Daria and Drugs

<Affinity>

Sep 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/5/99
Hmm, don't you think its odd that none of the characters on Daria!
even ever mention taking drugs, lets alone drinking or smoking
(acceptable drugs)?

I would like to see Quinn and the fashion club members experiment with
Ecstasy and do the whole 'drugs are cool thing'.

And surely someone in the Lane household could at least smoke a little
pot.
--

___
/\ \

Wammy2

Sep 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/5/99
>Subject: Daria and Drugs
>From: " Affinity " <lu...@camtech.net.au>
>Date: Sun, 05 September 1999 12:41 AM EDT

>Hmm, don't you think its odd that none of the characters on Daria!
>even ever mention taking drugs, lets alone drinking or smoking
>(acceptable drugs)?

Just out of curiousity, have you seen any of the shows? There are several
episodes that have everything you are asking about. For instance, "ILL" has
Jake freaking because he thinks Daria is using drugs, "Road Worrier" has
several references to drug use, and "Teachings of Don Jake" has Jake, Helen,
and Quinn eating berries containing hallucinogens. Mr. Demartino smokes in "The
Big House", and the episodes I can name that show alcohol use are "Cafe
Disaffecto" (Andrea), "Pinch Sitter" (Jake), "The Daria Hunter" (Mr D, Jake),
and "That Was Then, This is Dumb" (Coyote, Jake) just off the top of my head.

>I would like to see Quinn and the fashion club members experiment with
>Ecstasy and do the whole 'drugs are cool thing'.

This could be one of those "future plots" ideas - Andrea was drinking in "Cafe
Disaffecto", maybe something with her?

>And surely someone in the Lane household could at least smoke a little
>pot.

Maybe they do - why would it be necessary to show this? It doesn't add to the
plot line, not so far anyway, so there is no real reason to throw gratuitous
drug use in.

DJ

<Affinity>

Sep 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/5/99

Wammy2 wrote:

> Just out of curiousity, have you seen any of the shows?

Yeah of course, I watch it the four days of the week that its on here.

> There are several
> episodes that have everything you are asking about. For instance, "ILL" has
> Jake freaking because he thinks Daria is using drugs, "Road Worrier" has
> several references to drug use, and "Teachings of Don Jake" has Jake, Helen,
> and Quinn eating berries containing hallucinogens.

I do remember drug references in "Teachings of Don Jake", that incidentally was a
really funny episode. Kinda Simpsonesque in it's hallucinogenic meets domestic
plot line.

> Mr. Demartino smokes in "The
> Big House", and the episodes I can name that show alcohol use are "Cafe
> Disaffecto" (Andrea), "Pinch Sitter" (Jake), "The Daria Hunter" (Mr D, Jake),
> and "That Was Then, This is Dumb" (Coyote, Jake) just off the top of my head.

I stand corrected.

> >I would like to see Quinn and the fashion club members experiment with
> >Ecstasy and do the whole 'drugs are cool thing'.
>
> This could be one of those "future plots" ideas - Andrea was drinking in "Cafe
> Disaffecto", maybe something with her?

No, I would like to see a non 'alternative' character, like Quinn or even Brittany
experiment with drugs.

> >And surely someone in the Lane household could at least smoke a little
> >pot.
> >
> Maybe they do - why would it be necessary to show this? It doesn't add to the
> plot line, not so far anyway, so there is no real reason to throw gratuitous
> drug use in.

I would like to see a little gratuitous drug use personally, or at least a bong on
a coffee table or something.

> DJ

Dagny Scott

Sep 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/5/99
>> Maybe they do - why would it be necessary to show this? It doesn't add to
>the
>> plot line, not so far anyway, so there is no real reason to throw
>gratuitous
>> drug use in.
>
>I would like to see a little gratuitous drug use personally, or at least a
>bong on
>a coffee table or something.

the thing you've got to remember is that this is a suburban school, and while
drug use is present, it is rarely obvious and doesn't occur in public, at least
at school, or the pizza parlor, two places Daria is most likely to be (this is
about Daria, remember)... I think that "uuh... we're talking about us" guy in
"Esteemsters" was a little "out there", so it's pretty much that drug use
occurs, but not necessarily in the circle of the main characters.

Also, people trying to be "cool" in a suburban setting like the fashion club
rarely use drugs as a means to that end. That would cut into their money for a
new spring wardrobe, anyway. And do you see the way those junkies dress? Eww...

Dagny

http://members.aol.com/Eccles9697

"I'm not different for the sake of being different, only for the desperate sake
of being myself. I can't join your gang: you'd think I was a phony and I'd know
it." Vivian Stanshall

Lone Wolf

Sep 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/5/99
If they wanted to tackle (pardon the pun) a more serious subject, they
could have one or more of the football players trying steroids.

On Sun, 05 Sep 1999 15:11:40 +1030, "<Affinity>"
<lu...@camtech.net.au> wrote:

>Hmm, don't you think its odd that none of the characters on Daria!
>even ever mention taking drugs, lets alone drinking or smoking
>(acceptable drugs)?
>

>I would like to see Quinn and the fashion club members experiment with
>Ecstasy and do the whole 'drugs are cool thing'.
>

>And surely someone in the Lane household could at least smoke a little
>pot.

-----
Lone Wolf
I'm rooting for the crocodile.

"You are American?"
"No, I'm Canadian... that's like an American without
the gun."
- KitH

Jordan S. Bassior

Sep 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/5/99
Affinity said:

>Hmm, don't you think its odd that none of the characters on Daria!
>even ever mention taking drugs, lets alone drinking or smoking
>(acceptable drugs)?

1) It's been established that there are drug dealers at Lawndale High.

2) We've seen Andrea drink. And lots of people were drinking at the party in
"Invitation".

3) Trent smokes.

Having said that, I agree that any drug use is downplayed, for two big reasons:

1) Daria's the VP character, and she doesn't use drugs, drink, or smoke, and

2) This is American TV, and we're damned puritanical about showing that kind of
thing.

My great fear is that if Daria ever had an episode hinge on or even seriously
mention drug use, either it would degenerate into an After-School Special or it
would arouse serious controversy ("everyone knows" that Daria is a show for
"teens") and lead to the show's cancellation.

>I would like to see Quinn and the fashion club members experiment with
>Ecstasy and do the whole 'drugs are cool thing'.

I could easily see this happen given their personalities (and Sandi's
manipulative nature, if she controls the supply). But they would NEVER do this
plot on the show.

>And surely someone in the Lane household could at least smoke a little pot.

I think they all do.

Sincerely Yours,
Jordan

"Man is a god in ruins" (Ralph Waldo Emerson)

Jordan S. Bassior

Sep 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/5/99
Dagny said:

>the thing you've got to remember is that this is a suburban school, and while
>drug use is present, it is rarely obvious and doesn't occur in public, at
>least at school, or the pizza parlor, two places Daria is most likely to be
(this
>is about Daria, remember)...

Yes. And Daria's personality is such that it would be very out of character for
her to seek drugs out. The only way I can see her getting into a situation
where she would encounter them would be 1) if one of her friends was really
messing themselves up with drugs, but that's a VERY dark sort of story if done
seriously rather than in After-School Special mode, or 2) if Daria had to
descend into a Den of Iniquity (skeevy hangout sort of place) for some plot
related reason (which could be funny).

>I think that "uuh... we're talking about us" guy in
>"Esteemsters" was a little "out there", so it's pretty much that drug use
>occurs, but not necessarily in the circle of the main characters.

Of the main circle of characters, in terms of drug use:

Daria ... no way.

Jane ... she's probably experimented at some point, but she would never do it
around Daria.

Trent ... he's almost definitely experimented, and could be smoking pot (it
would suit his personality), but again, he would avoid doing this around Daria.

Quinn ... no way. Her morals are rather similar to Daria's in most regards.

Jake and Helen ... we KNOW that they did drugs in their hippie phase, it's been
mentioned in more than one episode.

The FC ... they would do anything that seemed "cool", but as Dagny pointed out,
in their circle, drugs wouldn't be "cool". I could easily see Stacy getting
into drugs, though.

Jodie, Mack ... no way.

Kevin, Brittany ... Probably not, but if they did who would be able to tell the
difference?

Andrea ... definitely at risk. We know she drinks, and is probably not a happy
person.

Upchuck ... probably not.

Tom ... we don't know enough about him to be sure, but probably not.

>Also, people trying to be "cool" in a suburban setting like the fashion club
>rarely use drugs as a means to that end. That would cut into their money for
>a new spring wardrobe, anyway. And do you see the way those junkies dress?
>Eww...

Yeah. When they get older they might get into "uppers", up to and including
cocaine, for the weight loss and overall perkiness effect. Stacy and Tiffany,
especially Stacy, would be the ones at risk here.

endless, nameless

Sep 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/5/99
"" wrote:

> Hmm, don't you think its odd that none of the characters on Daria!
> even ever mention taking drugs, lets alone drinking or smoking
> (acceptable drugs)?

yes, but it's a tv show.

> I would like to see Quinn and the fashion club members experiment with
> Ecstasy and do the whole 'drugs are cool thing'.

<tiffany>
buuuuut, don't drugs, like, give you zits?
</tiffany>

--
·•alli•· { mailto:yan...@vossnet.co.uk }
{ http://voices.vossnet.co.uk/y/yannaco }

Daria Code v1.1
Ap D T6 Wl Q+ FN^Fr
O++ Ow+OH+Of m c
MV-- C5--
F:108 BB FCD -DT- q fN

Howling Lunatic

Sep 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/5/99
On 05 Sep 1999 15:30:18 GMT, jsba...@aol.com (Jordan S. Bassior)
wrote:

>My great fear is that if Daria ever had an episode hinge on or even seriously
>mention drug use, either it would degenerate into an After-School Special or it
>would arouse serious controversy ("everyone knows" that Daria is a show for
>"teens") and lead to the show's cancellation.

That's kinda paranoid? Lot's of people yell and scream about lots of
things in America, but when was the last time a show actually got
cancelled because of it?

>>I would like to see Quinn and the fashion club members experiment with
>>Ecstasy and do the whole 'drugs are cool thing'.
>

>I could easily see this happen given their personalities (and Sandi's
>manipulative nature, if she controls the supply). But they would NEVER do this
>plot on the show.

I don't see it. I really don't. They have everything they want.
What advantage does drugs have for them?

>>And surely someone in the Lane household could at least smoke a little pot.
>

>I think they all do.

Kyle, The Manny Alexander of alt.sports.baseball.chicago.cubs

"Kissing is touching your lips to the better end of 66 feet of intestine"

Martin J. Pollard

Sep 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/5/99
On Sun, 05 Sep 1999 20:20:08 GMT, tarvNO...@xoommail.com (Tarvok)
wrote:

>>And surely someone in the Lane household could at least smoke a little
>>pot.
>

>BOTH of her parents could use a little relaxing. ;p

If Amanda Lane was any more relaxed, she'd be in a coma. :-)

Martin
(send all e-mail to "mar...@lawndale.net")
| Quinn: When they got nervous, they'd drink cocoa. |
| Helen: Now, sweetie, there's nothing to worry about. (door slams) |
| Looters! |
Outpost Daria: Your Online Database for All Things Daria!
http://www.lawndale.net -OR- http://systech.simplenet.com/daria/

Dagny Scott

Sep 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/5/99
>>BOTH of her parents could use a little relaxing. ;p
>
>If Amanda Lane was any more relaxed, she'd be in a coma. :-)

I think that the sister with the parrot (sorry, forgot her name, too lazy to
look it up, blah blah) could use to be a little more relaxed "Hey, man, forget
about the volcano, here, smoke some weed"

"hey, what volcano?"

Martin J. Pollard

Sep 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/5/99
On 05 Sep 1999 21:08:10 GMT, eccle...@aol.comenospam (Dagny Scott)
wrote:

>>If Amanda Lane was any more relaxed, she'd be in a coma. :-)
>
>I think that the sister with the parrot (sorry, forgot her name, too lazy to
>look it up, blah blah) could use to be a little more relaxed "Hey, man, forget
>about the volcano, here, smoke some weed"
>
>"hey, what volcano?"

I'll buy that. If anyone needs relaxing, it's Penny. Anyone who's so
tightly wound that they don't even notice they're pouring themselves a
glass of silver nitrate *needs* some mind-altering chemicals. :-)

<Affinity>

Sep 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/6/99
Upchuck s a prime candidate for smart drugs. I bet he grows up to be a
part time chemist, spending extraordinary amounts of hours in his
laboratory trying to create the drug to enable him to take over the
world.

Just on a tangent, could you imagine the offspring of Daria and
Upchuck..?

Most amusing.

Jordan S. Bassior

Sep 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/6/99
Affinity said:

>Upchuck s a prime candidate for smart drugs. I bet he grows up to be a
>part time chemist, spending extraordinary amounts of hours in his
>laboratory trying to create the drug to enable him to take over the
>world.

Heh-heh-heh, actually I have no problem seeing Upchuck as a mad scientist ;-)

>Just on a tangent, could you imagine the offspring of Daria and
>Upchuck..?

Terrifying thought.

Matthias Benkmann

Sep 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/6/99
wrote:

>3) Trent smokes.

In what episode? MSB

Jordan S. Bassior

Sep 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/6/99
Matthias Benkmann said:

>In what episode? MSB

"Road Worriers", I think. Though I might be fooled by his odd little cough,
which makes him sound like a smoker.

Tice Rust

Sep 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/7/99
In article <19990906182309...@ng-fs1.aol.com>,

jsba...@aol.com (Jordan S. Bassior) wrote:
> Matthias Benkmann said:
>
> >In what episode? MSB
>
> "Road Worriers", I think. Though I might be fooled by his odd little
cough,
> which makes him sound like a smoker.

And the cough reappears in a lot of subsequent Trent episodes, too.
Then, he has that lighter to hold up concert-goer style at Jane's track
meet in "See Jane Run".

--
Tice Rust

Daria code: A D+ T2 W- Q++ Fn^Fr O+ Oo+Os m++ c++ MV
F:111,210,313 BB FCJ -DT- q+ fJ^fD

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

Shez

Sep 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/7/99
I think Quinn would be an obvious candidate to take Ecstasy.
Also -- to resurrect the sex thing -- to turn out to be a lesbian.
After all, she's resisted taking any of her male admirers seriously.
I can just imagine her and Sandi hitting it off.... classic butch/fem pair!

-Shez.

I can't understand why a person will take a year or two to write a
novel when he can easily buy one for a few dollars. -- Fred Allen
Take a break at the Last Stop Cafe at <URL: http://www.xerez.demon.co.uk/>

Jordan S. Bassior

Sep 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/7/99
Shez said:

>I think Quinn would be an obvious candidate to take Ecstasy.

Perhaps. I think Stacy's more likely though.

>Also -- to resurrect the sex thing -- to turn out to be a lesbian.

Possibly.

>After all, she's resisted taking any of her male admirers seriously.

True. Though that could be simple immaturity. She doesn't see guys as people.

>I can just imagine her and Sandi hitting it off.... classic butch/fem pair!

<shudder>

Sandy ... ewww ...

I could see Quinn and Stacy though.

Wammy2

Sep 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/7/99
> jsba...@aol.com (Jordan S. Bassior) wrote:
>> Matthias Benkmann said:
>>
>> >In what episode? MSB
>>
>> "Road Worriers", I think. Though I might be fooled by his odd little
>cough,
>> which makes him sound like a smoker.
>>
>And the cough reappears in a lot of subsequent Trent episodes, too.
>Then, he has that lighter to hold up concert-goer style at Jane's track
>meet in "See Jane Run".

This may go back to the earlier speculation of whether or not any Lanes smoke
pot - but there are no episodes with clear evidence supporting Trent as a
smoker. The only smoking I recall is Mr. Demartino and Heather (this name is
coming up quite a bit) who was the tour guide in "College Bored".

DJ

William Fowler

Sep 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/7/99
Tice Rust wrote:

> In article <19990906182309...@ng-fs1.aol.com>,

> jsba...@aol.com (Jordan S. Bassior) wrote:
> > Matthias Benkmann said:
> >
> > >In what episode? MSB
> >
> > "Road Worriers", I think. Though I might be fooled by his odd little
> cough,
> > which makes him sound like a smoker.
> >
> And the cough reappears in a lot of subsequent Trent episodes, too.
> Then, he has that lighter to hold up concert-goer style at Jane's track
> meet in "See Jane Run".

<0.02>

So, just because he has a lighter, he's automatically a smoker? I have a
lighter as well (got three of 'em, actually) yet I don't smoke. I use 'em
to light the barbecue grill.

Not saying he *doesn't* smoke, but we've never seen it. He wouldn't do it
around Daria in any case.

</0.02>

Marty
Charter Member, Secret Underground Bummer Culture
Silver Grove, KY Chapter

--
Check out The Definitive Daria!
http://w3.one.net/~mfowler/

Li: When the public eye is turned on our little corner of the universe, how
do we want to look?
Daria: Blecch.
Li: Blecch?
Daria: Giant eyeballs... creepy.

Daria Code v1.1
A D T2 Ww Q++ Fn^Fr
O+ Of+Os m- c++ MV-- C5X
F:110,203,313 BB++ FCD -DT+ q+ fD+10^fa

--
Get paid to surf the Web!
http://www.alladvantage.com/go.asp?refid=AVF804

William Fowler

Sep 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/7/99
"Jordan S. Bassior" wrote:

> Shez said:
>
> <snip>

> >I can just imagine her and Sandi hitting it off.... classic butch/fem pair!
>
> <shudder>
>
> Sandy ... ewww ...

This has already been done in fanfic... or at least hinted at. Can't remember
the title of the story but I *know* I've seen this somewhere. If anyone knows
the one I mean please post the title here.

> I could see Quinn and Stacy though.

Stacy, yeah. She craves acceptance so much she might resort to it. Quinn, OTOH,
probably wouldn't go for it. Seems to me that she shares at least some of
Daria's morals.

Either way, I don't think we'll see it from Glenn & Co.

Greg Pallis

Sep 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/7/99
>This has already been done in fanfic... or at least hinted at. Can't
remember
>the title of the story but I *know* I've seen this somewhere. If anyone
knows
>the one I mean please post the title here.

Freiends Can be So Alarming. Dunno who wrote it.

Greg Pallis

Sep 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/7/99
>>I can just imagine her and Sandi hitting it off.... classic butch/fem
pair!

Wow! A Quinn-Sandy 'Shipper!
Oy - go and sit with the Upchuck - Daria 'Shippers in the naughty corner :P

Howling Lunatic

Sep 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/7/99

They kicked me out of the naughty corner for being too dolphin-y.

Martin J. Pollard

Sep 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/7/99
On Tue, 07 Sep 1999 14:11:48 -0400, William Fowler <mfo...@one.net>
wrote:

>"Jordan S. Bassior" wrote:
>
>> Sandy ... ewww ...

>This has already been done in fanfic... or at least hinted at. Can't remember
>the title of the story but I *know* I've seen this somewhere. If anyone knows
>the one I mean please post the title here.

"Friends Are So Alarming," <SHAMELESS-PLUG> online at Outpost Daria.
</SHAMELESS-PLUG>

PeterTHX

Sep 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/7/99

Martin J. Pollard <nos...@lawndale.net> wrote

> >"Jordan S. Bassior" wrote:
> >
> >> Sandy ... ewww ...
> >
> >This has already been done in fanfic... or at least hinted at. Can't
remember
> >the title of the story but I *know* I've seen this somewhere. If anyone
knows
> >the one I mean please post the title here.

Yeah, the Quinn-Sandi sniping is really sexual tension ;-)~
Don't you see it????

"... Jane, have you considered homeopathy? " - O'Neill
" I'm going to stick with guys for now, but thanks for asking." - Jane

Dagny Scott

Sep 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/7/99

>So, just because he has a lighter, he's automatically a smoker? I have a
>lighter as well (got three of 'em, actually) yet I don't smoke. I use 'em
>to light the barbecue grill.

I know a bunch of non-smokers with lighters. They're just pyros. They use them
for lighting creamer on fire in the youth group room.

Hallucinating Elvis Lady

Sep 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/7/99
endless, nameless wrote:

> one of my friends is a smoker and a pyro. he melts plastic, and
> sets light to things, and stuff. but he wouldn't lend me his
> cigarette the other night so i could burn myself. the hypocrite.

How is that hypocrisy? The guy obviously wants to hurt INANIMATE objects, not
objects that could and would say "ouch".

LOL, but that is quite the quotable thing. Kyle, interested in this little bit?

Diane, who's really going right now
--
Diane Aguilar
http://sites.netscape.net/citygirl7609/

endless, nameless

Sep 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/8/99
Dagny Scott wrote:

> >So, just because he has a lighter, he's automatically a smoker? I have a
> >lighter as well (got three of 'em, actually) yet I don't smoke. I use 'em
> >to light the barbecue grill.
>
> I know a bunch of non-smokers with lighters. They're just pyros. They use them
> for lighting creamer on fire in the youth group room.

one of my friends is a smoker and a pyro. he melts plastic, and

sets light to things, and stuff. but he wouldn't lend me his
cigarette the other night so i could burn myself. the hypocrite.

Jordan S. Bassior

Sep 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/8/99
Dagny said:

>I know a bunch of non-smokers with lighters. They're just pyros. They use
>them for lighting creamer on fire in the youth group room.

A-ha! Now we know what happened to Stephen's school's bathroom :D

Jordan S. Bassior

Sep 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/8/99
Alli said:

>one of my friends is a smoker and a pyro. he melts plastic, and
>sets light to things, and stuff. but he wouldn't lend me his
>cigarette the other night so i could burn myself. the hypocrite.

Why did you want to burn yourself, Alli?

endless, nameless

Sep 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/8/99
Hallucinating Elvis Lady wrote:

> endless, nameless wrote:
>
> > one of my friends is a smoker and a pyro. he melts plastic, and
> > sets light to things, and stuff. but he wouldn't lend me his
> > cigarette the other night so i could burn myself. the hypocrite.
>
> How is that hypocrisy? The guy obviously wants to hurt INANIMATE objects, not
> objects that could and would say "ouch".

i wouldn't say "ouch". ok, so i was drunk, but i still knew
approximately what i was doing. ;) my self-harm problems are
not completely gone yet. ;)

endless, nameless

Sep 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/8/99
"Jordan S. Bassior" wrote:

> Alli said:
>
> >one of my friends is a smoker and a pyro. he melts plastic, and
> >sets light to things, and stuff. but he wouldn't lend me his
> >cigarette the other night so i could burn myself. the hypocrite.
> >

> Why did you want to burn yourself, Alli?

i like that sort of thing. and after a few drinks common sense
kind of dissipates... ie, we had a fire going, i could have
used that. lol. ;)

<Affinity>

Sep 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/8/99

Dagny Scott wrote:

> >So, just because he has a lighter, he's automatically a smoker? I have a
> >lighter as well (got three of 'em, actually) yet I don't smoke. I use 'em
> >to light the barbecue grill.
>

> I know a bunch of non-smokers with lighters. They're just pyros. They use them
> for lighting creamer on fire in the youth group room.

Im a smoker without a lighter.. so go figure..
--

___
/\ \

\/__/ Daria Code:
Ap(new) DT's (huh?) Wl Q-- FN^F1
O++ -1+(saving throw) Oa(ll the above) m+++ c+++ MVX C5X
F BB-- FCQ -DT-- (i)q+ fn

<Affinity>

Sep 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/8/99

endless, nameless wrote:

> Dagny Scott wrote:
> >

> > >So, just because he has a lighter, he's automatically a smoker? I have a
> > >lighter as well (got three of 'em, actually) yet I don't smoke. I use 'em
> > >to light the barbecue grill.
> >
> > I know a bunch of non-smokers with lighters. They're just pyros. They use them
> > for lighting creamer on fire in the youth group room.
>

> one of my friends is a smoker and a pyro. he melts plastic, and
> sets light to things, and stuff. but he wouldn't lend me his
> cigarette the other night so i could burn myself. the hypocrite.

erm.. why would you want to go do a silly thing like burn yourself with a
cigarette?Hell, if your into self mutilation try acid and leave the cigs for us
smokers..

William Fowler

Sep 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/8/99
Greg Pallis wrote:

> >This has already been done in fanfic... or at least hinted at. Can't
> remember
> >the title of the story but I *know* I've seen this somewhere. If anyone
> knows
> >the one I mean please post the title here.
>

> Friends Can be So Alarming. Dunno who wrote it.

Yeah, that's the one.

endless, nameless

Sep 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/8/99
"" wrote:

> endless, nameless wrote:

> > > I know a bunch of non-smokers with lighters. They're just pyros. They use them
> > > for lighting creamer on fire in the youth group room.
> >
> > one of my friends is a smoker and a pyro. he melts plastic, and
> > sets light to things, and stuff. but he wouldn't lend me his
> > cigarette the other night so i could burn myself. the hypocrite.
> >

> erm.. why would you want to go do a silly thing like burn yourself with a
> cigarette?

why not? it's less silly than *smoking* the thing, for fuck's
sake! :)

>Hell, if your into self mutilation try acid and leave the cigs for us
> smokers..

yeah, you're in the middle of a wood and you just happen to
stumble upon some acid. ;P

Dagny Scott

Sep 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/8/99
>>I know a bunch of non-smokers with lighters. They're just pyros. They use
>>them for lighting creamer on fire in the youth group room.
>
>A-ha! Now we know what happened to Stephen's school's bathroom :D

No... that was Jake. Our bathroom hasn't lit on fire yet, luckily. Since I'd be
blamed for it. Because they can, and I'm expendable: that is to say, not in any
sports.

Matthias Benkmann

Sep 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/8/99
On Tue, 07 Sep 1999 00:15:41 GMT, Tice Rust <rus...@jmu.edu> wrote:

>In article <19990906182309...@ng-fs1.aol.com>,
> jsba...@aol.com (Jordan S. Bassior) wrote:
>> Matthias Benkmann said:
>>
>> >In what episode? MSB
>>
>> "Road Worriers", I think.

I've just rewatched it. It has a smoking monkey in SSW but besides
that, no cigarettes.

>And the cough reappears in a lot of subsequent Trent episodes, too.
>Then, he has that lighter to hold up concert-goer style at Jane's track
>meet in "See Jane Run".

Dammit, why does everyone take you for a smoker if you have a lighter.
Happened to me a couple of times already. I carry a lighter in my
pocket all the time because it is very handy sometimes like when the
waiter forgot to light the candle at your table and whenever I take it
out, people get this look and say "I didn't know you were a smoker."
MSB

p.s.: Whenever a smoker asks me "Do you have fire?" I answer
"Yeah, but I ain't givin' you any." Being able to do this makes it
worth carrying a lighter around.

Jordan S. Bassior

Sep 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/9/99
Dagny said:

>No... that was Jake. Our bathroom hasn't lit on fire yet, luckily. Since I'd
>be blamed for it. Because they can, and I'm expendable: that is to say, not in
>any sports.

Plus you haven't built any porches. Or Porsches, for that matter.

Dagny Scott

Sep 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/9/99
>Plus you haven't built any porches. Or Porsches, for that matter.

I like Porsches. I think the youth group should start building porsches for the
underpriveleged. They can start with me, I'm obviously underpriveleged
because... uuh...my mother never gave me a credit card at the mall and said
"Don't spend more than $500" (like Connie's...) and she makes me eat cheap
rotten food from Save -a-Lot

Jordan S. Bassior

Sep 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/10/99
Dagny Scott said:

>I like Porsches. I think the youth group should start building porsches for
>the underpriveleged.

Well ... I already have three porches, including a second floor deck, so if you
come into my neck of my woods build me a Porsche, ok?

>and she makes me eat cheap
>rotten food from Save -a-Lot

Ooh ... are there like maggots squirming in it?

MarieRoss

Sep 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/10/99
>Dagny said:
>
>>the thing you've got to remember is that this is a suburban school, and
>while
>>drug use is present, it is rarely obvious and doesn't occur in public, at
>>least at school, or the pizza parlor, two places Daria is most likely to be
>(this
>>is about Daria, remember)...

How are things different? Are there cameras in the rest rooms now? I certainly
went on in my school.

>Yes. And Daria's personality is such that it would be very out of character
>for
>her to seek drugs out. The only way I can see her getting into a situation
>where she would encounter them would be 1) if one of her friends was really
>messing themselves up with drugs, but that's a VERY dark sort of story if
>done
>seriously rather than in After-School Special mode, or 2) if Daria had to
>descend into a Den of Iniquity (skeevy hangout sort of place) for some plot
>related reason (which could be funny).

The clubs she and Jane go to to see Trent play in probably have their share of
drugs. But unless the users are incredibly stupid, you have to know wht to look
for. I can't see where anything we've seen in Daria's life could have really
clued her in.

>>I think that "uuh... we're talking about us" guy in
>>"Esteemsters" was a little "out there", so it's pretty much that drug use
>>occurs, but not necessarily in the circle of the main characters.
>
>Of the main circle of characters, in terms of drug use:
>
>Daria ... no way.
>
>Jane ... she's probably experimented at some point, but she would never do it
>around Daria.
>
>Trent ... he's almost definitely experimented, and could be smoking pot (it
>would suit his personality), but again, he would avoid doing this around
>Daria.
>
>Quinn ... no way. Her morals are rather similar to Daria's in most regards.
>
>Jake and Helen ... we KNOW that they did drugs in their hippie phase, it's
>been
>mentioned in more than one episode.
>
>The FC ... they would do anything that seemed "cool", but as Dagny pointed
>out,
>in their circle, drugs wouldn't be "cool". I could easily see Stacy getting
>into drugs, though.
>
>Jodie, Mack ... no way.
>
>Kevin, Brittany ... Probably not, but if they did who would be able to tell
>the
>difference?
>
>Andrea ... definitely at risk. We know she drinks, and is probably not a
>happy
>person.
>
>Upchuck ... probably not.
>
>Tom ... we don't know enough about him to be sure, but probably not.
>
>>Also, people trying to be "cool" in a suburban setting like the fashion club
>>rarely use drugs as a means to that end. That would cut into their money for
>>a new spring wardrobe, anyway. And do you see the way those junkies dress?
>>Eww...

The FC definately would not be the type to do drugs... It's the cash issue,
plus have you noticed how druggies look in general? Bloodshot eyes, sniffing,
smelling like weed... not the image they're going for... maybe later, in
college they might get in to some rec. drugs like coke when they start to
realize how empty their lives are.
As for Jane and Trent, I agree that they probably experimented a bit, it would
have been easy.
Why would Daria and Quinn do something that their parents did? That would be
like so uncool...
Kev and Brittney, and Mack and Jodie probably do drink beer. All the football
players (and their girlfriends) did in my school, anyway.
UpChuck? Yeah, right, he'd be the one smoking the fake oregano joint and
getting so high...
Andrea? Wouldn't surprise me...

>Yeah. When they get older they might get into "uppers", up to and including
>cocaine, for the weight loss and overall perkiness effect. Stacy and Tiffany,
>especially Stacy, would be the ones at risk here.

For the record, Jordan, Coke is not an upper... it's actually a downer which is
why you're not supposed to drink if you do it, being as alcohol is a downer too
and the two together supposedly pose a risk to your heart... even if you're
young and healthy. (Can you tell I had a lot of friends in HS who were
druggies?)
No recreational drug (I am not talking about Heroin, angeldust, pcp, acid,
etc.) that I can think of makes you perky... that's a myth... Mostly what they
do is make you not care for awhile but it's fleeting and it all comes back down
doubled. Frankly, I never understood the craze for most of the rec. drugs... it
was mostly hype and a waste of money... A bottle of vodka was always much more
effective and cheaper...

Marie

"I quote others in order to better express my own self." -Montaigne

MarieRoss

Sep 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/10/99
>> erm.. why would you want to go do a silly thing like burn yourself with a
>> cigarette?
>
>why not? it's less silly than *smoking* the thing, for fuck's
>sake! :)
>
>>Hell, if your into self mutilation try acid and leave the cigs for us
>> smokers..
>
>yeah, you're in the middle of a wood and you just happen to
>stumble upon some acid. ;P
>
>--
>·•alli•·

I had a friend in school who used candle wax... no permanent scars that way...
Of course, I knew another girl who used to carve boys names and things into her
arms, legs, stomach, etc with a razor blade... She got locked away in an
institution... I think she's still there...

Marie

"When I was born I did lament and cry
And now each day doth shew the reason why." -Richard Watkyns

MarieRoss

Sep 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/10/99
Tarvok said:

>Not really. MTV's doing the censoring, remember? All sex, but no drugs
>and rock and roll. ;p

What sex? Who had sex? Where? When? Damn, I missed that episode!
Wow, Jordan, you were finally right...
;)

Marie

"Sex is the great amateur art." -David Cort

MarieRoss

Sep 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/10/99
>>>If Amanda Lane was any more relaxed, she'd be in a coma. :-)
>>
>>I think that the sister with the parrot (sorry, forgot her name, too lazy to
>>look it up, blah blah) could use to be a little more relaxed "Hey, man,
>forget
>>about the volcano, here, smoke some weed"
>>
>>"hey, what volcano?"
>
>I'll buy that. If anyone needs relaxing, it's Penny. Anyone who's so
>tightly wound that they don't even notice they're pouring themselves a
>glass of silver nitrate *needs* some mind-altering chemicals. :-)

Glitterberries for all!!!

Jordan S. Bassior

Sep 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/10/99
Marie Ross said:

>How are things different? Are there cameras in the rest rooms now? I
>certainly went on in my school.

I think Dagny's point was that Lawndale isn't the sort of school where you
could hang out in full view of everyone smoking pot or worse. Among other
things, it's run by a paranoid fond of snap inspections.

>The clubs she and Jane go to to see Trent play in probably have their share
>of drugs. But unless the users are incredibly stupid, you have to know wht to
>look for. I can't see where anything we've seen in Daria's life could have
really
>clued her in.

Well, Daria is a very perce