The CW: Can we put this TV network in the coffin?

TMC

Dec 1, 2012, 9:37:38 PM12/1/12
http://radiodiscussions.com/smf/index.php?topic=223478.0

Quote from: e-dawg on November 19, 2012, 12:39:35 AM
Can we put these tv networks in the coffin. Since these networks
don't produce great ratings.

No. Of the 3, the CW is in the most jeopardy. It has the highest
overhead and ratings are sometimes lower than Ion or My Network TV.

Ion and My are low-overhead operations that serve their owners quite
well.

CW will be around at least until the agreements that the former WB and
UPN affiliates signed expire, but would all those stations fill
pretime with if CW went off the air?

Not that WB and UPN were ratings powerhouses. But at least they put on
some decent shows during their run. Star Trek: Voyager, Dawson's
Creek, etc. If it wasn't for America's Next Top Model, I think CW
would have been sacked years ago.

The CW's problem is its overtly targeted programming towards 18-24
year old females exclusively while only throwing a bone every once in
a while to other demographic groups. The former WB and UPN actually
targeted a variety of demographics throughout their existence. If
somebody at CBS and Time Warner would wake up and realize this then
the network could actually survived and possibly thrive in the long
term. It started out pretty good then somewhere in 2009 it went to
garbage.

If the CW did go belly up then most of its stations in medium and
smaller markets would struggle to stay on air because many are
struggling to stay afloat now.

Martin Phipps

Dec 2, 2012, 8:57:44 PM12/2/12
On Dec 2, 10:37 am, TMC <tmc1...@gmail.com> wrote:

> The CW's problem is its overtly targeted programming towards 18-24
> year old females exclusively while only throwing a bone every once in
> a while to other demographic groups.

Don't forget that the CW is going to air a Wonder Woman series called
"Amazon". What's next? A Flash series?

Then there's the Nikita series, although this is probably the last
season.

I don't think America's Next Top Model only appealed to females
either.

Martin