Why does Hope Look so Different Today?

Rick

Nov 20, 2015, 8:30:56 PM11/20/15
Of al the characters that have been on the show for a long time, say 20
years or more, and have been played by the same actor, I feel Hope has
changed the most in physical appearance. If I hadn't been watching the show
for so long, I would probably not be able to tell that the young Hope in
those flashbacks today was played by the same actress. I don't get that
same feeling with any other long-time cast member. I know Kristian was
quite young when she began the role, but so was Ali Sweeney, and she hasn't
really changed all that much. Even Christy Clark, who began playing Carrie
as a 13 year old, is recognizable in flashbacks compared to her appearance
as an adult.

Everyone else who has been in the same role for a long time - Jennifer,
Julie, Doug, Victor, Sami, Andre, Stefano, Patch, Kayla, Adrienne, Justin,
Kimberly when she is on, Carolyn - is easily recognized in flashbacks.
Marlena (who is rumored to have had a lot of plastic surgery) looks
virtually unchanged. But for some reason, the young Kristian Alfonso looks
really different from the middle-aged version we see today. I know
Kristian went through a phase where she lost a lot of weight, but it's not
like the young Hope was overweight. Why does she look so different today?

Can someone explain to me why this is? I don't really get it.

suzeeq

Nov 20, 2015, 8:42:04 PM11/20/15
Kristian really was a bit chubby then, mostly in the face, so the weight
loss (some have said it was too drastic) may be part of it. One of
wedding scenes, which may have been in the late 80s or 90s, she looked
pretty much like she does now. Her voice has changed a lot, it was
babyish when she was first on. I've heard she smokes a lot, so that has
probably deepened it a lot over the years.

Cee

Nov 20, 2015, 8:59:13 PM11/20/15
I kind of alluded to this in another thread here. I am one who thinks Kristian got much too thin, emancipated even. She's not as bad right now as she was a couple years ago though. I thought the fuller, almost chubby face was more attractive. I do realize there's a great age difference though.

Rick

Nov 20, 2015, 9:52:39 PM11/20/15
"Cee" wrote in message
But would weight loss really change one's face that much? Julie's weight is
a lot different today in the other direction (heavier today) than she was 30
or 40 years ago, but her face is unchanged. Maggie is another one who is
easily recognizable from 40+ years ago, even though she has most likely put
on weight. And as I said, it's not like young Hope was really overweight
or fat. Kristian actually looks and sounds like a totally different person
today. Maybe you're right that the smoking has a lot to do with it.

suzeeq

Nov 20, 2015, 11:50:36 PM11/20/15
Some people do show their weight in their faces, others don't. It's
possible too she had some of it removed long ago.

olga.d...@gmail.com

Jul 24, 2018, 1:55:19 PM7/24/18
I haven't watched Days, in years. Kristen Alfonzo really looks like she's had something done to her face. I had to really look at her to make sure it was her before anybody said her name. Wow

Rick

Jul 24, 2018, 2:15:20 PM7/24/18
wrote in message

>I haven't watched Days, in years. Kristen Alfonzo really looks like she's
>had something done to her face. I had to really look at her to make sure it
>was her before anybody said her name. Wow

I have also noticed this and commented on it. Of all the people on Days who
have been on for multiple decades, I think Hope has changed the most in
appearance and is the most unrecognizable from when she first joined the
cast. All of the others who have been on this long - Marlena, John,
Victor, Julie, Doug, etc. - still look pretty much the same facially, but
Hope looks like a completely different person. Even Christie Clark, who
first appeared on the show at age 13 as Carrie and is now in her mid-40s,
looks about the same facially today. I'm not totally sure why Kristian as
Hope looks so different now, but it could be related to the fact that the
actress apparently lost a lot of weight over the years, and it's maybe most
obvious in her face. If there's more to it than that, I don't know.

suzeeq

Jul 24, 2018, 4:55:59 PM7/24/18
The hairstyle she's wearing today doesn't help either. It makes her face
look even longer and thinner and out of proportion.

geris...@gmail.com

Feb 9, 2019, 12:33:17 AM2/9/19
Hope's neck looks like she has had something very serious done to it...disfigured even. I know a girl is allowed to lie about certain things about herself but ..dang girl fess up and let us lifetime fans know what makes you look so "not so fancy"

Rick

Feb 9, 2019, 9:19:10 AM2/9/19
wrote in message
This is apparently a response to a thread I started back in 2015. I
remember wondering back then why alone of all the cast members who have been
on the show for 30 years plus, Kristian as Hope looks so different today. I
think I have since concluded that it's mainly just part of the aging
process. Some people just look a lot different as they get older, and we
probably should just let it go at that.

If your newsreader has deleted the full thread (as mine did), here it is:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/alt.tv.days-of-our-lives/eWSB6ivVxpU

debsv...@gmail.com

Apr 25, 2019, 5:04:08 PM4/25/19
She is 55 now. She is covering under eye dark circles with light cream which makes the distance between her eyes/nose/cheeks look wider. Also, the tip of her nose has dropped (normal aging) which also enhances the perception of distance. Her neck has lost fat (again, normal aging) and causes that hollow look along with "cording" muscles now showing. A good make-up artist abd lighting could hide some if this. A nose tip lift and fat injections could really change things. She is just aging.

Koko

Apr 26, 2019, 12:48:16 PM4/26/19
On Thursday, April 25, 2019 at 5:04:08 PM UTC-4, debsv...@gmail.com wrote:
> She is 55 now. She is covering under eye dark circles with light cream which makes the distance between her eyes/nose/cheeks look wider. Also, the tip of her nose has dropped (normal aging) which also enhances the perception of distance. Her neck has lost fat (again, normal aging) and causes that hollow look along with "cording" muscles now showing. A good make-up artist abd lighting could hide some if this. A nose tip lift and fat injections could really change things. She is just aging.

I for one is grateful that she doesn't seem to use Botox too much or maybe she has a better Doctor than Marlena.
Just one silly aside---> if Hope would have a child with this Ted guy, it would have the longest face in the history of mankind. LOL.
They are both extremely good looking people, but have such long faces.

Renate

Koko

Apr 26, 2019, 12:48:22 PM4/26/19
On Thursday, April 25, 2019 at 5:04:08 PM UTC-4, debsv...@gmail.com wrote:
> She is 55 now. She is covering under eye dark circles with light cream which makes the distance between her eyes/nose/cheeks look wider. Also, the tip of her nose has dropped (normal aging) which also enhances the perception of distance. Her neck has lost fat (again, normal aging) and causes that hollow look along with "cording" muscles now showing. A good make-up artist abd lighting could hide some if this. A nose tip lift and fat injections could really change things. She is just aging.

Rick

Apr 26, 2019, 2:24:05 PM4/26/19
"Koko" wrote in message
That's what's so weird about the way Hope's face has changed. I don't
remember young Hope having a long face. To me, the young Hope had a much
more round-ish size face.

Check this out:

https://tinyurl.com/yxjdvx4e

Versus:

https://tinyurl.com/y6rgludx

If I didn't actually remember looking like that, I would never have guessed
these are pictures of the same person.

suzeeq

Apr 26, 2019, 3:18:07 PM4/26/19
On 4/26/2019 11:23 AM, Rick wrote:
> "Koko" wrote in message
>>
>> On Thursday, April 25, 2019 at 5:04:08 PM UTC-4, debsv...@gmail.com wrote:
>>> She is 55 now. She is covering under eye dark circles with light cream
>>> which makes the distance between her eyes/nose/cheeks look wider. Also,
>>> the tip of her nose has dropped (normal aging) which also enhances the
>>> perception of distance. Her neck has lost fat (again, normal aging) and
>>> causes that hollow look along with "cording" muscles now showing. A good
>>> make-up artist abd lighting could hide some if this. A nose tip lift and
>>> fat injections could really change things. She is just aging.
>>
>> I for one is grateful that she doesn't seem to use Botox too much or maybe
>> she has a better Doctor than Marlena.
>> Just one silly aside---> if Hope would have a child with this Ted guy, it
>> would have the longest face in the history of mankind. LOL.
>> They are both extremely good looking people, but have such long faces.
>>
>> Renate
>
> That's what's so weird about the way Hope's face has changed. I don't
> remember young Hope having a long face. To me, the young Hope had a much
> more round-ish size face.

Yes, mostly because she was younger, but also wasn't nearly as thin as
she is today.

> Check this out:
>
> https://tinyurl.com/yxjdvx4e
>
> Versus:
>
> https://tinyurl.com/y6rgludx
>
> If I didn't actually remember looking like that, I would never have guessed
> these are pictures of the same person.

I've heard she's a heavy smoker, that can also change the skin, and
probably the muscles in the face, giving a person a very different look.

Chase

Apr 26, 2019, 10:47:00 PM4/26/19
Having had a much fuller head of hair might be
part of the reason for the major change in looks
in addition to lots of weight loss, but I
sure see what you mean, Rick. (Chase)

jami...@usd428.net

Sep 23, 2019, 1:53:01 PM9/23/19
I didnt recognize her!

WARNING:
All e-mail sent to and from this address will be received, scanned or

otherwise recorded by the USD 428 e-mail system and is
subject to archival,
monitoring or review by, and/or disclosure to, someone other than the
recipient.

lvls1...@gmail.com

Sep 26, 2019, 4:52:24 PM9/26/19

Clearly dol cast had a botox party and the makeup artist needs to go. The eyebrows ie Jordan's today looks terrible

j_tri...@hotmail.com

Sep 30, 2019, 5:44:26 PM9/30/19
She had to have had a facelift you can see it in her cheeks they don’t move. Same as Kate. Their upper lip don’t move either.

Rick

Sep 30, 2019, 8:45:54 PM9/30/19
wrote in message

>She had to have had a facelift you can see it in her cheeks they don’t
>move. Same as Kate. Their upper lip don’t move either.

But you would think the point of a facelift would be to make you look the
way you did when you were younger - or, at minimum, to just make you look
younger than your present age. Neither really applies to Kristian Alfonso.
She does not look the way she did when she was younger, and it's hard to
argue that she looks much younger than her current age, which is 56.

moo...@gmail.com

Jun 4, 2020, 1:16:48 PM6/4/20
She seems to have a square jaw then when younger. Definitely something different

Rick

Jun 4, 2020, 1:37:31 PM6/4/20
wrote in message

>She seems to have a square jaw then when younger. Definitely something
>different

We've actually talked about this multiple times in this newsgroup over the
years. If you do a search on the topic, you can view some earlier threads.
I've made the point more than once that of all the performers who have
appeared on the show over several decades, Kristian Alfonso as Hope has
changed in appearance the most. When you see episodes from the 70s and 80s
and you view younger versions of Marlena, Maggie, Julie, Doug, Victor,
Jennifer, Jack and others, it's easy to pick them out. But when you see
Kristian Alfonso as the younger Hope from the 80s, she really does look very
different.

I think the biggest factor is that Kristian lost a lot of weight over the
years and it really caused her face to thin out. There's also the fact
that some people just change a lot in appearance as a function of aging.

suzeeq

Jun 4, 2020, 2:33:58 PM6/4/20
She had a roundish face to begin with, so losing weight would have made
her facial bones more prominent.

Deborah Hackley

Oct 11, 2020, 9:45:56 PM10/11/20
I feel like the plastic surgery has made her look much older. The overly enhanced cheeks are off-putting as is all of the Botox. She would still be a gorgeous woman if she hadn’t gone so overboard.

Rick

Oct 12, 2020, 9:42:28 AM10/12/20
"Deborah Hackley" wrote in message

>I feel like the plastic surgery has made her look much older. The overly
>enhanced cheeks are off-putting as is all of the Botox. She would still be
>a gorgeous woman if she hadn’t gone so overboard.
>On Friday, April 26, 2019 at 2:24:05 PM UTC-4, Rick wrote:

I don't have a problem with how Kristian looks, especially if she is happy
with it. My only comment was some amazement that she looks so different
today vs. 35 years ago. But is she is happy with it, that's all that
matters.

Joanne Fitzgerald

Jul 14, 2022, 4:41:17 PM7/14/22
I have watched DOOL since 1979 so I have seen Kristian A. grow up on the show. Starting out at approx. 19 years of age, she like many young adults had a fuller face, but over the next few years her adult look evolved. I would say when she was in her early 30’s she lost a good deal of weight and more than likely was involved in some routine exercise program. She looked stunning. Please keep in mind that she IS now in her 50’s and without any major intervention she, like all of us, will look different than we did 30 years ago. The neck thing? Kristian is one of the lucky women graced with a long lovely neck, but in their older years it's not the beauty asset it once was. Look at a photo of 70 year-old Audrey Hepburn (great actress and philanthropist) to see that she and Kristian look quite the same. I imagine that most actors (male or female) need to and do have very good skin care regimens, which will keep them looking younger than they are by a few years. Lastly, it's mostly in the genes so we get what we get, actresses, mom's, nurses, doctors, store clerks, teachers, … all of us can only support what we have as we age …. Gracefully if possible. Peace.