VS Millionaire 3/16

vicste...@mailexcite.com

Mar 17, 2001, 7:44:46 PM3/17/01
Dan Ruffer is back to the hotseat after winning $4000 on Thursday. He
burned his ATA lifeline, and his mother Lorna is still in his
relationship seat.

LET'S PLAY!

For $8000: Which of these 1980's movies features the line "Wax on,
wax off"?

A) Back to the Future B) Top Gun
C) The Karate Kid D) Beverly Hills Cop

C) Karate Kid.

For $16000: When cooking, which of these would a person
render?

A) Vegetable oil B) Egg white
C) Yeast D) Animal fat

Since Dan worked in a kitchen for 10 years, he better know
this one. D) Animal fat.

For $32000: In 2000, 15-year-old Jonathan LeBed was charged with
using his computer to commit what?

A) Counterfeiting B) Securities Fraud
C) Treason D) Invasion of privacy

He's going to use his 50/50 which narrows it down to B or D.
That doesn't seem to help, so he will use his final lifeline,
calling a friend, Mark.

It takes him 10 seconds to get the question out, but Mark recalls
seeing something about this, and makes his choice with 75 percent
certainty that it is B).
.
.
.
Securities Fraud
.
.
.
makes $32,000 secure for Dan.

(ad break: Tylenol, Pizza hut, World Figure Skating Championships)

For $64,000: Which of these bodies of water borders 3 continents?

A) Mediterranean Sea B) North Sea
C) Red Sea D) Caspian Sea

He tosses out B) and D), and kinda tosses out C) Red
Sea, making it look like A) is the logical answer. Dan's
strength isn't geography. But, he goes with A).

The Mediterranean touches
.
Europe
.
Africa
.
and Asia!

For $125,000: In the opera "The Marriage of Figaro", who does
Figaro marry?

A) Countess Almaviva B) Giovanna the governess
C) Susanna the servant D) Constanze the lady

No clue. He's going to bail with his $64,000. His guess would have
been D), but that wedding involved C) Susanna.

There is a visually-impaired contestant among the group of 10
tonight. The questions and answers will be read out
first before the answers appear on the screens. If the last time
was any indication, there should be some good times for the FF
round.

Put these movies in order of their first theatrical relase,
starting with the earliest.

A) The English Patient
B) American Graffiti
C) The Mexican
D) The African Queen

DBAC is the right order. 8 contestants get it right, and the
fastest (of 3 sub-2.00 times) is Peter Diamond with a time of
1.31. Peter is from Wisconsin, and has his brother with him in
the relationship seat. Peter does long-distance running.

For $100: Someone who is trying something new is said to
be dipping his what in the water?

C) Toe

For $200: Which of these animals is most likely to howl?

C) Wolf

For $300: Which of the following is used to deliver water from
household pipes?

B) Faucet.

For $500: Which of these words means "to repeat something another
person said"?

D) Ditto.

For $1000: What kind of books are often called "bodice rippers"?

A) Romance novels B) Legal thrillers
C) Celebrity biographies D) Cookbooks
A) for $1000.

(ad break: McDonald's, 96.7 CHYM-FM * 2, World Figure Skating
Championships)

Peter once won 5 pounds of bratwurst and 10 pounds of pickles in
a radio contest. His then-fiance and roommates ended up eating
the prize.

For $2000: What U.S. state has the largest area of tundra?

A) Florida B) California
C) Alaska D) Hawaii
C) Alaska.

For $4000: What type of pasta often comes in an elbow variety?

A) Ravioli B) Spaghetti
C) Tortellini D) Macaroni

His kids favourite meal. D) Macaroni.

For $8000: What is the common term for an ad on a Web page that
links to an advertiser's site?

A) Banner B) Pennant
C) Strap D) Bat

A) Banner.

For $16000: In the 2001 movie "Hannibal", Hannibal Lecter has what
job in Europe?

A) Gem appraiser B) Museum curator
C) College professor D) Orchestra conductor

He goes to the audience for the answer here. 4-55-36-5. They are
leaning one way. Knowing that the audience is right most of the
time, he goes with B) Museum Curator.
.
$16,000!

For $32,000: What president declared the U.S. boycott of the
Moscow Olympics?

A) Gerald Ford B) Ronald Reagan
C) Jimmy Carter D) George Bush

He knows that this was in response to the invasion of
Afghanistan, which took place when Jimmy Carter was
President. Final answer.
.
And a right one!

For $64,000: A recently discovered dinosaur was named
'Masiakasaurus Knopfleri' after the lead sinder of what
band?

A) The Cars B) Styx
C) Rush D) Dire Straits

He knows that Mark Kropfler is the lead singer for a band
named Dire Straits. D) is his final answer
.
.
And that netted Peter some money for something.

(ad break: Dial, The Brick, McDonalds, Cold Squad)

"I think my heartrate has changed 13-14 times already" -
John, from the relationship seat. Peter talked to
a (unnamed) friend-of-a-friend who claimed their brain
turned to mush when they entered the hotseat. No word
if the FOAF also told him if he heard Little Mikey
ate pop rocks, drank coke and had his head explode.

For $125,000: Which of the original 13 colonies was founded by
James Oglethorpe as a haven for English debtors?

A) Georgia B) Rhode Island
C) New Jersey D) South Carolina

Peter has heard about James Oglethorpe, but doesn't know
the answer. He will Phone-a-Friend, and the friend is Jim,
an engineering consultant. It takes Peter 12 seconds to
ask the question. Jim doesn't know. His guess is Georgia,
but time runs out before he can say how sure he is.

50/50 leaves A and D.

After a short pause, Peter gives up the hotseat. His guess
would have been a correct one. As would have been Jim's.

Fastest Finger: Put these major U.S. cities in geographic
order, starting in the west.

A) Muncie
B) Fresno
C) Scranton
D) Omaha

West to east you get BDAC. 5 get it, and it is sub 1.00 for
winner Matthew Bumgardner - 0.91.

(ad break: Knechtels, Tim Hortons)

Matthew is a computer programmer/poker player. He has
brother and sister, Tony & Regina sitting in the
relationship seat.

For $100: Which of these phrases means "an advantageous
position in a competitive situation"?

C) Leading age.

For $200: People most commonly dunk their donuts in what?

B) Coffee

For $300: What does the "CB" in CB radio stand for?

B) Citizen's Band
Not D) One bored trucker

For $500: "Peepers" is a slang term for what part of the
human body?

"Jeepers. Creepers. I think it's A) Eyes." - Matthew

For $1000: Which of these animals is the closest relative of
the lobster?

A) Frog B) Snail
C) Locust D) Crawfish
D) Crawfish.

For $2000: In a 1974 song by the Rolling Stones, Mick Jagger sings
"I know it's only rock 'n' roll, but" what?

A) I got it in my blood B) She's forever
C) I like it D) It swings

He has a guess, but wants to see what the audience will guess.
They guess 28-6-62-4. Matthew hopes that he will like it when
he makes C) his final answer.

And he will!

For $4000: Tom Wolfe's 1979 book "The Right Stuff" is about what?

A) Wall Street B) Manned space missions
C) Auto industry D) Black panthers

B) Manned space missions.

For $8000: In 1983, what Caribbean nation was invaded by U.S. troops?

A) Haiti B) Barbados
C) Jamaica D) Grenada

D) Grenada.

For $16000: On the TV series "The West Wing" what is the name
of the President of the United States?

A) Andrew Shepherd B) Bill Mitchell
C) Josiah Bartlet D) John Sheridan

Matthew has seen the show once. Hey. That's once more than I have.
He'll hope that his phone-a-friend, Chad has seen it more often.
It seems that he has, since C) is his answer, and with 100 percent
certainty.

100% right!

(ad break: Philadephia Cream Cheese, Knechtel, W5 on CTV)

On previous trips to New York Matthew has been rear-ended and
snowed in. Better luck this time?

For $32,000: Which of these flowers is a type of narcissus?

A) Daffidol B) Daisy
C) Pansy D) Geranium

Botany is not one of Matthew's strong points, so he'll hope
that the 50/50 can help him out. C) and D) are removed.
that.

Matthew is a gambler.

But he's not gambling on this one. His guess would have been
B) Daisy. A) was right.

Fastest Finger: Put these literary characters in the order they were
first introduced, starting with the earliest:

A) Rhett Butler
B) Nurse Ratched
C) Ichabod Crane
D) Huckleberry Finn

CDAB is the right order. 4 get it right. Fastest is Suzy Law, 1.70.

She is a court clerk from Loveland, CO. And we have to get right down
the game.

For $100: A person with a knowledge of many subjects is often
called a 'walking' what?

B) Encyclopedia

For $200: Which of the following phrases means "a type of
underwear that covers the legs"?

C) Longjohns

For $300: Which of the following would you use to make objects that
are far away appear closer?

B) Binoculars.

For $500: "Legit" is an informal abbreviation for which of the
following words?

A) Legitimate.

For $1000: Which of the following is not considered a natural
science?

A) Bilogy B) Botany
C) Chemistry D) Mathematics
D) Mathematics.

The regular contestants are off until the 27th, as Classic TV stars
take over. Joy of joys. The episode on next Friday is listed in my
TV Guide as being 90 minutes long. If you thought this Friday recap
took a long time to get sent. I'm gonna need a lot of Jolt to get
through that one.

See you back here Thursday.
-----
The above e-mail address exists solely as a spam catcher. If
you wish to respond, do so via the newsgroup.

Brett A. Pasternack

Mar 18, 2001, 1:38:09 AM3/18/01
. o O ( Airdate: 3/16/01 )
. o O ( Jackpot: 2,100,000 )

vicste...@mailexcite.com wrote:

> Dan Ruffer is back to the hotseat after winning $4000 on Thursday. He
> burned his ATA lifeline, and his mother Lorna is still in his
> relationship seat.
>
> LET'S PLAY!
>
> For $8000: Which of these 1980's movies features the line "Wax on,
> wax off"?
>
> A) Back to the Future B) Top Gun
> C) The Karate Kid D) Beverly Hills Cop
>
> C) Karate Kid.

. o O ( Pat Morita teaching Ralph Macchio his hand motions. )

. o O ( Morita appeared on "Happy Days" with Marion Ross, who will
appear on the next episode of Millionaire, as one of the "Classic TV"
celebrities. )

. o O ( More recently, Morita has appeared in TV commercials, under the
slogan... )

> For $16000: When cooking, which of these would a person
> render?

. o O ( ..."When you cook, you're family". )

> A) Vegetable oil B) Egg white
> C) Yeast D) Animal fat
>
> Since Dan worked in a kitchen for 10 years, he better know
> this one. D) Animal fat.
>
> For $32000: In 2000, 15-year-old Jonathan LeBed was charged with
> using his computer to commit what?
>
> A) Counterfeiting B) Securities Fraud
> C) Treason D) Invasion of privacy
>
> He's going to use his 50/50 which narrows it down to B or D.
> That doesn't seem to help, so he will use his final lifeline,
> calling a friend, Mark.
>
> It takes him 10 seconds to get the question out, but Mark recalls
> seeing something about this, and makes his choice with 75 percent
> certainty that it is B).
> .
> .
> .
> Securities Fraud
> .
> .
> .
> makes $32,000 secure for Dan.

. o O ( It secured $272,826 for Lebed... )
. o O ( ...until the SEC made him pay it back with interest. )

> (ad break: Tylenol, Pizza hut, World Figure Skating Championships)
>
> For $64,000: Which of these bodies of water borders 3 continents?
>
> A) Mediterranean Sea B) North Sea
> C) Red Sea D) Caspian Sea
>
> He tosses out B) and D), and kinda tosses out C) Red
> Sea, making it look like A) is the logical answer. Dan's
> strength isn't geography. But, he goes with A).
>
> The Mediterranean touches
> .
> Europe
> .
> Africa
> .
> and Asia!

. o O ( No wonder its name means "center of the Earth"! )

> For $125,000: In the opera "The Marriage of Figaro", who does
> Figaro marry?
>
> A) Countess Almaviva B) Giovanna the governess
> C) Susanna the servant D) Constanze the lady
>
> No clue. He's going to bail with his $64,000. His guess would have
> been D), but that wedding involved C) Susanna.
>
> There is a visually-impaired contestant among the group of 10
> tonight. The questions and answers will be read out
> first before the answers appear on the screens. If the last time
> was any indication, there should be some good times for the FF
> round.
>
> Put these movies in order of their first theatrical relase,
> starting with the earliest.
>
> A) The English Patient
> B) American Graffiti
> C) The Mexican
> D) The African Queen
>
> DBAC is the right order.

. o O ( 1951; 1973; 1996; 2001 )

> 8 contestants get it right, and the
> fastest (of 3 sub-2.00 times) is Peter Diamond with a time of
> 1.31. Peter is from Wisconsin, and has his brother with him in
> the relationship seat. Peter does long-distance running.
>
> For $100: Someone who is trying something new is said to
> be dipping his what in the water?
>
> C) Toe
>
> For $200: Which of these animals is most likely to howl?
>
> C) Wolf

. o O ( Howlin' Wolf was named to the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame as an
early influence in 1991. )

> For $300: Which of the following is used to deliver water from
> household pipes?
>
> B) Faucet.
>
> For $500: Which of these words means "to repeat something another
> person said"?
>
> D) Ditto.

. o O ( It means "to repeat something another person said". )

> For $1000: What kind of books are often called "bodice rippers"?
>
> A) Romance novels B) Legal thrillers
> C) Celebrity biographies D) Cookbooks
> A) for $1000.
>
> (ad break: McDonald's, 96.7 CHYM-FM * 2, World Figure Skating
> Championships)
>
> Peter once won 5 pounds of bratwurst and 10 pounds of pickles in
> a radio contest. His then-fiance and roommates ended up eating
> the prize.

. o O ( SCS Millionaire Rule #2: Never, ever, under any circumstances,
no matter how hard Regis tries to bring up the subject, say anything
about your trivia prowess. No other game shows you've been on, no other
trivia bowls you've been in. You will never, EVER, win the big money. )

> For $2000: What U.S. state has the largest area of tundra?
>
> A) Florida B) California
> C) Alaska D) Hawaii
> C) Alaska.
>
> For $4000: What type of pasta often comes in an elbow variety?
>
> A) Ravioli B) Spaghetti
> C) Tortellini D) Macaroni
>
> His kids favourite meal. D) Macaroni.
>
> For $8000: What is the common term for an ad on a Web page that
> links to an advertiser's site?
>
> A) Banner B) Pennant
> C) Strap D) Bat
>
> A) Banner.
>
> For $16000: In the 2001 movie "Hannibal", Hannibal Lecter has what
> job in Europe?

. o O ( Crossing the Alps on llamas? )

> A) Gem appraiser B) Museum curator
> C) College professor D) Orchestra conductor
>
> He goes to the audience for the answer here. 4-55-36-5. They are
> leaning one way. Knowing that the audience is right most of the
> time, he goes with B) Museum Curator.
> .
> $16,000!
>
> For $32,000: What president declared the U.S. boycott of the
> Moscow Olympics?
>
> A) Gerald Ford B) Ronald Reagan
> C) Jimmy Carter D) George Bush
>
> He knows that this was in response to the invasion of
> Afghanistan, which took place when Jimmy Carter was
> President. Final answer.
> .
> And a right one!

. o O ( The members of that year's US Olympic team managed to become
medal winners anyway... )
. o O ( ...Carter awarded them all the Medal Of Honor. )

> For $64,000: A recently discovered dinosaur was named
> 'Masiakasaurus Knopfleri' after the lead sinder of what
> band?
>
> A) The Cars B) Styx
> C) Rush D) Dire Straits

. o O ( SCS Millionaire Rule #4: Any answer which is also the title of
a Rush song is always correct! )

> He knows that Mark Kropfler is the lead singer for a band
> named Dire Straits. D) is his final answer
> .
> .
> And that netted Peter some money for something.

. o O ( SCS has no rule for when Rush themselves are an answer choice. )

> (ad break: Dial, The Brick, McDonalds, Cold Squad)
>
> "I think my heartrate has changed 13-14 times already" -
> John, from the relationship seat. Peter talked to
> a (unnamed) friend-of-a-friend who claimed their brain
> turned to mush when they entered the hotseat. No word
> if the FOAF also told him if he heard Little Mikey
> ate pop rocks, drank coke and had his head explode.
>
> For $125,000: Which of the original 13 colonies was founded by
> James Oglethorpe as a haven for English debtors?
>
> A) Georgia B) Rhode Island
> C) New Jersey D) South Carolina
>
> Peter has heard about James Oglethorpe, but doesn't know
> the answer. He will Phone-a-Friend, and the friend is Jim,
> an engineering consultant. It takes Peter 12 seconds to
> ask the question. Jim doesn't know. His guess is Georgia,
> but time runs out before he can say how sure he is.
>
> 50/50 leaves A and D.
>
> After a short pause, Peter gives up the hotseat. His guess
> would have been a correct one. As would have been Jim's.

. o O ( Oglethorpe was given the land between the Savannah and Altahama
Rivers, and the land to the west of that, for his project. )
. o O ( None of the original 114 colonists has actually been released
from debtor's prison to make the voyage. )

. o O ( Following Paul Pearson winning $250,000 on 3/9, this may cause
Steve to amend SCS Millionaire Rule #2. )

> Fastest Finger: Put these major U.S. cities in geographic
> order, starting in the west.
>
> A) Muncie
> B) Fresno

. o O ( Fresno State was knocked out of the NCAA basketball tourney in
the first round, losing to Wisconsin, 66-56. )
. o O ( According to ESPN's website, this occured on Thursday, March 16,
thus putting it one day of the week before the airing of this show, but
on the same date. )

> C) Scranton

. o O ( Scranton was the hometown of Charles on "Charles In Charge". )

> D) Omaha
>
> West to east you get BDAC.

. o O ( California; Nebraska; Indiana; Pennsylvania )

. o O ( Stones guitarist Mick Taylor didn't like it--he told a
journalist that he thought the song was an artistic faliure. )
. o O ( He quit the band two months later. )

> For $4000: Tom Wolfe's 1979 book "The Right Stuff" is about what?
>
> A) Wall Street B) Manned space missions
> C) Auto industry D) Black panthers
>
> B) Manned space missions.

. o O ( "Maybe I do have the right--what's that stuff?" -- Homer Simpson
)

> For $8000: In 1983, what Caribbean nation was invaded by U.S. troops?
>
> A) Haiti B) Barbados
> C) Jamaica D) Grenada
>
> D) Grenada.

. o O ( The stated reasons for the invasion were to stop the completion
of an airport, and to save American medical students there. )
. o O ( It was never clear that the students were in danger or were
being prevented from leaving. The US government later oversaw the
completion of the airport. )

> For $16000: On the TV series "The West Wing"

. o O ( airing directly following the Wednesday WWTBAM. )

> what is the name
> of the President of the United States?

. o O ( Played by Martin Sheen. )

> A) Andrew Shepherd B) Bill Mitchell
> C) Josiah Bartlet D) John Sheridan
>
> Matthew has seen the show once. Hey. That's once more than I have.

. o O ( Too bad. It's the best show on television. )

> He'll hope that his phone-a-friend, Chad has seen it more often.
> It seems that he has, since C) is his answer, and with 100 percent
> certainty.
>
> 100% right!

. o O ( President Bartlet is named for a real-life signer of the
Declaration Of Independence. On the show, he is the signer's direct
decendant. )

. o O ( Andrew Shepherd was the POTUS in the film "The American
President". That film was written by "West Wing" creator Aaron Sorkin,
and there are substantial similarities between the two characters. )
. o O ( Bill Mitchell was the POTUS in the film "Dave". )
. o O ( John Sheridan was the President of the Intersteller Alliance on
the TV series Babylon 5. )
. o O ( Sheridan was played by Bruce Boxleitner, who could turn up in
the relationship seat for "Classic TV" Millionaire--his wife, Melissa
Gilbert, is playing. )

. o O ( A recent thread on alt.tv.the-west-wing speculated about whether
President Bartlet could beat up President Sheridan. )

> (ad break: Philadephia Cream Cheese, Knechtel, W5 on CTV)
>
> On previous trips to New York Matthew has been rear-ended and
> snowed in. Better luck this time?
>
> For $32,000: Which of these flowers is a type of narcissus?

. o O ( Named for a character in Greek mythology who fell in love with
his own reflection. )

> A) Daffidol B) Daisy
> C) Pansy D) Geranium
>
> Botany is not one of Matthew's strong points, so he'll hope
> that the 50/50 can help him out. C) and D) are removed.
> that.
>
> Matthew is a gambler.
>
> But he's not gambling on this one. His guess would have been
> B) Daisy. A) was right.
>
> Fastest Finger: Put these literary characters in the order they were
> first introduced, starting with the earliest:
>
> A) Rhett Butler
> B) Nurse Ratched
> C) Ichabod Crane
> D) Huckleberry Finn
>
> CDAB is the right order.

. o O ( The Legend of Sleepy Hollow, 1819; The Adventures of Tom Sawyer,
1876; Gone With The Wind, 1936; One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest, 1962. )

> 4 get it right. Fastest is Suzy Law, 1.70.
>
> She is a court clerk from Loveland, CO. And we have to get right down
> the game.
>
> For $100: A person with a knowledge of many subjects is often
> called a 'walking' what?
>
> B) Encyclopedia

. o O ( Such as President Bartlet. )

> For $200: Which of the following phrases means "a type of
> underwear that covers the legs"?
>
> C) Longjohns
>
> For $300: Which of the following would you use to make objects that
> are far away appear closer?
>
> B) Binoculars.
>
> For $500: "Legit" is an informal abbreviation for which of the
> following words?
>
> A) Legitimate.
>
> For $1000: Which of the following is not considered a natural
> science?
>
> A) Bilogy B) Botany
> C) Chemistry D) Mathematics
> D) Mathematics.
>
> The regular contestants are off until the 27th, as Classic TV stars
> take over. Joy of joys. The episode on next Friday is listed in my
> TV Guide as being 90 minutes long. If you thought this Friday recap
> took a long time to get sent. I'm gonna need a lot of Jolt to get
> through that one.
>
> See you back here Thursday.
> -----
> The above e-mail address exists solely as a spam catcher. If
> you wish to respond, do so via the newsgroup.

. o O ( "Pop-Up Video" is a trademark of VH-1, Viacom, and Spin the
Bottle Productions. )

. o O ( Adapted for atgs by Dean Scungio. )

. o O ( POP! )

Rob Richardson

Mar 18, 2001, 6:40:40 AM3/18/01
I missed this one but are these fastest finger times right? Jeeesh ... I
could answer most of the questions but I don't think I could ever post a
sub-1 second time on anything. How does one develop such speeds? Do I need
to get a Play Station?

<vicste...@mailexcite.com> wrote in message

Brett A. Pasternack

Mar 20, 2001, 2:43:24 AM3/20/01
Rob Richardson wrote:

> I missed this one but are these fastest finger times right? Jeeesh ... I
> could answer most of the questions but I don't think I could ever post a
> sub-1 second time on anything. How does one develop such speeds? Do I need
> to get a Play Station?

As Vic explained in the very recap you're responding to, there was a
visually impaired contestant on the show that night. When that is the
case, they read the four answers before the clock starts, thus resulting
in much faster times than usual.