Happy St. Patrick's Day

broughps

Mar 17, 2021, 11:21:43 AM3/17/21
Do we have any Irish here? I have Irish on my mom's side.

Penni

Daniel65

Mar 18, 2021, 12:40:35 PM3/18/21
broughps wrote on 18/3/21 2:21 am:
> Do we have any Irish here? I have Irish on my mom's side.
>
> Penni

I think I'm about 3/8ths Irish .... so my Pommie 4/8th probably hates
that!! i.e. the Orange v the Green!!
--
Daniel

broughps

Mar 22, 2021, 11:13:26 AM3/22/21
My mum did a DNA test (I'm big into genealogy) and on Ancestry she had 7% Irish, on MyHeritage the combine Irish with Welsh and Scots and came up with 16%. Mind you any ethnicity results should be taken with grain of salt. 43% to 55% English too, depending on which site you use. She's actually a European mutt. lol

Daniel65

Mar 23, 2021, 3:56:51 AM3/23/21
broughps wrote on 23/3/21 2:13 am:
"Mind you any ethnicity results should be taken with grain of salt." Yeap!

My sister keeps re-submitting my DNA and, strangely, my make up keeps
changing .... even though I'm still me!! ;-)
--
Daniel

James

Mar 24, 2021, 8:06:14 PM3/24/21
On 18 Mar 2021, Daniel65 <dani...@eternal-september.org>
scrunched up his/her face, dug deep in his/her gray cells, and
screeched the following in alt.tv.farscape:
*counts on fingers, has to use the other hand*
Ummmm, Daniel? 3 + 4 = 7. What is the other 1/8th?
<snerk>

James
--
-- Well-behaved women seldom make history.
== The really raucous ones DO leave their mark.

..... just saying .....

James

Mar 24, 2021, 8:09:01 PM3/24/21
On 22 Mar 2021, broughps <brou...@aol.com> scrunched up his/her
face, dug deep in his/her gray cells, and screeched the following
in alt.tv.farscape:

Bow-wow-wow, yippie-yo, yippie-yay. Does your mum chase parked
cars and bark at lawn gnomes? Sorry, Pen-NAH! Couldn't help
myself!

James

Mar 24, 2021, 8:16:32 PM3/24/21
On 23 Mar 2021, Daniel65 <dani...@eternal-september.org>
scrunched up his/her face, dug deep in his/her gray cells, and
screeched the following in alt.tv.farscape:
> broughps wrote on 23/3/21 2:13 am:

++ As heartless as it may seem, snippage was used ++

>> and Scots and came up with 16%. Mind you any ethnicity results
>> should be taken with grain of salt. 43% to 55% English too,
>> depending on which site you use. She's actually a European
>> mutt. lol
>>
> "Mind you any ethnicity results should be taken with grain of
> salt." Yeap!
>
> My sister keeps re-submitting my DNA and, strangely, my make
> up[1] keeps changing .... even though I'm still me!! ;-)

Well, either the change in your DNA is due to the usage of non-
prescription pharmaceuticals OR if you have undergone some sort
of medical examination by extraterrestrials (you know, probes
in... THAT area). Of course, the results could be suspect un-
less performed by a certified genetics lab. (Oh, wait! You
said something to that effect. Nevermindthen.)

[1] For some reason, I started picturing you as various members
of the band KISS, switching face-paint because you couldn't settle
on a favorite. <snerk>

Daniel65

Mar 26, 2021, 4:50:16 AM3/26/21
James wrote on 25/3/21 11:16 am:
> On 23 Mar 2021, Daniel65 <dani...@eternal-september.org>
> scrunched up his/her face, dug deep in his/her gray cells, and
> screeched the following in alt.tv.farscape:
>> broughps wrote on 23/3/21 2:13 am:
>
> ++ As heartless as it may seem, snippage was used ++
>
>>> and Scots and came up with 16%. Mind you any ethnicity results
>>> should be taken with grain of salt. 43% to 55% English too,
>>> depending on which site you use. She's actually a European
>>> mutt. lol
>>>
>> "Mind you any ethnicity results should be taken with grain of
>> salt." Yeap!
>>
>> My sister keeps re-submitting my DNA and, strangely, my make
>> up[1] keeps changing .... even though I'm still me!! ;-)
>
> Well, either the change in your DNA is due to the usage of non-
> prescription pharmaceuticals OR if you have undergone some sort
> of medical examination by extraterrestrials (you know, probes
> in... THAT area). Of course, the results could be suspect un-
> less performed by a certified genetics lab. (Oh, wait! You
> said something to that effect. Nevermindthen.)
>
> [1] For some reason, I started picturing you as various members
> of the band KISS, switching face-paint because you couldn't settle
> on a favorite. <snerk>
>
> James

No, never been into face-paint! ;-P

My sister seems to think that as more and more (current day) people get
their DNA it can (somehow) influence where my (historic) DNA came from!!

Buggered if I know!!
--
Daniel

Daniel65

Mar 26, 2021, 4:54:04 AM3/26/21
James wrote on 25/3/21 11:06 am:
> On 18 Mar 2021, Daniel65 <dani...@eternal-september.org>
> scrunched up his/her face, dug deep in his/her gray cells, and
> screeched the following in alt.tv.farscape:
>
>> broughps wrote on 18/3/21 2:21 am:
>>> Do we have any Irish here? I have Irish on my mom's side.
>>>
>>> Penni
>>>
>> I think I'm about 3/8ths Irish .... so my Pommie 4/8th probably
>> hates that!! i.e. the Orange v the Green!!
>
> *counts on fingers, has to use the other hand*
> Ummmm, Daniel? 3 + 4 = 7. What is the other 1/8th?
> <snerk>
>
> James

Ah!! Well, there's the problem .... no "other hand"!! ;-P

Croatian!
--
Daniel

broughps

Apr 3, 2021, 10:45:40 AM4/3/21
Yes as more people test it changes the ?metrics (is that the right word?) and can change the percentages.

Penni

Daniel65

Apr 4, 2021, 8:53:57 AM4/4/21
broughps wrote on 4/4/21 1:45 am:
Yeah!! I've sort of started with a large Irish/Celt influence, moved
back across northern Europe to now have a decent part of Eastern Europe DNA.

And yes, as we're talking about measuring things, I think 'metrics' is
appropriate!
--
Daniel

broughps

Apr 5, 2021, 10:32:24 AM4/5/21
My mum did her DNA through Ancestry, but I also uploaded it to MyHeritage. The MyHeritage ethnicity percentages match the paper trail much closer than the Ancestry ones do.

Penni

Daniel65

Apr 6, 2021, 3:43:33 AM4/6/21
broughps wrote on 6/4/21 12:32 am:
Hmm! I think my sister was contributing/determining via Ancestry!

Might suggest she tries MyHeritage
--
Daniel

broughps

Apr 6, 2021, 10:18:33 AM4/6/21
If she's actually interested in genealogy and wants to find matches to her DNA I would also suggest uploading her DNA to Gedmatch.

Penni

James

Apr 6, 2021, 1:36:18 PM4/6/21
On 06 Apr 2021, broughps <brou...@aol.com> scrunched up his/her
face, dug deep in his/her gray cells, and screeched the following
in alt.tv.farscape:

> On Tuesday, April 6, 2021 at 3:43:33 AM UTC-4, Daniel65 wrote:
>> broughps wrote on 6/4/21 12:32 am:

I was going to say something to that effect but Pen-NAH! beat me
to it.

Just as long as I don't have to start measuring things in centi-
meters and liters, I am on board.

>> > My mum did her DNA through Ancestry, but I also uploaded it
>> > to MyHeritage. The MyHeritage ethnicity percentages match the
>> > paper trail much closer than the Ancestry ones do.

I think you got it figured out: sample the various tests and see
how they align with each other and the paper trail as you put it.

>> Hmm! I think my sister was contributing/determining via
>> Ancestry!
>>
>> Might suggest she tries MyHeritage
>> --
>> Daniel
>
> If she's actually interested in genealogy and wants to find
> matches to her DNA I would also suggest uploading her DNA to
> Gedmatch.

At this point, I'm going to step off. Good luck, you folks,
with the family tree thing.

Daniel65

Apr 6, 2021, 11:01:08 PM4/6/21
James wrote on 7/4/21 3:36 am:
> On 06 Apr 2021, broughps <brou...@aol.com> scrunched up his/her
> face, dug deep in his/her gray cells, and screeched the following
> in alt.tv.farscape:
>> On Tuesday, April 6, 2021 at 3:43:33 AM UTC-4, Daniel65 wrote:
>>> broughps wrote on 6/4/21 12:32 am:

<Snip>

> I think you got it figured out: sample the various tests and see
> how they align with each other and the paper trail as you put it.
>
>>> Hmm! I think my sister was contributing/determining via
>>> Ancestry!
>>>
>>> Might suggest she tries MyHeritage
>>> --
>>> Daniel
>>
>> If she's actually interested in genealogy and wants to find
>> matches to her DNA I would also suggest uploading her DNA to
>> Gedmatch.
>
> At this point, I'm going to step off. Good luck, you folks,
> with the family tree thing.
>
> James

Ah, well, make sure you're stepping off a low branch, James, .... of the
family tree! ;-P
--
Daniel

James

Apr 9, 2021, 8:32:41 PM4/9/21
On 06 Apr 2021, Daniel65 <dani...@eternal-september.org>
Eh. If I fall, hopefully I will land... what am I saying?! I am
not monkeying around on my (or anyone else's) family tree, so no
worries.

1/8 Croatian. Figures. Trying to jinx me like that...!

James
--
Entropy requires no maintenance.[1]

[1] Neither does apathy.[2]

[2] Not that anyone cares...

Daniel65

Apr 10, 2021, 7:41:44 AM4/10/21
1/8 Croatian!! HUH!! Where did that come from??
--
Daniel

Daniel65

Apr 10, 2021, 7:43:13 AM4/10/21
Daniel65 wrote on 10/04/2021 9:41 pm:
> James wrote on 10/04/2021 10:32 am:
>> On 06 Apr 2021, Daniel65 <dani...@eternal-september.org>
>> scrunched up his/her face, dug deep in his/her gray cells, and
>> screeched the following in alt.tv.farscape:

>>> <Snip>

>>> Ah, well, make sure you're stepping off a low branch, James,
>>> .... of the family tree! ;-P
>>
>> Eh.  If I fall, hopefully I will land... what am I saying?!  I am
>> not monkeying around on my (or anyone else's) family tree, so no
>> worries.
>>
>> 1/8 Croatian.  Figures.  Trying to jinx me like that...!
>>

>> James
>>
> 1/8 Croatian!! HUH!! Where did that come from??

Opps!! Found!!
--
Daniel