ripped For Clue Referencing Gabby Petito's Murder

Ubiquitous

Nov 15, 2022, 1:26:17 PM11/15/22
"Celebrity Jeopardy!" was harshly criticized for including a clue that
referenced Brian Laundrie, the man who allegedly murdered Gabby Petito in the
fall of 2021.

Laundrie committed suicide weeks after Petito's body was found, with her
strangled in a campground near the Grand Teton mountains. He left a note in
which he confessed to killing his longtime girlfriend.

"In 2021, fugitive Brian Laundrie ended his days in Fla's Myakkahatchee Creek
area, home to these long & toothy critters," the "Celebrity Jeopardy!" clue
stated, referring to alligators, as actors John Michael Higgins, Wil Wheaton
and Joel Kim Booster competed on the show.

Social media abounded with outraged fans offering their condemnation:

"Jeopardy! just had the most absurd question I have ever seen in my life,"
one user said.

Another added, "'This is the most tasteless and insensitive answer I've ever
seen on any Jeopardy! What the hell were they thinking? Making light of that
tragic situation is repugnant. Damn."

"What the f***, Jeopardy! A Brian Laundrie question? Tasteless," one added.

People were confused by the composition of the question as well.

"That Jeopardy! question mentioning Brian Laundrie and the answer was
alligators?? What the actual hell, that was so...out of line. Not necessary!
There was no reason to mention him at all," one social media user said.

"Have you no soul? I can't believe this question got past your lawyers," one
person asked.

In the note he left in a notebook, Laundrie claimed that Petito had slipped
and fallen, "begging for an end to her pain."

"I ended her life," he wrote. "I thought it was merciful, that it is what she
wanted, but I see now all the mistake that I made. I panicked. I was in
shock. But from the moment I decided, took away her pain."

Petito's mother Nichole Schmidt ripped Laundrie's explanation, writing on
Twitter, "Fed up. Narcissists rewrite history to escape accountability."

"That was his character, even in his last moments he wanted to make sure he
looked like the good guy," Schmidt told NBC's Today Show. "That's ridiculous.
We know how she died."

Patrick Riley, an attorney for the Petito family, reacted to Laundrie's claim
that the killing was "merciful," calling it "nonsense," adding. "He is
writing a letter as though he wants people to feel sorry for him."

In late September 2021, as hundreds of mourners attended a service at a
funeral home for Petito, her father told the audience, "If there is a
relationship that you're in that might not be the best thing for you, leave
it. Now."

--
Let's go Brandon!

Ian J. Ball

Nov 15, 2022, 1:54:53 PM11/15/22
On 2022-11-15 18:26:14 +0000, Ubiquitous said:

> "Celebrity Jeopardy!" was harshly criticized for including a clue that
> referenced Brian Laundrie, the man who allegedly murdered Gabby Petito in the
> fall of 2021.
>
> Laundrie committed suicide weeks after Petito's body was found, with her
> strangled in a campground near the Grand Teton mountains. He left a note in
> which he confessed to killing his longtime girlfriend.
>
> "In 2021, fugitive Brian Laundrie ended his days in Fla's Myakkahatchee Creek
> area, home to these long & toothy critters," the "Celebrity Jeopardy!" clue
> stated, referring to alligators, as actors John Michael Higgins, Wil Wheaton
> and Joel Kim Booster competed on the show.

I think this is hilarious. Not so much for Petito's family. But for
pretty much everybody else.

BTR1701

Nov 15, 2022, 2:37:34 PM11/15/22
In article <tl0lk7$23uo9$5...@dont-email.me>,
Ubiquitous <web...@polaris.net> wrote:

> "Celebrity Jeopardy!" was harshly criticized for including a clue that
> referenced Brian Laundrie, the man who allegedly murdered Gabby Petito in the
> fall of 2021.
>
> Laundrie committed suicide weeks after Petito's body was found, with her
> strangled in a campground near the Grand Teton mountains. He left a note in
> which he confessed to killing his longtime girlfriend.
>
> "In 2021, fugitive Brian Laundrie ended his days in Fla's Myakkahatchee Creek
> area, home to these long & toothy critters," the "Celebrity Jeopardy!" clue
> stated, referring to alligators, as actors John Michael Higgins, Wil Wheaton
> and Joel Kim Booster competed on the show.
>
> Social media abounded with outraged fans offering their condemnation:
>
> "Jeopardy! just had the most absurd question I have ever seen in my life,"
> one user said.
>
> Another added, "'This is the most tasteless and insensitive answer I've ever
> seen on any Jeopardy! What the hell were they thinking? Making light of that
> tragic situation is repugnant. Damn."

> "What the f***, Jeopardy! A Brian Laundrie question? Tasteless," one added.

So now the creampuff crowd has placed any references to murderers in
off-limits territory, too?

Would "This Florida sorority was the site of the culmination of serial
killer Ted Bundy's murder spree..." also be verboten?

Or is "This Russian leader is responsible for the deaths of
approximately 20 million of his own citizens..." too much for your feelz?

> "Have you no soul? I can't believe this question got past your lawyers," one
> person asked.

Why would lawyers have any special expertise on matters of the soul?
Very few of them even have one.

danny burstein

Nov 15, 2022, 2:39:58 PM11/15/22
In <atropos-69D798...@news.giganews.com> BTR1701 <atr...@mac.com> writes:

[snip]

>So now the creampuff crowd has placed any references to murderers in
>off-limits territory, too?

>Would "This Florida sorority was the site of the culmination of serial
>killer Ted Bundy's murder spree..." also be verboten?

>Or is "This Russian leader is responsible for the deaths of
>approximately 20 million of his own citizens..." too much for your feelz?

How about "this grassy knoll has been overshadowed by its neighbor,
a book depository, in what famous assassination"?

dan...@panix.com

jmfabi...@gmail.com

Nov 15, 2022, 3:59:19 PM11/15/22
Which reminds me....

I want to tape trade for the Jeopardy! episode that aired the week of 9/17/2001 and nonetheless had a category "Game Shows Taping In The World Trade Center." WABC obviously refused to air it because it seemed insensitive. Anyone got it?

shawn

Nov 15, 2022, 4:54:16 PM11/15/22
On Tue, 15 Nov 2022 11:39:40 -0800, BTR1701 <atr...@mac.com> wrote:

>In article <tl0lk7$23uo9$5...@dont-email.me>,
> Ubiquitous <web...@polaris.net> wrote:
>
>> "Celebrity Jeopardy!" was harshly criticized for including a clue that
>> referenced Brian Laundrie, the man who allegedly murdered Gabby Petito in the
>> fall of 2021.
>>
>> Laundrie committed suicide weeks after Petito's body was found, with her
>> strangled in a campground near the Grand Teton mountains. He left a note in
>> which he confessed to killing his longtime girlfriend.
>>
>> "In 2021, fugitive Brian Laundrie ended his days in Fla's Myakkahatchee Creek
>> area, home to these long & toothy critters," the "Celebrity Jeopardy!" clue
>> stated, referring to alligators, as actors John Michael Higgins, Wil Wheaton
>> and Joel Kim Booster competed on the show.
>>
>> Social media abounded with outraged fans offering their condemnation:
>>
>> "Jeopardy! just had the most absurd question I have ever seen in my life,"
>> one user said.
>>
>> Another added, "'This is the most tasteless and insensitive answer I've ever
>> seen on any Jeopardy! What the hell were they thinking? Making light of that
>> tragic situation is repugnant. Damn."
>
>> "What the f***, Jeopardy! A Brian Laundrie question? Tasteless," one added.
>
>So now the creampuff crowd has placed any references to murderers in
>off-limits territory, too?

The reference to a murder that is relatively recent feels at odds with
the family friendly feel of the show. To me the question might have
been better phrased as "Florida is home to these long and toothy
critters." No need to even reference Laundrie.

>Would "This Florida sorority was the site of the culmination of serial
>killer Ted Bundy's murder spree..." also be verboten?

At least then there's a reason to reference Bundy, plus there's the
advantage of time helping to fade the memory of his spree.

>Or is "This Russian leader is responsible for the deaths of
>approximately 20 million of his own citizens..." too much for your feelz?
>
>> "Have you no soul? I can't believe this question got past your lawyers," one
>> person asked.
>
>Why would lawyers have any special expertise on matters of the soul?
>Very few of them even have one.

There's a question of whether the soul even exists but it's reasonable
for whomever reviews the questions to ask is the reference to Laundrie
necessary to the question being asked. I would say it isn't.

AWORio

Nov 15, 2022, 9:39:17 PM11/15/22
On Tuesday, November 15, 2022 at 1:26:17 PM UTC-5, Ubiquitous wrote:
> "Celebrity Jeopardy!" was harshly criticized for including a clue that
> referenced Brian Laundrie, the man who allegedly murdered Gabby Petito in the
> fall of 2021.

Zzzzz

Ubiquitous

Nov 16, 2022, 7:47:31 AM11/16/22
atr...@mac.com wrote:
> Ubiquitous <web...@polaris.net> wrote:

>> "Celebrity Jeopardy!" was harshly criticized for including a clue that
>> referenced Brian Laundrie, the man who allegedly murdered Gabby Petito
>> in the fall of 2021.
>>
>> Laundrie committed suicide weeks after Petito's body was found, with her
>> strangled in a campground near the Grand Teton mountains. He left a note
>> in which he confessed to killing his longtime girlfriend.
>>
>> "In 2021, fugitive Brian Laundrie ended his days in Fla's Myakkahatchee
>> Creek area, home to these long & toothy critters," the "Celebrity
>> Jeopardy!" clue stated, referring to alligators, as actors John Michael
>> Higgins, Wil Wheaton and Joel Kim Booster competed on the show.
>>
>> Social media abounded with outraged fans offering their condemnation:
>>
>> "Jeopardy! just had the most absurd question I have ever seen in my life,"
>> one user said.
>>
>> Another added, "'This is the most tasteless and insensitive answer I've
>> ever seen on any Jeopardy! What the hell were they thinking? Making light
>> of that tragic situation is repugnant. Damn."
>>
>> "What the f***, Jeopardy! A Brian Laundrie question? Tasteless," one added.
>
>So now the creampuff crowd has placed any references to murderers in
>off-limits territory, too?

Yeah, it's tasteless, but not something to get outraged over.