Head in a jar started when?

Thomas Andersson

Jun 18, 2002, 10:58:48 AM6/18/02
Hi!

Just watched a ep of Simpsons when Bart was the "I didn't do it boy"..
In that there was a short gameshow bit where one of the contenders was
someone famous' head in a jar... That made me wonder when heads in jars
first occurred, until now I thought that it was something futuristic
Futurama only thingie...

Best Wishes
Thomas

Robert J. Muldoon

Jun 18, 2002, 1:52:04 PM6/18/02

It's been done in many old sci-fi movies ages ago. I'm sure some others on
the group can give you complete lists of them. ;-)

--
Sincerely,
Robert J. Muldoon

"The 'Scooby-Doo' cartoon has been around since 1969, but it's never been
more than a marginally interesting diversion for kids who are gobbling bowls
of sugar-coated cereal, or older kids who might be inhaling something
stronger."

We're back and better than ever! Well, we're not necessarily better,
actually we're pretty much the same, but we are back:
http://www.teamhomer.net/bolognaornot

S1.3 OFF+++ NED+++# ABE+++ FRI+++># CBG+++# BOB+++ ASS--- f++++ n--- pso
$+++ MG20, 7G09, 9F15, 2F13, 3F24, 3G01, 4F10, BABF07, AABF22----- M1984

Daniel Dreibelbis

Jun 19, 2002, 8:30:11 AM6/19/02
In article <ct00huollgj5bd33v...@4ax.com>,

Saturn S. Padua <calc...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> >Just watched a ep of Simpsons when Bart was the "I didn't do it boy"..
> >In that there was a short gameshow bit where one of the contenders was
> >someone famous' head in a jar...
>

> According to snpp, it's Kitty Carlile. And I still have no idea who
> she is.

that's Kitty Carlisle. She's probably most famous for being one of
the four celebrity panelists on a popular 1950s/60s game show called_To
Tell The Truth_ , in which they were presented with three people who all
claimed to be the same person, and had to figure who was the real deal
by asking them questions.

As to what she did to have her be a celebrity, I think she was a
minor actress.

--
Dan Dreibelbis, Guitar Nerd - Better Living Through Home Recording.

Now On MP3.COM for your listening pleasure!

http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/338/dan_dreibelbis.html

Now available - song #4, "Crush All Boxes"

200...@wongfaye.com

Jun 19, 2002, 1:16:06 PM6/19/02
i figured it started after world war 2 when people thought that they were
keeping hitlers brain alive in a jar somewhere in paraguay

JC

Jun 20, 2002, 9:20:41 AM6/20/02

<200...@wongfaye.com> wrote in message

> i figured it started after world war 2 when people thought that they were
> keeping hitlers brain alive in a jar somewhere in paraguay

That idea came from the schlock B-movie, "They Saved Hitler's Brain", which
some people have called the worst film ever made. (Search for the DVD review
at amazon.com). Groening is certainly familiar with it as shown by
references in the Simpsons. For example, Bart plays a video game called
"Save Hitler's Brain" in one episode.

200...@wongfaye.com

Jun 20, 2002, 11:45:14 AM6/20/02

: That idea came from the schlock B-movie, "They Saved Hitler's Brain", which

: some people have called the worst film ever made. (Search for the DVD review

but where did they get the idea for that movie

it was a common urban legend

Rev. Bleech_

Jun 20, 2002, 4:12:00 PM6/20/02
On Thu, 20 Jun 2002 14:20:41 +0100, "JC" <fae...@yahoo.co.uk> spewed
forth:

And my personal fave, Abe's "They'll never save your brain now, Hitler
!"
--
=-=-=-==-=-=-==-=-=-==-=-=-==-=-=-==-=-=-==-=-=-==-=-==-=-=
BleechWorld : Too Fly to Die - http://bleechworld.cjb.net

"OH MY!! There is some amazing underwear in here!"

Floyd Code : v1.2a r FU 0/0/r FD 0? 0 Animals/WYWH 40 289 26.2% <03jun02>

Rev. Bleech_

Jun 20, 2002, 4:12:45 PM6/20/02
On Thu, 20 Jun 2002 15:45:14 GMT, 200...@wongfaye.com spewed forth:

Uh, cite ? I sincerely doubt anyone truly thought there was a living
brain in a jar somewhere.

LooseChanj

Jun 20, 2002, 9:13:21 PM6/20/02
On or about Thu, 20 Jun 2002 14:20:41 +0100, JC <fae...@yahoo.co.uk> made the sensational claim that:

> That idea came from the schlock B-movie, "They Saved Hitler's Brain", which
> some people have called the worst film ever made. (Search for the DVD review
> at amazon.com). Groening is certainly familiar with it as shown by
> references in the Simpsons. For example, Bart plays a video game called
> "Save Hitler's Brain" in one episode.

I remember an old b&w movie which featured a bodyless woman's head, and I
*think* a man's as well. It was parodied in another movie I can't recall
the name of, but the heads ended up on dog bodies.
--
This is a siggy | To E-mail, do note | This space is for rent
It's properly formatted | who you mean to reply-to | Inquire within if you

Thomas Andersson

Jun 20, 2002, 9:16:13 PM6/20/02

"LooseChanj" <Loose...@aol.com> wrote in message

> I remember an old b&w movie which featured a bodyless woman's head, and I
> *think* a man's as well. It was parodied in another movie I can't recall
> the name of, but the heads ended up on dog bodies.

Mars Attacks!

;)

Daniel Dreibelbis

Jun 20, 2002, 10:40:01 PM6/20/02
In article <R4vQ8.13791$0g1.3...@twister.tampabay.rr.com>,
LooseChanj <Loose...@aol.com> wrote:

> I remember an old b&w movie which featured a bodyless woman's head, and I
> *think* a man's as well.

perhaps _The Brain That Wouldn't Die_? With that mad scientist who
was keeping his fiancee's head in what looked like a cake pan full of
alcohol. That one was so bad it wound up being on both _Elvira_ and
_MST3K_ !

" boy, does she have a chip on her shoulder! Oh, sorry....." - Crow
T. Robot commenting on _The Brain That Wouldn't Die_

Robert J. Muldoon

Jun 20, 2002, 10:53:54 PM6/20/02
<< Mars Attacks! >>

Yeesh! Talk about MST3K material....

Robert J. Muldoon

Jun 20, 2002, 11:11:43 PM6/20/02
<< I sincerely doubt anyone truly thought there was a living brain in a jar
somewhere. >>

There was a conspiracy theory in the 1970's which said that after WWII,
Hitler and some of his men had escaped to Argentina, then to the South Pole,
where they went inside of the earth and established a military colony that
developed flying saucers. This is true; they even went as far to say that
Admiral Byrd went to the Pole with military equipment from the Allies and
attempted to defeat them, but lost the battle.

Rev. Bleech_

Jun 20, 2002, 11:50:29 PM6/20/02
On Fri, 21 Jun 2002 03:11:43 GMT, "Robert J. Muldoon"
<nob...@replay.net> spewed forth:

><< I sincerely doubt anyone truly thought there was a living brain in a jar
>somewhere. >>
>
>There was a conspiracy theory in the 1970's which said that after WWII,
>Hitler and some of his men had escaped to Argentina, then to the South Pole,
>where they went inside of the earth and established a military colony that
>developed flying saucers. This is true; they even went as far to say that
>Admiral Byrd went to the Pole with military equipment from the Allies and
>attempted to defeat them, but lost the battle.

You know, I tried to think of a better reply, but all I can manage is
this - :|

--
=-=-=-==-=-=-==-=-=-==-=-=-==-=-=-==-=-=-==-=-=-==-=-==-=-=
BleechWorld : Too Fly to Die - http://bleechworld.cjb.net
To e-mail me, nevermind the BOLLOCKS | Yar. FOAD.
=-=-=-==-=-=-==-=-=-==-=-=-==-=-=-==-=-=-==-=-=-==-=-==-=-=

People are aware, but not that bothered

Rev. Bleech_

Jun 20, 2002, 11:51:24 PM6/20/02
On Fri, 21 Jun 2002 02:53:54 GMT, "Robert J. Muldoon"
<nob...@replay.net> spewed forth:

><< Mars Attacks! >>

>Yeesh! Talk about MST3K material....

heh, well that was kind of the point...

-Bleech_ (who still thinks it was a better alien invasion movie than
Independence Day)

--
=-=-=-==-=-=-==-=-=-==-=-=-==-=-=-==-=-=-==-=-=-==-=-==-=-=
BleechWorld : Too Fly to Die - http://bleechworld.cjb.net
To e-mail me, nevermind the BOLLOCKS | Yar. FOAD.
=-=-=-==-=-=-==-=-=-==-=-=-==-=-=-==-=-=-==-=-=-==-=-==-=-=

"OH MY!! There is some amazing underwear in here!"

Floyd Code : v1.2a r FU 0/0/r FD 0? 0 Animals/WYWH 40 289 26.2% <03jun02>

Robert J. Muldoon

Jun 21, 2002, 12:44:59 AM6/21/02
<< who still thinks it was a better alien invasion movie than Independence
Day >>

"The Deadly Mantis" was better!

Message has been deleted

Rev. Bleech_

Jun 21, 2002, 1:24:06 AM6/21/02
On 21 Jun 2002 04:39:05 GMT, Howard Wilson II
<rem...@bluedemesnes.com> spewed forth:

>Rev. Bleech_ <ble...@bo-nc.ll-rr.ock-com.s> wrote in

>> Uh, cite ? I sincerely doubt anyone truly thought there was a living
>> brain in a jar somewhere.
>

>Don't you listen to Weird Al? From the song 'Midnight Star':
>
>"They're keeping Hitler's brain alive inside a jar"!

DAMMIT. Foiled again by that magnificent bastard

--
=-=-=-==-=-=-==-=-=-==-=-=-==-=-=-==-=-=-==-=-=-==-=-==-=-=
BleechWorld : Too Fly to Die - http://bleechworld.cjb.net
To e-mail me, nevermind the BOLLOCKS | Yar. FOAD.
=-=-=-==-=-=-==-=-=-==-=-=-==-=-=-==-=-=-==-=-=-==-=-==-=-=

"Itchy itchy Scott came. Ugly face so killed him."

Larry

Jun 21, 2002, 5:17:28 AM6/21/02
On Fri, 21 Jun 2002 07:43:41 GMT, Hundsfurtz
<hunds...@BAHSPAMlasvegas.com> wrote:

>Wasn't Ed Wood's Plan 9 From Outer Space voted the worst movie of all
>time, several times over, and now holds that distinction for
>perpetuity? T.S.H.B. was a mishmash of films started in the 50's and
>then completed in the 60's, whereas Plan 9 was a "real" theatrical
>release from a "real" director.

Plan 9 was indeed voted the worst ever, but that is still just a
collective opinion. Destroy All Monsters is considered worst by some.
If you watch Win Ben Stein's Money regularly, "Showgirls" has also
been mentioned.

Since the higher the ideals of the movie's producer, the further it
has to fall, I would nominate "Billy Jack Goes to Washington". If "The
Trial of Billy Jack" was "Citizen Kane", then "Billy Jack Goes to
Washington" would still suck.

As for the brain in a jar concept. Didn't Mary Shelley use that in the
original "Frankenstein"? I've seen in a few movie versions, but I have
never read the original.

--Larry

Matthew Miller

Jun 21, 2002, 9:16:49 AM6/21/02
Hundsfurtz <hunds...@BAHSPAMlasvegas.com> wrote:
>Taken from the forensic practice of preserving body parts in glass
>containers/jars a la Einstein's brian, perhaps?

Yeah, I think that's totally it. In addition to the Epistemology 101 problem
of "how do I tell I'm not just a brain in a vat?" (a la The Matrix).

I'm not sure where the concept of *live*, complete heads-in-jars with full
sensory contact with the world seems to have come from, though.

--
Matthew Miller mat...@mattdm.org <http://www.mattdm.org/>
Boston University Linux ------> <http://linux.bu.edu/>

Daniel Dreibelbis

Jun 21, 2002, 10:40:47 AM6/21/02
In article <oip5huci8k38aeptp...@4ax.com>,
Larry <residen...@bigfoot.com> wrote:

> Plan 9 was indeed voted the worst ever, but that is still just a
> collective opinion. Destroy All Monsters is considered worst by some.
> If you watch Win Ben Stein's Money regularly, "Showgirls" has also
> been mentioned.

though I'm a huge _Plan 9_ fan, there's a movie even more wretched
than that - _The Creeping Terror_. Everything that could've went wrong
did go wrong - the monsters were basically a carpet with college kids
underneath it (you can even see their running shoes!), they lost the
soundtrack so they got a driver's ed instructor to narrate the action.
And the acting was more wooden than the utility shelf display at IKEA.

Apparently the story behind the film was more entertaining - it was
all done by a slick con man who tricked the town of Lake Tahoe into
investing in what he claimed would be the ultimate horror movie. He
actually charged the actors and scriptwriter money for the privilege to
work on his film! And the suckers came, the guy had to work in some mass
carnage scenes in which all the "actors" were eaten in one gulp by the
monster, despite the fact that it was so unwieldly they could've easily
outrun it.

You know, if Mel Brooks hadn't used this con as the basis for _The
Producers_, he should've.

"And what's you're favorite scary movie?"
"_Showgirls_" - SCREAM 2

Jason Saslow

Jun 21, 2002, 10:01:33 AM6/21/02
"Robert J. Muldoon" wrote:

> << Mars Attacks! >>
>
> Yeesh! Talk about MST3K material....

If they're talking about the movie I think they're talking about, then
it WAS made into an episode of MST3K...

I know for sure, there is an episode of MST3K using a movie I believe
was called "The Head That Wouldn't Die" or something to that effect...

--
Please note: You can contact me directly by sending e-mail to
dev-...@saslow.com, but you must put "[alt-tv-simpsons]" in

Jason Saslow

Jun 21, 2002, 10:02:27 AM6/21/02
Daniel Dreibelbis wrote:

> In article <R4vQ8.13791$0g1.3...@twister.tampabay.rr.com>,
> LooseChanj <Loose...@aol.com> wrote:
>
> > I remember an old b&w movie which featured a bodyless woman's head, and I
> > *think* a man's as well.
>
> perhaps _The Brain That Wouldn't Die_? With that mad scientist who
> was keeping his fiancee's head in what looked like a cake pan full of
> alcohol. That one was so bad it wound up being on both _Elvira_ and
> _MST3K_ !
>
> " boy, does she have a chip on her shoulder! Oh, sorry....." - Crow
> T. Robot commenting on _The Brain That Wouldn't Die_

Ah yes, that's the one to which I was referring...

Larry

Jun 21, 2002, 2:33:39 PM6/21/02
On Fri, 21 Jun 2002 09:40:47 -0500, Daniel Dreibelbis
<dre...@sympatico.ca> wrote:

> though I'm a huge _Plan 9_ fan, there's a movie even more wretched
>than that - _The Creeping Terror_. Everything that could've went wrong
>did go wrong - the monsters were basically a carpet with college kids
>underneath it (you can even see their running shoes!), they lost the
>soundtrack so they got a driver's ed instructor to narrate the action.
>And the acting was more wooden than the utility shelf display at IKEA.

The Creeping Terror was certainly a smoldering pile of dog droppings.
The "advantage" that Plan 9 has is that Ed Wood thought he was making
an important point. Sort of "if we keep making bigger weapons, we'll
piss off the aliens". The makers of "Attack of Some College Students
Under a Shag Rug" knew very well they were making a piece of garbage.

Another of my personal favorites is "The Terror of Tiny Town". In
general a forgettable western with two ranches feuding over some
cattle rustling. Complete with a Romeo & Juliet style love interest.
What made it memorable was the decision to cast the entire movie with
midgets. They couldn't afford to build their own sets, so they ran
around in full size buildings and rode ponies. The producers
envisioned a whole series of movies using all midgets, but never broke
even on the first one.

--Larry

To learn more about bad movies, read "The Golden Turkey Awards".

Leon Kowalski

Jun 22, 2002, 12:01:56 AM6/22/02
In article <slrnah69q0...@jadzia.bu.edu>,

mat...@mattdm.org (Matthew Miller) writes:

> I'm not sure where the concept of *live*, complete heads-in-jars with full
> sensory contact with the world seems to have come from, though.

Ron Popiel... "Hi, I'm the head of Ron Popiel. I invented the technology for
keeping human heads alive in jars indefinitely".

--
Leon Kowalski <N6MAC...@immanent.net>

Wetlab2

Jun 22, 2002, 10:21:27 AM6/22/02
not the first, but what about steve martin's "the man with two brains"?
didn't he put wax lips on a brain in a jar so he could kiss it?

> mat...@mattdm.org (Matthew Miller) writes:
>>
>> I'm not sure where the concept of *live*, complete heads-in-jars with full
>> sensory contact with the world seems to have come from, though.

************
In the darkness of future past,
the magician longs to see.
One chants out between two worlds,
FIRE, WALK WITH ME.
************
Blasphemy is a victimless crime.

Larry

Jun 22, 2002, 1:48:33 PM6/22/02
On 22 Jun 2002 14:21:27 GMT, wet...@aol.com (Wetlab2) wrote:

>not the first, but what about steve martin's "the man with two brains"?

That movie was totally under-rated. I thought the "drunk test" scene
was a classic.

>didn't he put wax lips on a brain in a jar so he could kiss it?

Yes, he did indeed. Well, he put the lips on the jar, not the brain.

--Larry

LooseChanj

Jun 22, 2002, 11:33:15 PM6/22/02
On or about Fri, 21 Jun 2002 03:16:13 +0200, Thomas Andersson
<ste...@karlstad.bonet.se> made the sensational claim that:

>> I remember an old b&w movie which featured a bodyless woman's head, and I
>> *think* a man's as well. It was parodied in another movie I can't recall
>> the name of, but the heads ended up on dog bodies.
>
> Mars Attacks!

Oh for pete's sake, how did I ever forget that.

LooseChanj

Jun 22, 2002, 11:41:38 PM6/22/02
On or about Fri, 21 Jun 2002 09:17:28 GMT, Larry <residen...@bigfoot.com> made the sensational claim that:

> As for the brain in a jar concept. Didn't Mary Shelley use that in the
> original "Frankenstein"? I've seen in a few movie versions, but I have
> never read the original.

No, as a matter of fact, the original novel had absolutely no grave robbing,
or even any implication human bodies were used at all. The "monster" was
portrayed as an original construction, what anyone nowadays would call an
android.

Jym Dyer

Jun 23, 2002, 2:00:02 PM6/23/02
> "They're keeping Hitler's brain alive inside a jar"!

=v= "But when you put it in the body of a great white shark,
uh-uhh, suddenly you've gone to far!"
<_Jym_>

Jym Dyer

Jun 23, 2002, 8:33:03 PM6/23/02
> "They're keeping Hitler's brain alive inside a jar"!

=v= "But when you put it in the body of a great white shark,

uh-uhh, suddenly you've gone too far!"
<_Jym_>

Nathan

Jul 1, 2002, 11:42:30 PM7/1/02
"Saturn S. Padua" <calc...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I understand why the head-in-the-jar exists in Futurama, (cameo
> vehicle) but it still irks me every now and then. It just seems so
> hit-and-miss funny at times.

When I first heard that the head-in-a-jar thing was going to be frequently
used on Futurama, I thought it would get old fast. They still manage to
write some good head-related jokes, but some of them are overused (breaking
the jars of unpopular celebrities) or just not very funny ("Bravehead"?
What 10-year-old came up with that?).

From a show continuity standpoint, however, something else bothers me about
the heads. How come we only ever see current celebrities? Shouldn't we
occasionally see some from the 22nd through 30th centuries? Was preserving
heads a fad that died out in the 21st century?

Nathan

Thomas Andersson

Jul 2, 2002, 1:21:25 AM7/2/02
Nathan <Dinne...@tmbg.org> wrote:

> From a show continuity standpoint, however, something else bothers me
> about the heads. How come we only ever see current celebrities?
> Shouldn't we occasionally see some from the 22nd through 30th
> centuries? Was preserving heads a fad that died out in the 21st
> century?

Well, we only know the current celebs.. for the others we'd have to make
them up.. and that would make the show unrealistic ;) ;)

Rev. Bleech_

Jul 2, 2002, 1:46:02 AM7/2/02
On Tue, 02 Jul 2002 03:42:30 GMT, "Nathan" <Dinne...@tmbg.org>
spewed forth:

More importantly, how the hell did they re-animate Nixon's head ?

--
=-=-=-==-=-=-==-=-=-==-=-=-==-=-=-==-=-=-==-=-=-==-=-==-=-=
BleechWorld : Too Fly to Die - http://bleechworld.cjb.net
To e-mail me, nevermind the BOLLOCKS | Yar. FOAD.
=-=-=-==-=-=-==-=-=-==-=-=-==-=-=-==-=-=-==-=-=-==-=-==-=-=

SPOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Floyd Code : v1.2a r FU 0/0/r FD 0? 0 Animals/WYWH 40 290 26.2% <23jun02>

Florian Lambers

Jul 2, 2002, 11:25:57 AM7/2/02
Rev. Bleech_ <ble...@bo-nc.ll-rr.ock-com.s> wrote:

> More importantly, how the hell did they re-animate Nixon's head ?

Yeah, and even more important: _WHY_?

Florian

--
Thought of the moment:
Epstein: Why do you think I'm a homosexual? Eugene: I guess it's because

Michael Zaite

Jul 2, 2002, 12:36:53 PM7/2/02

"Florian Lambers" <wizzz...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> Rev. Bleech_ <ble...@bo-nc.ll-rr.ock-com.s> wrote:
>
> > More importantly, how the hell did they re-animate Nixon's head ?
>
> Yeah, and even more important: _WHY_?

For the Hall of Presidents in the Head Museum. Gotta Collect 'em All!!!
--
Mike Zaite ICQ:25758172

Rev. Bleech_

Jul 2, 2002, 3:04:46 PM7/2/02
On Tue, 2 Jul 2002 17:25:57 +0200, Florian Lambers
<wizzz...@hotmail.com> spewed forth:

>Rev. Bleech_ <ble...@bo-nc.ll-rr.ock-com.s> wrote:
>
>> More importantly, how the hell did they re-animate Nixon's head ?
>
>Yeah, and even more important: _WHY_?

Maybe he never really died in the first place. I always had my
suspicions.

Good to see Washington was still so well-preserved though

--
=-=-=-==-=-=-==-=-=-==-=-=-==-=-=-==-=-=-==-=-=-==-=-==-=-=
BleechWorld : Too Fly to Die - http://bleechworld.cjb.net
To e-mail me, nevermind the BOLLOCKS | Yar. FOAD.
=-=-=-==-=-=-==-=-=-==-=-=-==-=-=-==-=-=-==-=-=-==-=-==-=-=

White guys : It will never fit if you force it

Larry

Jul 2, 2002, 5:18:36 PM7/2/02
<wizzz...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>> More importantly, how the hell did they re-animate Nixon's head ?
>
>Yeah, and even more important: _WHY_?

Perhaps as a bad example. Or, by the time they brought him back, they
had forgotten what he really was.

Naturally, they'd need all the presidents, but someone else already
said that.

--Larry

andrew...@gmail.com

Aug 6, 2012, 8:21:32 AM8/6/12