Please - say it ain't so!!!!

1 view

Tom Francis

Mar 20, 2002, 10:34:27 AM3/20/02

Tom Francis

Mar 20, 2002, 10:35:52 AM3/20/02

"Tom Francis" <tom...@earthlink.net> wrote in message
news:a7aa62$k0435$1...@ID-36512.news.dfncis.de...

> http://robertreich.org/2002/index.asp

This is even stranger.

http://mittromney.blogspot.com/

Thinkum

Mar 20, 2002, 10:43:20 AM3/20/02
Tom Francis wrote:
> Tom Francis wrote

Southern New England is a very strange place.

--
Thinkum
http://www.snurcher.com/

"You're very wise." "I don't get out much, so I read."

Alexander Moon

Mar 20, 2002, 10:47:33 AM3/20/02
Thinkum <thinku...@snurcher.com> wrote in

> Tom Francis wrote:
>> Tom Francis wrote
>>>
>>> http://robertreich.org/2002/index.asp
>>
>> This is even stranger.
>> http://mittromney.blogspot.com/
>
> Southern New England is a very strange place.

I think we should give it back to the Brits.

Thinkum

Mar 20, 2002, 10:50:05 AM3/20/02
Alexander Moon wrote:

> Thinkum wrote:
>> Tom Francis wrote:
>>> Tom Francis wrote

>>> This is even stranger.
>>> http://mittromney.blogspot.com/
>>
>> Southern New England is a very strange place.
>
> I think we should give it back to the Brits.

Okay, but they can't have Fred.

Alexander Moon

Mar 20, 2002, 10:51:41 AM3/20/02

> Alexander Moon wrote:
>> Thinkum wrote:

>>> Southern New England is a very strange place.
>>
>> I think we should give it back to the Brits.
>
> Okay, but they can't have Fred.

Of course not.
Fred doesn't exist.

Thinkum

Mar 20, 2002, 10:53:28 AM3/20/02
Alexander Moon wrote:
> Thinkum wrote:
>> Alexander Moon wrote:

>>> I think we should give it back to the Brits.
>>
>> Okay, but they can't have Fred.
>
> Of course not.
> Fred doesn't exist.

Nonsense. My imagination would never conjure up a significant other who
likes fish and not broccoli.

Alexander Moon

Mar 20, 2002, 10:55:28 AM3/20/02

> Alexander Moon wrote:
>> Thinkum wrote:

>>> Okay, but they can't have Fred.
>>
>> Of course not.
>> Fred doesn't exist.
>
> Nonsense. My imagination would never conjure up a significant other who
> likes fish and not broccoli.

He doesn't like broccoli? He's a barbarian!!

Nick

Mar 20, 2002, 10:55:38 AM3/20/02
Tom Francis wrote:

> http://robertreich.org/2002/index.asp

Is that the short guy?

Nick

Mar 20, 2002, 10:58:32 AM3/20/02
Thinkum wrote:

> Tom Francis wrote:
>> Tom Francis wrote
>>>
>>> http://robertreich.org/2002/index.asp
>>
>> This is even stranger.
>> http://mittromney.blogspot.com/
>
> Southern New England is a very strange place.

We are not strange down here.

Angelus

Mar 20, 2002, 10:58:53 AM3/20/02

<snip>
--

I think we should give it back to the Brits.

what makes you think we want it back?
well maybe you could pay us to take it off your hands

-------------------------------
Pinky and the Brain :
B:Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?
P:I think so, Brain, but what if the
hippopotamus won't wear the beach thong?
http://pinkyworld.virtualave.net/pondering.html

Tom Francis

Mar 20, 2002, 11:02:08 AM3/20/02

"Nick" <ni...@snurcher.com> wrote in message

> Tom Francis wrote:
>
> > http://robertreich.org/2002/index.asp
>
> Is that the short guy?

Yes - he is going for the sympathy vote.

Tom Francis

Mar 20, 2002, 11:02:50 AM3/20/02

"Thinkum" <thinku...@snurcher.com> wrote in message

> Alexander Moon wrote:
> > Thinkum wrote:

> >> Okay, but they can't have Fred.
> >
> > Of course not.
> > Fred doesn't exist.
>
> Nonsense. My imagination would never conjure up a significant other who
> likes fish and not broccoli.

DOESN'T LIKE BROCCOLI!?!?!?!?!?!?

THE HORROR - THE HUMANITY!!!!!!

Thinkum

Mar 20, 2002, 11:04:06 AM3/20/02
Alexander Moon wrote:
> Thinkum wrote:
>> Alexander Moon wrote:

>>> Of course not.
>>> Fred doesn't exist.
>>
>> Nonsense. My imagination would never conjure up a significant other who
>> likes fish and not broccoli.
>
> He doesn't like broccoli? He's a barbarian!!

But he doesn't complain about my cooking, so I guess maybe I'll keep him
anyway. ;-)

Alexander Moon

Mar 20, 2002, 11:06:53 AM3/20/02

> Alexander Moon wrote:
>> Thinkum wrote:

>>> Nonsense. My imagination would never conjure up a significant other
>>> who likes fish and not broccoli.
>>
>> He doesn't like broccoli? He's a barbarian!!
>
> But he doesn't complain about my cooking, so I guess maybe I'll keep
> him anyway. ;-)

He's not stupid, he knows a good thingum when he has it.

Tom Francis

Mar 20, 2002, 11:10:14 AM3/20/02

"Thinkum" <thinku...@snurcher.com> wrote in message

> Alexander Moon wrote:
> > Thinkum wrote:

> >> Nonsense. My imagination would never conjure up a significant other
who
> >> likes fish and not broccoli.
> >
> > He doesn't like broccoli? He's a barbarian!!
>
> But he doesn't complain about my cooking, so I guess maybe I'll keep him
> anyway. ;-)

I think we will let Fred speak for himself on that score young lady.

Cook - who knew?

Erik Browne

Mar 20, 2002, 2:59:39 PM3/20/02
In article <a7abj7$jhnlq$6...@ID-19674.news.dfncis.de>,

Well of course not, you're in North Central New England.

Southern New England is, like, Tierra del Fuego.

Erik Browne | (2^13466917)-1 is prime!
er...@browne.name | http://www.mersenne.org/prime.htm
"Apparently I'm insane. But I'm one of the happy kinds!"

jayembee

Mar 20, 2002, 5:18:32 PM3/20/02
Thinkum <thinku...@snurcher.com> wrote

> Tom Francis wrote:
>> Tom Francis wrote

>>> http://robertreich.org/2002/index.asp

>> This is even stranger.
>> http://mittromney.blogspot.com/

> Southern New England is a very strange place.

After having to put up with Citizen Jane, almost anyone is a
viable alternative.

-- jayembee

jayembee

Mar 20, 2002, 5:20:03 PM3/20/02
Alexander Moon <moonm...@yahoo.com> wrote

> Thinkum <thinku...@snurcher.com> wrote

>>> Of course not. Fred doesn't exist.

>> Nonsense. My imagination would never conjure up a
>> significant other who likes fish and not broccoli.

> He doesn't like broccoli? He's a barbarian!!

To quote Mork: "Broccoli is despised throughout the universe."

-- jayembee

Tom Francis

Mar 20, 2002, 5:32:00 PM3/20/02

"jayembee" <jerry.b...@eds.com> wrote in message

Jane Swift got the bad end of a bad deal.

From day one she had the crap kicked out of her for anything
and everything. And it isn't the Republican Mommy bit either.

What it is are the Republican and Democrat gray hair males
who couldn't stand the fact that the state was being run by
a female that did her in.

And it's a damn shame to, because she is a nice lady, smart
and given half a chance, could have been a great governor.

Then again, Massachusetts is responsible for Mike Dukaka
so it somehow figures they would want to rid themselves
of a smart policy wonk woman.

Tom Francis

Mar 20, 2002, 5:32:52 PM3/20/02

"jayembee" <jerry.b...@eds.com> wrote in message

Like spinach, broccoli is good for you.

Makes you smart too.

Hmmmmm.....................smart, broccoli - Fred............

Must ruminate.

jayembee

Mar 20, 2002, 8:28:11 PM3/20/02
"Tom Francis" <tom...@earthlink.net> wrote
> "Thinkum" <thinku...@snurcher.com> wrote

>> But he doesn't complain about my cooking, so I guess maybe
>> I'll keep him anyway. ;-)

> I think we will let Fred speak for himself on that score young lady.

If you insist. She's correct, I don't complain about her cooking.
Not only do I not complain about it, I actually like it. :-)

-- jayembee

jayembee

Mar 20, 2002, 8:29:14 PM3/20/02
"Tom Francis" <tom...@earthlink.net> wrote

> DOESN'T LIKE BROCCOLI!?!?!?!?!?!?

> THE HORROR - THE HUMANITY!!!!!!

That's correct. Broccoli is a horror, and not liking
it is a sign of humanity.

-- jayembee

Tom Francis

Mar 20, 2002, 8:52:50 PM3/20/02

"jayembee" <jerry.b...@eds.com> wrote in message

I'm human and I like broccoli.................

Well, I am!!

Tom Francis

Mar 20, 2002, 8:53:12 PM3/20/02

"jayembee" <jerry.b...@eds.com> wrote in message

Damn - who knew?

Jim Larson

Mar 20, 2002, 8:55:34 PM3/20/02
Tom Francis wrote:

So do I, but now I am beginning to question my humanity.

--
Jim

Thinkum

Mar 20, 2002, 9:21:51 PM3/20/02
Tom Francis wrote:
> jayembee wrote
>> Tom Francis wrote
>>> Thinkum wrote

>>> I think we will let Fred speak for himself on that score young lady.
>>
>> If you insist. She's correct, I don't complain about her cooking.
>> Not only do I not complain about it, I actually like it. :-)
>
> Damn - who knew?

Surprised the heck out of me... <g>

Tom Francis

Mar 20, 2002, 9:39:44 PM3/20/02

> Tom Francis wrote:
> > jayembee wrote
> >> Tom Francis wrote

> >> If you insist. She's correct, I don't complain about her cooking.
> >> Not only do I not complain about it, I actually like it. :-)
> >
> > Damn - who knew?
>
> Surprised the heck out of me... <g>

You know, there is a potential for a Food Channel Sitcom here.

Two "almost over the hillers" hook up and discover that
neither can't cook.

Hilarity ensues.

TNW7Z

Mar 21, 2002, 1:14:34 AM3/21/02
From: "Tom Francis" tom...@earthlink.net

Here's my take on Jane Swift (along with a little history) --

- Weld laid off 5000 state employees. In some cases it hurt services; in other
cases it cleaned out the cobwebs. The state has not had "fat" in the human
services in a long time.

- During the economic boom, the voters of MA agreed that they wanted the state
*surplus* returned to them in the form of a tax cut.

- Now that the state is in a recession, Swift is laying off needed human
service workers from many of the same departments which were hit hard under
Weld (Dept. of Mental Retardation, Dept. of Mental Health, Dept. of Social
Services, Vocational rehabilitation, etc., etc.). Swift's claim of "I can't
delay the tax cut because I won't go against the voters" is disingenuous, as
she knows if the voters went to the polls today and were given the choice
between further cuts in the human services or delaying the tax cut, most would
vote to delay the cut.

She's causing a lot of suffering, and I am just as happy to see her go.

As for Mike Dukakis -- he ran an uncorrupt/no-patronage government, unlike his
successors. And many of the programs he championed (e.g. decent services for
the mentally ill) which were cut by Weld eventually ended up in crisis and had
to have money pumped back into them.

I think there's value to having parties swap power so that excesses can be
corrected. Republicans clean up Democrats' messes and vice versa. The problem
is when the pendulum has already swung far enough in one direction and those in
power keep trying to push it further.

TNW

James Boe

Mar 21, 2002, 3:09:55 AM3/21/02
jerry.b...@eds.com (jayembee) wrote:
> Tom Francis <tom...@earthlink.net> wrote:
>> Thinkum <thinku...@snurcher.com> wrote
>>>
>>> But he doesn't complain about my cooking, so I guess
>>> maybe I'll keep him anyway. ;-)

Translation from ThinkumSpeak: "Aftew wosing so many
pwevious Fweds, I am vewy vewy caweful to keep the
key to the manacles in my pocket!"

>> I think we will let Fred speak for himself on that
>> score young lady.
>
> If you insist. She's correct, I don't complain about
> her cooking. Not only do I not complain about it, I
> actually like it.

Translation from JerrySpeak: "Are you kidding?! If
I were to complain about this, I wouldn't be eating
anything AT ALL! (It's just that I never saw gray
mashed potatoes before!!)"

--
James
"Liberty is better served by presenting a clear

Tom Francis

Mar 21, 2002, 7:06:00 AM3/21/02

"TNW7Z" <tn...@aol.comNoSpam> wrote in message

~~ TNW's fine examination of MA politics snipped
for brevity ~~

What I said, and I will repeat this once more and then drop
it, is that Jane Swift was not given a chance to think through
some issues because of the constant harping of the two major
papers, the poor advising of people who were as out of their
element as she was and the fact that she was a mommy with
three kids and that worst of all crimes in MA politics, a
woman.

The gray hairs of both parties didn't want a woman in that
job never mind a woman with ~~ horrors ~~ young children.

That is also why you will never see Shannon O'Brien make
a decent run at governor.

I did not care for some of what Jane Swift proposed or did
either, but I also recognize that the supposed great liberal
bastion of the nation, home of Ted Kennedy who is so
secure in his feudal home that he can name his dog Splash,
isn't so liberal after all.

Nick

Mar 21, 2002, 8:45:57 AM3/21/02
jayembee wrote:

Ask her for grits.

Paul Schofield

Mar 21, 2002, 8:45:38 AM3/21/02

"Tom Francis" <tom...@earthlink.net> wrote in message

...snip... home of Ted Kennedy who is so

> secure in his feudal home that he can name his dog Splash,
> isn't so liberal after all.

Ugh. What's so politically sensitive about naming your dog after a movie
about a dolphin?

Paul Schofield

Tom Francis

Mar 21, 2002, 8:48:47 AM3/21/02

"Nick" <ni...@snurcher.com> wrote in message

mmmmmmmmmmmmmgritsmmmmmmmmmmmm

Tom Francis

Mar 21, 2002, 8:53:16 AM3/21/02

"Paul Schofield" <pa...@sonifex.co.uk> wrote in message

BBAAWWWAAHHHHAAAA!!!!!!

Oh wait, you were serious..........

Ted Kennedy was involved in an auto accident in which a
young lady died by drowning. It was clearly his fault, however
due to the nature of MA politics and the fact that he was a
Kennedy, he was not charged with manslaughter like you or I
would have been and instead was given a free pass.

The fact that he named his dog Splash is kid of ironic
wouldn't you say?

Thinkum

Mar 21, 2002, 9:25:53 AM3/21/02
Tom Francis wrote:
> Nick wrote

>> jayembee wrote:
>>> Tom Francis wrote

>>> If you insist. She's correct, I don't complain about her cooking.
>>> Not only do I not complain about it, I actually like it. :-)
>>
>> Ask her for grits.
>
> mmmmmmmmmmmmmgritsmmmmmmmmmmmm

:-P :-P :-P

Jim Larson

Mar 21, 2002, 9:27:06 AM3/21/02
Thinkum wrote:

> Tom Francis wrote:
>> Nick wrote

>>> Ask her for grits.
>>
>> mmmmmmmmmmmmmgritsmmmmmmmmmmmm
>
>:-P :-P :-P

So what's wrong with grits?

--
Jim

John Iwaniszek

Mar 21, 2002, 9:32:36 AM3/21/02
Jim Larson wrote:

It's not the grits, per se, that are disgusting, but the slim that
surrounds them.

Nick

Mar 21, 2002, 9:33:45 AM3/21/02
John Iwaniszek wrote:

What are you talking about? Grits are the official breakfast food of
New England.

Thinkum

Mar 21, 2002, 9:38:38 AM3/21/02
Nick wrote:
> John Iwaniszek wrote:
>> Jim Larson wrote:

>>> So what's wrong with grits?
>>
>> It's not the grits, per se, that are disgusting, but the slim that
>> surrounds them.

Sometimes it's the grits, too, if they're made from hominy.

> What are you talking about? Grits are the official breakfast food of
> New England.

Yes, but only for that portion of New England which is south of the
Mason-Dixon demarcation.

jayembee

Mar 21, 2002, 12:53:57 PM3/21/02
"Tom Francis" <tom...@earthlink.net> wrote

> Jane Swift got the bad end of a bad deal.

[snip]

Bleah.

I haven't liked Swift from Day One. Hell, even before Day One,
when she was Celucci's henchperson. It has nothing to do with
her being a woman, it has nothing to do with her being a mommy.
And to insist that *that* is the reason why she didn't succeed
is grasping at straws, and ignoring the fact that she didn't
know what she was doing.

-- jayembee

jayembee

Mar 21, 2002, 12:58:47 PM3/21/02
"Tom Francis" <tom...@earthlink.net> wrote

>> To quote Mork: "Broccoli is despised throughout the universe."

> Like spinach, broccoli is good for you.

So what's your point?

There are a lot of things that are good for me. Enough
that I can satisfy myself with the ones that I find
delicious (like, say, lima beans) and ignore the ones
I don't.

> Makes you smart too.

So does fish, which I love. And eating fish has made me
smart enough to understand that I don't need broccoli.

> Hmmmmm.....................smart, broccoli - Fred............

> Must ruminate.

Just remember to wash your hands afterwards.

-- effembee

Tyler Trafford

Mar 21, 2002, 12:58:52 PM3/21/02
jayembee wrote:

Well, she was under closer scrutiny than anyone else would have been.

--
Tyler Trafford
ttra...@acm.org

Tom Francis

Mar 21, 2002, 1:00:58 PM3/21/02

"jayembee" <jerry.b...@eds.com> wrote in message

She wasn't Governor long enough to have done anything
for crying out loud.

And, while this may be news to some people who don't
have the time to listen to radio like I do, from Day One,
the talk outlets all the way out to Worcester and beyond
beat the crap out of her.

It had everything to do with her being a woman, with
children and a dead beat husband.

She got a raw deal, had lousy advice and made some
bad choices.

A victim of the male establishment on both sides of the
aisle.

Tom Francis

Mar 21, 2002, 1:02:54 PM3/21/02

"jayembee" <jerry.b...@eds.com> wrote in message
> "Tom Francis" <tom...@earthlink.net> wrote
>
> >> To quote Mork: "Broccoli is despised throughout the universe."
>
> > Like spinach, broccoli is good for you.
>
> So what's your point?
>
> There are a lot of things that are good for me. Enough
> that I can satisfy myself with the ones that I find
> delicious (like, say, lima beans) and ignore the ones
> I don't.

I like lima beans.

> > Makes you smart too.
>
> So does fish, which I love. And eating fish has made me
> smart enough to understand that I don't need broccoli.

I like fish also - can't eat it, but hey..........

> > Hmmmmm.....................smart, broccoli - Fred............
>
> > Must ruminate.
>
> Just remember to wash your hands afterwards.

Will do.

What's your stand on cauliflower? Brussels Sprouts?

Nick

Mar 21, 2002, 1:03:20 PM3/21/02
jayembee wrote:

I know nothing about this particular situation but I gather that this
woman was or is the governor in Massachusetts. This brings me to my
question, how could a first term governor know what they are doing if
they haven't done it before?

Thinkum

Mar 21, 2002, 1:04:12 PM3/21/02
jayembee wrote:
> Tom Francis wrote
>>
>> Like spinach, broccoli is good for you.
>
> So what's your point?
>
> There are a lot of things that are good for me. Enough
> that I can satisfy myself with the ones that I find
> delicious (like, say, lima beans) and ignore the ones
> I don't.
>
>> Makes you smart too.
>
> So does fish, which I love. And eating fish has made me
> smart enough to understand that I don't need broccoli.

So if fish negates broccoli, how do you rationalize not liking spinach? ;-)

Tyler Trafford

Mar 21, 2002, 1:07:32 PM3/21/02
Nick wrote:

Good point, and not even a full-term at that.

--
Tyler Trafford
ttra...@acm.org

Mar 21, 2002, 1:08:18 PM3/21/02
Thinkum wrote:

> jayembee wrote:
> > Tom Francis wrote
> >>
> >> Like spinach, broccoli is good for you.
> >
> > So what's your point?
> >
> > There are a lot of things that are good for me. Enough
> > that I can satisfy myself with the ones that I find
> > delicious (like, say, lima beans) and ignore the ones
> > I don't.
> >
> >> Makes you smart too.
> >
> > So does fish, which I love. And eating fish has made me
> > smart enough to understand that I don't need broccoli.
>
> So if fish negates broccoli, how do you rationalize not liking spinach? ;-)

No one needs to rationalize not liking spinach. It's those that like
that need to do the rationalizing. :-)

K (who once had to read Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance, 1984,
and Brave New World, and write a paper applying them to the quality of
instructional design and ended up using spinach as an example...)

Thinkum

Mar 21, 2002, 1:10:18 PM3/21/02
K wrote:

> Thinkum wrote:
>>
>> So if fish negates broccoli, how do you rationalize not liking spinach?
>> ;-)
>
> No one needs to rationalize not liking spinach. It's those that like
> that need to do the rationalizing. :-)

Aw, didn't you ever watch Popeye? ;-)

> K (who once had to read Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance, 1984,
> and Brave New World, and write a paper applying them to the quality of
> instructional design and ended up using spinach as an example...)

LOL!

John Iwaniszek

Mar 21, 2002, 1:18:55 PM3/21/02
K wrote:

I just used some chard from my garden in a batch of chicken curry.

Mar 21, 2002, 1:27:29 PM3/21/02
Thinkum wrote:

> K wrote:
> > Thinkum wrote:
> >>
> >> So if fish negates broccoli, how do you rationalize not liking spinach?
> >> ;-)
> >
> > No one needs to rationalize not liking spinach. It's those that like
> > that need to do the rationalizing. :-)
>
> Aw, didn't you ever watch Popeye? ;-)

Curiously enough, I used Popeye in my paper. :-)

> > K (who once had to read Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance, 1984,
> > and Brave New World, and write a paper applying them to the quality of
> > instructional design and ended up using spinach as an example...)
>
> LOL!

The whole point came down to quality is different things to different
people, and one's definition of quality can change based on any given
situation (and outside influences including the media). As a child,
someone might look at spinach and say, "It's green and slimy and I'm not
going to eat it." Another kid might say, "It's full of good stuff and
it will make me strong like Popeye!" As an adult, the first person
might say, "It has vitamins and antioxidants and I really should eat it
for my health," while the other says, "You know, it really is green and
slimy and I'm too old to have to eat anything I really don't like."

I got an A on the paper. :-)

John Iwaniszek

Mar 21, 2002, 1:30:49 PM3/21/02
K wrote:

Eat your damn spinach and be quiet.

Thinkum

Mar 21, 2002, 1:35:07 PM3/21/02
K wrote:
> Thinkum wrote:
>> K wrote:
>>>
>>> [...] once had to read Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance, 1984,

>>> and Brave New World, and write a paper applying them to the quality of
>>> instructional design and ended up using spinach as an example...)
>>
>> LOL!
>
> The whole point came down to quality is different things to different
> people, and one's definition of quality can change based on any given
> situation (and outside influences including the media). As a child,
> someone might look at spinach and say, "It's green and slimy and I'm not
> going to eat it." Another kid might say, "It's full of good stuff and
> it will make me strong like Popeye!" As an adult, the first person
> might say, "It has vitamins and antioxidants and I really should eat it
> for my health," while the other says, "You know, it really is green and
> slimy and I'm too old to have to eat anything I really don't like."
>
> I got an A on the paper. :-)

Somehow, I am not in the least surprised. ;-)

Erik Browne

Mar 21, 2002, 2:44:24 PM3/21/02

If the spinach is slimy then it was prepared wrong. It sounds like someone
cooked it, which is a sin against spinach.

Erik Browne | (2^13466917)-1 is prime!
er...@browne.name | http://www.mersenne.org/prime.htm
"Apparently I'm insane. But I'm one of the happy kinds!"

John Iwaniszek

Mar 21, 2002, 2:52:59 PM3/21/02
Erik Browne wrote:

Lightly sauteed with whole garlic cloves and pine nuts is also sinful.

Nick

Mar 21, 2002, 2:54:25 PM3/21/02
John Iwaniszek wrote:

And don't even bring up that bastion of immorality that is Madeline.

John Iwaniszek

Mar 21, 2002, 2:58:23 PM3/21/02
Nick wrote:

All I can say is "Ow."

http://www.virtualcities.com/ons/la/p/lap76031.htm

Nick

Mar 21, 2002, 3:06:04 PM3/21/02
John Iwaniszek wrote:

That place is about a 40 minute drive from here.

Tyler Trafford

Mar 21, 2002, 4:15:52 PM3/21/02
K wrote:

> The whole point came down to quality is different things to different
> people, and one's definition of quality can change based on any given
> situation (and outside influences including the media). As a child,
> someone might look at spinach and say, "It's green and slimy and I'm
> not going to eat it." Another kid might say, "It's full of good stuff
> and it will make me strong like Popeye!" As an adult, the first
> person might say, "It has vitamins and antioxidants and I really
> should eat it for my health," while the other says, "You know, it
> really is green and slimy and I'm too old to have to eat anything I
> really don't like."

I love spinach, especially in lots of butter.

--
Tyler Trafford
ttra...@acm.org

Thinkum

Mar 21, 2002, 4:17:43 PM3/21/02

mmmmmmspinachmmmmm ;-)

Trouble

Mar 21, 2002, 4:22:08 PM3/21/02
Thinkum wrote:

> Tyler Trafford wrote:
>> K wrote:

>>> The whole point came down to quality is different things to different
>>> people, and one's definition of quality can change based on any given
>>> situation (and outside influences including the media). As a child,
>>> someone might look at spinach and say, "It's green and slimy and I'm
>>> not going to eat it." Another kid might say, "It's full of good stuff
>>> and it will make me strong like Popeye!" As an adult, the first
>>> person might say, "It has vitamins and antioxidants and I really
>>> should eat it for my health," while the other says, "You know, it
>>> really is green and slimy and I'm too old to have to eat anything I
>>> really don't like."

>> I love spinach, especially in lots of butter.

> mmmmmmspinachmmmmm ;-)

spinach and artichoke dip... MUCH better than it sounds

--
Knowledge is Power
Power Corrupts

Joan Hedman

Mar 21, 2002, 4:51:17 PM3/21/02

"Trouble" <tro...@tekfactory.com> wrote in message

I have a great spinach-crab dip recipe that's even better. Also, barely
steamed with a dressing of sesame oil, rice wine vinegar, and toasted
sesame seeds is another great spinach preparation.

We keep telling the kids that it's OK to change their minds about not
liking certain foods. I don't think they believe us. :)

Joan
http://www.farscapeweekly.com

Erik Browne

Mar 21, 2002, 5:14:00 PM3/21/02
In article <a7dkf5$kf3ur$1...@ID-136898.news.dfncis.de>,

Joan Hedman <jhe...@alum.mit.edu> wrote:

>"Trouble" <tro...@tekfactory.com> wrote in message
>> Thinkum wrote:

>stuff

>> > mmmmmmspinachmmmmm ;-)
>>
>> spinach and artichoke dip... MUCH better than it sounds
>>

>I have a great spinach-crab dip recipe that's even better. Also, barely
>steamed with a dressing of sesame oil, rice wine vinegar, and toasted
>sesame seeds is another great spinach preparation.

Salad of spinach and orange slices, with an orange juice and mayo dressing.
Yum.

John Iwaniszek

Mar 21, 2002, 5:18:24 PM3/21/02
Joan Hedman wrote:

> "Trouble" <tro...@tekfactory.com> wrote in message
>> Thinkum wrote:

> stuff

>> > mmmmmmspinachmmmmm ;-)
>>
>> spinach and artichoke dip... MUCH better than it sounds
>>

> I have a great spinach-crab dip recipe that's even better. Also,
> barely steamed with a dressing of sesame oil, rice wine vinegar, and
> toasted sesame seeds is another great spinach preparation.

I would be tempted to throw in a few whole garlic cloves and hit it with
some black pepper and a pinch of sea salt.

Tom Francis

Mar 21, 2002, 5:20:36 PM3/21/02

"Nick" <ni...@snurcher.com> wrote in message

The issue in question is this. Ms. Swift was Lt. Governor when
Paul Celluci took an appointment to be Ambassador to Canada.
As Lt. Governor, she took over and the crap began from how
horrible she looked carrying twins to her makeup to her hair.
It was horrible.

Nick

Mar 21, 2002, 5:23:21 PM3/21/02
John Iwaniszek wrote:

Sea salt is over-priced, kosher salt does the job just fine.

Trouble

Mar 21, 2002, 5:30:18 PM3/21/02
Nick wrote:

> John Iwaniszek wrote:

>> I would be tempted to throw in a few whole garlic cloves and hit it
>> with some black pepper and a pinch of sea salt.

> Sea salt is over-priced, kosher salt does the job just fine.

This is John, people probably PAY him to take their sea salt
away for them...

Tom Francis

Mar 21, 2002, 6:12:17 PM3/21/02

"Erik Browne" <er...@browne.name> wrote in message

Oh............I like it.

Think I'll try that tomorrow for lunch.

John Iwaniszek

Mar 21, 2002, 6:24:20 PM3/21/02
Erik Browne wrote:

Try a small pile of arugula, thin purple onion slices, orange slices,
avocado (cubed), papaya (also cubed), in a dressing made of lime juice, a
little salt, some papaya seeds, and some pepper.

John Iwaniszek

Mar 21, 2002, 6:25:36 PM3/21/02
Nick wrote:

Mass has had a real run of unelected governors lately.

Tom Francis

Mar 21, 2002, 6:29:57 PM3/21/02

"John Iwaniszek" <Jo...@Iwaniszek.com> wrote in message

I hate avocado and Bermuda onions.

Tom Francis

Mar 21, 2002, 6:30:41 PM3/21/02

"John Iwaniszek" <Jo...@Iwaniszek.com> wrote in message

She was elected.

John Iwaniszek

Mar 21, 2002, 6:44:47 PM3/21/02
Tom Francis wrote:

"Jane Swift became the Governor of Massachusetts on April 10, 2001 when
Governor Paul Cellucci resigned to become the U.S. Ambassador to Canada.
Elected Lieutenant Governor in 1998"

http://www.state.ma.us/gov/gov-bio.htm

Nick

Mar 21, 2002, 6:46:55 PM3/21/02
John Iwaniszek wrote:

He didn't say what she was elected to do.

Tom Francis

Mar 21, 2002, 6:52:05 PM3/21/02

"John Iwaniszek" <Jo...@Iwaniszek.com> wrote in message

You mean they don't elect Lt. Governors in North Carolina?

Damn.

John Iwaniszek

Mar 21, 2002, 7:02:15 PM3/21/02
Tom Francis wrote:

Okay. I'll spell it out for you. She was not elected Governor. she
was appointed when Celluci resigned. Paul Celluci's first term was won
the same way. Actually, the office has been marked more with
resignations and appointments lately than it has with actually elected
governors. Out of the last three terms, only one has been one in an
election.

jayembee

Mar 21, 2002, 7:07:45 PM3/21/02
"Tom Francis" <tom...@earthlink.net> wrote

> What's your stand on cauliflower?

Cauliflower is just albino broccoli.

> Brussels Sprouts?

Brussels Sprouts are perfectly fine...as long as they stay
in Brussels.

-- jayembee

jayembee

Mar 21, 2002, 7:08:28 PM3/21/02
Thinkum <thinku...@snurcher.com> wrote

> So if fish negates broccoli, how do you rationalize
> not liking spinach? ;-)

I'm not Popeye the Sailor Man.

-- jayembee

Tom Francis

Mar 21, 2002, 7:09:17 PM3/21/02

"jayembee" <jerry.b...@eds.com> wrote in message

Communist.............

Tom Francis

Mar 21, 2002, 7:13:16 PM3/21/02

"John Iwaniszek" <Jo...@Iwaniszek.com> wrote in message

~~ sigh ~~

Ok, I give up.

Never mind.

Thinkum

Mar 21, 2002, 7:15:12 PM3/21/02
Tom Francis wrote:
> jayembee wrote
>> Tom Francis wrote

>>> Brussels Sprouts?
>>
>> Brussels Sprouts are perfectly fine...as long as they stay
>> in Brussels.
>
> Communist.............

Nope, he's right on that score. Talk about slimy green vegetables...

Jim Larson

Mar 21, 2002, 7:16:52 PM3/21/02
Thinkum wrote:

> Tom Francis wrote:
>> jayembee wrote
>>> Tom Francis wrote

>>> Brussels Sprouts are perfectly fine...as long as they stay
>>> in Brussels.
>>
>> Communist.............
>
> Nope, he's right on that score. Talk about slimy green vegetables...

I like them. Also broccoli and cauliflower.

--
Jim

Thinkum

Mar 21, 2002, 7:19:56 PM3/21/02

Broccoli and cauliflower are great. Brussels sprouts are evil.

Joan Hedman

Mar 21, 2002, 7:24:53 PM3/21/02

> Tom Francis wrote:
> > jayembee wrote
> >> Tom Francis wrote

> >> Brussels Sprouts are perfectly fine...as long as they stay
> >> in Brussels.
> >
> > Communist.............
>
> Nope, he's right on that score. Talk about slimy green vegetables...

See, if they're slimy, they are not cooked right. They're just like very
tender sweet baby cabbages. They get a bad rap.

Joan
http://www.farscapeweekly.com

Erica Sadun

Mar 21, 2002, 7:30:20 PM3/21/02
In article <Xns91D8989...@130.133.1.4>, John Iwaniszek
<JohnIw...@nc.rr.com> wrote:

> Erik Browne wrote:
> > If the spinach is slimy then it was prepared wrong. It sounds like
> > someone cooked it, which is a sin against spinach.
> >

> Lightly sauteed with whole garlic cloves and pine nuts is also sinful.

* Lightly sauteed with fresh lemon and butter

* Chopped into riccota and made into the center of fresh raviolini

* In a salad, with bits of fruit and a light spicy dressing

* Mixed with parmesean, mozzarella and pine nuts and rolled
into fish fillets, dipped in egg, rolled in bread crumbs
and fried, with a nice white-wine reduction on top

I could continue with the sin, but I think I'll stop here.

-- Erica

--
www.ericasadun.com er...@mindspring.com
iMovie Tricks Book -- Spring 2002

Erica Sadun

Mar 21, 2002, 7:31:40 PM3/21/02
In article <Xns91D8BB329...@130.133.1.4>, John Iwaniszek
<Jo...@Iwaniszek.com> wrote:

> Try a small pile of arugula, thin purple onion slices, orange slices,
> avocado (cubed), papaya (also cubed), in a dressing made of lime juice, a
> little salt, some papaya seeds, and some pepper.

Arugula makes great salad, but you can also fry it lightly in
olive oil with garlic and add it over white pizza.

Nick

Mar 21, 2002, 7:33:08 PM3/21/02
Tom Francis wrote:

He is just being difficult because you tricked him.

John Iwaniszek

Mar 21, 2002, 7:40:57 PM3/21/02
Nick wrote:

excuse me?

Nick

Mar 21, 2002, 7:42:31 PM3/21/02
John Iwaniszek wrote:

I said you were being difficult because he tricked you with the "she was
elected" comment. Because technically she was elected.

John Iwaniszek

Mar 21, 2002, 7:47:38 PM3/21/02
Nick wrote:

Not as Governor. I was pointing out that she was not elected Governor.
She was elected Lt. Governor. Of the last three Governors of
Massachussetts, only one was elected to that office. The rest have been
successions.

Tom Francis

Mar 21, 2002, 7:52:19 PM3/21/02

"John Iwaniszek" <Jo...@Iwaniszek.com> wrote in message

Really - just drop it.

I don't care anymore.

I don't even live in the state.

Forget it.

Nick

Mar 21, 2002, 7:56:25 PM3/21/02
Tom Francis wrote:

Where's the fun in that?

John Iwaniszek

Mar 21, 2002, 7:58:26 PM3/21/02
Nick wrote:

Yeah?

catherine

Mar 21, 2002, 9:08:15 PM3/21/02
Trouble wrote:

> Thinkum wrote:
>
>> Tyler Trafford wrote:

>>> I love spinach, especially in lots of butter.
>
>> mmmmmmspinachmmmmm ;-)
>
> spinach and artichoke dip... MUCH better than it sounds

spinach and artichoke, two of my favorite veggies

--
Look for the ridiculous in everything and you will find it.
-Jules Renard

Nick

Mar 21, 2002, 9:08:57 PM3/21/02
catherine wrote:

My two favorite vegetables are Jim and Tom.

Thinkum

Mar 21, 2002, 9:11:06 PM3/21/02

ba'dum-tish

Jim Larson

Mar 21, 2002, 9:11:26 PM3/21/02
Nick wrote:

<droool> <gibber> Huh?

--
Jim

Tom Francis

Mar 21, 2002, 9:12:12 PM3/21/02

> catherine wrote:
>
> > spinach and artichoke, two of my favorite veggies
>
> My two favorite vegetables are Jim and Tom.

BOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

catherine

Mar 21, 2002, 9:24:29 PM3/21/02
Nick wrote:

I like Jim. Not sure if he's my favorite. Tom = brussel sprouts.

It is loading more messages.