yet another updated version of AoI2 capsule

Tom Georgoulias

Feb 10, 2002, 1:00:23 PM2/10/02
More things were added, I adopted the capsule layout style of "A Head in
the Polls", and so on.

Unresolved questions:
1. Amy Wong has a Nobel Prize.
- I don't think she does and I took the line out, but it's up to the group
to come to consensus.

2. Was one of the robot characters from game Frenzy or Beserk?
- I think it's Beserk, but it's been a while since I've seen either. I
think Beserk came first, though.

3. What is the title of the opening sequence cartoon?

4. Who wrote "Christine"?

5. Where are Katrina & Xanthos (sp?) from? (meaning, where were these
characters taken from? I like Jym's idea that they were gratuitously
added, just like Scruffy was last AoI)

6. Was the picture of the guy in Dinkin Donuts logo a reference to Mayor
Dinkins? Is there actually a mayor by that name? I can't remember.

7. Can you shoot more that one shot at a time in the original Space
Invaders? I don't think you can, but I want input on this.

8. What game is the blue key from?

9. Was the gross, neon-ish colors in Wizzen a knock on the technicolor of
the Oz portion of the movie? I seem to recall my mother telling me
something along these lines: color film was introduced during the middle of
the filming the Wizard of Oz and they opted to use it to make the world
seem "magical." Or maybe they went back and added color to a B&W film and
that's why it looks the way it does.

As before, find errors, add comments, etc.
--Tom
Episode Capsule Submission
Official Title: Anthology of Interest II
Episode Number: 3ACV18
First Airdate : Sunday January 6, 2002
Written by : "I, Meatbag" by Lewis Morton
"Raiders of the Lost Arcade" by David X. Cohen
"Wizzen" by Jason Gorbett & Scott Kirby

> Title sequence

Opening theme promotion : Hey TiVo, Suggest This!
Opening theme cartoon : <some Mickey Mouse bit?>

> Synopsis

Three stories unfold when Professor Farnsworth fine-tunes his "What If"
machine. Bender discovers that if he were human, it would only take him a
week
to over-indulge and kill himself. Fry learns that his video game skills
wouldn't be good enough to protect earth from Space Invaders if life were
more
like a video game. Leela wonders what would happen if she found her true
home... but gets knocked out before she can see what the machine answers
and
dreams that her space ship crash lands on Planet Ozz and crushes an evil
witch
with ruby red boots.

> Did You Notice?

- The professor fine tunes his "What If?" machine with a hammer?

- The sign at Dinkin Donuts went from "Closed" to "Open" when human Bender
entered, then back to "Closed" when he left?

- The glassware used for drinks at each table in the Academy of Science
were beakers and Erlenmeyer & Florence flasks?

- The professor was able to determine the time of human Bender's death by
taking only his pulse?

- As Donkey Kong jumps across the roof of the UN building, the floors
underneath drop at an angle to form slopes just like the beginning of the
first level of Donkey Kong?

- All of the "wakka wakka wakka" sounds the characters made when moving
about were the same as those made by a moving Pac-Man who is eating dots?

- Three new ways to start the "What If?" machine: (1) Pulling a string like
a speaking doll (2) Lighting incense and paying homage( 3) Pulling a large
lever like a poker machine.

- The Centipede game screens in the war room background? Each screen was
from a different zoom view of the same game.

- Zoidberg vomits a pixelated pretzel, key, and cherry after leaving the
escape tunnel.

- The ship Fry was piloting was able to fire multiple shots at the Space
Invaders. (see comment)

- The space invaders video game characters that descended from the ship
were
Donkey Kong, Brain Wave from Robotron: 2084, <Beserk or Frenzy> robot,
Burger Time egg, and Q-bert.

- Scruffy the Janitor was the Man-Witch of the West?

_ The creatures who "resembled, but are legally distinct from the Lollypop
Guild" consisted of Tiny Timbot, a Grunka Lunka, a mutant child, Cubert,
the Neptunian couple from "A Tale of Two Santas", and a baby slug from
Wormulon.

- Scarecrow Fry never complained that he wanted a brain, but everyone
suggested that the Professor could give him one?

- Scarecrow Fry gently patted out the fire on his arm caused by Tin Man
Bender's whiskey induced burp, instead of freaking out?

> References (movies, books, etc.)

- I, Robot by Issac Asimov
First story title

- T.G.I. Friday's
D.U.I. Friday's

- Raiders of the Lost Ark
Second story title

- Asteroids Deluxe
Blue Vector Planet Express spaceship

- Battlezone
Green Vector Tank

- Colin Powell, Pac-Man video game
Colin Pac-Man, escape tunnels

- Super Mario Bros. video game
Exit tunnel from Pac-Man escape tunnel

- Space Invaders
Space Fight between Fry and Nintendoians

- Q-Bert, Donkey Kong, Burger Time, <Frenzy or Beserk>, Robotron
Nintendians include characters from these games

- Zero Wing
"All your bases are belong to us" (see comments)

- The Wizard of Oz
Third story plot

- NBC
Peacock in Oz world

- Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
One of the Munchkins is an Oompa Loompa (or Grunka Lunka, as they are called
in Futurama)

- Christine by <Stephen King or Stephen Kong>
The book Fry reads from to try to scare a crow

> Freeze Frame Fun
>> Intro
"Hey TiVo, Suggest This!"

>> Buildings/Signs

O'ZORGNAX'S PUB
Well Drinks $5
Sewer Drinks $2

MILATARI HQ

Signs on doors in Milatari HQ
MISSLE COMMAND
SECRETARY OF DEFENDER
MOON PATROL

Logo on ProfessorLand Fun Bucks:
"In Fun We Trust"

FAL1 (Futurama Alien Language #1) references:

1) TALE OF INTEREST
(really nice graphics of the letters in this one, too)

2) in the upper right hand corner of the Professorland Fun Bucks:
TOXIC INK

> Animation, continuity, and other goofs

Okay, here's something about [3ACV18] that's really silly,
but it has bugged me: Human Bender says "butt" instead of
"ass." Why? Note that "ass" is his favorite word, followed by
"daffodil," "metal," "shiny," etc. He couldn't really make his
customary use of "shiny" and "metal," but what stopped him from
saying "ass?"

It wasn't an ass-less episode though. We got some A-S-S from Fry when he got
the high score.

> Previous Episode References

Katrina, Xanthor
- Like Scruffy, these are characters who gratuitously became sudden
additions in an Anthology of Interest.

The toaster's third appearance as a character:
s02e19 Mother's Day: "The toaster's not working right either"
s02e08 Raging Bender: "I've taught the toaster to feel love"

> Other Comments

TiVo is one of many TV set recorders available in the market. These devices
allow you to record programs on television without the confusion of
programming
a VCR. Among the features on these devices includes one where the recorder
would automatically record your favorite shows as well as record shows that
the
device feels you may like.

Zero Wing is a mediocre shooter video game that was released for the Sega
Genesis in Japan and Europe, yet never arrived on American shores. However,
it
was able to receive some popularity in America thanks to one thing: the
Europeon version of the game, thanks to some awful translating to English,
has
some of the funniest examples of bad translation. Among them is a simple
quote
going, "All Your Bases Are Belong To Us." That line has quickly become a
recurring joke on the Internet, even inspiring a song about it.
http://www.planettribes.com/allyourbase/index.shtml

The original version of Space Invaders would only allow the player to have
one
shot active at a time on screen, probably due to processing requirements
for
the CPU to keep up with multiple projectiles from the same shooter.

When Q-bert steps off the ship, he says one line in his characteristic
backwards fashion. Thanks to miraculous PC technology, reversed wav & mp3
files were created to unravel Q-berts line: "Where can a guy get some
pants around here?" Fitting indeed, since Q-bert only wears a shirt!
http://www.nnyconline.de/media/sounds/gamechara.mp3

> Contributors

Joe Klemm
Tom Georgoulias
Ken Lilly
Jym Dyer
Boldra
Luther Miller
Robert J. Muldoon
Michael Herzog
various posts from alt.tv.futurama

Ken

Feb 10, 2002, 4:24:54 PM2/10/02
>Tom Georgoulias <to...@takeThisOut.io.com> wrote:
>2. Was one of the robot characters from game Frenzy or Beserk?
>- I think it's Beserk, but it's been a while since I've seen either. I
>think Beserk came first, though.
Bezerk - 1980 by Stern
Frenzy - 1982 by Stern
The robot was in the style of Bezerk, plus Frenzy had a more limited
release.

>4. Who wrote "Christine"?

Stephen King I think.

>6. Was the picture of the guy in Dinkin Donuts logo a reference to Mayor
>Dinkins? Is there actually a mayor by that name? I can't remember.

Yes, David Dinkins was mayor of "old" New York from 1990 to 1993, his
term was between those of Ed Koch and Rudy Guiliani.

>7. Can you shoot more that one shot at a time in the original Space
>Invaders? I don't think you can, but I want input on this.

Nope, just played the emulated version and you can't

>8. What game is the blue key from?

Like some of the other posts, I think this was more of a general
reference to the old games that required a key of some sorts.

Ken
----------------
Ken Lilly
a...@citlink.net.org
*remove .org to reply*
When diplomacy fails, send in the B-52's

Benjamin Gaede

Feb 10, 2002, 5:20:57 PM2/10/02

Tom Georgoulias schrieb:

>>5. Where are Katrina & Xanthos (sp?) from? (meaning, where were these
>>characters taken from? I like Jym's idea that they were gratuitously added,
just >>like Scruffy was last AoI)

The second guy looked very much like a Romulan to me, and I think his name was
Zenn-Vorr (or at least I think that is how you would write a Romulan name, I'm not
much of a Trekkie myself)

no...@leaveme.com

Feb 10, 2002, 6:15:01 PM2/10/02

>7. Can you shoot more that one shot at a time in the original Space
>Invaders? I don't think you can, but I want input on this.

Well in the Atari 2600 version the default was one shot, but not
because of the CPU. There is a cheat to allow 2 shots, see
http://www.atariage.com/software_hints.html?SoftwareLabelID=462

-locat

Matthew Miller

Feb 10, 2002, 8:18:20 PM2/10/02
Tom Georgoulias <to...@takeThisOut.io.com> wrote:
>Unresolved questions:
>1. Amy Wong has a Nobel Prize.
>- I don't think she does and I took the line out, but it's up to the group
>to come to consensus.

Totally doesn't. She was being singled out in particular for not having one.

>7. Can you shoot more that one shot at a time in the original Space
>Invaders? I don't think you can, but I want input on this.

Yeah, just one at a time. A lot of clones behave differently though, and I
think some even had powerups and such to give multiple shots.

>8. What game is the blue key from?

First game I remember playing that had that was Wolfenstein 3D. But there
was probably something earlier.

>9. Was the gross, neon-ish colors in Wizzen a knock on the technicolor of
>the Oz portion of the movie? I seem to recall my mother telling me
>something along these lines: color film was introduced during the middle of
>the filming the Wizard of Oz and they opted to use it to make the world
>seem "magical." Or maybe they went back and added color to a B&W film and
>that's why it looks the way it does.

I always thought that the movie was colorized sometime later, but I did a
web search and it turns out your mother was basically right -- it was made
right when color was becoming possible, and the studio wanted it to be in
color as a kind of showpiece for how cool they were. Apparently this is why
there are silver slippers in the book and colorful ruby ones in the movie.

Alright, that's all I wanted to know about that movie. Moving on....

--
Matthew Miller mat...@mattdm.org <http://www.mattdm.org/>
Boston University Linux ------> <http://linux.bu.edu/>

Alan Hamilton

Feb 10, 2002, 8:44:46 PM2/10/02
On Sun, 10 Feb 2002 18:00:23 GMT, Tom Georgoulias
<to...@takeThisOut.io.com> wrote:

>9. Was the gross, neon-ish colors in Wizzen a knock on the technicolor of
>the Oz portion of the movie? I seem to recall my mother telling me
>something along these lines: color film was introduced during the middle of
>the filming the Wizard of Oz and they opted to use it to make the world
>seem "magical." Or maybe they went back and added color to a B&W film and
>that's why it looks the way it does.

Color started being used in the 1920s, a limited two-color system with
red and blue-green prints. The full three-color system was used
starting in 1932. Disney was one of the first to use it, for cartoons
including "The Three Little Pigs".

Technicolor was much more expensive than b&w (remember, not just the
negatives but all the prints sent to each theater had to be in color
as well), but it was popular so the studios used it more and more in
the late 30s, including in the 1939 "Wizard of Oz". I think the b&w
to color transition, plus the garish Oz, was a way of saying, "Hey,
everybody! COLOR!"

"Oz" was not colorized, and despite jokes about it, the Kansas
segments are still in b&w.
--
/
/ * / Alan Hamilton

Doug Tabacco

Feb 10, 2002, 8:57:44 PM2/10/02
"Silly Symphonies" was the official term for the series of color shorts :)

"Alan Hamilton" <al...@arizonaroads.com> wrote in message

Lyle McDonald

Feb 10, 2002, 9:39:09 PM2/10/02
Alan Hamilton wrote:

> On Sun, 10 Feb 2002 18:00:23 GMT, Tom Georgoulias
> <to...@takeThisOut.io.com> wrote:
>
> >9. Was the gross, neon-ish colors in Wizzen a knock on the technicolor of
> >the Oz portion of the movie? I seem to recall my mother telling me
> >something along these lines: color film was introduced during the middle of
> >the filming the Wizard of Oz and they opted to use it to make the world
> >seem "magical." Or maybe they went back and added color to a B&W film and
> >that's why it looks the way it does.
>
> Color started being used in the 1920s, a limited two-color system with
> red and blue-green prints. The full three-color system was used
> starting in 1932. Disney was one of the first to use it, for cartoons
> including "The Three Little Pigs".
>
> Technicolor was much more expensive than b&w (remember, not just the
> negatives but all the prints sent to each theater had to be in color
> as well), but it was popular so the studios used it more and more in
> the late 30s, including in the 1939 "Wizard of Oz". I think the b&w
> to color transition, plus the garish Oz, was a way of saying, "Hey,
> everybody! COLOR!"

I doubt it.
More likely it was to make an extreme contrast between reality/Kansas
and dreamworld/Oz both symbolically and literally.

That is, we have Dorothy living in her drab little B&W reality back in
Kansas, who is transported to the mystical, magical (and colorful) world
of Oz. It makes the two worlds contrast with one another far more
effectively. And think if it had been reversed, Kansas in color and Oz
in B&W. Despite being more accurate (in that dreams tend to be in B&W),
would the shift have made as much sense? I mean, would we want our
dreamworlds to be MORE drab than reality?

Basically, I think its use was a little more deliberate and planned w/in
the context of the story than to say 'Hey, look at what we can do with
technoology'. That would describe Star Wars Episode 1 much more effectively.

&c &c.

Lyle

Ryan W. Mead

Feb 10, 2002, 9:50:58 PM2/10/02
Tom Georgoulias <to...@takeThisOut.io.com> wrote in message news:<Xyy98.50318$QS5.3...@bin2.nnrp.aus1.giganews.com>...

Thanks to miraculous PC technology, reversed wav & mp3
> files were created to unravel Q-berts line: "Where can a guy get some
> pants around here?" Fitting indeed, since Q-bert only wears a shirt!

Q-bert doesn't even wear a shirt! He's completly naked, save for some
fur all over him. I don't really think they make shirts that go over a
big nose like that.

Larry

Feb 10, 2002, 10:58:45 PM2/10/02
<to...@takeThisOut.io.com> wrote:

>Unresolved questions:
>1. Amy Wong has a Nobel Prize.
>- I don't think she does and I took the line out, but it's up to the group
>to come to consensus.

No she doesn't. The professor says "Take that everyone who doesn't
have a Nobel prize and that includes you Amy". Amy then cries because
her parent's money couldn't buy her a Nobel prize. Unlike the Golden
Globe that Pia Zadora's parent's bought for her.

>4. Who wrote "Christine"?

Like the dictionary, it was written by Stephen King.

>7. Can you shoot more that one shot at a time in the original Space
>Invaders? I don't think you can, but I want input on this.

Yes, it's a single shot at a time. If you missed, you were helpless
until it hit the top of the screen.

Another point on the Space Invaders sequence. Shooting through your
own defenses so you could shoot back in safety was a strategy
generally used by beginners. Better players realized that it only
provided limited protection for a very short time and you were trapped
in one place while you used it.

>8. What game is the blue key from?

Doom, Doom 2, Quake II and many other games used various keys. I have
seen blue keys in a bunch of games.

--Larry

Tom Georgoulias

Feb 10, 2002, 11:19:30 PM2/10/02
Larry wrote:

>>8. What game is the blue key from?
>>
> Doom, Doom 2, Quake II and many other games used various keys. I have
> seen blue keys in a bunch of games.

Me too, but I was wondering if there was one in particular that fit the
time frame in which they drew material from.

OK, I took the input on Q-bert, Berserk, Stephen King, Space Invader shots,
and Amy Wong's lack of a Nobel Prize and modified the capsule. You can see
the pseudo-HTML version here:

http://www.io.com/~tomg/3ACV18.html

or I can post it again to the newsgroup. Whatever works for everyone else.

I haven't added anything about the Wizard of Oz color scheme yet, but there
are some good comments made by Mathew Miller, Alan Hamilton, and Lyle
McDonald that need to go in. I guess I can summarize those, unless someone
else wants to do it. ;)
--
Tom Georgoulias
http://www.io.com/~tomg

Lyle McDonald

Feb 10, 2002, 11:45:44 PM2/10/02
Tom Georgoulias wrote:

> Larry wrote:
>
> >>8. What game is the blue key from?
> >>
> > Doom, Doom 2, Quake II and many other games used various keys. I have
> > seen blue keys in a bunch of games.
>
> Me too, but I was wondering if there was one in particular that fit the
> time frame in which they drew material from.

someone already mentioned Wolfenstein 3d (which was the proto first
person shooter from Id, that ultimately beget Doom, Quake and a billion
others). Probably one of the earlier, if not the earliest, games to use
the idea of colored keys/doors to make progress. But it came far later
(well, a few years anyhow, which is a long time so to speak) in video
game history than any of the other games referenced.

Lyle

Larry

Feb 11, 2002, 12:01:23 AM2/11/02
On Mon, 11 Feb 2002 04:45:44 GMT, Lyle McDonald <lyl...@onr.com>
wrote:

>someone already mentioned Wolfenstein 3d (which was the proto first
>person shooter from Id, that ultimately beget Doom, Quake and a billion
>others). Probably one of the earlier, if not the earliest, games to use
>the idea of colored keys/doors to make progress. But it came far later
>(well, a few years anyhow, which is a long time so to speak) in video
>game history than any of the other games referenced.

Just a historical point: Castle Wolfenstein was a 2D-monochrome maze
game. It's "Graphics" were mostly alphanumeric characters and
lines/corners. I played it on an Apple ][ in about 1977-79.
Wolfenstein 3D came later.

--Larry

Matthew Miller

Feb 11, 2002, 9:00:07 AM2/11/02
Lyle McDonald <lyl...@onr.com> wrote:
>someone already mentioned Wolfenstein 3d (which was the proto first
>person shooter from Id, that ultimately beget Doom, Quake and a billion
>others). Probably one of the earlier, if not the earliest, games to use
>the idea of colored keys/doors to make progress. But it came far later
>(well, a few years anyhow, which is a long time so to speak) in video
>game history than any of the other games referenced.

Ooohh! Commander Keen!!! Not 3D, but you defintely needed to find keys.

Matthew Miller

Feb 11, 2002, 9:00:39 AM2/11/02
Larry <residen...@bigfoot.com> wrote:
>Just a historical point: Castle Wolfenstein was a 2D-monochrome maze
>game. It's "Graphics" were mostly alphanumeric characters and
>lines/corners. I played it on an Apple ][ in about 1977-79.
>Wolfenstein 3D came later.

So, no blue keys?

Lyle McDonald

Feb 11, 2002, 10:24:21 AM2/11/02

Castle Wolfenstein and Return to Castle Wolfenstein were both very
graphically based games where you as BJ Blaskowicz invade a series of
connected rooms in a Nazi bunker to kill Hitler. You collect bullets,
grenades and passes to get further into the game. But it wasn't
text/ASCII based. If there was an earlier ASCII Wolfenstein game, I
don't recall it (you may be confusing it with a dungeon crawl game that
was, an is, still popular that was ASCII based, the name of which I
can't rememeber now).

And nerd trivia, there was an unauthorized 'remake' (a hack basically)
of Castle Wolfenstein called 'Return to Castle Smurfenstein' where the
nazis were replaced by blue smurfs, along with a few other changes.

http://evlweb.eecs.uic.edu/aej/smurf.html

This page also has some pics of the original Wolfenstein game.

Lyle
old-skool nerd

Tom Georgoulias

Feb 11, 2002, 8:31:19 PM2/11/02
Everyone:

I think I'm going to leave the blue key reference off of the capsule. It's
probably just a generic video game joke so we won't nit-pick it to death.

Did find a nice tidbit elsewhere. One of the Lollypop Guild members that I
described as a mutant child is actually Hermes' son Dwight. D'oh, what a
mistake!

My count reveals there are still two outstanding questions:

3. What is the title of the opening sequence cartoon?

5. Where are Katrina & Xanthos (sp?) from? (meaning, where were these
characters taken from?

Anyone want to take a stab at researching these?

I plan to integrate the Wizard of Oz color comments into the capsule
tonight and post the updated version on my homepage later. I guess I can
maintain it and host it for the indefinate future, unless someone else
wants to take it.

Zubatto

Feb 12, 2002, 2:30:11 AM2/12/02

Hi, I'm a lurker here.. I just wanted to say that the blue key
reference is actually from the old Atari 2600 game "Adventure" it
was one of the items you picked up to get around in the game... ^^
hope this helps.

Lyle McDonald

Feb 12, 2002, 12:46:40 PM2/12/02

Lurk better, we already went through this.
Adventure had a black,white and yellow key (I have an emulated version
on my 'puter as well as a walkthrough someone did). There was no blue key.

Lyle

Larry

Feb 12, 2002, 4:27:18 PM2/12/02
On Mon, 11 Feb 2002 15:24:21 GMT, Lyle McDonald <lyl...@onr.com>
wrote:

>> Just a historical point: Castle Wolfenstein was a 2D-monochrome maze

>> game. It's "Graphics" were mostly alphanumeric characters and
>> lines/corners. I played it on an Apple ][ in about 1977-79.
>> Wolfenstein 3D came later.
>
>Castle Wolfenstein and Return to Castle Wolfenstein were both very
>graphically based games where you as BJ Blaskowicz invade a series of
>connected rooms in a Nazi bunker to kill Hitler. You collect bullets,
>grenades and passes to get further into the game. But it wasn't
>text/ASCII based. If there was an earlier ASCII Wolfenstein game, I
>don't recall it (you may be confusing it with a dungeon crawl game that
>was, an is, still popular that was ASCII based, the name of which I
>can't rememeber now).

It's the same game. The walls of the maze were extended ASCII
characters (as I recall). There were some graphics, but "mostly"
alphanumerics were used to draw things where possible. Since it ran on
a 1.4 Mhz 8 bit (6502) machine with up to 48K of RAM, they had to
conserve memory and clock time to make the game run in "real time".

I only played it a few times, and it was a current game at the time,
so I cannot vouch for too many details. I do remember that if you
found a trunk with medals in it, you could keep taking more no matter
how many you took. I never found a use for them, or any way to tell
how many you had.

--Larry

--Larry

Lyle McDonald

Feb 12, 2002, 4:48:05 PM2/12/02

Hmm, very odd.
I fired up my Apple II emulator (Catakig) and took a screenshot of the
game I'm thinking of. Beyond Castle Wolfenstein by Muse software, has a
1984 date on it. Didn't have medals as far as I know, but did have
chests that took time to search but you'd get keys, grenades, bullets
and stuff.

http://www.onr.com/user/lylemcd/wolf.html

Definitely not ASCII. Cruddy graphics (about par for the time) but not ASCII.

All I can figure is that Muse might have done an earlier, pure ASCII
game that you're thinking of. This wasn't uncommon during that time
period. For example, the most annoying game every written (the Prisoner
2, based on the tv show of the same name) had an earlier pure ASCII
version (that was nearly identical, just with text characters instead of
poorly drawn graphics).

Other than that, we're thinking of different games.

Lyle

Tom Georgoulias

Feb 12, 2002, 6:16:58 PM2/12/02
Zubatto wrote:

> Hi, I'm a lurker here.. I just wanted to say that the blue key
> reference is actually from the old Atari 2600 game "Adventure" it
> was one of the items you picked up to get around in the game... ^^
> hope this helps.

As someone else pointed out, Adventure didn't have a blue key. Since I was
intrigued about why everyone (including myself) has made this assumption, I
dug up some stuff on Adventure. Here goes: The 3 colored keys (gold,
white, black) corresponded to similarly colored castles. There is a blue
labyrinth, but it does not have its own key. I think that's what is
causing the confusion.

Man, it's been a long time since I've seen some of those screenshots! Check
em out for a reality check:

http://www.atariage.com/screenshot_page.html?SoftwareLabelID=1

Larry

Feb 13, 2002, 12:23:39 AM2/13/02
On Tue, 12 Feb 2002 21:48:05 GMT, Lyle McDonald <lyl...@onr.com>
wrote:

>Hmm, very odd.
>I fired up my Apple II emulator (Catakig) and took a screenshot of the
>game I'm thinking of. Beyond Castle Wolfenstein by Muse software, has a
>1984 date on it. Didn't have medals as far as I know, but did have
>chests that took time to search but you'd get keys, grenades, bullets
>and stuff.

I never heard of this one, it must be another intermediate game in the
long linage. Most of the chests had bullets and grenades etc. But, the
medals came up from time to time.

I know that I played it on my friends Apple ][ before (or just after)
I went to college in 1979.

>http://www.onr.com/user/lylemcd/wolf.html
>
>Definitely not ASCII. Cruddy graphics (about par for the time) but not ASCII.

This one is in glorious color. The first one I played was in
monochrome, like the Apple ][ itself.

So it's (at least):
Castle Wolfenstein
Beyond Castle Wolfenstein
Wolfenstein 3D
Doom
Doom II
Quake
Quake II
Quake III Arena

Quite a lineage for a video game. Perhaps the longest, and it's still
going after 23+ years.

>All I can figure is that Muse might have done an earlier, pure ASCII
>game that you're thinking of.

It may not have been all ASCII, but it was cruder than the screen shot
you showed. The handgun was the letter 'L'.

--Larry

Suzanne Archibald

Feb 13, 2002, 12:59:22 AM2/13/02
Larry wrote:

Is this what you're thinking of ? :

http://www.ufpel.tche.br/~snoopy/jogos/wolfen_e.htm

Similar (but more primitive) graphics, 1981 release.

--
Listen to my music at :
http://www.MP3.com/Suzanne_Archibald

Larry

Feb 13, 2002, 2:33:08 AM2/13/02
On Wed, 13 Feb 2002 00:59:22 -0500, Suzanne Archibald
<suz...@crysalis.com> wrote:

>Is this what you're thinking of ? :
>
>http://www.ufpel.tche.br/~snoopy/jogos/wolfen_e.htm
>
>Similar (but more primitive) graphics, 1981 release.

That looks a lot like it. My friends Apple was monochrome though. I
guess it could have been as late as 1981 that he got it.

Thanks,
--Larry

Rev. Bleech_

Feb 13, 2002, 2:58:54 AM2/13/02
On Wed, 13 Feb 2002 05:23:39 GMT, residen...@bigfoot.com (Larry)
spewed forth:

>So it's (at least):
>Castle Wolfenstein
>Beyond Castle Wolfenstein
>Wolfenstein 3D
>Doom
>Doom II
>Quake
>Quake II
>Quake III Arena
>
>Quite a lineage for a video game. Perhaps the longest, and it's still
>going after 23+ years.

You forgot last year's "Return to Castle Wolfenstein", which I'm
halfway through and disappointed to not see any giant blue "GUTEN
TAG!" guy yet.

Oh, and Doom III is due soon. Like WarCraft III. Heh.
--
=-=-=-==-=-=-==-=-=-==-=-=-==-=-=-==-=-=-==-=-=-==-=-==-=-=
BleechWorld : Too Fly to Die - http://bleechworld.cjb.net

"CRIPES !! It's the wife !!"

Floyd Code : v1.2a r FU 0/0/r FD 0? 0 Animals/WYWH 37 234 26.2% <07feb02>

Rev. Bleech_

Feb 13, 2002, 3:01:02 AM2/13/02
On Wed, 13 Feb 2002 05:23:39 GMT, residen...@bigfoot.com (Larry)
spewed forth:

>So it's (at least):

>Castle Wolfenstein
>Beyond Castle Wolfenstein
>Wolfenstein 3D

Oh, and in the previous reply I forgot all about "Spear of Destiny"

--
=-=-=-==-=-=-==-=-=-==-=-=-==-=-=-==-=-=-==-=-=-==-=-==-=-=
BleechWorld : Too Fly to Die - http://bleechworld.cjb.net
To e-mail me, nevermind the BOLLOCKS | Yar. FOAD.
=-=-=-==-=-=-==-=-=-==-=-=-==-=-=-==-=-=-==-=-=-==-=-==-=-=

"Bleech ! There's a malfunction in fire control !"

Lyle McDonald

Feb 13, 2002, 10:38:12 AM2/13/02
Larry wrote:

> On Tue, 12 Feb 2002 21:48:05 GMT, Lyle McDonald <lyl...@onr.com>
> wrote:
>

> >Hmm, very odd.
> >I fired up my Apple II emulator (Catakig) and took a screenshot of the
> >game I'm thinking of. Beyond Castle Wolfenstein by Muse software, has a
> >1984 date on it. Didn't have medals as far as I know, but did have
> >chests that took time to search but you'd get keys, grenades, bullets
> >and stuff.
> >

> I never heard of this one, it must be another intermediate game in the
> long linage. Most of the chests had bullets and grenades etc. But, the
> medals came up from time to time.
>
> I know that I played it on my friends Apple ][ before (or just after)
> I went to college in 1979.

It must have been an earlier game then.

> >http://www.onr.com/user/lylemcd/wolf.html
> >
> >Definitely not ASCII. Cruddy graphics (about par for the time) but not ASCII.
> >
> This one is in glorious color. The first one I played was in
> monochrome, like the Apple ][ itself.
>
> So it's (at least):
> Castle Wolfenstein
> Beyond Castle Wolfenstein
> Wolfenstein 3D
> Doom
> Doom II
> Quake
> Quake II
> Quake III Arena
>
> Quite a lineage for a video game. Perhaps the longest, and it's still
> going after 23+ years.

Well, Doom, etc weren't really in a direct line from the first
Wolfenstein games.

Wolf 3d was the proto first person shooter, and essentially invented the
genre (although pundits could argue that some of the early dungeon
crawls like Akalabeth or the early Ultima Dungeons predated even that as
they involved a first person view down 3-d ish corriders).
There is also a recent Return to CAstle Wolfenstein which just came out.
BJ is back and he's kickin some Nazi ass.

> >All I can figure is that Muse might have done an earlier, pure ASCII
> >game that you're thinking of.
>
> It may not have been all ASCII, but it was cruder than the screen shot
> you showed. The handgun was the letter 'L'.

Had to have been an earlier game, then, all I can figure.

Lyle

Lyle McDonald

Feb 13, 2002, 10:55:20 AM2/13/02
Ok, this was bugging the crap out of me. But I am easily bugged. ;)

So I downloaded the rom for the original Wolfenstein game and
screenshotted it for comparison to the Beyond. Both are here:

http://www.onr.com/user/lylemcd/wolf.html

The 1984 version had slightly better graphics (esp. note differences
between the main character). In monochrome (my emulator is color,
actually emulating an Apple IIe) I can see how the original would have
looked like text.

Lyle
can finally rest <G>

Larry

Feb 13, 2002, 1:02:37 PM2/13/02
On Wed, 13 Feb 2002 15:55:20 GMT, Lyle McDonald <lyl...@onr.com>
wrote:

>Ok, this was bugging the crap out of me. But I am easily bugged. ;)

Yeah, me too.

>So I downloaded the rom for the original Wolfenstein game and
>screenshotted it for comparison to the Beyond. Both are here:
>
>http://www.onr.com/user/lylemcd/wolf.html

That does look familiar. Less ASCII based than my memory of it. Then
again, I haven't seen it in 20 years.

--Larry

Lyle McDonald

Feb 13, 2002, 1:15:08 PM2/13/02

I vaguely recall having to crankstart my Apple IIc so memory can be misleading.

It ran on ethanol, right?

Lyle
kids today

Matthew Miller

Feb 13, 2002, 2:26:31 PM2/13/02
Larry <residen...@bigfoot.com> wrote:
>That does look familiar. Less ASCII based than my memory of it. Then
>again, I haven't seen it in 20 years.

Perhaps you saw Rogue around the same time?

<http://www.wichman.org/roguehistory.html>
<http://www.salon.com/tech/feature/2000/01/27/nethack/print.html>