MAO SAYDONG???

1 view

David Johnson

Aug 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/8/00
Please remove NOSPAM to send e-mail

Visit My Home Page!

gen...@concentric.net

Aug 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/9/00
dpjohns...@webtv.net (David Johnson) wrote:

> Apparently, the question writer for WWTBAM merely heard a spoken
> reference to the historic figure Mao-Tse Tung and wasn't aware of his
> name's correct spelling, or there is another historic figure named Mao
> Saydong whom most of us have never heard of till now.

I'm no expert, but it seems to me that, some years ago, English
transliterations of Chinese names underwent a major revision, instigated
by the Chinese themselves. So Mao Tse-tung became Mao Zedong, Teng
Hsiao-ping turned into Deng Xiaoping, and Peking was transformed into
Beijing.

Any Chinese-Americans out there who can explain this more fully?

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Matt Ottinger

Aug 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/9/00

David Johnson wrote:

> Apparently, the question writer for WWTBAM merely heard a
> spoken
> reference to the historic figure Mao-Tse Tung and wasn't
> aware of his
> name's correct spelling, or there is another historic
> figure named Mao
> Saydong whom most of us have never heard of till now.

Apparently, the writer of the above post isn't aware that
Mao Zedong -- the spelling they used on the show, BTW -- is
the standard anglicized spelling of his name used by most
reference books and news agencies, and has been for more
than a decade.

WWTBAM 1 David Johnson 0

--Matt
otti...@acd.net

Dave Legler

Aug 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/10/00
In article <399214B3...@acd.net>, Matt Ottinger <otti...@acd.net>
writes:

>Apparently, the writer of the above post isn't aware that
>Mao Zedong -- the spelling they used on the show, BTW

Are you sure this was the spelling on the show? My memory may be faulty(or
they may have spelled it differently on ETV), but I was confused by the
spelling when it first came up, and I am familiar with the 'Zedong' spelling.
Seems to me it began with an 'S' but I can't remember for sure.

Dave Legler

Your Name Here:

Aug 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/10/00

<gen...@concentric.net> wrote in message

> I'm no expert, but it seems to me that, some years ago, English
> transliterations of Chinese names underwent a major revision, instigated
> by the Chinese themselves. So Mao Tse-tung became Mao Zedong, Teng
> Hsiao-ping turned into Deng Xiaoping, and Peking was transformed into
> Beijing.
>
> Any Chinese-Americans out there who can explain this more fully?

I'm not Chinese, but I can tell you that Mao Zedong's Chinese name, 毛澤東,
would be officially Pinyinized as "Mao2 Ze2 Dong1", Deng Xiaoping's name,
?小平, is "Deng4 Xiao3 Ping2" and Beijing's kanji, 北京, is "Bei3 Jing1".

Your Name Here:

Aug 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/10/00

<gen...@concentric.net> wrote in message
> I'm no expert, but it seems to me that, some years ago, English
> transliterations of Chinese names underwent a major revision, instigated
> by the Chinese themselves. So Mao Tse-tung became Mao Zedong, Teng
> Hsiao-ping turned into Deng Xiaoping, and Peking was transformed into
> Beijing.
>
> Any Chinese-Americans out there who can explain this more fully?

I'm not Chinese, but I can tell you that Mao Zedong's Chinese name, 毛泽东,

would be officially Pinyinized as "Mao2 Ze2 Dong1", Deng Xiaoping's name,

邓小平, is "Deng4 Xiao3 Ping2" and Beijing's kanji, 北京, is "Bei3 Jing1".

berse...@my-deja.com

Aug 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/11/00
From my understanding, originally, the Wades-Gilles system was used,
which took the Chinese, translated it to Latin, then Anglicized it.
The current Pinyin system is "supposedly" more accurate, but they both
have their quirks from my experience.

In article <8mqv4i$5mq$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>,
gen...@concentric.net wrote:

> dpjohns...@webtv.net (David Johnson) wrote:
>

> > Apparently, the question writer for WWTBAM merely heard a spoken
> > reference to the historic figure Mao-Tse Tung and wasn't aware of
his
> > name's correct spelling, or there is another historic figure named
Mao
> > Saydong whom most of us have never heard of till now.
> >

> I'm no expert, but it seems to me that, some years ago, English
> transliterations of Chinese names underwent a major revision,
instigated
> by the Chinese themselves. So Mao Tse-tung became Mao Zedong, Teng
> Hsiao-ping turned into Deng Xiaoping, and Peking was transformed into
> Beijing.
>
> Any Chinese-Americans out there who can explain this more fully?

DrBear

Aug 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/11/00
On Thu, 10 Aug 2000 16:23:09 -0400, "Your Name Here:" <n...@email.cc> wrote:

><gen...@concentric.net> wrote in message

>> I'm no expert, but it seems to me that, some years ago, English
>> transliterations of Chinese names underwent a major revision, instigated
>> by the Chinese themselves. So Mao Tse-tung became Mao Zedong, Teng
>> Hsiao-ping turned into Deng Xiaoping, and Peking was transformed into
>> Beijing.
>>
>> Any Chinese-Americans out there who can explain this more fully?
>

>I'm not Chinese, but I can tell you that Mao Zedong's Chinese name, 毛泽东,
>would be officially Pinyinized as "Mao2 Ze2 Dong1", Deng Xiaoping's name,
>邓小平, is "Deng4 Xiao3 Ping2" and Beijing's kanji, 北京, is "Bei3 Jing1".

And, strangely enough, Chou En-Lai's name is actually spelled "Whoopi Goldberg."

Mark J.

Aug 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/14/00
Previously on a.t.g-s, The Game Show King quoted Matt Ottinger:

>>Apparently, the writer of the above post isn't aware that
>>Mao Zedong -- the spelling they used on the show, BTW
>
>Are you sure this was the spelling on the show? My memory may be faulty(or
>they may have spelled it differently on ETV), but I was confused by the
>spelling when it first came up, and I am familiar with the 'Zedong' spelling.
>
>Seems to me it began with an 'S' but I can't remember for sure.

Yes, the modernized spelling was used on the actual graphic during the show.

Mark Jeffries
Vote for Frank, the RIGHT! choice in 2000. WOW! Frank2K!