JS Millionaire 6/11,13,15/2000

Steve Jeremiah Williams-Soria (Jeremy Soria)

Jun 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/16/00
I've been out of town for the past few days (Sunday-Tuesday), following WCW on
its mid-Atlantic swing through the area. Now that that's over, let's catch up.
A lot of the periphery will be cut out here. We're down to the nitty gritty in
this triple update.

Oh - someone suggested that I do what we in the wrestling business call a
RETRO RANT. We'll talk more about that later around the time they start
rebroadcasting the first seven episodes of Millionaire.

WHO WANTS TO BE A MILLIONAIRE?
Sunday, June 11, 2000

PREVIOUSLY ON MILLIONAIRE:

Tom O'Brian is looking ABC in the eyes. First one to blink loses. Will either
one blink? It's all next on:

WHO WANTS TO BE A MILLIONAIRE?

Tom O'Brian has found it nerve-wracking, but it's been a big experience.

Rundown:
Tom is at $500,000. He is ONE question away from the Million.
He will take home at least $32,000. No LifeLines left.

For ONE MILLION DOLLARS:
Before the American colonies switched to the Gregorian calendar, on what date
did their new year start?
A. March 25 B. July 1 C. September 25 D. December 1

If he were to answer this now...

It would be a complete guess. He has no idea as to what the answer is.

He will take the money.

His total guess would have been A.

And...

It would have been...

an EXTREMELY LUCKY GUESS. A is the answer.

But he still has FIVE HUNDRED THOUSAND DOLLARS!

Explanation - before the colonies switched, they based their year on the
Julian calendar, which started on March 25.

FASTEST FINGER FIRST: Place these movies in order according to the time in
which they are set, EARLIEST first.
A. Erin Brockovich B. U-571 C. The Doors D. Gladiator

Correct answer: D-B-C-A
5 of 10 right. Winner: Allen Harris, 3.10 seconds!

Allen Harris is from Louisville, KY, studying law in GWU in Washington, DC.
His parents are here with him. He's single. And he once hitchhiked in Las
Vegas.

For $100: In the nursery rhyme that starts "Ruba dub dub, three men in a tub"
which is not one of the three men?
D - Webmaster.

For $200: What is the nickname for a small purselike bag that is belted around
the waist?
B - Fanny pack.

For $300: Bloodhounds are known for their acute sense of what?
C - Smell.

For $500: What is the name of the official in charge of a US prison?
B - Warden.

For $1000: Pepperoni and kielbasa are two types of what food?
C - Sausage.

For $2000:
On the current version of "Hollywood Squares", who is the center square?
D - Whoopi Goldberg.

For $4000:
What does the "No. 2" on a No. 2 pencil indicate?
A - Hardness.

For $8000:
Who pointed the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel in the Vatican?
A - Michelangelo.

For $16,000:
Literary sleuth Sherlock Holmes lived on what street?
B - Baker Street.

For $32,000:
Which can be found in all of these four US military branches (Army, Navy, Air
Force, Marines)?
C - Captain. He has THIRTY-TWO THOUSAND DOLLARS!

For $64,000:
From what country's controversial case did the phrase [NB: affecting an
Australian accent] "a dingo's got my baby" originate?
B - Australia.

For $125,000:
After what international incident was a hotline installed between the US and
Soviet governments?
A. U2 spy plane incident B. Yalta Conference
C. Cuban missile crisis D. Launching of Sputnik

The 50/50 leaves:
B. Yalta Conference C. Cuban missile crisis

He chooses C and wins ONE HUNDRED TWENTY-FIVE THOUSAND DOLLARS!

13 Club Time!
For $250,000:
Who was the first US president to have his term of office limited by the
Constitution?
D - Dwight Eisenhower...
... and HE'S IN THIRTEEN CLUB!

14 Club now...
For $500,000:
Which author's first and only novel was awarded the Pulitzer Prize in fiction?
A. Harper Lee B. Ralph Ellison
C. John Kennedy Toole D. Marjorie Rawlings

We're calling Betty for the PAF...
... Allen asks, "Is _To Kill a Mockingbird_ the only novel Harper Lee wrote?"
to which Betty says, "I think so, but I'm not sure." Time expires.

Hmmm. He thinks it's A for certain... but let's see if we can ATA...

80-6-5-9

They COULD be telling him something - BUT - their votes may have been
influenced by his deliberation and his PAF.

He can't risk $218,000 on this question - he'll take the money.

Had he stuck with A - he would have been absolutely right.

He still has TWO HUNDRED FIFTY THOUSAND DOLLARS!

FFF: Actresses - first Best Actress win - EARLIEST first.
A. Sally Field B. Emma Thompson C. Helen Hunt D. Marlee Martin

Correct answer: A-D-B-C
Just one winner of nine - Dianne Buchek, 4.08 seconds!

Dianne Buchek's from Harrisburg, PA.
She and her husband work with the PA State Police.

For $100:
In the US Army recruitment poster, what does Uncle Sam say?
C - "I Want You".

For $200:
According to its classic slogan, what fast food is "finger lickin' good"?
C - Kentucky Fried Chicken.

For $300:
In a game of ping-pong, what do you use to strike the ball?
B - Paddle.

For $500:
Where in a house would you typically find linoleum?
C - Floor.

For $1000:
Shakespeare's well-known line compares jealousy to what kind of monster?
B - Green-eyed. The $1000 is safe.

For $2000: What US president would later renege on his promise, "Read my lips:
No New Taxes"?
D - George Bush. She burns up ATA in the process (80).

For $4000: By definition, a tithe to the church means donating what percent of
your income?
A - 10.

For $8000: What is the name for the edible center of an artichoke?
C - Heart.

For $16,000:
The Donner Pass, commemorating the 1840s doomed party of westbound settlers,
is located where?
A. California B. Wyoming C. Idaho D. Utah

We gotta PAF on this one... it will be Jim, her brother-in-law.
He thinks it's California - he's pretty sure.

Well, it's going to be a $7000 wrong answer - or a $16,000 right one.
She goes with A...

... and she's RIGHT!

For $32,000:
On which TV comedy series did Jim Carrey regularly play "Fire Marshal Bill"?
D - In Living Color. She has THIRTY-TWO THOUSAND DOLLARS!

For $64,000:
Why wasn't there a World Series in 1994?
A. Earthquake B. Players' strike C. Gulf War D. Lockout

The 50/50 leaves: B. Players' strike D. Lockout

She chooses B ...

... and wins SIXTY-FOUR THOUSAND DOLLARS!

For $125,000:
In the 1989 film "Roger & Me", what businessman does filmmaker Michael Moore
try to interview?
A. DuPont president B. Microsoft CEO
C. GM chairman D. Xerox president

She is not sure. She will take the money.

The correct answer is...

... C. She takes home $64,000!

FFF: Asian capitals, WEST-EAST.
A. Tokyo B. Beijing C. Seoul D. Bangkok

Correct answer: D-B-C-A
2 of 8. Winner: Bob House, 5.85 seconds.

For $100: A children's bank is traditionally in the shape of what animal?
B - Piggy.

For $200: A profile is which view of the face?
C - Side.

*AH-WHOOOOO!*

WHO WANTS TO BE A MILLIONAIRE?
Tuesday, June 13, 2000

Bob House is a high-school teacher of World History. It's Gay, Georgia, that's
the hometown. His wife's here with us. He met her in the Army.

For $300:
Writer Dorothy Parker said, "Men seldom make passes at girls who" do what?
C - Wear glasses.

For $500: Fill in the title song blank:
"How Much is that Doggy in the _____?"
A - Window.

For $1000: What is another word for your epidermis?
B - Skin. The $1000 is safe.

For $2000:
In the '90s Diet Pepsi ads, who sang "You got the right one baby, uh-huh!"?
D - Ray Charles.

For $4000:
What kind of store did FW Woolworth creat?
B - 5-and-dime.

For $8000:
Where did Robert E. Lee surrender to US Grant, ending the US Civil War?
D - Appomattox Court House.

For $16,000:
The Black Hills mountain range is located primarily in which US state?
C - South Dakota. North Dakota wasn't one of the choices.

For $32,000:
Best selling author Suze Orman writes books giving advice mainly on what
topic?
He doesn't know. Let's ATA:

A. Personal finance B. Marriage C. Weight loss D. Religion
ATA says... 64-22-12-2

He goes with A...
... and wins THIRTY-TWO THOUSAND DOLLARS!

For $64,000:
Of these listed, which actor did NOT appear in ANY of the Rocky movies?
B - Lou Ferrigno.

For $125,000: What Roman emperor ordered the construction of 73-mile wall
across northern England?
He knows this, he teaches world history. A - Hadrian.

For $250,000: In 1989, playwright Vaclav Havel became president of what former
Communist country?
C - Czechoslovakia. Again, his world history knowledge has paid off!
HE'S IN THE 13 CLUB!

For $500,000: What do the six flags historically stand for in the Six Flags
amusement park chain?

He's nodding his head. He lives in Georgia, near one of the Six Flags parks.

A. Pioneer Trails B. Governments of Texas
C. Classic roller coasters D. Native American tribes

IMMEDIATELY he says B - Governments of Texas.

And...

Immediately...

He has...

FIVE HUNDRED THOUSAND DOLLARS!

The MDQ is next!

[If you missed last August's premiere series, catch it again! It will air
starting June 20 on ABC.]

Regis: I've got the check right here. Bob House, $500,000.
Bob: It doesn't say "Sheila House," does it?

Once again... The Million Dollar Question:
Which of these men does NOT have a chemical element named for him?
A. Albert Einstein B. Niels Bohr
C. Issac Newton D. Enrico Fermi

The 50/50 leaves:

A. Albert Einstein C. Issac Newton

The perfect Phone a Friend - Donna Cates.
She is a science teacher at his high school.

She says Newton.

"She's a genius. If it's wrong, I'm the goat, and that'd be baa-aa-aa-dd!"

Well. He's going with her, Newton.

And yes, that's his final answer.

Well...

He lucked out with three world history questions, two of them in the top five
tier...

He lucked out with a Six Flags question, considering there's a Six Flags in
Georgia...

And he had the perfect Phone-a-Friend for his MDQ.

Donna Cates... gave him the answer of Newton.

And we find out...

that... she...

was...

THE PERFECT PHONE-A-FRIEND!
BOB HOUSE IS A <<MILLIONAIRE>> !!!!!

25 Years of teaching, all paid in a night's work.
And Sheila's got a new car coming for her!

FFF: Place these foods in the order they were first introduced, starting with
the MOST RECENT.
A. Healthy Choice foods B. Campbell's Soup
C. Cap'n Crunch D. Spam

Correct answer: A-C-D-B
3 of 9. Winner: Jason McClung, 6.42 seconds.

Jason's from Sommersville, WV. He's 24 years old, and just now starting
college. He works at a motel, and his parents are here.

For $100: What is the main ingredient of toast?
C - Bread.

For $200: Which name is a verb meaning "to tease"?
B - Josh.

For $300: According to the holiday song, who comes "hoppin' down the bunny
trail"?
B - Peter Cottontail.

For $500: By definition, which of these relatives MUST be male?
A - Nephew.

For $1000: A widow's peak is found on what part of the body?
B - Forehead. The $1000 is safe.

For $2000: The TV show Wheel of Fortune is based on what parlor game?
D - Hangman.

For $4000: For which of these rock groups was Boy George the lead singer?
C - Culture Club.

For $8000: Chartreuse is a shade of what color?
A. Green B. Red C. Blue D. Brown
ATA: 54-31-12-3
A - Green...
... is the RIGHT answer! He's got $8000.

For $16,000:
Which witch was the FIRST one killed in the 1939 film in "The Wizard of Oz"?
B - Witch of the East.

For $32,000:
What virus, known to cause hemorrhagic fever, is the subject of the '94 book
"The Hot Zone"?
A. Encephalitis B. E. coli C. Ebola D. Rabies
C - Ebola is his final answer...

... and he has THIRTY-TWO THOUSAND DOLLARS!

For $64,000: According to the US Consitution, who is currently second in line
of presidential succession?
A. Janet Reno B. Madeleine Albright C. Strom Thurmond D. Dennis Hastert

The 50/50 leaves: B. Madeleine Albright D. Dennis Hastert
(He's lucked out.)

He chooses D - and his free shot goes in effortlessly - he has SIXTY-FOUR
THOUSAND DOLLARS!

For $125,000: For the past 10 years, the male winner of the Boston Marathon
has hailed from what country?
A. Kenya B. Germany C. South Africa D. Ghana

We're going to PAF - Jeff...
He says A. It's just a guess.

He will say A.

He locks it in...

... and ...

well...

He has ONE HUNDRED TWENTY-FIVE THOUSAND DOLLARS!

For $250,000:
Alcatraz Island was named after which birds, first inhabitants of the island?
A. Puffins B. Swallows C. Pelicans D. Sea gulls

He takes the money. The correct answer....

.... C.

He has $125,000!

So far on this episode, we've given away $1,125,000...
and over the past two episodes, $1,939,000.

FFF: US Supreme Court associate justices - order appointed, EARLIEST first:
A. David Souter B. Stephen Breyer
C. Ruth Bader Ginsburg D. John Paul Stevens

Correct answer: D-A-C-B
3 of 8. Winner, Kraig Norris, 6.53 seconds!

For $100: According to a popular saying, "When the going gets tough, the
tough" do what?
B - Get Going.

For $200: Who is "The Donald"?
C - Donald Trump.

*AH-WHOOO!*

WHO WANTS TO BE A MILLIONAIRE?
Thursday, June 15, 2000

Kraig Norris is from Edmonds, Washington.
He is an HR recruiter in between jobs.

For $300: Who is most likely to use a gavel during work hours?
B - Judge.

For $500: What human body part is also found on a type of orange?
D - Navel.

For $1000:
What can you discern by counting the rings on the interior of a tree trunk?
A - Age. The thousand is safe.

For $2000: In 1980, who created and launched CNN?
C - Ted Turner.

For $4000: Sinn Fein is the political wing of what organization?
A - Irish Republican Army.

For $8000: What river does the Broadway showtune "Ol' Man River" refer to?
D - Mississippi.

For $16,000: Where's your patella?
A - Knee. He ATA to make sure (64).

For $32,000: Since the 1940s, the company formerly known as "Kelly Girls" has
been most closely associated with what kind of work?
B - Office temp. He has THIRTY-TWO THOUSAND DOLLARS!

For $64,000: What is currently the most populous nation in which Spanish is
the OFFICIAL language?
A. Argentina B. Brazil C. Spain D. Mexico

He is going to say D.

That's his final answer.

He had $32,000 - he could have walked away.

Well... that money -

is now doubled - he has SIXTY-FOUR THOUSAND DOLLARS!

For $125,000: In Poe's short story "The Tell-Tale Heart", where does the
narrator hide his victim's body?
A. Under the floor B. In a grandfather clock
C. Behind a dresser D. In a flower bed

The 50/50 leaves:
A. Under the floor B. In a grandfather clock

Looks like we're going to Phone a Friend. It's Mark, a lit professor.
He immediately says "under the floor."

He locks in A...
... and wins ONE HUNDRED TWENTY-FIVE THOUSAND DOLLARS!

For $250,000:
The North American Vexillogical Association is concerned with what?
A. Postcards B. Puzzles C. Flags D. Coins

He is vacillating on whether to go on or to take the money.

He is going to guess B.
It's his gut instinct... he says B...

... and ...

His 13 Club membership...

has just been...

REJECTED. The correct answer is C.

He still has $32,000!

FFF: Place these music performer in order of their BIRTH, EARLIEST first.
A. Enya B. Sting C. Cher D. Eminem

Correct answer: C-B-A-D
3 of 10... winner: Davin Swanson, 3.79 seconds!

Davin is from Atlanta as a graduate student in Mechanical Engineering. His
girlfriend's here, sorry guys.

For $100: Where would monks most likely reside?
B - Abbey.

For $200: Someone moving forward with a series of alternating hops and steps
is doing what?
C - Skipping.

For $300: According to a '88 #1 song by Poison, "ev'ry rose has its" what?
A - Thorn.

For $500: OPEC sets the price of what commodity?
C - Oil.

For $1000: Newspaper columnist Heloise suggests putting what in the
refrigerator to absorb food odors?
B - Baking soda. The $1000 is safe.

For $2000: Which ORBITS THE EARTH?
D - Moon.

For $4000: What was the Skipper's nickname for Gilligan on TV's "Gilligan's
Island"?
A - "Little Buddy".

For $8000:
The home movie camera of Abraham Zapruder captured what historical event?
B - John Kennedy's assassination. We ATA to make sure (71).

For $16,000:
In the Samuel poem, there was "Water Water everywhere/nor any drop to" what?
C - Drink.

For $32,000: In the '99 film "Tarzan" what actress supplied the voice for the
character Jane?
A. Cameron Diaz B. Minnie Driver C. Courtney Cox D. Winona Ryder

The 50/50 leaves: B. Minnie Driver C. Courteney Cox

B is his guess...

... and it's worth...

THIRTY-TWO THOUSAND DOLLARS!

For $64,000: Which US state is home to the Olympic mountain range?
D - Washington.

For $125,000:
For over 10 years, best-selling author John Irving also worked as what?
A. Wrestling coach B. Hotel owner
C. Orphanage counselor D. Granite dealer

We PAF - Linda's dad Joe.
Joe is not sure. He guesses C.

Looks like he's going to go for it. He will guess B.

B was his first impression.

This is his third one in a row.

That's his final answer...

... and ....

it looks like his PAF...

... was wrong ...

... and that Davin's answer ...

... was ...

... also wrong. The correct answer is A. Who knew? I certainly didn't!

He still has $32,000.

FFF: Michael Douglas movies, first release, EARLIEST first.
A. The American President B. The China Syndrome
C. Basic Instinct D. Wall Street

Correct answer: B-D-C-A
5 of 9 right. Winner, Tom Creekmore, 5.59 seconds!

Tom's from Andrew, NC. He's a project manager for a tech company.

For $100: What is the name of the utensil commonly used for eating soup.
C - SPOOOOOOON!

For $200: A state of restlessness and crabbiness due to extended confinement
is called what?
A - Cabin fever.

For $300: Which ball is inflated with air?
C - Basketball.

For $500: In the modern English alphabet, how many formal lowercase letters
are completed with a dot?
B - 2 (i and j).

For $1000: Where would you wear a mortarboard?
D - On your head. The $1000 is safe.

*AH-WHOOO!*

Phones reopen on (I believe) Tuesday at 6pm ET. Stay tuned for details.
Next show, the last one before we go into Retro Rants, is on Sunday, 9/8C.

If you'd like to see Who Wants To Be a Millionaire? in person, and you're
going to be in the New York City area, call this number... 212/735-5369.

If you want some practice being on the show, play online at abc.go.com, or
play the computer game, or get the quiz book! And now, you can play the board
game, too!

WHO WANTS TO BE A MILLIONAIRE? was created by David Briggs with Michael
Whitehill and Steve Knight for Celador Productions, and is produced in the
United States by Valleycrest Productions for Buena Vista Television.

MILLIONAIRE?: Copyright 2000
Valleycrest Productions and Buena Vista Television.
This Update is Copyright 2000 Jeremy Soria.
All Rights Reserved.

All game material contained herein remains the property of Valleycrest and
BVTV. Opinions expressed in this update are solely those of the compiler.

From Virginia Beach - Good night everybody!

- Jeremy Observe the Day of Compassion - Friday June 16

--
jesoria75 (at) | "You treat me like a dog and you expect me to | AUSTIN
mindspring (dot) com | smile? You remind me of a JACKASS~!" - SCSA | 3:16

Andre, Kerry, Eddie, Flyin' Brian, Gorilla Monsoon, Owen Hart ... Sigh ...