The Mentos FAQ V1.0 (final)

bacardi

Sep 14, 1994, 2:45:26 AM9/14/94
_
| |
_ __ ___ ___ _ __ | |_ ___ ___ (tm)
| '_ ` _ \ / _ \| '_ \ | __| / _ \ / __|
|_| |_| |_| \___||_| |_| \__| \___/ |___/

The Mentos FAQ V1.0 (9/14/94 final)
(c) 1994 Heath Doerr doe...@expert.cc.purdue.edu

[*=Updated sections; ^=New sections]

Section 1: Commercial Synopsis*
1a: Commercial History, Origin, Explanation
1b: Jingle Lyrics
Section 2: The Candies*
2a: Packaging*
2b: Ingredients*
2c: Manufacturial Data
Section 3: Miscellaneous^
Section 4: Credits*
Section 5: History*

Section 1: Commercial Synopsis

1. The Broken Shoe (or 'High Heel Treachery')

A sassy young lady sashays past an open air French style cafe,
gaining the attention of a business man, and at the same time
interrupting his newspaper enjoyment. As she glides past, a
footwear malfunction occurs, leaving her sans one heel. She
reaches for her secret freshness inducer, Mentos. After
administering a piece of the magic elixir of nuttiness, she
breaks off the remaining spike, proclaiming to the world her
resourcefulness, and endless freshness. The man in the cafe
is undoubtedly impressed.

2. The Fake Photographer (or 'Those Crazy Kids I')

A young lad and his pals file through a mob of fanatics and
paparazzi, in order to get a closer look at their favorite star.
However, their adventure takes them over the legal boundaries
of said activity, which is then pointed out to them by the
authorities. After a bit of contemplation, and a hearty dose
of freshness ala Mentos, our hero cunningly disguises himself
as a member of the media, and breaks through the defenses of the
establishment.

3. The Airport Tram Ride (or 'Baggage Claim Blues')

A young woman finds herself in a bit of a pinch, as she discovers
that she has packed too much, and her bags are a most bothersome
burden. But she has no fear, it is a burden which is not
insurmountable, especially with Mentos on her side. She unsheathes
her glimmering blue tube of freshness, and holds it out stretched,
like the mighty Excalibur, and although shortening it by 1/14,
this weapon has not lost its power. She consumes the pellet of
perkiness, and decrees that she and only she shall be the one to
ride the baggage cart, and all the other most unfresh patrons of
the airport shall bear the full weight of their baggage. Her
friends cheer, and dream of one day achieving a freshness such
as hers.

4. The Car Movers (or 'Overalls and Mentos')

Only an unfresh person would park his car in such a way as to make
his fellow motorist unable to go about her merry way, but that's
just what our heroine is faced with in this episode of the Mentos
saga. After an exchange of dirty looks, and communication of the
parkee's need for promptness, the young girl contemplates her
dilemma with the aid of a freshmaker. She has a revelation,
and summons what looks to be the Pittsburgh Steelers offensive
line from a construction site across the way. With surprisingly
little convincing, the barbarians lift her Fiat into the road, and
as she thanks them she glances in the way of her nemesis, only to
add an exclamation point to her freshness.

5. Evading Mom (or 'Psycho Mutant Killer Mom')

While enjoying a pleasant afternoon at the mall, a teen and his
companions suddenly spot one of their mothers. She raises her
umbrella, signifying that she has acquired her target, and means
to move in for the kill. Quickly searching his person, the teen
removes from his pocket the only thing to help him out of this
bind, Mentos. Thinking quickly, and now sporting fresh, clean
breath, he seizes a baseball cap from a nearby mannequin. The
perfect disguise! Placing it on his head in a diagonal pattern,
he strikes a pose and avoids his pursuer. She spots him again,
but this time only after entering the escalator. Knowing she has
been vanquished, mom shakes her weapon yet again, all the while
thinking, 'My son is sooo fresh!'

6. Through the Car (or 'The 3 Second Car Jacking')

There is little peace in the land of Mentos, as yet another teen
is faced with a distressing problem. While crossing the street, he
is separated from his friends, and nearly from his legs by an over
anxious motorist. Finding himself needing to traverse the street,
but without a normal means to do so, he again thanks his lucky
stars he remembered the freshmaker. His supply is reduced by one,
but his freshness is increased exponentially. Opening the rear
door, he climbs through the auto, while the driver looks over
his shoulder in astonishment. Upon exiting, the youth shrugs
at the motorist, Mentos in hand. Although a bit shaken, the
passenger acknowledges the care free youths with an approving
glance as he speeds away. "Wait till the wife hears of my brush
with freshness!"

7. The Backstage Crew (or 'Those Crazy Kids II')

In the final episode, once again the establishment has prevented
some teens from achieving their goal. At the backstage door to
a rock concert, our friends are star struck and must find a way
backstage to meet their idols, demonstrate their freshness, and
enjoy each others minty clean breath. Musical paraphernalia is
being unloaded, and with the aid of a bandanna, one teen slips
through the line undetected. At the last moment, a security guard
spots him, but instead of pouncing on him and beating him to a
bloody mess with his nightstick, he lets him go showing an
expression that could only mean one thing, "Those crazy kids!".
Bravo!

Commercial History, Origin, and Explanation:

Thanks to Jan Setje-Eilers (j...@expert.cc.purdue.edu), the
mystery of the Mentos commercials' origin has been solved. The
ads originated in Germany, and concrete proof of this has been
obtained. In 'The Three Second Car Jacking', the street the
incident takes place on is located in Munich, Germany. Also,
the characters of 'Psycho Mutant Killer Mom' are actors from a
sitcom taking place in Northern Germany. The mother, (incidentally,
whose last name is 'Teufel', which means Devil in German) is a
crazy character in the show, and one who would be avoided normally.
Anyone who has seen the sitcom, (i.e. Germans) would understand
this, but the American audience is understandably confused.

Note: The spots are run in English throughout the world.

Note 2: According to Chad Jones (cjo...@gse.ucla.edu), 'High Heel
Treachery' was filmed on the Third Street Promenade, a
shopping district in Santa Monica, CA. Also, 'The 3
Second Car Jacking' was filmed in Downtown Los Angeles.
Personally, I find it hard to believe that German actors
were flown to America to film commercials, but you can
draw your own conclusions. Be fresh, Chad!

Jingle lyrics:

'Doo doo doo, doo-doo, do-Wah!'

It doesn't matter what comes, fresh goes better with life,
and Mentos is fresh and full of life.

Nothing gets to you, staying fresh staying cool,
with Mentos, fresh and full of life.

Fresh goes better, Mentos freshness, fresh goes better
with Mentos, fresh and full of life!

Mentos, the freshmaker!

Section 2: The Candies

The candies themselves come in five varieties; 'Mint', 'Mixed
Fruit', 'Cinnamon', 'Strawberry', and 'Spearmint'. Taste and
color are drastically different between them, but in every other
way they are quite similar.

The shape of a Mentos candy is disklike, with an ellipsical
bulge in the middle. They measure 3/4" in diameter, and at their
largest point, 6/16" tall.

Net weight is reported as 1.3 OZ/37.5 g, but this was
impossible to confirm at the time of this writing.

Coloring of the Mint candies is a chalky light hue, that extends
throughout the entire candy. The fruit variety contains three
colors, purple (grape), yellow (lemon), and orange (orange).
Cinnamon and Strawberry have a reddish/pinkish hue, Cinnamon
being the darker of the two. Spearmint Mentos have a light
greenish coloration, and like all Mentos, possess a chalk-like
consistency.

The Mint flavor variety unsurprisingly taste like peppermint, and
could be considered to possess a breath freshening function as well
as a cool, menthol-like aftertaste. Mixed Fruit have none of these
properties, but are instead quite sweet. The differences between
the flavors contained in a mixed fruit package are small. Color
seems to be the only real distinguishable quality. Strawberry
are also sweet, but contain a light, and unmistakable strawberry
flavor. Cinnamon do indeed taste like cinnamon, possessing a
semi-cinnamon burn feeling often found in strong cinnamon gum.
Spearmint are closely related to Mint, and are lucky enough to
serve as a breath freshener as well.

Mentos' texture is not uniform. The candies have a thin crunchy
shell and when chewed, disintegrate into a gum like consistency.
If appropriate, they then release their breath freshening
characteristics.

Packaging:

Mentos candies come in cylinder shaped 'rolls', with 14 included
in each roll. The label consists of 'mentos' written in block
letters, covering approximately 2/3 of the roll lengthwise.
Next to this logo is the flavor identification, (i.e. 'mint' or
'mixed fruit') although flavor identification can be more readily
obtained from the background coloring of the label. Mint has a
misty bluish white photograph of many Mentos scattered about,
while mixed fruit has a more colorful representation of the same
shapes, including purple, orange, and yellow disks. Cinnamon
wrappers are similar, but are colored in a deep blood red.
Strawberry wrappers are a lighter, almost orangey red. Spearmint
follows Mint's lead with a clouded hue, this time more green than
blue.

It is important to note that the colors displayed on the package
are actually much more vibrant and deep than that of the actual
product. Do not be misled, all Mentos have a very light hue to
them, no matter what the flavor.

Ingredients:

Mint: sugar, glucose syrup, hydrogenated coconut oil,
gelatin, dextrin, natural flavor, corn starch,
gum arabic.

Mixed Fruit: sugar, glucose syrup, hydrogenated coconut oil,
gelatin, dextrin, natural and artificial flavor,
gum arabic, coloring.

Strawberry: sugar, glucose syrup, hydrogenated coconut oil,
citric acid, gelatin, dextrin, corn starch,
artificial flavor, gum arabic, coloring.

Cinnamon: sugar, glucose syrup, hydrogenated coconut oil,
gelatin, dextrin, corn starch, cinnamon, natural
and artificial flavors, salt, gum arabic,
artificial colors (yellow 5, red 3, blue 2).

Spearmint: sugar, glucose syrup, hydrogenated coconut oil,
gelatin, dextrin, natural flavors, corn starch,
gum arabic, artificial color (blue 2).

For nutritional information, you can write to:

Nutritional Data
P.O. Box 18190
Erlanger, KY 41018

Manufacturer:

Mentos are made by Van Melle, Inc. and manufactured for
Van Melle by:

Van Melle
Breda / Holland

in Australia they are imported by:

Stuart Alexander & Co. Pty. Ltd.
62 Rosebery Ave.
Rosebery, N.S.W. 2018 Australia

Van Melle's corporate headquarters:

Van Melle, Inc.
Erlanger, KY 41018

Section 3: Miscellaneous

Item: According to Paulo A. Pereira (ol...@MIT.EDU), there is a sale
on Mentos at the CVS in Porter Sq., Cambridge, MA as this is
being written. Be fresh, and save a bundle!

Item: Mentos are $0.54 at the Purdue Student Union.

Item: I am currently negotiating with the Psychology department
here at Purdue, in an attempt to obtain a research grant for
the purposes of studying what I have termed 'the freshness
effect' caused by consuming Mentos brand candies. Although there
seems to be no mind altering substances contained in Mentos,
individuals suddenly become aroused, inventive, and loose all
regard for the norms of society a short time after using
them. I've asked for $23,729.

Item: According to Jeffrey F. Brent (lo...@acpub.duke.edu), Mentos
also come in Licorice or 'Lakrits' flavor. Some Danish friends
apparently possessed these beauties, and (as far as I know)
the states have not been graced with them yet. They had a
white shell, and a black center. A black wrapper shielded
them from the elements, and they [you guessed it] tasted
like Licorice. Jeff also claims to be working on a Macintosh
arcade style game called "Mentos(R) in the Hands of Torgo(TM)"
Be afraid. Be very afraid.

Section 4: Credits

Originator, and maintainer of the Mentos FAQ:

Heath Doerr (doe...@expert.cc.purdue.edu)

Submission credits:

Ron Bauerle (bau...@crypt.erie.ge.com)
Jeffrey F. Brent (lo...@acpub.duke.edu)
Emily Cox (ze...@gorn.iuma.com)
Figlet, the ASCII font creator.
Todd A. Gibson (tgi...@lookout.ecte.uswc.uswest.com)
Alan Jaffray (ajaf...@midway.uchicago.edu)
Chad Jones (cjo...@gse.ucia.edu)
Richard N. Kitchen (da...@cleveland.Freenet.Edu)
Paulo A. Pereira (ol...@MIT.EDU)
Jan Setje-Eilers (j...@expert.cc.purdue.edu)
Andrew R. Shulman (an...@world.std.com)
spa...@titan.ucs.umass.edu
Genna Totten (ded...@rhf.bradley.edu)

Well wishers:

Andrea (ap...@cas.org)
hsap...@clark.net
Jennifer (jen...@netexas.com)
John Kilburd (jo...@cephas.ISRI.UNLV.EDU)
Allan McKillop (Allan.M...@Eng.Sun.COM)
Synth Oberheim (sy...@yuri.abq.nm.us)
Nelson Tang (ta...@sd.inri.com)
Dan A. Thompson (da...@austin.ibm.com)
Anthony M. Vervoor (fals...@netcom.com)
Kelly G. Willis (f...@mace.cc.purdue.edu)
Tyler K. Wong (neo...@netcom.com)

Section 5: History

9/2/94: V.01 (beta)
9/6/94: V.5
9/7/94: V.9
9/14/94: V1.0 (final)

MENTOS: THE FRESHMAKER
--
|~~~| Heath Doerr | "My only regret in life is
|* | Purdue University | that I did not drink more
| | West Lafayette, IN | Champagne."
<..=~ doe...@expert.cc.purdue.edu | - John Keynes

stal...@world.std.com

Sep 14, 1994, 12:51:54 PM9/14/94
Excellent FAQ, Heath! When skimming the group with my newsreader's "Next
Unread" function, I suddenly saw the giant Mentos logo in ASCII-art form.
I just can't get enough of this Mentos-mania!

Just a side note - you do give two locations for the "3-Second Car Jacking"
shoot. Which shall I make my pilgrimage to - Munich or LA?

Also, if anyone could give info leading to a Mentos T-shirt, baseball cap
or other such cultish merchandise, I would be most grateful to receive it.

|+| M a r k |+|

Robt_Martin

Sep 15, 1994, 6:24:46 AM9/15/94
Though I despise Mentos <tm> and all they stand for, I must tender my
kudos for a fine job on the FAQ!

"Will Tender My Kudos For Food (not Mentos <tm>)"

--
"The climate of our culture is changing. Under these new rains, new suns,
small things grow great, and what was great grows small; whole species

danny burstein

Sep 15, 1994, 11:02:01 AM9/15/94
k<snip> the FAQ and lots of good stuff deleted <snip>

Anyone else get the impression these ads were designed for an area
outside the USA, and were then brought here and patially dubbed?

It would explain the lack of almost all dialog, and, perhap could be the
reason they are so, ahem, strange....

--
----------------------------------
-dan...@panix.com (or dbur...@mcimail.com)

jenster

Sep 15, 1994, 2:39:38 PM9/15/94

Love that FAQ! Here's my tv-commercial fantasy:

While sitting down and having a nice kitchen-table chat, a young woman
says to an older woman, "Mom, do you ever feel, well, not so fresh?"

"Why, yes dear," says the mother, but before she can utter another word...

'DOO DOO DOO, DOO-DOO, DOO-WAH!'

All our favorite Mentos icons (Broken Shoe woman, Backwards Cap Boy, and
the entire car-moving squad) start dancing through the kitchen!!!!

heehee

--Jennifer

Joseph Hernandez

Sep 15, 1994, 1:07:02 PM9/15/94
In article <356666$5...@expert.cc.purdue.edu>, bacardi
<doe...@expert.cc.purdue.edu> wrote:
> [Oodles and oodles of valuable Mentos information deleted.]
>
> Jan Setje-Eilers:

> obtained. In 'The Three Second Car Jacking', the street the
> incident takes place on is located in Munich, Germany. Also,
>
> Chad Jones:
> Also, 'The 3 Second Car Jacking' was filmed in Downtown Los Angeles.

I tend to agree with Chad Jones here. When I first saw the commercial for
Mentos "The Three Second Car Jacking", I was suprised to see one of the
buildings in the background. The tall building like remarkably similar to
the new First Interstate Bank Building in Downtown Los Angeles. Another
case could be made for the LA location is that the area is known as the
carjacking capital of the country. :) But then again, the sky did look to
blue to be LA. ;) Oh well!

MAKE FRESH, NOT WAR!

Joe (LONG LIVE MENTOS)
--
. . _____ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ . *
* . ./ |/ \/ \/ __\/ \/ \/ \ . + Joseph Hernandez

Ken Sorensen

Sep 15, 1994, 3:22:02 PM9/15/94
Maybe this should be in the FAQ...

Does Mentos have an expiration date? I want to purchase only *fresh*
freshmakers. :-)

Ken

Joe Bay

Sep 15, 1994, 3:57:26 PM9/15/94
dan...@panix.com (danny burstein) writes:

>Anyone else get the impression these ads were designed for an area
>outside the USA, and were then brought here and patially dubbed?

You know, ever since the book Subliminal Seduction by Eric Von Danniken,
patial dubbing has been illegal in the US. So they would have had to be
dubbed BEFORE being brought here.

Joe "Get me a Mentos<tm>, dammit!" Bay
--
2) Avoid needless embarassment. Practice the correct pronunciation of your
god's name in the privacy of your room before chanting it in public. Flash

Todd A Gibson

Sep 15, 1994, 2:56:44 PM9/15/94
In article <359nl9$h...@panix.com>, dan...@panix.com (danny burstein) writes:
|> k<snip> the FAQ and lots of good stuff deleted <snip>
|>

|> Anyone else get the impression these ads were designed for an area
|> outside the USA, and were then brought here and patially dubbed?
|>
|> It would explain the lack of almost all dialog, and, perhap could be the
|> reason they are so, ahem, strange....

I think that the unearthly quality of the commercials certainly contributes
to their popularity.

The commercials certainly illustrate the potential for encounters with
freshness. What about real-life encounters with freshness? Anyone
out there have any Mentos testimonials to share?

|> --
|> ----------------------------------
|> Knowledge may be power, but communications is the key
|> -dan...@panix.com (or dbur...@mcimail.com)

--
Todd A. Gibson
tgi...@lookout.ecte.uswc.uswest.com
"You boys playing cards?"

Craig Koler

Sep 15, 1994, 2:23:25 PM9/15/94

biohussy

Sep 15, 1994, 2:28:35 AM9/15/94
In article <359uvm$r...@agate.berkeley.edu> jtc...@OCF.Berkeley.EDU (Joseph
Hernandez) writes:

>In article <356666$5...@expert.cc.purdue.edu>, bacardi
><doe...@expert.cc.purdue.edu> wrote:
>>
>> Jan Setje-Eilers:
>> obtained. In 'The Three Second Car Jacking', the street the
>> incident takes place on is located in Munich, Germany. Also,

>> Chad Jones:
>> Also, 'The 3 Second Car Jacking' was filmed in Downtown Los Angeles.

> ...The tall building like remarkably similar to

>the new First Interstate Bank Building in Downtown Los Angeles. Another
>case could be made for the LA location is that the area is known as the
>carjacking capital of the country. :) But then again, the sky did look to
>blue to be LA. ;) Oh well!

The street signs were blue. I vote for L.A.

Terra

,//:, ,/ Check Out my Web Page! (under construction)
o:::::::;;/// http://www.reed.edu/~terra/index.html
>::::::::;;\\\ te...@ewald.mbi.ucla.edu
'''\\\' '\ te...@netcom.com

Daniel Nrtstein

Sep 15, 1994, 6:40:17 PM9/15/94
In article <35a8v6$j...@er2.rutgers.edu> b...@er2.rutgers.edu (Joe Bay) writes:
>dan...@panix.com (danny burstein) writes:
>
>>Anyone else get the impression these ads were designed for an area
>>outside the USA, and were then brought here and patially dubbed?
>
>You know, ever since the book Subliminal Seduction by Eric Von Danniken,
>patial dubbing has been illegal in the US. So they would have had to be
>dubbed BEFORE being brought here.

What in good grief does "patial" mean???????????????????

dan

Len Freedman

Sep 15, 1994, 5:40:36 PM9/15/94
stal...@world.std.com wrote:
: Excellent FAQ, Heath!

I concur. But that's not why I'm posting.

: Which shall I make my pilgrimage to - Munich or LA?

Well, if you're planning to slide through the back seat of someone's car,
Munich is a better choice. In LA you stand a good chance of getting shot.
(But your Honor! I _showed_ him my Mentos! He should have known I was
only fresh and full of life!)

--
Len Freedman (le...@netcom.com)

Michael Solinas

Sep 16, 1994, 4:45:57 AM9/16/94
bacardi (doe...@expert.cc.purdue.edu) mumbled something like:
: The Mentos FAQ V1.0 (9/14/94 final)

: (c) 1994 Heath Doerr doe...@expert.cc.purdue.edu

: 5. Evading Mom (or 'Psycho Mutant Killer Mom')

: While enjoying a pleasant afternoon at the mall, a teen and his
: companions suddenly spot one of their mothers. She raises her

Oh. She's one of their MOTHERS! I assumed she was some archaic floozy
that the kid picked up in some bar for a quick night of mentos-induced,
alcohol inspired wildness, and he was having trouble ditching her the
next day.

Think about it. This makes far more sense.

--

Michael A. Solinas (msol...@netcom.com)
WWW: ftp://ftp.netcom.com/pub/msolinas/html/home.html

Elisabeth R Higgins

Sep 16, 1994, 10:33:47 AM9/16/94
In article <ckollerC...@netcom.com> cko...@netcom.com (Craig Koler) writes:

>BRAVO!
>

>--
> cko...@netcom.com

HEY! You forgot to quote the FAQ!!!

This is not a flame, tho, because I am caring and nurturing and
supportive.

Your Best Friend (SEE? I told you.)
I, Lesbian's Eighth Rage

(HEY! How do I make a .sig!?!?! Cause I have just been thinking of a lot
of really good ideas about the OJ Simpson trial and I want to put them
in there!!!)

Andrew Jeanes

Sep 15, 1994, 10:02:45 PM9/15/94
A True and Non-Ficticious* Mentos Story
(c) 1994 by Andrew Jeanes

Today I was buying textbooks at the university bookstore. I got to
the front of the line and the cashier asked "how will you be paying
for this?" Above her head there's a sign saying that you can pay with
cash, cheque, Visa, Amex or Interac. Naturally, I told her that I
would be paying with the giant stone coins of the island of Yap.

(Did you know that the Yap islanders had these *huge* circular stone
coins that were used as ceremonial currency? They were so big and
heavy that they had holes cut in the middle so two guys could carry
them around on long sticks. At the time that European explorers
discovered the island, they *still* hadn't come up with the idea of
the wheel. Right now every VCR on Yap is flashing 12:00 and nobody has
figured out how to work their new Durex Blenders yet.)

While the cashier was busy calling security, I had a chance to look
around at some of the fine products displayed near the cash. My eye
was caught by a large display of those Campus Kits you see in every
major educational institution everywhere. In addition to the usual
deodorant and hair care products, each package contained a roll of
Mentos. Seeing a Freshness situation in the offing, I seized the
nearest kit, popped one of the Mentos, and leaped over the cash to
freedom. I heard guns going off behind me, but fortunately the
bullets were all stopped by my new (and as yet unpaid for) copy of the
_Dictionary of Modern Critical Terms_.

It sure sounded like there were a lot of angry people running after
me--I didn't turn around to check but just threw my emergency stun
grenade and kept on running--I'm sure that deep down, however, they
were all secretly impressed by my obvious freshness.

MENTOS--Fresh and full of MSG!

--
*Well, almost. The store didn't really accept Visa, they just paid** me
to include that part.

**Not with the giant stone coins of the island of Yap, though.

Andrew Jeanes | aje...@chat.carleton.ca | Ottawa, Canada
"Now is steel 'twixt gut and bladder interposed!" -- BTF

Bill Newcomb

Sep 16, 1994, 11:10:24 AM9/16/94

Yes. November 14th. IT'S TIME!

You're welcome.

Bill Newcomb "Die to a general pizza delivery philosophy"
nu...@netcom.com -Dave Brennan

Michael R. Cirivello

Sep 16, 1994, 12:46:11 PM9/16/94
In article C...@netcom.com, msol...@netcom.com (Michael Solinas) writes:
>bacardi (doe...@expert.cc.purdue.edu) mumbled something like:
>: The Mentos FAQ V1.0 (9/14/94 final)
>: (c) 1994 Heath Doerr doe...@expert.cc.purdue.edu
>
>: 5. Evading Mom (or 'Psycho Mutant Killer Mom')
>
>: While enjoying a pleasant afternoon at the mall, a teen and his
>: companions suddenly spot one of their mothers. She raises her
>
>Oh. She's one of their MOTHERS! I assumed she was some archaic floozy
>that the kid picked up in some bar for a quick night of mentos-induced,
>alcohol inspired wildness, and he was having trouble ditching her the
>next day.
>
>Think about it. This makes far more sense.

Yea, but what about that umbrella she's waiving around??
EEwwwwwwwwwuuu!!!!

Synth Oberheim

Sep 16, 1994, 1:49:53 PM9/16/94

dan...@panix.com (danny burstein) writes:

danny> Anyone else get the impression these ads were designed for an
danny> area outside the USA, and were then brought here and patially
danny> dubbed? It would explain the lack of almost all dialog, and,
danny> perhap could be the reason they are so, ahem, strange....

You've got it right. The Mentos ads have a very European feel and were
most likely for the European market before someone brainstormed that
they could bring them over here and try them out on the American market.
You can see the result. :-) Positive or negative, it's most likely
selling candies, which is what they want ...

Aside from the ad "feeling" very European (it's hard to describe this
if you haven't seen much European TV yourself), there are some other
culture cues that don't look quite right to us Americans. Like that
businessman's gel'd-up bouffant in the "Missing Heel" episode. Or the
predominance of denim among the youths ... :-)

(BTW, if you want another example of a European ad very similar to the
Mentos campaign, check out the Lee Jeans ad where the boyfriend comes to
pick up his girlfriend, flowers in hand, and watches her bounce around
her bedroom trying to pull on her tight jeans ... the strong visual
narrative and humor content is *very* European.)

As for the "Carjacking" episode being filmed in LA, keep in mind that
many European production companies come over to the States for location
shooting, even though the ads are destined only to be shown in Europe.

synth oberheim .:::::. sy...@yuri.abq.nm.us sy...@kitsune.swcp.com
Scorpio: (Oct. 24 - Nov. 21) Deft conversational employment of the term
"akimbo" earns you thousands of tons of quality veal. - Ruby Wyner-Io

brent jackson

Sep 16, 1994, 3:39:20 PM9/16/94
...thus spake Elisabeth R Higgins ...
\\ HEY! You forgot to quote the FAQ!!!

\\
\\ This is not a flame, tho, because I am caring and nurturing and
\\ supportive.

flames can't be caring and supportive?

you must be a weenerbrane if you think that's true, but a socially
redeemable weenerbrane. with our support you could be a class-one
double special citizen after a mere month or two of intensive shock
therapy.

-brent

Jay C Jachimiak

Sep 17, 1994, 11:06:27 PM9/17/94
sy...@kitsune.swcp.com (Synth Oberheim) wrote:

> Aside from the ad "feeling" very European (it's hard to describe this
> if you haven't seen much European TV yourself), there are some other
> culture cues that don't look quite right to us Americans. Like that
> businessman's gel'd-up bouffant in the "Missing Heel" episode. Or the
> predominance of denim among the youths ... :-)

Hey, I have a gel'd-up bouffant, and I'm wearing denim, and my heel
is missing! I should be in Europe!

-Jay
jay...@panix.com
the "c" stands for "charisma"

Mike Weber

Sep 17, 1994, 11:39:26 PM9/17/94
Michael R. Cirivello (mr...@cas.org) wrote:

Being a foreigner to the U.S., the sex-crazed elderly lady
misunderstood someone's advice to "carry a rubbers". Someone she later
asked told her it was a word for "gloshes", which she mistook for
"umbrella".

--
"This is a test of the Emergency Broadcast System. This is only a test.
Had this been an actual emergency, you'd be writhing on the ground in

Timothy Verry

Sep 17, 1994, 2:23:14 PM9/17/94

I am made happy by this FAQ. I am sure the writer's work will not go
unrewarded. Oh the karma...

Are there any other legal minds out there who would care to join with me
in hammering out the details of the Freshness Defense? It seems that the
law and the norms of our society value Freshness above just about
anything else. And if we don't, we SHOULD.

Tim Verry
1L at University of Cincinnati

$$??$$??$$??$$??$$??$$??$$??$$??$$??$$??$$??$$??$$??$$??$$??$$??$$??$$??$$?

"It shall be a world without Slack, except that thou follow my profits".

from "Prophecy of the Subgenius, the Prescriptures - the Economicon of
Dobbs, Neumeronicus Neuronicus 56-88 Bank 18 Disc sq30 File 14, item #97,

or should I say: 56-88 Prph.Sub.Prs. EcDob. Neur.Neur 18: sq30-14 I97

0__ O__ O__ O__ O__ O__ O__ O__ O__ O__ O__ O__ O__ O__ O__ O__ O__ O__ O_/

Mike Weber

Sep 18, 1994, 11:34:45 PM9/18/94
Can someone repost the Mentos FAQ?

Elisabeth R Higgins

Sep 19, 1994, 10:38:11 AM9/19/94
In article <35cs98$m...@cat.cis.Brown.EDU> b...@cs.brown.edu (brent jackson) writes:
>...thus spake Elisabeth R Higgins ...
>\\ HEY! You forgot to quote the FAQ!!!
>\\
>\\ This is not a flame, tho, because I am caring and nurturing and
>\\ supportive.
>
>flames can't be caring and supportive?

Yes, but not nurturing. There is a difference between a flame and a
lecture. And if you don't watch your step, little mister, you'll soon
find out just what that is.

>you must be a weenerbrane if you think that's true, but a socially
>redeemable weenerbrane. with our support you could be a class-one
>double special citizen after a mere month or two of intensive shock
>therapy.

Oh, OK, I'll kill myself now. And it's your fault. (Handy shock therapy
tip: Wear those little "earbuds" to listen to music (Ramones is best for
this) and then take a Kleenex to wipe off the dust on your monitor. This
little ball lightning goes totally through your brain.)

Bite my butt. I went on this sort of tangent there for a minute and
almost forgot to tell you to do that.i
>-brent

HA! There's no such thing as a "brent." They are like snuffleupaguses.
SO I KNOW THAT YOU ARE LYING!!!!!

brent jackson

Sep 19, 1994, 8:53:42 PM9/19/94
...thus spake Elisabeth R Higgins...
\\ b...@cs.brown.edu (brent jackson) writes:
\\ >flames can't be caring and supportive?
\\ Yes, but not nurturing. There is a difference between a flame and a
\\ lecture. And if you don't watch your step, little mister, you'll soon
\\ find out just what that is.

is that a THREAT, lass?

\\ Oh, OK, I'll kill myself now.

what? and miss the chance to be rehabilitated as a class-one double special
citizen? oh, i daresay the ethereal overseers cabal won't like to hear that.
you ought to reconsider, i have friends in the karma committee and i can
make sure you come back as joel furr in your next life. you wouldn't like
that, trust me.

\\ Bite my butt.

do you think i'm some sort of of PREVERT?

\\ >-brent

\\ >
\\ HA! There's no such thing as a "brent." They are like snuffleupaguses.
\\ SO I KNOW THAT YOU ARE LYING!!!!!

i can't lie, it lowers my quantum karma index.

-brent

Elisabeth R Higgins

Sep 20, 1994, 11:09:56 AM9/20/94
In article <35lbqm$s...@cat.cis.Brown.EDU> b...@cs.brown.edu (brent jackson) writes:
Write what you will. I will wake up soon and there will be none of these
"brent"s. Life will make sense. I know it will.

THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A "brent" STOP STEALING MY THOUGHTS!!!

>is that a THREAT, lass?

No. I was just trying to inject a little discipline. Never mind. It was
a hollow threat. Don't hurt me, "brent."

>\\ Oh, OK, I'll kill myself now.
>
>what? and miss the chance to be rehabilitated as a class-one double special
>citizen? oh, i daresay the ethereal overseers cabal won't like to hear that.
>you ought to reconsider, i have friends in the karma committee and i can
>make sure you come back as joel furr in your next life. you wouldn't like
>that, trust me.

I thought I was going to be a zebu. I CALLED DIBS ON THAT!!!! no fair.
Worse yet, I could come back as an imaginary "brent."

>\\ Bite my butt.
>
>do you think i'm some sort of of PREVERT?

Of course. Aren't you?

>\\ >-brent
>\\ >
>\\ HA! There's no such thing as a "brent." They are like snuffleupaguses.
>\\ SO I KNOW THAT YOU ARE LYING!!!!!
>
>i can't lie, it lowers my quantum karma index.

I stand corrected. You don't exist, so of course you can't lie.

>-brent

STOP SAYING THAT!!!!

Lupus Yonderboy

Sep 20, 1994, 8:32:07 PM9/20/94
Thus spake web...@freenet3.scri.fsu.edu (Mike Weber):

>Can someone repost the Mentos FAQ?

ftp://ftp.netcom.com/pub/asuter/coolstuff/mentos.faq

You're welcome.

-- L. Yonderboy
Techo Elitist Swing Pig Dog...!!!

den...@netcom.com

Sep 23, 1994, 1:28:16 AM9/23/94
Hey! If you're so Fresh, why ain't ya rich??
(Hah, hah, I love this joke!).
--
den...@netcom.com

Clotty Peristalt

Sep 22, 1994, 6:16:57 PM9/22/94
Damn! I missed the repost of the Mentos FAQ!!

I have a question though: Is there a section for the Mentos Mythos? If not,
there should be, outlining the magical, mystical nature of our favorite mint,
Mentos, the Freshmaker.

--
Clotty Peristalt

". . . Loving all like friend and brother, hardly ever eat each other. . ."

Jack Johnson

Oct 8, 2021, 1:59:56 PM10/8/21
Can You Identify Whoever Was Jumping Around In That Advertisement For Lee Jeans?