I like Barney

Tony S Annese

Mar 2, 1993, 10:29:00 PM3/2/93
In article <C3AL2...@unix.portal.com> art...@shell.portal.com (Arthur T Hu) writes:
>PS, is my kid odd, or is it normal for a 15 month old to be able to
>point to by name Barney, Snoopy, big Bird, Flounder and the Mermaid
>and Garfield?

My 18 month old can.. I blame it on my 3 year old though.
--
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Tony Annese clae...@shell.portal.com

Peter Aalders

Mar 3, 1993, 7:59:45 AM3/3/93
art...@shell.portal.com (Arthur T Hu) writes:

>Sorry folks, but I can actually stand to be in the same room with my
>15 month old son with Barney.
> [other junk]

Question:- Where you bound and gagged? Or did they just hide all the
objects which would do some serious damage to this hideous
purple T-rex?

--
********************************************************************* ** The Flying Dutchman | e-mail: peter....@dragon.acadiau.ca** **-----------------------------------------------------------------**
**"It is much easier to be critical than to be correct" B. Disraeli** *********************************************************************

Snarfblat

Mar 3, 1993, 2:03:16 PM3/3/93
Arthur T Hu (art...@shell.portal.com) wrote:
: Sorry folks, but I can actually stand to be in the same room with my
: 15 month old son with Barney. I've avoided buying more than one videl
: ($15 for a half-hour is pretty steep compared to Little Mermaid). At
: his age, his favorite videos are the $25 5 minute Tin Toy and Knick KNack
: by Pixar (he loves them and falls to pieces when they stop), Little
^^^^^ this kid has good taste aside from his barney fetish.

Let's see:

tin toy - $25, 5 minutes, incredible Pixar animation, takes years to make.
Grade: A (i love the baby's drool.) high price but worth it.

Little Mermaid - $20, approx 2 hours, good animation, great songs, enjoyable
for kids and adults. simple plot can be followed by kids, but doesn't turn
adults off. Grade: A- great bargain - can be watched ovre and over.

Barney episode: $15, half an hour. takes longer to watch than to produce
because they use many of the same clips from show to show. no plot. the songs
are all based on standard melodies (happy birthday, old macdonald had a farm).
does not have the trans-age appeal of Mermaid or sesame street. it's similar
to Mr. Rogers. By the time my sister was 6 she had figured out that Mr. Rogers
was a fake and nobody in real life is that nice. barney-era kids will soon
learn to hate their fat purple friend. barney's videos are a total rip-off.
if a child can sit through the same barney episode more than 5 times it means
they don't care what they are watching as long as there's some light and sound
coming from the TV. If I was a parent i can't imagine ever letting my kid
watch barney, instead of sesame street.
A) sesame street teches the same things - cooperation, sharing, kindness,
multiculturalism - that barney teaches.
B) Sesame street is more realistic. it takes place in a city environment.
people have problems, ie mister hooper dying, oscar the grouch being an
asshole, telly being neurotic, forgetful jones forgetting. by comparison,
barney's show takes place in an isolated HappyRoom(tm) where people are always
happy and sing songs all day long.
C) Sesame st. teaches reading, math, colors, animals and general safety (don't
go with strangers, look before crossing the street,etc). barney teaches that
dinosaurs are purple and that they exist. other than this, there is no
imaginative stimulation.

<stuff deleted>
: Arthur Hu San Jose
: PS, is my kid odd, or is it normal for a 15 month old to be able to

: point to by name Barney, Snoopy, big Bird, Flounder and the Mermaid
: and Garfield?

<w's and q's deleted>

As long as the kid doesn't think the above characters are actually real, alive,
and living in the TV, it's ok. imagination is an absolutely necessary part of
the mind, but having a deluded sense of reality is dangerous. The child
must either overcome the notion that barney is real and the world is as happy
as he says it is, or he will go insane. I know that when my parents told me
Santa Claus wasn't real, my first thought was "i wonder what else they are
lying about." at 15 months, the child might not see barney as fictitious, and
when someone at school tells him in a few years that barney is just an idiot
in a purple suit, he will become the butt of jokes, an alienated outcast from
society. once a kid gets labelled "weird" he's in for a bunch of cool
psychological malfunctions. trust me. Arthur, it is your personal duty to your
child (as a parent) and to society (as a human) to help kill barney NOW.
i know this has been a long message. thank you for listening.
-Snarf
--
"If I were the moon, I'd be cool" - Pink Floyd

Kevin J. Barth

Mar 3, 1993, 5:45:36 PM3/3/93
In article <C3Bu9...@unix.amherst.edu> mcsp...@unix.amherst.edu (Snarfblat) writes:
>Barney episode: $15, half an hour. takes longer to watch than to produce
>because they use many of the same clips from show to show. no plot. the songs

No Plot? Obviously you haven't watched very carefully. Every show has a theme,
and it isn't real subtle...I know a four-year-old who is regularly mouthing
off with Barney's platitudes...

>are all based on standard melodies (happy birthday, old macdonald had a farm).
>does not have the trans-age appeal of Mermaid or sesame street. it's similar

It's not supposed to. Despite the slogan, "A friend for you and me..." the
show is intended for young children - period. The fact that they make up
new lyrics for new melodies should give you cause for thought - maybe it
stimulates <GASP> imagination? Suggests to the kids that just because there
may be other lyrics to a song it doesn't make them the only ones?

>to Mr. Rogers. By the time my sister was 6 she had figured out that Mr. Rogers
>was a fake and nobody in real life is that nice. barney-era kids will soon
>learn to hate their fat purple friend. barney's videos are a total rip-off.

I am agreed with you here...anyone paying good money for what they could just
as easily (and cheaply) tape off the air needs to have his head examined,
IMHO.

>if a child can sit through the same barney episode more than 5 times it means
>they don't care what they are watching as long as there's some light and sound
>coming from the TV. If I was a parent i can't imagine ever letting my kid

First off, Many people of all ages have favorite programs that they can watch
several times in a row. Look at Star Trek - still on the air several hundred
re-runs later. Many adults like to watch favorite Warner Brothers cartoons
although they have seen them many times before.

But all of this is really secondary, since if you have ever watched a child
watch TV, you would realize that they often only watch for 5 minutes or so,
at which point their attention span wanes and they look for other entertain-
ment, returning 10 minutes later for another period. Thus, the child who
watches the same video repeatedly may simply be seeing certain portions of
it for the first time - a good argument, IMHO, for videotaping the show and
hauling it out when needed...

>watch barney, instead of sesame street.
>A) sesame street teches the same things - cooperation, sharing, kindness,
>multiculturalism - that barney teaches.
>B) Sesame street is more realistic. it takes place in a city environment.
>people have problems, ie mister hooper dying, oscar the grouch being an
>asshole, telly being neurotic, forgetful jones forgetting. by comparison,
>barney's show takes place in an isolated HappyRoom(tm) where people are always
>happy and sing songs all day long.

Barney's show takes place on a school playground, which the children on the
show transform into any of a variety of locales through the power of their
imagination. That is, after all, the point of the show. Further, your
statement that "people are always happy and sing songs all day long" is
simply wrong. Many times the story revolves around one of the children
having a problem - and their friends are able to cheer them up. I dont think
that this is such a horrible message to be sending to kids. Further, the
storyline always plainly occurs after school is out or on a weekend - it
is stated in the script or implied by having the kids coming out of school.

>C) Sesame st. teaches reading, math, colors, animals and general safety (don't
>go with strangers, look before crossing the street,etc). barney teaches that
>dinosaurs are purple and that they exist. other than this, there is no
>imaginative stimulation.

Obviously I am going to disagree with you. The entire point of the program
is to foster imagination. The kids sing songs that they have made up, think
up various activities, and in general be creative. The implication is that
when kids go and play with their friends (assuming that they have some, and
aren't cooped up in front of the TV all day, which is bad regardless of what
they are watching) they will be better able to make believe.

>: Arthur Hu San Jose
>: PS, is my kid odd, or is it normal for a 15 month old to be able to
>: point to by name Barney, Snoopy, big Bird, Flounder and the Mermaid
>: and Garfield?
><w's and q's deleted>
>
>As long as the kid doesn't think the above characters are actually real, alive,
>and living in the TV, it's ok. imagination is an absolutely necessary part of
>the mind, but having a deluded sense of reality is dangerous. The child
>must either overcome the notion that barney is real and the world is as happy
>as he says it is, or he will go insane. I know that when my parents told me
>Santa Claus wasn't real, my first thought was "i wonder what else they are
>lying about." at 15 months, the child might not see barney as fictitious, and
>when someone at school tells him in a few years that barney is just an idiot
>in a purple suit, he will become the butt of jokes, an alienated outcast from
>society. once a kid gets labelled "weird" he's in for a bunch of cool
>psychological malfunctions. trust me. Arthur, it is your personal duty to your
>child (as a parent) and to society (as a human) to help kill barney NOW.

Knock it off with the pop psychology, guy. It sounds better when you know
what you are talking about. Most children believe in something that their
friends eventually don't. While admittedly it can be a trauma if improperly
handled, it is NOT always. By a long stretch. And most children do not
immediately get suspicious of their parents when they find out that theu have
been lied to about Santa Claus or the Easter Bunny. They may be angry for
a while but normally it does not cause long-term problems. Before you start
making claims like this one, you might want to read an elemntry text in Child
Psychology.

>i know this has been a long message. thank you for listening.
>-Snarf

I know this has been a long flame. Thank you for hitting the 'n' key.

-Kevin Barth
ba...@wam.umd.edu

Tony S Annese

Mar 3, 1993, 9:56:46 PM3/3/93
In article <C3Bu9...@unix.amherst.edu> mcsp...@unix.amherst.edu (Snarfblat) writes:
>Barney episode: $15, half an hour. takes longer to watch than to produce
[..]

>A) sesame street teches the same things - cooperation, sharing, kindness,
[..]

>B) Sesame street is more realistic. it takes place in a city environment.
[..]

>C) Sesame st. teaches reading, math, colors, animals and general safety (don't
[..]

>As long as the kid doesn't think the above characters are actually real, alive,
>and living in the TV, it's ok. imagination is an absolutely necessary part of
>the mind, but having a deluded sense of reality is dangerous. The child
>must either overcome the notion that barney is real and the world is as happy
>as he says it is, or he will go insane. I know that when my parents told me
>Santa Claus wasn't real, my first thought was "i wonder what else they are
>lying about." at 15 months, the child might not see barney as fictitious, and
>when someone at school tells him in a few years that barney is just an idiot
>in a purple suit, he will become the butt of jokes, an alienated outcast from
>society. once a kid gets labelled "weird" he's in for a bunch of cool
>psychological malfunctions. trust me. Arthur, it is your personal duty to your
>child (as a parent) and to society (as a human) to help kill barney NOW.
>i know this has been a long message. thank you for listening.

Very good post! Bravo! I will have to send it to the printer to show it to my
wife! I may be able to have a Barney Burning Party after all! One more Sunday
morning sleep interupted by this guy and I'm gonna restrict my kid from
watching it when I am home. I wonder what will happen if I hid all the Barney
tapes my children have, hide all the Barney paraphanalia and everything. I think
they will go through withdrawal or something. Hmmm may be an idea for tonight.

bbi...@crusader.torolab.ibm.com

Mar 3, 1993, 5:08:28 PM3/3/93
I have a kid (6 year old) that watches Barney. I agree that it is a useless
show and that Sesame Street would be a much better choice. I am not home to
actually have figures handy but Im told she watches Sesame Street also. She
thinks Barney is cool, and I think it is just another way for her to past the
time... It Idiot TV.. My wife and I discussed it and decided that if she looks
like she is watching TV just to have some mindless series of picture flash
in front of her then we kick her out of the room and tell her to go play with
her toys. The Kids at school are picking on her a bit because of Barney but
that is part of growing up... One day she will find out that most everything
I tell her is a pack of lies anyway. I think it is a bit much to say that
because a child believes in Barney that the child will have problems later.
I think that it would be better summed up as, 'Keep all automatic weapons
away from children who watched Barney'.

I would like to see some street thugs come in and carve up Barney, though.
That would be a treat. The dull knife blade slowly penetrating Barney's
skin. Cutting, always cutting... Blood everywhere... Did dead little head
lying at his side waiting for the next strike of the knife.

Brad

New Barney song: "I love you, you love me. We're a happy fam-i-ly... You
don't need that other family anymore boys and girls. We have each other
now. That's why we can touch each other like this...

Kevin J. Barth

Mar 4, 1993, 2:57:45 PM3/4/93
In article <C3DL8...@unix.amherst.edu> mcsp...@unix.amherst.edu (Snarfblat) writes:

>you seem to be rather clueless about the point of this group. the point is not
>to say "i hate barney and i hope he dies". The point is to describe, in as
>graphic detail as possible, how we want to kill him. it's called "fun". As you
>said in your e-mail, "this is a free country". There are many people in this
>country, and presumably in other countries as well, who hate barney the
>dinosaur. Do you think we sould be denied a forum in which to discuss our
>beliefs? You seem to...you also seem to believe that your opinion is fact and
>our opinion is falsehood, and you can't seem to see this from our point of

No I don't think you should be denied such a forum...have fun. But I will
be here to provide an opposing viewpoint...

I do, in fact, believe that your opinion is wrong, but I would defend to
the death your right to express it.

Obviously, I don't, and wouldn't try, to see things from your point of view.
It is repulsive.

>view. I'd love to see how you deal with other minorities. I wouldn't go so

I deal with other minorities quite well, thanks. in fact, you don't know
anything about me, so you couldn't possibly know whether or not I might _BE_
one of those "other minorities..."

>far as to call you a closed-minded bigot, I think you are just a slave to
>mass-media and political correctness. If it was PC to hate barney, would you

I also happen to hate Political Correctness...My favorite recent novelty album
is the Capital Steps' version of "You don't bring me flowers..." I spit on
retarded alternative spellings such as "womyn" and "Waitron". If it was PC
to hate Barney, I might even be joining you folks, although I am not enough
of a "slave" (as you put it) to _any_ political dogma to say that anything
that is PC-supported is correct.

>still stand so strongly against us? I doubt it. If it was socially acceptable
>to use racial slurs, would you? I don't know, but based on your treatment of

Nope. As anyone who knows me can tell you. At the same time, to compare
yourself to a honest-to-God minority group, and my messages here to racial
slurs makes me laugh.

>the members of alt.tv.dinosaurs.barney.die.die.die, that seems to be the only
>conclusion I can come to. The only difference between barney-haters and other
>minority groups is that our position is not backed by USA Today and Tipper
>Gore's PC squad.

Cut the crap. You are a bunch of immature assholes who don't have anything
better to do with your time than to ridicule a fictional character and think
of different ways to do him in...You are entitled to your opinion, but I'll
not be supporting of it.

>:
>: Kevin Barth
>: ba...@wam.umd.edu
>:
>Matt Snarfblat

>--
>"If I were the moon, I'd be cool" - Pink Floyd

KJB

Kevin J. Barth

Mar 4, 1993, 3:10:35 PM3/4/93
In article <45141...@linq.com> be...@linq.UUCP (The Beast of Shorts) writes:

>EXACTLY, You Pig-headed dork! Why? BECAUSE THERE **ARE** NO MERITS!!

ahhh...have nothing better to say, so we rehash old arguments, eh? OK...you
lead...

>DO you deny that the show "Barney the [Stupid Fucking] Dinosaur"
>features a talking purple dinosaur? DO you deny that it saccarine and
>filled with pastic joy? (Or maybe this reminds you too much of
>yourself?)

hahahahahahahaha....that's a joke, right? And Sesame Street, so loudly
acclaimed as being a good alternative, features a giant talking yellow
bird, a purple vampire, and an unknown creature who hangs out in trash
cans. Sounds like a good alternative to me...

I assume you meant "plastic joy" - whatever the hell that means.

>Sure we are, you weasly little anus-sucking prick.

My, oh my...isn't that ORIGINAL!

>> - just so long
>> as they can say _that_ they hate it, as often and at as great a length as
>> possible.
>
>I HATE BARNEY THE STUPID FUCKING DINOSAUR!! I HATE BARNEY THE STUPID
>FUCKING DINOSAUR!! I HATE BARNEY THE STUPID FUCKING DINOSAUR!! I
>HATE BARNEY THE STUPID FUCKING DINOSAUR!! I HATE BARNEY THE STUPID
>FUCKING DINOSAUR!! I HATE BARNEY THE STUPID FUCKING DINOSAUR!! I
>HATE BARNEY THE STUPID FUCKING DINOSAUR!! I HATE BARNEY THE STUPID
>FUCKING DINOSAUR!! I HATE BARNEY THE STUPID FUCKING DINOSAUR!! I
>HATE BARNEY THE STUPID FUCKING DINOSAUR!! I HATE BARNEY THE STUPID
>FUCKING DINOSAUR!! I HATE BARNEY THE STUPID FUCKING DINOSAUR!! I
>HATE BARNEY THE STUPID FUCKING DINOSAUR!! I HATE BARNEY THE STUPID
>FUCKING DINOSAUR!! I HATE BARNEY THE STUPID FUCKING DINOSAUR!! I
>HATE BARNEY THE STUPID FUCKING DINOSAUR!! I HATE BARNEY THE STUPID
>FUCKING DINOSAUR!! I HATE BARNEY THE STUPID FUCKING DINOSAUR!! I
>HATE BARNEY THE STUPID FUCKING DINOSAUR!! I HATE BARNEY THE STUPID
>FUCKING DINOSAUR!! I HATE BARNEY THE STUPID FUCKING DINOSAUR!!

Case in point. Although actually you meant to say:

I FUCK BARNEY THE STUPID FUCKING DINOSAUR

>> Go ahead, guys...flame me...I couldn't care less.
>
>God, I'm so FUCKING *GLAD* that I WOULDN'T *HURT* you. I'm REALLY
>*SENSITIVE*.

Have no fear...you don't have anything that could _hurt_ me...

>Now go play with your little toys Kevin.

Oh goody...Shall I play with my Packard Bell or with myself?

KJB

Rachel J. Perkins

Mar 3, 1993, 11:39:04 AM3/3/93
In article <C3AL2...@unix.portal.com> art...@shell.portal.com (Arthur T Hu) writes:
>Sorry folks, but I can actually stand to be in the same room with my
>15 month old son with Barney.

heretic! false prophet!

[whining about cost to time ratio of various innocuous children's videos
deleted]

you must die. the barney hell-spawn has poisoned your brain. prepare to be
relieved of your pointless life.

>PS, is my kid odd, or is it normal for a 15 month old to be able to
>point to by name Barney, Snoopy, big Bird, Flounder and the Mermaid
>and Garfield?

>:wwq
>:wq

your kid is permanently debilitated. barney and co have done a rm -r * on his
brain. and it's all your fault.

oh, and learn to use your editor. i'm sure that's barney's fault as well.

bah.
i am the asciibo!

--
make empty anglo tea lace words + rachel perkins
make them dead white and dry bone bare + rper...@astro.as.arizona.edu

Witold Biedrzycki

Mar 4, 1993, 10:25:35 AM3/4/93

>That would be a treat. The dull knife blade slowly penetrating Barney's
>skin. Cutting, always cutting... Blood everywhere... Did dead little head
>lying at his side waiting for the next strike of the knife.
Sorry, I just don't understand this. I generally don't watch TV but I was
able to few episodes about Barney. Why are you so upset about this? Because
it does not show violence, reality? Well I guess this the nice part of
this. Maybe older children don't like it but I think Barney is fine for
small ones. Do they really have to learn about violence at this age?

Kevin J. Barth

Mar 4, 1993, 11:19:07 AM3/4/93

What you don't understand, Witold, is that this is not a clear and open forum
for discussing the show's merits - indeed for discussing anything remotely
accurate about the show. The brain-dead cretins who started this group
aren't interested in discussing _why_ they hate the show - just so long

as they can say _that_ they hate it, as often and at as great a length as
possible.

Go ahead, guys...flame me...I couldn't care less.

Kevin Barth
ba...@wam.umd.edu

John P. Mechalas

Mar 4, 1993, 11:24:48 AM3/4/93
In article <1993Mar4.1...@galois.mit.edu> len...@tarski.mit.edu (Witold Biedrzycki) writes:

>Sorry, I just don't understand this. I generally don't watch TV but I was
>able to few episodes about Barney. Why are you so upset about this? Because
>it does not show violence, reality? Well I guess this the nice part of
>this. Maybe older children don't like it but I think Barney is fine for
>small ones. Do they really have to learn about violence at this age?

I have a feeling you are taking this Barney business a lot more seriously
than the rest of this group. Try relaxing a little bit.

--
John Mechalas "I'm not an actor, but
mech...@gn.ecn.purdue.edu I play one on TV."

Lynette Cooper

Mar 4, 1993, 5:50:22 PM3/4/93
In misc.kids, bbi...@crusader.torolab.ibm.com writes:
>I have a kid (6 year old) that watches Barney. I agree that it is a useless
>show and that Sesame Street would be a much better choice. I am not home to

A useless show? I don't think so. I can get my daughter to clean up
around the house by singing the songs Barney sings about cleaning up.
I can get her to wear her seatbelt by singing the songs Barney sings
about seatbelt safety. I think the show is perfect for 2 year olds.
Although, I must admit, I am *sick* of watching it :-).

Lynn Cooper

Brad Barton

Mar 4, 1993, 3:40:39 PM3/4/93
In article <1993Mar4.1...@wam.umd.edu> ba...@wam.umd.edu (Kevin J. Barth) writes:
>What you don't understand, Witold, is that this is not a clear and open forum
>for discussing the show's merits - indeed for discussing anything remotely
>accurate about the show. The brain-dead cretins who started this group
>aren't interested in discussing _why_ they hate the show - just so long
>as they can say _that_ they hate it, as often and at as great a length as
>possible.

I beg your pardon, but I have explained why I don't like the show, in
a detailed and rational fashion. I feel the show is condescending and
hypocritical at its best, and I won't talk about it's worst. The show
is full of good intentions, I just don't like the format of the teachings.

>Go ahead, guys...flame me...I couldn't care less.

I'm not flaming you.. there are a lot of morons here that just want an
excuse to kill something, anything. I've ignored them.
--
"The glass is neither half full nor half empty. It's too big"
-- From The Presidential Council on Lower Expectations --

John P. Mechalas

Mar 4, 1993, 4:07:46 PM3/4/93
In article <1993Mar4.1...@wam.umd.edu> ba...@wam.umd.edu (Kevin J. Barth) writes:

>No I don't think you should be denied such a forum...have fun. But I will
>be here to provide an opposing viewpoint...
>
>I do, in fact, believe that your opinion is wrong, but I would defend to
>the death your right to express it.
>
>Obviously, I don't, and wouldn't try, to see things from your point of view.
>It is repulsive.

This is certainly a better argument than you had in your first post, which
was nothing more than ranting and raving and insulting. In fact, it is
a respectable position, and it certainly would be kind of fun to have
some Barney supporters on here, too.

> [ stuff deleted ]

>Cut the crap. You are a bunch of immature assholes who don't have anything
>better to do with your time than to ridicule a fictional character and think
>of different ways to do him in...You are entitled to your opinion, but I'll
>not be supporting of it.

Ah...you blew it here. So much for rational discussion. Apparently,
you have nothing better to do with your time than to follow our opinions
in this forum and insult them. Guess that makes you just as mature as
we are, huh?
Well...I think it's obvious. You are just another flame-baiter,
looking for some fun. And there are plenty of people here who will
be more than happy to help you in your endeavors.
So sit back, relax, and enjoy...

Mona Ellis

Mar 4, 1993, 3:44:44 PM3/4/93
In article <1993Mar3.1...@dragon.acadiau.ca> 851...@dragon.acadiau.ca (Peter Aalders) writes:
>art...@shell.portal.com (Arthur T Hu) writes:
>
>>Sorry folks, but I can actually stand to be in the same room with my
>>15 month old son with Barney.
>> [other junk]
>
>Question:- Where you bound and gagged? Or did they just hide all the
> objects which would do some serious damage to this hideous
> purple T-rex?

I'm sure I'll get lots of sarcastic mail for this. But I think
it's great that my 2 1/2 year old son loves Barney. He also loves
Shamu, Snoopy and Ernie & Bert. I've watched Barney with him and
I can't say he is necessarily learning numbers & letters from the
show. But he does hear alot about seasons and things like that, that
we don't necessarily have in San Diego. I try to expose him to as
much of the world as I can. But there are some things that we as
adults take for granted and forget about. As long as it is in
moderation I see no harm in him watching TV. Of course, that excludes
violence and cussing (which he picks up very fast). As long as I
am there to answer his questions and explain things I don't think
he will be ruined for life.

All too soon he will think Barney, Snoopy, and Ernie & Bert are
stupid and baby stuff. I would reather see him enjoy them while
he is innocent enough to enjoy them. Of course, Shamu will probably
always be his hero.

mona

Sam Drake

Mar 5, 1993, 2:21:34 AM3/5/93
In article <1993Mar3.2...@wam.umd.edu> ba...@wam.umd.edu (Kevin J. Barth) writes:
>In article <C3Bu9...@unix.amherst.edu> mcsp...@unix.amherst.edu (Snarfblat) writes:
>>are all based on standard melodies (happy birthday, old macdonald had a farm).
>>does not have the trans-age appeal of Mermaid or sesame street. it's similar
>
>It's not supposed to. Despite the slogan, "A friend for you and me..." the
>show is intended for young children - period. The fact that they make up
>new lyrics for new melodies should give you cause for thought - maybe it
>stimulates <GASP> imagination? Suggests to the kids that just because there
>may be other lyrics to a song it doesn't make them the only ones?

I fear you have both missed the point about the songs on "Barney". Yes, they
use the same melodies (and sometime lyrics) over and over and over.

No, the Barney folks don't do it because they are clueless.

No, they don't do it to encourage imagination.

They do it because the songs are all in the public domain. No royalties to
pay. (I've never heard "Happy Birthday" on Barney, have you? "Happy
Birthday" is copyrighted, and using it would require that they pay royalties.)

You and I may think they are old and tired ... but my 2.5 year old hadn't
heard them before she found Barney. Good planning on the Barney folks' part.

I've probably watched 30 hours of Barney with my daughter. She loves it.
It teaches her little things she needs to know. She likes to sing the songs.
It's relatively harmless (no commercials). It's gender neutral (something
that neither Sesame Street nor Mr. Rogers can claim; name a significant,
proactive female character in either. Gotcha.)

For the college-age non-parents who like to gag about Barney: just
consider this your first lesson in getting OLD. Your parents think the
movies and music you like suck, too. Your parents like to claim that
"those records" are going to make you stupid or violent. Your parents
think that "real music" had far better production quality than modern stuff.

Sound familiar? Your parents hate things that were produced for your
generation. You now hate things that are produced for the next
generation.

In short: you are now officially DINOSAURS.

Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Jason D Corley

Mar 4, 1993, 9:34:09 PM3/4/93
In article <1993Mar4.1...@galois.mit.edu> len...@tarski.mit.edu (Witold Biedrzycki) writes:

No, we don't want to teach the _kids_ violence. We want to teach that
huge gigantic bulbous phallic purple spotty vacuous glob of spit violence.
I have no problem with the kids who watch the show...they can be cured.
The kids on the show itself...they may be beyond hope. Once they are off
the drugs it may be a long hard road back to relative normalcy, and some
may not make it.

"We can't all be sound. We've got to be the way we're made."---Mark Twain
Jason D. "cor...@gas.uug.arizona.edu" Corley was found dead earlier this
week, but was cloned using terrifying new alien processes invented by Elvis.

J.D.Tilander

Mar 4, 1993, 7:34:32 PM3/4/93
In article <1993Mar3.1...@dragon.acadiau.ca> 851...@dragon.acadiau.ca (Peter Aalders) writes:

I like Barney too...a lot. And Mister Rogers. So torch me...
--
Janet Tilander
Chevron Petroleum Technology Co.

Verfen

Mar 4, 1993, 11:33:07 PM3/4/93
Yuo say we have nothing better to do than flame away on this purple waste of
decent oxygen, but yet you just said you will be around to provide an opposing
viewpoint? Hmmm....you must be a loser, too, huh? Since we're on the opinion
thing, here's mine...you suck.

Find a 30 story building, climb to the top, open a window, plunge to your
death. And take that plush piece of child-molesting PC crap with you.

die

>>:
>>: Kevin Barth
>>: ba...@wam.umd.edu
>>:
>>Matt Snarfblat
>>--
>>"If I were the moon, I'd be cool" - Pink Floyd
>
>KJB

try "KGB"

verfen
"Ray...if somebody asks you if you're a god, you say YES!!"|The end of the
-Ghostbusters |world will be
|on <fnord> in the
"Kill, kill, kill, die, die, die, Hungry Hippos in the |year <fnord>
government, kill, kill, kill, die, die, die." | :)
-damage(d) |

Peter Aalders

Mar 5, 1993, 7:31:24 AM3/5/93
jj...@usho77.hou281.chevron.com (J.D.Tilander) writes:

>In article <1993Mar3.1...@dragon.acadiau.ca> 851...@dragon.acadiau.ca (Peter Aalders) writes:
>>art...@shell.portal.com (Arthur T Hu) writes:
>>
>>>Sorry folks, but I can actually stand to be in the same room with my
>>>15 month old son with Barney.
>>> [other junk]
>>
>>Question:- Where you bound and gagged? Or did they just hide all the
>> objects which would do some serious damage to this hideous
>> purple T-rex?

>I like Barney too...a lot. And Mister Rogers. So torch me...

>--
>Janet Tilander
>Chevron Petroleum Technology Co.
>San Ramon, CA

Hate to tell you this...but I already think that your torched..touched:-)

Just-Another-Barney-Hating-Wanna-Kill-Him-Response!

Aphoriel/Kinsman

Mar 5, 1993, 10:26:01 AM3/5/93
>I've probably watched 30 hours of Barney with my daughter. She loves it.
>It teaches her little things she needs to know. She likes to sing the songs.
>It's relatively harmless (no commercials). It's gender neutral (something
>that neither Sesame Street nor Mr. Rogers can claim; name a significant,
>proactive female character in either. Gotcha.)

Ahem.. it's foolish to say 'Gotcha' right after you pose a challenge on the
Internet, when you consider that people haven't even gotten a chance to
consider and write a response yet.

Who's that new teenage girl (Jennifer?) on Sesame Street? And don't forget
one of those puppets from the Canadian version of the show...

>For the college-age non-parents who like to gag about Barney: just
>consider this your first lesson in getting OLD. Your parents think the
>movies and music you like suck, too. Your parents like to claim that
>"those records" are going to make you stupid or violent. Your parents
>think that "real music" had far better production quality than modern stuff.
>

>Sound familiar? Your parents hate things that were produced for your
>generation. You now hate things that are produced for the next
>generation.

This is stereotypical thinking, which assumes that we and our respective
parents do not think and receive new things as they come by. There are
such things as people who come to like new things as they appear: for one
small example, my dad thought T2 was a blast, and he likes Bob Dylan, too...

Generational or not, we can all tell that Barney is an inane and ugly show
(well, almost all ;).

Barney doesn't look like it was produced for the next generation.. it looks
like the same old saccharine(sp?) thing I was obliged to watch through the
70s and 80s, Romper Room, Care Bears, so on and so forth...

>In short: you are now officially DINOSAURS.
>
>Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

The older generation's getting childish, it seems. Senility, maybe? ;)

Kenneth J. Meltsner

Mar 5, 1993, 11:06:38 AM3/5/93

Look, it's pretty clear the posters that *need* this group fall into
two groups: Parents that are absolutely sick of the hold that purple
lizard has on their children's psyche and people that hate Barney
simply because he is utterly and totally repugnant. I fall into the
former, especially at 6 am when my son demands "Barney tape."

I love the violent demise possibilities for Barney and his crew, but I
draw the line at right-wing whackos and accusations of "PC", various
incarnations of homophobia, and general hatred of children-oriented
TV. Barney isn't "PC", it's sappy drivel designed to be incapable of
challenging or offending preschoolers. Barney isn't pro-homosexual,
since it has absolutely nothing to do with anything as adult as sex.
Some kid-TV is good -- Sesame Street in its new mellower style and Mr.
Rogers are excellent, carefully crafted, and presented at a range of
intellectual levels. Barney is horrid pap that is intentionally
devoid of anything that might hold an adult's interest for more than a
second.

And heaven help us, the kids adore it.

Ken Meltsner | melt...@crd.ge.com (518) 387-6391
GE Research and Development Center | Fax: (518) 387-6474
P.O. Box 8, Room KWD270 | Nothing I say should be attributed
Schenectady, NY 12301 | to my employer, and probably vice-versa
"It's probable, just not very likely." -- Fire Maidens From Outer Space.

Paula Burch

Mar 5, 1993, 11:09:55 AM3/5/93

This cross-posting business has some pretty humorous results, since
practically nobody ever seems to notice that their followup is being
posted to two groups. The folks who post in
"alt.tv.dinosaurs.barney.die.die.die" on this subject seem unaware
that their postings are a little, uh, out-of-place in misc.kids, and
I can only imagine what the "alt.tv.dinosaurs.barney.die.die.die" folks
think when some innocent misc.kids reader posts that s/he actually
likes Barney! :-)

Paula Burch
pbu...@bcm.tmc.edu

Witold Biedrzycki

Mar 5, 1993, 12:24:31 PM3/5/93

>>Sorry, I just don't understand this. I generally don't watch TV but I was
>>able to few episodes about Barney. Why are you so upset about this? Because
>>it does not show violence, reality? Well I guess this the nice part of
>>this. Maybe older children don't like it but I think Barney is fine for
>>small ones. Do they really have to learn about violence at this age?
>
>I have a feeling you are taking this Barney business a lot more seriously
>than the rest of this group. Try relaxing a little bit.

Well I still can't understand it even if I am relaxed. Would all of you
use the same words in front of people as you use them on the net?
BTW don't you remeber being a child and having a friend who lived only
in your imagination?? Is this Barney's capital sin, that he is not real
and pink? Well I am not afraid to tell, I like Barney. I may be tired
if my child watches it 5 times a day, but I would be tired of anything
what I saw so many times.
Monika

E.B. Palmer

Mar 5, 1993, 11:29:05 AM3/5/93

What I want to know is, why don't parents encourage reading rather than
the mindless crap that is on TV, particularly as perpetuated by that
fucking dinosaur. Heaven forbid kids should develop an imagination...

:P

--
Erica | "I co-oped for Kodak and all |
| I developed was this lousy |

Reid Kneeland

Mar 5, 1993, 3:04:02 PM3/5/93
In article <1993Mar5.1...@ultb.isc.rit.edu> ebp...@ultb.isc.rit.edu (E.B. Palmer) writes:

>What I want to know is, why don't parents encourage reading rather than
>the mindless crap that is on TV, particularly as perpetuated by that
>fucking dinosaur. Heaven forbid kids should develop an imagination...

I haven't seen Barney, but I second the sentiment about limiting TV
(like NONE before age 3) and cultivating more creativity in kids. And
more human interaction.

(I have to confess, though, that on the basis of what I've heard, I
think I'd like Barney. But then I'm the guy who cries at "Puff the
Magic Dragon".)

>:P

More like:

8-Q

(Child zombified from excessive video intake.)

Reid Kneeland
re...@tti.com
Transaction Technology Inc., Santa Monica, CA, USA (310) 450-9111 x2499
The opinions expressed above do not necessarily etc etc...

Never trust a man who can count to 1,023 on his fingers.

Ed Chaban

Mar 5, 1993, 9:09:38 AM3/5/93

How about a visit from Joey, Markey & Dee Dee Ramone?

Have 'em teach Barney a new song:

"Sitting here in Queens
Eating refried beans
Taking thorazines
We're a happy family
We're a happy family
We're a happy family
Fam - i - ly!!!"

:-)

David Garrett

Mar 6, 1993, 11:05:02 AM3/6/93
Actually, it's:

"Sitting here in Queens
Eating refried beans

We're in all the magazines
Gulping down Thorazines
We ain't got no friends
Our troubles never end
[I can't remember this line...oh well]
Daddy likes men!"

Gabba Gabba Hey.

Dave

Kevin J. Barth

Mar 6, 1993, 3:22:36 PM3/6/93
In article <C3FzM...@mentor.cc.purdue.edu> smi...@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Lost Boy) writes:
>who showed me the way when I was young...he's also a psychologist and
>can help you get over your Barney addiction.
>
>Try it, pal. Really. Barney Addiction is living a lie.

ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGH!

"Hello Boys and Girls. Welcome to _my_ neighborhood!

Today we are going to learn about deviance! Can you say "deviance?"
It's a nice, important word! Deeee-veeee-ancsssss! Very Good! I knew
you could! Do you know what a deviant is? A deviant is someone who
does things differently than the rest of us...sometimes we have to put a
deviant in jail...or in a special hospital.

This is mr. Butcher. You may know his as the man who killed Barney, that
big purple dinosaur down the street. Mr. Butcher, how did you kill Barney?

B: I slit his throat with a chainsaw and took him apart with a cleaver.

R: And then what did you do?

B: I took out the bones and sold him to Jack-in-the-Box...

Kevin Barth

Kevin J. Barth

Mar 6, 1993, 3:26:22 PM3/6/93

Or even:

I love you...you love me...
'Cause you are...so tasty
(sound of the purple one devouring one of the kids)

kid1: Barney, where did Cindy go?

Barney: She went on a little trip...to learn about nutrition!

Kevin

James Edward Rogers

Mar 6, 1993, 9:27:14 PM3/6/93
>Ahem.. it's foolish to say 'Gotcha' right after you pose a challenge on the
>Internet, when you consider that people haven't even gotten a chance to
>consider and write a response yet.
>
>Who's that new teenage girl (Jennifer?) on Sesame Street? And don't forget
>one of those puppets from the Canadian version of the show...
I've never seen the Canadioan version, but I think the teenager on the
American version is named Gina or something. They've also started to hire
other hig-scholl-age or thereabouts people who act only marginally better
than the kids on Barney. Oh well... However, I like the old episodes of SS
because they would occasionally have little kids on there, but they did
not encourage the kids to try and act. While, on the other hand, if I see
Barney because my 9(!)-year-old sister is watching it, you've have some
kids who are overacting to an embarrassing extent.
Excuse my typing.

As long as I'm sounding off on the aesthetically insulting aspects of the
Barney show, I might mention the song lyrics. And I say here that this
material comes from a lifetime totoal of twenty minutes of actually
watching Barney. The mind boggles. Anyway:

ITEM: A song, to the famous Civil War tune "When Johnny Comes Marching
Home," about ants trying to get out of the rain. I think it had something
to do with counting, but I can't be sure about that.

ITEM: A song, to the tune of "Clementine --"
Solos screeching girl voice: There are seven days, there are seven
days, there are seven days in a week!
Chorus: There are seven days, there are seven days, there are
seven days in a week!
SSGV: Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday!
Chorus: Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday!

And then they REPEAT IT! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH
ITEM: I think their synthesized accompaniment it almost as bad as the lyrics.

ITEM: We've already discussed Barney's voice, but I thought I should
mention it anyway.

ITEM: Has anyone else noticed that Barney appears to have goiter?

ITEM: Barney is a puppet. Therefore He is ALWAYS SMILING. Anyone surprised?

Anyway, those are my most important aesthetic complaints. Can anyone add
to the list?

James Rogers

Involuntary disclaimer coming up. It they knew I was blastig Barney, they
wouldn't do this. Again, I apologize for my typing. I'm in a bit of a hurry.

--
The opinions expressed are not necessarily those of the University of
North Carolina at Chapel Hill, the Campus Office for Information

matthew Reinker

Mar 7, 1993, 7:56:29 AM3/7/93
>In article <1993Mar5.0...@nntpserver.chevron.com> jj...@usho77.hou281.chevron.com (J.D.Tilander) writes:
>>
>>I like Barney too...a lot. And Mister Rogers.
>
>Then there is hope for you. Mr. Rogers is not only a good, caring man

>who showed me the way when I was young...he's also a psychologist and
>can help you get over your Barney addiction.
>
>Try it, pal. Really. Barney Addiction is living a lie.
>

>>--
>>Janet Tilander
>>Chevron Petroleum Technology Co.
>>San Ramon, CA
>

>Lost Boy

Isn't Mister Rogers also a Minister? If so, he would be albe to
excorcise the demon from you. Wouldn't that be grand?

My Ideas and opinions are my own. I don't share.
Any errors you find in grammer or spelling are not mistakes, but ART!

"I'm going slightly mad!" Queen

matthew Reinker

Mar 7, 1993, 8:16:37 AM3/7/93
In article <1993Mar5.1...@ultb.isc.rit.edu> ebp...@ultb.isc.rit.edu (E.B. Palmer) writes:

>What I want to know is, why don't parents encourage reading rather than
>the mindless crap that is on TV, particularly as perpetuated by that
>fucking dinosaur. Heaven forbid kids should develop an imagination...
>
>Erica | "I co-oped for Kodak and all |
> | I developed was this lousy |
>ebp...@ritvax.isc.rit.edu | cold." |
>ebp...@ultb.isc.rit.edu |_______________________________|

Taking a sane no-nonsense approach here. I agree. Reading is an
incredible stimulant for the imagination. When I was a child, I was
diagnosed with the learning disability Dyslexia. Reading was VERY
difficult for me to learn, so I avoided it as much as possible. But, my
teachers kept at me and I so learned to love reading. The books I have
read have done a great deal to shape the way I think and the way I look at
the world. I thank the lord that I can pick up the newspaper and find out
what's happening in the world, pick up a novel and lose myself in another
world, or logon to the net, and read these posts. Reading is a wonderful
incredible gift to give a child. ANY reading should be promoted. Weekly
readers, cereal boxes, street signs, even comic books. Comic books are
especially good for the imagination. Many of these have not only
stimulated my imagination, but my art skills as well. You might think
that the pictures are no better than the T.V. But many times, I've
thought to myself, "Hell, I can draw that better." And then I'll think
about how I can improve it.
Promote the gift of reading, it is pure gold to the mind.

Does Barney promote reading, or is it only a half-hour babysitter?

Tony S Annese

Mar 7, 1993, 1:39:20 PM3/7/93
In article <5MAR1993...@eldyn.gsfc.nasa.gov> gold...@eldyn.gsfc.nasa.gov (Patti Twigg) writes:
>Ok, I admit that Barney is sappy stuff, but frankly, I am happy that
>my kids enjoy watching it. Consider the alternatives - animated
>Batman, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, other programs with violence
>and mayhem. Don't get me wrong, I am not sheltering my kids, but I
>am encouraging them to continue watching programs that show love, and
>caring.

There are many shows on daytime television which are good for a 2-6 year old.
Some of them I like to watch with my kids because they have been around a few
years or they are interesting. Lets look at Nickelodeon's daytime line-up:

8am Looney Tunes (classics may not have any merit but they are classics)
8:30 Heathcliff (at the end of each show there is some tip(usually pet related)
in which they try to convey throughout the whole show)
9am Muppet Babies (excellent in my mind. they make great use of their
imagination. they travel all across the world in their
dreams. they show children how to share and how to act when
they are in big groups of kids)(I watch this one at times)
9:30 David The Gnome (have never seen this one but my wife says it is a nature
based cartoon where David heals animals using herbs and
other things found in the forest [dont think there is any
violence here])

And on and on and on until 5pm with some more of their original shows and some
classics such as looney tunes being shown again and flipper being shown about
3pm. There are many alternatives to Barney. I just wish my mother-in-law would
stop sending all the Barney shit so that I can break my kids from his hold. A
child should not run around all day singing the same song day in and day out.
I have my 3 year old sitting there every day singing it to my 1 month old. She
always looks like she wants to puke when she hears it.

--
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Tony Annese clae...@shell.portal.com
-or- clae...@cup.portal.com
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Tim Premack

Mar 7, 1993, 2:24:15 PM3/7/93
How about that Barney!!!! Ain't he great!!!

And what about Baby Bob? She is so cute!

Today was a great day. Barney was two (I think).

Happy birthday to you, happy birthday to you, happy birthday to
Bar ney,

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6.5 Hours of BARNEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You gotta love it!!!!!!!!!

--
Timothy Premack t...@cam1.gsfc.nasa.gov
NASA/GSFC Code 751

Bill Wisner

Mar 8, 1993, 12:04:54 AM3/8/93
In <21...@coyote.UUCP> dr...@drake.almaden.ibm.com (Sam Drake) writes:
>It's gender neutral (something
>that neither Sesame Street nor Mr. Rogers can claim; name a significant,
>proactive female character in either. Gotcha.)

Name a significant, proactive *human* character in Barney. Gotcha.

w.

Patti Twigg

Mar 8, 1993, 12:32:00 PM3/8/93
*screaming obscenities deleted*

OK, those of you reading this in alt.tv.dinosuars.barney.die.die.die,
please delete the misc.kids newsgroup from the heading. We obviously
have different opinions on this, and this discussion does not belong
in misc.kids.
Thank you.

Jeffrey E. Thompson

Mar 8, 1993, 2:00:24 PM3/8/93
gold...@eldyn.gsfc.nasa.gov (Patti Twigg) writes:

>In article <C3AL2...@unix.portal.com>, art...@shell.portal.com (Arthur T Hu) writes...

>>Sorry folks, but I can actually stand to be in the same room with my

>>15 month old son with Barney. I've avoided buying more than one videl
>> * stuff deleted*

>Ok, I admit that Barney is sappy stuff, but frankly, I am happy that
>my kids enjoy watching it. Consider the alternatives - animated
>Batman, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, other programs with violence
>and mayhem. Don't get me wrong, I am not sheltering my kids, but I
>am encouraging them to continue watching programs that show love, and
>caring.

>Patti Twigg
>st...@lepvax.gsfc.nasa.gov

>*the account I post from is under the name of my supervisor*
>*opinions expressed are mine alone! *

Just so you know, I grew up watching Roadrunner and Coyote cartoons
which are probably the most violent ever, and have no desire to kill anyone
except the bloated, purple, phallic completely nauseating piece of shit
barney.

insert .sig here

Reid Kneeland

Mar 8, 1993, 2:39:15 PM3/8/93

> Just so you know, I grew up watching Roadrunner and Coyote cartoons
>which are probably the most violent ever, and have no desire to kill anyone

Well, the kind of "violence" seen in the Roadrunner cartoons is rather
abstract, far-fetched, and difficult for kids to emulate (unless Acme
Rocket Sleds are easier to come by than I think they are). And Wyle
E. Coyote never succeeded in injuring anyone but himself, which may
constitute something of an anti-violence statement (OK, I admit that's
pushing it).

Watching people (or the TMNTs) beat each other up is a bit different, I
think.

>except the bloated, purple, phallic completely nauseating piece of shit
>barney.

Hey, don't sugar-coat it. Tell us how you REALLY feel!

Brad Barton

Mar 8, 1993, 10:55:16 AM3/8/93
In article <C3Fzz...@mentor.cc.purdue.edu> smi...@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Lost Boy) writes:

>In article <5MAR1993...@eldyn.gsfc.nasa.gov> gold...@eldyn.gsfc.nasa.gov (Patti Twigg) writes:
>>In article <C3AL2...@unix.portal.com>, art...@shell.portal.com (Arthur T Hu) writes...
>>
>>Ok, I admit that Barney is sappy stuff, but frankly, I am happy that
>>my kids enjoy watching it. Consider the alternatives - animated
>>Batman, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, other programs with violence
>>and mayhem. Don't get me wrong, I am not sheltering my kids, but I
>>am encouraging them to continue watching programs that show love, and
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>>caring.
> ^^^^^^
>
>HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!
>You actually believe that BARNEY THE DINOSAUR is written by people who
>CARE AT ALL about kids???? Man, you are NAIVE!

Unfortunately, it started out as caring about kids.. now its only money.
Entertainment Weekly reported this week about a Prime Time TV special,
lucrative record contracts, even richer toy contracts, and a possible
feature film.. yes, you read that right.. Universal Pictures is trying
to get rights...

--
"The glass is neither half full nor half empty. It's too big"
-- From The Presidential Council on Lower Expectations --
Brad Barto...@cmptrc.lonestar.org

The Beast of Shorts

Mar 8, 1993, 4:54:26 PM3/8/93

My GOD man! What are you!?!?! Some kinda sicko?!?!

The Beast of Shorts

Mar 8, 1993, 5:07:13 PM3/8/93
In article <1993Mar7.0...@samba.oit.unc.edu>, James....@launchpad.unc.edu (James Edward Rogers) wrote:
> ITEM: We've already discussed Barney's voice, but I thought I should
> mention it anyway.
>
> ITEM: Has anyone else noticed that Barney appears to have goiter?
>
> ITEM: Barney is a puppet. Therefore He is ALWAYS SMILING. Anyone
> surprised?

Barney is also constantly bouncing around. It is obvious that the
human inside is on massive doses of "happy bouncy" stimulants. I do
not think this is an appropriate message for a children's show.

The Beast of Shorts

Mar 8, 1993, 5:11:01 PM3/8/93
In article <1993Mar7.0...@crd.ge.com>, kass...@rumsey.crd.ge.com (David Kassover) wrote:

> In article <1993Mar7.0...@samba.oit.unc.edu> James....@launchpad.unc.edu (James Edward Rogers) writes:
> >ITEM: Barney is a puppet. Therefore He is ALWAYS SMILING. Anyone
> > surprised?
> >
> Nope, he's showing his teeth. That doesn't necessarily mean what
> you think it does. And maybe Barney isn't a puppet, maybe he's a
> politician.

Maybe he's sexually frustrated?

Call me Al

Mar 8, 1993, 6:17:47 PM3/8/93

Don't kill the messenger. Why do you think "barney" has such nice teeth?
For grazing? He's a carnivore, lest we forget. His little scheme is
to numb our minds into complete passiveness and then gobble us up when
we least expect it. Beware of the purple people eater!

--
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
"If we couldn't Bundy Charles Wist wi...@sde.mdso.vf.ge.com

Jay Elmore

Mar 8, 1993, 7:21:17 PM3/8/93
In article <8MAR1993...@eldyn.gsfc.nasa.gov> gold...@eldyn.gsfc.nasa.gov (Patti Twigg) writes:
>*screaming obscenities deleted*

>OK, those of you reading this in alt.tv.dinosuars.barney.die.die.die,
>please delete the misc.kids newsgroup from the heading. We obviously
>have different opinions on this, and this discussion does not belong
>in misc.kids.
> Thank you.

>Patti Twigg
>st...@lepvax.gsfc.nasa.gov

In other words, "Do as I say, not as I do..."

Jay (=
(Who says and does...note followup)
--
John W. "Jay" Elmore Jr. (= Email: joh...@linfield.edu
"Hey, you notice I don't pull jokes on Rahne. It'd be like mugging a

George M. Berberian

Mar 8, 1993, 9:19:46 PM3/8/93
In article <1993Mar8.2...@knight.vf.ge.com> wi...@sde.mdso.vf.ge.com (Call me Al) writes:
>In article <26542...@linq.com>, be...@linq.UUCP (The Beast of Shorts) writes:
>> In article <1993Mar6.2...@wam.umd.edu>, ba...@wam.umd.edu (Kevin J. Barth) wrote:
>> >
>> > Or even:
>> >
>> > I love you...you love me...
>> > 'Cause you are...so tasty
>> > (sound of the purple one devouring one of the kids)
>> >
>> > kid1: Barney, where did Cindy go?
>> >
>> > Barney: She went on a little trip...to learn about nutrition!

To be quite frank, i never did trust that purple-smoothy. In another
10 years don't be surprised to hear OL Barney has sexual assault
charges pending. I think he's leaky.
Enough Said!!!

Kathy Wilk

Mar 9, 1993, 11:20:15 AM3/9/93
In article <C3Kuw...@cmptrc.lonestar.org>

br...@cmptrc.lonestar.org (Brad Barton) writes:

>>You actually believe that BARNEY THE DINOSAUR is written by people who
>>CARE AT ALL about kids???? Man, you are NAIVE!
>
>Unfortunately, it started out as caring about kids.. now its only money.
>Entertainment Weekly reported this week about a Prime Time TV special,
>lucrative record contracts, even richer toy contracts, and a possible
>feature film.. yes, you read that right.. Universal Pictures is trying
>to get rights...
>
>--

...Shades of Sesame Street!

K. Wilk
M18...@MBVM.MITRE.ORG

<--********************************-->
'Thrusting my nose firmly between his teeth, I threw him to the ground
on top of me.' - Mark Twain
<--********************************-->

Arthur T Hu

Mar 10, 1993, 5:37:11 PM3/10/93
Not exactly, evidently the guy who originally came up with the closing song
turned on the TV, and found out that Barney had adopted it. Supposedly
the Barney people figured out some way to make him happy and it's OK now.

BTW, if you make a device that plays "Happy Birthday", somebody owns the
rights to the song, though you can sing it all you want for your own use.

(!@#$% killjoys...)

La Mort

Mar 11, 1993, 9:43:18 PM3/11/93
In article <tim.731532255@cam2>, t...@cam2.gsfc.nasa.gov (Tim Premack) writes:
>How about that Barney!!!! Ain't he great!!!

He's evil!!! EVIL!!! AND purple!

>And what about Baby Bob? She is so cute!

j.r. bOB dOBBS IS BREEDING?!?! Cool!

>Today was a great day. Barney was two (I think).

Let's sing a little SONG, Kids!!!

>Happy birthday to you, happy birthday to you, happy birthday to
>Bar ney,
>
>HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No, no NO!!! (Barney whacks kids with a weed-whacker and enjoys the sniveling
and pants-wetting.) THIS is how it's supposed to go!!!

(To the tune of, "Rowing song of the Vikings)
(CHORUS)

HAPPY BIRTHDAY! (UUH!) HAPPY BIRTHDAY (UuH!)

Desolation and despair,
People dying everywhere, (chorus)

May the cities in your wake,
Burn like candles on your cake, (chorus)

Hear the women wail and weep,
Kill them all, BUT SAVE THE SHEEP!!! (chorus)

we love children, yes we do,
Baked or Broiled or in a stew, (chorus)

watch the yuppies scream and shout,
turn their stomachs inside out, (chorus)

Raise your hammer, draw your sword,
let's just conquer every fjord, (Chorus)

Vikings have so much to learn,
First you PILLAGE, THEN you burn!!! (chorus)

Now you've reached the age you are,
Your demise cannot be far. (Chorus.)

"Now isn't that better, kids??? Now we'll have some fun!!! Any of you
ever seen the trick where the lion tamer puts his head in the Dinosaur's
mouth?"

La Mort.
Can't abide a non-deviant Happy B-day
song!

Douglas Fowler

Mar 11, 1993, 10:41:20 PM3/11/93

Now look, people; what you do in your own little "alt" world is fine
with me - after all, people who use outlets like this don't hold things
in until the dam bursts, and thus may be more sane than some who never let
emotions show.
However, as I e-mailed one person before (and would have posted if my
server hadn't been in timeout :-), misc.kids seems to be hardly the place
to be conducting the cruel, vicious, and seething attacks on Barney that you
people do. I'll admit, sometimes it's hard to pay attention to newsgroup
headers - I often don't myself. However, this is my one and only notice
to you all - this is cross posting to misc.kids, and you should eliminate
it. How? By using your editor to delete the newsgroup misc.kids in the
header. For those on misc.kids - I imagine you can keep the discussion going
on both, but some of these people like to let their imaginations get a little
crazy, so maybe it's better if you eliminate the other newsgroup from the
header.
For those who dislike the sugary-sweet nature of Barney, you'll be singing
a different tune when your 2.5YO uses a tune he/she has heard and starts
singing: "I love you Daddy/Mommy." Your hearts will melt, and you'll wonder
why you ever thought it was so bad.
(And just remember - you don't expect your 3YO to love your favorite
rock/country song, so have a little respect for his/her choice of music,
characters, etc.
--
Doug Fowler: dx...@po.CWRU.edu : Me, age 4 & now: "Mommys and Daddys & other
Ever wonder if, after Casey : relatives have to give lots of hugs & love

Jay Elmore

Mar 12, 1993, 12:20:17 AM3/12/93
In article <1np0p0...@usenet.INS.CWRU.Edu> dx...@po.CWRU.Edu (Douglas Fowler) writes:

>I'll admit, sometimes it's hard to pay attention to newsgroup headers - I
often don't myself. However, this is my one and only notice
>to you all - this is cross posting to misc.kids, and you should eliminate
>it. How? By using your editor to delete the newsgroup misc.kids in the
>header. For those on misc.kids - I imagine you can keep the discussion going
>on both, but some of these people like to let their imaginations get a little
>crazy, so maybe it's better if you eliminate the other newsgroup from the
>header.

Hmmm... my message doesn't seem to be getting through to these "do as I
say, not as I do" people, but I'm going to be as blunt as possible.

WHY THE FUCK DON'T YOU TAKE THE TIME TO SET THE GODDAMN FOLLOWUP LINE
YOURSELF?

How can someone be either:

a) so arrogant as to demand other people to set followups accordingly, but
no do so him/herself, or

b) so ignorant as to be able to post on Usenet and not know something
about the message headers?

I laugh heartily every time I see one of these messages--rarely does
someone wear their hypocrisy like a badge.

Followup set to misc.kids. You people can deal with him...

Jay (=
(The quote "The only difference between genius and stupidity is that genius
has its limits" keeps running through my mind...)

--
John W. "Jay" Elmore Jr. (= Email: joh...@linfield.edu

"My cousin stormed the Maestro's fortress and all I got
was this flarking T-Shirt!" --from FUTURE IMPERFECT #2
***keep circulating the tapes***

Galen F Gawboy

Mar 12, 1993, 12:50:54 AM3/12/93

Why don't you follow your own #@$%ing "advice"?

> [ Assorted other comments which have no place in the high quality
> alt.tv.dinosaurs.barney.die.die.die news group deleted. ]

Do you believe that its ok to post your propaganda in our group while
denying us the opportunity to discuss the optimal procedure for ridding
the air-waves of the false prophet known as Barney in yours? Barney videos
are extremely expensive, and of low quality. I have had to endure weeks
of my daughter screaming at me to buy them. I should note that she has
NEVER thrown temper tantrums until she saw this awful show. Incidentally
we are not the types of parents who give their kids every material
thing which they ask for, so this behavior is attributable to the
horrible show. FYI we are also not the types of parents which give
in to temper tantrums either.

BTW the readers of misc.kids can thank Douglas Fowler
for the appearance of this bit of alt.tv.dinosaurs.barney.die.die.die
propaganda.

Since this is being cross posted because Douglas did not edit the
news group header, I will defer discussion of issues of relevance
to the altruistic readers of alt.tv.dinosaurs.barney.die.die.die.
I offer my sincere apologies to the readers of
alt.tv.dinosaurs.barney.die.die.die and would like to point out to
Douglas that I would have not bothered to send this along to misc.kids
if he had followed his own #@$%ing "advice".

Galen "I hate inappropriate cross postings too" Gawboy

.sigs are for management stoolies.

Clare Chu

Mar 12, 1993, 9:48:18 AM3/12/93
In article <1993Mar12.0...@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu> gga...@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu (Galen F Gawboy) writes:
>In article <1np0p0...@usenet.INS.CWRU.Edu> dx...@po.CWRU.Edu (Douglas Fowler) writes:
>>
>> However, this is my one and only notice
>>to you all - this is cross posting to misc.kids, and you should eliminate
>>it. How? By using your editor to delete the newsgroup misc.kids in the
>>header.

Hey I learned a lot about this topic because of the cross-posting to misc.kids.
I didn't even know that there was a group called alt.tv.dinosaurs.barney.die.die.die
until the crosspostings. I think it's good for people to express different
points of view. I used to think Barney was just this harmless TV show
that rubbed me the wrong way. In other words, I didn't like it but didn't
know why. After reading how others felt, I was able to solidify my own
feelings and define to myself what exactly my uneasiness was. It turns
out I was uneasy with Barney because of the "fakeyness" of the kids
in the show. I mean how many kids to you know go around talking with
their heads swaying from side to side. And all of the kids on the show
act in the same fakey manner. It's like they had classes to sway their
heads in exactly that way. There is too much singing in unison (just
like the Hitler Youth Corps), and things just don't seem natural on
that show.

I much much prefer Gloria Estafan any day on Sesame Street singing
and dancing that that flat purple blob with the saccharine grin.

> Why don't you follow your own #@$%ing "advice"?
>

>> [ Assorted other comments which have no place in the high quality
>> alt.tv.dinosaurs.barney.die.die.die news group deleted. ]
>>

> Do you believe that its ok to post your propaganda in our group while
>denying us the opportunity to discuss the optimal procedure for ridding
>the air-waves of the false prophet known as Barney in yours? Barney videos
>are extremely expensive, and of low quality.

And we have new innocent parents asking questions about how much a baby
costs, including diapers, Barney videos, and Barney dolls. So we must
let them know before it's too late!

>I have had to endure weeks
>of my daughter screaming at me to buy them. I should note that she has
>NEVER thrown temper tantrums until she saw this awful show. Incidentally
>we are not the types of parents who give their kids every material
>thing which they ask for, so this behavior is attributable to the
>horrible show. FYI we are also not the types of parents which give
>in to temper tantrums either.

Fortunately my son has forgotten about Barney. But just for that one
hour of Barnathon, he pouted and whined for Barney, and he NEVER
pouts and whines. He either throws a tantrum or he asks in a happy
tone. But the sad face and pouting and whining. I think Barnathon
ruined last Sunday for him. He was moping around all day, and very
out of character. I'm glad he's back to his normal self playing with
his cars, trucks, buses, and blocks.

> BTW the readers of misc.kids can thank Douglas Fowler
>for the appearance of this bit of alt.tv.dinosaurs.barney.die.die.die
>propaganda.

Besides some sites do not get the "alt" hierarchy. So this is the
only way we can hear about these things. It's good to know that
there are other parents out there that hate Barney. I talked with
people at work and most said that they didn't like Barney but
thought it was harmless...

James Davies

Mar 12, 1993, 10:20:09 AM3/12/93
>> [ Assorted other comments which have no place in the high quality
>> alt.tv.dinosaurs.barney.die.die.die news group deleted. ]
>
> Do you believe that its ok to post your propaganda in our group while
>denying us the opportunity to discuss the optimal procedure for ridding
>the air-waves of the false prophet known as Barney in yours?

OK, this is a call for suggestions on the most effective way to
destroy Barney. Would dynamite be sufficient, or does this justify
the use of tactical nuclear weapons? And what about The Family Circus?

ROY SEIVWRIGHT

Mar 12, 1993, 3:03:50 PM3/12/93
In article <1ngus2$6...@bigboote.WPI.EDU>, hun...@buckaroo.WPI.EDU (George M. Berberian) writes...
Well as matter of a fact, did anybody hear about the child molestering Barney
scam in NYC?
Roy Seivwright
seivw...@evax12.eng.fsu.edu

King Boy B

Mar 12, 1993, 5:19:25 PM3/12/93

>Well as matter of a fact, did anybody hear about the child molestering Barney
>scam in NYC?

No, tell us.

And as for parents who *like* Barney:
If/when I have a child (I'm only 19; it'll be a while), I would much rather raise them on a show like Mister Rogers, which, besides having plenty of
educational value, has remained pretty much free of the Lu$t for Ca$h that
permeates most children's TV enterprise. Sesame Street, I'll admit, is more
merchandised, but it also had IMAGINATION, which is more than I can say for
_Barney and his friends_. Sure, Barney's whole existence is spozedly based on
"imagination," but you wouldn't know it hearing the songs. Listen to Barney's
songs, all the insipid lyrics set to classic melodies(you can give me Joe
Raposo and a slew of musical guests of all persuasions and old day), and the
bad acting, as has been gone over may times before in alt.slack and elsewhere,
and tell me the people responsible for this series, or for that matter,
"Camp Candy," or "Captain N--The Game Master," or just about any stupid kids
show you can think of, really care about children. If you want quality
programming for little kids, try Sesame Street, or Beakman's World
(see alt.tv.beakmans_world), or NBC's saturday morning "Name Your Adventure"
(a little old, maybe, but they're bound to pick something up).
The worst aspect of Barney is the money. Barney's creators have
acknowledged that he was born to be sold, that he changed from teddy bear to
dinosaur because dinosaurs seemed to be more popular.
Now nearly every aspect of Barney, including the rights for a
prime-time special on another network, is up for sale. And don't even tell me
there is any purpose for this "Baby Bop" character than as another stuffed
doll for your daughter/son, like my little sister, to complain about not
getting after all her presents are unwrapped. Yeah, maybe your kids sing
"I Love You," but your wallet hates the Spam outta you...
In the (perhaps somewhat paraphrased) words of Matt Groening,
"Saturday Morning TV is the best proof that adults hate kids." I go after
Barney becuase he and his marketing-hooker creators are the most obvious
targets. I'd give my kids "Jeopardy!" and MASH reruns over that swill anyday,
because I believe they'd pick up something useful and realistic.

Comments welcomed and flames laughed at at the address below.
--
Britain Woodman
bwoo...@emunix.emich.edu

pesa...@ulkyvx.louisville.edu

Mar 12, 1993, 7:18:32 PM3/12/93
> For those who dislike the sugary-sweet nature of Barney, you'll be singing
> a different tune when your 2.5YO uses a tune he/she has heard and starts
> singing: "I love you Daddy/Mommy." Your hearts will melt, and you'll wonder
> why you ever thought it was so bad.
> (And just remember - you don't expect your 3YO to love your favorite
> rock/country song, so have a little respect for his/her choice of music,
> characters, etc.
> --
> Doug Fowler: dx...@po.CWRU.edu : Me, age 4 & now: "Mommys and Daddys & other
> Ever wonder if, after Casey : relatives have to give lots of hugs & love
> missed the 3rd strike in the poem: & support, 'cause Heaven is just a great
> he ran to first and made it? : big hug that lasts forever and ever!!!"

Hey!!! My kid listens to death metal just like me. She flings her spaghetti
around and says: "Daddy's brains!"

Amy L. O'Toole

Mar 13, 1993, 2:28:22 PM3/13/93

In a previous article, jr...@craycos.com (James Davies) says:

>OK, this is a call for suggestions on the most effective way to
>destroy Barney. Would dynamite be sufficient, or does this justify
>the use of tactical nuclear weapons? And what about The Family Circus?

<My plan, aired this afternoon, on local radio, is to box up than big
purple pile of Velcro, ship him down to Waco, Texas, and have him attempt to
walk, unprotected, into the David Koresch compound, singing the "I
love you" song, amplified via wireless mike.

The resultant conflagration should prove effective in destroying this
harbinger of Milton-Bradley's impending world mindcontrol.

The next challenge: Pre-empting the reruns...

nagae...@gmail.com

Jul 13, 2015, 6:40:08 PM7/13/15
Well, Britain, Captain N was made for kids that were "MEGA HIGH"!