Music On Chicago Hope

Wayne Skip Elliott Bowman

Oct 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/8/96

: This is my first full season of watching CH. Has the music always
: been this hip? Tonite was Stevie Wonder's "Sir Duke" and Cal Tjader's
: "Guachijuara" (sp?). Last week was Gypsy Kings' "Bambolejo"(sp? I
: apologize for the misspelling). Was it always like this or did CBS wake
: up this year? I am tired of fixing the holes in the ceiling put there
: when I jump up in astonishment after hearing some happening sounds.

: Skeep 8-)#

--
skip...@teleport.COM Public Access User -- Not affiliated with Teleport
Public Access UNIX and Internet at (503) 220-1016 (2400-28800, N81)

Anthony B. Gilpin

Oct 12, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/12/96
to Wayne Skip Elliott Bowman

In the first season, the de facto star of the show was Mandy Patinkin as
Dr. Jeffrey Geiger. Patinkin has a gorgeous, angelic tenor voice, and
Geiger liked to sing obscure show tunes in the operating room. He also
played piano and sang when he was not performing surgery. In the first
season, CH viewers were treated to Mandy Patinkin singing:

I DREAMED A DREAM from "Les Miserables"
CASEY (And the Band Played On)
COFFEE IN A CARDBOARD CUP
POLITICAL SCIENCE or LET'S DROP THE BIG ONE NOW by Randy Newman
MARIE by Randy Newman
POISONING PIGEONS IN THE PARK by TOM LEHRER
SOMETHIN' STUPID (a sixties hit for Frank & Nancy Sinatra)
DON'T CRY FOR ME, ARGENTINA from "Evita" (an inside joke: Patinkin
played Che on Broadway)

In the first season, a classical guitar carried the melody of the theme
music, and was used extensively in the incidental music. This was
changed in the second season, in favor of new music which seems to have
been designed to sound more like the "ER" theme.
I would favor bringing back the Spanish guitar, just so Hector Elizondo
could do it as Dr. Henry Watters. Elizondo, who calls himself The Latin
from Manhattan, sings well, and plays a mean Spanish jazz guitar. I
think it would add a wonderful dimension to Watters' character.

Anthony Bruce Gilpin

Tina S

Oct 12, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/12/96

Rogers Cadenhead <rc...@airmail.net> wrote in article
<325fc65...@news.airmail.net>...

> On Sat, 12 Oct 1996 02:26:17 -0700, "Anthony B. Gilpin"
> <agi...@pacbell.net> wrote:
> >CASEY (And the Band Played On)
>

> Anyone know if Patinkin recorded this anywhere? His performance of
> this song was one of the high points of that year's television.
>
> Rogers

I believe he did! Check out his first CD; I think it's there (Even if it
isn't, all his CDs are worth owning).

Diane Rosenfeldt

Oct 12, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/12/96

"Anthony B. Gilpin" <agi...@pacbell.net> wrote:

>In the first season, the de facto star of the show was Mandy Patinkin as
>Dr. Jeffrey Geiger. Patinkin has a gorgeous, angelic tenor voice, and
>Geiger liked to sing obscure show tunes in the operating room. He also
>played piano and sang when he was not performing surgery. In the first
>season, CH viewers were treated to Mandy Patinkin singing:

>I DREAMED A DREAM from "Les Miserables"

>CASEY (And the Band Played On)

>COFFEE IN A CARDBOARD CUP
>POLITICAL SCIENCE or LET'S DROP THE BIG ONE NOW by Randy Newman
>MARIE by Randy Newman
>POISONING PIGEONS IN THE PARK by TOM LEHRER
>SOMETHIN' STUPID (a sixties hit for Frank & Nancy Sinatra)
>DON'T CRY FOR ME, ARGENTINA from "Evita" (an inside joke: Patinkin
>played Che on Broadway)

Er, actually, he didn't sing any of the above in the operating room,
except for "Something Stupid," which he only did in the operating room
because he and the others were quarantined there. His OR music of
choice was Motown, and he was heard to sing along with Gladys and the
Pips on "Midnight Train to Georgia" in, I think, the very first
episode. Most of the other songs listed were sung either to his wife
Laurie (or in her asylum's Christmas show), or in Russo's bar where
Geiger secretly sang. BTW he also sang bits of "Try a Little
Tenderness" and "I Wish I Could Forget You" from "Passion," and
"Rockabye Your Baby With a Dixie Melody". Also, "Casey" and "Marie"
were part of the "Casey Medley" (on his first album, "Mandy Patinkin")
which also includes the wonderful "Once Upon a Time" which he didn't
sing on the show.

As for the music being "hip", generally the OR music interrelates with
the story in some sort of punny or ironic way.

>In the first season, a classical guitar carried the melody of the theme
>music, and was used extensively in the incidental music. This was
>changed in the second season, in favor of new music which seems to have
>been designed to sound more like the "ER" theme.
>I would favor bringing back the Spanish guitar

Definitely!

Diane

Missy Kinzer

Oct 12, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/12/96

> On Sat, 12 Oct 1996 02:26:17 -0700, "Anthony B. Gilpin"
> <agi...@pacbell.net> wrote:
> >CASEY (And the Band Played On)
>

> Anyone know if Patinkin recorded this anywhere? His performance of
> this song was one of the high points of that year's television.
>
> Rogers

Casey is part of medley of songs on "Mandy Patinkin" including "And the
Band Played On", "Marie" and Once Upon a Time." A great song. Other
highlights IMHO include "Pretty Lady", "Anyone Can Whistle", "And No One
is Alone"

Missy

Stephanie M. Silberstein

Oct 13, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/13/96

In article <53p49q$h...@newsops.execpc.com>,

>BTW he also sang bits of "Try a Little
>Tenderness" and "I Wish I Could Forget You" from "Passion,"

not meaning to nit-pick, but "Try a Little Tenderness" isn't from
"passion" (I bought the sonudtrack the other day. It's wonderful, although
Donna Murphy's performance of "I Wish I COuld Forget You," doesn't even
come close to Mandy's, IMO.

>which also includes the wonderful "Once Upon a Time" which he didn't
>sing on the show.

I was disappointed a little by that. I think DEK often left the last verse
out when putting music on his shows... he cut the final verse from "The
Rainbow Conenciton" at Ginny's funeral on PICKET FENCES. Maybe it's
because of time constraints...

>As for the music being "hip", generally the OR music interrelates with
>the story in some sort of punny or ironic way.

I always loved that.

>>In the first season, a classical guitar carried the melody of the theme
>>music, and was used extensively in the incidental music. This was
>>changed in the second season, in favor of new music which seems to have
>>been designed to sound more like the "ER" theme.
>>I would favor bringing back the Spanish guitar
>
>Definitely!

Same here!

Steph

--
**Believe what you think... It doesn't matter if your thoughts are the
right ones or the bestest ones; they're just what you're thinking and

AslanAusTX

Oct 13, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/13/96

In article <325F64...@pacbell.net>, "Anthony B. Gilpin"
<agi...@pacbell.net> writes:

>Wayne Skip Elliott Bowman wrote:
>>
>> : This is my first full season of watching CH. Has the music
always
>> : been this hip? Tonite was Stevie Wonder's "Sir Duke" and Cal
Tjader's
>> : "Guachijuara" (sp?). Last week was Gypsy Kings' "Bambolejo"(sp? I
>> : apologize for the misspelling). Was it always like this or did CBS
wake
>> : up this year? I am tired of fixing the holes in the ceiling put
there
>> : when I jump up in astonishment after hearing some happening sounds.
>>
>> : Skeep 8-)#
>>
>> --

>In the first season, the de facto star of the show was Mandy Patinkin as

>Dr. Jeffrey Geiger. Patinkin has a gorgeous, angelic tenor voice, and
>Geiger liked to sing obscure show tunes in the operating room. He also
>played piano and sang when he was not performing surgery. In the first
>season, CH viewers were treated to Mandy Patinkin singing:
>
>I DREAMED A DREAM from "Les Miserables"

>CASEY (And the Band Played On)

>COFFEE IN A CARDBOARD CUP
>POLITICAL SCIENCE or LET'S DROP THE BIG ONE NOW by Randy Newman
>MARIE by Randy Newman
>POISONING PIGEONS IN THE PARK by TOM LEHRER

I loved this! This song comes into my mind frequently.

>SOMETHIN' STUPID (a sixties hit for Frank & Nancy Sinatra)
>DON'T CRY FOR ME, ARGENTINA from "Evita" (an inside joke: Patinkin
>played Che on Broadway)

Which episode was this in? I figure I would have remembered this since I
loved his performance as Che (in the recording; didn't see it in person,
unfortunately)

>I would favor bringing back the Spanish guitar, just so Hector Elizondo
>could do it as Dr. Henry Watters. Elizondo, who calls himself The Latin
>from Manhattan, sings well, and plays a mean Spanish jazz guitar. I
>think it would add a wonderful dimension to Watters' character.

Agreed!!! Where did I see him playing? I think it was on the Today show,
or some other morning show.

Derek

"We're lying in the gutter
but we're looking at the stars"

--------------------Dk--------------------

T. Carter

Oct 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/14/96

In article <53r8b9$e...@newsbf02.news.aol.com>, aslan...@aol.com
(AslanAusTX) wrote:

>DON'T CRY FOR ME, ARGENTINA from "Evita" (an inside joke: Patinkin
>played Che on Broadway)
Which episode was this in? I figure I would have remembered this since I
loved his performance as Che (in the recording; didn't see it in person,
unfortunately)

Episdode 2.7--"From Soup to Nuts"--Laurie, Geiger's ex-wife, marries
Gilbert and Don't Cry For Me, Argentina is performed as part of the
ceremony. Easily one of the best episodes of the second season.

Tanja

--
#######################################
Check out the Peter MacNicol Home Page:

Missy Kinzer

Oct 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/15/96

> >DON'T CRY FOR ME, ARGENTINA from "Evita" (an inside joke: Patinkin
> >played Che on Broadway)
> Which episode was this in? I figure I would have remembered this since I
> loved his performance as Che (in the recording; didn't see it in person,
> unfortunately)

> Derek

Derek,

This was in the episode where Geiger's ex-wife married the cravy that went
wacko when you mentioned the Red Sox losing to the Mets in World Series.

They were married by another Crazy who in addition to being a Minister
also thought *he* was Eva Peron.

The best in joke of the whole series IMHO was this guy repeatedly getting
in Geiger's face and saying and saying "Don't I know you?" In the end he
says " I know who you are, but I won't tell anyone." I just about laughed
myself right off the couch.

At the end of the wedding all guest sing "Don't Cry for Me Argentina."

I too loved Mandy as Che but never got to see him on Broadway. By the time
I saw it, he had left the cast. It was 1983, and I was very dissapointed
in the person who played Che. I have seen several traveling productions of
Evita and did have one that was close to on par with Mandy, but those are
*big* shoes to fill.

I will be seeing Mandy in concert in December and would die if he sang "Oh
What a Circus."

Missy

Anthony B. Gilpin

Oct 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/15/96
to Missy Kinzer

> I too loved Mandy as Che but never got to see him on Broadway. By the time
> I saw it, he had left the cast. It was 1983, and I was very dissapointed
> in the person who played Che. I have seen several traveling productions of
> Evita and did have one that was close to on par with Mandy, but those are
> *big* shoes to fill.
>
> I will be seeing Mandy in concert in December and would die if he sang "Oh
> What a Circus."
>
> Missy

If I went to a Mandy patinkin concert, I would request Stephen
Sondheim's "Finishing the Hat," from "Sunday in the Park with George." I
saw that show on cable (the closest I'll ever get to Broadway,) and I
loved the fiery passion and dreamy romanticism Patinkin invested into
the character of Georges Seurat.

Anthony Bruce Gilpin

viola

Oct 17, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/17/96

<>If I went to a Mandy patinkin concert, I would request Stephen
<>Sondheim's "Finishing the Hat," from "Sunday in the Park with George."

That's an interesting choice, but if I went to see Mandy in concert, my first choice
would still be a sound-proof booth.

Missy Kinzer

Oct 17, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/17/96

> If I went to a Mandy patinkin concert, I would request Stephen

> Sondheim's "Finishing the Hat," from "Sunday in the Park with George." I
> saw that show on cable (the closest I'll ever get to Broadway,) and I
> loved the fiery passion and dreamy romanticism Patinkin invested into
> the character of Georges Seurat.
>
> Anthony Bruce Gilpin

I remember the PBS special, but at the time, I had not deeloped a taste
for Sondheim yet. Too many words and too intense. Maybe it takes some
maturity, because now, 12 years later, I can't listen to "No More", "No
one is Alone", or "The Road You Didn't Take", without getting goosebumps.
I wish I could see the Video of "Sunday in the Park with George" now. Do
you know if it is out on video?

Missy

Brenda and Larry Clough

Oct 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/21/96

It was available on video, but is hard to find these days because they
quit printing them. They run SUNDAY every now and then on Bravo, the
cable channel.

Brenda

Joseph Baxter

Oct 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/22/96

>Anyone know if Patinkin recorded this [CASEY (And the Band Played On)]

>anywhere? His performance of this song was one of the high points of
>that year's television.
>

>asked Rogers

Mandy recorded the medley "Casey", consisting of "And the Band Played
On," "Marie," and "Once Upon a Time" on the self-titled CD ("Mandy
Patinkin") on CBS (c1989). He also perfomed it in concert on a recent
tour -- FANTASTIC show!! Same CD has "Coffee in a Cardboard Cup" (Kander
and Ebb), also mentioned in the original post.

A Mandy Fan with his sister's name

Jeff Rona

Oct 23, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/23/96

In article <54hh6a$2...@triglav.iwaynet.net>, fal...@mailbox.iwaynet.net
(Joseph Baxter) wrote:

> >Anyone know if Patinkin recorded this [CASEY (And the Band Played On)]
> >anywhere? His performance of this song was one of the high points of
> >that year's television.

I arranged and produced that recording of "Casey" specifically for the
show. It's not currently available on CD, but that may change in the near
future. It's based on the medley he sang for his own record, but is quite
different in many ways, to fit the mood and plot of the episode it was
done for.
If it becomes available I will try to let you know.

Jeff Rona

Damo...@hotmail.com

Nov 26, 2015, 6:55:16 PM11/26/15
Does anyone know which episode Mandy sang Casey? I remember it being at the end of a Christmas episode but don't know which one or even which season, it's been such a long time...

Any ideas?

Cheers
Damo