Trevor Noah: When I see Trump, I see a stand-up comedian

Ubiquitous

Mar 9, 2017, 7:29:04 AM3/9/17
(CNN) – President Donald Trump is a lot like a stand-up comedian,
Trevor Noah said Wednesday — he “connects with audiences in the same
way.”

Speaking at “The Messy Truth,” a town hall series hosted by CNN
commentator Van Jones, “The Daily Show” host analyzed how Trump
interacts with a crowd.

Noah cited the tribute Trump made to Carryn Owens, widow of slain
Navy SEAL “Ryan” Owens, during a joint address to Congress. Jones
earlier drew criticism for calling it “one of the most extraordinary
moments you have ever seen in American politics.”

“During that moment with Ryan’s wife, Trump even told a joke and
people laughed, people connected,” Noah said. “When you watched
Trump, and what you said, my first instinct was, come again, man?
But then, when I watched it, I realized what you were saying. The
honest truth is that he became presidential in that moment. What’s
not scary is that he became presidential in that moment. I think
what’s scary is that it is that easy to become presidential.”

Jones, a staunch critic of Trump, said he did not regret his
remarks.

“It was an emotional moment,” he said. “I am proud of myself that I
can still get teary-eyed even during a Trump speech.”

But Jones wanted to make it clear that he still opposes the
President.

“I’m still afraid of Trump,” Jones said. “When I said he was
becoming presidential, that wasn’t just a compliment, that was a
warning.”

Jones said he does understand why people were upset and disappointed
with his comments, but warned of the dangers of demonizing your
political opponents.

“There’s a danger that we all become fear-based and fear-driven and
we give in 100% to this whole us-against-them hysteria, that we
close up our hearts, we just refuse to ever again take the risk that
maybe, maybe there’s still some good in some of the people we
disagree with. If that happens, a form of Trumpism has been
normalized in our hearts, in our hearts. And as a father and a human
being, that worries me, too.”

[Ironicly, when I see Trevor Noah, I don't see a stand-up comdeian.]