David Henesy and the Obnoxious Fans

WaylonS...@webtv.net

Feb 27, 2001, 9:29:02 PM2/27/01
So, I've been hearing about DH's run-in with some obnoxious fans at his
restaurant, but I've never heard any of the details. What, exactly, did
these fans do? It sounds like such a bizarre incident.

Eric Newman

Feb 27, 2001, 10:34:40 PM2/27/01
On Tue, 27 Feb 2001 21:29:02 -0500 (EST), WaylonS...@webtv.net
wrote:

>So, I've been hearing about DH's run-in with some obnoxious fans at his
>restaurant, but I've never heard any of the details. What, exactly, did
>these fans do? It sounds like such a bizarre incident.

Maybe they tried to hold a seance in his restaurant.

Ken London

Feb 28, 2001, 11:17:37 AM2/28/01
to Eric Newman
Eric Newman wrote:

My understanding is they got very drunk and very rowdy.

PostCool1

Feb 28, 2001, 12:05:48 PM2/28/01
>So, I've been hearing about DH's run-in with some obnoxious fans at his
>restaurant, but I've never heard any of the details. What, exactly, did
>these fans do?

This was a very upscale, quiet and classy place. A bunch of them went in
dressed inappropriately, and sat down to eat-- then they spotted him and began
being loud and obnoxious, yelling out for him to come over to the table and
give them an autograph -- the patrons were horrified, and many of them left
after this disturbance. DH was furious, and rightly so.

This was the story I have often heard-- maybe someone else knows a little more?

:-)
"If peace were mine to give, I would not have to... be honest." Barnabas

Jenny Brown

Feb 28, 2001, 12:38:28 PM2/28/01
I seriously doubt this is the story you heard, but my dad and some of his
friends went to the resturant once before a convention. They knew he had a
motorcycle. They saw a motorcycle outside and his friends posed for a picture
with it. before he could take the picture they were off and running. My dad
turned around to see a man standing in the door with a "what the hell are you
doing?" look on his face. He didnt get a good enough look at him to know if it
was David. He just smiled and said "Hi there." and followed his friends. He
told me that he always wondered if that was the reason David didn't go to the
convention that year. I seriously doubt it. Anyway, I thought that was a cute
story. You have to know my dad to really appriceate it.

>> >So, I've been hearing about DH's run-in with some obnoxious fans at his
>> >restaurant, but I've never heard any of the details. What, exactly, did
>> >these fans do? It sounds like such a bizarre incident.

"In this world that we know now, life is here then gone. Somewhere in the
afterglow LOVE lives on and on"--Quentin

The Ghost of Sarah Collins

Feb 28, 2001, 3:53:44 PM2/28/01

>>So, I've been hearing about DH's run-in with some obnoxious fans at his
>>restaurant, but I've never heard any of the details. What, exactly, did
>>these fans do?
>
>This was a very upscale, quiet and classy place. A bunch of them went in
>dressed inappropriately, and sat down to eat-- then they spotted him and
>began
>being loud and obnoxious, yelling out for him to come over to the table and
>give them an autograph -- the patrons were horrified, and many of them left
>after this disturbance. DH was furious, and rightly so.
>
>This was the story I have often heard-- maybe someone else knows a little
>more?
>
>From: post...@aol.comCollins (PostCool1)

Hello Postcool!
The story I read was that prior to a fest
in which David agreed to appear, a few
fans happen to be in David's place of business, in which they were very busy
with customers, I suspect he was overseeing his employees as well as helping
with the business details of his establishment ... unfortunately these fans
were very forward in there admiration of this
DS cast member and began pleading with him for autographs and a Q&A session
right then and there! David had them
removed, he also then canceled his appearance in the fest. sad tale isn't it?

Sarah (1784-1795)
Loving Sister to Barnabas...@}{~~~~~~
"That evil is wicked is well understood.
the wicked are punished so you must be good."
(Sarah to Barnabas.)

Guy Haines, II

Mar 1, 2001, 3:16:13 AM3/1/01

"PostCool1" <post...@aol.comCollins> wrote in message

> This was the story I have often heard-- maybe someone else knows a little
more?

Rho, who knows which story it true? The story Sarah related comes closest to
the one that I heard. I really didn't think that the fans had made that much
of a nuisance of themselves. And, it's so easy to play the blame game like
this. I wonder it Henesy would have attended even if this story is true.
Remember, he didn't show up the year prior to this supposed incident even
though he was scheduled and in the DS Fest program book. He was simply a
no-show.

After the second Festival which he failed to show up for, Jim Pierson, Deb
Kreuter and myself visited his restaurant, Petaluma (no longer his
restaurant). There was a motorcycle outside so we suspected DH was inside
working. We were seated and we were looking over the male staff who were
working there. One particular young guy seemed to be in charge. He wasn't
wearing a suit, but he did have a dress shirt and a tie. Jim thought that
this might be DH. I didn't think it looked much like I thought he would look
like as an adult. When he passed close to our table, he said something to
one of the waiters and Jim said "That's him! That's the voice I spoke to on
the phone!" (Jim had apparently spoken to him prior to the Fest to confirm
his intentions of attending.) I said "Are you sure? It looks nothing like
him." Jim said "Yes, I'm sure! That's the voice I spoke to." We debated
about asking him if he was DH and we all chickened out, ate, paid for our
meal and left. It was later that Jim told me that I was right, it was NOT
David Henesy.

At a later time, I believe one of our regular posters here (who is on the
Festival staff) did indeed meet Henesy at his restaurant. Since they've not
mentioned this, I suppose they don't want to share their experience, so I'll
not say anything more. Please don't ask me who it is. If they wanted to tell
you, they would themselves.

One more thing. I was previously under the impression that someone who posts
here off and on was one of the people who ticked off Henesy in the alleged
incident which we are discussing. I'm not going to name them either. If they
wanted to, they would tell the story from their angle. (I may have been
misled about this, however. As I said, originally the rumor spread that
obnoxious fans kept Henesy away when, in truth, it may have been bad
feelings between fans that started this (possibly) untrue rumor which has
gone on to become a DS urban legend. If the person is still reading/posting
here, perhaps they'll email me and tell me if the story is true or not. If I
don't hear from them, perhaps the whole thing was made up in an effort to
blame them for the whole thing and they themselves are unaware that they
were the ones who were blamed. If this is so, I don't know if I would want
to upset them.
Guy

Guy Haines, II

Mar 1, 2001, 3:34:03 AM3/1/01

"Jenny Brown" <jbrow...@aol.comQnospamQ> wrote in message

> I seriously doubt this is the story you heard, but my dad and some of his
> friends went to the resturant once before a convention. They knew he had
> motorcycle. They saw a motorcycle outside and his friends posed for a
picture
> with it. before he could take the picture they were off and running. My
dad
> turned around to see a man standing in the door with a "what the hell are
you
> doing?" look on his face. He didnt get a good enough look at him to know
if it
> was David. He just smiled and said "Hi there." and followed his friends.
He
> told me that he always wondered if that was the reason David didn't go to
the
> convention that year. I seriously doubt it. Anyway, I thought that was a
cute
> story. You have to know my dad to really appriceate it.

Jenny, this is a neat story that you Dad never shared with me. Too funny,
too!

Your Dad and I were once asked by Jim Pierson to put together two videotapes
of clips of Henesy's characters on DS. (This was in the days before DS was
on Sci Fi and MPI tapes and Dave and I had the episodes from some of the
UHF/PBS stations that showed DS in the early 80s.) I compiled Henesy's
early David Collins scenes in the pre-1795 episodes and your Dad did his
later shows as Daniel and Jamison.

Your Dad finished his tape first and sent it to Henesy, via Jim Pierson who
didn't want to trust us with Henesy's address. Anyway, I remember your Dad
waited and waited for a reply from Henesy as your Dad had asked him for an
autograph or something. He never replied as far as I know. So, because of
this, I never sent Henesy the tape that I put together for him. In fact, I
just came across it the other day. It even still has the letter (enclosed in
the tape case) that I had written to Henesy.

One lucky fan friend of mine who DID get an autograph from David Henesy by
simply writing to him (don't ask me how he got Henesy's address....I don't
know) was the late David McGriff. He was so excited to have gotten this and
as far as I know he's the only DS fan who's gotten Henesy's autograph since
the days of the show. After David McGriff passed away, I'm not certain what
happened to his autograph collection. He had some great autographs, like the
four main characters from "Stand By Me", including the late River Phoenix!

One more story about David Henesy. When we went to Joan Bennett's home in
1986 to videotape her for an interview, she (or her husband) mentioned that
they had once dined out in one of Henesy's NYC restaurants with Louis
Edmonds, Diana Millay, Nancy Barrett, and possibly Sam and Grayson Hall.
Joan (or her husband) related that David came over to their table to chat,
being very glad to see them. Wish someone would have had a camera!
Guy