JS Millionaire 1/27

Steve Jeremiah Williams-Soria (Jeremy Soria)

Jan 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/28/00
WHO WANTS TO BE A MILLIONAIRE?
Thursday, January 27, 2000

PREVIOUSLY ON MILLIONAIRE:

"What part of 'that's my final answer' don't you understand? Just tell me!"
"You're wrong!"
Chicago's Very Own (tm WGN) Kurt Warkenthein takes home $32,000.

And Drew, $64,000 may get you a new car and all college expenses paid, but it
won't pay for a more interesting personality.

Right now, Jeff Grizer has answered 7 questions correctly.

How much more money can we get for our contestants? We will find out
tonight...

It's January 27 - and it's time to play
WHO WANTS TO BE A MILLIONAIRE?

With all three LifeLines intact, we ask this question for $4000:
In "The Green Mile" what is the occupation of Tom Hanks's character?
He hasn't seen the movie yet, so he has to ATA - and they give him 87%
certainty that it's prison guard for $4000.

For $8000:
In January of this year, who replaced Bill Gates as the CEO of Microsoft?
Immediately answers Steve Ballmer for $8000.

For $16,000:
Which band reported Ticketmaster to the US Justice Dept. for monopolizing the
ticketing industry?

A. Rage Against the Machine
B. Red Hot Chili Peppers
C. Nirvana
D. Pearl Jam

The 50/50 leaves:

C. Nirvana
D. Pearl Jam

He chooses Pearl Jam and wins $16,000.

For a guaranteed $32,000:
What runner cheated to win the Boston Marathon by joining the race less than a
mile from the finish?
He remembers Rosie Ruiz (it ain't Julie Krone, she was a jockey) and wins
THIRTY-TWO THOUSAND DOLLARS!

Whose Line Is It Anyway? is STILL on TV tonight - watch Clive and the gang on
Comedy Central!

Jeff is in college at Washington University at St. Louis.

For $64,000:
In what state is the nation's highest ZIP Code - 99950 - located?
A. Alaska B. Hawaii C. California D. Washington

Jeff Phones his Friend Charlie for this question.
Charlie is not sure and can't give a guess by the time expires.

He will take a free shot at Alaska...

And it goes up, up, up....

And...

SWISH! SIXTY-FOUR THOUSAND DOLLARS!

Can we get him to $125,000? Here it is:
Besides Kennedy, who's the only other president buried in Arlington National
Cemetery?
A. Wilson B. Taft C. Truman D. Eisenhower

With $64,000 in the bank but no definite guess, and a new car on the way,
he'll cash out.

His guess was Wilson - the correct answer was Taft.

He's got $64,000!

FASTEST FINGER FIRST: Place these actors in the geographic order of their
birth country, starting in the US and going east.

A. Roberto Benigni B. Sean Connery C. Paul Hogan D. Matt Damon

Correct order: DBAC
Winner/time: Only two people got it right - the faster one was...
Bob Bass, 4.80 seconds!

Bob Bass is from Chappaqua, NY. One 18-month-old, and another one on the way.
This is the second time he's on the show - he was on in November.

For $100:
Which of the following phrases completes the US's national anthem?
He says "home of the brave" for $100.

For $200:
Which of the following groupls ofpeop[le could most correctly be called
thespians?
Actors, not female homosexuals, for $200.

For $300:
According to "The Music Man" how many trombones "led the big parade"?
76 for $300.

For $500:
Which describes your maternal grandmother's relationship to you?
"Mother's mother" for $500.

For $1000:
What performance sport includes moves such as the Axel, Lutz, Salchow?
He says ice skating and wins $1000.

For $2000:
What city serves as the backdrop for the Drew Carey show?
He says Cleveland for $2000.

For $4000:
Which is concerned with the behavior of materials at very low temperatures?
He says cryogenics and wins $4000. (Watch "Demolition Man.")

For $8000:
In what movie does a character quiz his fiancee on the Baltimore Colts before
agreeing to marry her?
A. Avalon B. Broadcast News C. Diner D. Hairspray

He goes with Diner...

and...

he has...

$8000.

For $16,000:
What are author Richard Adams' characters Dandelion, General Woundwort and
Bigwig?
He says rabbits... and...

He is...

.... RIGHT! $16,000.

For $32,000:
Michelangelo's sculpture of David is located in what city?
A. Rome B. Venice C. Milan D. Florence

ATA (not really a good move to use this one first) -

17-15-9-59

But the Audience is almost always right, and he says Florence...

... and ...

it looks like....

he's at....

THIRTY-TWO THOUSAND DOLLARS!

For $64,000:
What name was given to heirest Patty Hearst by her kidnappers?
A. Tania B. Tammy C. Terry D. Talia

He'll try for the free shot. His free shot at Tania...

heads toward the basket....

and...

BOUNCE....

SWISH. SIXTY-FOUR THOUSAND DOLLARS!

For $125,000:
Who was the youngest US president at his inauguration?
A. Clinton B. Kennedy C. Grant D. Teddy Roosevelt

He'll take another shot - this one will be costly if he misses...

His guess is Kennedy... educated guess....

and once again... Bounce....

Bounce.....

Thunk. It's Teddy Roosevelt (by one year).

He has $32,000.

FFF: Place these phrases inorder of when they first became popular:
A. Me Generation B. Beat Generation C. Lost Generation D. Generation X

(Nick is just itching for a reply here!)

Correct answer: C-B-A-D
Winner/Time: Dan Doody, 6.31 seconds! He's from near Seattle, WA, he's a temp
secretary, and he gets a lot of jokes about his name. :)

For $100:
According to a proverb, what do April showers bring forth?
May flowers for $100.

For $200:
In "Peanuts" what object did Lucy frequently get Charlie Brown to attempt to
kick?
Football for $200.

For $300:
In the US today, what's the most popular color for a wedding dress?
It's a nice day for a WHITE wedding for $300.

For $500:
Which does NOT contain caffeine?
He says water for $500.

For $1000:
By definition, tarot readers tell fortunes using what?
Cards wins $1000.

For $2000:
What classic fairy tale was retold in the'98 Drew Barrymore movie "Ever
After"?
Cinderella - he has no idea - but he goes for it, and it's worth...
$2000.

For $4000:
What state's motto is "Live Free Or Die"?
A. PA B. MA C. NH D. VA

We ATA and get 15-22-51-12 - a 51% vote for New Hampshire.

The 50/50 leaves:
B. MA C. NH

He will guess... Massachusetts.

I hear you at home.

That's his final answer.

I hear you at home, I hear you!

It's the sound of people wincing. It's New Hampshire.

He's got $1000.

FFF: Place these TV series in the order they debuted, earliest first.
A. Eight is Enough B. The Brady Bunch C. 7th Heaven D. Full House

Answer: B-A-D-C
Winner/Time: Patty McGrath, 6.44 seconds - our SECOND woman this month!
Patty is from Franklin, WI, and she's single. She is a warranty manager for a
Dodge dealership. She ate at that famous Chinese restaurant. Look for my
Updates in deja.com for that story.

For $100:
According to a popular rhyme, what should you NOT let bite when you're
preparing to "sleep tight"?
Bedbugs for $100.

For $200:
Which is the specific name for a chart representing statistical data?
Pie chart for $200.

For $300:
Which is a moving staircase?
Escalator for $300.

For $500:
What scissors are designed to give fabric a zigzag/notched edge?
Pinking shears for $500.

For $1000:
What is the maximum number of points a pro basketball player can score on a
single shot?
Three for $1000.

For $2000:
What famous American landmark is known as "The Rock"?
None of the choices is Duane Johnson - the correct choice is Alcatraz Island,
and he's got $2000.

(Hey Nick! Two wrestling references tonight!)

For $4000:
According to mythology, whose hair was turned into snakes by the goddess
Athena?
Medusa gets her $4000.

**AH-WHOOOOO!**

Well, that's the end of the program for tonight - she will return on TUESDAY
night for her chance at the million.

On the next episode that airs SATURDAY, ten contestants will test their
knowledge about football and see who's going to be the richest NFL fan out
there. It's a special FOOTBALL episode of Who Wants to Be a Millionaire?,
Saturday on ABC.

If you'd like to see Who Wants To Be a Millionaire? in person, and you're
going to be in the New York City area, call this number... 212/735-5369.

Would you like to try for the million? Then call 1-800-433-8321 ... and try
your luck! You get one shot at it, so make it count! Full rules are at
abc.go.com.

If you want some practice being on the show, play online at abc.go.com, or
play the computer game, or get the quiz book!

WHO WANTS TO BE A MILLIONAIRE? was created by David Briggs with Michael
Whitehill and Steve Knight for Celador Productions, and is produced in the
United States by Valleycrest Productions for Buena Vista Television.
MILLIONAIRE?: Copyright 2000
Valleycrest Productions and Buena Vista Television.
This Update is Copyright 2000 Jeremy Soria.
All Rights Reserved.

All game material contained herein remains the property of Valleycrest and
BVTV. Opinions expressed in this update are solely those of the compiler.

From Virginia Beach - Good night everybody!

- Jeremy "Leave the light on. I'm coming home." - Mankind

--
jesoria75 (at) | "You treat me like a dog and you expect me | AUSTIN
mindspring (dot) com | to smile? You remind me of a JACKASS~!" - SCSA | 3:16

Andre, Kerry, Eddie, Flyin' Brian, Gorilla Monsoon, Owen Hart ... Sigh ...

Jason Wuthrich

Jan 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/28/00
<jesoria75RE...@mindspring.com> wrote in message

> WHO WANTS TO BE A MILLIONAIRE?
> Thursday, January 27, 2000
>
> PREVIOUSLY ON MILLIONAIRE:
>
> "What part of 'that's my final answer' don't you understand? Just tell
me!"
> "You're wrong!"

I shouldn't be surprised if this ends up as somebody's .sig file soon.

> For $8000:
> In January of this year, who replaced Bill Gates as the CEO of Microsoft?
> Immediately answers Steve Ballmer for $8000.

Now <i>that's</i> current events.

> For a guaranteed $32,000:
> What runner cheated to win the Boston Marathon by joining the race less
than a
> mile from the finish?
> He remembers Rosie Ruiz (it ain't Julie Krone, she was a jockey) and wins
> THIRTY-TWO THOUSAND DOLLARS!

This was also brought up on NBC's Twenty One last night.

> Can we get him to $125,000? Here it is:
> Besides Kennedy, who's the only other president buried in Arlington
National
> Cemetery?
> A. Wilson B. Taft C. Truman D. Eisenhower

Nuts. I was going to say Grant. Then again, he was buried in Grant's tomb.

> With $64,000 in the bank but no definite guess, and a new car on the way,
> he'll cash out.
>
> His guess was Wilson - the correct answer was Taft.
>
> He's got $64,000!

Good call.

> FASTEST FINGER FIRST: Place these actors in the geographic order of their
> birth country, starting in the US and going east.
>
> A. Roberto Benigni B. Sean Connery C. Paul Hogan D. Matt Damon
>
> Correct order: DBAC

Man, I got stuck on this one. In fact, I couldn't tell east from west, and
I actually ran out of time.

> Winner/time: Only two people got it right ...

OK, so I wasn't the only one with problems.

> ...the faster one was...Bob Bass, 4.80 seconds!

Where have I heard that name before?

> This is the second time he's on the show - he was on in November.

Ahh. According to Ted Patchell, Bob was on the night he reached the Hot
Seat.

> For $300:
> According to "The Music Man" how many trombones "led the big parade"?
> 76 for $300.

No, he didn't sing. :-\

> For $2000:
> What city serves as the backdrop for the Drew Carey show?
> He says Cleveland for $2000.

Cleveland Rocks! Cleveland Rocks! ...

> For $125,000:
> Who was the youngest US president at his inauguration?
> A. Clinton B. Kennedy C. Grant D. Teddy Roosevelt
>
> He'll take another shot - this one will be costly if he misses...

Big risk. I hope he remembers he still has two Lifelines.

> His guess is Kennedy... educated guess....

I guess not.

> Thunk. It's Teddy Roosevelt (by one year).

> For $200:

> In "Peanuts" what object did Lucy frequently get Charlie Brown to attempt
> kick?
> Football for $200.

And we know what happens every single time.

> For $4000:
> What state's motto is "Live Free Or Die"?
> A. PA B. MA C. NH D. VA
>
> We ATA and get 15-22-51-12 - a 51% vote for New Hampshire.
>
> The 50/50 leaves:
> B. MA C. NH
>
> He will guess... Massachusetts.

Goes against the audience...

> ... It's New Hampshire.

And he pays for it.
Short night. That's the fastest exit since Brian Fodera. Next victim!

> FFF: Place these TV series in the order they debuted, earliest first.
> A. Eight is Enough B. The Brady Bunch C. 7th Heaven D. Full House
>
> Answer: B-A-D-C
> Winner/Time: Patty McGrath, 6.44 seconds - our SECOND woman this month!

Actually, third. Strike one against you...

> For $200:
> Which is the specific name for a chart representing statistical data?
> Pie chart for $200.

I was confused by the wording, but "pie chart" was the only one of the four
that made sense.

> For $2000:
> What famous American landmark is known as "The Rock"?

She's been there, but she hasn't.

> ... the correct choice is Alcatraz Island,

> and he's got $2000.

> **AH-WHOOOOO!**

<Hank Williams, Jr.>Are you ready for some football?</HWJ>

> On the next episode that airs SATURDAY, ten contestants will test their
> knowledge about football and see who's going to be the richest NFL fan out
> there. It's a special FOOTBALL episode of Who Wants to Be a Millionaire?,
> Saturday on ABC.

> All game material contained herein remains the property of Valleycrest and

> BVTV. Opinions expressed in this update are solely those of the compiler.

And as always, my opinions are mine and mine alone. If you think otherwise
I will sic Duane Johnson on you.

--Jason Wuthrich

Jerry

Jan 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/28/00

> For $125,000:
> Who was the youngest US president at his inauguration?
> A. Clinton B. Kennedy C. Grant D. Teddy Roosevelt
>
> He'll take another shot - this one will be costly if he misses...
>
> His guess is Kennedy... educated guess....
>
> and once again... Bounce....
>
> Bounce.....
>
> Thunk. It's Teddy Roosevelt (by one year).

He must not play trivia on the Internet. This is a VERY frequently
asked question on Internet trivia games.

Perhaps the use of "Inauguration" through him off. Kenendy was the
youngest to be elected, while Teddy took over after McKinley was
killed. In that situation, does the new President get an
"Inauguration"? I thought he just took the oath of office and started
his duties as President.

But I would still have answered Teddy, since the show does not use
trick questions.

Jerry
--
http://www.feist.com/~chessart/

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

To...@fred.net

:> Thursday, January 27, 2000
:>
:> PREVIOUSLY ON MILLIONAIRE:
:>
:> "What part of 'that's my final answer' don't you understand? Just tell
: me!"
:> "You're wrong!"

: I shouldn't be surprised if this ends up as somebody's .sig file soon.

Is there an AVI of this somewhere? I missed both times this was one
(thanks to Buffy and to clicking on too late at the start of the show)

:> **AH-WHOOOOO!**

No reason... I jus' love that sound..... :)

--
To...@Fred.Net http://www.fred.net/tomr
* "Faith Manages...... But Willow is in Tech Support"

Mary Kay Bergman 1961-1999

StvHerbert

Jan 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/29/00
> Kenendy was the
>youngest to be elected, while Teddy took over after McKinley was
>killed. In that situation, does the new President get an
>"Inauguration"? I thought he just took the oath of office and started
>his duties as President.

The way I learned it, the mere oath-taking counts as an inauguration.

Steven Herbert

Dolfan500

Jan 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/29/00
>He remembers Rosie Ruiz

I wonder if he saw the same question on another show <g>?

>eff Phones his Friend Charlie for this question.
>Charlie is not sure and can't give a guess by the time expires.
>
>He will take a free shot at Alaska...

Didn't he get in a "I know it's not Hawaii" as the clock ticked down?

Guy

PaulB...@aol.com

Feb 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/2/00
In article <3890fb7a...@news.mindspring.com>,

jeso...@mindspring.com wrote:
> For $4000:
> What state's motto is "Live Free Or Die"?
> A. PA B. MA C. NH D. VA
>
> We ATA and get 15-22-51-12 - a 51% vote for New Hampshire.
>
> The 50/50 leaves:
> B. MA C. NH
>
> He will guess... Massachusetts.
>
> I hear you at home.
>
> That's his final answer.
>
> I hear you at home, I hear you!
>
> It's the sound of people wincing. It's New Hampshire.
>
> He's got $1000.

I knew that New Hampshire's state motto is "Live Free or Die." I
know the state mottoes of all other states, but here are the mottoes of
the other three states in the question:
* Pennsylvania -- "Virtue, Liberty, and Independence"
* Massachusetts -- "Ense Petit Placidam sub Libertate Quietem"
(Latin, "By the Sword, We Seek Peace, But Peace Be Only Under Liberty")
* Virginia -- "Sic Semper Tyrannis" (Latin, "Thus Always to
Tyrants")
Paul :-)
E-Mail: Paul_...@lycosmail.com