Flashback: If Smoking Doesn't Kill You, Superman Will. For the Government.

Ubiquitous

Mar 31, 2022, 10:42:39 AM3/31/22
These days, everyone knows that smoking doesn't do any favors for their
health. Back in the '80s, not so much. Over the years, government busybodies
have adopted some questionable tactics to pressure people to kick the habit.
Sometimes-humorous-sometimes-serious site Cracked just dug up a real gem on
this front: the British government once aired a PSA warning kids that if the
tobacco didn't kill them, Superman would.

From Cracked:

In one of the TV ads, Superman faces off against a new villain: Nick
O'Teen, a presumably Irish rogue bent on getting kids hooked on
cigarettes, which really doesn't seem so bad in the grand scheme of
villainy.

Superman arrives to apprehend the villain (and we're using the term
loosely, seeing as he's committing a misdemeanor at most), then takes
him to the authorities and makes sure he gets the mental help he
needs – or that's what would happen if Superman could be bothered to
fill out the paperwork. He can't, so instead he just throws the guy
into orbit.

If the shock didn't kill Nick O'Teen, something tells us the fall
probably did. Lex Luthor gets a slap on the wrist for plotting to
destroy the Earth, but if you try to give cigarettes to kids (for
free!), then it's a terrifying death for you. …

Superman doesn't even stop to consider the circumstances that might
have led Nick O'Teen to peddle cigarettes before murdering him.

Watch the video here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOOyD5ayrrk

--
Let's go Brandon!

anim8rfsk

Mar 31, 2022, 3:24:22 PM3/31/22
That’s really weird. The voices are English, but heavily accented English.
And the artwork is both rudimentary and overextended at the same time. I
wonder if this was a PSA some animation class did for their class project
or something.

> --
> Let's go Brandon!

A Friend

Mar 31, 2022, 3:48:44 PM3/31/22
In article
<1219723084.670446429.5...@news.easynews.com>,
> > free!), then it's a terrifying death for you. Š
> >
> > Superman doesn't even stop to consider the circumstances that might
> > have led Nick O'Teen to peddle cigarettes before murdering him.
> >
> > Watch the video here.
> > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOOyD5ayrrk
> >

> That¹s really weird. The voices are English, but heavily accented English.
> And the artwork is both rudimentary and overextended at the same time. I
> wonder if this was a PSA some animation class did for their class project
> or something.

This was one of four anti-smoking Superman v Nick O'Teen PSAs from the
Richard Williams Animation Studio. They were made in 1980 and 1981.
Later, Mr. Williams was the animation director on Who Framed Roger
Rabbit?

anim8rfsk

Mar 31, 2022, 4:57:25 PM3/31/22
Thanks.
Wow. I would have never suspected Williams did this.

Ubiquitous

Apr 1, 2022, 7:33:09 AM4/1/22
No one sounded British when I watched it.