Who's the best? Friends, Seinfeld, or Frasier?

Gussel Timer

Jan 28, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/28/97

Is there anybody out there who watches all three shows? Which one of
them is the best?

Jennifer M. Blaske

Jan 28, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/28/97
to gus...@intergate.bc.ca

Gussel Timer wrote:

> Is there anybody out there who watches all three shows? Which one of
> them is the best?

I watch all three!

I used to enjoy Friends more than I do now. I also think the older
Seinfelds were *much* better than now!
So as far as recent eps, I think I like Frasier the best. In general,
Seinfeld is definitely the best of the three.

-Jen

Juliet7139

Jan 29, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/29/97

Frasier definately rules, with Seinfeld coming in a close second. I've
never cared for Friends much. WAY too over-hyped and cheesy for me.

Greg Diamond

Jan 29, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/29/97

In article <32EEA3...@intergate.bc.ca>,

Gussel Timer <gus...@intergate.bc.ca> wrote:
>Is there anybody out there who watches all three shows? Which one of
>them is the best?

I watch all three (along with Spin City, and that's about it for sitcoms.)
Frasier is the best, Seinfeld second, Friends a once-strong but fading
third (probably behind Spin City at this point.)

What I hate is that they start Spin City early so that you have to miss
the credits and tag of Frasier. Damn networks. Putting them opposite one
another -- I expect that any day now -- would be the only worse atrocity.
--
<><><> "Punctuality is the thief of time" -- Oscar Wilde
Greg<> "What kills a skunk is the publicity." -- Abraham Lincoln

Aleksandra McClain

Jan 29, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/29/97

In article <32EEA7...@mindspring.com>, redh...@mindspring.com says...

>Gussel Timer wrote:
>>
>> Is there anybody out there who watches all three shows? Which one of
>> them is the best?

I watch all three shows, but I definitely enjoy Frasier the most.
Seinfeld is a solid second, with Friends coming in third. I think Friends
used to be a lot funnier than it is now, and although Seinfeld has some
brilliant moments, for consistent hilarity, Frasier wins hands down.

Aleksandra :)

dady...@popalex1.linknet.net

Jan 29, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/29/97

On Tue, 28 Jan 1997 17:10:02 -0800, Gussel Timer
<gus...@intergate.bc.ca> wrote:

>Is there anybody out there who watches all three shows? Which one of
>them is the best?

It's not a matter of which one is best. All three are quality shows,
three of my favorites along with Drew Carey, Dave's World, and King of
the Hill. There's no way to determine which one is best because they
are all good based on different reasons.

Alvin Nichter

Jan 29, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/29/97

In alt.tv.seinfeld Gussel Timer <gus...@intergate.bc.ca> wrote:
: Is there anybody out there who watches all three shows? Which one of
: them is the best?

I once watched "Friends" on occasion; it never struck a chord
with me, so I stopped watching it. It's a little too dumbed-down
for my taste, and I really don't care for soap-opera subplots --- I don't
care who's doing what with whom, unless it advances the comedic elements
of the plot. OTOH, the women on the show are easy on the eyes,
even if they wear oh-too-cute hairstyles. :-)

"Frasier" is one of the most literate, witty shows on TV, IMHO.
The dialog is intelligent, the plots are (usually) clever,
and the characters are well-developed. At the risk of causing
a flurry of flames, I'd say that "Frasier" frequently is
more clever than "Seinfeld". (That's "frequently", not "always".)
Unfortunately, the quality of the show is uneven at times.

"Seinfeld" is a good show, although it's a bit more middle-brow
than "Frasier". Also, unlike "Fraser", "Seinfeld" satirizes
real life (as experienced on the Upper West Side of Manhattan)
as much as it does character types. Part of "Seinfeld's"
attraction is the shtick of some of its cast members:
in particular, Michael Richards, Jason Alexander, and Jerry Stiller.
This compensates for the rhythm of the repartee between Jerry
Seinfeld and his friends, which has gotten repetitious from episode
to episode; sometimes, it borders on being formulaic.

"Seinfeld" isn't the best show ever to be on TV (as some have claimed),
but it's very good. I don't think it's appropriate to ask whether
"Seinfeld" or "Frasier" is better; they're both good, for different
reasons. "Cybill" is also a very good show (although it's something
of a "women's" show), again for different reasons. "Murphy Brown"
was good in past seasons, also for different reasons. (It no longer
satirizes Washington politics and the news biz, and it's degraded
to a "Mary Tyler Moore Show" for the '90's.) Finally, as I said earlier,
"Friends" is OK, but it's not quite my taste.

Actually, there's little that interests me on prime-time TV.
There's more to do in life than to be a couch potato.

---Alvin H. Nichter
(posting/reading in alt.tv.seinfeld)

jf...@gville.mindspring.com

Jan 29, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/29/97

Gussel Timer <gus...@intergate.bc.ca> wrote:

>Is there anybody out there who watches all three shows? Which one of
>them is the best?

If you asked me this question a year ago, I would have said Friends,
but the Friends current season has been so disapointing that I would
stop watching it completely if it wasn't for Courtney Cox.

I like Frasier, but I don't really follow it because of its Tuesday
night showing--I only really tune in when I'm in the "I miss Cheers"
mood.

I would have to say that Jerry Seinfeld is the King of Sitcoms. Not
only is his show witty and original, but he has the best support cast
on TV in Julia Louis-Dreyfus, Jason Alexander, & Michael Richards.

Glenda Robertson

Jan 29, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/29/97

Oh, piffle! Tastes are individual. We could have as many answers as
there are readers! I loathe Seinfeld and don't give a hoot who likes
which and why, myself. I figure you read this ng 'cause you like Frasier.
Isn't that enough?

Having said that, I will cast a vote for Niles, just because I figure it's
time that men knew that women *like* men who are witty and smart and
vulnerable - i.e. NOT the sort of guy which men still seem to think 'get
all the women' (at least in debates I've seen on relationship ngs). Let's
hear it for sweet guys! (Probably why I don't like Seinfeld - nobody's
very nice of that bunch.)

Glenda (who happens to think 'nice' is a good thing to be)

Larry DeMers

Jan 29, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/29/97

In article <32EEA3...@intergate.bc.ca> gus...@intergate.bc.ca writes:
>Is there anybody out there who watches all three shows? Which one of
>them is the best?

I watch all three shows, and enjoy each for it's own merits.

Frasier for it's intelligence and classy humor. The best sitcom going.

Seinfeld for the chuckles, with Kramer being the funniest. The show gets tiresome
sometimes, and all of the characters are somewhat 'disfunctional', but hey, I
laugh!

Friends for the hell of it. I enjoy beautiful women, and this show has more than
it's share. It is amusing, occasionally funny and the photography is excellent.
(Note the control of the colors presented to the audience). The writting is not
all that great, but there is something about it that is rather hypnoticly
compelling.

-This is getting far too deep.

Larry DeMers

Lori Crittenden

Jan 29, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/29/97

Gussel Timer wrote:
> Is there anybody out there who watches all three shows? Which one of
> them is the best?

I watch Frasier and Friends every week. I tried to like Seinfeld but
just can't do it. Those characters are mean and obnoxious. We tape
Friends so we don't have to turn on the tv until 9:30pm.
Lori

debbie

Jan 30, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/30/97

Aleksandr...@yale.edu (Aleksandra McClain) wrote:

>>Gussel Timer wrote:
>>>
>>> Is there anybody out there who watches all three shows? Which one of
>>> them is the best?
>

> I watch all three shows, but I definitely enjoy Frasier the most.
>Seinfeld is a solid second, with Friends coming in third. I think Friends
>used to be a lot funnier than it is now, and although Seinfeld has some
>brilliant moments, for consistent hilarity, Frasier wins hands down.
>
> Aleksandra :)

I agree with both Jennifer and Aleksandra -- they both said it well.

"The Sponge" is scheduled to be shown on January 30, 1997

Mary Esser

Jan 30, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/30/97

Hi Everyone,

Well, I used to watch all three shows, but I have not caught any of
Frasier this season (I should start using that VCR). Frasier was (can't
speak about the current season) a very funny show. The humor was often
sarcastic and witty, which I love! Niles is one of my favorite characters
on that show, and Frasier and Lillith were my favorite characters from
Cheers. All in all, NBC made a good choice when they gave Kelsey Grammar
his own show. Now that I think about it, maybe I will tune in to next
week's episode.

Friends has really disappointed me this season. It's ironic that just
when these actors and actresses start demanding more money, the show goes
down the tubes. I still watch the show because I actually find Chandler's
character to be pretty funny. Otherwise, this will probably be my last
season watching.

Seinfeld, on the other hand, could go one for the next ten years and I
would still watch it. Granted, I prefer the earlier seasons to this one,
but I do not think that this season has been all that bad so far. In
fact, I LOVED the Kenny Roger's Chicken Roaster's episode, as well as 'The
Little Steps' ("sweet fancy Moses"). I still watch every Thursday, but I
am finding that I enjoy the nightly reruns even more. My favorite
character would have to be George. Jason Alexander has made George a
character all his own. The same goes for any of the cast members,
really. All irreplaceable in my opinion (yes, even Elaine).

Just another .02

Mary

mart

Jan 30, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/30/97
to Mary Esser

I think that Mary says it BEST. I agree 100%.

Enrique Londaits

Jan 31, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/31/97

> Is there anybody out there who watches all three shows? Which one of
> them is the best?

I think Friends is the best of all, but i like seinfeld too.

Patricio Londaits

--
Enrique Londaits
Soluciones Digitales

Stephen & Christine Davie

Feb 1, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/1/97

They are all good - but I think Seinfeld has nearly run it's course.
Watching Frasier, I get more of a laugh at the character's stupid states of
affairs, so I vote Friends as the best, because its fresh and funny in a
different sort of way.

Chris.(tine)

Gussel Timer <gus...@intergate.bc.ca> wrote in article
<32EEA3...@intergate.bc.ca>...

mun...@bendigo.net.au

Feb 1, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/1/97

Alvin Nichter wrote:

> In alt.tv.seinfeld Gussel Timer <gus...@intergate.bc.ca> wrote:
> : Is there anybody out there who watches all three shows? Which one of
> : them is the best?
>
> I once watched "Friends" on occasion; it never struck a chord
> with me, so I stopped watching it. It's a little too dumbed-down
> for my taste, and I really don't care for soap-opera subplots --- I don't
> care who's doing what with whom, unless it advances the comedic elements
> of the plot. OTOH, the women on the show are easy on the eyes,
> even if they wear oh-too-cute hairstyles. :-)
I agree, the plot in the friends episodes treat you like if they don't
keep repeating a certain point you'll forget it. Frasier and seineld
have an edge that just is NOT there in friends and they also treat you
as though you are semi-intelligent. My guess is that in a few years
friends episodes are gonna be laughably pathetic, like watching the
brady bunch now..:=)

bart

Feb 1, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/1/97

No CONTEST !~

1) Seinfeld
2) Senifeld
3) Seinfeld

--
K-Man: "Believe me Jerry, somewhere in this hospital the pig-man cries out for help".

Marcus

Feb 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/2/97

On 31 Jan 1997 14:29:55 GMT, elon...@century.com.ar (Enrique
Londaits) wrote:

>> Is there anybody out there who watches all three shows? Which one of
>> them is the best?
>

>I think Friends is the best of all, but i like seinfeld too.

FRIENDS is need of a major story-line change. They've exhausted every
character on the show and they need to introduce something new and
fresh,

FRASIER remains to be the best of the three IMHO. The witty Frasier,
flirting Niles, innocent Daphne, out-going Roz, and blue-collar Marty
can always combine to give the freshest show every week (although
there have been a lot of reruns lately). Even still, the writers of
Frasier have also gotta advance more charcters.... the Crane brothers
can't be talking at Cafe Nervosa every week that gonna get resolved in
30 minutes.

SEINFIELD, the show about nothing, is witty in a community sort of
way. If it wasn't for the annoying music that comes on every 5
seconds when they change scenes, I'll watch it more often...

BTW, since the Golden Globes for Best Comedy went to 3rd ROCK, here's
my two cents about the show --- DON'T LIKE IT AT ALL.

Marcus

Andrew Hawkes

Feb 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/2/97

In article <5d0o00$6...@camel4.mindspring.com>, bart
<foo...@atl.mindspring.com> writes
>No CONTEST !~

It's got to be Friends all the time
****** * ******* * *
| ~~~ ~~~ | * *** * * *
((| * * |)) * * * * * *
| V | * * * * ** *
| | ********** * * * *****
\ ( o ) / * * * * * *
\ / * * * * * *
\_________/ * * ** * *
| | * * ******* *
and...@buckpal.demon.co.uk *
*******************************

Marcus

Feb 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/2/97

On Sat, 01 Feb 1997 15:25:12 GMT, foo...@atl.mindspring.com (bart)
wrote:

>No CONTEST !~
>
>1) Seinfeld
>2) Senifeld
>3) Seinfeld

I just Seinfield is one of those shows that I'll miss *AFTER* it's
gone...

Jaycey

Feb 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/2/97

In article <elondait-310...@196.32.64.136>, elon...@century.com.ar (Enrique Londaits) says:

>> Is there anybody out there who watches all three shows? Which one of
>> them is the best?

IMHO: First and foremost---SEINFELD!!

Second---Frasier

A distant third (with 3 or 4 other shows inbetween)---friends.

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

Jaycey

Feb 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/2/97

In article <32f415ab...@NEWS.INTERLOG.COM>, pw...@interlog.com (Marcus) says:

>I just Seinfield is one of those shows that I'll miss *AFTER* it's
>gone...

But thank God you won't

have to----thanks to

syndication!!!

Long live Seinfeld!!

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

Scott J. Smith

Feb 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/2/97

I vote for Seinfeld with Frasier a close second

--
Scott J. Smith
Block Island Bound

Church Page: http://www.netusa.net/patchnaz/index.html

Biff

Feb 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/2/97

Friends, Seinfeld, and Frasier are all excellent shows. I
watch very little television (seriously!), yet I never miss
these shows. Other worthwhile comedies are NewsRadio and The
Larry Sanders Show. I generally find television to be a
waste of time--there is soooo much garbage on the 70 channels
I am blessed with--yet I am able to watch these shows
guilt-free.

KevRules

Feb 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/2/97

pw...@interlog.com (Marcus) wrote in article
<32f3f347...@NEWS.INTERLOG.COM>

<lovely things about FRASIER, snipped for space, then suggested>

>The Crane brothers

>can't be talking at Cafe Nervosa every week that gonna get resolved in
>30 minutes.

That cheeky DPrestonL reminded me one week that we should always remember
the conversations and actions that take place "between scenes"! ;^p

John

Jaycey

Feb 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/3/97

In article <32f58202...@news.melbpc.org.au>, mir...@melbpc.org.au (Mark Robbins) says:

>How can anyone really say one show (of these 3) is any better than the
>others? They are nothing like each other - they are all COMPLETELY
>different - the don't warrant any form of comparision.

But you CAN decide which one you LIKE better.

For me, I never miss Seinfeld---if I'm not going

to be home I tape it. Since I don't have that

same "passion" for the other 2 shows, that tells

me that I DO think it's the best.

See what I mean?...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Kongmany Vongsavath

Feb 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/3/97

In <5d2nf3$j...@geraldo.cc.utexas.edu> ka...@mail.utexas.edu (Jaycey)
writes:
Friends is definitely losing in its writing department; seems to me
that the show is now relying mainly on the stars' popularity.
Tym

Edward D. Collins

Feb 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/4/97

> Is there anybody out there who watches all three shows? Which one of them
is the best?

Come on everybody! There is no BEST show! 'Best' is relative! A more
appropriate question would have been "Why do you enjoy one vs the other?"
You know, I really would like to start seeing some intelligent posts for a
change.

Jasmine Weyburn

Feb 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/4/97

change.e

So true! There is no BEST show, but among the three mentioned, there is
definitely a worst: "Friends". "Friends" ranks up with the other two
shows only if one is conducting a popularity contest. "Popular" and
"Quality" are not synonymous (spelling?) Don't think me too snobbish
though, there's nothing wrong with a good time - I still watch "I Love
Lucy" - but to compare a hastily put together, extremely commercial and
vapid little sit-com to two very well developed and well-written shows is
a little like saying "Which is best: 'Gone With The Wind', 'Citizen Cane',
or 'Twister'?" If the question posed were "Which do you PREFER?'
"Twister" would probably get a lot of votes.

Aleksandra McClain

Feb 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/4/97

In article <01bc1284$3769e0c0$3865c6d0@ed-s-pc>, ecol...@inficad.com says...

>> Is there anybody out there who watches all three shows? Which one of them
>is the best?
>
>Come on everybody! There is no BEST show! 'Best' is relative! A more
>appropriate question would have been "Why do you enjoy one vs the other?"
>You know, I really would like to start seeing some intelligent posts for a
>change.

Well, I'll take a stab at making an intelligent post, but I can't
guarantee anything. ;) I already answered this question about which show is
the "best," giving my rankings as Frasier, Seinfeld, and then Friends. The
reasons that I like one versus the other are:
I enjoy Frasier the most because of its incredibly intelligent and
often subtle humor. Frasier and Niles (especially Niles!) getting their
high-brow sensibilities ruffled is some of the funniest sitcom material I've
ever seen. Also, there is not a weak actor in the show, and both David Hyde
Pierce and Kelsey Grammer excel at reactions and facial expressions, which are
often funnier than any line. I absolutely love the mix of verbal,
physical, and smart comedy that Frasier provides, and every mention and
treatment of Niles' unrequited love for Daphne has been brilliant. The
combination of outstanding writing and acting make Frasier a consistently
hilarious and enjoyable show.
I like Seinfeld for different reasons. I also think that the acting
on this show is top-notch, and the plots that the writers come up with are
some of the most original and downright outlandish storylines on television.
The fun in Seinfeld is found in how absolutely strange and often not-nice the
characters are, and yet we like them anyway, perhaps because sometimes we all
wish we could be as scheming as George or as evil as Newman. Another high
point in Seinfeld is the way the multiple subplots all end up coming together
during the show. You get the feeling that something so weird could only
happen to this group of people, and watching them go through it makes for a
very funny program.
Friends is a different style of comedy altogether. It is (or perhaps
used to be) a very witty and urban show, with uniformly likable and beautiful
characters. I think that the quality of Friends' writing has declined
recently, but before, I highly enjoyed the sarcastic comments of Chandler, the
sweet stupidity of Joey, and Ross's hangdog longing for Rachel. There are
still a few good, funny lines every week in the shows, but overall I've been
fairly disappointed with Friends lately, and it just doesn't make me laugh as
much as it used to. (I have a theory about Ross and Rachel getting together
causing the humor to drain out of the show, but nothing's been proven yet.
<g>) Anyhow, that's as close to an intelligent post on the three shows as I
could get. I hope it serves!

Aleksandra :)

Gussel Timer

Feb 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/4/97

Edward D. Collins wrote:

> > Is there anybody out there who watches all three shows? Which one of them
> is the best?
>
> Come on everybody! There is no BEST show! 'Best' is relative! A more
> appropriate question would have been "Why do you enjoy one vs the other?"
> You know, I really would like to start seeing some intelligent posts for a
> change.

If you were intelligent enough, you would have figured out that's what
the post meant. i.e. "Of the three, which do you like the best: Friends,
Seinfeld, or Frasier?" Get it? :)

Kevin Mucha

Feb 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/4/97
I vote for Newsradio.

The Hermit

Feb 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/4/97

Edward D. Collins wrote:

> > Is there anybody out there who watches all three shows? Which one of them
> is the best?
>
> Come on everybody! There is no BEST show! 'Best' is relative! A more
> appropriate question would have been "Why do you enjoy one vs the other?"
> You know, I really would like to start seeing some intelligent posts for a
> change.

I had a Best who was a relative, but I don't know if he was my best
relative, but then he was probably someone's favorite...it's all
relative....
the hermit

smu...@mindspring.com

Feb 5, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/5/97

The keyboard of MZX...@prodigy.com (Jasmine Weyburn) produced the
following:

>You know, I really would like to start seeing some intelligent posts for
>a change.

Well, I would like to see an end to world hunger, but, unfortunately
we don't always get what we want...

>So true! There is no BEST show, but among the three mentioned, there is
>definitely a worst: "Friends".

But, if there is no BEST show, how can there be a WORST???

Liz robertson

Feb 5, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/5/97

> Is there anybody out there who watches all three shows? Which one of
> them is the best?

I would have to say that Seinfeld is definately the best, followed by Friends
and then Frasier. Seinfeld takes real life situations and blows them out of
proportion. Don't we all? I would think that this is especially true for those
of us that live in small towns across the country.

Jaime Buceti

Feb 5, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/5/97

In article <5d02q3$l...@insosf1.netins.net>, j anderson
<j.and...@www.mebbs.com> wrote:

> 1 Seinfeld
> 2 Frasier
> 3 Friends

> 4 Friends is the best...
friends is the best...

Greg Diamond

Feb 5, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/5/97

In article <erobert-0502...@130.127.68.79>,

Liz robertson <ero...@clemson.edu> wrote:
>In article <32EEA3...@intergate.bc.ca>, gus...@intergate.bc.ca wrote:
>> Is there anybody out there who watches all three shows? Which one of
>> them is the best?
>I would have to say that Seinfeld is definately the best, followed by Friends
>and then Frasier.

I think I'm going to start a thread cross-posted to alt.fan.garlic and
alt.fan.baseball asking people which is best, garlic, baseball or Frasier.
That should be able to keep things jumping for months. Maybe I'll toss in
alt.fan.libertarianism and alt.sex.piercing in case things get slow.
--
<><><> "Punctuality is the thief of time" -- Oscar Wilde
Greg<> "What kills a skunk is the publicity." -- Abraham Lincoln
<>/\<> "Words, like eyeglasses, blur everything
<>\/<> that they do not make clear." -- Joseph Joubert

Anne McCarthy

Feb 6, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/6/97

This is a tough choice, but i must go with 1.FRIENDS 2. SEINFELD 3. FRASIER
I rarely miss an episode of Friends nor does anyone in my apartment!!!

<j.and...@www.mebbs.com> wrote:

> 1 Seinfeld
> 2 Frasier
> 3 Friends

Jill Crawford

Feb 6, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/6/97

I also think that Friends is the best show.
JILL CRAWFORD

John Nassar

Feb 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/7/97

Friends has really taken a huge turn for the worse after the second
season... it has gone absolutely nowhere... it will never be in the same
galaxy as Seinfeld... Frasier slightly edges out Friends, b/c its actually
funny... the only reason i even flip on friends is to see Chandler's crazy
comebacks, and of course the ever so Perky C.Cox! Seinfeld is in the same
class as Cheers, not Friends or Frasier... Friends is in the same league as
like Night Court...
just my .02
--
>>----->>
RocketJohn.

Jill Crawford <bcr...@clemson.edu> wrote in article
<bcrawfo-2808...@130.127.68.94>...

Jasmine Weyburn

Feb 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/7/97

I had a Best who was a relative, but I don't know if he was my best
relative, but then he was probably someone's favorite...it's all
relative....
the hermit

Now THAT'S an intelligent post!
Kudos Hermit!

Jas

Dagfinn R. Parnas

Feb 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/7/97

I find that I at my age (19) can more identify myself with the Friends
charaters, and maybe that's why this is my favorite show. Seinfeld is
sometimes hillarious, but it tends to be ... hmmm.. a bit made up(hard
to put words on it). But it still beats Frasier which is also a real
great show.

friend...@usa.net

Feb 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/8/97

ka...@mail.utexas.edu (Jaycey) wrote:

>In article <elondait-310...@196.32.64.136>, elon...@century.com.ar (Enrique Londaits) says:
>>

>>> Is there anybody out there who watches all three shows? Which one of
>>> them is the best?

I watch all three on a regular basis. Friends is first, Seinfeld is
second, and Frasier is third.

Friends Like Us, the ultimate fan club for F*R*I*E*N*D*S @
http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/Set/1118

Samuel Ng

Feb 9, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/9/97

John Nassar wrote:

> Friends has really taken a huge turn for the worse after the second
> season... it has gone absolutely nowhere... it will never be in the same
> galaxy as Seinfeld... Frasier slightly edges out Friends, b/c its actually
> funny... the only reason i even flip on friends is to see Chandler's crazy
> comebacks, and of course the ever so Perky C.Cox! Seinfeld is in the same
> class as Cheers, not Friends or Frasier... Friends is in the same league as
> like Night Court...
> just my .02

I agree that Friends has gone down hill in the 3rd season, but NZ has
only showed 2 shows, maybe it's hard to judge from my point of view.
The first show was definitely bad, I don't think I laughed (or even
smiled) once, but the second show was quite funny.

Anyway, although Friends is easier on the eyes ;), Frasier is actually
funny. I find Seinfeld irritating. To me, Seinfeld only has 2 ways of
creating a funny situation - make up some long wounded phrase/word to
avoid some taboo word/phrase or talk at the top of their lungs. On top
of that, I actually find Seinfeld himself annoying.

Frasier is the best of the three, followed by a close fight between
Friends and Seinfeld for second (or last, depends on how you look at
it). I'm not sure whether Friends is in the same league as Night Court,
Friends seems to be slightly better. Actually Friends and Seinfeld
should be in the same league. If Chandler and some of the female
characters are gone, it'll be just as annoying as Seinfeld.

Another 2c,
Samuel

--
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Samuel Ng

AOLof...@aol.com

Feb 9, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/9/97
to Samuel Ng

Yeah right...you never know what Seinfeld is gonna do. Thats because it
doesn't rely on doing the right thing. Nobody expected Susan to die.

Ian J

Feb 9, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/9/97

Frasier.....
--
Regards,
Ian.

Anne McCarthy <amc...@clemson.edu> wrote in article
<amccart-0602...@130.127.68.85>...

The Hermit

Feb 11, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/11/97

friend...@usa.net wrote:

> ka...@mail.utexas.edu (Jaycey) wrote:
>
> >In article <elondait-310...@196.32.64.136>, elon...@century.com.ar (Enrique Londaits) says:

> I watch all three on a regular basis. Friends is first, Seinfeld is
> second, and Frasier is third.
>
> ========================================the hermit says:
I think, like it was said by Edward D.C., it is all relative.
Saying that, I would like to add that it is relative to how we identify.
If you are or ever have been a single young adult in the city, just
starting out in your career, I think you would best identify with
Friends. If you were single as a lifestyle and enjoying it, or maybe
wish you were happily single, maybe Seinfeld would be more to your
liking. As for Frasier lovers, I guess we simply like the good writing,
and identify with some of the characters some of the time.
So, when you say which you like, maybe it says more about you than
the show itself.
I am a philosophical person and see human nature at it's funniest
in Seinfeld...and that is why I love Seinfeld best!
Mary Jo - the hermit

Sandra Prusina

Feb 12, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/12/97

I believe that all three shows have their own great qualities.

Jarrod & Lyndee

Feb 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/13/97

Friends, Frasier, Sienfeld

friend...@usa.net wrote in article <32fc1...@207.112.25.2>...

> ka...@mail.utexas.edu (Jaycey) wrote:
>
> >In article <elondait-310...@196.32.64.136>,
elon...@century.com.ar (Enrique Londaits) says:

> I watch all three on a regular basis. Friends is first, Seinfeld is
> second, and Frasier is third.

Trish

Feb 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/14/97

On 9 Feb 1997 12:37:47 GMT, "Ian J" <Sal...@btinternet.com> wrote:

>Frasier.....
>--
>Regards,
>Ian.

<de-lurking long enough to vote> Frasier....hands down.

Madeeha Choudhry

Feb 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/15/97

John Nassar (jna...@netgate.compaq.com) wrote:
> Friends has really taken a huge turn for the worse after the second
> season... it has gone absolutely nowhere... it will never be in the same
> galaxy as Seinfeld... Frasier slightly edges out Friends, b/c its actually
> funny... the only reason i even flip on friends is to see Chandler's crazy
> comebacks, and of course the ever so Perky C.Cox! Seinfeld is in the same
> class as Cheers, not Friends or Frasier... Friends is in the same league as
> like Night Court...
> just my .02
> --
> >>----->>
> RocketJohn.

> Jill Crawford <bcr...@clemson.edu> wrote in article
> <bcrawfo-2808...@130.127.68.94>...
> >

> > I also think that Friends is the best show.
> > JILL CRAWFORD

I hate friends! It was funny at the beginning, but now it sucks so badly!
They are just trying to copy the same style of comedy as Seinfeld, but
they aren't getting it right, and now they figure, hey, we're such a hit,
now we can just keep doing the same thing over and over. The characters
are so trapped, they have no room to grow. Chandler always has to make a
(not so) witty remark, Phoebe always has to say something wierd, Ross
always has to put that intonation when he speaks, and Joey always has to
be extremely stupid. I have stopped watching it altogether. It is so
stupid, I can feel myself getting dumber when I watch it. Seinfeld is
hilarious though, and Frasier is better than Friends. But I don't watch
Frasier that often.

___
_____________________________________ / \ ___
________ | | \ |/ \
| ____ || Madeeha Choudhry | -------- | |
____| | | || mcho...@chat.carleton.ca | _______ \ /
() ___ || ___ ___ | -------- |
|_____/d8b\___||_______/d8b\_____________/d8b\_______| | |\___/
|888| |888| |888| \__/
`Y8P' `Y8P' `Y8P'

Connie Brown

Feb 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/15/97

mcho...@chat.carleton.ca (Madeeha Choudhry) wrote:

>John Nassar (jna...@netgate.compaq.com) wrote:
>> Friends has really taken a huge turn for the worse after the second
>> season... it has gone absolutely nowhere... it will never be in the same

>> RocketJohn.

>I hate friends! It was funny at the beginning, but now it sucks so badly!
> They are just trying to copy the same style of comedy as Seinfeld, but
>they aren't getting it right, and now they figure, hey, we're such a hit,
>now we can just keep doing the same thing over and over. The characters

| ____ || Madeeha Choudhry | -------- |

I agree. Friends is totally unwatchable now. The humour is so junior
highish. Then they imported Tom Selleck trying to appeal to the
"older set". Big mistake for Tom. They had him acting like a 7th
grader. I will never enjoy watching him in anything again.

Both Seinfeld and Frasier have their very own brand of homour. I I
appreciate the fact that the Seinfeld or Frasier casts aren't trying
to act so "cute" all the time like Friends. Very sickening after a
while.

Bill Bride

Feb 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/15/97

>I hate friends! It was funny at the beginning, but now it sucks so
badly!
>> They are just trying to copy the same style of comedy as Seinfeld,
but
>>they aren't getting it right, and now they figure, hey, we're such a
hit,
>>now we can just keep doing the same thing over and over. The
characters
Friends is totally unwatchable now. The humour is so junior
>highish. Then they imported Tom Selleck trying to appeal to the
>"older set". Big mistake for Tom. They had him acting like a 7th
>grader. I will never enjoy watching him in anything again.
>
>Both Seinfeld and Frasier have their very own brand of homour. I I
>appreciate the fact that the Seinfeld or Frasier casts aren't trying
>to act so "cute" all the time like Friends. Very sickening after a
>while.

Especially that weasel Ross. What a chump! I'm glad he and Rachel broke
up. Seeing those two dating made me sick! I do like the scenes when
Chandler and Joey attempt to explain things to each other like the
"threesome" with that copier girl. That was funny. The show is funny
sometimes, but they shouldn't have the characters date each other.
Seinfeld is still the best and Frasier is a close second.

Bill

Glenda Robertson

Feb 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/15/97

I fail to see what anyone finds funny about Seinfeld. The characters are
*not* 'ordinary people' and the show is *not* 'about nothing'. The
characters are unpleasant, unkind, and one-sided. Seinfeld is smug.
Kramer is a wierdo. George hasn't got a clue. Elaine freaks out over
every little thing. Past that, they have zero personalities. The
situations they get into are not even close to realistic - and they
*certainly* aren't 'nothing'. I've tried to watch it but I just find it
stupid. A car that you can't get B.O. out of after one person drove it
once. Really. Breaking up over jujubes. Oh, yeah, I know lots of people
that's happened to. I could go on. And on.

Frasier and Friends at least have believable characters who are
three-dimensional, with both lovable and annoying traits. What, please,
is lovable about any of the Seinfeld crew? They have zero redeeming good
points - they are merely annoying. There's nothing likeable about any of
them. If you people like spending time hating people, well, then maybe
that's why you get such a kick out of it. Me, it just bugs me.

Worst of all, there is no wit in Seinfeld. Frasier and Friends both have
witty, clever writing. I'm sure any six NG readers could write a Seinfeld
- it requires inventing a completely unrealistic situation, adding a
couple of unlikely plot twists, and getting the characters to do and say
some formula things - none witty. It doesn't take a vast amount of
intellect or talent to invent outrageous characters and have them act like
fools.

Don't bother flaming me because you'll be ignored. What I would like is
to receive a couple of reasoned responses explaining why someone would
think Seinfeld is funny.

G. Robertson

Ron Blancarte

Feb 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/15/97

Gee, I think that it is only a matter of taste on what type of humor
that you like. Watch what you want. Don't listen to what others say
you should watch.

Personally I like all three shows for entirely different reasons.

RonB

-------------------------
The e-mail address on this message is wrong, and designed to
foil bulk remailers. To e-mail me, remove the '++' from in
front of my e-mail address.

Sasha

Feb 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/15/97

I watch Seinfeld and Friends, and the occasional Frasier if I happen to turn on the TV
Tuesday night. My favourite show by far is Friends followed by Seinfeld and Frasier is a
distant last.

First off, Friends is NOTHING like Seinfeld. It's young. It's fresh. The characters are
believable. The situations they get themselves in are believable. It also has a story
line which keeps you coming back episode after episode. Seinfeld episodes are for the
most part completely disjoint and if you missed one you really haven't missed much. And
let's face it: Friends has sex appeal, and lots of it. Seinfeld is woefully lacking in
that category. Last but not least, after 8 seasons Seinfeld is starting to get a bit
dated. The characters must be approaching 40 now and it gets me to thinking: Are these
people going to remain losers for the rest of their lives?

Sasha

WHorton973

Feb 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/16/97

seinfeld and frasier are equally good but they are quite different types
of comedy and humor. Seinfeld is more slapstick while frasier is often a
little suttle. Seinfeld is a show that we could watch every night while
frasier is OK less often. Maybe that would give seinfeld the edge.

Dr. Franklin

Feb 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/16/97

In article <Pine.A32.3.93.970215...@srv1.freenet.calgary.ab.ca>, Glenda Robertson wrote:

>Don't bother flaming me because you'll be ignored. What I would like is
>to receive a couple of reasoned responses explaining why someone would
>think Seinfeld is funny.

Allright, Glenda, I'll bite.

I think your descriptions of the characters is almost right. I believe
they have a little more depth (of character traits, that is; they are defi-
nitely shallow) than you ascribe them.
The wit you refer to in Frasier is more what I would call dialogue wit,
and occasionally plot oriented wit. In Sienfeld, much of my interest in the
show is the plot-oriented wit, how things that start out smelling like a two
plot show (I hate it when shows do that-- two separate plots in one episode),
but by the end of the episode they are linked together. Sometimes it is a
smooth transition, and sometimes it is quite contrived.
I would liken my appreciation of Seinfeld to that of Dilbert. When I
first read the cartoon, I couldn't stand it. I couldn't see why people
considered the strip funny. I found it very obvious, and, most of the time,
a repeat of the same workers=smart/management=dumb joke.
Many people I mentioned this to claimed it was because I was not working
in a corporate setting. I did, however, work in a bureacracy (teacher in a
community college). Shortly before I started working at my present job,
which is more of a corporate setting, I started to enjoy Dilbert more.
Seinfeld is much the same. I didn't care for the first few episodes
that I watched (I started seeing Seinfeld and Friends while taping them
for a friend who had to work Thursday nights). I did love Friends, however,
but it has gone quite downhill. After a while, though, I got used to
Seinfeld. I think the humor in Seinfeld can only be appreciated through
a long-term perusal of the show seeing how the characters react and
comparing their reactions to situations earlier in the series is an important
part of it. One of things that I especially like about Seinfeld is that
every once in a while, they slip something in the show that you had to see
an earlier episode to understand. My favorite example:

I saw an episode where George got a job because someone 'discovered'
his hand: they felt that George's hand was model perfect, and wanted to
photograph it holding different products that they were selling. At one
point, there was a conversation about something that had happened to their
previous model that no one wanted to discuss. Most of the conversation
came across as nonsense to me.
Later I saw (in syndication) an _earlier_ episode of the series, in
which the four principal characters decided to have a contest, on the
honor system (a great part of the irony), on who could go the longest without
masturbating (trying their best to not actual directly refer to the act).
George came out the winner.
Some time after this, I saw the later episode again. The 'nonsense'
conversation I had _completely_ forgotten about, and when it came up, it
made perfect sense. The previous model had ruined his hand through
addiction to masturbation, to which George commented [parap.] "You don't
have to worry about me; I won a contest...". The people he told that to
didn't understand, they also blew it off as nonsense. It was, in its way,
an obscure reference to an earlier episode.

One last comment on Seinfeld: These characters are almost allegorically
shallow. We have to consider them with the same depth as we would any
allegorical character. The fact that a relationship ended over Jujubes might
seem pretty far fetched, but as an isolated incident, it is not so much so.
My last serious relationship ended because my girlfriend couldn't deal with
the fact that I can't stand silk/satin/nylon like material. Don't under-
estimate the ability of people to be shallow. Every once in a while, you
might see something on the show that you might be able to relate to from
your own life, evn if in a small way.

Finally, a note regarding the orignal thread: almost two years ago,
I would have put Friends above Seinfeld. No longer; Friends is very
dissappointing as of late. I didn't watch Frasier two years ago (the
first episode I saw was one in which the brothers bought a restaurant
[One of my signature files from work is a quote from this one]. I have
been addicted ever since). IMHO, Friends is out of the race. I like
The Single Guy and Caroline in the City much better than friends.
As for Frasier and Seinfeld, they are so dissimiliar that there is
almost no point in comparing, but I generally like the style of humor
in Frasier better, so: Frasier/Seinfeld/[Caroline in the City]/
[The Single Guy]/Friends.

- --
"In God We Trust. Dr. Franklin
Everyone else we monitor." fran...@pillory.com
-Former NSA employee http://www.pillory.com/franklin
6A 7D BB F2 0D B1 FC B5 F9 81 2B E7 F3 22 C2 0D

Dr. Franklin

Feb 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/16/97

LACEY

Feb 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/17/97

I would just like to point out that on Seinfeld, Jerry is the only one who
isn't funny.

Dr. Franklin <fran...@pillory.com> wrote in article
<slrn5geoq6....@ns.pillory.com>...

Dr. Franklin

Feb 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/17/97

Noahcain

Feb 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/17/97

seinfeld and frasier are the best, meaning they are clever, provocative,
creative, and fun. Friends has definitely fallen out of the category of
being "the best". It has mediocre script, predictable plots, and merely
plays on low class humor and sex appeal. Stick with Frasier and Seinfeld.

debbie

Feb 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/17/97

Why are we even arguing about this?

I like all three shows. Frasier and Seinfeld make me laugh out loud
(as does Cybill, and the earlier Wings and last week's episode of Mad
About You, the part where Paul asked Jamie's OB "could his hand be on
his penis?").

Friends used to make me LOL but is still a funny show. My main
requirement in a sitcom is that it make me laugh. All three of these
shows make me laugh. If they were all on at the same time, and if I
could only watch one and record one, I guess I would have to let
Friends go, but good thing I don't have to make that choice.

Gussel Timer

Feb 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/17/97

LACEY wrote:

> I would just like to point out that on Seinfeld, Jerry is the only one who
> isn't funny.

You mean he's the only one the writers don't have ACT funny. However, he
is given a lot of hilarious lines and put in screamingly funny
situations. So he is funny, he just doesn't show it through acting. :)

Mlsmal

Feb 18, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/18/97

Well, if you consider that he's been personally responsible for making the
*show* funny since season 1 and has been solely in charge of this since
last season, you can't really argue that he's unfunny. Jerry is an
observational comic and therefore, it makes sense that those he observes
would be more outrageous with him in the role of the "straight man".
Personally, I don't think that George would be funny at all without Jerry
acting like he does (the same goes for Kramer if you find him funny --
I've gotten darn tired of the character so he often drags the show down
for me). If you want my opinion on the order of the shows, it's

1) Newsradio
2) Seinfeld
3) Frasier
4) Caroline in the City
5) 3rd Rock from the Sun
6) Boston Common
7) King of the Hill
8) Men Behaving Badly
9) Chicago Sons
10) Friends
11) Single Guy
12) Suddenly Susan

Sorry for the long list, but I think it's insightful to see how close
Seinfeld is to Frasier and how far and above they both are as compared to
Friends. Incidentally, I urge you all to watch Newsradio (this week at 9
PM Eastern on NBC Wednesday, then in two weeks it moves to 8 PM Eastern
Wednesday). If you're here, you obviously like Frasier, and Newsradio
shares many things with Kelsey's great show. Both are radio comedies, each
show has a tremendous cast, and both shows are laugh out loud funny.
Newsradio tends to be wackier, but unlike Seinfeld, the characters have
about as much depth as TV allows characters to have.If you watch Drew
Carrey (and who can blame you -- the man is perhaps the funniest single
person I've seen), wait two weeks and try Newsradio at 8 Wednesday. You
won't regret it!

Charles

Feb 18, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/18/97

I have checked a series of web sites that I have able to locate relating
to Frasier and I can't seem to turn up an episode list that covers
anything past the third season. The third season ended on 3/26/96 and I
know there have been several new episodes past that point. Has anyone
been tracking the titles? Does anyone know a site listing the current
episodes or episodes that are coming soon? Any list that may be
floating around would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance,
Charles

Lori Crittenden

Feb 18, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/18/97

LACEY wrote:
> I would just like to point out that on Seinfeld, Jerry is the only one
> who isn't funny.

Ummmmmm...I'm sure that is quite debatable. I don't care for Seinfeld.
I've watched it a few times lately (too lazy to change the channel, I
guess) and it still isn't funny to me. There are certainly quirky
situations but beyond some being mildly amusing, it does nothing for me.
The characters don't seem to even like each other, let alone anyone else.

Frasier, to me, is very very funny. Laugh out loud funny. For as lofty as
Frasier and Niles THINK they are, they keep making fools out of themselves.
One thing I really like about this show is that I really can believe that
Frasier and Niles are brothers.

I do like Friends but not enough to tape it so I usually end up missing it
most of the time. The one thing that has always struck me about this show
is that it seems over so quick. More than any other show, its half hour
seems more like only 20 minutes.

Lori

Flavio Riveros Cadena

Feb 18, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/18/97

Frasier

Flavio Riveros Cadena
Tampico Mexico

devendra m. jani

Feb 18, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/18/97

The one thing that has always struck me about this show
is that it seems over so quick. More than any other show, its half hour
seems more like only 20 minutes.

Lori
--------
Lori : I agree with you! Friends always seems really short. I usually
can't believe it's over!
-sdj

<Your Real Name>

Feb 19, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/19/97

Flavio Riveros Cadena <flav...@correo.tamnet.com.mx> wrote in article
<01bc1de5$ecb914c0$87f1...@multicom.tamnet.com.mx>...

> Frasier
>
> Flavio Riveros Cadena
> Tampico Mexico

Friends is trendy 20 something crap, none of them are stars on their own,
all their movies bomb, they need big stars to do cameo appearances to get
more interest, rip off Seinfeld with the coffee shop talk, thinking
Chandler is gay (Seinfeld did it first) Etc, etc..

Frasier is psychiatrist (spelling?) talk that brought down Cheers when
Fraser and Diane went on and on. It is not funny period.

Seinfeld, the show about anything is clever, suttle, and something people
can relate to with their unique situations. Shows many aspects of the four
characters lives. The show is amazing.

Matt

Pat Reuter

Feb 20, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/20/97

I watch Seinfeld, Frasier and Friends and I can say unequivocally that
Frasier is the most consistently funny. Seinfeld sometimes goes a bit
off track (like the ep "Bizzaro Jerry") and the J. Peterman in the
jungle ep, but all-in-all it's a good half hour.

Friends, on the other hand, has degenerated into a predictable,
celebrity-laden bore. I mean, how much of the Ross & Rachel mushy,
jealousy, game-playing can we take? Imho, the best eps of Friends are
the ones where Rachel, Ross, the ditzy blond and the Courtney Cox
character are playing minor roles.

Pat

Bobby Downes

Feb 20, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/20/97

In article <01bc1e0a.4538fc40$9fe0...@jani.jaguarsystems.com>
"devendra m. jani" <ja...@jaguarsystems.com> writes:
Q: The one thing that has always struck me about this show
Q: is that it seems over so quick. More than any other show, its half hour
Q: seems more like only 20 minutes.
Q:
Q: Lori
Q: --------
Q: Lori : I agree with you! Friends always seems really short. I usually
Q: can't believe it's over!

What you on about? Friends does only last twenty minutes.

You know, advertising?

Something the Americans excel at over everyone else (then again
they excel at most things over everyone else. Americans are
cool.)

----
______________________________
/ Bobby Downes /\
/ e-mail: b...@sv.span.com / /
/ BBS: Sound & Vision / /
/ BBS: [UK] (0181) 288 8444 / /
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\/

smu...@mindspring.com

Feb 20, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/20/97

After a musical fanfare and a shower of fireworks, mls...@aol.com
(Mlsmal) produced the following:

>Well, if you consider that he's been personally responsible for making the
>*show* funny since season 1 and has been solely in charge of this since
>last season, you can't really argue that he's unfunny. Jerry is an
>observational comic and therefore, it makes sense that those he observes
>would be more outrageous with him in the role of the "straight man".
>Personally, I don't think that George would be funny at all without Jerry
>acting like he does (the same goes for Kramer if you find him funny --
>I've gotten darn tired of the character so he often drags the show down
>for me).

For the most part, I have to agree with you. I haven't watched
"Seinfeld" in several seasons, mainly for what you say above. IMHO,
George and (especially) Kramer have gotten almost *too* outrageous and
over-the-top. However, I don't know if I would go so far as to say
that Jerry has "carried" this season (if that's what you mean). Julia
Louis-Dreyfus is one of the funniest (and most under-appreciated)
comedic actresses on TV, and I think she has been just as important to
the show's longevity as Seinfeld himself has.

> If you want my opinion on the order of the shows, it's

>1) Newsradio
>2) Seinfeld
>3) Frasier
>4) Caroline in the City
>5) 3rd Rock from the Sun
>6) Boston Common
>7) King of the Hill
>8) Men Behaving Badly
>9) Chicago Sons
>10) Friends
>11) Single Guy
>12) Suddenly Susan

I know that differences of opinion are what make the world go 'round,
and I mean no offense, but you put "Men Behaving Badly" above those
other 4 shows? MBH has got to be one of the poorest shows on TV
(again, IMHO). What about "The Drew Carey Show", "Ellen", "Grace
Under Fire", and "Cybill"???

Lori Crittenden

Feb 20, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/20/97

Bobby Downes wrote:
> "devendra m. jani" <ja...@jaguarsystems.com> writes:
> Q: The one thing that has always struck me about this show
> Q: is that it seems over so quick. More than any other show, its half
> Q: hour seems more like only 20 minutes.
> Q: Lori

> Q: Lori : I agree with you! Friends always seems really short. I usually
> Q: can't believe it's over!
>
> What you on about? Friends does only last twenty minutes.
> You know, advertising?

I know that (silly!). Without going into long boring details, I was trying
to say that the 1/2 hour (commercials and all) never seems like a full 1/2
hour. It always seems much shorter than that. I don't get that feeling on
any other sitcom. I'm sure it doesn't have any more commercials than any
other show. It just zips along that much faster.

Lori

Patrick Denny

Feb 20, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/20/97

In article <01bc1ebe$f1df6420$34a4...@netrover.netrover.com>, "<Your Real
Name>" <<youruserid>@worldchat.com> wrote:

>Frasier is psychiatrist (spelling?) talk that brought down Cheers when
>Fraser and Diane went on and on. It is not funny period.

And you¹re here for what particular reason, please?

_/_/ _/_/ _/_/ _/_/ _/_/
PATRICK DENNY
pde...@wgn.net
Patri...@aol.com
_/_/ _/_/ _/_/ _/_/ _/_/

RICHARD PAUL

Feb 21, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/21/97

On 16 Feb 1997 03:48:02 GMT, whort...@aol.com (WHorton973) wrote:

>seinfeld and frasier are equally good but they are quite different types
>of comedy and humor. Seinfeld is more slapstick while frasier is often a
>little suttle. Seinfeld is a show that we could watch every night while
>frasier is OK less often. Maybe that would give seinfeld the edge.

Frasier is best, it's funny, suttle and makes me want more.
Fiends, well if only live was that good, and the woman, well lets not
be sexist.
Seinfeld, Slapsick say no more, that's way we sent Benny Hill to
the USA.

Just a thought from me

Richard.
England

Ryan

Feb 21, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/21/97

Lori Crittenden <LoriCritt...@worldnet.att.net> wrote in article
<330CEF...@worldnet.att.net>...

> I know that (silly!). Without going into long boring details, I was
trying
> to say that the 1/2 hour (commercials and all) never seems like a full
1/2
> hour. It always seems much shorter than that. I don't get that feeling
on
> any other sitcom. I'm sure it doesn't have any more commercials than any

> other show. It just zips along that much faster.
>
> Lori

Sorry folks... I thought I was on the Seinfeld newsgroup. I guess I'm
mistaken.... :)

Ryan

LORIKIRK

Feb 21, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/21/97

After a musical fanfare and a shower of fireworks, mls...@aol.com
(Mlsmal) produced the following:

> If you want my opinion on the order of the shows, it's

>1) Newsradio
>2) Seinfeld
>3) Frasier
>4) Caroline in the City
>5) 3rd Rock from the Sun
>6) Boston Common
>7) King of the Hill
>8) Men Behaving Badly
>9) Chicago Sons
>10) Friends
>11) Single Guy
>12) Suddenly Susan

Judging by your choice of "Newsradio" as #1, your selection criteria must
not have "comedy" as a priority. While I've wanted to like it, Newsradio
has never made me laugh. And "Caroline" at #4? With the exception of
"King of the Hill" (no comment), it would appear that you have one of
those newfangled NBC-only t.v sets. (Suddenly Susan is better than Larry
Sanders or Drew Carey???). And if that is the case, why doesn't Wings
make the list? It' s certainly a better show than at least six of your
choices. Just curious. LK

Stephanie L. Thompson

Feb 21, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/21/97

In article <01bc1de5$ecb914c0$87f1...@multicom.tamnet.com.mx>,
flav...@correo.tamnet.com.mx says...

>Frasier
>
>Flavio Riveros Cadena
>Tampico Mexico

Ditto. I watch all 3 regularly, but Frasier is the only one that makes me
laugh out loud every episode. Seinfeld can be priceless, but it can also be
so out there that I don't even get it sometimes. And Friends, well... I think
I only watch out of habit these days, although there are often some funny
one-liners... and I like Chandler and Joey.

SLT

Mlsmal

Feb 21, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/21/97

Somebody wrote (sorry, all I got was smugrad):

>After a musical fanfare and a shower of fireworks, mls...@aol.com
>(Mlsmal) produced the following:
>

>>Well, if you consider that he's been personally responsible for making
the
>>*show* funny since season 1 and has been solely in charge of this since
>>last season, you can't really argue that he's unfunny. Jerry is an
>>observational comic and therefore, it makes sense that those he observes
>>would be more outrageous with him in the role of the "straight man".
>>Personally, I don't think that George would be funny at all without
Jerry
>acting like he does (the same goes for Kramer if you find him funny --
>>I've gotten darn tired of the character so he often drags the show down
>>for me).
>
>For the most part, I have to agree with you. I haven't watched
>"Seinfeld" in several seasons, mainly for what you say above. IMHO,
>George and (especially) Kramer have gotten almost *too* outrageous and
>over-the-top. However, I don't know if I would go so far as to say
>that Jerry has "carried" this season (if that's what you mean). Julia
>Louis-Dreyfus is one of the funniest (and most under-appreciated)
>comedic actresses on TV, and I think she has been just as important to
>the show's longevity as Seinfeld himself has.

Let me clarify -- Jerry carries the show production-wise now. Jerry is
also the most normal of the characters and the straight man, but Jerry the
actor is also Jerry, the sole producer of the show now that Larry David is
gone.

>> If you want my opinion on the order of the shows, it's
>>
>>1) Newsradio
>>2) Seinfeld
>>3) Frasier
>>4) Caroline in the City
>>5) 3rd Rock from the Sun
>>6) Boston Common
>>7) King of the Hill
>>8) Men Behaving Badly
>>9) Chicago Sons
>>10) Friends
>>11) Single Guy
>>12) Suddenly Susan
>

>I know that differences of opinion are what make the world go 'round,
>and I mean no offense, but you put "Men Behaving Badly" above those
>other 4 shows? MBH has got to be one of the poorest shows on TV
>(again, IMHO). What about "The Drew Carey Show", "Ellen", "Grace
>Under Fire", and "Cybill"???

Men Behaving Badly is not a good show, and I do realize that. The reason I
watch it and even enjoy it sometimes is that I just really like Rob
Schneider and Justine Bateman. Even though the show is hardly the best in
the world, my attachment to the cast is enough for me. I haven't gotten
into Drew mainly because I have missed it most of the time (either because
Newsradio has been opposite it or because I didn't watch Wednesday TV),
but what I have seen has been good. I was a huge fan of his first show,
The Good Life. I personally can't stand Ellen, and I think Grace has gone
way down hill in the last couple of years. When does Cybill come on?

Regards,

Lee

Jennifer M. Blaske

Feb 21, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/21/97

Patrick Denny wrote:

> In article <01bc1ebe$f1df6420$34a4...@netrover.netrover.com>, "<Your Real
> Name>" <<youruserid>@worldchat.com> wrote:
>
> >Frasier is psychiatrist (spelling?) talk that brought down Cheers when
> >Fraser and Diane went on and on. It is not funny period.
>
> And you1re here for what particular reason, please?

For those of you who haven't noticed, this is a cross-posting, so this
person is probably not on the Frasier NG at all.

-Jen

DTSCHET

Feb 21, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/21/97
to Stephanie L. Thompson

Oh Yeah - I gotta say Frasier - Third Rock and this weeks' Friends was
great!

Uh- Seinfeld was mediocre, Newman was wonderful!!!!

Juliet7139

Feb 22, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/22/97

I think, and probably always will, that Frasier is the BEST sitcom
around. I love it for its characters, sincerity, and LOL hilarity. I hope
it will continue to flourish as time goes on. TV Guide put it best, "Like
a fine wine, Frasier gets better with age."
Long live the Fras. and all of his zanies. However, that being said, I
might as well print my other faves just to see what you all think of them.
Here are the top 15 IMHO:

1. Frasier
2. Seinfeld
3. XFiles
4. 3rd Rock From the Sun
5. ER
6. Caroline in the City
7. Ellen
8. Newsradio
9. Mad About You
10. Chicago Hope
11. The Simpsons
12. Friends
13. Cybill
14. The Naked Truth
15. The Nanny

Well there they are. I am a tad NBC biased, meaning that if nothing I like
is on, NBC is the channel I inevitably turn to. So those are the shows I
like (love in some instances), followed closely by every newsmagazine on
TV (Can't get enough of those!) with the possible exception of 60 minutes.

JuLiEt

Who is wondering why the re-release of Star Wars has brought about so many
comparisons between those intergalactic wierdos and everyone's fave
quintuplet group.

DTSCHET

Feb 22, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/22/97
to LACEY

Oh yes he is! Who else can we make fun of because he has such idiotic
friends????

;)

Bobby Downes

Feb 22, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/22/97

In article <01bc1fc3$7086d6a0$9195...@gambler1.cyberbeach.net>
"Ryan" <gamb...@cyberbeach.net> writes:

Q: Sorry folks... I thought I was on the Seinfeld newsgroup. I guess I'm
Q: mistaken.... :)

You are.

You're on all the bloody newsgroups.

RICHARD PAUL

Feb 23, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/23/97

It must be An USA thing
seinfeld just doe's not do it for me
what ever it is?

like I said before
( Frasier is best, it's funny, suttle and makes me want more.

Fiends, well if only live was that good, and the woman, well lets not
be sexist.

Seinfeld, Slapsick say no more.)

or is just me?

PS doe's anyone know how to find some one in Austin, TX, USA.
and I know this nothing to do with Frasier.
Richard.
England

Bobby Downes

Feb 23, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/23/97

In article <5ekndf$6...@newsstand.cit.cornell.edu>
sl...@cornell.edu (Stephanie L. Thompson) writes:
Q: In article <01bc1de5$ecb914c0$87f1...@multicom.tamnet.com.mx>,
Q: flav...@correo.tamnet.com.mx says...
Q: >
Q: >Frasier
Q: >
Q: >Flavio Riveros Cadena
Q: >Tampico Mexico
Q:
Q: Ditto. I watch all 3 regularly, but Frasier is the only one that makes me
Q: laugh out loud every episode. Seinfeld can be priceless, but it can also be
Q: so out there that I don't even get it sometimes. And Friends, well... I think
Q: I only watch out of habit these days, although there are often some funny
Q: one-liners... and I like Chandler and Joey.

Yeah... Frasier is consistently good, but it never quite injects
that feel-good factor (sorry if I sound like an English politician)
that Friends can manage, but on the other hand I never see an
episode of Frasier where I think

my word that was uncharacteristically poor

But sometimes I get that with Friends.

But, hey! Why are we arguing when we can watch all the ones we
want? (Especially is 'we' are American and 'we' can see series
three while poor old Bob is stuck on repeats of one and two!!!)

Edwin Eppich

Feb 23, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/23/97

Frasier is the best, hands down. Seinfeld used to be funny, but is now
unwatchable. Friends was always an inferior show.

debbie

Feb 23, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/23/97

Can we stop this thread now? I am clipping the targeted newsgroups
down to one by this message, so hopefully we can slow this thread
(which is really getting old).

Neal Stolar

Feb 24, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/24/97

devendra m. jani wrote:

> The one thing that has always struck me about this show
> is that it seems over so quick. More than any other show, its half hour

> seems more like only 20 minutes.
>
> Lori
> --------

> Lori : I agree with you! Friends always seems really short. I usually
> can't believe it's over!
> -sdj

It's about 22-23 minutes long without commercials. I was surprised when
this one ended since it seemed like there should have been more time
left, but that's probably because of the episode's plot and not any real
time differences. As for other sit-coms, I assume they have the same
time without commercials as Friends does.

The Hermit

Feb 25, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/25/97
to gus...@intergate.bc.ca

Gussel Timer wrote:

> LACEY wrote:
> >
> > I would just like to point out that on Seinfeld, Jerry is the only one who
> > isn't funny.
>
> You mean he's the only one the writers don't have ACT funny. However, he
> is given a lot of hilarious lines and put in screamingly funny
> situations. So he is funny, he just doesn't show it through acting. :)

I would like to add my 2cents worth...IMHO, Jerry is the core of this
show. Example: My husband and I didn't even LIKE Dr. Joel Fleishman in
Northern Exposure, but as soon as he left the show, it fell apart.
Jerry is at the heart of the writing of this show, and I know the
writing is good when, having taped a show, I'll re-wind repeatedly to
get just how a phrase was said, as the combination of writing and
delivery excells any other show on TV (as I said: IMHO).
I was watching The Raincoats pt.1; and had to get it straight just
how Jerry phrased it when he wondered why his parents didn't like
George's parents, the Constanzas:
Jerry's mom: "...We've never liked them."
Jerry: "Why?"
Mother: "Well they're so Loud. They're always fighting...it's
uncomfortable. You never notice?!"
Jerry: "Oh, I NOTICE...but they"re from your own age group - I didn't
think you could detect abnormal behavior from your own kind."
That comment just cracked me up!
Mary Jo the...@epix.net

"How Serendipitous!" (Kramer)

John J Martin

Feb 26, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/26/97

Frasier has been somewhat of a downer lately.. nothing happens-- he
begs, lies, cheats and/or steals to get a date, and then does
something stupid.

Has anybody figured out how to pick-out the celebrity guest-voices on
the radio show?

Ann

Kathy Lee says, "Faster, Cody wants a pony."
-- Craig Kilborn

Nd130

Mar 1, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/1/97

friends

KWilba3602

Mar 9, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/9/97

Frasier

KWilba3602

Mar 9, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/9/97

It should be an hour long!

Horrigan

Mar 11, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/11/97

Seinfeld is a better show, and a more innovative one. I find Frasier more
amusing, though....

Laneyz

Mar 11, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/11/97

short answer ; "Ink"