CP Millionaire (US) 9/7/2000

Charlie Pevey

Sep 8, 2000, 2:10:47 AM9/8/00
to WWTBAM, GS-L
WWTBAM Update (US)
September 7, 2000

On Tuesday, Jennifer Perrine, a hottie in leather pants with a visible
tattoo and a nose ring, walked our with $16,000. Me and short-haired
brunettes -- go figure.

Shelton Basham, our mobile plane_arium operator from Westminster (Orange
County -- that's an hour and change commute from me), CA. He goes
through the order of the planets as he'd describe them to the kids.
Pretty funny. Going to the plane_arium in New York tomorrow.

Regis is all in black and charcoal grey today.

For $16,000:
Where is an equilibrist most likely to work?
A: Courthouse B: Circus C: Orchestra D: Laboratory

Leaning to C...away from D.

He phones his grandfather, Tearse, a nuclear physicist. He's sure it's
a high-wire walker at a circus.

He goes with B. Final answer.

Grandpa's right!

For $32,000:
In June 2000, Eric Clapton released an album with what other guitar
legend?
A: Jimmy Page B: Les Paul C: Eddie Van Halen D: B.B. King

Halfers, please.
A: Jimmy Page D: B.B. King

He's looking at a down payment on a house.

And since he doesn't know for sure, he's gonna stop.

Had he said his hunch, Jimmy Page...

he'd have lost most of the down payment. It was B.B. King.

That's our second consecutive $16,000 walk.

Four women, no obvious minorities in the outer circle tonight.

FFQ: Movies, order of release, earliest first:
A: Good Will Hunting B: Goodbye Girl
C: Good Morning, Vietnam D: GoodFellas

Correct order: B, C, D, A

5 of 10 -- Winner: Stefany Needel, 5.15 seconds!

Stefany is from Alexandria, VA, 22, on the fast track at George
Washington U., bachelors in business, masters in info systems, doing
software testing. Father in audience. On a family vacation in Egypt,
her father was offered 1,000 camels for her. Fortunately, he declined.

For $100:
What animal has historically been considered man's best friend?
A: Dog B: Horse C: Cat D: Iguana
A: Dog.

For $200:
If you are temporarily dazed from a blow to the head you are said to be
"seeing" what?
A: Diamonds B: Circles C: Stars D: The error of your ways
C: Stars.

For $300:
In police jargon, what do the letters APB stand for?
A: Arrest petty burglar B: Alert police blotter
C: All-points bulletin D: Always pack brownies
C: All-points bulletin.

For $500:
Where would you most likely use a Boogie Board?
A: On the dance floor B: At the beach
C: Around a campfire D: In a movie theater
B: At the beach.

For $1,000:
Which of the following songs was a Top 40 hit for Elvis Presley in 1956?
A: Little Red Corvette B: Yellow Submarine
C: White Rabbit D: Blue Suede Shoes
D: Blue Suede Shoes. She's got a thousand camels -- er, dollars.

For $2,000:
According to the 1980s TV commercial, what "does a body good"?
A: Visine B: Aerobics C: Milk D: Orange juice
C: Milk. I think that was a series of commercials.

For $4,000:
Diamonds are composed entirely of what element?
A: Carbon B: Iron C: Zinc D: Sodium
A: Carbon. A "girl's best friend" question to counter the "man's best
friend" question.

For $8,000:
Which of these cities is not located in the Republic of Ireland?
A: Dublin B: Limerick C: Cork D: Belfast

Having eliminated A and B verbally, she asks the audience...

0-8-34-58.

D: Belfast.

For $16,000:
In January 2000, former senator Bob Dole signed on as a guest political
commentator for what network?
A: MSNBC B: ABC C: Channel One D: Comedy Central

She remembers how "The Daily Show"'s Jon Stewart beat Dole in a game of
poker and got him signed up on...

D: Comedy Central.

BREAK!

[HUD/FHA, Met Life in San Francisco, that's a good Gateway ad, Oprah
talks to Al Gore on Monday -- oops, sorry, that's a t**k show]

Saw "Annie, Get Your Gun" on Broadway with Bernadette Peters. Sang in a
choir at the 1996 Presidential Inaugural Gala -- and Bernadette Peters
was there, too.

For $32,000:
What inventor is credited with saying, "Genius is one percent
inspiration and 99 percent perspiration"?
A: Alexander Graham Bell B: Thomas Edison
C: Benjamin Franklin D: Eli Whitney

She's sure it's not D or C...

Is it Bell or Edison?

She thought of Edison was a genius...

...she goes with Edison, final answer.

The lady's got a head on her shoulders...

...and 32 grand!

Five questions, PAF and 50:50 still with her.

In Herman Wouk's 1951, novel, what is the name of the vessel that
Captain Queeg commands?
A: Bounty B: Pequod C: Caine D: Ironsides

She doesn't think it's B or D. She remembers mutinies on the other two.

She's getting out the big guns on the PAF -- we're calling a 14 Clubber,
Michael Shutterly!!!

When reading the question to Michael, she only mentions Bounty and
Caine.

Right off the bat, he has 100% certainty on Caine.

Stefany says C, Caine, final answer.

(C lights up)

Shutterly nails another one!

For $125,000 and the Diamond Dozen:
In 2000, 90-year-old "Granny D" finished walking across the U.S. and was
later arrested twice, for what cause?
A: Gun control B: Campaign finance reform
C: Cancer prevention D: Social Security reform

50:50 leaves:
B: Campaign finance reform
D: Social Security reform

She's pretty sure it's D...

final answer.

(D lights up)

...and this is when you're supposed to zag instead of zig.

She's leaving with $32,000.

FFQ: Country songs on Billboard Top 40, earliest first:
A: Stand by Your Man B: How Will I Live
C: The Gambler D: Walkin' after Midnight

Correct order: D, A, C, B

2 of 9. Winner by 11 hundreths -- Marge Edminston, 9.96 seconds!

BREAK!

["Almost Famous", Olive Garden, no way am I getting on that roller
coaster in the Singulair commercial]

(money ladder intro)

Marge is from Tampa, FL, redhead, divorced, 11-year-old daughter,
brother Harry in audience (a union president in Orlando), information
services consultant, video game addict, loves Donkey Kong from N64.

For $100:
Which of these foods would most likely be described as "five-alarm"?
A: Chili B: Ice cream C: Pancakes D: Lettuce
A: Chili.

For $200:
What does it mean to "burn rubber"?
A: Overreact B: Accelerate car quickly
C: Study all night D: Overcook pasta
B: Accelerate car quickly.

For $300:
What animal phrase is the nickname for a surprising or lesser-known
candidate in an election?
A: Dark horse B: White elephant C: Spotted owl D: Wile E. Coyote
A: Dark horse.

For $500:
What state's two-letter postal abbreviation is also a word?
A: New Mexico B: Wyoming C: Georgia D: Oregon
D: Oregon (OR).

For $1,000:
During a lunar eclipse, what blocks the sun's rays from hitting the
moon?
A: Ozone layer B: Mercury C: Earth D: Orion
C: Earth. She's a thousandaire.

For $2,000:
On the TV series "Newhart", Dick Loudon was often visited by three
brothers, Larry, Darryl and whom?
A: Darryl B: Larry C: Elmer D: Teddy
"Hi. I'm Larry, this is my brother Darryl, and this is my other
brother..."
A: Darryl.

For $4,000:
On an official baseball scorecard, what team position is assigned the
numeral "1"?
A: First baseman B: Center fielder C: Pitcher D: Catcher

She's doesn't follow baseball at all; she's gonna call her brother Mick
on this one.

He believes in pitcher, 50% confidence.

She'll take a chance on C. Final answer.

First base is 3, center field is 8, pitcher is...

1! (Catcher is 2.)

BREAK!

[OT: MSN Companion -- is that any good?]

Her brother wanted her to practice her Fastest Finger wave. She went
with the crossed fingers, the most sincere one.

For $8,000:
What does the "F" stand for in FM radio?
A: Filter B: Frequency C: Factor D: Flux
B: Frequency.

For $16,000:
Many critics have called the 2000 movie "Chicken Run" a takeoff of what
classic film?
A: Midnight Run B: Cool Hand Luke
C: The Great Escape D: The Magnificent Seven
C: The Great Escape.

For $32,000:
Which of these countries has two queens, on of whom was born in the
United States?
A: Spain B: Sweden
C: Denmark D: Jordan

She remembers the news stories when King Hussein died.

D: Jordan. Final answer...

and she's got $32,000 guaranteed!

(milestone music)

Five to go. ATA and 50:50 left.

The $64,000 Question:
In the 1992 novel "The Pelican Brief", what U.S. officials are the
targets of an assassination plot?
A: U.S. Senators B: CIA agents
C: Supreme Court Justices D: Joint Chiefs of Staff

Now's the time to use ATA.

6-12-76-6. Wow. Above the British threshold.

C: Supreme Court Justices, final answer.

...only once before has the audience been right at $64,000...

...some question about hummus being made of chickpeas...

...and here...

...THEY'RE RIGHT AGAIN!

BREAK!

["Nurse Betty" starts tomorrow]

(closeup shot of $64,000 check)

Her daughter's backstage going bonkers. Marge would like to take her on
a ski trip.

Four questions remain. 50:50 is still there.

What female singer has had the most #1 singles on the Billboard Hot 100
chart?
A: Mariah Carey B: Madonna C: Janet Jackson D: Whitney Houston

Let's do the 50:50:

A: Mariah Carey B: Madonna

"My daughter would know this." Yeah, but this ain't Twenty-One, with
the Second Chance thing.

She's walking.

Her guess was Madonna...

...but Mariah Carey has 15 #1 singles to Madonna's 11. Good thing she
stopped.

Nice shot of the daughter, Christina. Marge can put that $64,000 to use
for a great ski trip.

FFQ: Presidential line of succession, highest first:
A: Vice President B: Secretary of Defense
C: Attorney General D: Speaker of the House

Correct order: A, D, B, C

2 of 8. Winner: Paul Young -- 6.15 seconds!

(Patricia Demsky snookered again -- two questions finishing second of
two!)

Paul is a balding gentleman from Boring, OR (yeah, that's the name of
the town!)

For $100:
What word is commonly used to describe a person who pries into others'
private affairs?
A: Handy B: Army C: Nosey D: Mother
C: Nosey.

For $200:
Which is these is a common phrase meaning an unattainable goal or empty
promise?
A: Pie on the tie B: Pie in the sky
C: Pie after pie D: No new taxes
B: Pie in the sky.

**AH-WHOO!**

Next show TUESDAY, September 12, at 8, 7 Central. (The Emmys preempt
the Sunday telecast.) Enjoy the UK updates on alt.tv.game-shows.

If you'd like to see Who Wants To Be a Millionaire? in person, and
you're going to be in the New York City area, call this number...
212/735-5369.

If you want some practice being on the show, play online at abc.go.com,
or play the computer game, or get the quiz book! You can play the board
game, too! And now, get the daily desk calendar and be a millionaire
every day of the year!

WHO WANTS TO BE A MILLIONAIRE? was created by David Briggs with Michael
Whitehill and Steve Knight for Celador Productions, and is produced in
the United States by Valleycrest Productions for Buena Vista Television.

MILLIONAIRE?: Copyright 2000
Valleycrest Productions and Buena Vista Television.
This Update is Copyright 2000 Charlie Pevey.
All Rights Reserved.

All game material contained herein remains the property of Valleycrest
and BVTV. Opinions expressed in this update are solely those of the
compiler.

Stick your neck out with pride! From La Crescenta, everybody, good
night!
--
"He wanted Bill Cullen, and he's been dead for eight years!"
--Regis Philbin, on Michael Davies's plans for a host for "Who Wants to

/^-^\
|o o| Charlie Pevey
| ^ | charliepv at mindspring dot com
|---| (use correct punctuation to reply, please)
\___/ http://CharliePevey.tripod.com/
| |
| |
\ \_________
| o o \---
| o o o | \
|-----------|
| | | |
| | | |
o o o o

Zach Horan

Sep 8, 2000, 8:41:40 AM9/8/00
>FFQ: Country songs on Billboard Top 40, earliest first:
>A: Stand by Your Man B: How Will I Live
>C: The Gambler D: Walkin' after Midnight
>
>Correct order: D, A, C, B

I think they made a minor mistake, as the song is How DO I Live, not How WILL I
live.

Bob Bailin

Sep 8, 2000, 10:17:54 AM9/8/00
Charlie Pevey <char...@mindspring.com> writes:

> In Herman Wouk's 1951, novel, what is the name of the vessel that
> Captain Queeg commands?
> A: Bounty B: Pequod C: Caine D: Ironsides
>
> She doesn't think it's B or D. She remembers mutinies on the other two.
>
> She's getting out the big guns on the PAF -- we're calling a 14 Clubber,
> Michael Shutterly!!!
>
> When reading the question to Michael, she only mentions Bounty and
> Caine.
>
> Right off the bat, he has 100% certainty on Caine.

And says that he's not Durst-ing her on this one...

> Stefany says C, Caine, final answer.
>
> (C lights up)

> Shutterly nails another one!

--
Bob Bailin
72027...@compuserve.com

Sam Johnson

Sep 8, 2000, 7:49:39 PM9/8/00
Charlie Pevey <char...@mindspring.com> wrote in message

> 50:50 leaves:
> B: Campaign finance reform
> D: Social Security reform
>
> She's pretty sure it's D...
>
> final answer.
>
> (D lights up)

> ...and this is when you're supposed to zag instead of zig.
>
> She's leaving with $32,000.

...thanks to Regis' prompting. It's bad enough that he does it when he and
everyone else knows the answer, but when he pretends to do so it's worse
than annoying.

Sam Johnson

MSTieScott

Sep 8, 2000, 9:16:02 PM9/8/00

> > 50:50 leaves:
> > B: Campaign finance reform
> > D: Social Security reform
> >
> > She's pretty sure it's D...
> >
> > final answer.
> >
> > (D lights up)

> > ...and this is when you're supposed to zag instead of zig.
> >
> > She's leaving with $32,000.
>
> ...thanks to Regis' prompting. It's bad enough that he does it when
he and
> everyone else knows the answer, but when he pretends to do so it's
worse
> than annoying.

I'm hoping that that'll teach Regis to shut up and quit giving hints...
for a while, at least.

--
Scott Robinson
http://www.geocities.com/mstiescott/

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Randy Amasia

Sep 8, 2000, 11:30:46 PM9/8/00

"MSTieScott" <mstie...@my-deja.com> wrote in message

> > > 50:50 leaves:
> > > B: Campaign finance reform
> > > D: Social Security reform
> > >
> > > She's pretty sure it's D...
> > >
> > > final answer.
> > >
> > > (D lights up)

> > > ...and this is when you're supposed to zag instead of
zig.

> > > She's leaving with $32,000.
> >
> > ...thanks to Regis' prompting. It's bad enough that he
does it when
> he and
> > everyone else knows the answer, but when he pretends to
do so it's
> worse
> > than annoying.
>
> I'm hoping that that'll teach Regis to shut up and quit
giving hints...
> for a while, at least.

IINM, contestants are brief not to listen to Regis, that he
doesn't always know the answer.

--
Randy Amasia
Vote for Frank, the RIGHT! choice in 2000. WOW! Frank2K!

S&F Chu

Sep 9, 2000, 1:43:36 AM9/9/00

Charlie Pevey wrote:

> WWTBAM Update (US)
> September 7, 2000
>

> In Herman Wouk's 1951, novel, what is the name of the vessel that
> Captain Queeg commands?
> A: Bounty B: Pequod C: Caine D: Ironsides
>
> She doesn't think it's B or D. She remembers mutinies on the other two.
>
> She's getting out the big guns on the PAF -- we're calling a 14 Clubber,
> Michael Shutterly!!!

Who else could it be?

> When reading the question to Michael, she only mentions Bounty and
> Caine.
>
> Right off the bat, he has 100% certainty on Caine.
>
> Stefany says C, Caine, final answer.
>
> (C lights up)

> Shutterly nails another one!
>

> Many critics have called the 2000 movie "Chicken Run" a takeoff of what
> classic film?
> A: Midnight Run B: Cool Hand Luke
> C: The Great Escape D: The Magnificent Seven
> C: The Great Escape.

It should be a great movie when it opens here.

> What female singer has had the most #1 singles on the Billboard Hot 100
> chart?
> A: Mariah Carey B: Madonna C: Janet Jackson D: Whitney Houston
>
> Let's do the 50:50:
>
> A: Mariah Carey B: Madonna
>
> "My daughter would know this." Yeah, but this ain't Twenty-One, with
> the Second Chance thing.
>
> She's walking.
>
> Her guess was Madonna...

> ...but Mariah Carey has 15 #1 singles to Madonna's 11. Good thing she
> stopped.

It's now 12.

Francis Chu
Sydney, Australia
sf...@tig.com.au

MSTieScott

Sep 9, 2000, 9:41:58 AM9/9/00

> IINM, contestants are brief not to listen to Regis, that he
> doesn't always know the answer.

That still doesn't mean he should be doing it. Regis' role on the show
is to inform the contestants about where they stand, not to be a second
opinion. Lately, it seems like he's been trying to play the game through
the contestants.

Just because I should ignore somebody who flips me off doesn't mean that
they should be doing it in the first place.