The Worst TV Commercials in America

Steven L.

Aug 13, 2008, 12:10:43 AM8/13/08
My vote: The time-traveling "Back to the Future" style commercials.

http://www.slate.com/id/2197146/

--
Steven L.
Email: sdli...@earthlinkNOSPAM.net

Captain Infinity

Aug 13, 2008, 6:06:53 AM8/13/08
Once Upon A Time,
Steven L. wrote:

>My vote: The time-traveling "Back to the Future" style commercials.
>
>http://www.slate.com/id/2197146/

My vote: that one that always comes on at dinnertime featuring a "doctor"
talking about how wonderful it was that a woman got her "pap". Good god,
why do I have to hear about someone's "pap"? Weren't yeast infections and
"feminine odor" enough? What's next, warnings about smegma buildup?

**
Captain Infinity

William December Starr

Aug 14, 2008, 5:09:12 AM8/14/08
In article <Uf6dnbu0K4hfwz_V...@earthlink.com>,
"Steven L." <sdli...@earthlink.net> said:

> My vote: The time-traveling "Back to the Future" style commercials.
>
> http://www.slate.com/id/2197146/

Maybe not the worst, but the ones that currently bug me the most:
the Coors "We have a *Code Blue*!!!" ads that run endlessly during
baseball games. Morons acting like they're getting free crack
cocaine because they now have the opportunity to buy cold beer in
a bar.

-- wds

holo

Aug 14, 2008, 7:38:45 AM8/14/08

"William December Starr" <wds...@panix.com> wrote in message

I dislike the Burger King 'Freakout' campaign on so many levels. For those
unfamiliar, BK tells customers on hidden camera that the Whopper has been
discontinued and records their disgruntled reaction.

An ad concept of people freaking out over a fast chain discontinuing an
item? Rather than making me want to go to the restaurant, I consider that
some people really need to re-examine their priorities.

Given that BK goes with the freak-out concept, it might behoove them to
show clips of people who actually - like - freak out. The reactions from
mild to moderate displeasure. They would have been more honest if they
called it their 'mildly annoyed' campaign.

tomcervo

Aug 14, 2008, 8:07:34 AM8/14/08
On Aug 14, 7:38�am, "holo" <gra...@gmail.com> wrote:
> "William December Starr" <wdst...@panix.com> wrote in messagenews:g80sno$gn$1...@panix2.panix.com...
>
> > In article <Uf6dnbu0K4hfwz_VnZ2dnUVZ_g2dn...@earthlink.com>,

> > "Steven L." <sdlit...@earthlink.net> said:
>
> >> My vote: �The time-traveling "Back to the Future" style commercials.
>
> >>http://www.slate.com/id/2197146/
>
> > Maybe not the worst, but the ones that currently bug me the most:
> > the Coors "We have a *Code Blue*!!!" ads that run endlessly during
> > baseball games. �Morons acting like they're getting free crack
> > cocaine because they now have the opportunity to buy cold beer in
> > a bar.
>
> �I dislike the Burger King 'Freakout' campaign on so many levels. For those
> unfamiliar, BK tells customers on hidden camera that the Whopper has been
> discontinued and records their disgruntled reaction.
>
> �An ad concept of people freaking out over a fast chain discontinuing an
> item? Rather than making me want to go to the restaurant, I consider that
> some people really need to re-examine their priorities.
>
> �Given that BK goes with the freak-out concept, it might behoove them to
> show clips of people who actually - like - �freak out. The reactions from
> mild to moderate displeasure. They would have been more honest if they
> called it their 'mildly annoyed' campaign.

The med company that specializes in catheters. Really. A woman comes
on and tells you what a trial it is having to wash and sterilize her
catheters because insurance doesn't pay for them--but ___________
does!

That and American Express: Get our card or endure a cavity check/have
Germans laugh at you. In the first example, a cavity check may be
preferable to dealing with American Express; a novelist recounted the
experience of having them cancel his card because they couldn't
contact him--he was in the Sudan at the time.

In the second example, German laughter means nothing to me:
http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/5991/

Anim8rFSK

Aug 14, 2008, 4:08:56 PM8/14/08
In article <g80sno$gn$1...@panix2.panix.com>,

How about the one where the guy is shopping in the produce aisle and his
wife calls on the cell and tells him that tonight she wants to get
'really creative' with salads and her first big idea is:

cheese!

Oh my God! How can you possibly get more creative than adding CHEESE????

What the hell is her idea of a non creative salad, just grazing in the
field?

--
Multiple root canals; hopped up on multiple pain drugs.

It's an explanation, not an excuse!

Wally Sevits

Aug 14, 2008, 4:08:49 PM8/14/08
On Thu, 14 Aug 2008 05:07:34 -0700 (PDT), tomcervo <tomc...@aol.com>
wrote:

>That and American Express: Get our card or endure a cavity check/have
>Germans laugh at you. In the first example, a cavity check may be
>preferable to dealing with American Express; a novelist recounted the
>experience of having them cancel his card because they couldn't
>contact him--he was in the Sudan at the time.
>
>In the second example, German laughter means nothing to me:
>http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/5991/

The one with the Germans misses its mark if it is supposed to show how
you can avoid looking stupid with American Express cards. The woman
with the Amex waits until the Germans have left, laughing, before she
produces the card and offers to pay the bill. No demonstrable
advantage to using the American Express card is presented.

aroberts

Aug 14, 2008, 10:12:26 PM8/14/08

"Steven L." <sdli...@earthlink.net> wrote in message

Bush's Beans, where everyone at bean-boy's cookout is astounded that he
doesn't want--gasp!--to have baked beans. The hapless wife and guests can
only bump into each other and gape helplessly, so complete is their despair.
Finally, Jay heroically alleviates their misery by announcing that he is
going to partake of "grillin' beans". Ha, ha. Jay really had them going
there--he's such a kidder.

The family dog, Duke (apparently now rehabilitated from his former larcenous
behavior), comforts himself by declaring that it would be "crazy" for Jay to
not want beans. The combination of the intelligence-insulting concept,
terrible copy, stilted delivery and the CG animated mouth of an unendearing
dog makes for one of the worst, most amateurish commercials in America.

aroberts

Aug 14, 2008, 10:23:16 PM8/14/08

"Steven L." <sdli...@earthlink.net> wrote in message

One more: Vince and ShamWow. A great argument for a needle-exchange
program. Somewhere, a New York dumpster is missing a resident.

holo

Aug 14, 2008, 9:43:28 PM8/14/08

"aroberts" <a-rob...@comcast.net> wrote in message

> One more: Vince and ShamWow. A great argument for a needle-exchange
> program. Somewhere, a New York dumpster is missing a resident.

Is that the bearded guy who screams out his pitch?

I'm generally opposed to capital punishment but I'd make an exception in
his case.

jewahe

Aug 14, 2008, 9:51:02 PM8/14/08

That's Billy Mays...

Vince is the annoying guy who wears the headset.

--
JWH

jewahe

Aug 14, 2008, 9:54:31 PM8/14/08
Steven L. wrote:
> My vote: The time-traveling "Back to the Future" style commercials.
>
> http://www.slate.com/id/2197146/

Is it a law that cell phone companies have to have the most annoying
commercials?

Chad, the 4 hapless cell phone geeks, and their wizard were old months ago.

The "milky minutes" commercial was slightly amusing at first, but it is
started to wear a bit then now.

And the whole "confessions of a cell phone" are just plain ridiculous.

--
JWH

Obveeus

Aug 14, 2008, 10:03:32 PM8/14/08

"jewahe" <j.ha...@comcast.net> wrote:

> Is it a law that cell phone companies have to have the most annoying
> commercials?
>
> Chad, the 4 hapless cell phone geeks, and their wizard were old months
> ago.

I'm kinda looking forward to the future commercial where the hapless Verizon
guy tells Chad that his company, AllTel, got bought up by Verizon and now he
(Chad) is unemployed.

Anim8rFSK

Aug 14, 2008, 10:31:02 PM8/14/08
In article <QLidnZpFF69WfDnV...@comcast.com>,
jewahe <j.ha...@comcast.net> wrote:

> Steven L. wrote:
> > My vote: The time-traveling "Back to the Future" style commercials.
> >
> > http://www.slate.com/id/2197146/
> >

> Is it a law that cell phone companies have to have the most annoying
> commercials?
>
> Chad, the 4 hapless cell phone geeks, and their wizard were old months ago.

Oooooo yeah.

> The "milky minutes" commercial was slightly amusing at first, but it is
> started to wear a bit then now.

At least the family is ridiculing the mother in the new one.

> And the whole "confessions of a cell phone" are just plain ridiculous.

Yeah, it took me like 3 of those to even realize what was happening; I
thought they were twins or something.

Tony Calguire

Aug 14, 2008, 11:15:40 PM8/14/08
"aroberts" <a-rob...@comcast.net> wrote in news:e5idncKIN-
HfQDnVnZ2dn...@comcast.com:

> One more: Vince and ShamWow. A great argument for a needle-exchange
> program. Somewhere, a New York dumpster is missing a resident.

If you think that's bad, check out Univision sometime... he does the same
pitch, in the worst-accented Spanish you've ever heard!

Tony Calguire

Aug 14, 2008, 11:17:07 PM8/14/08
Anim8rFSK <ANIM...@cox.net> wrote in

>> The "milky minutes" commercial was slightly amusing at first, but it
>> is started to wear a bit then now.
>
> At least the family is ridiculing the mother in the new one.

Does anybody know who plays the mother? She looks kinda familiar... Bess
Armstrong, maybe?

William December Starr

Aug 15, 2008, 12:46:23 AM8/15/08
In article <g82o5m$svj$1...@registered.motzarella.org>,
"Obveeus" <Obv...@aol.com> said:

Even better: "You work for me now."

-- wds

Default User

Aug 15, 2008, 12:25:30 PM8/15/08
jewahe wrote:

> Steven L. wrote:
> > My vote: The time-traveling "Back to the Future" style commercials.
> >
> > http://www.slate.com/id/2197146/
> >

> Is it a law that cell phone companies have to have the most annoying
> commercials?

There've actually been a couple of the Verizon commercials that I
thought were amusing.

Back around Christmas, they had the girl who got the pony instead of a
phone. "Does he bite?" "Yeah!" Then if you look close, her fingers are
all covered with bandaids. Gold.

Recently, the one with spooky neighbor who comes over to tell them
about the previous owners going mad over the dead zone. When informed
that all is ok, "Well, you've got crabgrass!"

Brian

won't shut up.

Wally Sevits

Aug 15, 2008, 1:50:10 PM8/15/08
On 15 Aug 2008 00:46:23 -0400, wds...@panix.com (William December
Starr) wrote:

..."and I brought the chucks!"

Ubiquitous

Aug 19, 2008, 10:00:08 PM8/19/08
sdli...@earthlink.net wrote:

>My vote: The time-traveling "Back to the Future" style commercials.
>http://www.slate.com/id/2197146/

They forgot to include the one with the obnoxious girl pestering
people so she can show off her unarms... "Hey taxi! PYSCHE!",
"Hi five! I don't even KNOW him!" ad nasium

--
It is simply breathtaking to watch the glee and abandon with which
the liberal media and the Angry Left have been attempting to turn

Anim8rFSK

Aug 19, 2008, 11:08:55 PM8/19/08
In article <JrOdnbuhuLA15zbV...@comcast.com>,
web...@polaris.net (Ubiquitous) wrote:

> sdli...@earthlink.net wrote:
>
> >My vote: The time-traveling "Back to the Future" style commercials.
> >http://www.slate.com/id/2197146/
>
> They forgot to include the one with the obnoxious girl pestering
> people so she can show off her unarms... "Hey taxi! PYSCHE!",
> "Hi five! I don't even KNOW him!" ad nasium

Hey, I started one of the 'worst commercial ever' threads with that one.

Ubiquitous

Sep 23, 2008, 5:07:32 AM9/23/08
ANIM...@cox.net wrote:
> web...@polaris.net (Ubiquitous) wrote:

>> They forgot to include the one with the obnoxious girl pestering
>> people so she can show off her unarms... "Hey taxi! PYSCHE!",
>> "Hi five! I don't even KNOW him!" ad nasium
>
>Hey, I started one of the 'worst commercial ever' threads with that one.

I noticed the "tramp stamp bride" one is back. What a total skank.

David Johnston

Feb 22, 2023, 3:01:56 AM2/22/23
I am repelled by any commercial containing talking food.