What if Seth Green and Lindsay Crouse didn't bail out?

Carmikl

Jun 12, 2002, 10:27:37 AM6/12/02
From the 29 January 2002 online edition of Entertainment Weekly, Marti
Noxon:

> Now that the first season is out on DVD, can you tell us about storylines that never made the cut?
>
> Actually, there were a lot of things we were going to do and never did. More recently, in season four,
> Maggie (Lindsay Crouse was going to be much more of a mother figure
for Riley, introducing him to
> another girl to lure him away from Buffy. We thought it would create
some Shakespearean jealousy, and
> then we went, ehhh, forget it. But most of the changes [throughout
the series] have had to do with
> actors coming and going. We had a lot more planned for Seth Green
(Oz), for example, but his departure
> [to do films] opened the door for Tara (Amber Benson), which was
something we never expected. And there
> would have been far more Angel-Buffy angst if he hadn't gotten his
own show.

Also, apparently at a convention where Jane Espenson was a panelist. She
said the Initiative storyline was something that they pulled out of
their hats at the last minute. Maggie Walsh was supposed to be a
motherly type to Riley. Maggie was supposed to be the season's Big Bad.
Maggie was supposed to drive a wedge between Buffy and Riley. It was
Maggie who was supposed to tell Riley about Angel to humiliate Buffy in
front of everyone at the Initiative.

Lindsay Crouse wanted out of her contract so she was killed off. Adam
was a last minute replacement as the Big Bad. Apparently Adam was
originally supposed to be a good guy, but when Lindsay Crouse wanted out
of her contract they had to scramble to find a new Big Bad. Lindsay
Crouse was signed for the whole season.

Both Seth Green and Lindsay Crouse bailing in the same season meant they
had to scramble. Certainly Tara's role would have been quite different,
or maybe there wouldn't have been a Tara at all. Personally I think
ASH's departure this season was even more devastating.

Boozy Smurf (aka Andrew Hatch/790)

Jun 12, 2002, 2:16:49 PM6/12/02

"Carmikl" <Car...@rcn.com> wrote in message

Maybe my brain is just not functioning today, but who is this Ash person?

Tara's death didn't even phase me. To me she was always a secondary
character, I liked the character and the actress, but the death just didn't
touch me. Although if you bring up Jenny Calendar I'm still bitter about
them killing her off!

Vincent J. Murphy

Jun 12, 2002, 2:49:22 PM6/12/02
On Wed, 12 Jun 2002 14:16:49 -0400, Boozy Smurf \(aka Andrew Hatch/790\) <jhtcn...@execulink.com> wrote:

>Maybe my brain is just not functioning today, but who is this Ash person?

Anthony Stewart Head. Giles. :)

VJM

Keith Goodnight

Jun 12, 2002, 4:59:46 PM6/12/02
In article <3D075A59...@rcn.com>, Carmikl <Car...@rcn.com>
wrote:

> Also, apparently at a convention where Jane Espenson was a panelist. She
> said the Initiative storyline was something that they pulled out of
> their hats at the last minute. Maggie Walsh was supposed to be a
> motherly type to Riley. Maggie was supposed to be the season's Big Bad.
> Maggie was supposed to drive a wedge between Buffy and Riley. It was
> Maggie who was supposed to tell Riley about Angel to humiliate Buffy in
> front of everyone at the Initiative.

This is the first time I've ever heard this. I've seen other
published interviews that say Lindsay Crouse was disappointed to learn
her character was destind to die halfway through the season-- i.e. the
exact opposite of this paragraph.

Does anybody have definitive info?

(Yeah, right, like I could tell if it was definitive based on a
Usenet posting...)
* Keith F. Goodnight, Anime Fan |"Pacifism only works *
* Keeper of Annapuma's Script Crypt |if everybody feels the *
* http://gsoft.smu.edu/ScriptCrypt/crypt.html|same." --Doctor Who *

Growltiger

Jun 12, 2002, 6:00:35 PM6/12/02
Previously on alt.tv.buffy-v-slayer, Car...@rcn.com wrote in article
<3D075A59...@rcn.com>...

I wonder. There were indications that the Initiative existed from the
first episode. If I recall, was not one of Sunday's minions hit by a
taser by a then unknown assailant? There were other indications that an
unknown force was at work in and around U.C. Sunnydale in further
episodes before it was all revealed to us.
--
Be seeing you,
Growltiger

Darwin Fish

Jun 12, 2002, 6:22:59 PM6/12/02
In article <MPG.177164003...@netnews.attbi.com>,
Growltiger <ty...@never.invalid> wrote:

> > Lindsay Crouse wanted out of her contract so she was killed off. Adam
> > was a last minute replacement as the Big Bad. Apparently Adam was
> > originally supposed to be a good guy, but when Lindsay Crouse wanted out
> > of her contract they had to scramble to find a new Big Bad. Lindsay
> > Crouse was signed for the whole season.

I don't want to sound like a jerk or attack ME and Joss or anything but
is it standard practice to let actors with contracts just walk anytime
they feel like it? It seems that a lot of the problems that Buffy has
had in previous seasons were the results of actors bailing out in
mid-production.

--
Let the Darwin fishes swim!
------------------------------------

Regertz

Jun 12, 2002, 7:05:20 PM6/12/02
I had thought there'd be more Walsh in S4...Too bad, LC missed a real chance to
get an interesting story line going with her approach (hard science, empirical)
vs Giles' (magics and faith) and contrasting them in their relationships to
their proteges...With Walsh perhaps trying to continue winning Buffy over as
well...

Shame, really...

Silveragent

Jun 12, 2002, 7:06:46 PM6/12/02
In article
<kgoodnig-4DDDD9...@newssvr11-ext.news.prodigy.com>,
Keith Goodnight <kgoo...@nospammail.smu.edu> wrote:

> In article <3D075A59...@rcn.com>, Carmikl <Car...@rcn.com>
> wrote:
>

> > Also, apparently at a convention where Jane Espenson was a panelist. She
> > said the Initiative storyline was something that they pulled out of
> > their hats at the last minute. Maggie Walsh was supposed to be a
> > motherly type to Riley. Maggie was supposed to be the season's Big Bad.
> > Maggie was supposed to drive a wedge between Buffy and Riley. It was
> > Maggie who was supposed to tell Riley about Angel to humiliate Buffy in
> > front of everyone at the Initiative.
> >

> This is the first time I've ever heard this. I've seen other
> published interviews that say Lindsay Crouse was disappointed to learn
> her character was destind to die halfway through the season-- i.e. the
> exact opposite of this paragraph.
>
> Does anybody have definitive info?
>
> (Yeah, right, like I could tell if it was definitive based on a
> Usenet posting...)

From what I've heard it was between Crouse's agent and ME; specifically
money $$$. Green supposedly wanted a better storyline to showcase his
talents (hey, yeah, hey being pretty much interchangable with Tara's
lines).

Boozy Smurf (aka Andrew Hatch/790)

Jun 12, 2002, 8:39:01 PM6/12/02

"Silveragent" <silver...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

I heard Seth wanted out because he was getting more demand for movie work
cause of his Austin Powers role instead of his Buffy role.

Boozy Smurf (aka Andrew Hatch/790)

Jun 12, 2002, 8:46:43 PM6/12/02

"Darwin Fish" <a...@a.edu> wrote in message

> In article <MPG.177164003...@netnews.attbi.com>,
> Growltiger <ty...@never.invalid> wrote:
>

> > > Lindsay Crouse wanted out of her contract so she was killed off. Adam
> > > was a last minute replacement as the Big Bad. Apparently Adam was
> > > originally supposed to be a good guy, but when Lindsay Crouse wanted
out
> > > of her contract they had to scramble to find a new Big Bad. Lindsay
> > > Crouse was signed for the whole season.
> > >

> I don't want to sound like a jerk or attack ME and Joss or anything but
> is it standard practice to let actors with contracts just walk anytime
> they feel like it? It seems that a lot of the problems that Buffy has
> had in previous seasons were the results of actors bailing out in
> mid-production.

bah. The loss of Marc Blucas was a blessing! Seth Green's loss was
definitely felt. It wasn't a big deal to lose Lindsay Crouse a whole 9
episodes earlier than planned. And ya know what, if Michelle Trachtenberg
left in the middle of season 7 I wouldn't mind that one bit.

The only Buffy depatures that really phased me were Robia LaMorte, Seth
Green, and Kristine Sutherland. I loved Eliza Dushku, but she got a great
ending on Angel so I don't mind her absence.

--
Help control the idiot population. Have your Hicks spayed or neutered.

BTR1701

Jun 13, 2002, 1:31:39 AM6/13/02
In article <qZRN8.24584$Z6.2...@nnrp1.uunet.ca>, "Boozy Smurf \(aka
Andrew Hatch/790\)" <jhtcn...@execulink.com> wrote:
the middle of season 7 I wouldn't mind that one bit.

> The only Buffy depatures that really phased me were Robia LaMorte, Seth
> Green, and Kristine Sutherland. I loved Eliza Dushku, but she got a
> great ending on Angel so I don't mind her absence.

If Seth Green handn't left, it would have been him lying dead on the
bedroom floor in "Seeing Red".

Boozy Smurf (aka Andrew Hatch/790)

Jun 12, 2002, 11:57:32 PM6/12/02

"BTR1701" <BTR...@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message

I doubt it. His departure really changed the direction of the series and I
doubt it would have been Oz who'd have died. It's easy to kill off
recurring character's, it's tougher to kill off contract regulars. And
aside from that, I dunno. I just can't see Oz taking Tara's place. It was
Tara who got Willow down that path of heavy magic. And also, Seth (being on
contract) wouldn't have been missing for the amount of eps Tara was this
season to make the whole just got back together thing and then killed in the
same episode.

Carmikl

Jun 13, 2002, 12:21:00 AM6/13/02

So leaving actually saved his life. Smart guy!

JLplsSS

Jun 13, 2002, 2:35:06 AM6/13/02
>> If Seth Green handn't left, it would have been him lying dead on the
>> bedroom floor in "Seeing Red".
>
>I doubt it. His departure really changed the direction of the series and I
>doubt it would have been Oz who'd have died.

>Boozy Smurf

Not according to Joss. His intent was for Willow to be Season Six's Big Bad
and whoever her love was at the time would have to be sacrificed to push her
over the edge.

Donna
My opinions might have changed, but not the fact that I am right.

Carmikl

Jun 13, 2002, 8:49:18 AM6/13/02
JLplsSS wrote:

> >> If Seth Green handn't left, it would have been him lying dead on the
> >> bedroom floor in "Seeing Red".
> >
> >I doubt it. His departure really changed the direction of the series and I
> >doubt it would have been Oz who'd have died.
>
> >Boozy Smurf
>
> Not according to Joss. His intent was for Willow to be Season Six's Big Bad
> and whoever her love was at the time would have to be sacrificed to push her
> over the edge.

That might have been the net result, but you would have to admit the
road travel to get to that point would have been much different. While
Oz would have remained Willows love interest, I don't think we would
have seen Buffy crying in Oz's lap in "Dead Things" for instance.

Boozy Smurf (aka Andrew Hatch/790)

Jun 13, 2002, 11:06:02 AM6/13/02

"Carmikl" <Car...@rcn.com> wrote in message

you never know, they could have bonded over him seeing her nude.

himiko

Jun 13, 2002, 11:24:34 AM6/13/02
Carmikl <Car...@rcn.com> wrote in message news:<3D075A59...@rcn.com>...

> From the 29 January 2002 online edition of Entertainment Weekly, Marti
> Noxon:
> >
> > Now that the first season is out on DVD, can you tell us about storylines that never made the cut?
> >
> > Actually, there were a lot of things we were going to do and never did. More recently, in season four,
> > Maggie (Lindsay Crouse was going to be much more of a mother figure
> for Riley, introducing him to
> > another girl to lure him away from Buffy. We thought it would create
> some Shakespearean jealousy, and
> > then we went, ehhh, forget it.

Too bad. This would at least have given Riley some character other
than soldier boy. He would have been a mama's boy, an interesting
follow-up to Angel. Also, a rather different story since the focus
would have been on that personal aspect as well as the
political/military one. As it was, it came off entirely as a
"question authority" piece. Not bad, but the mix would have been
better.

This also explains why they didn't think to ring in some other
military type as the big bad. They were thinking in terms of family,
so Adam as "brother" probably seemed a better option. I still don't
think he was; he was a fellow victim and should never have been played
as a big bad. But it's easier to see how and why they might have made
that decision.

himiko

Daniel Silverman

Jun 13, 2002, 11:50:21 AM6/13/02
Oz is a werewolf...
From watching Wolf Lake, turning into a werewolf after being accelerates the
healing process...

I doubt Oz would die from a bullet IMHO, unless he was shot in the head or
something...

Daniel Silverman

Keith Goodnight

Jun 13, 2002, 1:02:57 PM6/13/02
In article <3D0894CE...@rcn.com>, Carmikl <Car...@rcn.com>
wrote:

> That might have been the net result, but you would have to admit the
> road travel to get to that point would have been much different. While
> Oz would have remained Willows love interest, I don't think we would
> have seen Buffy crying in Oz's lap in "Dead Things" for instance.

Yes, such specifics will certainly be written around the characters
and their natures and would differ, but there's no real reason the broad
flow of the story would have had to be different.

Carmikl

Jun 13, 2002, 1:19:19 PM6/13/02

Warren only uses silver bullets.

Don Sample

Jun 13, 2002, 1:42:14 PM6/13/02
In article <1b3O8.7195$Ok1.4...@news2.west.cox.net>, Daniel Silverman
<da...@cox.net> wrote:

Whether or not Buffyverse werewolves have any sort of fast healing has
never been established. (Actually, in _Wild at Heart_ Oz still has
scratches from his first encounter with Veruca several hours later, so
he can't heal too fast.)

--
Don Sample, dsa...@synapse.net
Visit the Buffy Body Count at http://www.synapse.net/~dsample/BBC

Growltiger

Jun 13, 2002, 4:10:27 PM6/13/02
Previously on alt.tv.buffy-v-slayer, jlp...@aol.comnospam wrote in
article <20020613023506...@mb-fi.aol.com>...

> >> If Seth Green handn't left, it would have been him lying dead on the
> >> bedroom floor in "Seeing Red".
> >
> >I doubt it. His departure really changed the direction of the series and I
> >doubt it would have been Oz who'd have died.
>
> >Boozy Smurf
>
> Not according to Joss. His intent was for Willow to be Season Six's Big Bad
> and whoever her love was at the time would have to be sacrificed to push her
> over the edge.
>

> Donna

If you believe that then how do you reconcile Mr Whedon's comments that
he does not plan a series more than one season in advance?

Growltiger

Jun 13, 2002, 4:25:28 PM6/13/02
Previously on alt.tv.buffy-v-slayer, "Boozy Smurf \(aka Andrew Hatch/790
\)" <jhtcn...@execulink.com> wrote in article <hMUN8.24656$Z6.284083
@nnrp1.uunet.ca>...
[... snipped ...]

> aside from that, I dunno. I just can't see Oz taking Tara's place. It was
> Tara who got Willow down that path of heavy magic. And also, Seth (being on

I disagree. Willow was headed down that path anyway and Tara was a
fellow traveller. While it is true that the affinity began as a result
of a common interest in magic, Willow was always portrayed as the more
dominant partner. That was what irked me at first about Tara. In my
opinion, she was more of an appendage then a self-standing character
when she was first introduced. I thought the character came into her
own in season five and blossomed as the moral core of Buffy's gang this
year. In any case, Tara was always shown to understand the importance
of moderating the use of magic. An understanding that Willow found
inconvenient as she used magic to empower her and increase her standing
with Buffy.

Willow was heavy into magic since season two. It was she who restored
Angel's soul at the conclusion of season two. Her interest was given a
menacing quality in "Gingerbread" when we first see Willow and Amy
performing a magic ritual. That was also the episode where Willow and
her mother, Sheila, have an argument about Willow's involvement with the
occult. Willow was well along the path to spell casting before she met
Tara.

Growltiger

Jun 13, 2002, 4:31:18 PM6/13/02
Previously on alt.tv.buffy-v-slayer, da...@cox.net wrote in article
<1b3O8.7195$Ok1.4...@news2.west.cox.net>...

No doubt Joss Whedon would have determined an appropriate and yet
senseless way to slay Willow's significant other.

BTR1701

Jun 13, 2002, 7:23:42 PM6/13/02
In article <1b3O8.7195$Ok1.4...@news2.west.cox.net>, "Daniel
Silverman" <da...@cox.net> wrote:

You do realize that Wolf Lake has nothing to do with Buffy, don't you?
Since werewolves are fictional, there's no universal "rule" about how
they must be portrayed.

There are just as many other werewolf stories out there that portray
them as being normal humans when not in wolf form who can be killed just
like any other person can be.

incubus

Jun 13, 2002, 5:47:46 PM6/13/02

"BTR1701" <BTR...@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message

lets face it. The vampires in Buffy don't exactly conform to traditional
standards. I remember when I was a kid, I read a lot of vampire comics. Yes
I was that sad :-) and in those there were certain facts that don't appear
in Buffy

1. if you stabbed a vampire with a stake in the heart you would have to
leave it there as removing it would resurrect the vampire
2. During the day vampires had to sleep in a coffin with its native soil in
it and would return to a death like state.
3. Vampires could shapeshift into bats, wolfs and even smoke
4. Vampires Don't bleed or get injured
5. Vampires could not set foot in a church or look upon a holy relic
6. Older ones could control rodents
7. They could mesmerise a victim with a stare
8. Vampires were more primeval and didn't get emotionally involved with
people or other vampires for that matter

There are more differences but I have forgotten the rest :-)

Carmikl

Jun 13, 2002, 5:50:57 PM6/13/02
Don Sample wrote:

> In article <1b3O8.7195$Ok1.4...@news2.west.cox.net>, Daniel Silverman
> <da...@cox.net> wrote:
>
> > Oz is a werewolf...
> > From watching Wolf Lake, turning into a werewolf after being accelerates the
> > healing process...
> >
> > I doubt Oz would die from a bullet IMHO, unless he was shot in the head or
> > something...
> >
> > Daniel Silverman
>
> Whether or not Buffyverse werewolves have any sort of fast healing has
> never been established. (Actually, in _Wild at Heart_ Oz still has
> scratches from his first encounter with Veruca several hours later, so
> he can't heal too fast.)

But didn't the Werewolf hunter in the first episode when Oz became a
Werewolf use silver bullets? Real bullets must not be effective, even in
the Buffyverse.

Arnold Kim

Jun 13, 2002, 6:44:09 PM6/13/02

Keith Goodnight <kgoo...@nospammail.smu.edu> wrote in message

> In article <3D075A59...@rcn.com>, Carmikl <Car...@rcn.com>
> wrote:
>

> > Also, apparently at a convention where Jane Espenson was a panelist. She
> > said the Initiative storyline was something that they pulled out of
> > their hats at the last minute. Maggie Walsh was supposed to be a
> > motherly type to Riley. Maggie was supposed to be the season's Big Bad.
> > Maggie was supposed to drive a wedge between Buffy and Riley. It was
> > Maggie who was supposed to tell Riley about Angel to humiliate Buffy in
> > front of everyone at the Initiative.
> >

> This is the first time I've ever heard this. I've seen other
> published interviews that say Lindsay Crouse was disappointed to learn
> her character was destind to die halfway through the season-- i.e. the
> exact opposite of this paragraph.
>
> Does anybody have definitive info?

Her interview in The Watcher's Guide, vol. 2. She said that she was rather
surprised and disappointed uponhearing abou ther character's death.

> (Yeah, right, like I could tell if it was definitive based on a
> Usenet posting...)

Hey, you could check the guide for yourself...

Arnold Kim

Ben

Jun 13, 2002, 7:29:37 PM6/13/02
"Boozy Smurf \(aka Andrew Hatch/790\)" <jhtcn...@execulink.com> wrote in message news:<hMUN8.24656$Z6.2...@nnrp1.uunet.ca>...

Actually...I think it would have upset me more to see Oz get shot in
front of Willow. Especially since he's been in the show from almost
the start. ESPECIALLY if he had returned from controlling his
werewolf self and got back with Willow (excluding any messy Tara
entanglements), then they were totally happy...and THEN Oz got shot at
the end of Season 6. Not that I want to see Oz shot or anything...but
it would have had more impact. I've been expecting Tara to leave or
be off the show for awhile, so her dying (Even though she's not REALLY
gone...right? riiighhht?) was not that big if a surprise. Definately
not as big of a surprise as how Warren died.

Sam

Jun 13, 2002, 7:32:43 PM6/13/02
Don Sample <dsa...@synapse.net> wrote in message news:<130620021341170604%dsa...@synapse.net>...

> In article <1b3O8.7195$Ok1.4...@news2.west.cox.net>, Daniel Silverman
> <da...@cox.net> wrote:
>
> > Oz is a werewolf...
> > From watching Wolf Lake, turning into a werewolf after being accelerates the
> > healing process...
> >
> > I doubt Oz would die from a bullet IMHO, unless he was shot in the head or
> > something...
> >
> > Daniel Silverman
>
> Whether or not Buffyverse werewolves have any sort of fast healing has
> never been established. (Actually, in _Wild at Heart_ Oz still has
> scratches from his first encounter with Veruca several hours later, so
> he can't heal too fast.)

Though Cain, the werewolf hunter, did make a point of using silver bullets...

Don Sample

Jun 13, 2002, 8:24:20 PM6/13/02
In article <21ced21e.0206...@posting.google.com>, Sam
<sam_...@yahoo.com> wrote:

We see Cain making his own bullets, but nothing is said about what they
were made of. And even if they were silver, maybe he just had a Lone
Ranger complex.

Rowan Hawthorn

Jun 13, 2002, 8:53:10 PM6/13/02

"Don Sample" <dsa...@synapse.net> wrote in message

Or just making sure. I know in a lot of the *old* werewolf stories, you
didn't need silver to kill one, but after all these bleedin' movies got the
issue confused, if *I* were hunting one, I don't think I'd gamble on whether
they were wrong!

*BANG*

...oh, F-!

--
Rowan Hawthorn

Sleeper

Jun 13, 2002, 10:42:37 PM6/13/02

Carmikl <Car...@rcn.com> wrote in message news:3D075A59...@rcn.com...
> > From the 29 January 2002 online edition of Entertainment Weekly, Marti
> > Noxon:
> >
> > in season four, Maggie (Lindsay Crouse was going to be much more of a
> > mother figure for Riley, introducing him to another girl to lure him
> > away from Buffy. We thought it would create some Shakespearean jealousy,
> > and then we went, ehhh, forget it.
>
> Maggie Walsh was supposed to be a
> motherly type to Riley. Maggie was supposed to be the season's Big Bad.
> Maggie was supposed to drive a wedge between Buffy and Riley. It was
> Maggie who was supposed to tell Riley about Angel to humiliate Buffy in
> front of everyone at the Initiative.

The thing is would people have cared that Buffy and Riley were being driven
apart? I'm not sure I'd have been desperately interested in the Maggie/Riley
relationship. Since Buffy is meant to be the central character surely the
drama should focus on a her rather than Riley. Now a Giles/Maggie struggle
over Buffy's soul could have been fascinating but a Buffy/Maggie struggle
over Riley? I've never understood the logic of shifting the dilemma to a
newly introduced third party. It makes no sense to me.

Sleeper
--
'It's a library; only the stupid and the evil are afraid of those.'
The Bridge, Iain Banks

Keith Goodnight

Jun 14, 2002, 12:02:49 AM6/14/02
In article <aeb76t$2j6$1...@bob.news.rcn.net>,
"Arnold Kim" <ki...@erols.com> wrote:

> Her interview in The Watcher's Guide, vol. 2. She said that she was rather
> surprised and disappointed uponhearing abou ther character's death.
>
> > (Yeah, right, like I could tell if it was definitive based on a
> > Usenet posting...)
>
> Hey, you could check the guide for yourself...

The Watcher's Guide is indeed one of the published interviews I was
citing about Crouse's departure and Walsh's fate. But there's always the
possibility that it just represents a "party line" and more truth is
found elsewhere.

It could be that a longer presence for Walsh was considered in "rough
draft" versions of the season-long arc but was then revised away, and
writer discussions of this were erroneously morphed into a view that
this was a last-minute change based on Crouse's departure. Or it could
be that the Watcher's Guide is a fluff piece and that's really how it
happened. Or that...

I'm having two many "ors." Oh well...

Keith Goodnight

Jun 14, 2002, 12:10:29 AM6/14/02
In article <wp8O8.1645$CW3.1...@news8-gui.server.ntli.net>,
"incubus" <inc...@hellfire-club.com> wrote:

> lets face it. The vampires in Buffy don't exactly conform to traditional
> standards. I remember when I was a kid, I read a lot of vampire comics. Yes
> I was that sad :-) and in those there were certain facts that don't appear
> in Buffy

As near as I can tell, there really are no "traditional" standards
for vampires, at least if by that you mean "going back into actual myths
and legends." After reading an intriguiging book about vampire legends,
it seems to me (the book didn't draw this conclusion, it's my own stab
in the hear-- er, dark) that pretty much the entire modern picture of
the vampire as played in Hollywood and Gothic fiction comes from Bram
Stoker's "Dracula", and Stoker actually made up most of it on his own.

Actual legends appear to be enormously miscellaneous and seldom
include these familiar pieces, while they often *do* include pieces that
we (and Hollywood) would say just belong to ghosts, werewolves, zombies,
and the like.

Buffy has actually played on this a bit in "Buffy v Dracula" when
Spike blames Dracula for spilling the beans about vampire weaknesses--
implying that before Dracula's story was written, most myth and legend
knew little or nothing about them. (Presumably Watchers and other
supernatural experts knew more...)

BTR1701

Jun 14, 2002, 2:51:59 AM6/14/02
In article <3D0913C1...@rcn.com>, Carmikl <Car...@rcn.com>
wrote:

In many stories, it takes silver to kill a werewolf when it's in wolf
form but the other 26 or so days of the month when they are human, they
can be killed just like anyone else can.

Tim McGaughy

Jun 14, 2002, 1:58:14 AM6/14/02
in article 130620022021411075%dsa...@synapse.net, Don Sample at
dsa...@synapse.net wrote on 6/13/02 7:24 PM:

> In article <21ced21e.0206...@posting.google.com>, Sam
> <sam_...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> Don Sample <dsa...@synapse.net> wrote in message

>>> Whether or not Buffyverse werewolves have any sort of fast healing has
>>> never been established. (Actually, in _Wild at Heart_ Oz still has
>>> scratches from his first encounter with Veruca several hours later, so
>>> he can't heal too fast.)
>>
>> Though Cain, the werewolf hunter, did make a point of using silver bullets...
>
> We see Cain making his own bullets, but nothing is said about what they
> were made of.

And why would he make his own bullets, then?

> And even if they were silver, maybe he just had a Lone
> Ranger complex.

Or perhaps, just perhaps, he knew about the legends that werewolves can only
be killed by a silver bullet.

Don Sample

Jun 14, 2002, 8:52:09 AM6/14/02
In article <B92EF025.48CF9%tee...@jump.net>, Tim McGaughy
<tee...@jump.net> wrote:

> in article 130620022021411075%dsa...@synapse.net, Don Sample at
> dsa...@synapse.net wrote on 6/13/02 7:24 PM:
>
> > In article <21ced21e.0206...@posting.google.com>, Sam
> > <sam_...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> >

> >> Though Cain, the werewolf hunter, did make a point of using silver
> >> bullets...
> >
> > We see Cain making his own bullets, but nothing is said about what they
> > were made of.
>
> And why would he make his own bullets, then?

Lots of people make their own bullets. He might have requirements
(other than material) that aren't easily met with store bought bullets.
His rifle didn't look like it had been bought in K-Mart. Maybe it used
a wierd calibre bullet.

Rowan Hawthorn

Jun 14, 2002, 9:55:25 AM6/14/02

> In article <B92EF025.48CF9%tee...@jump.net>, Tim McGaughy
> <tee...@jump.net> wrote:
>
> > in article 130620022021411075%dsa...@synapse.net, Don Sample at
> > dsa...@synapse.net wrote on 6/13/02 7:24 PM:

> > > We see Cain making his own bullets, but nothing is said about what
they
> > > were made of.
> >
> > And why would he make his own bullets, then?
>
> Lots of people make their own bullets. He might have requirements
> (other than material) that aren't easily met with store bought bullets.
> His rifle didn't look like it had been bought in K-Mart. Maybe it used
> a wierd calibre bullet.

Actually, it could be even simpler than that - I reload and cast my own
bullets for certain calibers because it's a whole lot cheaper than factory
ammo. Used automotive wheel weights make great inexpensive bullets for
plinking, and I can control how heavy a powder charge I want as well.

--
Rowan Hawthorn

Timothy A. McDaniel

Jun 14, 2002, 4:56:21 PM6/14/02
In article <B92EF025.48CF9%tee...@jump.net>,
Tim McGaughy <tee...@jump.net> wrote:
>in article 130620022021411075%dsa...@synapse.net, Don Sample at
>dsa...@synapse.net wrote on 6/13/02 7:24 PM:
>> We see Cain making his own bullets, but nothing is said about what
>> they were made of.
>
>And why would he make his own bullets, then?
>
>> And even if they were silver, maybe he just had a Lone Ranger
>> complex.
>
>Or perhaps, just perhaps, he knew about the legends that werewolves
>can only be killed by a silver bullet.

That doesn't mean that the legends are true. If he was making silver
bullets, it might be on a "Pascal's Wager" basis: if the legend IS
true, then using lead bullets is a way for him to get very quickly and
very messily dead. Better safe than splattered.

At least one traditional legend we have (as of now) been told is
false: several people in episodes have said that leprechauns do not
exist. (The writers could change their minds, of course, and make
them crucial to the season seven finale, say, but that's the current
canon.) Werewolves and silver bullets could be another false thing.

--
Tim McDaniel is tm...@jump.net; if that fail,
tm...@us.ibm.com is my work account.

Bill & Nancy Harris

Jun 14, 2002, 7:30:16 PM6/14/02
Did anyone else notice that Cain was the same guy as Sahrjon on Angel
this season? Is it possibly related?

Don Sample

Jun 14, 2002, 8:48:15 PM6/14/02
In article
<4E34B160CCD511AC.5999A36C...@lp.airnews.net>,
Bill & Nancy Harris <mar...@airmail.net> wrote:

> Did anyone else notice...?

The answer to all questions starting with those four words is "Yes."

David Cheatham

Jun 14, 2002, 10:00:22 PM6/14/02
On Fri, 14 Jun 2002 16:56:21 -0400, Timothy A. McDaniel wrote:

> In article <B92EF025.48CF9%tee...@jump.net>, Tim McGaughy
> <tee...@jump.net> wrote:
>>in article 130620022021411075%dsa...@synapse.net, Don Sample at
>>dsa...@synapse.net wrote on 6/13/02 7:24 PM:
>>> We see Cain making his own bullets, but nothing is said about what
>>> they were made of.
>>
>>And why would he make his own bullets, then?
>>
>>> And even if they were silver, maybe he just had a Lone Ranger complex.
>>
>>Or perhaps, just perhaps, he knew about the legends that werewolves can
>>only be killed by a silver bullet.
>
> That doesn't mean that the legends are true. If he was making silver
> bullets, it might be on a "Pascal's Wager" basis: if the legend IS true,
> then using lead bullets is a way for him to get very quickly and very
> messily dead. Better safe than splattered.
>
> At least one traditional legend we have (as of now) been told is false:
> several people in episodes have said that leprechauns do not exist. (The
> writers could change their minds, of course, and make them crucial to
> the season seven finale, say, but that's the current canon.) Werewolves
> and silver bullets could be another false thing.

Also, zombies do not eat brains. (Unless someone tells them to, but that
would just be silly and pointless.)

--
da...@creeknet.com

Nopel

Jun 17, 2002, 8:58:49 AM6/17/02
On 13 Jun 2002 16:29:37 -0700, roo...@yahoo.com (Ben) wrote:

[snip]

>it would have had more impact. I've been expecting Tara to leave or
>be off the show for awhile, so her dying (Even though she's not REALLY
>gone...right? riiighhht?)

She's an ex-witch.

Nopel

Mark Jones

Jun 17, 2002, 11:58:08 AM6/17/02

She's pinin' for the fyords.

She's just resting.

She's pushing up daisies.

She's rung down the curtain and joined the choir invisible.

--
Mark Jones

"This is a matter of opinion--I disagree."
"Are you kidding? This is USENET! Two men enter, one man leaves!"
--from a usenet discussion

him...@nospam.com

Jun 17, 2002, 8:13:08 PM6/17/02
In article <u6nrguogj4pift0me...@4ax.com>, Nopel

You don't think she's just pining for the fjords?

himiko

NewsOne.Net prohibits users from posting spam. If this or other posts
made through NewsOne.Net violate posting guidelines, email ab...@newsone.net

David H. Ellison

Jun 25, 2002, 1:29:24 AM6/25/02
Thoght ASH was supposed to be in the spin-off "Ripper". Any more word on this?

Growltiger wrote:

> Previously on alt.tv.buffy-v-slayer, Car...@rcn.com wrote in article
> <3D075A59...@rcn.com>...

> > From the 29 January 2002 online edition of Entertainment Weekly, Marti
> > Noxon:
> > >

> > > Now that the first season is out on DVD, can you tell us about storylines that never made the cut?
> > >
> > > Actually, there were a lot of things we were going to do and never did. More recently, in season four,

> > > Maggie (Lindsay Crouse was going to be much more of a mother figure
> > for Riley, introducing him to
> > > another girl to lure him away from Buffy. We thought it would create
> > some Shakespearean jealousy, and

> > > then we went, ehhh, forget it. But most of the changes [throughout
> > the series] have had to do with
> > > actors coming and going. We had a lot more planned for Seth Green
> > (Oz), for example, but his departure
> > > [to do films] opened the door for Tara (Amber Benson), which was
> > something we never expected. And there
> > > would have been far more Angel-Buffy angst if he hadn't gotten his
> > own show.

> > Also, apparently at a convention where Jane Espenson was a panelist. She
> > said the Initiative storyline was something that they pulled out of

> > their hats at the last minute. Maggie Walsh was supposed to be a

> > motherly type to Riley. Maggie was supposed to be the season's Big Bad.
> > Maggie was supposed to drive a wedge between Buffy and Riley. It was
> > Maggie who was supposed to tell Riley about Angel to humiliate Buffy in
> > front of everyone at the Initiative.
> >

> > Lindsay Crouse wanted out of her contract so she was killed off. Adam
> > was a last minute replacement as the Big Bad. Apparently Adam was
> > originally supposed to be a good guy, but when Lindsay Crouse wanted out
> > of her contract they had to scramble to find a new Big Bad. Lindsay
> > Crouse was signed for the whole season.
> >
> > Both Seth Green and Lindsay Crouse bailing in the same season meant they
> > had to scramble. Certainly Tara's role would have been quite different,
> > or maybe there wouldn't have been a Tara at all. Personally I think
> > ASH's departure this season was even more devastating.
> >

> I wonder. There were indications that the Initiative existed from the
> first episode. If I recall, was not one of Sunday's minions hit by a
> taser by a then unknown assailant? There were other indications that an
> unknown force was at work in and around U.C. Sunnydale in further
> episodes before it was all revealed to us.

Darwin Fish

Jun 25, 2002, 3:17:24 AM6/25/02
> Growltiger wrote:
>

> > I wonder. There were indications that the Initiative existed from the
> > first episode. If I recall, was not one of Sunday's minions hit by a
> > taser by a then unknown assailant? There were other indications that an
> > unknown force was at work in and around U.C. Sunnydale in further
> > episodes before it was all revealed to us.
> > --

Before the Initiative showed up I had assumed that Maggie had discovered
the existance of vampires and was using them as guinea pigs for various
psych experiments. I figured it was just her and her grad students,
capturing vampires and locking them up in the basements of the
university, performing experiments that they couldn't perform on humans.
To me that would have been a cooler idea since you don't need to have a
huge hidden base under campus and it does not make the Slayer's job
completely redundant since you don't have an armed squad of demon-hunter
doing her job, just your everyday mad scientist.

Buffy the Vampire Slayer - Season Six; Tabula Rasa

SPIKE: I must be a noble vampire. A good guy. On a mission of redemption.
I help the hopeless. I'm a vampire with a soul.
BUFFY: A vampire with a soul? Oh my god, how lame is that?