'Emergency!' Kept Focus on Heroism, Not Hedonism

Ubiquitous

Sep 19, 2012, 9:10:44 PM9/19/12
by Harold Hutchison

Not too many sirens sounded when WeTV announced it would be re-running
episodes of "Emergency!" starting this fall.

Yet this is probably the best medical drama out there – even if it's a
tad dated. The show first hit small screens in 1972 and ran until 1977 -
with a series of "Emergency!" TV films stretching the run until 1979.

As a young kid, I used to watch this series in reruns, and it was
arguably the first favorite show I had. Today, "Grey’s Anatomy" is the
big medical drama, following on the heels of "ER." Yet both dramas, as
well as "St. Elsewhere," put the focus on the doctors.

"Emergency!" highlighted the then-new paramedic program – and it had
much of the authenticity that creator Jack Webb (best-known for his
portrayal as Joe Friday in "Dragnet") sought to achieve. The other major
medical dramas were, in essence, soap operas with the medicine in the
background. "Emergency!" inverted that dynamic, and it's a better show
for it.

The series stars were Kevin Tighe as Roy DeSoto and Randolph Mantooth as
Johnny Gage, paramedics who are on the cutting edge. The show followed
their efforts to deal with the many aspects of a paramedic’s job, from
the off beat (one episode featured them helping a woman whose toe was
stuck in the faucet) to the dangerous (major fires).

What is also notable is that there is none of the soap-opera elements
that are in the current medical dramas. In a sense, this allows the
stories to concentrate on the heroes, and the series never hesitates to
show that some of them pay a price for their service.

Even the stars get injured and spend time in the hospital.

The doctors are also portrayed very well by Robert Fuller (Kelly
Brackett), Bobby Troup (Joe Early), Ron Pinkard (Mike Morton) and Julie
London as Dixie McCall. Other than hints of a romance between Dr.
Brackett and Dixie early on, there is none of the melodramatic trappings
seen on modern medical dramas. This actually heightens the show –
portraying the doctors, nurses, paramedics, and firefighters as
professionals and close friends. In the sense of the doctors, that was
true for Fuller, McCall, and Troup in real life.

Another interesting note is that even as Vietnam was winding down, the
series featured a number of characters who were well-adjusted veterans.
McCall had served as a nurse in the Korean War, DeSoto had some service
in the military, and Morton was a Navy veteran (Pinkard was a Navy
Reserve officer who even served as technical advisor to the film
versions of "Hunt for Red October" and "Flight of the Intruder").

While "Magnum, P.I." broke the Vietnam veteran stereotype in a huge
fashion, "Emergency!" was already giving veterans a positive portrayal.

But most notable in this series is the teamwork that is often used to
address the various emergencies. It is never a one-person show – far
from it. There is teamwork to rescue the victims and get them treatment.
They don’t always succeed, but they give it their best efforts and move
on to the next case.

There is none of the one-upsmanship that happens in "Grey’s Anatomy."
One such case was featured in the episode “The Hard Hours” – when Joe
Early ends up needing heart surgery. Brackett’s handling of the matter
is done professionally and with compassion. Yet they still push aside
their concern to handle the emergencies that arise.

"Emergency!" remains a popular medical drama. It still holds its own,
despite being 40 years old – a very impressive feat considering the
subsequent advances in medicine. A reboot that held true to the original
series could be a huge hit. But will Hollywood listen?

--
"Re-electing Obama is like backing The Titanic up and hitting the
iceberg a second time."

anim8rFSK

Sep 20, 2012, 1:12:32 AM9/20/12
In article <k3dqhs$7rj$1...@dont-email.me>,
Ubiquitous <web...@polaris.net> wrote:

> by Harold Hutchison
>
> Not too many sirens sounded when WeTV announced it would be re-running
> episodes of "Emergency!" starting this fall.

I love that no matter WHAT happens to the injured, from being stuck in a
tree to catching the plague from a monkey, the doctors back at Rampart
tell the paramedics to start an IV with Ringer's Lactate and D5W ...

--
"Every time a Kardashian gets a TV show, an angel dies."

Stormin Mormon

Sep 20, 2012, 8:15:41 AM9/20/12
About thirty years after the show debut, I finally read some where on the
internet what TKO stands for. You'd think the doctors had stock in the IV
factories, the way they keep prescribing.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

"anim8rFSK" <anim...@cox.net> wrote in message

Stormin Mormon

Sep 20, 2012, 11:23:49 AM9/20/12
You know, this is very well written. I agree with it. I liked the basic
story line. The new founded paramedic program brings medicine more close to
the people.

I saw a lot of technical problems, but the concept of the show was good. The
characters got to display personality, like Gage and his emotional swings,
and the black doctor who wanted to know what the hippies were on (tick bite,
we find out later).

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

"Ubiquitous" <web...@polaris.net> wrote in message
[...]

Rhino

Sep 20, 2012, 12:14:51 PM9/20/12

"Stormin Mormon" <cayoung61***spam...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> About thirty years after the show debut, I finally read some where on the
> internet what TKO stands for.

Too bad you didn't bother to share that with us.... I'm guessing it's not
"Technical Knout Out" as in boxing?

--
Rhino

Rhino

Sep 20, 2012, 12:16:22 PM9/20/12

"anim8rFSK" <anim...@cox.net> wrote in message
> In article <k3dqhs$7rj$1...@dont-email.me>,
> Ubiquitous <web...@polaris.net> wrote:
>
>> by Harold Hutchison
>>
>> Not too many sirens sounded when WeTV announced it would be re-running
>> episodes of "Emergency!" starting this fall.
>
> I love that no matter WHAT happens to the injured, from being stuck in a
> tree to catching the plague from a monkey, the doctors back at Rampart
> tell the paramedics to start an IV with Ringer's Lactate and D5W ...

I think that's the single biggest factor in why I stopped watching it after
a while; almost every problem had that same solution. It just got boring
seeing that same thing over and over again....

--
Rhino

icebreaker

Sep 20, 2012, 12:41:00 PM9/20/12
"Rhino" <no_offline_c...@example.com> wrote in message
To Keep Open (the IV)

Michael Black

Sep 20, 2012, 12:51:02 PM9/20/12
I thought "TKO" was "Total Knock Out".

Michael

Stormin Mormon

Sep 20, 2012, 6:52:01 PM9/20/12
I agree, it's very sad that I didn't share. Lot of people will be kept
wondering. Some might go so far as to ask.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

Stormin Mormon

Sep 20, 2012, 6:53:38 PM9/20/12
I saw some variety. The D5W sure was useful, though. I used to yell at the
television when they would spray something that's not on fire, and ignore
the fire. One of my yelling moments, was when they would flip open the EKG
and get V-fib, before the wires were hooked to the patient's chest.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

"Rhino" <no_offline_c...@example.com> wrote in message

Michael OConnor

Sep 20, 2012, 10:44:41 PM9/20/12
In the early 70's it was a relatively new field, cutting edge, which
involved taking the job of an Army Medic, who had a lot of medical
knowledge but was not quite an MD but could sew somebody up on the
battlefield if it meant saving their life, but also had rescue skills,
and bringing this occupation into the civilian sector. I would
venture to say that Emergency probably had the most lasting impact of
any of Jack Webb's TV series in the influence it had to get people
interested in the profession; I doubt many kids wanted to be Policemen
after watching Dragnet or Adam 12, but many young people wanted to be
a Paramedic after watching Emergency because it was something
different every day.

Michael Black

Sep 20, 2012, 11:07:39 PM9/20/12
And wasn't there a lot of reluctance initially to the concept of
paramedics? I'm not even sure they are recognized here yet, I know for a
long time people would take the training but not be allowed to do the
"doctoring" that we saw on the show.

Apparently Bobby Sherman (of "Getting Together" fame) was influenced by
the show. Wikipedia says he was a guest star, and that caused him to
change careers and become a paramedic.

Michael

Message has been deleted

Michael OConnor

Sep 21, 2012, 6:41:04 AM9/21/12

> Unlikely. But, honestly, part of me would like to have an updated
> version that holds true to the original. I just have this fear
> Hollywood will turn it into a stupid comedy (see the reboots of
> Starsky & Hutch and 21 Jump Street), ruining the whole charm of the
> show.
>
> /Doc - I still use the fire station tones as my Windows start-up
> sound :)

The problem is if they made the show today, these paramedics would
also be carrying guns, and solving crimes that were involved with the
cases they encountered a la CSI, and before long they would be running
from slow motion large fireballs and engaging in shootouts where their
handguns magically never need reloading as they fire hundreds of
bullets. Or the show would be more focused on the personal lives of
the Paramedics and everybody would be sleeping with one another; one
thing you have to give Jack Webb credit for is that his shows did not
spend much time exploring the personal lives of the lead characters.
I seem to think in most of his shows, the characters were not married
or if they were the wives or husbands were never on screen, presumably
so he didn't have to deal with spouses and could instead focus on
telling the stories. I watched a lot of Dragnet, and I knew virtually
nothing about Joe Friday other than he was a hard boiled cop.
Message has been deleted

Stormin Mormon

Sep 21, 2012, 8:53:46 AM9/21/12
There is a show called Childrens Hospital, UK. The
show looks into hospital, in Manchester, England.
Each episode looks at several children with medical
problems. They deal with a lot of the concerns,
success, compassion, etc.

Another show called Childrens Hospital, is a show
about some medical clothed jerks arguing with each
other, and being miserable.

I'd hate to see a remake of Emergency! and have it
all about failed relationships. There was a similar
show I couldn't watch, was it called "Rescue me"
or something. Really awful.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

"Michael OConnor" <mpoco...@aol.com> wrote in message

anim8rFSK

Sep 21, 2012, 9:28:10 AM9/21/12
In article
<c91d266e-432b-4190...@i14g2000yqo.googlegroups.com>,
I don't think there WAS anything else to know about Joe Friday.

Stormin Mormon

Sep 21, 2012, 9:36:45 AM9/21/12
Here is some more. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FNBuO6eDYc

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

"anim8rFSK" <anim...@cox.net> wrote in message

David Johnston

Sep 21, 2012, 11:21:32 AM9/21/12
On 9/21/2012 4:41 AM, Michael OConnor wrote:

>> Unlikely. But, honestly, part of me would like to have an updated
>> version that holds true to the original. I just have this fear
>> Hollywood will turn it into a stupid comedy (see the reboots of
>> Starsky & Hutch and 21 Jump Street), ruining the whole charm of the
>> show.
>>
>> /Doc - I still use the fire station tones as my Windows start-up
>> sound :)
>
> The problem is if they made the show today, these paramedics would
> also be carrying guns, and solving crimes that were involved with the
> cases they encountered a la CSI,

Of course not. If they made the show today much would be made of how
pretty the protagonists were and they'd give them opportunities to strip
down. Oh and they'd quarrel a lot more.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFozL-IBrV0&feature=relmfu

Stormin Mormon

Sep 21, 2012, 12:38:13 PM9/21/12
Well, that's a stereotype. Wise black guy counsells
a couple angry white men, and provides wisdom.

Next thing you know, Samantha will draw the art
work Darrin needed, while he sleeps off his
quadripple martini.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

"David Johnston" <Da...@block.net> wrote in message

David Johnston

Sep 21, 2012, 1:19:09 PM9/21/12
On 9/21/2012 10:38 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
> Well, that's a stereotype. Wise black guy counsells
> a couple angry white men, and provides wisdom.

Note that this stereotype is paired with the other one. You know the
one. The choleric black boss telling the loose cannon cop to turn in
his badge.

In either case of course (of the stereotype that is, I don't know about
this series), the blackness of the character is secondary to his
bossness in the writing. They stuck a black actor in so they wouldn't
have an all white cast, and he's the boss because the bosses are
secondary characters, not leads.

Stormin Mormon

Sep 21, 2012, 4:58:43 PM9/21/12
Now, that is interesting. Thanks for the
further information.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

"David Johnston" <Da...@block.net> wrote in message

Stormin Mormon

May 5, 2016, 10:19:21 AM5/5/16
On 9/20/2012 12:16 PM, Rhino wrote:

>> I love that no matter WHAT happens to the injured, from being stuck in a
>> tree to catching the plague from a monkey, the doctors back at Rampart
>> tell the paramedics to start an IV with Ringer's Lactate and D5W ...
>>

> I think that's the single biggest factor in why I stopped watching it
> after a while; almost every problem had that same solution. It just got
> boring seeing that same thing over and over again....
>
> --
> Rhino

And defibrillate, 400 watt seconds.
You are so right.

--
.
Christopher A. Young

Stormin Mormon

May 5, 2016, 10:21:58 AM5/5/16
They did have one episode when a Vietnam medic
(character name Ed Marlow?) tried out for the
paramedics. He was determined to do in LA like
he did in Vietnam, and that created a lot of
conflict.

A Friend

May 5, 2016, 4:50:58 PM5/5/16
In article <IDIWy.886$U37...@fx30.iad>, Stormin Mormon
<cayo...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> On 9/20/2012 12:16 PM, Rhino wrote:
> >
> >> I love that no matter WHAT happens to the injured, from being stuck in a
> >> tree to catching the plague from a monkey, the doctors back at Rampart
> >> tell the paramedics to start an IV with Ringer's Lactate and D5W ...
> >>

> > I think that's the single biggest factor in why I stopped watching it
> > after a while; almost every problem had that same solution. It just got
> > boring seeing that same thing over and over again....
> >
> > --
> > Rhino
>
> And defibrillate, 400 watt seconds.
> You are so right.

Yeah, this is an old thread, but it's still worth noting that
EMERGENCY! was one of the few TV series to make a big difference IRL.
When it premiered, few if any EMTs anywhere were allowed to treat
patients, even if they were in cardiac arrest or bleeding out. Crews
were barely allowed to transport patients to hospitals. Because of
that series, laws changed across the country and even at the federal
level, and all of that happened fairly quickly.

Stormin Mormon

May 11, 2016, 8:16:54 AM5/11/16
On 5/5/2016 4:50 PM, A Friend wrote:
> In article <IDIWy.886$U37...@fx30.iad>, Stormin Mormon
>>> I think that's the single biggest factor in why I stopped watching it
>>> after a while; almost every problem had that same solution. It just got
>>> boring seeing that same thing over and over again....
>
> Yeah, this is an old thread, but it's still worth noting that
> EMERGENCY! was one of the few TV series to make a big difference IRL.
> When it premiered, few if any EMTs anywhere were allowed to treat
> patients, even if they were in cardiac arrest or bleeding out. Crews
> were barely allowed to transport patients to hospitals. Because of
> that series, laws changed across the country and even at the federal
> level, and all of that happened fairly quickly.

I'm very pleased to hear that the legislators of
the world lightened up a bit. And gave the EMT
and paramedic guys more responsibility.

lina.u...@gmail.com

Mar 21, 2017, 12:00:13 AM3/21/17