why dawson's creek suck.

Scott Goodbrand

Feb 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/10/99
First learn how to spell, then mabe I'll listen to what you have to say.

'Every man dies, but not every man really lives.' - Mel Gibson

mmh

Feb 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/10/99
You know, I really enjoy watching Dawson's Creek but you do have to admit this is a valid point here.  I never even thought of this one, but this isn't the only inconsistency.  But think about this:  Joey and Dawson know each other almost their entire lives.  He would have not only KNOWN why her father was in prison, he would have met her father, known about the affair (they live in a small town, and come on now, even ABBY knew about Dawson's mom's affair).  This is a valid point and maybe the writers should proof read their dialogues a little more.

I love Dawson's Creek but there are some strange inconsistencies.  Take Andy's medication for example.  The writers should have studied the forms of particular medications a little more before they had Andy popping pills that looked more like heavy antibiotics.  And Xanax is relatively mild.  But with all meds that are prescribed by a psychiatrist, this also begs the question, how come we never see Andy checking in with her psychiatrist??  It is federal law that a psychiatrist visits with their patient on a fairly regular basis to assess whether or not they still need their medication or whether it should be changed or increased.  But DC showed Andy opening the cabinets and pulling out some pills that she hadn't taken for a long time - without calling a doctor and asking whether or not this was a good idea.  This doesn't show Andy being the responsible person that the show portrays her as - this is unrealistic.  She couldn't possibly just call for a refill without having to consult her doctor.  Unless it had a refill available (the show has her going for refills, with Pacey running into her and seeing her with the meds in hand).  She will HAVE to check in with a doctor soon, but how much you wanna bet that she won't?    But if she did have a refill available there will come a time, soon, when she will have to call the doctor and have him agree to give her more refills and he/she will of course want to see her first.  Make any sense?

I know a lot of you will feel like sending me angry emails, telling me I don't know what I'm talking about.  And that's okay.  I am certainly up for debate regarding this and other issues.  I love the show.  I never miss it.  Perhaps the writers have Andy slated for a psych-ward visit (which would explain the irresponsibility regarding her self-medicating behaviors)...and that would explain that.

That's my 25 cents.  25 because I usually just read these posts..but this one struck a nerve.  There are inconsistencies and it seems kind of silly to try to pretend they don't exist.  They do.
ami wrote in message <36C1999F...@inter.net.il>...
I know the  posts in this ng are fan oriented and i should post it on: alt.tv.dawsons-creek.suck
but there were few posts about the flaws in the show and frankly, there's more bad things
than good things. and it turn to be funny than dramatic like good ol'  a. spelling production:

to prove my point: (last ep. of season 1)
dawson:"when was the last time you saw your father?"
joey:    "2 years ago. about the first time he was trafficing marihuana while cheating my dying mother
          whith a bleach one cocktail waitress".
dawson:"well, its only for today. you'll get through it. I promiss".

this is the first time dawson asks her about her father and its very weird because both of them saying
they like brother and sister-soulmates-15 years of friendship etc. so they must had to talk about it earlier
its a big issue to reveil in a 20 seconds dialogue. I agree that the viewrs should know the background
story about joey but she can tell that to someone that doesn't completely know her/sopoused to know her
like jen, pacey or mrs. leery.

Philip Spakouskas

Feb 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/10/99
well not sure but I certainly know that your MABE is spelled like maybe.
really not sure (got the point ?)
Scott Goodbrand schrieb in Nachricht
<12996-36...@newsd-152.iap.bryant.webtv.net>...

Mammoth

Feb 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/10/99
Just because Dawson and Joey are friends doesn't mean they know
everything about each other. Sure, they have probably talked about this
before, but maybe Dawson just couldn't recall it.

Anyway, you might be right that there are some inconsistency and factual
errors in the show. In "Full Moon Rising" when the pump to the aquarium
breakes down, they say the lobsters only survive for 15 minutes. This is
funny cause real lobsters can survive several hours without any water at
all. After they've fixed the pump, they never put the lobsters back in
the aquarium either.

Does this make the show any worse, I think not. Just because there are
some factual errors doesn't hurt the show as long as it has a great
story with talented actors.

Mammoth

FK

Feb 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/10/99

You are all getting way too picky about the show. Just enjoy it. If you
don't then don't watch it OK.

Anyways regarding the issues. There is some things to think about.
* Dawson may not know when was the last time Joey saw her dad.
* Who would keep track of their friends visitation with parents?
* Dawson may very much know about all those facts.
* Joey may want to emphasize that her dad is a crimial to Dawson.
* by saying all those things she is expressing anger toward her dad.
* She just want Dawson to get the idea that she doesn't really want to see
him.

At the visitation room Mr Potter already know who Dawson was. There was no
introduction.

Dawson was kind enough not to express his opinion on Mr Potter's situation
and talked to him like any other person. I thought that was nice.

FK

princess_cari

Feb 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/10/99
And also, the writers' wanted to let us know about her dad so they had her
tell Dawson. It's a tv show; all tv shows have problems in the writing.

: )Cari

woow...@earthlink.net

Feb 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/10/99
[...]

They say all those things because so the viewers will know what's going on. It's a given, like an evil master mind explaining his/her plan to take over the world outloud and then a crazy laugh.

AJR+2

Feb 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/10/99
I agree. These shows are for entertainment. A slip-up here and there is very
reasonable.

FK wrote in message <79tc4q$s...@sjx-ixn5.ix.netcom.com>...

>You are all getting way too picky about the show. Just enjoy it. If you
>don't then don't watch it OK.
>
>Anyways regarding the issues. There is some things to think about.
>* Dawson may not know when was the last time Joey saw her dad.
>* Who would keep track of their friends visitation with parents?
>* Dawson may very much know about all those facts.
>* Joey may want to emphasize that her dad is a crimial to Dawson.
>* by saying all those things she is expressing anger toward her dad.
>* She just want Dawson to get the idea that she doesn't really want to see
>him.
>
>At the visitation room Mr Potter already know who Dawson was. There was no
>introduction.
>
>Dawson was kind enough not to express his opinion on Mr Potter's situation
>and talked to him like any other person. I thought that was nice.
>
>FK

Sinfi

Feb 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/10/99
I agree that you both had a point about Dawson's Creek having a few
problems with inconsistancy and continuity. Does that really make it
all that much less of a good show though? I can begrudgingly admit that
just about all the shows I've come to love have the same kinds of
problems, and while some people just love to knitpick about them, they
really don't detract from the quality of the show that much.

A light challenge: I'd like anyone reading to see if they can find a
wonderful TV show that has never had any consistancy problems...if so,
lets hear about it.

> Take Andy's medication for example. The writers should have studied
> the forms of particular medications a little more before they had Andy
> popping pills that looked more like heavy antibiotics. And Xanax is
> relatively mild. But with all meds that are prescribed by a
> psychiatrist, this also begs the question, how come we never see Andy
> checking in with her psychiatrist?? It is federal law that a
> psychiatrist visits with their patient on a fairly regular basis to
> assess whether or not they still need their medication or whether it
> should be changed or increased. But DC showed Andy opening the
> cabinets and pulling out some pills that she hadn't taken for a long
> time - without calling a doctor and asking whether or not this was a
> good idea. This doesn't show Andy being the responsible person that
> the show portrays her as - this is unrealistic.

I disagree on this point though. I think Andie's responsibility is
really only a facade. I thinks she struggles so hard to keep her school
priorities in such perfect order because she has no control over the
chaotic emotional whims she experiences, and the only thing she was able
to think about when she took those pills was regaining control of
herself. She's desperate to maintain some semblance of control, because
she takes great pride in it, but she's ashamed that she has to resort to
pills to be able to do it. Of course she didn't consult a doctor, she
didn't want anyone to know. That makes perfect sense to me...

> I know a lot of you will feel like sending me angry emails, telling me
> I don't know what I'm talking about. And that's okay. I am certainly
> up for debate regarding this and other issues. I love the show. I
> never miss it. Perhaps the writers have Andy slated for a psych-ward
> visit (which would explain the irresponsibility regarding her
> self-medicating behaviors)...and that would explain that.

I wouldn't flame ya! You have a very valid point and we can discuss it
like mature adults (even if this one of us is just a teenager, but only
for 2 more years ;)

As for Ami, I get the feeling although she tried to make a good argument
for her "case", she basically just wanted heated reactions. How
disappointed she'll be with us :)

~Sinfi

*praying for the day spell-checkers are available for wide spread use*
Oh, wait a minute...they are...

*praying for the day people have the presence of mind to use a
spell-checker*

tank_co...@my-dejanews.com

Feb 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/10/99
If it's so bad then go away and tell someone who cares. Saying the show has
flaws is one thing but posting that the show sucks and that it will never
win an award, is another. We are fans of the show here, most unequivocally,
so go somewhere like "alt.tv.dawsons-creek.sucks" and tell them, they'll
listen. We don't care to hear it. Not trying to be mean or anything but you
people get on my nerves. We don't go to "your favorite place" and tell you
it sucks. Geez!

Tank_Commander
"General of the allied forces"
"DCW Hardcore Champ and all around HELL RAISER!!!... with an intellect.

[...]

http://www.newsfeeds.com/ The Largest Usenet Servers in the World!
-----------== Over 66,000 Groups, Plus a Dedicated Binaries Server ==----------

ShAyNuH512

Feb 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/11/99
>It is federal law that a =
>psychiatrist visits with their patient on a fairly regular basis to =
>assess whether or not they still need their medication or whether it =

>should be changed or increased.

Well then I should be suing my doctor because she never follows up on me! I've
been going only like maybe once every two months...

Shana
"I'm not crazy...I'm neurochemically challenged!"

M Jones

Feb 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/11/99
Mammoth wrote:

> Anyway, you might be right that there are some inconsistency and factual
> errors in the show. In "Full Moon Rising" when the pump to the aquarium
> breakes down, they say the lobsters only survive for 15 minutes. This is
> funny cause real lobsters can survive several hours without any water at
> all.

Maybe it has to do with FDA laws. Like they can't serve the lobsters if
they've been out of the water & not on ice for over 15 minutes.
Granted, I don't know WHY they wouldn't be able to serve them, but it's
a possibility. I work at McD's, and I found out recently that the M&M's
we use for flurries have a shelf life of 3 days. Once they're out of
the package and in the dispenser, you can't serve them after 3 days!
WHY? I know I've eaten M&M's that were much older than that, and they
were fine. :)

Mickey
http://www.angelfire.com/il/mjones/index.html

"You see, once you've mastered the concept of projectile over gravity-"
"You throw up?"
-Pinky and the Brain

> Does this make the show any worse, I think not. Just because there are
> some factual errors doesn't hurt the show as long as it has a great
> story with talented actors.
>
> Mammoth

mmh

Feb 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/11/99
You are absolutely right on about this. It's a great show. It's the only
one that I watch religiously. Of course there will be inconsistencies at
times...it's just interesting and sometimes fun to go over them and point
them out with other people. Not to put the show down, but maybe more to
just see who is paying attention to detail. It's not a DC bashing on my
part at all. I think that the majority of the plot is very well thought out
and intelligent and it really forces a person to think. It's one of the
very few shows that confronts a lot of serious issues with credibility and
brash integrity. Please don't get me wrong. I had just wondered about some
of these things myself - especially the thing with Joey and her father. I
realize however that the writers had to find a way to sort of narrate what
had gone on between Joey and her father so that the viewers would understand
the relationship.....which explains the scene where Joey is telling Dawson
what happened to him. But the reality is, he would have known. It's a
small town in which they live and believe me, in small towns, people do know
pretty much everything that goes on in everyone else's life. But it's not a
serious inconsistency and I can see why the scene and dialogue was done the
way it was.

mmh

Feb 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/11/99
Once every two months is MORE than enough. Every six months is considered a
good amount of time to allow to pass when you are "stabilized". But my case
and point is that Andy stopped taking her medication some time ago and then
just randomly decided to begin taking it again. Not a good idea. She
should have called her doctor and discussed it. It wasn't a responsible
action and it went against the responsibility that some have come to expect
from Andy's personality. But seriously, every two months is actually quite
often. I took Xanax for anxiety and saw my doctor about every five months
to six.

kat...@homeontherange.com

Feb 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/11/99
M Jones wrote:

> Mammoth wrote:
> >
> > Anyway, you might be right that there are some inconsistency and factual
> > errors in the show. In "Full Moon Rising" when the pump to the aquarium
> > breakes down, they say the lobsters only survive for 15 minutes. This is
> > funny cause real lobsters can survive several hours without any water at
> > all.
>
> Maybe it has to do with FDA laws. Like they can't serve the lobsters if
> they've been out of the water & not on ice for over 15 minutes.

I can't recall this episode verbatim, but the lobsters needed to have
the pump working for the aeration. Water wasn't the problem; oxygen
was.

Tank_Commander

Tank_Commander

Feb 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/15/99
OK, maybe I did jump the gun a bit by pummeling you, but to come to a
fan-based forum and tell everyone that it sucks, is a little rude. I wasn't
trying to offend you or anything and if I did then I am truly sorry. You
must understand though, for a fan of my caliber, coming here and seeing
people, mainly trolls, posting DC sucks and ect., it tends to get a little
annoying after a while. BTW, I should hope that there is room in here for
older viewers and not just teenagers, otherwise I would have to leave also,
considering the fact that I am 23 as well.

Tank_Commander
"General of the allied forces"

"DCW Hardcore Champ and all around HELL RAISER!!!... with an intellect.

ami wrote in message <36C6CCAF...@inter.net.il>...
I don't think it's wrong to give an opinion about this show or other
maybe "suck" is a strong word. maybe I used it to catch your eyes.
I think its a must for you to discusse about things you hate or bother
you
but do it in polite and kind way. don't get me wrong i still like it
but not totally head-in-the-clouds like a late 80's fundamental
humeinist - sorry for the comparison.
I think it's refreshing to hear different opinions that not totally like
yours. I passed the
teenage phase [23] and I'm hope there's a place for older viewrs in this
ng same as teens.
isn't the point of establishing newsgroups and the web for enabling free
of speach?
so if it really bothers you don't keep reading posts with criticism.

tank_co...@my-dejanews.com

Feb 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/15/99
OK, maybe I did jump the gun a bit by pummeling you, but to come to a
fan-based forum and tell everyone that it sucks is a little rude. I wasn't

trying to offend you or anything and if I did then I am truly sorry. You
must understand though, for a fan of my caliber, coming here and seeing
people, mainly trolls, posting DC sucks and ect., it tends to get a little
annoying after a while. BTW, I should hope that there is room in here for
older viewers and not just teenagers, otherwise I would have to leave too,

M Jones

Feb 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/15/99
<BIG snip>

There is a difference between an opinion and a flame. Someone who just
says "Dawson's Creek sucks" and gives no reason why is bordering on a
flame. At any rate, they are posting an irrelavent, pointless message.

But when someone says something like "Dawson's Creek sucks because the
storylines are unrealistic," or "the acting has declined," they are
stating a valid opinion. True, sucks is a strong word; it may not be
the most polite way to say it, but at least they are giving reasons for
their argument.

I don't even remember what the original post was, so I'm not going to
comment on it or any others.

Mickey
http://www.angelfire.com/il/mjones/index.html

"I'd probably be stupid enough to wait forever."

frank...@gmail.com

Aug 9, 2018, 3:30:27 PM8/9/18
On Wednesday, February 10, 1999 at 2:00:00 AM UTC-6, Scott Goodbrand wrote:
> First learn how to spell, then mabe I'll listen to what you have to say.
>
> 'Every man dies, but not every man really lives.' - Mel Gibson

frank...@gmail.com

Aug 9, 2018, 3:30:44 PM8/9/18
wat?
Message has been deleted