Game Shows In Movies

BBrown9326

Dec 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/9/98
Since there was a "Game Shows on Cartoons Post", This is sorta the same thing.
I only know one: 101 Dalmations: What's my Crime?-a WML? remake but only with 3
crime fighters asking 10 questions & if they're stumped, they win a trip after
they're time in Jail.

B.J. Brown

Phoebe9294

Dec 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/9/98
As I type, my husband is watching "White Men Can't Jump," which of course
features "a former disco queen" kicking butt on "Jeopardy!" with Johnny Gilbert
and Alex Trebec. And an earlier incarnation is played on an airplane with Art
Fleming in "Airplane 2: The Sequel."

Tzankoff

Dec 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/9/98
...and let's not forget the movie "It Happed To Jane" (in the 1960s...see
IMDB). It featured the IGA panel.
TONY TZANKOFF
Creator of the soon to be released TJW computer game

Send e-mail ~~> tzan...@geocities.com
My webesite ~~> http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Forum/3595/index.htm

Shawn Wilsie

Dec 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/9/98
My favorite game show within a movie is the brief appearance of the
late-GREAT Allen Ludden in "Futureworld" as a game show host at the very
start of the movie.

-Shawn

Yes I voted for Jesse Ventura and yes he was the best candidate.

http://www.mythicalcreatures.com/shrine

Joemuseum

Dec 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/9/98
This doesn't really qualify as a theatrical release but there is a wonderful
Jeopardy! send up in a Walt Disney World Epcot Center ride. Its in the Energy
pavillion and features Alex Trebek asking Ellen DeGeneres questions which are
all about energy in a dream. She does badly in the first portion and enlists
the aid of... I can't remember his name, who takes her back in time to the
dinasaur period during a commercial break. She comes back to ace the Double
Jeopardy! portion. The actual Jeopardy! set is used and looks absolutely
wonderful on the 4 or 5 giant screens. The whole thing is a class act.

Michael

Adam Seigel

Dec 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/9/98
Joemuseum <joem...@aol.com> wrote in article
<19981209122314...@ng-fi1.aol.com>...

Actually, it is not the actual J! set. If I remember correctly it is a
cheap copy of the 1991-96 set and when they show the other side of the
studio there is no audience.

--
Adam Seigel
http://www.geocities.com/TelevisionCity/Set/5304

John Isles, iv

Dec 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/9/98
I just saw that new Will Smith movie /Enemy of the State/-- liked it.

Back to the post: I did see a couple of game show clips:

-Debt: When Will's character was back at home.
-Win Ben Stein's Money: When Will's character sneaks into an Oriental
couple's hotel room.

--
From the computer of John Isles, iv-...@gte.net
(remove ".13" to reply)

"Read my lips: No new taxes. You know, it's funny, but if you JUST read
my lips, you'd think I'm saying, `No nude actresses'."
--Ben Stein, game show host/actor

The White House is a national monument, not a brothel.
Please support the impeachment of President Clinton.
Let's make the White House a family destination once again.

COHENZEE

Dec 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/9/98
>She does badly in the first portion and enlists
>the aid of... I can't remember his name, who takes her back in time to the
>dinasaur period during a commercial break.

It is Bill Nye the Science Guy. I love Jamie Lee Curtis in the little show
thing and Albert Einstein what a hoot. Final J! answer is What is brain power?

KAREN O'SHEA

Dec 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/9/98
The closing credits of Eddie Murphyi's "Vampire In Brooklyn" list the
late Ray Combs playing a game show host.

Karen O'Shea

DLettermen

Dec 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/10/98
And who can forget Richard Dawson in The Running Man! :)
Don't go there........

Jay Lewis

Dec 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/10/98
On 9 Dec 1998 04:36:31 GMT, bbrow...@aol.comEx-Spam (BBrown9326)
wrote:

>Since there was a "Game Shows on Cartoons Post", This is sorta the same thing.
>I only know one: 101 Dalmations: What's my Crime?-a WML? remake but only with 3
>crime fighters asking 10 questions & if they're stumped, they win a trip after
>they're time in Jail.

To find the answer to this question and a WHOLE LOT MORE, visit the
Game Shows in Other Media FAQ at
http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/8580/gsiomfaq.htm

-----
If loving gameshows makes me a loser...then
I'm proud to be one of the biggest losers EVER!

Michael Stokes

Dec 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/10/98
I recall a couple of game shows in movies.
The first is called "Twice in a lifetime" (I believe) starring Gene
Hackman and Ellen Burstyn as a couple with marital problems with
Ann-Margret complicating things. Anyway, this couple and their family
are seen watching a lot of TPiR.
Second, if anybody saw "Twilight Zone-The Movie", you'll recall a
segment called "Kick the Can" where the old folks at the home were
watching segments of the original Jeopardy! with Art Fleming.

This is Michael Stokes speaking for Michael Stokes.
A HARRY AND JUNE STOKES
accident while watching T.V. PRODUCTION!

scArA

Dec 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/12/98
Jeopardy! was in one of my favorite movies, "Groundhog Day," by Harold
Ramis. Bill Murray plays a weatherman who is forever stuck in the same day.
One day he decides to just stay home and watch TV. He is doing well on the
"Rivers" category on J! and the senior citizens even applaud him. Great ref.

Computer Surplus Outlet

Dec 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/15/98
Don't forget the show "Fantasy Island", (the Malcolm Mcdowell version) that had
an episode where this woman's fantasy was to know everything. She was on "Jeopardy" hosted by Mr. Roarke.

Chico Alexander

Dec 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/15/98
Anyone see Ghost Dad? (if you have USA, you must have seen it about a
kajllion times) It has a clip of Double Dare 86... Just when Bill
Cosby's character arrives after being killed.

Chico **macrosonic**

Chico (MegaBlue 3-3-5) http://www.angelfire.com/ca/soupzx appears
courtesy of Zeromusic Records... watch out for the new CD ^_^

AlfonzoS

Dec 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/20/98
In "Network" you can glimpse "The Magnificent Marble Machine."

Alfonzo Smith

RutgersGym

Dec 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/20/98
"Blockbusters" is in "Great Expectations".

J.F.

Card Shark

Dec 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/20/98
On 20 Dec 1998 18:45:41 GMT, rutge...@aol.computer (RutgersGym)
wrote:

>"Blockbusters" is in "Great Expectations".
>
>J.F.

So that's the show that is in the beginning of Great Expectations. I
thought it was Hot Potato, but I couldn't quite tell. I could see Bill
Cullen, but wasn't sure. I remember when I saw it, my girlfriend and
her roomate turned to me and said, "Quick, Mr. Game Show, what show is
it?" and I didn't know.

Card Shark

Dec 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/20/98
On 20 Dec 1998 13:38:25 GMT, alfo...@aol.com (AlfonzoS) wrote:

>In "Network" you can glimpse "The Magnificent Marble Machine."
>
>Alfonzo Smith

Other movies with game shows that I can remember are:

Flight of the Navigator: There are clips from the Tom Kennedy Price Is
Right

Splash: Darryl Hannah is watching the $25,000 Pyramid at one point.

First Born: clips from TPIR (Bob making his entrance)

Inner Space: Martin Short watches Scrabble at one point

Cable Guy: during the opening segment when he is flipping through
channels, there is a clip from Press Your Luck

Groundhog Day: Bill Murray watches Jeopardy and knows all the answers
(or questions for that matter)

Serial Mom: Wheel of Fortune

White Men Can't Jump: Rosie Perez was on Jeopardy

any others?

JRohm68012

Dec 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/21/98
>Other movies with game shows that I can remember are:
>
>Flight of the Navigator: There are clips from the Tom Kennedy Price Is
>Right
>
>Splash: Darryl Hannah is watching the $25,000 Pyramid at one point.
>
>First Born: clips from TPIR (Bob making his entrance)
>
>Inner Space: Martin Short watches Scrabble at one point
>
>Cable Guy: during the opening segment when he is flipping through
>channels, there is a clip from Press Your Luck
>
>Groundhog Day: Bill Murray watches Jeopardy and knows all the answers
>(or questions for that matter)
>
>Serial Mom: Wheel of Fortune
>
>White Men Can't Jump: Rosie Perez was on Jeopardy
>
>any others?

Well this isn't a movie but in an episode of "Our House" I can recall seeing a
couple clips from "$1,000,000 Chance of a Lifetime"

John Brocato

Dec 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/23/98
Doesn't the Illinois Lottery $100,000 Fortune Hunt game appear in Home Alone 2
with some silly title like the Ding Dang Dong Game?

John Brocato
s94...@hotmail.com

SUPERPHIL1

Dec 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/24/98
Yeah something like that there was also a reference to Press your luck in The
Cable guy where a contestant screams after stopping on $4000 and a spin I
think Bob Eubanks was in that scene and Jaye P Morgan was too And Rain man had
Sale of the century, Pyramid, Jeopardy and wheel of fortune in them too! I
thought it was hilarious seeing Dustin Hoffman as rain man doing the wheel of
fortune introduction. Isn't the match game theme in the soundtrack of Private
Parts?

Phil

Jay Lewis

Dec 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/24/98
On Wed, 23 Dec 1998 15:51:45 -0500, John Brocato <s94...@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>Doesn't the Illinois Lottery $100,000 Fortune Hunt game appear in Home Alone 2
>with some silly title like the Ding Dang Dong Game?

As much as I hate to keep plugging my site...you can find the answer
to this and TONS more at the GameShows in Other Media FAQ (GSiOMFAQ)
at http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/8580/gsiomfaq.htm

-----
Keep your stick on the ice

Chuck Narz

Dec 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/24/98
John Brocato wrote:

> Doesn't the Illinois Lottery $100,000 Fortune Hunt game appear in Home Alone 2
> with some silly title like the Ding Dang Dong Game?

Yep! It was actually called "Celebrity Ding-Dang-Dong", Bob Eubanks was
the host (you can her him do a plug for the Plaza Hotel at the end of
the "show"), and Rip Taylor was among the celebs!

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

Jekalb329

Dec 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/24/98
>> Doesn't the Illinois Lottery $100,000 Fortune Hunt game appear in Home
>Alone 2
>> with some silly title like the Ding Dang Dong Game?
>
> "Celebrity Ding-Dang-Dong", Bob Eubanks was
>the host (you can her him do a plug for the Plaza Hotel at the end of
>the "show"), and Rip Taylor was among the celebs!

And so was Gong Show panelist Jaye P. Morgan. She was the one with white hair.
She looked about 70-years-old in that scene.

MJsaints

Dec 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/26/98
To add a more contemporary note to this thread, today I saw the British film
"Little Voice," and there is a brief glimpse of "Bruce's Price Is Right" (with
a credit to Yorskhire Television at the end). Look for the scene where Brenda
Blethyn and her very quiet, very fat friend are watching TV after Little
Voice's no-show at the club.

In the few seconds they show, we see a board with what looks like a Showcase
bid ("ARP," "Your Bid" and "Difference"). Somehow, I thought that "Bruce's
PIR" did the same Range Game Showcase as the 1994 syndicated version in the
U.S. Am I wrong?

Mark Jeffries--all play, all day (Don't I wish!)

Chris M. Dickson

Dec 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/26/98
In article <19981225234137...@ng-cg1.aol.com>, MJsaints
<mjsa...@aol.comNOSPAM> writes

>In the few seconds they show, we see a board with what looks like a Showcase
>bid ("ARP," "Your Bid" and "Difference"). Somehow, I thought that "Bruce's
>PIR" did the same Range Game Showcase as the 1994 syndicated version in the
>U.S. Am I wrong?

Err... essentially the same gameplay, just with a different appearance.
The main difference is that players get to say (as in speak) where they
want the bottom end of their range to be, instead of having to pull a
lever to stop the little doo-hicky sliding up the scale. ("Remember, you
can be as much as <x> thousand pounds under, but not one penny over.")
The other difference is that the ranges available are two, three, four
and five thousand pounds (one thousand was also available in the first
series in '95, I think) and that selection between them is done on-
screen, rather unconvincingly, by stopping a series of flashing figures
on a video wall, rather than off-screen.

Happy St. Stephen's Day!
Chris

--

Jim

Dec 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/26/98
MJsaints wrote:

> To add a more contemporary note to this thread, today I saw the British film
> "Little Voice," and there is a brief glimpse of "Bruce's Price Is Right" (with

I FOUND ANOTHER GAME SHOW IN A MOVIE
In "The People v. Larry Flint", The Joker's Wild is shown. It's the
mid-80's and Larry has caused quite a stir by refusing to divulge the
source of a videotape he has allegedly showing a drug deal between
government officials and John DeLorean. Larry is in his bedroom waiting
for the feds to come and get him and take him to jail. In his bedroom,
he has three televisions - one showing each major network. He is quite
happy two of the three have interrupted network programming to discuss
his case. The third, however (CBS) is showing TJW (with the neon lights
around the slot machine.) They show the three TV's two with the front
of Larry's home and the third showing a spin: US Constitution - Joker -
Joker (a $200 triple). Larry is mad - he wants to be on all three.
They show again the end of a game and the winning a round music is
audible. Flint yells to the TV, "Get your priorities straight" as they
continue to blow him off. Finally, the third tv cuts to his story too,
and Flint is elated.
I like the line about "Get your priorities straight", as I have
complained in the past about local preemptions of game shows for local
stories. Larry and I may have different priorities some of the time.

DHutch 457

Dec 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/27/98
>White Men Can't Jump: Rosie Perez was on Jeopardy
>
>any others?

"Twilight Zone-The Movie" had the old version of Jeopardy with Art Fleming in
one of it's stories.

AlfonzoS

Dec 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/27/98
Here's another one: "Shallow Grave", a British movie, one character watches the
opening of a game show called "Lose A Million." I have never heard of the show
but the producers of the game are given a courtesy during the credits. Ergo,
the show must be real.

Alfonzo Smith

SUPERPHIL1

Dec 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/27/98
Did anyone see the original airplane with Art Fleming playing a game of
Jeopardy on the plane? Or how about Adventures in Babysitting when the price
is right (with Bob Barker's black hair) was on in the background

Phil

TGBromley

Dec 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/28/98
Sayeth Superphil1:

>Did anyone see the original airplane with Art Fleming playing a game of
>Jeopardy on the plane?

Wasn't that "Airplane II: The Sequel"? Been a while since I've watched either
of these, but it seems to me after someone tells Striker "You're putting all
these people in jeopardy!" (or similar phrase), Fleming turns up onboard with
the category being "Space Shuttle Disasters" and the answer "The Mayflower"

Someone will no doubt correct me if I'm wrong...
Tom Bromley
tgbr...@aol.com

Jax

Dec 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/28/98
In article <19981227173842...@ng-cc1.aol.com>, super...@aol.com
says...

>Did anyone see the original airplane with Art Fleming playing a game of
>Jeopardy on the plane?
That was Airplane 2!.. when they were on the space shuttle. The "contestant"
took Air Shuttle Disasters for $40. . . Art said "The answer is.. the
mayflower!" which was the name of the ship

- jaxxy

Jay Lewis

Dec 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/29/98

As always, this and many MANY others can be found at the exhaustive
(and constantly growing) GameShows in Other Media FAQ at

Phoebe9294

Jan 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/9/99
I forget if this was already mentioned in this thread, but I just saw
"Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Sex but were afraid to ask" in
which one of the skits was a "What's My Line?" spoof (with a touch of IGAS
thrown in for good measure) called "What's My Perversion?", hosted by Jack
Barry and with a panel of Pamela Mason, Regis Philbin, Toni Holt and Robert Q.
Lewis. One contestant says his perversion is exposing himself on subways, and
in an act-out-your-fantasy segment, Pam ties up a rabbi who is whipped by a
third-rate model while his wife is made to eat pork at his feet.
Eyeball-rolling, but one of the better skits in a wildly uneven movie that
saves most of its best for last.
WMP? probably doesn't count as an actual game show in a movie, but as a WML?
spoof it's terribly silly and amusing -- and Q has more hair than I've ever
seen on him.
So who exactly WAS Toni Holt?

"I don't know what I said, but it came out awfully well."

-- Robert Q. Lewis after pulling a John Charles Daly on "The Name's the Same"
(1954)

SUPERPHIL1

Jan 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/9/99
I can't belive this wasn't already posted but does anyone remember Bob
Eubanks's infamous appearance in 1988's Roger and Me? When he was doing a
remote newlywed game from Flint Michigan? If you can't stand Bob Eubanks as
much I do you will ABSOLUTELY LOVE his appearance. Listen for his Jewish jokes
BLAH!!

Phil

jmfabi...@gmail.com

Nov 1, 2021, 3:28:08 PM11/1/21
On Sunday, December 27, 1998 at 3:00:00 AM UTC-5, DHutch 457 wrote:
> >White Men Can't Jump: Rosie Perez was on Jeopardy
> >
> >any others?
> >
> "Twilight Zone-The Movie" had the old version of Jeopardy with Art Fleming in
> one of it's stories.
Which is appropriate because John Landis = the human incarnation of jeopardy.