Most hated commercials:

21 views
Skip to first unread message

Terence Mark

unread,
Dec 13, 1994, 2:54:30 PM12/13/94
to
You gotta hate the Jenga commercial. I don't know who I would strangle
first, the Rick Moranis look alike who blows it for everybody or that
idiot woman who talks to the Jenga pieces. If those are the kind of
people who play Jenga I don't want to have anything to do with the
game.


--
Terry Mark
tm...@psych.ucla.edu

Matt Spinetta

unread,
Dec 13, 1994, 7:10:32 PM12/13/94
to
...How about those BURGER KING Lion King commercials with all the
happy-go-lucky idiots singing "The Lion Sleeps Tonight"?...

...Or how about the new Mac commercials that portray all IBM users
as people that HAVE to have technological knowledge to own the computer
(which we DO, but so what!)...

-Matt
--
THE _/_/_/ _/_/_/ _/_/_/ _/_/ _/_/ _/_/ /\ /=========
_/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/_/ _/ - - - - / | \ ==========
_/_/_/ _/_/_/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ - - - / | \=======
_/ _/ |_| _/_/_/ _____/ _/ _/ - - <________|___> =======

David S. Bennett

unread,
Dec 15, 1994, 10:16:49 AM12/15/94
to
tm...@hannibal.psych.ucla.edu (Terence Mark) writes:

>You gotta hate the Jenga commercial. I don't know who I would strangle
>first, the Rick Moranis look alike who blows it for everybody or that
>idiot woman who talks to the Jenga pieces. If those are the kind of
>people who play Jenga I don't want to have anything to do with the
>game.

Jenga, Jenga, Jenga, My foot to your head ahahha now thats a commercial
I'd like to see. Someone booting that chick in the head while she is
chanting. I think actually the people who did the commercial are in a
satanic cult and that the jenga pieces are made up of human flesh and
bone. Nahhh I'm reading to much into it....but then again what does that
chanting really mean?!


--
-Shane " fighting the devil futility feeling the monster climb deeper
ben...@crl.com inside of me feeling him gnawing my heart away hungrily
I'll never lose this pain never dream of you again "
-R. Smith

Mordea

unread,
Dec 18, 1994, 4:30:29 AM12/18/94
to
Terence Mark (tm...@hannibal.psych.ucla.edu) wrote:
: You gotta hate the Jenga commercial. I don't know who I would strangle

: first, the Rick Moranis look alike who blows it for everybody or that
: idiot woman who talks to the Jenga pieces. If those are the kind of
: people who play Jenga I don't want to have anything to do with the
: game.

When you're right, Terence, you are _very_ right.
If you need a tie breaking vote on whom to strangle first, then here
it is. Go for the woman who chants "Jenga......Jenga?" The other guy
is a pathetic desperate puppy type, but that really isn't his fault. The
woman, well, she's just evil.

Mordea
--
"Alright! Alright! Let them eat PIE!" |-----|
-Marie Antoinette, last words | X |
|-----|

Terence Mark

unread,
Dec 19, 1994, 2:23:22 PM12/19/94
to
mor...@netcom.com (Mordea) writes:

>Terence Mark (tm...@hannibal.psych.ucla.edu) wrote:
>: You gotta hate the Jenga commercial. I don't know who I would strangle
>: first, the Rick Moranis look alike who blows it for everybody or that
>: idiot woman who talks to the Jenga pieces. If those are the kind of
>: people who play Jenga I don't want to have anything to do with the
>: game.

> When you're right, Terence, you are _very_ right.
> If you need a tie breaking vote on whom to strangle first, then here
>it is. Go for the woman who chants "Jenga......Jenga?" The other guy
>is a pathetic desperate puppy type, but that really isn't his fault. The
>woman, well, she's just evil.

I wish you had cast your vote earlier. I just got through strangling
the guy. Now, anyone know where that woman lives ?

--
Terry Mark
tm...@psych.ucla.edu

Jonathan Rubinstein

unread,
Dec 20, 1994, 9:54:56 PM12/20/94
to
I've never posted here before, but are the Mentos commercials just too
obvious to mention (Mentos, Fresh and full of life...)

Scott Heiferman

unread,
Dec 21, 1994, 2:40:02 PM12/21/94
to

the Pringles spots where they're all dancing & singing...

"can that bag full of pieces... gets your hand full of greases"

there's a recent one where it just opens with a guy belting something out -- what does he say?

those spots are so devoid of good that i can't even just watch & make fun of them


Bruce Ediger

unread,
Dec 21, 1994, 6:19:39 PM12/21/94
to
Scott Heiferman <heif...@ccmail.nhq.sony.com> wrote:
:the Pringles spots where they're all dancing & singing...

:there's a recent one where it just opens with a guy belting something out


:-- what does he say?

Something about "Crunchous!" and "If crunch is what you can't resist...".

Personally I find the "Pringles Ridges" commercials a real hoot, even
though I'm almost as disgusted by them as Mr Heiferman. They've invented
two new adjectives ("crunchous" and "ridge-inality") for one commercial,
the that actor lip-synches the jingle is totally annoying, you get to
see that one dancer has black underwear on, two of the CHIX featured have
red-dyed hair, they link Pringles Ridges to being accepted by one of the
red-heads.

The actors and actresses and dancers that Pringle's choose are always
either totally annoying or totally eye-catching. I wish there was a
close-up of the chick with black panties, though.

Elizabeth A Parker

unread,
Dec 21, 1994, 3:57:00 AM12/21/94
to

In article <3d85e0$b...@interport.net>,


Jonathan Rubinstein <j...@interport.net> wrote:
>I've never posted here before, but are the Mentos commercials just too
>obvious to mention (Mentos, Fresh and full of life...)

you know, i just don't think you're really understanding the true beauty
of thase mentos commercials...they're doing something that i just don't
think you find on american tv (aren't mentos commercials shown
internationally?)...try watching them again and wondering to yourself
"are they joking? how could they NOT be joking?"
--
_________________________________________________________________________
e...@gas.uug.arizona.edu "It is not good to be too free. It is not
good to have everything we need." --Pascal
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Carl R. Knecht

unread,
Dec 21, 1994, 11:35:01 PM12/21/94
to
I've got one that I absolutely DETEST! Those commercials that show a little
kid going into a shop and he has to have his first candy right away, then
you see him all grown up and he still has to have that first one. Here in
USA they are DUBBED in English -- the commercial is originally German!

Are they *THAT* cheap???

Carl R. Knecht - Sometimes I finish what I say, and sometimes

No Eraser Head

unread,
Dec 22, 1994, 4:58:19 AM12/22/94
to
In article <3davll$8...@covina.lightside.com>,
Carl R. Knecht <crkn...@lightside.com> wrote:
>I've got one that I absolutely DETEST! Here in
>USA they are DUBBED in English -- the commercial is originally German!
>
>Are they *THAT* cheap???
>
>Carl R. Knecht - Sometimes I finish what I say, and sometimes

Apparently not only are they that cheap, but they also are THAT
ignorant. One of the first reasons I ever hated that "Chocolate Riesens"
commercial is that they first make the kid look like he was in some kinda
30's era corner market, replete with old counter-balance scales and
knickers, but when the lil shit turns adult, he is some kinda preppie
gone awry or something. This guy must be some kinda vampire or something,
to be 8 years old in 1920, then about 30 in 1990--makes no sense.

Equally annoying is the awful lip synching that you pointed out.

What the HELL is a "Chocolate Riesen" anyway???


--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No Eraser Head
foo...@teleport.com
Portland, OR

Kathy Lee-Hall

unread,
Dec 22, 1994, 9:42:52 AM12/22/94
to

In a previous posting, Elizabeth A Parker (e...@helium.gas.uug.arizona.edu) writes:
> In article <3d85e0$b...@interport.net>,
> Jonathan Rubinstein <j...@interport.net> wrote:
>>I've never posted here before, but are the Mentos commercials just too
>>obvious to mention (Mentos, Fresh and full of life...)
>
> you know, i just don't think you're really understanding the true beauty
> of thase mentos commercials...they're doing something that i just don't
> think you find on american tv (aren't mentos commercials shown
> internationally?)...try watching them again and wondering to yourself
> "are they joking? how could they NOT be joking?"
> --
> _________________________________________________________________________
> e...@gas.uug.arizona.edu "It is not good to be too free. It is not
> good to have everything we need." --Pascal
> -------------------------------------------------------------------------


What is the big discussion with the mentos commercials? Apparently they
don't run up here in the Ottawa Valley. Are these ads for those chewy
mints? They certainly generated a lot of discussion. Why?

KLH
--
Kathy Lee-Hall (Centre of the Universe), Nepean, Ontario, CANADA

"Who would have thought a nuclear reactor could be so COMPLICATED?"
- Homer Simpson

Michael Savenelli

unread,
Dec 22, 1994, 11:19:58 AM12/22/94
to
Carl R. Knecht (crkn...@lightside.com) wrote:
: I've got one that I absolutely DETEST! Those commercials that show a little

: kid going into a shop and he has to have his first candy right away, then
: you see him all grown up and he still has to have that first one. Here in
: USA they are DUBBED in English -- the commercial is originally German!

: Are they *THAT* cheap???

Those are the Stork Chocolate Riesen ads. "Bitte, frau Lang." And, yes,
they are awful, but amusingly so. Kinda like Menthos ads.

Robert Tait Hermanson

unread,
Dec 22, 1994, 2:00:14 PM12/22/94
to
In article <3davll$8...@covina.lightside.com>,
Carl R. Knecht <crkn...@lightside.com> wrote:
>I've got one that I absolutely DETEST! Those commercials that show a little
>kid going into a shop and he has to have his first candy right away, then
>you see him all grown up and he still has to have that first one. Here in
>USA they are DUBBED in English -- the commercial is originally German!
>

YES! I HATE that commercial.
"Stork Chocolate Reisen" (What the hell is Reisen?)
And he always eats the first one.
Get some variety in your life kid, or some taste in junk food.
That is definitely the most annoying commercial on this planet.
I hope the fictional character catches some health problem from all that
chocolate.

Queensryche - Dream Theater - Rush - Aerosmith - Tyketto - Fates Warning
Cowboys 12-3* Chargers 10-5* Dolphins 9-6+ Raiders 9-6 Bears 9-6 Saints 6-9
Kings 0-0-0 Maple Leafs 0-0-0 Devils 0-0-0 Jazz 17-8 Knicks 12-10
Stars 0-0-0 Panthers 0-0-0 Penguins 0-0-0 Spurs 11-9 Lakers 14-8

Jonathan Rubinstein

unread,
Dec 27, 1994, 8:12:48 PM12/27/94
to
Craig Koller (cko...@netcom.com) wrote:

: Ditto on the Duracel commercials. I hated the puppets when they were
: tiny, now that they are lifesized and talk, I have to turn the channel.
: --
: cko...@netcom.com

No kidding...if I were a little kid I would have nightmares about those
commercials!!!

Lynda Moulton

unread,
Dec 27, 1994, 11:37:01 PM12/27/94
to

I dunno--am I the only person in front of the toob who watches with sickly
fascination? They're so deliciously 'burb. And I even chuckle when that
bozo gets hung up on the lobster at the mini-golf. For me, they are like
the car wreck that everyone slows down for... Something about the faces...
weird. But then I liked Max Headroom, too. For sheer, unadulterated
annoyance there is the Welch's Grape Juice Kid (but I seem to be alone in
that), and I haven't seen him for a while.

Lynda

Larry Botsikos

unread,
Dec 28, 1994, 12:30:53 PM12/28/94
to
How about those *stupid* Jenny Craig commercials, and that Hooked On Phonics
Commercial. Come on advertisers, Let's get creative. A bunch of stupid
kids sitting there telling everyone that they can read because of Hooked On
Phonics?

Give me a break!

Larry_B...@tvo.org

Xian_Zombie

unread,
Dec 29, 1994, 12:47:39 AM12/29/94
to
Larry Botsikos (Larry_B...@tvo.org) wrote:
: How about those *stupid* Jenny Craig commercials, and that Hooked On Phonics

: Commercial. Come on advertisers, Let's get creative. A bunch of stupid
: kids sitting there telling everyone that they can read because of Hooked On
: Phonics?

I wouldn't worry TOOOOOO much about Hooked on Phonics! :) Guess they have
cut a deal witht the government to, quoteing the newslady, "stop lying
about their product to the public"....joy joy joy. Now if we can get
sombody to prove that the dad character in the Duracell commercials is a
child molester, we won't have to watch THEM anymore.

And I DEFINATLY think, if there is a FAQ on here, that Mentos stuff should
be mentioned in there. Mentos rears it's ugly head on this group way to
much (cause EVERYBODY hates them!)


--
Fy...@Vulcan.Inlink.Com--CTLopez@UMR.Edu*--http://www.umr.edu/~ctlopez
"...I just want somthing I can never have..." Trent Reznor, NIN
===
THRILL KILL KULT MAILING LIST, Mail:FY...@VULCAN.INLINK.COM, Subject:ADD ME!
http://www.inlink.com/users/fydor/tkk.html

Brent Taylor

unread,
Dec 29, 1994, 12:32:31 PM12/29/94
to
The "Say it with Sign" video offer

Any and all Mentos

"Dance Mix USA" featuring the Clinton imitator

Michael Townsend

unread,
Dec 30, 1994, 11:30:17 PM12/30/94
to
In article <3dqq1d$t...@knot.queensu.ca>, moul...@post.queensu.ca (Lynda
Moulton) wrote:

> I dunno--am I the only person in front of the toob who watches with sickly
> fascination? They're so deliciously 'burb.

Anyone want to bet on seeing this gang in a major motion picture in '95?

-MT

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
Send tapes to Dad's New Slacks, P.O. Box 4272, Portland ME 04101-4272

RichS1

unread,
Dec 31, 1994, 12:02:47 AM12/31/94
to
>And I DEFINATLY think, if there is a FAQ on here, that Mentos stuff
should
>be mentioned in there. Mentos rears it's ugly head on this group way to
>much (cause EVERYBODY hates them!)

Not a very FRESH point of view!

There's a very funny Mentos FAQ that was here recently; can someone
re-post it?

Radix

unread,
Dec 31, 1994, 2:57:17 AM12/31/94
to
The Long John Silver's ads with the annoying old woman rocking in her chair
trying to be K@@L with dopey Bill and Ted expressions... For some reason
it's kinda like someone dragging their fingernails across the chalkboard
when it comes on...

I hate the Wendy's commercials with Dave Thomas too, he just annoys me
for some reason...

-sik...@axpvms.cc.utexas.edu

Jason Rigler

unread,
Dec 31, 1994, 1:27:36 PM12/31/94
to
Craig Koller (cko...@netcom.com) wrote:

: Ditto on the Duracel commercials. I hated the puppets when they were
: tiny, now that they are lifesized and talk, I have to turn the channel.
: --
: cko...@netcom.com

Okay, I'll get him down.
Guess not!
You're right mom, the museum CAN be fun.

PLEASE KILL ME!

--
// Colorado Springs, Colorado: Hell for the Open-Minded
\\kyw...@rainbow.rmii.com
// I don't really care what you think about my opinions.
This is not for you!--Pearl Jam
Do me a favor, don't do me no favors.--Abraham Eisenstein, Psych Teacher

Thomas J. Ringer

unread,
Jan 1, 1995, 10:07:12 AM1/1/95
to
>I hate the Wendy's commercials with Dave Thomas too, he just >annoys me
>for some reason...
yeah, me too! I think it's just the fact that he CANNOT, I repeat CANNOT act,
or come close to acting. And I hate Wendy's anyways. My mom went there once
and found a blood vessel floating in her chili. Another time, some surly
b--ch of a teller chewed me out for asking her not to put ice in my drink.
"You f--king s--t! What the f--k do you want me to do about it? You're so
goddamn cheap!".
I just took the food and left without paying.
But the kicker is that their burgers are square!
That is just a bit too strange for me!
"Semper Reprehendo ere Prehrendi Prehensum"
(I always find fault)

the original Bugsy

unread,
Jan 1, 1995, 11:04:40 AM1/1/95
to

Although I don't watch tv very often, i always seem
to catch the os/2 commercial with the geeks standing around
the monitor ..

Thanks for reinforcing the computer nerd stereotype, IBM.
--
-------------------------------------------
"I hate quotations..." Ralph Waldo Emerson
email bu...@telerama.lm.com pensfan@irc
-------------------------------------------

Phillip Burgess

unread,
Jan 1, 1995, 4:02:35 PM1/1/95
to
Thomas_J...@tvo.org (Thomas J. Ringer) writes:

[re: Wendy's]


>But the kicker is that their burgers are square!
>That is just a bit too strange for me!

Intel inside? :-)

--
Phillip Burgess (pbur...@netcom.com) >belch<
/* Happy 1995, plus four dollars for shipping and handling! */

Nathan F Miller

unread,
Jan 1, 1995, 10:30:37 PM1/1/95
to
Those Dave Thomas commercials really irk me too. Especially the
recent one with the dinner with the Howells. Every time that
woman exclaims "Look! tete de vole!" I squint to see if there's
a rodent head in that jello wedge.

--
Nathan F. Miller
"About people's sexual preferences I'll say this: without
deviations from the norm, there can be no progress." --Frank Zappa

robair...@bix.com

unread,
Jan 5, 1995, 3:14:28 AM1/5/95
to
In alt.tv.commercials you write:

>How about those *stupid* Jenny Craig commercials, and that Hooked On Phonics
>Commercial. Come on advertisers, Let's get creative. A bunch of stupid
>kids sitting there telling everyone that they can read because of Hooked On
>Phonics?

>Give me a break!

>Larry_B...@tvo.org

How much practice you think Kalene (age 5) got reading that prepared
speech? If I were running it, I'da given her a copy of "Ulysses" and
said, "The last 30 pages, Kalene. In one breath. Go for it. Stop
when you see a period."
The cruelest thing about Hooked on Phonics (other than being
so dang expensive) is that the phone numbers are letters! If you
can't read, how you gonna dial the phone? Hmm, tent letter, bumpy
letter, moon letter, pillow letter, comb letter...
--Robair

The Man in Plaid

unread,
Jan 5, 1995, 1:18:28 PM1/5/95
to
In article <9501050314...@BIX.com>, robair...@BIX.com wrote:

>How much practice you think Kalene (age 5) got reading that prepared
>speech? If I were running it, I'da given her a copy of "Ulysses" and
>said, "The last 30 pages, Kalene. In one breath. Go for it. Stop
>when you see a period."

Or how about "Finnegans Wake"? The poor kid would be messed up for life.

Better yet, just ask any of those kids a basic question about what they
just read. You think any of them actually understood what they were
mouthing on camera? Right! Sure, I could "read" grown-up books when I
was a pre-schooler, but that didn't mean I knew what the heck I was
reading!

Hooked on Phonics, gotta love it. Why bother reading to your kids or
raising them in a literate household, when it's far easier to shove
Nintendo at them until they're illiterate pre-teens and then sit them in
front of a bunch of cassettes and videotapes?

Hooked on Phonics: Mental Slim-Fast for a post-literate generation.


Regards,

Bryan

--
e-mail: bb...@oz.net
--
"Only the ephemeral is of lasting value." -- Eugene Ionesco

ZACKB TENN

unread,
Jan 6, 1995, 10:46:14 PM1/6/95
to
The Puttermans rule! I love them. The Putterman's are the best thing that
ever happened to TV.

Rick Diamant

unread,
Jan 9, 1995, 12:07:46 PM1/9/95
to
In article <3e47qo$h...@potogold.rmii.com>

sky...@rmii.com (Jason Rigler) writes:

>Craig Koller (cko...@netcom.com) wrote:
>
>: Ditto on the Duracel commercials. I hated the puppets when they were
>: tiny, now that they are lifesized and talk, I have to turn the channel.
>: --
>: cko...@netcom.com
>
>Okay, I'll get him down.
>Guess not!
>You're right mom, the museum CAN be fun.
>
>PLEASE KILL ME!

I think the main problem with the Putterman commercials is they appear to
be longer commercials, but usually are shown only in the shorter versions.
The problem is, the short versions don't make any sense. I know the
museum spot actually has a longer version, since I saw it on a TV in a bar
recently (unfortunately, I couldn't hear what was going on). I also have
seen the longer version of the miniature golf spot. I'm guessing there is
a longer version of the drive-in spot too, although I'm guessing it isn't
any better.

Any comments on commercials that have short and long versions, and where
the short version basically doesn't make any sense? Pepsi has made several
over the years, where if you don't see the original long one on the Super
Bowl, you don't know what the heck is going on.


Rick
(Newbie to this list, but not to USENET)
Message has been deleted

HIfromKIM

unread,
Jan 13, 1995, 8:13:27 PM1/13/95
to
It's good to see someone else who hates that "hookt on foniks wurkt for
mi" crap.

creativeg...@gmail.com

unread,
Jul 1, 2019, 5:33:01 PM7/1/19
to
On Friday, January 6, 1995 at 10:46:14 PM UTC-5, ZACKB TENN wrote:
> The Puttermans rule! I love them. The Putterman's are the best thing that
> ever happened to TV.

The Puttermans is actually the weirdest advertising campaign as well as the weirdest thing I ever seen. That battery-operated robot family just freaked me out sometimes.

What about the Energizer Bunny?

-Dilly
Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages