VS Millionaire 11/28

Goongas

Nov 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/28/00
The teacher did get some easy questions. Anyone who has had a basic science
course knows that kinetic energy is moving energy. They could have asked
that a mobile is an example of what type of art, that would have made the
question a little harder if someone thought kinetic art was a nonsense
answer.

The man who won $500K Sunday night I think had pretty hard questions...The
4K question about New Orleans was obscure at least to me.

Eric Panchenko
<mattma...@my-deja.com> wrote in message
> A couple notes on tonight's show:
>
> 1. I've met Patrick Downs, he's a good guy--and after reading the
> recap, really felt he got screwed by that cholestorol question for 4K--
> when both HDL and LDL are answers, that should be a high second or low
> third tier question.
>
> 2. Is it just me or did the teacher get a bunch of cupcakes? Knowing
> what "kinetic" means for 64K? Knowing that bees dance for 125K? And
> his 250K was pretty easy to begin with and the 50-50 made it a gimme.
> After all, "Hawkeye" is the name used throughout the movie of "Last of
> the Mohicans." I figured the 50-50 would leave "Pathfinder"
> and "Nighthorse," to make it tougher. Cupcake land! Although it was
> nice to see a question where "White Sea" was an answer.
>

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

vicste...@mailexcite.com

Nov 28, 2000, 9:24:30 PM11/28/00
Joe Erwin climbed up to $16,000 dollars on Sunday, with only some
parts of North America seeing latter half of his climb. He still
has all 3 lifelines.

Joe has been trying for about a year to get on the show. His mother
Pat, who has alse tried to be on the show, is in the relationship
seat.

Hopefully, without any antics of those zany Chads interrupting this
show, let's play!

For $32,000: In the 1991 movie, "The Commitments" what type of
music does the band play?

A) Soul B) Heavy Metal
C) Jazz D) Irish Folk

One of those lifelines will go by the wayside, as he phones Fran.
Fran is a music editor, and resembles the singer from the
Commitments, according to Joe. Joe finishes the options, and Fran
gives an immediate answer: Soul.

Joe will agree, and make Soul his final answer.

Fred's right! Joe's right!

For $64,000: Who is the only U.S. President to have addressed the
Russian Duma?

A) George Bush B) Richard Nixon
C) Bill Clinton D) Jimmy Carter

Another lifeline will be used. Poll The Audience: 13-32-34-21. Joe
had a inkling, so he is going to see what is left when he uses the
50/50. It will leave behind C & D. That confirms what he was thinking.
His free shot will be used on Bill Clinton.

That free shot
.
.
.
Catches nothing but green.

(ad break: Nivea, Eatons, Titans - Monday at 8 on CTV)

For $125,000: What is the name of the unseen part of the knife blade
that secures the blade to the handle?

A) Nib B) Tang
C) Bail D) Dibble

Joe's glad he used the lifelines, because he doubts any of them
would have known this. To Joe, A) Nib makes the most sense. He thought
he would gamble on this question if he could narrow to 2. He's
looking at the word Bail, and will select Bail.

In the sense that he is going to walk away with the money.

He was thinking about Nib.

But, the answer was Tang, so he'll exit happily with $64,000.

(Fastest Finger time)

"Put the movies in the order of their first theatrical

A) Do the Right Thing
B) Saving Private Ryan
C) Wall Street
D) Big Momma's House

CABD was the right order for that. Only 4 of the 10 have it right, and
the fastest was Patrick Downs, with a time of 4.65.

Patrick is a graduate of Notre Dame, and is now studying at NYU to
be a lawyer. His sister, studying at Xavier, is in the audience. His
mother wouldn't help him pay for law school if he didn't try out for
WWTBAM.

For $100: In what war did the American colonies win their independence
from Great Britain?

A) Revolutionary War B) Civil War
C) WW II D) The Thrilla in Manilla
A0 Revolutionary War.

For $200: According to a popular phrase, if someone adores you, "you
are the" what "of his eye?

A) Marshmallow B) Apple
C) Bagel D) Contact Lens
B) Apple.

For $300: Lightning rods are made of what substance?

A) Wood B) Metal
C) Plastic D) Spandex
B) Metal.

For $500: A raven-haired woman has what color hair?

A) Blonde B) Brown
C) Black D) Red
C) Black.

For $1000: Ibuprofen is most commonly used as what?

A) Artificial sweetener B) Decongestant
C) Breath mint D) Pain Reliever

D) Pain Reliever. Patrick is pretty much hyperventilating as he
answered
that question.

(ad break: Arby's, Canadian Tire: Give Like Santa, Save Like Scrooge,
get money you can convince Americans is actual Canadian currency,
complete with dancing tires)

For $2000: According the 1956 song, the Heartbreak Hotel is down at
the end of what street?

A) Lovers' Lane B) Lonely Street
C) Bleaker Street D) Bourbon Street
B) Lonely Street. Not to be confused with the Smackdown Hotel located
at the end of Jabroni drive.

For $4000: Where in Texas is the Alamo?

A) San Antonio B) Ft. Worth
C) Houston D) Austin

He remembers it is San Antonio.

For $8000: What 3 letters are short for the scientific term for
protein-rich good cholesterol?

A) LDL B) HCG
C) HDL D) LDS

He's going to phone-a-friend: Diesel. Diesel is a med student in
Florida, so it isn't going to be Kevin Nash or Glen Jacobs. After
getting the question repeated, HDL is Diesel's answer, and he is sure
about it.
Final answer.

Diesel helped Patrick reach $8000!

For $16000: In the 2000 movie "The Contender" Joan Allen's character
is selected for what government position?

A) Supreme Court Justice B) Vice President
C) Secretary of State D) Attorney General

His roommate dragged him out to see this film. Therefore he knows
that Joan Allen was nominated for the position of Vice President.

And that she was.

For $32000: Since 1954, Armistice Day has been called what?

A) Armed Forces Day B) Memorial Day
C) Flag Day D) Veterans Day

He knows that is November, and the holiday in question is Veterans
Day.

That money is safe.

For $64000: In 1947, who became the first African-American baseball
player to play in the American League?

A) Larry Doby B) Dan Bankhead
C) Satchel Paige D) Jackie Robinson

He eliminates Jackie Robinson, who debuted in the National League.
After that, he goes to the audience, after hinting at the 50/50. The
audience poll is 23-4-55-18. He seems to agree with Satchel, but
wants to see what is left with the 50/50. Satchel remains, along with
Larry Doby. He'll go with the audience. Sathcel Paige is his final
answer.

He swings at the pitch!
.
.
.
.
.
And it is a whiff.

Larry Doby was the first, with the Cleveland Indians.

(Fastest Finger)

"Put these American historical events in chronological order, starting
with the earliest"

A) Battle of Yorktown
B) League of Nations formed
C) Harvard College formed
D) Nevada statehood

Correct order - CADB. Tom Bolton one of two right, with a time of
6.14 seconds. He'll play, after the commercials.

(ad break: Knorrs, The Magician's House on CTV Saturday, Rita McNeil's
Christmas special on Sunday)

Tom is a social studies teacher from North Carolina.

For $100: If you treat someone as harshly as he treats you, you are
giving him a taste of his own what?

A) Love B) Medicine
C) Muscle D) Tuna Casserole
B) Medicine

For $200: Which of these would a weatherman most likely use to
describe
a hot and humid day?

A) Muggy B) Buggy
C) Snuggly D) Hell
A) Muggy.

For $300: How many corners does a triangle have?

A) 2 B) 3 C) 4 D) Depends on its mood
B) 3.

For $500: By definition, someone with extrasensory perception has
what type of powers?

A) Psychotic B) Psychiatric
C) Psychedelic D) Psychic
D) Psychic

For $1000: Who was the host of the long-running TV show "American
Bandstand"?

A) Dick Clark B) Wink Martindale
C) Merv Griffin D) Mike Douglas
A) Dick Clark.

For $2000: What sportswear company describes itself as "The Brand with
Three Stripes"?

A) Nike B) Adidas
C) Vans D) Puma

Tom is going to hope that the audience can help him out on this. With
a result of 5-78-12-5, it looks like they will redeem themselves from
the Larry Doby question. Adidas is his final answer.

Thank you, audience!

(ad break: Mufflerman, Subway, The Fugitive on CTV, Friday)

Tom applied to the "Teacher in Space" program 15 years ago.

For $4000: Which of these gases must be present for photosynthesis
to take place?

A) Argon B) Helium
C) Nitrogen D) Carbon Dioxide
D) Carbon dioxide.

For $8000: Which of the following singers is not one of the Dixie
Chicks?

A) Trisha Yearwood B) Natalie Maines
C) Martie Seidel D) Emily Robison

He doesn't know that B, C and D are, but he knows Trisha isn't.

And he knew right!

For $16000: Cyan is a shade of what colour?

A) Red B) White
C) Blue D) Yellow

He's seen the crayon, but can't recall it. He'll call Kathy, the
principal at Tom's school. She wants him to spell it. There is
more than one person helping Kathy along, and they lead her to
answer Blue.

Tom will agree with that.

And as someone who remembers that colour from his old Commodore 64,
I know that the green light will say that Tom's right.

For $32000: The English Channel connects the Atlantic Ocean to what
body of water?

A) Norwegian Sea B) North Sea
C) Baltic Sea D) White Sea

North Sea is the first thing out of his mouth, but he wants to think
about it a little more. But he'll stick with B), and it is the final
answer.

YES!

For $64000: Which of the following is the defining characteristic of
kinetic art?

A) Extreme Size B) Illusion
C) Movement D) Typography

A quick response. C) Movement.

(ad break: Harvey's, CTV's W5)

Tom always has trouble with the $125,000 question at home. Maybe
things will seem easier in the Hot Seat.

For $125,000: Zoologist Karl von Frisch found that a worker honeybee
directs other bees to a food source by doing what?

A) Dancing B) Eating
C) Digging D) Stinging

He thinks he knows this, and after some hesitation, he locks in
Dancing as his final answer.

Will the trouble at home trouble translate into trouble in the hot
seat?
?
?
?
?
?
?
NO! He has just won $125,000!

For $250,000: The hero of James Fenimore Cooper's Leatherstocking
Tales
is known by all but which of the following names?

A) Pathfinder B) Hawkeye
C) Deerslayer D) Nighthorse

The 50/50 is called for. The remaining choices are B & D. There was
one there that he was sure was used in the book. The one he was
sure was in the book was Hawkeye, which was taken from "MASH". He
talks it out a bit more. "Not known by Nighthorse. Final Answer"

Tom Bolton is not known as
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
Someone who
.
.
.
.
lost $93,000 on a question! Nighthorse was the right answer!

***AH-WOOOOO!*****

Wednesday will start off with a $500,000 question. See you then!

mattma...@my-deja.com

Nov 28, 2000, 9:50:55 PM11/28/00

Michael Falkner

Nov 28, 2000, 11:53:44 PM11/28/00
In article <901qud$us4$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>,

mattma...@my-deja.com wrote:
> A couple notes on tonight's show:
>
> 1. I've met Patrick Downs, he's a good guy--and after reading the
> recap, really felt he got screwed by that cholestorol question for 4K-
-
> when both HDL and LDL are answers, that should be a high second or low
> third tier question.

Agreed. Ouch...

> 2. Is it just me or did the teacher get a bunch of cupcakes? Knowing
> what "kinetic" means for 64K? Knowing that bees dance for 125K? And
> his 250K was pretty easy to begin with and the 50-50 made it a gimme.
> After all, "Hawkeye" is the name used throughout the movie of "Last of
> the Mohicans." I figured the 50-50 would leave "Pathfinder"
> and "Nighthorse," to make it tougher. Cupcake land! Although it was
> nice to see a question where "White Sea" was an answer.

I can't say about the Cupcakes, but that had to bring back some
memories for you... :)

So is your PAF liking his laptop that you got him?? [If I remember
rightly, to those who wonder why I ask, Matt posted here that he was
going to get his PAF a laptop for his help -- rather than the cut of
the money he told Matt he wanted in the call.]

--
---
Michael Falkner San Francisco, CA

Brett A. Pasternack

Nov 29, 2000, 2:27:17 AM11/29/00
mattma...@my-deja.com wrote:

> 2. Is it just me or did the teacher get a bunch of cupcakes? Knowing
> what "kinetic" means for 64K? Knowing that bees dance for 125K? And
> his 250K was pretty easy to begin with and the 50-50 made it a gimme.
> After all, "Hawkeye" is the name used throughout the movie of "Last of
> the Mohicans." I figured the 50-50 would leave "Pathfinder"
> and "Nighthorse," to make it tougher. Cupcake land! Although it was
> nice to see a question where "White Sea" was an answer.

If you hadn't said so, I would have. Especially the bees question--not
only is it fairly common knowledge, but the other answers make very
little sense, and so even if you don't know that bees dance, you'd be
likely to get it by POE. Certainly doesn't make sense to put this at
125K and HDL vs. LDL at 4K.

>> He's going to phone-a-friend: Diesel. Diesel is a med student in
>> Florida, so it isn't going to be Kevin Nash or Glen Jacobs.

Hey, Glen Jacobs WAS a dentist for a while, so maybe it's not such a
stretch! B^}

Victor L. Romany

Nov 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/29/00
My first thought upon seeing the question was Baltic Sea.

Reasoning being that the North Sea directly "connects" to the
Atlantic. Norwegian oil platforms are in the North Sea, and the
tankers which service them travel directly through/from the Atlantic.

Whereas, one *must* travel through either the English Channel or the
North Sea to get into the Baltic.

What do you think?

Vic

Brett A. Pasternack

Nov 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/30/00
Victor L. Romany wrote:

> My first thought upon seeing the question was Baltic Sea.
>
> Reasoning being that the North Sea directly "connects" to the
> Atlantic. Norwegian oil platforms are in the North Sea, and the
> tankers which service them travel directly through/from the Atlantic.
>
> Whereas, one *must* travel through either the English Channel or the
> North Sea to get into the Baltic.
>
> What do you think?

That occured to me, too. It's obvious that North Sea was the correct
answer, but they're being sloopy again. Just add the word "directly" to
the question and then no one would have a case to challenge it.